DT 28324 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 28324 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Saturday Crossword Club

Some hints follow.

1a    Supporting one of the Beatles in Melbourne’s excellent (7,3)
The adopted first name of one of the Beatles inside an Australian word meaning excellent

9a    Knot that requires cold attachment — snag! (5,5)
A charade of C(old), a romantic attachment and a snag

13a    Replacement of trouser damaged round top of groin area (9)
An anagram (damaged) of TROUSER around the initial letter (top) of G[roin] and A(rea)

15a    Relating to a subject — one that’s generally taught seeing ma’s not around (8)
Start with a subject that’s generally taught in schools and drop (not) MA S from around the outside

20a    New York guy’s after kicks in Morecambe, say (8)
The abbreviation for New York and a guy or chap preceded by (after) kicks or pleasure give a word that describes Eric Morecambe

23a    Clumsy admiral to set out (9)
The task here is to determine which is the definition and which indicates the anagram of ADMIRAL TO – I’ve done it for you!

28a    Peer ahead endlessly (4)
To get the title of this peer of the realm, drop the final letter (endlessly) from an adverb meaning ahead

29a    Cockney who’s decorated a line in old capital (6,4)
A and an abbreviation for a train line inside the old name for an Asian capital

1d    Promote footballer (4)
Two definitions

3d    Drink from America co-eds brewed (3-5,4)
This once-popular drink is seldom seen these days – we used to buy it from a salesman who came round our street every Sunday – it’s an anagram (brewed) of AMERICA CO-EDS

4d    Receives help that’s denied (8)
A verb meaning receives followed by some help

7d    Rough wind reported threatening ship (7)
Split as (4,3) this pirate ship sounds like (reported) a rough wind

8d    Nottingham finally with place in Europe in draw showing Forest’s limitations (6,4)
The final letter of [Nottingha]M and a six-letter European city inside a three-letter word meaning a draw

11d    Dish in kitchen where they’re all hoping for a strike (7,5)
A type of dish or basin followed by IN from the clue and a kitchen on board a ship

14d    Make smooth run in heritage railway? (10)
R(un) inside what could be a heritage railway (5,4)

21d    One’s shaken, not stirred, seeing skill in car (7)
… especially if you are James Bond!

25d    The sound of a horse that’s eaten nothing, waiting impatiently (4)
The A from the clue and what the two letters that can represent (sound of) a childish word for a horse around (eaten) O (nothing)

The Crossword Club is now open.

Please read these instructions carefully – they are not subject to debate or discussion. Offending comments may be redacted or, in extreme cases, deleted. In all cases the administrator’s decision is final.

The Quick Crossword pun: castor+weigh=castaway

1. Senf
    Posted January 14, 2017 at 11:21 am | Permalink

The cerebral lubricant accompanying the solving of this puzzle was a glass, or two, of ‘Late Vintage’ Cockburn’s Port, and it seemed to work quite well (do they still have the TV commercials, especially around Christmas, which include ‘don’t say Cock, say Co’?) – */*** for me.

That bird again at 26a, and the same for the ********* at 24a.

Long favourites 11d and 14d. Short favourites 6a and 10a.

Thanks to the setter and BD.

• Jane
      Posted January 14, 2017 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Hi Senf,
      Haven’t seen that advert for many a long year but I always look forward to the seasonal offering from Red Grouse – amazes me that they keep coming up with a new one.

• Ora Meringue
        Posted January 14, 2017 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Was there a Grouse advert this year?

If there was, I must have missed it.

• Jane
          Posted January 14, 2017 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Yes – 2016 was ‘perfectly balanced’. Red Grouse standing on one leg with wings outstretched atop a needle-shaped pinnacle in a mountain range. Mr. Google will show you!

• Ora Meringue
            Posted January 14, 2017 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

I will google it immediately…cannot believe I missed it as I too look forward to seeing them.

Anyone remember the Cointreau adverts?
            They were great until Jasper Carrot parodied them …which killed them.

• Badger
              Posted January 14, 2017 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

I think I’m right in saying that the content has been ‘dumbed down’ -it used to be a blended malt, and is now a blended whisky, so appealing to a different clientele.
              I took some time today, being driven to Cheshire rough draft on my knee.
              Got there in the end – despite the convolution e.g 1a 16a 8d. Enjoyed though. Thx BD & setter.

• Senf
        Posted January 14, 2017 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Jane and OM – so, do you like the adverts or what is being advertised?

• Jane
          Posted January 14, 2017 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Just the adverts – brandy’s my poison of choice!

Posted January 14, 2017 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

My favourite tipple, I buy the stuff wholesale. They never advertise it here, don’t know why.

• Jaydubs
      Posted January 14, 2017 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the hint for 24a, it was my last in. I found this a bit tougher than usual.
      Thanks to setter and BD. Racking my brains now to remember the Cointreau ads.

• Shropshirebloke
      Posted January 14, 2017 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

*********? Thanks for the hint. I have a completely different four letter word that equally makes sense and goes over one’s head.

• Posted January 15, 2017 at 9:21 am | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Shropshirebloke

• Shropshirebloke
          Posted January 17, 2017 at 9:03 am | Permalink

• Ridgerunner
      Posted January 14, 2017 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Ah, seeing yor comment on 24a i get a distinct and intangible feeling that I’ve got the wrong jumper.

• Senf
        Posted January 14, 2017 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

Ridgerunner – the ‘A’ from the clue and an *********, with a name that is also a slang/derogatory term for ***************, with the last letter deleted (shrunk) – I hope that doesn’t get me sent to the naughty corner. [It did! Stick to using the words in the clue. BD]

• Phil
          Posted January 14, 2017 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

Thanks for that Senf – I just couldn’t see it

• Hippyajs
          Posted January 14, 2017 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

Also my last answer put in, thanks for the reasoning behind it.

• Spacehopper
          Posted January 15, 2017 at 11:48 pm | Permalink

Thanks for your attempt to help Senf but despite trying to interpolate the redactions I have failed to solve this one clue. I’m beginning to think the jumper is a word I might not have come across. An electronic search using the two checked letters brings up a short list but I can’t make any of the words fit the clue even adding another letter to take care of the shrinking. It’s many a long year since I’ve given up on such a short clue!

• Posted January 15, 2017 at 11:52 pm | Permalink

See my reply to Bob @ #30.

• Spacehopper
            Posted January 16, 2017 at 12:09 am | Permalink

Ah, spoke too soon. I’ve just seen it! I had to re-examine the quite long list of words without the initial letter plus one extra for the shrinkage before I saw it. Shame I’d already submitted my solution with a wrong answer here. Ah well. There’s always next week. Thanks BD I posted before I saw your reply.

• jean-luc cheval
      Posted January 14, 2017 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

I only remember the one with the Russian who looked like Brejnev on the tube to Cockfosters.

• Spacehopper
        Posted January 15, 2017 at 11:36 pm | Permalink

I think that the Brezhnev lookalike was played by Richard Marner who also played Colonel von Klinkerhoffen (or some such name) in ‘Allo ‘Allo.

• Posted January 15, 2017 at 11:48 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Spacehopper

• Spacehopper
            Posted January 16, 2017 at 12:19 am | Permalink

Thanks BD. I’ve been a follower for some time but never posted before. My frustration with 24a drove me to it!!! :-)

2. Young Salopian
    Posted January 14, 2017 at 11:28 am | Permalink

A really enjoyable and not over taxing puzzle for a damp Saturday morning. Several notable clues, but I particularly liked 11 and 14 down, like Senf at #1. Last one in 8 down. Was 2*/4* for me.

Thanks to the setter and BD. Off to see Wasps v Toulouse shortly.

• Miffypops
      Posted January 14, 2017 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Another day out at The Circus YS?

• Young Salopian
        Posted January 14, 2017 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

I know it isn’t Coventry or smaller club rugby, but we enjoy it. Forget the hype and enjoy the game.

• Miffypops
          Posted January 14, 2017 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

How can you ignore the hype. The drummers What is that about. The idiot screaming Allez Allez Allez at top amplified volume. The chap in the middle of every other row who has to disturb everybody during play because he wants some chips. Then disturbs everybody again when he returns with his chips. Then disturbs everybody because he wants a pint and again because he needs to pee. Doing a Mexican wave against Bath whilst the Wasps kicker was lining up to take a penalty. Is there a game going on? 80% of the crowd have no idea. I will cherry pick the odd game here and there but will not be buying a season ticket. Enjoy your day. If you want a good pub nearby try the Greyhound on the canal at Sutton Stop

• sunny_h
            Posted January 14, 2017 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

It still beats football any day ;)

• Collywobbles
              Posted January 15, 2017 at 11:59 am | Permalink

You can say that again

3. Margaret
    Posted January 14, 2017 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Thanks very much to BD for the hints which were not needed, but appreciated as I usually check before submitting my entry online. Thanks also to the setter.

The reason I called in today was to tell Faraday, after our exchange of comments last Saturday, that the DT very kindly inform me today that I got 0/28 correct answers last week. They are an absolute shower!

• Young Salopian
      Posted January 14, 2017 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Me too, 0/28 last week. Then halfway through solving today, I was invited to a free 30 day subscription or to log in. Having done so I was told my subscription had run out and to call the helpline. I had to do so in order to regain entry through the app. Then I was asked by the app to rate it. Unfortunately the only options were a smiley face or one looking somewhat downcast.

• Margaret
        Posted January 14, 2017 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

Thanks for your response YS, as Faraday said last week, it’s nice to know you’re not on your own. I haven’t, as yet, suffered the subscription problem. However my subscription is for the paper edition which gives me access to the online puzzles. I wonder if that makes a difference.

• Attila the Hun
      Posted January 14, 2017 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

Ditto!

• Faraday
      Posted January 14, 2017 at 10:34 pm | Permalink

I share your pain. I too, allegedly, scored 0/28! I might ring them. It probably won’t achieve anything but it might make me feel better 😤😩😤😩

4. Jane
    Posted January 14, 2017 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Don’t think I’d realised that 20a could be written as one word – something new learned every day!
    The Girl Guide training came in handy for 9a.
    One for Kath in 19d – I wonder whether Annie was a ‘gardener’?

Enjoyed this one – top three places going to the simple 6a, the nice homophone in 7d and the well-spotted opportunity in 11d.
    Many thanks to Mr. Ron and, as ever, to BD for his seven-day-a-week commitment.

• Posted January 14, 2017 at 11:53 am | Permalink

Collins gives 20a as one word, Chambers, the Oxford Dictionary of English and the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary give it as two words.

• Senf
      Posted January 14, 2017 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

Dare I suggest that the concatenation is an Americanism. Merriam-Webster on-line suggest that the single word usage dates back to 1852, when the Queen’s (or King’s) English was still being ‘mangled’ by the former 13 colonies.

5. Aljanon
    Posted January 14, 2017 at 11:42 am | Permalink

I was grateful for your explanation as to how I arrived at the answer for 8d, Dave, because the compiler successfully confused me with his tenuous reference to Nottingham Forest’s European Cup glories. Isn’t the answer to 20a two words and not one? I’ve checked my edition of the BRB and it’s not shown as one word but I’m wondering whether a later edition may now show it differently.

• Jane
      Posted January 14, 2017 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Hi Aljanon,
      Still shown as two words in the 13th edition of BRB – found it as one in a couple of online dictionaries.

• Aljanon
        Posted January 14, 2017 at 11:56 am | Permalink

We posted almost simultaneously, Jane, and, like you, I checked another online dictionary – the OED – and again it was shown as two words.

6. Ora Meringue
    Posted January 14, 2017 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Not on the wavelength at all for this one, so did not enjoy it much…..even needed electronic help with the anagrams…..

Thanks to the setter and to Big Dave for his much needed hints.

7. Angellov
    Posted January 14, 2017 at 11:52 am | Permalink

Terrific, I enjoyed every minute of this nicely testing solve which was accompanied by several cups of strong espresso (too early for 21d) So many appealing clues that I can’t possibly pick a Fav but amongst those I really liked are 29a, 11d and 21d. Have to admit to bunging in 15a without parsing – d’oh! The NE corner last to go in due to first part of 8d stupidly not occurring to me. The Quickie and its pun were fun too. Thank you very much Mr. Ron and BD. 🙂🙂

Posted January 14, 2017 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

2.5*/4*. This was a very entertaining puzzle, which I thought I was going to finish very quickly but I got held up by my final four answers taking me nearly up to my 3* time. I was held up by:

– 24a: last seen quite recently (on which occasion it was clued better in my opinion).
    – 20a: due to the strange enumeration. I would have expected (5,3), and my BRB agrees.
    – 4d: a word I had to drag out from the recesses of my memory.
    – 11d: where it took a while for the penny to drop.

My favourite was 15a with 11d a close second.

Many thanks to Mr Ron and to BD.

Posted January 14, 2017 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Morning all. Still early here. So nice to finally have time at the end of a hectic week to tackle a puzzle in one sitting and be in time to join the conversation. I really enjoyed this one. My picks are 1A, 11D and 14D, my last one in. Thanks to the setter and BD.

The threatened snow, sleet and ice has yet to appear so maybe I’ll be able to get outside the door for the first time this week!

10. dutch
    Posted January 14, 2017 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Nice and enjoyable – loved 1a, 11d and 14d – the same trio as Expat Chris!

many thanks setter and BD

11. Posted January 14, 2017 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed this. I’m having trouble picking favourites, so I won’t. No issues except having to check 9a – took me a while to come up with the right attachment!

Re 20a – I’m surprised it’s not in Chambers or Oxford. I’d say it has a slightly different meaning with the different enumerations, a 20a (8) being specifically a professional 20a (5,3).

Thanks to the setter and to BD.

12. sunny_h
    Posted January 14, 2017 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable solve. Thanks for the hints. Logged in to get some help for 24a and glad it was a talking point. Favorite was 1a.

Posted January 14, 2017 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed this one.
    Just had a couple of problems and put it down to general dimness.
    I couldn’t work out the ‘Melbourne’s excellence’ in 1a and 11d took for ever and was my last answer.
    I’ve only just sorted out the 24a ‘shrunken jumper’ although the answer had to be what it was. :roll:
    I always forget the 29a cockney.
    I liked 9 and 20a (whether it’s one or two words) and 11 and 14d. My favourite, if only out of loyalty, was 19d.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and to BD.

Posted January 14, 2017 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

:oops: I would never call BD a BF – finger hit the wrong key – sorry!!

Posted January 14, 2017 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

I’ve edited it for you

14. Woolgatherer
    Posted January 14, 2017 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

Took ages to solve 11d but worth it for the penny drop moment! Thank you BD and the setter.

Posted January 14, 2017 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

I’m in the enjoyable camp here, though I never did get 20a as I was stuck on Morecambe Bay, forgot about the man. How soon we forget, I loved them both.
    There was so much good stuff here, I loved 19d, with thoughts of Kath, but fave was 29a.
    Thanks to setter, and to BD, I needed you today for 20a.

16. LabradorsruleOK
    Posted January 14, 2017 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Took a couple of hours off my struggles to complete. Quite enjoyable but a couple of clunky clues for me. 19d COTD – reminded me of what a great bunch they were to work with.
    Thanks to setter & BD. Back to the struggles for another week or so.

Posted January 14, 2017 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

Welcome back!

• LabradorsruleOK
        Posted January 14, 2017 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

M.
        Thanks M. it was nice to get back to the sane insanity of the blog!
        Am due to be a near-neighbour for a week soon (Orlando). Have to say I am not looking forward to it. Much rather be at the birthday bash. I always enjoy putting faces to names – there are always some amazing surprises!

Next week will provide the cryptic clue: Top US oxymoron (9, 5).

17. bfgp
    Posted January 14, 2017 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

what on earth is the answer to 24 across???

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted January 14, 2017 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

bfgp, see Senf’s answer to Ridgerunner under comment 1 above.

• Posted January 15, 2017 at 9:29 am | Permalink

Sorry but that was a step to far so I have edited it.

Posted January 14, 2017 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

We can’t tell you as it is a prize puzzle but if you read through the comments above you will find helpful hints

• Una
      Posted January 14, 2017 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

My last on e, too.

18. mre
    Posted January 14, 2017 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

Good afternoon everybody.

A rare Saturday appearance for me. NIce puzzle with 1a being my favourite despite taking an age to solve!

***/****

19. Leveret
    Posted January 14, 2017 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

A rare finish for me without help from either Hints or Chambers wordsearch, but I needed this site for explanations for 8d (thought it was something to do with the R. Tiber) and 15a. Thank you BD.

20. JonP
    Posted January 14, 2017 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

An enjoyable Saturday puzzle that I solved in almost exactly the same time as Thursday’s and Friday’s.

Thanks to BD and setter 1.5*/3*

Posted January 14, 2017 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

The first half went in very quickly , but the other half was hard work.
    I liked 1a (second half) and 21d ( first half) among others.
    Thanks to the setter and BD.

22. hoofityoudonkey
    Posted January 14, 2017 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

Too difficult for me today, unfortunately most of the hints are for ones I have.
    Could not get on any sort of wavelength…Much the hardest crossword this week.
    Thanks to BD and Mr.Ron.

• Jane
      Posted January 14, 2017 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

Just blame it on the man-flu, Hoofit.

• hoofityoudonkey
        Posted January 14, 2017 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Everything is being blamed on that at the moment,Jane!!!

• hoofityoudonkey
          Posted January 14, 2017 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

You know when you are not on the case when you can’t get 6a!!!!

• LabradorsruleOK
            Posted January 14, 2017 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

Difficult to get Wincanton down to four letters I found so I went for one of the 5 letter ones.

• hoofityoudonkey
              Posted January 15, 2017 at 7:37 am | Permalink

Good to see you back LROK…

23. Gwizz
    Posted January 14, 2017 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

What an excellent Saturday crossword! A really satisfying solve with some thought provoking clues including most of those selected by our patron!
    My fave was 29a and overall I think 3/4*.
    Thanks to Mr Ron, and also to BD for the hints.

24. Jon_S
    Posted January 14, 2017 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

Now, that was a good puzzle. Definitely on the tricky side, but the time and perseverance required were duly rewarded. Last in 11d and 24ac, both clues where the answer’s obvious. When you’ve found it. ;-)

Posted January 14, 2017 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

I found this quite tricky, but only just outside 1* time. Call it 1.5*/3*, and my favourites were 1a and 11d. VMTs to the Mysteron and to BD for the hints.

Posted January 14, 2017 at 9:37 pm | Permalink

Harder than usual for a Saturday but very satisfying.
    Only needed a bit of googling for 9a.
    24a made me laugh.
    Thanks to the setter and to BD for the blog.

27. Florence
    Posted January 14, 2017 at 11:08 pm | Permalink

I spent more time on 1a than I did with the rest of the puzzle. I had the wrong slang word, but right Beatle and couldn’t make any sense of it. Had to do a Googlething in the end. 11d was my favourite. Thank you setter and BD.

28. Mcmillibar
    Posted January 14, 2017 at 11:31 pm | Permalink

Lying on the carpet in front of the log burner listening to Te Vaka, a NZ group that caught my attention, and trying not so see or hear the offerings of ITV which the rest of the family wanted to watch, I filled this one in and enjoyed it greatly. Needed the hints today for 1a & 8d so thank you for that BD and setter. A fine offering today. Looking forward to tomorrow’s as ever.

29. Sam
    Posted January 14, 2017 at 11:41 pm | Permalink

What are the first three words doing in the clue to 25d? It works perfectly well, indeed better, without them.

• Mr Kitty
      Posted January 15, 2017 at 1:01 am | Permalink

Those words are indicating that the answer includes a (1,1) letter combination that sounds the same as a (3-3) childish term for a horse.

30. Bob
    Posted January 15, 2017 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

24a. Got what i assume is the correct answer but can’t see the connection to jumper.

• Posted January 15, 2017 at 8:32 pm | Permalink

24a A jumper’s shrunk — will it go over one’s head? (4)
      The A from the clue followed by most of (shrunk) something that jumps (jumper).

31. Bob
    Posted January 15, 2017 at 9:12 pm | Permalink

Yes i can see it now. Eventually the pin dropped.
    Many thanks

Posted January 16, 2017 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and to Big Dave for the hints. A very enjoyable puzzle, that I found very difficult. Needed the hints for 1&20a,&11d, and finally got 24a, which was last in, after reading the blog. Favourite was 25d. Was3*/3* for me.