DT 28288 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 28288 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Saturday Crossword Club

Some hints follow.

1a    Boycott? Ought to put in cooler! (4-8)
This item should be put in the cooler to make it like this  Put a word meaning ought inside a adjective meaning cooler [Thanks Gazza]

9a    Manage love poetry before ‘East is East’ (7)
O (love) followed by some poetry and the final (East in an across clue) letter of the answer is E(ast) – or perhaps put E(ast) before the (final) E(ast) [Thanks to Gazza and Margaret]

10a    Boat the French folk rock, Fifties-style (7)

11a    Bank admits blunder getting part-timer in Services (7)
A bank around (admits) a blunder gives this a colloquial word for a part-time serviceman

12a    People admired those at the bottom of the table (7)
Split these people who are admired as (3,4) to ket what you might find at the bottom of a table

14a    Old partner criticises one about getting fatter (9)
The usual former (old) partners is followed by a verb meaning criticises, I (one) and a word meaning about

21a    Beat material (7)
Two definitions – beat or defeated and a type of material or cloth

25a    A number, unspecified, work round hospital, bustling place (3-4)
The A from the clue, our usual indefinite (unspecified) number and a verb meaning to work in a field around H(ospital)

26a    Command to infiltrate alien terrains in the realm of Star Trek (12)
A verb meaning to command or order inside (to infiltrate) an anagram (alien) of TERRAINS

1d    European visiting revolutionary  for so long (7)
E(uropean) between (visiting) our usual revolutionary and a South American city

2d    Novelist giving thanks for opening book being ignored (7)
To get the surname of this Nobel prize-winning novelist, start with a verb meaning giving thanks for and drop the initial (opening) B(ook)

5d    Arriving by jet leaving France, being lazy (5,2)
Start with a phrasal verb meaning arriving by jet, or any other aeroplane, and drop the IVR code for France

7d    Bear with Barker — Corbett had a hand in this popular duo (5,3,5)
Both Harry Corbett and his son Matthew have had a hand inside each of this famous duo of glove puppets

8d    Hold chap directed over a national leader (6,7)
A wrestling hold is followed by a chap, the reversal (over) of a three-letter verb meaning directed and the A from the clue

18d    Lace drink? You’ll need hospital department first (7)
An alcoholic drink is preceded by (you’ll need … first) our usual hospital department

20d    More substantial area covered by what one’s good at (7)
A(rea) inside (covered by) what one is good at or specially skilled – if you don’t know the last part try guessing the answer, dropping the A(rea) and looking up what remains in the BRB (yes, I do mean you Brian!)

22d    Speech must be given with no notice, in costume (5)
Drop (must be given with no) the AD (notice) from a speech

The Crossword Club is now open.

The Quick Crossword pun: par+sun+snows=parson’s nose

1. Rai Fenton
    Posted December 3, 2016 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Sorry to be picky, Dave, but the across clues have a “d” suffix instead of “a”. Thank you very much
    for all your work in maintaining this site. Rai

• Posted December 3, 2016 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Thanks – must be a problem with my Word macro, I’ll have to investigate.

• gnomethang
        Posted December 4, 2016 at 8:44 am | Permalink

Dave, I think that when selecting the text at the bottom of the print if you miss the last bit of text (usually a blank to the top right of the clue text) then the macro fails in this way. The (a) stays as (d) and the DOWN is not in bold.

• Posted December 4, 2016 at 10:02 am | Permalink

It’s also got something to do with the fact that I have switched to using Chrome instead of Firefox because of an as-yet-unfixed security problem which affects the update of WordPress plugins.

2. Young Salopian
    Posted December 3, 2016 at 11:27 am | Permalink

A gentle offering from the Saturday Mr Ron. Plenty of fun to be had along the way, and I especially enjoyed Star Trek. 2*/3.5* overall with thanks all round.

3. Jose
    Posted December 3, 2016 at 11:33 am | Permalink

Very straight forward but quite enjoyable. I think you’d probably need to be over 50 to get 10a and 7d quickly. 20d is readily solvable from just the definition, but I did remove the A and looked up what remained – and I’ve learned a new word! 1.5*/2.5*.

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted December 3, 2016 at 11:41 am | Permalink

I don’t imagine that 20d without the A will have been a new word for Jean-Luc. :wink:

• jean-luc cheval
        Posted December 3, 2016 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

Hi RD,
        I was quite surprised to find this word in the crossword.
        Although I consider mine to be a passion rather than a job.

• Mark
      Posted December 3, 2016 at 11:50 am | Permalink

It’s a great word, Jose, and I don’t recall having seen it used in a puzzle before.

Posted December 3, 2016 at 11:37 am | Permalink

2*/4*. It took me a short while to get onto the setter’s wavelength today but when I did everything fell into place reasonably smoothly and it turned out to be a most enjoyable diversion for a Saturday morning.

I’m not sure about 9a. Surely “before ‘East is …'” is telling you to do the same thing twice – a cruciverbal tautology?

15d was a new word for me but obvious from the wordplay and confirmed in my BRB.

Joint favourites today – 3d & 7d. Both are nicely inventive constructions.

Many thanks to Mr Ron and to BD.

• Posted December 3, 2016 at 11:42 am | Permalink

I tried to explain “East is East” in the hint.

By the way, it’s an allusion to “East is East, and West is West, and never the twain shall meet” from Rudyard Kipling’s poem The Ballad of East and West

• Rabbit Dave
        Posted December 3, 2016 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

I understand your hint, BD, but my feeling is that, if you ignore the surface reading, either “Manage love poetry before ‘East’” or “Manage love poetry ‘East is East’” lead you to the answer, so effectively part of the wordplay is just padding for the sake of the surface. I thought was frowned upon but I am happy to defer to those with greater knowledge of the “rules/guidelines” than me.

I knew “East is East …” was a literary reference and was intending to look it up, but you’ve saved me the trouble thank you.
        :good:

• Rabbit Dave
          Posted December 3, 2016 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

Ah! I’ve just read Gazza’s comment and your revised hint. All is clear! Well done Gazza and well done setter!

• Gazza
      Posted December 3, 2016 at 11:49 am | Permalink

I thought that 9a was telling us to put East before one of the Easts in the poetry.

• Margaret
      Posted December 3, 2016 at 11:51 am | Permalink

RD I read 9a as “before East (the eastmost part of the answer) is (E)ast. Thanks to all, a short but most enjoyable solve today

• Margaret
        Posted December 3, 2016 at 11:53 am | Permalink

Sorry Gazza and BD popped up whilst I was composing my post

• Mark
      Posted December 3, 2016 at 11:54 am | Permalink

I tend to agree with RD. I understand BD’s hint but it’s a slightly ugly device, I think. Especially compared with the rest of the puzzle.

• Jose
      Posted December 3, 2016 at 11:59 am | Permalink

RD. 9a: The clue does work as BD’s hint, but I think East is East is rather clumsy word-play (implying tautology, designed to misdirect) but on the other hand it’s quite clever. I’m in two minds about it…

5. Mark
    Posted December 3, 2016 at 11:49 am | Permalink

Progressed well before hitting a wall down the left hand side. Really struggled with the popular duo – thought of singers, dancers, actors, comedians, foodstuffs…. There are so many. And the intersecting letters I had weren’t helping. Penny dropped eventually and allowed me to finish off with 9a, 21a and 11a. I hadn’t heard of the alternative usage for 11a which didn’t help.

I wonder how many others struggled like me to fit a different Turkish official into 6d

1a is lovely and 1d made me laugh. 20d is clever. COTD, as so often with me, is shared by two clues: 7d which resisted me for so long is very clever and a laugh out loud moment when it solves and 8d is just splendid with, what I thought, a super misdirection.

Many thanks to both setter and reviewer as always.

6. Caravaggio
    Posted December 3, 2016 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Like Rabbit Dave, I too found that I was quickly attuned to the setter’s way of thinking and similarly my favourite was 7d – quite probably because I saw the answer straight away and anticipated that BD would come up with a suitable illustration.

7. Gazza
    Posted December 3, 2016 at 11:51 am | Permalink

I think that there’s a bit more to 1a. A synonym for ‘ought’ has to be put inside a comparative meaning cooler.

• Posted December 3, 2016 at 11:55 am | Permalink

I’ve not had a very good morning – I missed that completely.

• Mark
      Posted December 3, 2016 at 11:56 am | Permalink

That’s how I solved it, Gazza. Not sure BD’s got the hint right on this rare occasion. (I fully expect to be struck down, or struck off, for blasphemy after that!)

• Mark
        Posted December 3, 2016 at 11:58 am | Permalink

Ah – as BD’s admission popped up whilst I was submitting mine, I might be excused.

• Posted December 3, 2016 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

I’m not totally convinced one way or the other. If you take it as meaning before the E(ast) is E(ast) then that gives two possible placements. I definitely don’t like it – this is what happens when the setter tries to force an ambiguous idea into a clue.

• Jose
          Posted December 3, 2016 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

BD, sorry to interfere (especially since you’re having a bad day) but shouldn’t this red comment be attached to the thread at No 4 above – it’s not applicable to this thread. Just trying to help…

• Posted December 3, 2016 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

It should, but I can’t move comments from one thread to another. I added this comment in the blog’s dashboard display, which is linear not threaded. That’ll teach me!

8. dutch
    Posted December 3, 2016 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Many thanks Dave for explaining East is East.

My favourite is my last one in, 7d – I wasn’t familiar with the word ‘barker’.

1a i parsed as an insertion of ‘ought to’ into ‘cooler’ – not sure this is what the hint is suggesting
    12a Ah, I thought of the table as a chart or map, but then it would have had to be tables.
    The hint for 1d isn’t complete?

Many thanks Dave and thanks setter

9. bifield
    Posted December 3, 2016 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

A gentle Saturday morning puzzle. 7d was a real laugh out loud moment for me. No problems encountered at all. Thanks to the setter and to Big Dave for his hints.

Posted December 3, 2016 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

I took a long time to get anywhere near being on the right wavelength today.
    I smelt a rat, the “crickety kind”, with 1a – OK, I was wrong, but at least I thought of it.
    I agree with others who found 9a a bit odd.
    Started off with the wrong ending for 14a but that made 8d look rather unlikely so changed my mind.
    Didn’t know 15d was a word.
    I liked 14 and 16a and 3 and 7d.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and to BD.
    I ought to go and do something useful but I’ll probably have a go at the NTSPP instead.

11. Senf
    Posted December 3, 2016 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Quite a lot of head scratching for me, partly because of the time it took me to solve 26a, not helped by the fact that my initial answer to 17d was wrong. A smattering (or is there another collective noun) of oldies but goodies helped, including 19a which definitely appeared earlier this week. So, 2.5*/2.5* for me.

Favourite 8d, although 7d was a close second.

Thanks to the setter and BD.

12. Dottie
    Posted December 3, 2016 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

It took me a while to get into this but managed in the end.
    My last in was 7d. Like others I was looking for humans not performing gloves! Took me back to childhood though.
    Favourites 1d and 10a.
    Sorry you had a bad day BD. A few folk do seem to be a bit “picky” today. Thanks for your efforts today and over the last couple of weeks.
    Thanks also to setter for an enjoyable puzzle.

• Brian
      Posted December 3, 2016 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

I thought the answer should have been ‘Make it so’

Posted December 3, 2016 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Pleasent puzzle apart from 9a which I thought was unnecessarily complicated by the literary reference, the clue was perfectly solvable without it. I don’t normally approve of part anagrams but 26a worked ok. As an ex 11a I was pleased to see this word rather just the normal initials. My personal fav was 23a, no real reason just liked the clue.😀
    Thx to all.
    PS I conscientiously complete the online version and submit it but has anyone on the Blog ever won or know someone who has?

• Ora Meringue
      Posted December 3, 2016 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

I got a ‘runner up’ a few years ago….but I submitted that one by post.

• Owdoo
      Posted December 4, 2016 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

I won the fountain pen a couple of years ago after submitting electronically.

14. Ora Meringue
    Posted December 3, 2016 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

On the same wavelength today, so a pleasant and very enjoyable solve without electronic aids or hints. Hurrah!

Thanks to Big Dave for the hints which I needed for some of the parsing and to the setter.

15. Michael
    Posted December 3, 2016 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

No problems today, pretty straightforward – it’s good to see 7d, it brings back my youth ‘bye-bye everybody, bye-bye’ – lovely!

Off to the Olympic Stadium for West Ham v Arsenal, engineeing work has screwed up my rail journey so we’re having to drive to the tube and go in on the Central Line – I’m recording the rugby so hope to avoid the result so I can see it when I get home – not much chance of that!

16. Faraday
    Posted December 3, 2016 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

A very pleasant start to the day. 7d brought back black and white childhood memories and I too was puzzled by the logic of 9a. Thank you BD and others for elucidation.
    With my pedant’s hat on shouldn’t 3d be ‘a Town of Kent’? Well, just about 😂

17. Jane
    Posted December 3, 2016 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

Really enjoyed this one – just as well now that I’ve spotted who is the MPP setter! Can’t be his turn again surely……….

As others have already said, 9a was a little strange and I haven’t previously come across that collective term for members of the clergy.
    7d gets my vote for favourite, followed by 1a&17d.

Thanks to Mr. Ron for a good start to the day and to BD for everything – Mrs. BD must be an extremely tolerant lady!

18. Jen
    Posted December 3, 2016 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

This was really good fun and some amusing answers. Yes I am well over 50 and found no difficulty with 20 across and 7 down, but all the controversy over east is east and west is west and the wrong one I have chose are the lines of a song but I cannot remember much further! But it ends in buttons and bows.

19. Vancouverbc
    Posted December 3, 2016 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

At the easier end of the spectrum for a Saturday. Thanks to Mr Ron and BD who seems to have had a very busy day judging by the commentary.

20. LabradorsruleOK
    Posted December 3, 2016 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Pleased my gremlin is now giving me access again ( but he is still lurking).

Not too much trouble today.

Thanks to setter & BD for hints (& thanks for the help). Only ever thought 7d were black & white!

Posted December 3, 2016 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

Pleased to ‘see’ you again, LROK – I was just beginning to wonder if you’d been a casualty of all the recent trouble. Just tell that gremlin to go away. :smile:

Posted December 3, 2016 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

You made it back!

• LabradorsruleOK
        Posted December 3, 2016 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

Thanks both. Gremlin just stopped me posting reply – attempt 2
        Will call it the piles virus – it is certainly a pain in the ****.

• hoofityoudonkey
          Posted December 3, 2016 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

I’m glad to see you back too…

Posted December 3, 2016 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

7d took a while as like others I went through all the duos I knew.
    Nice to see the hold again in 8d.
    Favourite is 26a. Aye aye captain.
    Thanks to the setter and to BD for the blog.

Posted December 3, 2016 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

I really enjoyed this one. Got 10a straight off, remember it well!
    I never did get 7d, I’ve never heard of them so that’s not surprising.
    Lots to like here, how can one possibly choose a fave? Maybe 6d? Or 8d? I dunno, too many choices.
    Thanks to setter and to BD for his hints.

Posted December 3, 2016 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and to Big Dave for the hints. A nice puzzle, some good clues. All plain sailing except for 14a which I thought had a different ending, this couldn’t be, because of the checkers I had in for 8d. Needed the hints to sort this out. Last in was 8d. Favourite was 7d which was very clever and brought me back to my youth. Was 2*/3* for me.

Posted December 3, 2016 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

A nice puzzle, not too difficult.I had to work through a few “orders ” before hitting on the right one for 28a.
    Thanks to BD and the setter.

25. Angel
    Posted December 3, 2016 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

I can’t really believe that I have actually completed this as I made such a laboured start however tenacity paid off. 7d was nicely misleading resulting in my quest for something connected with another duo. Like Heno I delayed filling in last three letters of 14a whilst awaiting solution of 8d. Altogether a thoroughly enjoyable exercise. Thank you Mysteron and BD. ***/***.

26. Sheffieldsy
    Posted December 3, 2016 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

A good, solid Saturday puzzle which gave us some pauses for thought, so 2*/3* with 1a the pick of the bunch.

We could explain the ‘barker’ part of 7d to Dutch, but not sure how to without being sent to the naughty stair!

We noticed that the quickie, impressively, was a double pangram.

Thanks to BD and to the setter.

27. Jon_S
    Posted December 3, 2016 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

For the most part on the easy side, though I did struggle a little with 3d and 21ac. Oh, and 7d, which held out to the last. Could I see the obvious ‘popular duo’? No I could not. It raised a smile though when the penny finally dropped. :-)

28. BusyLizzie
    Posted December 3, 2016 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

Almost finished, fell at the post with 2d and 22d, which are still eluding me. Favorite like others was 7d, simply because they brought back fond memories. In fact we still have those hand puppets that we brought acros the pond when our daughters were young, and were then enjoyed in later years by our grandchildren. Hopefully eventually by their children one day. Nostalgia is a wonderful thing. Despite not finishing enjoyed the challenge today.

• hoofityoudonkey
      Posted December 4, 2016 at 12:31 am | Permalink

Hi BL, did BD’s hints not help with 2 and 22????

• BusyLizzie
        Posted December 4, 2016 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Sadly no, must be thick today.

• Posted December 4, 2016 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Look at 2 Down on a PC then just click on the picture of the novelist. You are probably trying to make 22 Down too complicated – it isn’t!

29. hoofityoudonkey
    Posted December 4, 2016 at 12:11 am | Permalink

All done, no hints needed, but I could not parse 17d, or 24a which were my last in.
    It was an easier Saturday puzzle, though I raced through 7/8th of it, but the last few took ages.
    I loved 7d as a kid, that leapt of the screen at me, though I should imagine that people from overseas or under 30 (are there any???) would find that a struggle. The second half of that duo was a hero of mine!!!
    Thanks to BD for the hints (and the site!!), and Mr Ron for the puzzle.
    I cant get the RSS feed to work though, any ideas Dave, has that been disabled???

• hoofityoudonkey
      Posted December 4, 2016 at 12:18 am | Permalink

Just to add. I didn’t understand the explanation for ‘East is East’

30. almo
    Posted December 4, 2016 at 7:45 am | Permalink

7d – lots of people talking about it above, but someone please explain why the words”with Barker” are there . The rest of it I understand – I must be a bear with very little brain !!

• hoofityoudonkey
      Posted December 4, 2016 at 7:49 am | Permalink

The persona in the second half of the duo (the barker) was a dog….
      Very clever to get Barker and Corbett into the clue….

• almo
        Posted December 4, 2016 at 9:06 am | Permalink

many thanks, hoofityoudonkey, probably almost as oblique as your pseudonym (nom de cruciverbalist) which I’ve never been able to fathom, people have the same problem with mine !….Many thanks again