Hints and tips by 2Kiwis

BD Rating – Difficulty ****Enjoyment ****

Kia ora from Aotearoa.
Our usual time for going for a walk is in the morning. Yesterday, because the weather was awful, we postponed it until the evening. We just happened to be on the beach leg of the circuit in time to see a magnificent golden orange sunset over the Tasman Sea. Add to that the families of, now quite grown up, ducklings we had seen on the way to the beach and to top it all off, the pair of Royal Spoonbills placidly feeding in the estuary that we went past on our way home. Magic!

We found this a trickier than usual puzzle from Jay. Some of the extra stars for both difficulty and enjoyment came from the Quickie pun that put up quite a fight and then a huge penny-drop moment when we got it.

Please leave a comment telling us how you got on.

1a     Such a worker houses journalist following murder (4-7)
SEMI-SKILLED : These houses are of a type between free-standing and terraced ones, then a word for to murder and a senior journalist.

9a     Exchange parts of plan for rugby restart (4-3)
LINE-OUT : The answer could be an instruction to alter one of the elements in a diagram. (We’re not sure we have got the wordplay all sorted here. Perhaps someone has a better idea?
Find a synonym for a plan that has two syllables 3,4.  Exchange these to make a 4-3 rugby restart. Thanks for help in sorting this one. Why could we not see that yesterday?
 imgres

10a     Standard officer in the United States navy (6)
ENSIGN : A double definition. The standard might be seen flapping at the top of a pole.

12a     Making a profit from the web? (7)
NETTING : The web could be a mesh used to catch fish perhaps.

13a     See code is broken and Enigma’s opening (7)
DIOCESE : An anagram (broken) of CODE IS and the first letter of Enigma.

14a     Plants oddly displayed by former partner living abroad (5)
EXPAT : A two letter former partner is followed by the first, third, and fifth letter of plants.

15a     Notice criminal hold out for majority (9)
ADULTHOOD : For notice here we need the two letter abbreviation for advertisement, and then an anagram (criminal) of HOLD OUT.

17a     Graduate teacher with extended cover (9)
BEDSPREAD : A three letter degree that a teacher might hold and then a synonym for extended or distributed.
images

20a     What may follow bride in coach? (5)
TRAIN : We are looking for the long flowing part of a bride’s gown for the first definition.

22a     Colour of small slight cut (7)
SAFFRON : The abbreviation for small and then a word for a slight or insult loses its last letter.

24a      Deprive of hearing, like a zombie? (7)
ROBOTIC : A word meaning deprive of, or steal from, and then a word meaning to do with the ears.
images

25a     Line appended to current agreement (6)
ACCORD : The abbreviation for alternating current and then a line or string.

26a     Attitude shown by old-fashioned watch (7)
OUTLOOK : A short word for not in current fashion and then a word for watch or observe.

27a     Buttonholes must have colour basis (11)
CORNERSTONE : A word meaning monopolises someone’s attention or buttonholes, and then a word that describes a shade of colour. The answer needs splitting 7,4 to give this wordplay.

2d     Bighead, for example, exaggerated about dish discovered (7)
EGOTIST : The abbreviation for the Latin phrase meaning for example, then the three letters used to denote exaggerated or over the top. Inside this place the two letters that are left when the first and last letters of dish (the covers) are removed.

3d     Join in — note pinched by thankless person (9)
INTEGRATE : One of the notes of the tonic sol-fa scale is inside a word for a thankless person.

4d     Work in bakery having requirement to be heard (5)
KNEAD : A word meaning having requirement is a homophone for the work involved in processing dough.
imgres

5d     Left a call to attack (4,3)
LASH OUT : The abbreviation for left, then ‘a’ from the clue and a loud vocal call.

6d     Source of genius found in poor Creole painter (2,5)
EL GRECO : An anagram (poor) of CREOLE contains the first letter of genius.
imgres

7d     Errors, including public transport vehicle arm once (11)
BLUNDERBUSS : A synonym for errors surrounds a three letter public transport vehicle.
imgres

8d     Arch — that might be 16 (6)
INSTEP : Split the answer to 16d 5,4 to discover where this arch is to be found.

11d     Special food from union bar (7,4)
WEDDING CAKE : The union here is connected with nuptials and the bar could be a piece of soap to give this special celebratory food.
imgres

16d     Junior to pay for being inconveniently in the way (9)
UNDERFOOT : Junior or subservient and then to pay for or take responsibility for settling a bill.

18d     Skilful, holding account over, in effect (2,5)
DE FACTO : An abbreviation for account is inside a four letter word meaning skilful.  Lastly, the abbreviation for a cricket over.

19d     Nick largely untouched cut of meat (7)
PURLOIN : Start with a word meaning untouched or pristine and remove its last letter. Next we have a cut of meat taken from the lower part of an animal’s back.

20d     Case of bribe pocketed by giant mountain man (7)
TIBETAN : A giant from classical mythology includes the first and last letters (case) of bribe.
images

21d     A universal god or creator (6)
AUTHOR : ‘A’ from the clue, then the abbreviation for universal and a Norse god.

23d     Miranda losing protection, unfortunately — it’s a low point (5)
NADIR : Remove the first and last letters from Miranda and make an anagram (unfortunately) of the remaining letters.

Lots of possibilities for favourite today and hard to pick just one so decided to be different and nominate the Quickie pun.

Quickie pun    annas    +    tick    +    hold    =    a nasty cold

1. Graham
    Posted November 9, 2016 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Bit of a struggle but got there in the end, certainly a lot stiffer but extremely satisfying.My favourite goes to 18D, many thanks to the setter & to the 2KS for the review.

2. Gazza
    Posted November 9, 2016 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Thanks to Jay and 2Kiwis. I agree with the choice of the quickie pun as favourite – these are getting better week by week.
    For 9a I think you just have to swap the order of the syllables in outline (plan).

• 2Kiwis
      Posted November 9, 2016 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

Thanks Gazza.

• BusyLizzie
        Posted November 9, 2016 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

Loved your description of your walk, sounds idyllic.

3. Dutch
    Posted November 9, 2016 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Many thanks 2Kiwis

A nice gentle puzzle to help me get over this morning’s news – Although I made life harder by bunging in a cut of meat rather than the answer in 19d, soon corrected.

9a I also didn’t see but as I’m typing I realise the two words are exchanged to give a plan – or rather, start with a plan then exchange the two words to give the answer

Many thanks Jay

• 2Kiwis
      Posted November 9, 2016 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

Thanks Dutch

Posted November 9, 2016 at 11:14 am | Permalink

4*/4* for a challenging but very enjoyable puzzle today.

For 9a, I thought the wordplay was to swap the two parts of a word meaning plan.

27a was my last one in and favourite.

Many thanks to Jay and to the 2Ks.

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted November 9, 2016 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Regarding 9a, I see Gazza beat me to it while I was typing.

• 2Kiwis
      Posted November 9, 2016 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

Thanks RD

5. Jane
    Posted November 9, 2016 at 11:53 am | Permalink

Another vote here for the Quickie pun as favourite, followed by 16d for its amusing surface.
    Took a while to find the 1a worker and the SW corner held out until the bitter end.
    Unbelievably, the rugby term floated up from the dark recesses of the grey matter – no idea what it was doing there!

Many thanks to Jay for quite a tricky little number and to 2Ks for the hard work. I certainly envy you that evening walk.

6. Puzzled Bob
    Posted November 9, 2016 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

Your exchange of parts of plan is OUTLINE. That’s one I could do. Did like 13a though.

• 2Kiwis
      Posted November 9, 2016 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

Thanks Bob

7. Spook
    Posted November 9, 2016 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Found this tough to get a foothold but after a struggle staggered through.
    Thanks to 2 kiwis and Jay.
    On another matter couldn’t access site through Google, had to go through Bing.
    Has anyone else had problems, running scan and malware on laptop and using iPad for this.

Posted November 9, 2016 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

My computer barred me from accessing the site, saying it was infected with malware. I am using iPad to write this and so far, so good.

8. Beaver
    Posted November 9, 2016 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Tricky for a Tuesday and a ***/**** for me, some excellent cluing today and many new constructions for a change-liked 24a and 27a, also 22a-I could go on.
    Thanks to Jay and the 2k’s, cricket going well, but a great pity about the no Trump bid.

• Senf
      Posted November 9, 2016 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

Are you off by a day?

• Beaver
        Posted November 9, 2016 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

Quite right Senf, went to a long wine tasting on Monday and seem to have missed a day !

• Senf
          Posted November 9, 2016 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Well, there are probably some of us, me for one, who would like to be in on the secret of where to find a wine tasting that starts on Monday evening and finishes on Wednesday morning.

Posted November 9, 2016 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

Particularly missing yesterday!

9. Senf
    Posted November 9, 2016 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

I agree with the general comments about this one being trickier than usual for a Wednesday, but it was very enjoyable. I thought it might be just be me as I was multi-tasking last evening. As well as tackling this puzzle I was enjoying (binge) watching the new Netflix series ‘The Crown’ to avoid the wall to wall coverage of you know what.

2.5*/3.5* for me. Favourite 27a.

Thanks to Jay and the 2Ks.

10. Young Salopian
    Posted November 9, 2016 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Another belter from Jay. Probably a little harder than usual but all the more enjoyable as a result. I cannot disagree with the notion that 27 across was the COTD. This was 3*/4* for me, with the SW corner holding me up until coins started hitting the floor. The leader presumptive of the free world has yet to be given the nuclear launch codes so Mrs YS and I are probably safe going to a concert in Birmingham tonight.

Thanks to Jay and the 2Ks.

11. Miffypops
    Posted November 9, 2016 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Excellent puzzle. Thanks to the 2Kiwis for showing me where the graduate came from at 17ac. Doh! Nice illustration too. If anybody can explain what all the cushions on hotel beds are for these days I will be grateful. Thanks to Jay for a fine puzzle. I don’t know how you had me doing so many things at 2d after only writing seven words for the clue.

• Senf
      Posted November 9, 2016 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Decorative purposes only, and a total nuisance when you have to clear them off when you want to get between the sheets.

And, for 2d, I really enjoy low word number, very ‘active’ charade clues.

• Angel
        Posted November 9, 2016 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Numerous cushions plus a strip of fabric across the foot of the bed – all very annoying and serving no purpose.

12. serl
    Posted November 9, 2016 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

I have just gone on to the web site on my pc to be warned of a malware attack on the site. No such warning has appeared on my tablet. Felt I ought to report this to big DAVE.

• Posted November 9, 2016 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog serl

I hope all of the threats have now been removed.

• Rabbit Dave
        Posted November 9, 2016 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

I hope that doesn’t include Deep Threat!

• Miffypops
      Posted November 9, 2016 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Welcome from me too Serl. I don’t know what Big Dave does but I am very grateful that he does it.

• 2Kiwis
      Posted November 9, 2016 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

Welcome from us too Serl

13. Gwizz
    Posted November 9, 2016 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

Yes, as has been said, a bit more head scratching than usual for a Wednesday crossword. Good challenge though with some good clues like 27a and 19d but my fave for some reason or other was 24a. 3/4* overall.
    Thanks to Jay for making me work, and thanks to the ornithologists over there for their review.

14. BusyLizzie
    Posted November 9, 2016 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Way above my pay grade today. Also too fed up to concentrate, couldn’t even stay up to watch last night, once trend became clear. Better fasten our seat belts and hang on to our hats. I would be sent to the naughty corner for sure if I say any more.

Posted November 9, 2016 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

I am paralytic with shock, functioning like a zombie (see 24a) and totally shattered.

• Senf
      Posted November 9, 2016 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

One of the reasons that, whatever the outcome of yesterday, I returned to Canada earlier this year using the flexibility of two passports ‘underwritten’ by HM the Queen.

Posted November 9, 2016 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

See my post at 19. I worry about someone who announces in front of thousands “I love war”, but the die is cast we have to learn to live with it.

15. Scousegit
    Posted November 9, 2016 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

I know cryptic crossword are supposed to be taxing but ‘discover’ rather than ‘uncover’ in 2d was, IMHO, an unnecessary misdirection. Otherwise an enjoyable solve, 21d favourite for its simple ingenuity. Thanks to Jay and the 2Ks.

16. Ora Meringue
    Posted November 9, 2016 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

Managed the top half, except for 7d with a lot of headscratching, then had to resort to the electronic aids and the hints for the rest…so pleased to see that others here also found it difficult.

Just not on the same wavelength as this setter….but I will persist .

Thanks to the setter and to the 2Kiwis.

17. Mr Kitty
    Posted November 9, 2016 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

I found this hard going, but definitely worth it in the end. I’m feeling a bit 24a today and it needed a couple of trips to the thesaurus and one to the electronic BRB to finish. Favourite today is 23d because I’m hoping that’s been reached.

Thanks to Jay and to the 2Kiwis.

18. Angel
    Posted November 9, 2016 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Really enjoyed the challenge of today’s puzzle. Thank you Jay. Like Dutch I too bunged in the cut of meat for 19d which held me up for a while with 17a. Appreciated Gazza parsing 9a for me. Was unaware of the graduate teacher abbreviation in 17a. Thank you 2Ks particularly for sorting the pun which I had failed to fathom having concentrated on only two words. ***/****.

Posted November 9, 2016 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

Unlike Senf, I can’t leave here. The only legal domiciles open to me are UK and Jamaica, I wouldn’t survive the first winter in UK, and I can’t take my “children” to Jamaica, so I now need to stick it out here.

Difficult puzzle today but hugely enjoyable. I did need electronic help for the SW corner, but I did get there eventually.
    Lots of good stuff, but I rather liked 7d, so that’s my fave.
    Thanks to Jay and to the 2Kiwis for their input. I agree, the quickie pun was fun.

• BusyLizzie
      Posted November 9, 2016 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

Kids and grandkids all within 30 mins of our house, so not going anywhere, unless we win the lottery and could fly back and forth from U.K. In first. Coach once a year is enough. Mr BL was out flying his RC plane today. Fellow flyers commiserated that he who shall not be named is a …….. but he’s our …….. now. Left out actual expression.

Posted November 9, 2016 at 9:40 pm | Permalink

Doesn’t it make you choke? And what about that investigation by the IRS! No one mentions that.

20. silvanus
    Posted November 9, 2016 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

The SW corner took me twice as long as the rest of the puzzle combined, and for that reason three of its clues earned ticks, namely 22a, 27a and 19d.

Jay’s consistently high standard of cluing once again to the fore.

Many thanks to Mr. Mutch and the 2Ks.

21. Amanda
    Posted November 9, 2016 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

Difficult!

22. Farmer G
    Posted November 9, 2016 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

9a Out-line is a plan. Exchange the parts.

• Gazza
      Posted November 9, 2016 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog, Farmer G.

• 2Kiwis
      Posted November 9, 2016 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

Welcome from us too Farmer G.
      We have now corrected the hint for 9a. Thanks.

Posted November 9, 2016 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

Morning all.
    Still can’t get through to the site with Google Chrome because of the Malwear warning but Bing got straight through.
    Sorry about missing the wordplay for 9a. It all looks so blindingly obvious now.
    Another frontal system seems to have moved in overnight so we can expect more wet weather for the next couple of days. Good crossword weather.
    Cheers.

24. Graham
    Posted November 9, 2016 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

Well, I got there in the end after several stints. Agree with ****/****, all very fair though if obscure. Favourite was 1a and thanks for explanation of 9a which was a bung it in.
    Thanks all.

25. BobH
    Posted November 9, 2016 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

Got in to the blog via Facebook. All other routes blocked by malware warning on my android tablet. Finished in the end by dint of perseverance. The enjoyment rating always goes up on finishing. So ***/****
    Didn’t really like 11d . Liked quite a few.
    Thanks to both
    Westonbirt tomorrow.
    Can I add pictures?

• Miffypops
      Posted November 9, 2016 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

We went to Westonbirt a couple of weeks ago. Stunning

26. Jen
    Posted November 9, 2016 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

In reply to spook , I could not access site on computer or iPad last Friday and Saturday but no reason given. I then realised how much I enjoy Dave’s blog and rely on it too. Jen

27. hoofityoudonkey
    Posted November 9, 2016 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

No access on Chrome still.😩
    Enjoyed going through the hints, cheers 2xk and Jay

28. BusyLizzie
    Posted November 9, 2016 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

Really struggled with this over breakfast, bit miraculously all fell quickly into place over tea and a dark chocolate digestive. Must be good for the brain!

Posted November 9, 2016 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

It felt quite tough but my watch says it was no more than 2* difficulty. An interesting puzzle, though, so 3.5* for enjoyment. I enjoyed 22a and 24a – clues that wouldn’t have been out of place in a Toughie. Thanks to Jay, and the 2 Kiwis.

30. Posted November 9, 2016 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

Quite a bit meatier than the usual Jay but the usual high quality. Thanks to him and to the 2Kiwis. Your walks do sound idyllic.

31. Sheffieldsy
    Posted November 10, 2016 at 10:53 am | Permalink

Greetings all from Melbourne where we arrived yesterday. Mrs Sheffieldsy went shopping today while I had a wonderful few hours having a guided tour of the MCG and a look round their National Sports Museum. To top it all, Mrs Sheffieldsy failed to find much to buy so the bank balance is not reeling.

Sorry to buck the trend but we found this puzzle reasonably straightforward and give it 2*/2.5*.

Two top clues were 22a and 4d.

Many thanks as always to the 2Ks (we arrive in NZ on Saturday) and Jay.

• Sheffieldsy
      Posted November 10, 2016 at 11:01 am | Permalink

IGNORE ALL THAT PLEASE. Time zone confusion here, that was all about Thursday’s puzzle. We haven’t even finished Wednesday’s yet!

• 2Kiwis
      Posted November 10, 2016 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

Pleased to hear that you are coming to our part of the world. It appears that you have used OZ as an entree and are now about to start on the main course of your trip. Hope that the weather improves a bit from what we have been having lately. So glad that you have worked out that even in the Southern Hemisphere Thursday comes after Wednesday. :smile:

Posted November 14, 2016 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Running very late on the crossword front.
    Was in Gai Paris this weekend to see my brother’s baby. Such a lovely little boy and such a pleasure to wake up on Sunday with the carillon of Notre Dame.
    Found this offering by Jay a little more difficult too.
    1a is the kind of word that always makes me smile. In France we have restaurants which call themselves “semi-gastronomic” as if they tried but didn’t quite make it. Wouldn’t trust a worker who is semi-skilled either.
    Thanks to Jay and to 2kiwis for the review.