Hints and tips by Mr Kitty

BD Rating – Difficulty ***Enjoyment ***

Good morning everyone. Today is, of course, the Tuesday after the first Monday in November. Or, if you prefer, it’s 29 days before the first Wednesday in December. Either way that means it’s Election Day and for those of us across the pond relief from the ordeal that is the 2016 US Presidential Election is finally at hand. It hasn’t been all bad though. Buried in this year-long race to the bottom there’s a bright spot for cruciverbalists: the emergence of colourful new synonyms for “disaster” and “catastrophe”. Evocative expressions like “dumpster fire” have recently spread all over the web and even made their way into the online Oxford Dictionary (both links contain some rude language). The prospect of these phrases crossing the Atlantic got me pondering how DUMPSTER FIRE might be clued on the back page. I came up with “Running free, Mr Stupid is an American disaster (8, 4)”, but I’m sure many out there can do better.

Today’s crossword is as far from all that negativity that as one can get. Offering sparkling examples of most types of clue, it should provide entertainment for all and a welcome distraction for those who need one today. I rate it easier than last Tuesday’s and at least average on the enjoyment scale.

In the hints below the definitions are underlined and the answers will be revealed by clicking on the Click Here! buttons. If you’re seeing the answers already uncovered, click http://bigdave44.com/2016/11/08/dt-28266/ or type that link into the address box of your browser.

Please leave a comment telling us what you thought.

1a    Really popular female turn (2,4)
IN FACT: Put together our usual short word for popular, (F)emale, and a turn (on the stage, for example).

4a    Sundial, perhaps one serving for ages (3-5)
OLD-TIMER: A cryptic definition of one who’s seen it all.

10a    Dishonest dealer having big row, always against disappearing (9)
RACKETEER: Combine a big row (or the noise it makes) with a word for “always” minus its “v” (against disappearing).

11a    Bother over sauce (5)
PESTO: A noun that’s a bother, followed by the usual cricketing abbreviation for over.

12a    Of minor importance, time shown by competitor crossing island (7)
TRIVIAL: Follow T(ime) with a competitor enclosing (crossing) I(sland).

13a    Performing animal sheltered by one (2,5)
ON STAGE: Insert a big animal with antlers inside ONE from the clue.

14a    Belief in leader of expedition inside yurt (5)
TENET: Another insertion. Place E (leader of expedition) inside the generic shelter of which yurt is an example.

15a    Show impatience with one in examination class (8)
TUTORIAL: A short verbal expression of impatience, followed by an unwritten examination enclosing the Roman numeral for one.

18a    Sounds like important team in dock area (8)
QUAYSIDE: Begin with a homophone of a synonym for important, and follow that with another word for team.

20a    Wee drink before start of Ayckbourn play (5)
DRAMA: A quantity of drink, particularly in the land where wee means small, followed by A (start of Ayckbourn).

23a    Lift needed from Piraeus when travelling around (7)
UPRAISE: Anagram (when travelling around) of PIRAEUS (a port city near Athens, I learned).

25a    Rest have told untruths before (3,4)
LIE DOWN: Splitting this common method to have a rest as (4,3) yields a word meaning told untruths before a word meaning have.

26a    Escape notice coming in the day before (5)
EVADE: A two-letter notice inside the day preceding a day like Christmas or New Year’s Day.

27a    All of the football players in a line on the pitch (6-3)
TWENTY-TWO: A clever double definition. The number of footballers on the pitch during a game, and a line marked across a rugby pitch.

28a    Returning short gypsy girl’s telescope (8)
SPYGLASS: Drop the last letter from GYPSY (short), reverse it (returning), and append one of the usual crosswordland words for girl.

29a    Burning forest close to coast (6)
ARDENT: Follow a well-known forest located mostly in Warwickshire with the last letter (close to) of coast.

1d    Annoy Irish coming over in improper attire (8)
IRRITATE: Reverse (coming over) a two-letter abbreviation for Irish and put it inside an anagram (improper) of ATTIRE.

2d    Fine performance in division (7)
FACTION: Combine (F)ine and another word for performance. This division is a part of some larger group.

3d    What may be taught in school about helium? Master is to evaluate (9)
CHEMISTRY: Get ready for a serious charade. Concatenate an abbreviation for about, the symbol for helium, an abbreviation for Master, the IS from the clue, and a word meaning to evaluate. Phew.

5d    Feel for this old invalid in novel (4,2,3,5)
LORD OF THE FLIES: An anagram (invalid) of FEEL FOR THIS OLD produces a famous novel.

6d    Bugs circling a sort of bar in Benidorm? (5)
TAPAS: A verb meaning bugs (perhaps by attaching a device to a phone line) enclosing (circling) the A from the clue.

7d    Cosmetic the old lady’s used to hide a disfigurement (7)
MASCARA: A two-letter informal noun for “the old lady” encloses (used to hide) the A from the clue and a disfigurement of the skin.

8d    Cycled round hot southern island (6)
RHODES: Begin with a verb meaning cycled. Place it around H(ot), and finish with a very short abbreviation for southern.

9d    Count, Italian, enjoys eating Italian, I must be honest (4,2,4,2,2)
TELL IT LIKE IT IS: Another complex charade. Put together a verb meaning to count votes, the abbreviation for Italy, and a word meaning enjoys which contains (eating) the abbreviation again and the I from the clue. I was not familiar with the topical meaning of the word that means count. But it is given in the BRB.

16d    Embarrassed on street exercising dog (3,6)
RED SETTER: The colour associated with embarrassment followed (on in a down clue) by an anagram (exercising) of STREET.

17d    Running to a car in mac (8)
RAINCOAT: Anagram (running) of TO A CAR IN. The absence of capitalization tells us that the mac is one you wear and not a computer.

19d    Not prepared to study in a Parisian yard (7)
UNREADY: Place a verb meaning study (especially at a university) between a French indefinite article and an abbreviation for yard.

21d    Porter securing job for messenger (7)
APOSTLE: The porter here is one you drink. Placing inside it (securing) another word for job results in a messenger of very olden times.

22d    Powerful figures on board in New York borough (6)
QUEENS: Two or more of the mightiest pieces on a chessboard.

24d    Model bride a lover embraces (5)
IDEAL: If you were wondering where today’s lurker had got to, wonder no more.

Today we have 30 candidates vying for the title of favourite. I’m supporting the brilliant 27a. Which clue gets your vote?

The Quick Crossword pun: pair+mane=pearmain – paradoxically a type of apple – like the Worcester Pearmain

Posted November 8, 2016 at 11:30 am | Permalink

2*/4*. I found this very enjoyable, with about 3/4 of the puzzle going in quite smoothly and a few clues spread across the grid putting up a bit more of a fight.

29a was my last one in as I had temporarily forgotten that particular forest.

27a & 3d were very clever, and 8d was my favourite.

Many thanks to the two misters: Ron and Kitty.

2. Miffypops
    Posted November 8, 2016 at 11:39 am | Permalink

A nice warm puzzle to enjoy a coup of tea to first thing in the morning. Fair play Mr Kitty for knowing the Aaron Neville song used to illustrate 9d and also for spotting the 4,3 bit of 25ac which confused me for all of too many seconds. I needed an eyeglass to find the answer at 28ac after bunging a wrong un in. Thanks to the setter and thanks to Mr Kitty. Hopefully the lovely CrypticSue wont have to rescue me from moderation today. Thanks Sue. I don’t mean to wind you up.

Posted November 8, 2016 at 11:49 am | Permalink

I bet that’s what you say to the Saintly one too :yes: :roll:

3. pete
    Posted November 8, 2016 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Like yesterday, another fairly gentle puzzle. Nothing too taxing, but still enjoyable. The only one to present any problem was 29a. 2*/3* Many thanks to Mr Ron and to Mr Kitty.

Posted November 8, 2016 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Fans of our Sunday setter should have a look at his Brendan puzzle in today’s Guardian.

• Brian
      Posted November 8, 2016 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

Not sure I have either enough time or sufficient wet towels to tackle a Virgilus on a Tuesday😀

5. Ora Meringue
    Posted November 8, 2016 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

Did very well with this until I got stuck in the SE corner.
    25a had to be what it is, but I could not see why.
    Had forgotten (again) the beery stuff in 21d
    Had totally forgotten the forest in 29a

Thanks to the setter and to Mr Kitty for the hints.

6. Dottie
    Posted November 8, 2016 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed this and managed it without hints except for 29a. So thanks to Mr K for the answer to that one, for providing me with an unknown bit of greenery and for some very amusing photos. Thanks also to setter.

7. Jaylegs
    Posted November 8, 2016 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Another straightforward solve 🤗 */*** Favourites 4a, 27a, 8d & 21d Thanks to Mr. Kitty and Mr Ron 🤔

8. Angel
    Posted November 8, 2016 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

As is so often the case, the bark here was worse than the bite so keeping my head down and pressing on regardless paid off. All was well eventually without my having to resort to Mr. Kitty’s prompts. Thanks therefore to Mysteron and to Mr. Kitty for being there in case of need. No Fav but much enjoyment. ***/***.

9. Spook
    Posted November 8, 2016 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

No real doh moments in this one a good cross section of clues to stretch the grey matter. Likewise no favourites for me just generally entertaining.
    Thanks to Mr Kitty and setter.

10. Senf
    Posted November 8, 2016 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

Slightly more tricky than recent Tuesday puzzles, still completed in a reasonable time but outside the puzzle web site bonus point ‘window.’

1.5*/2* for me, with some head scratching, electronic assistance, and waiting for an explanation or two from Mr Kitty – the line in 27a for example, but isn’t it the 22 metre line?

Three nominations for favourite, 18a, 3d, and 9d, and the winner, for being a five word, 14 letter, non-anagram, is 9d.

Thanks to Mr Ron and Mr Kitty.

• Mr Kitty
      Posted November 8, 2016 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

I’m not certain that I’m understanding your question about 27a, but rugby’s 22 metre line is often referred to as just the “22”. For example, from the Telegraph earlier this year: “Carter is a good defender, too. Against Leicester in the Champions Cup semi-final, there was one sequence where he made a tackle in his own 22 and was up and round the corner to make the next one to stop a try.”

• Miffypops
        Posted November 8, 2016 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

I think it used to be call the 25 yard line when I started playing

• Rabbit Dave
          Posted November 8, 2016 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Perhaps it will be part of the negotiations that, post Brexit, the line in question will be once again called “The 25” at Twickenham, Murrayfield and the Millennium Stadium?
          :wink:

• LabradorsruleOK
            Posted November 8, 2016 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

And 32 degrees will be cold again, not boiling hot. We can have pounds & ounces, the British Thermal Unit, inches of snow, tyre pressures in psi, barometric pressure in inches of mercury.
            Would that mean a hard or soft Brexit I ask?

• Senf
        Posted November 8, 2016 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

Other than a brain f*rt, I have no idea why I put that in my comment.

Posted November 8, 2016 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

I really enjoyed this one too.
    I started off thinking it was going to be a doddle, changed my mind for a while but then got going again.
    Not many anagrams today.
    I was slow to think of the homophone for important in 18a – don’t know why.
    27a made me go blind – oh dear!
    I had the wrong definition and the wrong anagram fodder for ages with 5d.
    I liked 9d except that it’s one of my sister’s rather irritating expressions which always gets me going.
    I also liked 15 and 29a and 8d.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and to Mr Kitty.
    It’s really too cold to garden today – I might have to try the Toughie – it’s either that or the ironing . . . :unsure:

12. Vancouverbc
    Posted November 8, 2016 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Took a while to get going but got there in the end. My favourite was 27a once the penny dropped. Thanks to Mr Ron and Mr Kitty.

13. Gazza
    Posted November 8, 2016 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Perversely D Trump is free to become a disaster in Washington (8,4)

• Mr Kitty
      Posted November 8, 2016 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

:good:

• Mcmillibar
      Posted November 8, 2016 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Love that!

Posted November 8, 2016 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Yay!

• Dutch
      Posted November 8, 2016 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

congrats!

• Jane
      Posted November 8, 2016 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

Brilliant, Gazza, but then I would expect no less from you!

PS Apologies to whoever has to rescue me – I just know I’ll be in moderation again………

Posted November 8, 2016 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

Just log in with whatever BD gave you whenever it was before you comment – then it’s fine and no-one needs to rescue you.

• jean-luc cheval
      Posted November 8, 2016 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

Time to bring on a new crossword please.

Posted November 8, 2016 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

Not sure I found it quite 3* for difficulty, probably a **/** rating from me.
    Got held up badly in the NE corner but when I finally got the answers I couldn’t really see why!
    No doubt about today’s favourite, it has to be 27a, so clever.
    Thx to all

Posted November 8, 2016 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Mr Ron and to Mr Kitty for the review and hints. I enjoyed this one very much. I didn’t find it that difficult, but fell at the last, putting in urgent for 29a, no forest of urgen unfortunately 😩. I liked both the long down clues, and 11a made me laugh. My favourite was 27a, great blend of sports. Was 2*/3* for me.

16. Gwizz
    Posted November 8, 2016 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Could this please be a D Trump no go area? Please…
    Regarding this crossword: a very enjoyable challenge. As has been said, a good selection of clues. I liked 18 and 29a, the former being favourite.
    3/3* overall.
    Thanks to the setter, and to Mr K for his review.

• hoofityoudonkey
      Posted November 8, 2016 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

My boss said if he wins he is emigrating to Easter Island. It’s not even worth that.

Posted November 8, 2016 at 9:37 pm | Permalink

Hope the job is still going well!

• hoofityoudonkey
          Posted November 8, 2016 at 9:45 pm | Permalink

Yes thanks Merusa, and thanks for asking.
          8 hour days are a bit of a struggle but just about bearable.
          I hope all is well with you.

17. Young Salopian
    Posted November 8, 2016 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

2*/4* with the NW corner the last section of the grid to yield its secrets. 27 across my favourite of many good clues for reasons already given above. Thanks to Mr Ron for an enjoyable challenge on this bitterly cold November afternoon and to MK for his review.

18. BusyLizzie
    Posted November 8, 2016 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed this puzzle, with just 10a and 29a holding me up, needed Mr. Kitty’s help, thanks! Agree, thank goodness this nightmare of an election is almost over. But a certain someone is going to be the very definition of a sore loser, so we are not done yet. Dreading waking up to find out the result tomorrow, really scary.

19. Mcmillibar
    Posted November 8, 2016 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

Half over morning coffee and the rest over lunch. A lovely crossword, thank you setter.
    Like others SE corner last to fall. Did not need assistance but loved the Lab Peer Pressure cartoon. Been putting two new tyres and inner tubes on my mountain bike. Embarrassingly they were perished rather than worn out. Now to plant some spring bulbs to brighten the place up a bit.

20. mre
    Posted November 8, 2016 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

Good afternoon everybody.

All very straightforward although the logic of 3d, 7d, and 11a wasn’t clear to me. Only hold up was 29a so I’ll have that as clue of the day.

**/***

Posted November 8, 2016 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

This really presented no problems, except for 25a, which I solved ‘cos it just had to be but had no clue why! Thanks Mr. K for unravelling that.
    I remembered the forest, I seem to remember that came up before, not sure.
    Knowing nothing of football, I just took 27a as the number of players on the field.
    Much to like in this, I rather liked 8d and 9d, but fave is 16d, I’m predictable and it’s a dog, innit?
    Thanks to setter and to Mr. Kitty for the review.

22. Dr M
    Posted November 8, 2016 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Had a few problems accessing the site but finally got on. Very enjoyable crossword from mr Ron. Took me while to get going nut then romped through it. 3d was an involved but satisfying solve, but 27a was my favourite for it’s beautiful simplicity. Thanks to Mr kitty for the blog.

23. silvanus
    Posted November 8, 2016 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

This was an excellently crafted and enjoyable puzzle, not that difficult but no sandpaper was necessary for any of the surfaces as far as I could tell.

My two favourites were the long Down clues, 5d and 9d.

I think the very creditable anagram attempt in Mr. Kitty’s introduction suggests that his next challenge after stepping into the Tuesday blogger’s chair should be to try his hand (or should that be paw?) in Rookie Corner, does anyone else agree?

Many thanks to today’s compiler and Mr. K.

• Mr Kitty
      Posted November 8, 2016 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the vote of confidence, silvanus. I won’t say never, but I want try to get comfortable in the blogging chair before even thinking about venturing into the Corner. There are some scary good people over there.

24. Graham
    Posted November 8, 2016 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

Been looking after grandaughter so only just finished. Last one 29a was a struggle as I kept wanting to bung in urgent but I kept the faith! Favourite was 15a. Needed a little explanation for 27a and 3d so thanks Mr Kitty and thanks to the setter.

25. Posted November 8, 2016 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

I found this mostly very straightforward, but needed Mr K to explain the second half of 22a – and also 25a, which I’m kicking myself about. Even more embarrassingly, I bunged URGENT into 29a (just like Graham wanted to, but I evidently have less sense than him) and obviously couldn’t parse that.

I need a 25a. Thanks to the setter and to the hinty person.

26. Dutch
    Posted November 8, 2016 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Many thanks Mr Kitty

I had to come and do this puzzle quickly after i seriously suffered trying to make any head way with today’s toughie (Giovanni). Respect to Kitty for unravelling that one. And thank you Mr Kitty, I was wondering how 25a finished.

anyway, after this i’m feeling slightly less stupid (for now). not sure how i’m going to capitalise on that yet. Suggestions welcome.

Posted November 8, 2016 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

An interesting connection of one clue in this puzzle and one in today’s Toughie. (We won’t spoil it by saying which ones.) It can only have been pure coincidence but fascinating anyway we thought. It all went together smoothly for us with plenty to keep us smiling.
    Thanks Mr Ron and Mr Kitty.

• 2Kiwis
      Posted November 8, 2016 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

Apologies to whoever had to rescue us from moderation. We thought we had beaten that problem with another email address.

• Posted November 8, 2016 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

It went into moderation because it was your “first” post. It should work from now on.

• 2Kiwis
          Posted November 8, 2016 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

We thought we had done that first post yesterday. Let’s see what happens with this one.

• Gazza
            Posted November 8, 2016 at 6:45 pm | Permalink

Yesterday you used the alias ‘KiwiColin’ with your new email address – both KiwiColin and 2Kiwis will work with that email address from now on.

• KiwiColin
              Posted November 8, 2016 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

Many thanks Gazza and Kitty. I thought I was being so clever sorting it all out yesterday but it seems I had missed out one little bit.

Posted November 8, 2016 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

I don’t understand at all but I imagine that comes as no surprise to anyone. All I know is that, at the moment anyway, I need to log in before I comment. If I don’t then I’m a bloody nuisance and someone has to let me out. :sad:

• Miffypops
          Posted November 9, 2016 at 12:53 am | Permalink

I have never worked out this WordPress malarkey. No idea. Don’t much care. Heigh Ho. Let’s Go.

• stanXYZ
      Posted November 8, 2016 at 11:30 pm | Permalink

“An interesting connection of one clue in this puzzle and one in today’s Toughie.”

What is it?

At this time of night in the UK (23:30) and this time (tomorrow) in NZ (12:30) it wont be a spoiler

• Mr Kitty
        Posted November 8, 2016 at 11:36 pm | Permalink

19d here and 2d in the Toughie are connected

There’s also a connection that’s less direct between 4a here and 11d in the Toughie.

• stanXYZ
          Posted November 8, 2016 at 11:56 pm | Permalink

Ah! Yes!

What time is it?

(Determined to stay awake until the swingometer swings away from D Trump.)

• Mr Kitty
            Posted November 9, 2016 at 12:27 am | Permalink

It’s now coming up on 4:30 on the west coast and 7:30 on the east coast. Some east coast polls are closing soon.

Posted November 8, 2016 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

Very nice though not particularly easy .Funny that that particular novel appeared in another puzzle recently and I made the same mistake again , plumping again for Lord of the Rings before spotting my error. I also liked 9d among others.
    Thanks to Mr Kitty and the setter.

29. LabradorsruleOK
    Posted November 8, 2016 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

Struggled with both long answers so not such a quick solve.
    As with others 29a was LOI. 16d, came up not long ago but handsome hound so COTD for me.
    Thanks to setter & MrK for hints that were needed to parse 10a, where I gave up when I had the answer.

30. Jane
    Posted November 8, 2016 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

Solved this over breakfast but went out before the review came up – a trip to Caernarfon castle to see the ‘weeping window’ poppies sculpture which is currently touring the UK. N.Wales has the honour of hosting the display over the Remembrance Day period and what a moving memorial it is, sweeping down from the battlements across the sloping lawns where Prince Charles was invested as Prince of Wales.
    The style of today’s Cryptic seemed unfamiliar, I doubted it was penned by one of our more regular Tuesday setters, and I found it somewhat tougher in parts than the Tuesday norm. I managed the football part of 27a but the rugby reference was beyond my ken – thanks for that one Mr. K and also for the full parsing of 3d which veered into ‘verbose’ territory.
    Podium places go to 11a (simple but effective) plus 15&29a.

Thanks to Mr. Ron and to Mr. K for a second extremely professional review. You’ve set the bar very high for yourself!

• Mr Kitty
      Posted November 8, 2016 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the kind words, Jane.

We saw the original installation of poppies at the Tower of London to mark the centenary of the outbreak of WW1. As you say, a very moving experience,

31. Cornishpasty
    Posted November 8, 2016 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

Thoroughly enjoyable, although I did waste a lot of time on 29a looking for an urgen forest! Re tell, it took me a while to get it, then thought of telling wounds,. Thanks for the explanation of the bugs in 6d.

32. Jon_S
    Posted November 8, 2016 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

Perhaps a little trickier than usual for a Tuesday, with the two long clues in particular taking a while to untangle. How long did it take me to think of the name of the novel despite the user-friendly enumeration and lots of crossing letters? Too long…

33. hoofityoudonkey
    Posted November 8, 2016 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

Useless fact of the day:
    28a was the name of Long John Silver’s ale house in Bristol

• Miffypops
      Posted November 9, 2016 at 12:57 am | Permalink

When most of us bloggers started doing cryptic crossword puzzles Long John Silver had two legs and Captain Flint was an egg..

34. hoofityoudonkey
    Posted November 8, 2016 at 9:19 pm | Permalink

Many thanks Mr.Kitty for another scintillating blog, you are a natural.
    The ‘cattery’ must have been a quiet place today with Kitty doing the Toughie, I shall have a look at that later.
    No problems today, the SE corner the trickiest part, last in was 29a, was convinced it was an anagram of FOREST for ages.
    Like others, 27 and 18 were my picks, with 28 shading it as COTD.
    Thanks Mr.Ron for the puzzle

• Mr Kitty
      Posted November 9, 2016 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the kind words, hoofit. Much appreciated.

Posted November 8, 2016 at 9:57 pm | Permalink

Was solving while posting on the toughie and must admit that everything flowed in for a change.
    Not needing to check on anything anywhere always makes the crossword that little bit more interesting.
    Thanks to Mr Ron and to Mr Kitty for the review and for Aaron Neville in 9d.