Prize Puzzle – 053

Monthly Prize Puzzle (October 2016)

A Puzzle by Alchemi

+ – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

Why not have a go at our latest Monthly Prize Puzzle?

The winner will receive their choice of any of the Telegraph Crossword Books published by Hamlyn.

Please note that, due to punitive postal charges, while the competition is open to all, the prize is only available to UK solvers.

A review will follow after the closing date (15th October 2016).

The competition is now closed

Crossword logo

The puzzle is available by clicking on the above grid.

I’ve left this post open for comments, but if you don’t want your comment to be deleted then avoid asking for or giving help with the clues.

1. dutch
    Posted October 1, 2016 at 10:33 am | Permalink | Reply

Thanks alchemi – very enjoyable. SE was the hardest for me and even with the name and checkers I still haven’t got 18d.

• KiwiColin
      Posted October 1, 2016 at 10:53 am | Permalink | Reply

18d new to me too but I found it in Mrs B and then in BRB.

• dutch
        Posted October 1, 2016 at 11:02 am | Permalink | Reply

argh I had stupidly mistyped the name, giving me a wrong ‘checker’ !!

everything sorted and parsed now, thanks.

2. Jane
    Posted October 1, 2016 at 10:37 am | Permalink | Reply

Think I have the answer but it helped considerably that I picked up on the first part of the name and one of the solutions quite early on.
    Still have a little way to go to work out some of the parsing!
    Many thanks, Alchemi.

3. KiwiColin
    Posted October 1, 2016 at 10:50 am | Permalink | Reply

That was good fun and not too tricky this month so there should be heaps of entries to go in the draw.
    Thanks Alchemi.

4. silvanus
    Posted October 1, 2016 at 10:56 am | Permalink | Reply

An excellent puzzle, very entertaining indeed. Like Dutch, I found the SE quadrant the trickiest.

A couple I am still struggling to parse, only the “******” required checking though, as I had never heard of it before.

Many thanks, Alchemi.

• Posted October 1, 2016 at 1:13 pm | Permalink | Reply

Please only comment in general terms on prize puzzles – save the specifics for the review in a couple of week’s time.

• silvanus
        Posted October 2, 2016 at 1:06 pm | Permalink | Reply

Many apologies, BD, sorry for the slip.

Posted October 1, 2016 at 3:07 pm | Permalink | Reply

Many thanks for the entertainment, Alchemi. This was excellent fun, and it all came together quite smoothly once I had picked up the right wavelength although I still have two to parse. Next up is Gazza’s NTSPP!

• jean-luc cheval
      Posted October 1, 2016 at 11:53 pm | Permalink | Reply

Forgot to congratulate you on last month’s prize.

Posted October 1, 2016 at 11:49 pm | Permalink | Reply

Cracked it.
    Thanks to Alchemi for a beautifully crafted crossword.

7. Rahmat Ali
    Posted October 2, 2016 at 11:18 am | Permalink | Reply

Undoubtedly, the entries will pile up with every passing day till the closing date as the puzzle seemed fairly easier than the previous two ones. Even the two solutions associated with the name was not difficult to trace. However, it was all throughout fun, Thanks to Alchemi for the entertainment. Although 4d took a lot more time to parse, the SW corner was the last to fall in place. I like the symmetrical placement of the horizontal lines inasmuch as the clues of 1a, 10a, 12a, 14a, 21a, 27a, 30a, 4d and 22d, but I would like to choose 16a as my favourite.