Hints and tips by Deep Threat

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment ***

Good morning from South Staffs where the sun is shining as I type this, but we can expect rain later.

Nothing to frighten the horses today from Giovanni, and plenty of anagrams to get you going.

In the hints below, the definitions are underlined. The answers are hidden under the ‘Click here!’ buttons, so don’t click if you don’t want to see them.

1a           Cleaner meandering outside university court showing disinclination for work? (10)
RELUCTANCE – Anagram (meandering) of CLEANER wrapped around University and CourT.

6a           Change from scheduled itinerary (4)
EDIT – Hidden in the clue.

9a           Like some music that could excite Clare Short (10)
ORCHESTRAL – Anagram (could excite) of CLARE SHORT.

10a         Note a piece of stage scenery (4)
FLAT – Double definition: a musical note that isn’t a sharp or a natural; or one of the moveable pieces of painted scenery on a stage.

13a         Shelf aboard ship for land vehicles (7)
SLEDGES – Another word for ‘shelf’ inside the usual crossword ship.

15a         Goddess shows negative emotion about the City (6)
HECATE – The opposite of love is wrapped around the postal district of the City of London, giving us a Greek goddess.

Image result for hecate

16a         Article about employment leads to a feeling of disgust (6)
NAUSEA – Reverse (about) an indefinite article, then add ‘employment’ and A (from the clue).

17a         Revenue from ancient tower? Cash coming with little effort (5,3,3,4)
MONEY FOR OLD ROPE – The ancient tower is something which, when it was newer, was used for towing things. The answer is what you get for selling it off.

18a         Fruit upset old man (6)
ALMOND – Anagram (upset) of OLD MAN.

Image result for almond

20a         Diplomat in shelter with hidden gun (6)
LEGATE – The side which is sheltered from the wind is wrapped around an informal word for gun.

21a         Silence brought by endlessly serious person trying to be funny (7)
GAGSTER – ‘To silence’, perhaps by physical means, followed by ‘serious’ with its last letter removed.

22a         Audacity evident in kiss (4)
NECK – Double definition: the first is often seen in conjunction with ‘brass’.

25a         Ordinary mother at home, virtuous person getting about in the morning (10)
MAINSTREAM – Put together a short word for ‘mother’, a word for ‘at home’, the abbreviation for a holy or virtuous person, the Latin word for about or concerning, and the abbreviation for ‘in the morning’.

26a         Thus see by one’s own efforts (4)
SOLO – Another word for ‘thus’ followed by ‘See!’ or ‘Behold!’.

27a         One with lots of stories in America? (10)
SKYSCRAPER – The singular of ‘stories’ in this case is ‘storey’, not ‘story’. So the answer is a type of building.

Image result for skyscraper

1d           Wild event sees one surrounded by rubbish (4)
RIOT – Another word for rubbish wrapped around the Roman numeral for one.

2d           Secure slab after skinning off its top (4)
LOCK – Remove the initial B from another word for ‘slab’.

3d           Nothing left for possession by one American native or another (6)
CREOLE – A Native American tribe is wrapped around the letter which looks like zero or nothing, and Left, giving us another set of North Americans, often of French or Spanish origin.

4d           Pain starts and needs to be dealt with — the answer must be drugs (15)
ANTIDEPRESSANTS – Anagram (to be dealt with) of PAIN STARTS and NEEDS.

5d           First sign of cuckoo and another bird will get fearful (6)
CRAVEN – The first letter of Cuckoo followed by the bird which quoth ‘Nevermore’.

7d           Like a sort of insanity, in which one could discern loud aliens (10)
DELUSIONAL – Anagram (in which one could discern) of LOUD ALIENS.

8d           One has four feet, is encountered in wild retreat (10)
TETRAMETER – Anagram (wild) of RETREAT, wrapped around ‘encountered’. This is a verse form, not an animal.

The Assyrian came down like the wolf on the fold,
And his cohorts were gleaming in purple and gold;
And the sheen of their spears was like stars on the sea,
When the blue wave rolls nightly on deep Galilee.

11d         Winner with female name drinks after victories (10)
CHAMPAGNES – Put together a short form of the word for the winner of an event and a woman’s name, and you get the drinks consumed or sprayed about on the winner’s podium.

12d         One comic off-beat, a learner becoming cheap (10)
ECONOMICAL – Anagram (off-beat) of ONE COMIC, followed by A (from the clue) and Learner.

13d         Hanging around to celebrate, having jumped over river (7)
STAYING – ‘To celebrate’, perhaps musically, wrapped around a Scottish river.

14d         One providing something to help a person sit up (7)
SADDLER – Cryptic definition of somebody who makes the equipment used to sit on a horse (up).

19d         Daughter wants a facial disguise — here’s the material (6)
DAMASK Daughter followed by A (from the clue) and a facial disguise as worn by Zorro.

20d         Character who hires something out? (6)
LETTER – Double definition, the first being a typographical character.

23d         Cautious look up and down (4)
PEEP – The answer is a palindrome (up and down).

Image result for peeping tom lady godiva legend

24d         Some grim Easterner, revolutionary ruler (4)
EMIR – Hidden in reverse (revolutionary) in the clue.

The Quick Crossword pun FEWER + HOARY = FURORE

1. dutch
    Posted September 9, 2016 at 11:12 am | Permalink | Reply

Reasonably straightforward with some nice clues: I particularly liked the cryptic definitions 14d and 27a.

Also like 21a and 11d for the way the definition is worked into the clue

nice anagram in 4d

Many thanks Giovanni and Deep Threat

2. Beaver
    Posted September 9, 2016 at 11:15 am | Permalink | Reply

Back to reality after the lord mayor’s show yesterday, well constructed clues again like 4d and 11d-liked the surface, and agree with DT’ s **/***, new meaning of flat for10a-found in ‘doofer’ !.
    Ready for the weekend derby.

3. Vancouverbc
    Posted September 9, 2016 at 11:20 am | Permalink | Reply

**/**. Fairly straightforward although not overly satisfying; don’t know why? Favourite was 27a. Thanks to the setter and DT for the review. Jet lag means plenty of time to plan the curry for today although over indulgence during the last 3 weeks probably means some control over the calorie content 😬

• Sheffieldsy
      Posted September 9, 2016 at 1:29 pm | Permalink | Reply

And when was that ever a major consideration for you, old friend? Must. Have been quite some over-indulgence.

Posted September 9, 2016 at 11:24 am | Permalink | Reply

Giovanni at his kindest today. Only one odd word in 8d, pentameter I know but tetrameter is a new on on me as far as I can remember. Never thought of 18a as a fruit rather than a nut but technically that’s quite right. My fav was 21a, a typical Giovanni clue.
    For me */***
    Thx to all

5. Senf
    Posted September 9, 2016 at 11:46 am | Permalink | Reply

What a ‘gentle’ week this has been (for me); another one completed comfortably before lights out last night. Let’s hope that tomorrow’s prize puzzle follows the trend.

A little bit of head scratching, mostly resolved with Chambers Crossword Dictionary except for my last one in (27a) which needed an on-line crossword solver; although, when it went in I had thoughts of it being an ‘oldie but goodie.’

Favourites – a toss-up between 17a and 25a. Both were equally brilliant although I really liked the five two letter elements in the charade of 25a.

**/*** or **** for me – thanks to the Don and DT.

6. Jane
    Posted September 9, 2016 at 11:52 am | Permalink | Reply

Nothing too obscure although I’m always nervous about the names of goddesses and didn’t know the ‘gun’ in 20a. Haven’t come across 8d before but the answer was obvious enough.
    The ‘stories’ fooled me yet again!
    Top three places go to 17,21&26a.

Thanks to DG and to DT – liked the pic of the peeping tom (so will Kitty!) and what a fresh-faced Elvis in 3d!

7. Miffypops
    Posted September 9, 2016 at 12:04 pm | Permalink | Reply

Another fine puzzle to while away the time. Is a flat a note or an accidental? Ta to all.

• Bluebird
      Posted September 9, 2016 at 12:15 pm | Permalink | Reply

I always think of a flattened note as accidental, when it isn’t in the key signature, but not when it is, if you see what I mean, which I barely do myself.

I’m sure there are some of us with superior knowledge, though. It’s a long time since I did music theory…..

The other sort of flat would be accidental if it fell on an actor, though. The other week, I saw Anthony Sher as King Lear in a piece of stage set that was an accident waiting to happen.

• Geodebass
        Posted September 9, 2016 at 4:38 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yes, I agree. My ancient theory book says an accidental is a note which is not in the key signature, so it may be a sharp, natural, or flattened note, depending on the key signature.
        A flattened note on its own is a semitone lower in pitch, so A flat would be a semitone lower than A, etc..

There’s loads of stuff on the web, for further reading! Enjoy :)

8. George
    Posted September 9, 2016 at 12:04 pm | Permalink | Reply

All went well for me today except when I misread the first letter of 22a that I had entered from 11d, for an H. Then puzzling what on earth it could be following the clue. Glad that I finally figured that out! Need to write more clearly I suppose!
    2*/3* for me.

9. Angel
    Posted September 9, 2016 at 12:30 pm | Permalink | Reply

Giovanni has let us off lightly today but there were enough challenging clues to make for a satisfying solve. Fav 27a when I had given up on narrator or something like that but then again surely plural of a building floor is different from stories/tales? Also liked 14d for which a bit of Newmarket life helped. Thanks Giovanni and DT. ***/***.

Posted September 9, 2016 at 1:02 pm | Permalink | Reply

Can anyone at the DT tell why there are different clues in the online version from the paper?

Posted September 9, 2016 at 1:10 pm | Permalink | Reply

Last minute editing of the clues in one or the other version. Which clues are different today?

• Mary Hamilton
        Posted September 9, 2016 at 2:24 pm | Permalink | Reply

9 across!

• BarryM
      Posted September 9, 2016 at 1:11 pm | Permalink | Reply

I found that too, Brian, odd!

11. Dottie
    Posted September 9, 2016 at 1:05 pm | Permalink | Reply

Clever and enjoyable. Favourite 27a, like others bloggers I was stuck for ages on words for stories. Also liked 21a and 4d. Thanks to setter and DT.

12. Sheffieldsy
    Posted September 9, 2016 at 1:32 pm | Permalink | Reply

A steady solve and some good clues – **/**.

11d made us grin; 21a was our favourite for the great surface. 7d was a well hidden anagram.

Thanks to DT and Giovanni.

13. pommers
    Posted September 9, 2016 at 1:49 pm | Permalink | Reply

Well, we got all but two of the acrosses on first pass through and then every one of the downs. Then we wrote in the two acrosses we’d missed. Too easy to be a lot of fun so <*/*** from us. Favourite probably 11d. Thanks to the Don and DT.

14. Young Salopian
    Posted September 9, 2016 at 2:19 pm | Permalink | Reply

I wouldn’t argue with the concensus view of this puzzle at 2*/3*. Really enjoyed 21 across in particular.

Many thanks to the Don and DT.

15. Owdoo
    Posted September 9, 2016 at 2:30 pm | Permalink | Reply

Easier than most Friday puzzles I thought, but certainly not R&W. 2*/3* from me as well.
    9a made me chuckle. Not sure why. Perhaps because Ms Short doesn’t give the impression of being an excitable type.
    Thanks to G and DT.

16. silvanus
    Posted September 9, 2016 at 2:54 pm | Permalink | Reply

An enjoyable and steady solve, it was a welcome relief to see that the obscurities and religious references were again absent this week.

I really liked the anagram in 7d, but my favourite, like most others it seems, was 27a, even if my preferred spelling of the plural is with just an “s” added to the singular.

Many thanks to Giovanni and to Deep Threat, and a good weekend to all.

• Physicist
      Posted September 9, 2016 at 3:20 pm | Permalink | Reply

The BRB indicates that the US spelling of the building level is ‘story’, so their plural would be -ies.

• Alec
        Posted September 10, 2016 at 8:14 am | Permalink | Reply

Exactly the reason why the words “in America” were included in the clue. The spelling of “stories” was intended to mislead solvers into thinking of “tales”, rather than the number of floors in a building. My favourite clue.(or should that be favorite?)

17. Ora Meringue
    Posted September 9, 2016 at 3:56 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks to Deep Threat for the hints and to the setter.

I did not find this as easy as most people did…but possibly missing the anagram indicators did not help me….and when I had spotted them I was anagramming the wrong letters.

I cannot say that I have ever thought of an almond as a fruit, though I suppose all nuts are.
    And in my book, whatever the BRB says, economical does not mean cheap.

Posted September 9, 2016 at 4:09 pm | Permalink | Reply

I agree with you re economical!

• Angel
        Posted September 9, 2016 at 5:54 pm | Permalink | Reply

Hear, hear!

• Jose
      Posted September 10, 2016 at 10:19 am | Permalink | Reply

May I disagree? Economical = cheap, 100%.

18. mre
    Posted September 9, 2016 at 4:03 pm | Permalink | Reply

Good afternoon everybody.

Nice Friday puzzle. I didn’t write in 10a, not knowing the stage usage and because, although correctly inferring 8d, that was also a new word to me. Favourite was probably the deceptively simple 14d.

Posted September 9, 2016 at 4:08 pm | Permalink | Reply

I agree, a very benign Giovanni today.
    Fave today was 17a, but 25a running on its heels.
    Thanks to Giovanni, and to Deep Threat for the review, not least for the excerpt from the forgotten Byron, which I shall now revisit.

20. Geodebass
    Posted September 9, 2016 at 4:16 pm | Permalink | Reply

Much easier than yesterday’s puzzle; only had to cheat on 13a, and get a hint for 21a. I seem to remember ‘sledges’ on boats from yonks ago, but couldn’t recall today. Also chanced a few guesses, 15a, 20a, and 3d, so I now know that ec= city, gat=gun, cree= native American, thanks to excellent explanations by DT. Liked 17a, 8d, 11d. 27a had me thinking bards, story tellers etc., until the K went in! 3*/3* . Many thanks too to setter and encouraging comments from yesterday’s bloggers.

21. Slim
    Posted September 9, 2016 at 4:16 pm | Permalink | Reply

Loved this one as only the third one I’ve completed without Google or the clues. Surprised myself for remembering 15 across. Loved 11 down.

• stanXYZ
      Posted September 9, 2016 at 6:59 pm | Permalink | Reply

I always need the clues to solve these puzzles.

Sometimes I need a hint or two from Google.

• Miffypops
        Posted September 9, 2016 at 8:16 pm | Permalink | Reply

Slim is following my advice not to read the clues

• BusyLizzie
          Posted September 9, 2016 at 11:02 pm | Permalink | Reply

That advice really helps me, except for when I can’t decide what is the definition and what is the clue.

22. LetterboxRoy
    Posted September 9, 2016 at 4:27 pm | Permalink | Reply

Just as well this was fairly straightforward since I’m not at my sharpest today. The grid is very helpful – I was mostly able to solve it in a spiral pattern from the middle outwards, for a change. **/***
    Thanks to all as ever.

Posted September 9, 2016 at 4:27 pm | Permalink | Reply

Friday again – how on earth has that happened? :unsure:
    Right then, the crossword – I agree with 2* difficulty and 2* or 3* for enjoyment.
    Got off to a cracking start but slowed right down with my last few answers.
    The 10a stage scenery is something I always forget about and often forget about the note too.
    8d had me foxed for ages – so many things have four feet – but got there in the end.
    I thought there were some good anagrams particularly 9a and 4d. What a pity that I missed the anagram indicator in 7d for a long time.
    I liked 9 and 17a and 11 and 19d. My favourite was 27a.
    Thanks to Giovanni and to Deep Threat.
    Raining on and off – had forgotten velux windows were open. :sad:

24. bluebirds
    Posted September 9, 2016 at 4:27 pm | Permalink | Reply

Is an almond a fruit?

Posted September 9, 2016 at 4:29 pm | Permalink | Reply

I think, strictly speaking, it is although I know what you mean.

25. jg
    Posted September 9, 2016 at 5:38 pm | Permalink | Reply

I like anagrams of famous (?) people’s names; Clare Short will be pleased. How about Spiro Agnew one of these days?

• Jose
      Posted September 10, 2016 at 11:49 am | Permalink | Reply

And if Spiro Agnew did crop up – how about “war pigeons”.

26. Gwizz
    Posted September 9, 2016 at 6:21 pm | Permalink | Reply

A relatively gentle challenge from the Don! Some nice clues and completion was reasonably swift (for a Friday!). 8d was my fave and like several here I’d suggest 2/3* overall.
    Thanks to Virgilius and to DT for his review.

27. John
    Posted September 9, 2016 at 6:45 pm | Permalink | Reply

Did anyone else think 10a was a triple definition of the word “plot”…..ok, stretching it a bit when it comes to the third definition, but I was convinced!

• mre
      Posted September 9, 2016 at 7:31 pm | Permalink | Reply

Plot looked most likely to me for a good while but fortunately I resisted the temptation to bung it in.

28. Jon_S
    Posted September 9, 2016 at 7:55 pm | Permalink | Reply

Pretty straightforward for the most part, with some trouble at 11d (I just couldn’t see the wood for the trees), and the combination of 19 / 21 (where I wanted SH to be part of the solution for too long) / 27.

Posted September 9, 2016 at 8:06 pm | Permalink | Reply

We had never heard of Clare Short but that was not a problem at all in working out the answer. Well crafted clues that all slotted together smoothly for us.
    Thanks Giovanni and DT.

Posted September 9, 2016 at 8:24 pm | Permalink | Reply

Right on the 1/2* cusp, and 3* for enjoyment. My stand-out favourite is 17a; not only has the expression always amused me, but it reminds me of one of my favourite Goon Show jokes. Neddy Seagoon, on completing some pointless task, says “Hah – this is (17a)”. To which Hercules Grytpipe-Thynne replies “Is it? I would have thought you’d buy something more useful”. Thanks to the Don for reminding me of it, and DT for the review.

Posted September 9, 2016 at 10:37 pm | Permalink | Reply

Ahh! The Goons, how can one forget, so many hours of giggling!

• BusyLizzie
        Posted September 9, 2016 at 10:59 pm | Permalink | Reply

Oh my goodness, the wonderful Goons, Secombe, Bentine, Sellars and Milligan, 4 greats.

31. JonP
    Posted September 9, 2016 at 8:56 pm | Permalink | Reply

Initially I got off to a flyer, but was pulled up with a few to jump and cantered home – horse wasn’t scared / harmed – hoping for better at Doncaster tomorrow.

Thanks to DT and Giovanni **/***

32. hoofityoudonkey
    Posted September 9, 2016 at 9:38 pm | Permalink | Reply

Looking after a 22 month old, means that I have not managed to get to the crossword before 2130 each evening, by which time my brain is well and truly addled…Shame as I think I am finally getting the hang of all this.
    Hope for a quieter week next week!!!

• hoofityoudonkey
      Posted September 9, 2016 at 10:50 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks for the hints, DT, another great Giovanni puzzle

33. LabradorsruleOK
    Posted September 9, 2016 at 9:51 pm | Permalink | Reply

Not too taxing but enjoyable for me.
    Late as ran our last Championship at damp & very windy Neath. Nobody beat Par nett or gross. First time that has happened as far as I remember
    27a my COTD

Thanks to setter & DT.

34. BusyLizzie
    Posted September 9, 2016 at 10:53 pm | Permalink | Reply

A delightful puzzle from Giovanni, with well constructed clues. Like Kath, I got off to a great start, just stalling over the last few, which Deep Threat’s hints helped me solve. 8d and 15a were new for me, and 17a was favorite. A much better day than yesterday.

35. Karen
    Posted September 9, 2016 at 11:05 pm | Permalink | Reply

Got there in the end. Funny how if you leave it and come back to it how you suddenly work out a clue that then seems so obvious.
    Favourites were 3D and 11D.
    Got 17A but couldn’t get the reasoning without your assistance. Thank you!

Posted September 9, 2016 at 11:26 pm | Permalink | Reply

Cryptic Sue would call that gap when you go off and do something else ‘cogitation time’. Your brain works away at it all on its own and then when you come back it’s all dead simple.

36. Amadeus
    Posted September 10, 2016 at 8:22 am | Permalink | Reply

9a in the electronic version was ‘Sort of musical box getting spoken about’ which doesn’t quite work for me… There’s a stray ‘r isn’t there?’ Perhaps that was why it was changed

37. Jose
    Posted September 10, 2016 at 10:15 am | Permalink | Reply

This was not massively challenging but still enjoyable – as all G’s are. 2*/3*

Posted September 10, 2016 at 6:42 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks to Giovanni and to Deep Threat for the review and hints. I enjoyed this one, not too difficult. The NE corner was the last to fall. Favourite was 3d. New word for me in 8d. Last in was 10a. Was 2*/3* for me.