DT 28198 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 28198 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Saturday Crossword Club

Some hints follow.

3a    Met man working in foster care? (10)
An anagram (working) of FOSTER CARE – the “in” appears to be there purely for the benefit of the surface reading

8a    Dog set sail around UK! (6)
An anagram (set) of SAIL around UK

9a    Sister, apprehensive initially, in college in Warwickshire town (8)
A religious sister followed by the initial letter of A[pprehensive] which is inside Crosswordland’s favourite college to give the Warwickshire town where the reaction of its newly re-elected MP was one of the abiding images of the 2015 General Election

10a    Monitor head of welterweight boxer, perhaps after disturbing chat (8)
The initial letter (head) of W[elterweight] followed by the type of animal of which a boxer is an example (perhaps), the latter being preceded by (after) an anagram (disturbing) of CHAT

12a    One has intuition of horror filling man who’s sent into pit (4-6)
A word meaning horror inside someone who works in a pit

20a    Cover in many pieces loony left tackling Labour’s leader (5,5)
An adjective meaning loony followed by a verb meaning left or departed around the initial letter (leader) of L[abour]

22a    Shakespearean king, likewise holding on (6)
The name of the King of Naples in Shakespeare’s The Tempest is derived by putting a word meaning likewise or as well around (holding) ON from the clue

26a    Be quick to appear fashionable (4,6)
A verb meaning to appear or seem followed by an adjective meaning fashionable

1d    Unexpected changes in Virginia –- good sign (8)
The abbreviations for V(irgini)A and G(ood) followed by a sign of the zodiac

2d    Wine: quantity upset over trainee (8)
The reversal (upset in a down clue) of a three-letter quantity is followed by (over in a down clue) a military trainee

5d    Deceptive showman‘s trick on panellist (8)
A three-letter trick or hoax followed by a member of a panel

7d    Former partner raised fare to go on American flight (6)
The usual former partner is followed by the reversal (raised in a down clue) of a two-letter verb meaning to fare or progress and finally a two-letter abbreviation for American

16d    Green light for doctor entering in this way at Oxford, say (6,2)
One of our usual doctors inside (entering) a word meaning in this way and followed by another usual suspect, a two-letter word meaning at the kind of place of which Oxford is an example (say)

17d    Key-operated device Ivy League university rugby player’s used (4,4)
An Ivy League university followed by a rugby player – the “used” seems to be superfluous unless regarded as part of the definition

18d    Legless, British before game (6)
B(ritish) followed by a type of gambling game

23d    Stay for start of play (4)
A word meaning for followed by the initial letter (start) of P[lay]

The Crossword Club is now open.

The Quick Crossword pun: brie+flee=briefly

1. Young Salopian
    Posted August 20, 2016 at 11:01 am | Permalink | Reply

Spotting that this crossword was a pangram helped me complete 20 across, my last one in. 8 across was my favourite and I found the whole puzzle very enjoyable.

2*/4* overall with many thanks to the Saturday Mr Ron and BD.

• Posted August 20, 2016 at 11:08 am | Permalink | Reply

In yesterday’s episode of Pointless, pangram was a pointless example of words ending in …ram.

• Angel
        Posted August 20, 2016 at 12:59 pm | Permalink | Reply

You could have been a Pointless Celebrity!

• Weekendwanda
        Posted August 21, 2016 at 7:13 am | Permalink | Reply

My word would have been buckram but it was not mentioned so I do not know whether it would have been pointless or not. I like word rounds! There was also a question on Eggheads which had pangram as one of the three alternative answers.

• Posted August 21, 2016 at 8:18 am | Permalink | Reply

That was mine, so I know it wasn’t mentioned.

• Posted August 21, 2016 at 8:19 am | Permalink | Reply

I also had pentagram, and that didn’t rate a mention either.

2. Graham
    Posted August 20, 2016 at 11:24 am | Permalink | Reply

I found this slightly stiffer than the normal Saturday offerings but still managed to complete without resorting to the hints, liked 8A, 10A 14A. Many thanks to the setter & to BD. It’s a tad blowy here today in the Deep South hope it doesn’t disrupt the Bournemouth air show too much.

3. Jane
    Posted August 20, 2016 at 11:26 am | Permalink | Reply

Pretty much R&W but quite enjoyable.
    Haven’t heard of the Americanism in 20a before and only knew one of the Rugby references but they both had to be what they were.
    The synonym for fare took a bit of thinking about.
    Top three for me were 9&25a plus 1d.

Thanks to Mr. Ron and to BD – loved the hairy guy in the 16d pic and very much appreciated the reminder of that film soundtrack.

Posted August 20, 2016 at 11:29 am | Permalink | Reply

Nice puzzle. No hold-ups for me today. 8A made me smile. Thanks to BD for the review and to the setter.

5. Toadson
    Posted August 20, 2016 at 11:32 am | Permalink | Reply

About the right level for a Saturday and quite enjoyable. Last in was 20a, which I have not heard of before but is a term which makes perfect sense once looked up. Have a good weekend all.

6. Angel
    Posted August 20, 2016 at 11:38 am | Permalink | Reply

As with type of grid, I don’t usually think about pangrams but just press on regardless with the job in hand which today wasn’t too taxing but just nicely challenging. South went in first and then the North followed with a bit more effort. 8a new to me. Liked 12a. Adjective in 20a had to be but had not heard cover referred to in that way (not even in USA). Could only groan at 24a as my bugbear is their noise. Spent a while with 18d with amputee in mind. Thank you Mr. Ron for good fun and
    BD for, as always, being there for us. We in West Sussex had a torrential downpour a couple of hours ago but now warm sunshine – how long will it last I wonder.

• Young Salopian
      Posted August 20, 2016 at 11:47 am | Permalink | Reply

I don’t know if I am breaking protocol by suggesting a website or app, but The Weather Outlook has many good features, including live rain radar which is a big help if you are planning outdoor avivities, and charts for other weather features updated four times a day.

• Angel
        Posted August 20, 2016 at 1:18 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks very much for that YS. I have looked at their website plus the live rain radar and it looks good. I will make a point of consulting there in future rather than relying on the Met Office and their uneducated guesswork. I can see that this p.m. is going to continue to be bright periods and “showers”! Will have to make up my mind later as to what to wear to an outside Garden Luncheon Party tomorrow – decisions, decisions!

7. Ora Meringue
    Posted August 20, 2016 at 11:55 am | Permalink | Reply

I think this may be the first time I have recognised a pangram without someone pointing it out.

Managed all but 2d and 10a without electronic aid, so well pleased with today’s effort.
    (Thought 22a was a bit obscure, though…)

Many thanks to the setter and of course to Big Dave.

8. Caravaggio
    Posted August 20, 2016 at 12:01 pm | Permalink | Reply

Those of us of a certain age will remember that Wayne Fontana had three of them and, as a consequence, I became fixated with this as the answer for 12a but, as you’ll all appreciate, it wouldn’t work. Thank you for the explanation, Dave, and for putting me out of my misery!

• LabradorsruleOK
      Posted August 20, 2016 at 1:11 pm | Permalink | Reply

Didn’t make the association but now you reminded me it will be in my head for the rest of the day. Great first line.

9. LabradorsruleOK
    Posted August 20, 2016 at 12:53 pm | Permalink | Reply

Nice puzzle with enough difficulty to be satisfying but not overly so.
    Never appreciated pangram before joining the blog . Certainly helped with my last in, 20a which I had not come across even though daughter is a *****er.
    Probably a chestnut but COTD for me 25a.
    Thanks to setter & BD

10. Nairnsue
    Posted August 20, 2016 at 2:10 pm | Permalink | Reply

I missed the pangram again, think I’m a hopeless case. Otherwise, I really enjoyed the puzzle as it came so easily. Many thanks to BD for the hints (loved the illustration to 16d) and to the setter.

Posted August 20, 2016 at 2:29 pm | Permalink | Reply

I don’t usually notice stuff like grids, Ninas, themes and pangrams, but sometimes, like today, when you get one or two of the alphabet’s more obscure letters turning up, it is always worth a glance to see if any of the ‘missing’ ones help you finish off some of the other solutions you aren’t sure about.

• Nairnsue
        Posted August 21, 2016 at 5:36 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yes, I’m sure you are right. I’ll just have to try harder, as they used to say at school. Everybody will certainly know about it if I ever do spot one.

11. Paso Doble
    Posted August 20, 2016 at 2:16 pm | Permalink | Reply

We found this trickier than usual for a Saturday but very satisfying nonetheless. Many thanks to BD and the setter. A ***/*** from us.

12. Posted August 20, 2016 at 2:29 pm | Permalink | Reply

I don’t have much to say for once. Just popping in to say thanks to the setter and to BD.

Since I’m here, I’ll also let you know that today’s NTSPP is very much on the gentle side, and very pleasant too – so well worth a go if you feel like doing some more crosswording.

Posted August 20, 2016 at 2:44 pm | Permalink | Reply

I really enjoyed this.
    I thought it was going to be a doddle but changed my mind – I found the bottom half much trickier than the top, particularly the right corner.
    I did notice the small number of anagrams and also, for the first time ever, the fact that it was a pangram.
    Like Jane I had to think about the ‘fare’ in 7d and I’ve never heard of 20a.
    It took me ages to think of the 5d panellist.
    I liked 14 and 20a and 5d. My favourite was 24a if only because the Australian word(s) for it make me laugh – not saying what it is as I have no intention of ending up in the naughty corner and I suppose, at a push, it could be called an alternative clue. :unsure:
    Thanks to Mr Ron and to BD.
    Grey, rainy and very windy – going to try the NTSPP.

• Jane
      Posted August 20, 2016 at 2:51 pm | Permalink | Reply

Just asked Mr. Google about the Australian wording – perfect!

Posted August 20, 2016 at 3:51 pm | Permalink | Reply

Isn’t it wonderful! :smile:

• LabradorsruleOK
      Posted August 20, 2016 at 3:44 pm | Permalink | Reply

My learn for the day. Can imagine Oz cryptic clues for that.

Posted August 20, 2016 at 4:24 pm | Permalink | Reply

Googled it – love it!!

14. Colin
    Posted August 20, 2016 at 2:54 pm | Permalink | Reply

Most of this went in smoothly, probably being thick but 4d is foxing me, can’t parse it satisfactorily.

Thanks for hints.

• Young Salopian
      Posted August 20, 2016 at 3:46 pm | Permalink | Reply

Think of the word ‘doctor’ in a less then honest way. Hopefully no naughty step for me.

Posted August 20, 2016 at 3:49 pm | Permalink | Reply

Snap – see you in the naughty corner!

• Emma
          Posted August 20, 2016 at 10:51 pm | Permalink | Reply

aha, that is what I was looking for…

• Colin
        Posted August 20, 2016 at 8:06 pm | Permalink | Reply

Posted August 20, 2016 at 3:48 pm | Permalink | Reply

I was slow to sort out why my 4d was right but you’re probably doing what I did too. ‘Doctor’ is a verb meaning to do something fraudulently and the ‘number’ is just one letter rather than the usual two letter abbreviation.

• HoofItYouDonkey
        Posted August 20, 2016 at 5:51 pm | Permalink | Reply

I can’t parse 4d either, obvious what the answer is though!! Frustrating!!!

• Weekendwanda
          Posted August 20, 2016 at 6:40 pm | Permalink | Reply

See Kath and Young Salopian above. Makes a change from the usual doctors!

• BusyLizzie
        Posted August 20, 2016 at 7:53 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks Kath. I bunged in the right answer for 4d but couldn’t see how it quite fit the clue. Your explanation cleared that up for me. Won’t forgot to remember doctor can be a verb sometimes in future.

• Angel
      Posted August 20, 2016 at 6:52 pm | Permalink | Reply

All those hints for you and the naughty corner still empty!

15. Gwizz
    Posted August 20, 2016 at 3:07 pm | Permalink | Reply

I’m afraid I wasn’t wildly excited about today’s crossword. It was alright, but for me it lacked something. 1d was probably my favourite and overall 2/3*.
    Thanks to Mr Ron, and of course BD for the hints.

Posted August 20, 2016 at 3:50 pm | Permalink | Reply

Not too testing, but served as a fine accompaniment to my afternoon cuppa! Call it 1*/3.5*. Much as I would like a spot of chilled 2d, I think my favourite is 25a. Many thanks to the Mysteron, and to BD. As a devotee of the late Sir Terry Pratchett, I was pleased to see a picture of the Librarian accompanying the hint for 16d.

17. Graham
    Posted August 20, 2016 at 4:27 pm | Permalink | Reply

Not too taxing today and a few new things learned in the process. Never heard of 20a but managed to work it out as last one in. Never heard of 8a and 22a (not being up on Shakespeare), but both were easily derivable.
    Thank all.

Posted August 20, 2016 at 4:30 pm | Permalink | Reply

Enjoyed this, nice workout. Tumbled to the pangram as well! Red letter day.
    I sweated bullets with 20a, even with BD’s hint, and I think it took as long as the whole puzzle – thick or what?
    Fave was 8a, natch, and I loved the pic.
    Thanks to setter and to BD for his hints.

19. Hilary
    Posted August 20, 2016 at 5:56 pm | Permalink | Reply

Back from outer space or two days of workmen doing things. Thanks to setter, BD and reviewer for a delightful Saturday treat. Spotted pangram which confirmed 20a, forgot king but Mr Google solved that, all in all a great accompaniment to a nice cup of tea. Off to attempt NTSPP.

20. Weekendwanda
    Posted August 20, 2016 at 6:48 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks Mysteron and BD. Managed to solve with only the aid of BRB for second word of 20a. Got first word quite easily and pangram confirmed it. I know this item by another name. Once I had this I was only short of 8a and 1d. Got them without help being on the right lines and just needing to play around with the letters. Confirmed 8a in BRB. Average time to solve. Started off steadily with a number of gaps but did a whole chunk in the middle very quickly just leaving the three mentioned above. Favourites 26a and 17d.

• Angel
      Posted August 20, 2016 at 6:58 pm | Permalink | Reply

Does the first word by which you know 20a have nine letters beginning with ‘p’?

• Weekendwanda
        Posted August 20, 2016 at 7:05 pm | Permalink | Reply

It does. Hope we are not in trouble

21. BusyLizzie
    Posted August 20, 2016 at 7:55 pm | Permalink | Reply

The second happy day this week…thanks BD for those hints that got me to the finish line. Fingers crossed for Sunday.

22. HoofItYouDonkey
    Posted August 20, 2016 at 9:47 pm | Permalink | Reply

I struggled with this, and came unstuck in the SE corner. 16d, 20a, 15d, 23d all needed hints or internet help.
    Shame after a good recent run.
    Favourite was 9a.

Posted August 20, 2016 at 10:03 pm | Permalink | Reply

Very nice , very smooth mostly. 20a held me up as it is usually called something else.
    I thought 19d was a very good hidden clue.
    Thanks to the setter and to all concerned.

24. Tstrummer
    Posted August 21, 2016 at 12:16 am | Permalink | Reply

I’m going to be out of contact for a few days.Back soon. Be frivolous in my absence

25. Florence
    Posted August 21, 2016 at 8:29 am | Permalink | Reply

Didn’t have time to do this one yesterday, but completed it this morning over breakfast.Off to find what an Australian 24a is called. Thank you BD and setter.

[edited to remove wrong answer! cs]

26. Badger
    Posted August 21, 2016 at 5:19 pm | Permalink | Reply

Found this one difficult-and needed hints…Must have been the wedding on Friday fogging my brain and the journey home. Can’t find pangram in my dictionary!
    Many thanks BD and the setter.
    Had a couple of wrong answers which meant the use of my ‘blodger’ esp 26a.
    Glad to get there in the end.
    Tried Thursday crossie -got nowhere !!

• Posted August 21, 2016 at 5:25 pm | Permalink | Reply

It is in Chambers, although not in it’s crossword interpretation. Try the FAQ – it’s in there!

27. Bart
    Posted August 21, 2016 at 6:14 pm | Permalink | Reply

Not so sure that modern digital TVs do suffer from 6d. Suspect this may be an anachronistic clue!

28. Jose
    Posted August 22, 2016 at 10:56 am | Permalink | Reply

I was pleasantly surprised by this one – significantly better than the normal Saturday Prize effort, more difficult and with some excellent cluing. Very enjoyable! 2.5*/3.5*