Hints and tips by Miffypops

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment ****

Today’s hints and tips have been prepared from a seated position inspired by Great Britain’s Olympians. The British are a nation who excel when seated. Just look at the medals we have amassed from a seated position in Rio De Janerio. Our rowers, cyclists, sailors and equestrian types have all decided to take up sedentary sports and have been very successful indeed. Sitting down is the new standing up so without further ado here is todays offering from sunny downtown LI.

The hints and tips below are my attempt to guide you through this puzzle and cut through the mystery that surrounds the cluing of cryptic crossword puzzles. Definitions are underlined. If you are still bamboozled after reading the hints and tips then click on the greyed out box to reveal the answer. Illustrations and musical clips may or may not have anything to do with the clue or the solution

Please leave a comment telling us what you thought.

1a    The cradle of the deep? (3,3)
SEABED: A cryptic definition of the ocean floor.

4a    Old students better out of sight (8)
OBSCURED: Old students are O(ld) B(oy)s in the plural and they are followed by the past tense of a word meaning to have been made better from an illness. It is this sort of hint that makes me respect the brevity of Deep Threat’s Friday hints.

9a    One stealing a pound? (6)
NICKER: A double definition here both slang terms for one who steals or one pound sterling.

10a    Joint vote cast in Irish parliament (8)
DOVETAIL: An anagram (cast) of VOTE is to be slotted inside the Irish parliament to make this carpentry joint.

12a    The same again and again the same as one that passed long ago (4)
DODO: A double ditto will give the name of this extinct flightless Mauritian bird.

13a    One may turn over in bed (5)
SPADE: This is a gardening tool that may be used to turn the soil in a flower bed.

14a    Don’t allow to contradict (4)
DENY: A double definition. Get the third letter right. It is not an F

17a    Royal seat that offers commoners rear accommodation (7,5)
WINDSOR CHAIR: The location of one of the Queen’s castles is followed by what we sit upon to find a wooden dining chair with a semicircular back supported by upright rods. I have six of these and very nice they are too. Sitting down may lead to Olympic gold.

20a    What postgraduates work for, to a greater extent? (6,6)
HIGHER DEGREE: Both undergraduates and postgraduates work towards these qualifications. The postgraduates are working towards a more superior one.

23a    How five hundred initially must get sea transport (4)
DHOW: HOW directly from the clue is preceded by the roman numeral for five hundred

24a    One object of alliance (5)
UNITY: A noun meaning one and the state of being united or joined as a whole.

25a    Place where spinners will take a turn (4)
SPOT: These spinners are children’s toys. Reversed (will take a turn) they give a location

28a    Plant in grade A ground (8)
GARDENIA: Anagram (ground) of IN GRADE A

29a    Soldiers go and come back (6)
RETURN: The soldiers here are our R(oyal) E(ngineers). The go is an opportunity or obligation to do something that comes successively to each of a number of people perhaps during a card game for instance.

30a    Works of poets are broadcast (8)
OPERATES: Anagram (broadcast) of POETS ARE

31a    Card gamepontoon? (6)
BRIDGE: A double definition. We have two card games but only one structure carrying a road, path, railway, etc. across a river, road, or other obstacle.

1d    Expelled from university and conveyed to prison (4,4)
SENT DOWN: Another double definition. Neither of which has been applied to me.

2d    I’d given stress about something unintentional (8)
ACCIDENT: A noun meaning to place an emphasis upon is placed around I’D from the clue.

3d    Some considered England paradise (4)
EDEN: A lurker, lurking away lurkily. For newcomers to this blog a lurker is a word that is hidden away within the clue.

5d    Savage as Dracula (12)
BLOODTHIRSTY: A double definition. The second being a description of what a vampire might be.

6d    A short cut for sailors (4)
CREW: The collective term for the workers on a ship is also a very short haircut.

7d    Wandered with me in street (6)
ROAMED: Place the word ME from the clue within another name for a street.

8d    Waits with the Spanish in enlightened times (6)
DELAYS: Place the Spanish word for the inside a term meaning enlightened times (as opposed to endarkened presumably)

11d    Perhaps even I could be afraid here (12)
APPREHENSIVE: Anagram (could be) of PERHAPS EVEN I.

15d    Moving out of bed (5)
ASTIR: A double definition. Need I say more?

16d    Large cat making row about midnight (5)
TIGER: In Crosswordland the word midnight usually indicates the letter G which is the middle letter of the word niGht and so it is with this clue. Now place this letter G within a word meaning a row or one of a series of rows placed one upon another.

18d    Put the case for sterling (8)
PROPOUND: A definition with wordplay. Place a word meaning in favour of before our unit of currency

19d    Fine words? (8)
SENTENCE: This fine is a penalty for transgression of our laws. These words are

a set of words that is complete in itself, typically containing a subject and predicate, conveying a statement, question, exclamation, or command, and consisting of a main clause and sometimes one or more subordinate clauses

21d    Commercial fee for money conversion follows slowly (6)
ADAGIO: One lives and learns. Our usual suspect for a commercial or AD(vertisement) is followed by a term used in commerce for an exchange rate. The whole is a musical instruction to play slowly

1. the percentage charged on the exchange of one currency, or one form of money, into another that is more valuable.

22d    Direction of sporting venue (6)
COURSE: The direction of a river perhaps is also a sporting venue where horses might race. Keep away from fast women and slow horses.

26d    This woman, in truth, is at the head of a big place (4)
VERA: This woman can be found before (at the head of) the word city (a big place) to find a word meaning truth.

27d    Animal’s shoulder — or stomach? (4)
BEAR: A rare triple definition. This animal’s name can also mean to carry, to support, to undergo or to endure.

A nice and easy start to the week. What did you think?

The Quick Crossword pun: prop+pore+shone=proportion

1. Haroldus
    Posted August 15, 2016 at 11:30 am | Permalink | Reply

DISASTER: the answers have not been obscured!

2. Jose
    Posted August 15, 2016 at 11:43 am | Permalink | Reply

The answers aren’t greyed-out today. I’ve read about this anomaly on here quite a few times but it’s the first time it’s happened on these public computers in the library (accessed through Google Chrome) in over a year. I guess it’s a one-off thing this time?

• Graham
      Posted August 15, 2016 at 11:48 am | Permalink | Reply

Same here on my tablet.

• neveracrossword
        Posted August 15, 2016 at 11:50 am | Permalink | Reply

• neveracrossword
          Posted August 15, 2016 at 11:52 am | Permalink | Reply

Normal service now restored, thank you.

• Posted August 15, 2016 at 11:52 am | Permalink | Reply

This time it was a case of rushing to publish. Should be OK now

• Ora Meringue
        Posted August 15, 2016 at 11:52 am | Permalink | Reply

Same with me too.

Until I posted…then miraculously they have been greyed out.

• MalcolmR
        Posted August 15, 2016 at 1:16 pm | Permalink | Reply

And my laptop using Opera.

Never heard of the back end of 21D; and the seat in 17A was new to me, too.

• Chris
      Posted August 15, 2016 at 11:57 am | Permalink | Reply

Ditto but OK after refreshing screen.

3. Graham
    Posted August 15, 2016 at 11:52 am | Permalink | Reply

I propose a new element to the olympics sitting down crossword solving, with MP as the team coach. This one was solved very easily without needing a team talk from MP but thanks anyway for the review.

Posted August 15, 2016 at 11:52 am | Permalink | Reply

1.5*/4*. Light but huge fun as ever on a Monday. A few clues in the SW corner pushed my time up to a little over 1*. The last four letters of 21d were a new word for me and had me reaching for my BRB.

Many thanks to Rufus and to MP.

5. Spook
    Posted August 15, 2016 at 11:53 am | Permalink | Reply

Mine aren’t greyed out either using iPad.
    Had a great start until SE corner then got a bit stumped on 30a.
    Thanks to Miffypops and setter.

6. Angel
    Posted August 15, 2016 at 11:57 am | Permalink | Reply

IMHO not amongst the most entertaining of our cruciverbal challenges possibly due to weariness after the long Sensational Sunday of Olympics (golf, cricket, etc.) To finish off needed help with 26d but even now with MP’s help I don’t really “get” it. Where do “spinners” come into 25a? Why only commoners being offered rear accommodation in 17a? Penny took a while to drop in 23a. Fav for its simplicity was 12a. Thanks Mysteron and MP. **/**.

• Ora Meringue
      Posted August 15, 2016 at 12:00 pm | Permalink | Reply

I think Miffypops has explained about the spinners in his hint for 25a

• Angel
        Posted August 15, 2016 at 1:39 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks OM. I am afraid I had not read MP’s hint and had foolishly settled on ‘spit’ without being able to parse it!

7. Ora Meringue
    Posted August 15, 2016 at 11:59 am | Permalink | Reply

Very enjoyable today…especially as I solved it alone and unaided by either electronic means or the hints….an unusual occurrence in Meringue Towers

Thanks to the setter and to Miffypops

Posted August 15, 2016 at 12:17 pm | Permalink | Reply

Meringue Towers sounds like a very posh pavlova!

8. bifield
    Posted August 15, 2016 at 12:34 pm | Permalink | Reply

A nice straightforward start to the week. No tricky moments at all. Thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops for the entertaining review.

9. Jane
    Posted August 15, 2016 at 1:06 pm | Permalink | Reply

I’m another who didn’t know the meaning of the last four letters of 21d and I also had to check the spelling of the Irish parliament – always get the vowels in the wrong order.
    Top two for me were 10a and 26d.

Thanks to Rufus and to our seated Olympian.

• Brian
      Posted August 15, 2016 at 1:43 pm | Permalink | Reply

Me too but it is in the BRB.😊

Posted August 15, 2016 at 1:42 pm | Permalink | Reply

Typical Monday, no great problem but a couple of slightly trickier clues such as 19d (is a fine a sentence?, not sure about that) and 17a which was new to me but Google sorted it out.
    Could anyone tell me what a Daggert is (21d on the Quickie), it’s not listed in my copy of Chambers nor in Google which keeps telling me it is a character in Emmerdale!
    Thx to all

• pommers
      Posted August 15, 2016 at 1:51 pm | Permalink | Reply

A Daggert is a misprint.

• Brian
        Posted August 15, 2016 at 2:54 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thx I’ll stop worrying and put in ****.😉

• Jose
        Posted August 16, 2016 at 11:01 am | Permalink | Reply

Yes, I got all my dictionaries out (including the SOED) and could find no trace of “daggert”. So I guessed it was a typo and bunged in dirk.

• Jose
          Posted August 16, 2016 at 11:04 am | Permalink | Reply

Although, come to think of it, if you say it with a strong Scottish twang it does sound as though it could be a dirk or dagger…

• Jose
      Posted August 16, 2016 at 11:17 am | Permalink | Reply

B. Just for the record, 19d: Here’s a typical definition of the word sentence – “the judgment formally pronounced upon a person convicted in criminal proceedings, esp. the decision as to what punishment is to be imposed”. A fine is an imposed punishment, so I reckon it can correctly be called a sentence.

11. Graham Wall
    Posted August 15, 2016 at 2:10 pm | Permalink | Reply

Nothing difficult with this Monday offering, although it took me a bit of time to recognise the anagram indicator in 28A. My rating would be 1*/3* and my thanks to MP for the blog.

12. Phil Oliver
    Posted August 15, 2016 at 2:19 pm | Permalink | Reply

Absolutely superb help as normal, thank you. I couldn’t for the life of me work out 23/28 A or 22/26/27 D.
    Thanks again ;-)

13. Beaver
    Posted August 15, 2016 at 2:33 pm | Permalink | Reply

I note that nearly all the blog comments are on the short side probably because there’s nothing much to say really about todays puzzle, for the record a */*** for me.
    Pleasant start to the week and took my mind off the dismal cricket performance, I’d drop three batsmen and start again-plus a left arm spinner for India, is this a daggert I see before me ?

• Brian
      Posted August 15, 2016 at 2:56 pm | Permalink | Reply

Couldn’t agree more and it’s very obvious which 3 to drop and at least give Ben Druckett a chance. We must be careful, too much cricket chat and we will have Kath up in arms.

14. LabradorsruleOK
    Posted August 15, 2016 at 2:59 pm | Permalink | Reply

Not very challenging for me even though, like others, the word in 21d new. Not overly enthused by it either. Perhaps late nights, concentration on channel juggling & waiting for the red button channel to stream is catching up on me. Thank goodness for long-life batteries for the remote.
    The golf gold medal could not have gone to a finer role model for youngsters in any sport, well done Justin Rose
    Thanks to all.

15. Hanni
    Posted August 15, 2016 at 3:18 pm | Permalink | Reply

Light fluffy and quite enjoyable…although I struggled with 23a for the longest time. Goodness knows why.

Many thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops for a great blog written whilst sat in a chair. Remarkable spirit shown there.

Well done to team GB too.

Posted August 15, 2016 at 3:19 pm | Permalink | Reply

I do enjoy Rufus’s puzzles.
    We had mahogany 17a in Jamaica, wish I could have brought them with me. I’m nominating that as my fave clue.
    Thanks to Rufus and to M’pops for his review.

17. silvanus
    Posted August 15, 2016 at 3:37 pm | Permalink | Reply

Unusually few anagrams for a Monday, although all the other familiar features were in evidence.

My two ticked clues today were 10a and 13a, plenty of others ran them close.

Many thanks to Mr. Squires and to Miffypops. It’s fortunate that cricket isn’t an Olympic sport, since if England were to reach the podium, it’s fairly likely that they would drop their medals ;-)

18. Tstrummer
    Posted August 15, 2016 at 3:50 pm | Permalink | Reply

Completed in the laundrette while waiting for washing to dry. The crossword was finished before the washing. Not quite R&W – held up by 25a and 26d, and in the end 26 was a bung in after a toss-up between Hera and Vera. No stand-out clues, but all good fun. Ta to Rufus and MP, Olympic buttockiste par extraordinaire. 1*/3*

19. Vancouverbc
    Posted August 15, 2016 at 4:09 pm | Permalink | Reply

*/**. Over far too soon and strangely not especially enjoyable for a quick solve. I didn’t mark a single clue as noteworthy. Nevertheless thanks to the setter and MP for an amusing review. I’m currently sat down hoping for a gold medal.

Posted August 15, 2016 at 4:10 pm | Permalink | Reply

Hmm and oh dear! I didn’t find this at all easy but it looks as if it’s just me – oh well – I’ve boiled my brains doing the weeding.
    Having ‘second degree’ for 12a wasn’t a good start and neither was ‘union’ for 24a.
    I missed the anagram indicator in 11d and was slow with 5d – dim again!
    They were my main problems.
    I liked 12 and 23a (that one also took me ages) and 18 and 26d. My favourite was, eventually, 5d.
    Thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops.
    Back to the weeding for a little while and then Mr Rookie, I think.

21. Penky
    Posted August 15, 2016 at 4:46 pm | Permalink | Reply

After yesterday’s slog, only managing to get half way and gave up, today’s one really restored my confidence . A real R&W done it record time for me and very enjoyable to boot. Must be one of my more lucid days!

22. stanXYZ
    Posted August 15, 2016 at 4:58 pm | Permalink | Reply

A very amusing blog from Miffypops!

Every time i switched over to watch the tennis … they were both sitting down!

Posted August 15, 2016 at 5:32 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops for the review and hints. I enjoyed this one very much, found it quite straightforward, but got stuck on 22d, needed the hints for that, would never have thought of it. Favourite was 12a. Was 2*/3* for me.

24. pommers
    Posted August 15, 2016 at 6:04 pm | Permalink | Reply

Good fun but Rufus in very benign mode. Fortunately the agio has come up more than once so was remembered. */*** from me.

Thanks to Rufus and MP – BTW, I’m sitting while typing this post.

25. Gwizz
    Posted August 15, 2016 at 6:47 pm | Permalink | Reply

A gentle but pleasant start to the week. Certainly nothing to spook the horses!
    I liked 26d cos it were to my mind a bit clever. 1.5/3* overall.
    Thanks to Rufus and the man on the throne.

26. mre
    Posted August 15, 2016 at 6:58 pm | Permalink | Reply

Good evening everybody.

Started well enough but gradually pegged back and ultimately foxed by 22d and 26d (still don’t see how that solution comes about) so what should have been a rouitine **/*** affair becomes ****/***

27. Miffypops
    Posted August 15, 2016 at 7:08 pm | Permalink | Reply

This woman Vera can be found at the head of a big place which is a city. Veracity = Truth.

28. Paso Doble
    Posted August 15, 2016 at 7:34 pm | Permalink | Reply

Good stuff and very enjoyable.

29. BusyLizzie
    Posted August 15, 2016 at 8:28 pm | Permalink | Reply

A pleasant puzzle, but still some spaces I could not fill until I read Miffpops’ hints, thank you. Had forgotten G = midnight, and kept trying to make a word out of lion and M… If these puzzles were difficult every day some would get discouraged and lose interest. And there is always the Toughie for you brighter souls.

30. Jaylegs
    Posted August 15, 2016 at 8:46 pm | Permalink | Reply

I did not find this as easy as some 😬 SW corner caused some concern needing hints for 23a & 26d ( I had Hera as my answer “this woman”) 😕 ***/** Thanks to MP and to Rufus liked 18d & 23a 😄

31. Posted August 15, 2016 at 9:02 pm | Permalink | Reply

As yesterday I find myself with Kath. My brain is just not very Rufusy.

Very appropriately for me I had to work hard to get 15d. It wasn’t quite my last though: for some reason I went blind at the 23a/22d intersection. I also had to check 21d’s agio and now hope it occurs again soon to give me a chance of remembering it. To add to my woes I couldn’t quite put my finger on 26d. D’oh! and Grr!

My favourite is my kindred 16d. Grr!

Many thanks to sitter and setter.

• stanXYZ
      Posted August 15, 2016 at 10:40 pm | Permalink | Reply

Clever Kitty!

Posted August 15, 2016 at 11:02 pm | Permalink | Reply

Oh good – my brain isn’t very Rufusy – nor is it very Gionanniy – I sometimes wonder what it is, or even if it is! :sad:

• Posted August 15, 2016 at 11:37 pm | Permalink | Reply

Mine neither: I’m hoping my brain is just Giovanniey enough to get me through the impending tussle with him. :wacko:

You have a RayTey brain, for a start, and I think that’s worth smiling about. :)

32. Jon_S
    Posted August 15, 2016 at 9:55 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yikes, definitely into **** for difficulty as far as I was concerned. I think I need to lie down in a dark room now.

33. Jose
    Posted August 16, 2016 at 10:56 am | Permalink | Reply

Very, very gentle start to the week. OK, but I can’t get at all enthused by solving an easy cryptic. But no disrespect to the setter – I’m sure they are under instruction to vary the difficulty. It’s horses for courses, I guess. 1.2*/2.5*

34. HoofItYouDonkey
    Posted August 17, 2016 at 6:09 am | Permalink | Reply

Greetings from North Devon, where the weather is stunning.
    A day on Instow beach left the grey cells understandably tired, so the top half of this was R&W, but hit a bit of a brick wall with the bottom half when the effects of seven hours on the beach finally caught up with me, so a few of MP’s excellent hints were needed, many thanks.
    Never heard of the style of chair!!
    Thanks again, MP and to Rufus.

35. Owdoo
    Posted August 20, 2016 at 5:28 pm | Permalink | Reply

It seems 27d is not as rare a triple definition as you might think MP.
    I was catching up on some puzzles I missed whilst on holiday last month and guess what I came across at 15a in the grid for Wednesday 6 July? Yes, you guessed it, the same clue except with the two parts of its body in the opposite order!