Hints and tips by Minty Miffypops

BD Rating [A bit of fun. Not a branch of mathematics.] – Difficulty **Enjoyment ****

Good morning from the heart of Downtown L I where the sun is shining down upon us. Rufus is once again at his glorious best with a clever puzzle that contains lots of different clue types for us to chew over. At Wimbledon we have Federer and Murray to watch later with a bit of Pat a cake, Pat a cake, Grunt, Grunt, Grunt, thrown in between.

The hints and tips below are my attempt to guide you through this puzzle and cut through the mystery that surrounds the cluing of cryptic crossword puzzles. If you are still bamboozled after reading the hints and tips then click on the greyed out box to reveal the answer.

Please leave a comment telling us what you thought.

1a    Trains — or parts of them (7)
COACHES: As a verb train somebody in a skill (Grunting perhaps?) As a plural noun another word for the carriages that make up a choo choo train

5a    Company in a rush for strike (7)
SCOURGE: The usual abbreviation for company is placed inside(in) word meaning rush or as google definitions puts it, a sudden powerful forward or upward movement, especially by a crowd or by a natural force such as the tide.

9a    Reveal permit to board (3,2)
LET ON: To reveal a secret perhaps or to allow a person to board a ship.

10a    Bill joins detectives sent out following crashes (9)
ACCIDENTS: Our two lettered abbreviation for a bill or ac(count) is followed by some detectives from the C(riminal) I(nvestigation) D(epartment) and an anagram (out) of SENT

11a    I can put back appearing before clergyman’s office, but it’s not right (10)
INACCURACY: I, from the clue is followed by the reversed word (put back) CAN. This is then followed by the name of a curate’s office. Not the curate himself. It is not what is asked for and it messes up 5 down

12a    Big game shot (4)
MEGA: My last one in. I completely missed the anagram indicator (shot) which then caused me to miss the anagram fodder which was GAME.

14a    Two residences become one for the Lord Mayor (7,5)
MANSION HOUSE: The two residencies, one smaller and one larger together give the address of The home and office of the Lord Mayor of London situated opposite The Bank Of England at Bank Junction

18a    Cheese plates thrown in contest (12)

21a    Novice learner coming from Austrian province (4)
TYRO: Remove the L of L(earner) from the only Austrian province I can name to leave a word meaning a novice. Both the area of Austria and the answer only exist in crosswordland.

22a    School subject, possibly thematic, includes religious instruction (10)
ARITHMETIC: Place the two letters of the school subject R(eligious) I(nstruction) inside a simple anagram (possibly) of THEMATIC

25a    Scattered once and never to get together again (9)
RECONVENE: Anagram (scattered) of ONCE and NEVER

26a    Singer with only half a score getting nothing right (5)
TENOR: A score is twenty. Half it and add the round letter that looks like a zero (nothing) and the R from R(ight)

27a    Actors went ahead and changed 13 positions (7)
CASTLED: A four letter word for a list of actors is followed by a word meaning went ahead. Together they refer to a move possible in the game that solves the clue for 13 down.

28a    Erudite man or youngster in form (7)
SCHOLAR: A double definition. The second being a child in a classroom. I was one of the latter in my younger day. My O level results spelled out the word F.U.D.G.E.

1d    Roughly manoeuvred sail in French port (6)
CALAIS: Roughly here means Circa and is abbreviated to Ca. This is one for newer solvers to learn and remember as it is used quite often. An anagram (manoeuvred) of SAIL follows.

2d    In reality a cult’s converting around area (6)
ACTUAL: Anagram (converting) of A CULT around A(rea)

3d    Worker embraces American’s greetings (10)
HANDCLASPS: Two definitions. A manual worker and a word meaning to embrace tightly with one’s hand will give the Americanism for our handshake.

4d    Steps look sound (5)
STAIR: The word for one of the steps that take you from the ground floor of your house the first floor sounds like a word meaning to look at something fixedly. This is known as a homophone clue. Don’t you just love them? Double definitions with a sting. It could be worse though. It could have been a dreaded spoonerism.

5d    Dismiss ministers, a sign of contrition (9)
SACKCLOTH: To dismiss as In fire from a job. Ministers as in Men of The Cloth.

6d    They’re laid unevenly (4)
ODDS: A betting term used in horseracing.

7d    One hoists a flag for a second (6-2)
RUNNER-UP: The chappie who sends the flag up the flagpole is also the chappie who comes in next after the winner in a race.

8d    Caught up in new translation of Andersen (8)
ENSNARED: Anagram (new translation) of ANDERSEN

13d    Board meeting? (5,5)
CHESS MATCH: An all in one definition of a game using Kings, Queens, Bishops, Horses (Gee Gees) and Castles. (Cue in depth discussion over the use of the word castle)

15d    First in line for asparagus tip? (9)
SPEARHEAD: A double definition. The first being an individual or group chosen to lead an attack. The second being the delicious tip of the Asparagus plant that goes so well with a dippy egg.

16d    Touching toes, exercising — man’s secret (8)
ESOTERIC: Anagram (exercising) of TOES followed (touching) by a man’s name. Which man? My Uncle. Auntie Nellies husband.

17d    Caterers involved in domestic rows (8)
TERRACES: Anagram (involved) of CATERERS

19d    An alto in composition lacking an established key (6)
ATONAL: Anagram (in composition) of AN ALTO

20d    One making records gets the music right (6)
SCORER: The one recording the facts and figures during a cricket match can be found by putting the word for a written musical composition before the letter R(ight)

23d    Checked garments for Scottish soldiers (5)
TREWS: The shortened form of the word trousers is also the word for close fitting tartan trousers as worn by some Scottish regiments.

24d    A love for indigo (4)
ANIL: A from the clue and a word meaning nothing or love in a tennis match is also a shade of blue

Apart from 12 across this was all completed very quickly. Thanks to Rufus for inadvertently providing the musical excess.

The Quick Crossword pun: incense+sibyl=insensible

1. neveracrossword
    Posted July 4, 2016 at 11:05 am | Permalink | Reply

Good stuff. I’ll promote 7d to first place. Thank you Myps and Rufus.

2. Posted July 4, 2016 at 11:54 am | Permalink | Reply

Not sure what happened there – I added the quickie pun and the post reverted to draft.

• Angel
      Posted July 4, 2016 at 11:59 am | Permalink | Reply

Good to know that BD. I wrote a comment and tried to post it but got message “page not found”. It has in fact happened to me on a couple of previous occasions. Anyway I’ll try again.

Posted July 4, 2016 at 12:49 pm | Permalink | Reply

What a relief to hear I’m not the only one that this kind of thing happens to. :phew:

3. Sheffieldsy
    Posted July 4, 2016 at 11:59 am | Permalink | Reply

Thanks MP, or is it now MMP? By coincidence, our last one in was 12a too, other than that it was an enjoyable R&W. Still not sure why 12a wasn’t obvious right away; it certainly was when we got it. 1*/3* from us. Loved 7d and the more we re-read 15d the better it became.

Didn’t we see 4d over the weekend?

Holidaying just outside Brighton after a week in the New Forest, it seems the weather has finally picked up for us.

We close with thanks to Rufus.

4. Angel
    Posted July 4, 2016 at 12:05 pm | Permalink | Reply

Once again Rufus has given us a nice start to the week. Some googling revealed the Gaelic word “triubhas” for 23d – good to live and learn. MP your hint reminded me of New Year’s Eve In days of yore. 24d also added to my vocabulary. Second part of 3d delayed me a bit. Fav possibly 7d. Thanks Rufus and MP. ***/***.

Posted July 4, 2016 at 12:08 pm | Permalink | Reply

1*/3*. The top half was R&W apart from 3d which I needed to check in my BRB. Full marks to the setter for clearly indicating that it is an Americanism! The bottom half took a little more thought with 23d my last one in.

Perhaps not surprisingly 13d was my favourite, but I’m not rising to MP’s bait.

Many thanks to Rufus and to MP.

6. AnntheArt
    Posted July 4, 2016 at 12:12 pm | Permalink | Reply

Much better day and completed almost sans hints but not sans gizmos.
    I realised in my haste to celebrate that I had not filled in 23d, so read the hint. We quaintly used the word in my youth for trousers in the days when astonishingly women teachers were discouraged from wearing anything but sensible skirts.
    3d needed some looking up as did 21a, although had got the answer but was a new word for me.
    Thanks to Rufus and to MP for an enjoyable solve, especially after yesterday’s struggle!

7. Ridgerunner
    Posted July 4, 2016 at 12:18 pm | Permalink | Reply

Nice easy monday fare.
    Thanks to setter and MP for blog and one of my favourites by the other Elvis at 10a.
    But how come 23d video shows no trews?
    Doddie Weir is always wearing striking ones when commentating on rugby on TV.
    I’m a kilt man myself.

8. Omar
    Posted July 4, 2016 at 12:24 pm | Permalink | Reply

12a was my last in also, just after 5a…..both these held me up, otherwise not too difficult but very enjoyable….

9. Jane
    Posted July 4, 2016 at 12:27 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yes, I can vouch for the fact that careless reading of 11a leads to dreadful problems with 5d……..
    Checked the definitions of both 19&24d before committing pen to paper but otherwise a quite straightforward solve.
    Top two for me were 4&17d.

Thanks to Rufus and also to MP – musical accompaniments to suit all tastes today, well done indeed!

10. Beaver
    Posted July 4, 2016 at 12:48 pm | Permalink | Reply

Started badly when I put ‘engines’ in for 1a- seemed to fit the clue, discovered my error when the checking letters went in.
    Anyway a bright and breezy start to the week and a */*** for me, liked 14a.
    Been away for a few days , no computer, but have to mention 23a from Friday’s puzzle-brilliant. Oh and as usual enjoyed the Sunday solve, the setter has a penchant for long two worded anagrams.

Posted July 4, 2016 at 1:21 pm | Permalink | Reply

What a mess I made of this one – because of that it was 3* difficulty (all my own fault) and 3* for enjoyment too.
    I fell into the 11a trap – dim – but didn’t have the sense to realise my mistake so couldn’t do 5d and because of that couldn’t do 5a either.
    I was slow to get the 18a anagram.
    My 28a ‘youngster’ was the ‘ch’ which left me with a problem there as ‘solar’ was clearly not ‘form’.
    I liked 12 and 26a and 6 and 13d.
    With thanks to Rufus and to MP.
    Off now to see what else can go wrong today. So far the crossword went wrong, a stray tissue ended up in the washing machine and we seem to have resident rabbit in the garden – the Lambs have taken to calling me Mrs McGregor.

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted July 4, 2016 at 1:24 pm | Permalink | Reply

Please don’t put your resident rabbit in a pie …

Posted July 4, 2016 at 1:50 pm | Permalink | Reply

Don’t worry – if those two go on calling me Mrs McGregor shepherd’s pie is more likely.

• cat
          Posted July 4, 2016 at 8:24 pm | Permalink | Reply

Ha Ha, that made me laugh out loud

12. Posted July 4, 2016 at 1:45 pm | Permalink | Reply

The fill was straightforward enough, but I missed the parsing of 21a.  Didn’t think I knew any Austrian provinces, so guessed the answer might be one, with the first two words of the clue covering the definition. Oops! I’m not sure I’d actually heard of 3d either, but not a problem.

Many thanks to Rufus and to our peppermint host for the entertainment.  An absolutely brilliant selection of videos.

Having taken a break from commenting at the weekend, as I sometimes do, I’ll also just add my thanks here to BD for those hints – particularly one of the Saturday pictures – and for everything else too.

13. pete
    Posted July 4, 2016 at 1:58 pm | Permalink | Reply

A fairly easy start to the week. I took longer than I should have done to get 12a, didnt realise it was an anagram.Many thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops for the hints.

14. Graham
    Posted July 4, 2016 at 2:33 pm | Permalink | Reply

12a my favourite. Several new words. Agree with Miffypops over rating. Thanks all.

Posted July 4, 2016 at 2:34 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thought Lexus owners were more minted than minty.
    Fell in the same trap in 11a at first and 12a was also my last one in.
    Favourite clue is 26a (singer with only half).
    Favourite clip is 22a (school subject).
    Thanks to Rufus and to MP for the review.

• Miffypops
      Posted July 4, 2016 at 2:42 pm | Permalink | Reply

I might be if I didn’t have a Lexus.. A fat lot of use it is at the moment. Saint Sharon is out in it and I want to watch the tennis but cannot work the TV. By the time she returns it will be pat a cake time.

• jean-luc cheval
        Posted July 4, 2016 at 2:58 pm | Permalink | Reply

No Wimbledon on French TV. Tour de France takes precedence.
        Not to mention the Euro of course.
        By the way, did you know that France was in the semi finals?

• Rabbit Dave
          Posted July 4, 2016 at 3:07 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yes, but anybody could beat Iceland ….

• jean-luc cheval
            Posted July 4, 2016 at 3:21 pm | Permalink | Reply

• Rabbit Dave
              Posted July 4, 2016 at 3:34 pm | Permalink | Reply

The good news for me is that my granddaughter’s school is running a sweepstake for the closest prediction to the final result and score. My entry from three weeks ago is France to beat Portugal 3-2 so I’m still in with a chance.

The prize…
              …to be appointed manager of the England Football team. :cry:

• Angel
            Posted July 4, 2016 at 5:54 pm | Permalink | Reply

Almost anybody!

16. LetterboxRoy
    Posted July 4, 2016 at 2:45 pm | Permalink | Reply

I have never come across either 21a & 23d before, I’m sure.

Not entirely sure about 4d – a single one is generally called the word in the clue, and the word in the clue is plural, but the answer is singular. I may just be having a senior moment, or just being plain pedantic!

Anyway, all good fun, thanks to all as ever.

• Physicist
      Posted July 4, 2016 at 3:32 pm | Permalink | Reply

According to the BRB, the singular word can mean a step or a flight of them, especially in Scotland.

• LetterboxRoy
        Posted July 4, 2016 at 3:58 pm | Permalink | Reply

Really? I will write it out 100 times!

I thought it was, by definition, one of several; otherwise it’s just the singular clue. That’s what Collins 2014 implies.

Thanks for the heads up, and for checking it out.

Btw, what’s a BRB? Sounds like I need to source one…

• LetterboxRoy
          Posted July 4, 2016 at 4:17 pm | Permalink | Reply

OK, found out what BRB is, and one is on order.
          Thanks again

• Posted July 4, 2016 at 6:27 pm | Permalink | Reply

There may be a scrap of paper in the hall or on the stair —
        But it’s useless to investigate — Macavity’s not there!

T.S. Eliot, Macavity: The Mystery Cat

• Physicist
          Posted July 4, 2016 at 7:36 pm | Permalink | Reply

“Yesterday, upon the stair,
          I met a man who wasn’t there.
          He wasn’t there again today,
          I wish, I wish he’d go away!”

(William Hughes Mearns)

• Shropshirelad
            Posted July 4, 2016 at 7:44 pm | Permalink | Reply

When I was a child in Scotland, if I had incurred the wrath of either parent – punishment was preceded by ‘get up that stair, now!’. Still scary after all these years – as Paul Simon (nearly) wrote.

17. silvanus
    Posted July 4, 2016 at 3:07 pm | Permalink | Reply

I didn’t find it quite as straightforward as others seemed to, but no real difficulties either, so somewhere in between, just like the position of Kermit’s nephew Robin who illustrated 4d.

My favourite clue was 5d, although several others were in close contention.

Many thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops.

Posted July 4, 2016 at 3:19 pm | Permalink | Reply

Tricky little SW corner not helped by a new word Anil, needed the BRB for that one.
    Apart from the great fun.
    Thx to all

Posted July 4, 2016 at 3:37 pm | Permalink | Reply

Love Rufus’s offerings. Last in was 12a, in company with many here.
    I have lived here in the US for 40 years now, so I must have heard of 3d if it really is an Americanism, but I am not aware of it. I wrote the answer in because it fit, fully expecting it to be wrong. Live and learn.
    I had the ending of 11a wrong too, Kath, but getting 5d corrected that.
    Fave was 14a, kept thinking of Lambeth Palace, then remembered that’s the home of the Archbishop.
    Thanks to Rufus and to M’pops for the entertainment.

• Miffypops
      Posted July 4, 2016 at 3:47 pm | Permalink | Reply

And my avatar?

Posted July 4, 2016 at 5:29 pm | Permalink | Reply

Ooooh, look at that cuteness!! He’s growing up so quickly, next thing you know, he’ll be borrowing your Lexus. I’m presuming he is now known as Harry! Well done, M’pops, thank you for that.

20. Tstrummer
    Posted July 4, 2016 at 3:44 pm | Permalink | Reply

Good stuff from Rufus once again. No real problems and a few smiles, with 15d just edging it for me. 1*/3* Thanks to the man who has been touched by the hand of Bob, but doesn’t take driving seriously, and Rufus of course.

• Posted July 4, 2016 at 10:20 pm | Permalink | Reply

Hi Ts – good to see you back. Just wanted to wish you a belated Happy Birthday for Saturday.

21. Vancouverbc
    Posted July 4, 2016 at 3:59 pm | Permalink | Reply

**/****. Liked a number of clues – 21a&5d favourites. 5d also saved me from the mistake I would have made with 11a. 4d was a stretch for me – singular answer for a plural definition. 24a needed Mr Google to confirm. Thanks to the setter and MP for the review.

• LetterboxRoy
      Posted July 4, 2016 at 4:12 pm | Permalink | Reply

Re: 4d – Me too, see post 16 and Physicist’s clarification.

• Vancouverbc
        Posted July 4, 2016 at 4:55 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks – I was too lazy to go to my BRB.

22. Jaylegs
    Posted July 4, 2016 at 4:26 pm | Permalink | Reply

Nice straightforward puzzle */*** very enjoyable 😊 Nearly as enjoyable as the most musical blog of the year. Particularly liked the Tom Lehrer 😍 Puzzled over the answer to 27a until all was revealed in the blog 🤔 Liked 17d & 11a. Big thanks to MP and to Rufus 👍

23. Carolyn in Ontario aka CarolynP
    Posted July 4, 2016 at 4:33 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thank goodness for Big Dave and Minty on this one.

24D. I was completely stuck. One word did pop into my head but I was pretty sure that wouldn’t be it. Not in the Daily Telegraph! Ahem…………. pardon me.

24. Hanni
    Posted July 4, 2016 at 4:39 pm | Permalink | Reply

Fairly straightforward although 21a caused a few problems! And 23d.

Many thanks to Rufus and to Mintypops for a great blog.

Posted July 4, 2016 at 5:05 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops for the review and hints. I enjoyed this one very much, with the exception of 3d, I don’t like Americanisms one bit. Favourite was 14a, last in was 23d. Was 2*/4* for me. First Monday completion for ages. Come on Murray.

Posted July 4, 2016 at 5:36 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yes, please, come on Murray! I’ll be in tears if the other one wins, he’s a real piece of work!

Posted July 4, 2016 at 6:58 pm | Permalink | Reply

I think he’s an interesting piece of work and one to be watched when he’s had time to grow up a bit – he’s very young.
        Roughly on the same topic – i.e. the tennis – I’m not a twit so I don’t tweet but in the paper today there was a quotation (tweet of the day) which I saved up to tell you, “Wimbledon would be much more fun to watch if they replaced the ball boys with dogs”. I don’t agree but . . . .

Posted July 4, 2016 at 8:18 pm | Permalink | Reply

Oh, I love that idea!! Why not? I ask.

Re Kyrgios- yes, he’s young and has a lot of growing up to do, but when someone is downright nasty, I go off them. He does play a good game, though.

26. dutch
    Posted July 4, 2016 at 5:05 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yep, I had curate in 11a which messed up 5d (you’re not alone Kath)

Had to search for the scottish trousers, I had no idea.

Many thanks MP for some more great music. I’ll stick with my old math.

And thank you Rufus

• HoofItYouDonkey
      Posted July 4, 2016 at 8:09 pm | Permalink | Reply

Strike a light!!!
      I made the same mistake with 11a, no wonder I couldn’t get 5d!!!
      Makes 5d obvious now…

27. Gwizz
    Posted July 4, 2016 at 5:22 pm | Permalink | Reply

A fairly gentle to the week with no hiccups. I liked 15d best, and overall 1.5/3*.
    Thanks to Rufus, and to Mintypops for a great review.

28. Dr M
    Posted July 4, 2016 at 5:26 pm | Permalink | Reply

Nice Rufus puzzle, fairly straightforward although I did need MMP hints for 5a, accompanied by a groan when I twigged the answer. Too many good clues for me to single one out.

29. mre
    Posted July 4, 2016 at 5:35 pm | Permalink | Reply

Good afternoon everybody.

A fine puzzle back page puzzle to start the week. 5a and 24d pushed me into three star time but mostly straightforward enough. Nor were the rationales for 3d, 4d and 16d clear to me.

30. BusyLizzie
    Posted July 4, 2016 at 7:23 pm | Permalink | Reply

Very satisfying puzzle today, held up by 11a as I spent far too long pondering on a name for a curate’s office. Also 3d, as having lived over here in the US for 30 plus years (where everyone is celebrating the 4th today) I have never come across the answer as an Americanism for handshake? Everyone I have met has used the word handshake. Well off to the barbecue and fireworks now 😊

Posted July 4, 2016 at 8:23 pm | Permalink | Reply

I agree with you, see my comment #19. I have never heard of 3d for handshake, I wonder what part of America uses that.

Happy Fourth to you. I’m staying home with the dogs and cats, the noise frightens them!

31. Shropshirelad
    Posted July 4, 2016 at 7:26 pm | Permalink | Reply

Pretty much what you would expect for a Monday back pager, although after the first read through I only had 2 answers penned in. After a bit more concentration – the second pass was more fruitful and nothing really held me up.

I was surprised to see a clue like 22a on a DT cryptic – especially from Rufus. Didn’t require a great deal of thought.

I will opt for 17d as my favourite of the day – lovely clue.

Thanks to Rufus for the puzzle and MMP for his enlightening review.

Wasn’t ‘Minty’ a character from Eastenders?

• Miffypops
      Posted July 4, 2016 at 7:42 pm | Permalink | Reply

I have never watched Eastenders so I would not know. In Saint Sharon’s absence I have twice tried and twice failed to make the tv work in the last week. I think I like it like that.

• Shropshirelad
        Posted July 4, 2016 at 8:19 pm | Permalink | Reply

Is the TV in the pub or in your new car? Are you, in fact, in the car and you haven’t noticed? :whistle:

Posted July 4, 2016 at 7:36 pm | Permalink | Reply

The clergyman rather than his office was also our first attempt at 11a and sorted out when our 5d answer did not want to fit. The rest all went in smoothly. Nice puzzle.
    Thanks Rufus and MP.

33. Florence
    Posted July 4, 2016 at 7:49 pm | Permalink | Reply

Read the clue Florence,read the clue !!! I too had the wrong ending for 11a. Also made hard work of the sw corner. Still some fun was had. I loved the clip for 23d. No problem there. We used to listen to Andy Stewart bringing in the New Year with a BBC Scotland broadcast. New Year’s Day was not a Bank Holiday back then.At least not in England. Everybody had to go to work on January 1st, whilst a few miles over the border, everyone could stay at home and nurse a hangover. Thank you Rufus and thanks Miffypops for the nostalgia.

34. Jon_S
    Posted July 4, 2016 at 7:58 pm | Permalink | Reply

On the harder side for Rufus, I thought. 24d needed checking online… 17d I thought was nicely done, I was looking for an entirely different sort of row, and should have known better. Did anybody else lob in HANDSHAKES for 3d without thinking too much about it? That accounted for no end of problems in that corner. LOI 6d, a very good cryptic def.

Posted July 4, 2016 at 8:03 pm | Permalink | Reply

An amusing doddle – just the job to start the week – call it 1*/4*. 5d made me laugh (well, I’m easily amused!) so gets my vote for top clue. Thanks to Jay, and to Miffypops for a splendidly amusing review.

• Shropshirelad
      Posted July 4, 2016 at 8:21 pm | Permalink | Reply

36. Paso Doble
    Posted July 4, 2016 at 8:31 pm | Permalink | Reply

The usual delightful fare from Rufus to start the week. Many thanks to MP for the entertaining review. A **/**** from us.

37. cat
    Posted July 4, 2016 at 8:32 pm | Permalink | Reply

A fairly gentle puzzle today although 23d was my last in, first I had plaid and then I had kilts and just couldn’t get there for ages.

38. HoofItYouDonkey
    Posted July 4, 2016 at 8:34 pm | Permalink | Reply

Frustratingly, just needed a couple of hints to cross the line.
    Very enjoyable crossword though.
    Thanks MP for a typically amusing and informative blog and to Rufus for the challenge.

39. jan
    Posted July 5, 2016 at 12:02 am | Permalink | Reply

Super puzzle, and really enjoyed the hints especially the illustrated ones. Curate and anil got me too. Thank you Rufus and Miffypops.

• Miffypops
      Posted July 5, 2016 at 12:18 am | Permalink | Reply

Our pleasure (If I may speak for Rufus.) I am pleased you enjoyed the hints. They are written just so you may do so.

40. Young Salopian
    Posted July 5, 2016 at 1:55 pm | Permalink | Reply

I was out all day yesterday so only just got round to completing this little gem from Rufus. By this time I think everything must have been said, so I will just give my belated thanks to both the setter and MP and rate this 2*/4*.