ST 2851 (Hints)

Sunday Telegraph Cryptic No 2851 (Hints)

Hints and tips by Big Dave

As is usual for the weekend prize crosswords, a number of the more difficult clues have been selected and hints provided for them.

Some hints follow:

7a    Absurd probe into salary for one who delivers (8)
An anagram (absurd) of PROBE inside another word for salary

12a    Kind of education that’s levelling out social differences? (7,7)
A verb meaning levelling out followed by some social differences

17a    Poet sharing food with Keats, but with different starter (5)
Take the part of Keats that means food and add a different initial letter (starter)

19a    Clue recurring in puzzle, a debatable addition (4)
A signature Virgilius clue in which the answer is hidden not once but twice (recurring)

20a    Parent is, in part, changing requirement for sweater (14)
This anagram (changing) of PARENT IS IN PART gives a requirement for someone who tends to sweat a lot

23a    Misprints in American volume too unfinished (8)
The American spelling of a measure of volume followed by most of (unfinished) a word meaning too or as well

25a    Backed party about vote favouring university (6)
The reversal (backed) of a two-letter party around the letter used to indicate one’s preference on a voting paper and a word meaning favouring

28a    Unusually alert in court battle (8)
An anagram (unusually) of ALERT inside a verb meaning to court or try to win the affection of a lady

1d    Brilliant disc for John, Paul, or George, perhaps (4)
This brilliant disc is worn by holy men (but not by members of the Beatles!)

3d    Beginner from county losing couple of points, finally (4)
Start with a Northern Irish county and drop (losing) two compass points from the end (finally)

5d    Festive drinking in clubs leading to excitement (8)
C(lubs) followed by excitement or titillation

8d    Single-handedly cutting through claptrap (7)
A five-letter word meaning single-handedly inside (cutting) a preposition meaning through

13d    Damaged museum slide replaced (10)
A London museum, expressed as (1,3,1), followed by an anagram (replaced) of SLIDE

14d    Triumphantly elevate academic position (5)
Two definitions – a verb meaning to carry publicly in triumph and the position in a university held by a professor

18d    Champion leading in golf, say (7)
This verb meaning to champion is derived by putting a two-letter word meaning leading or winning inside the type of activity of which golf is an example (say)

21d    Part of seven-piece suite‘s in flat on time (6)
… this seven-piece suite is a musical opus composed by Gustav Holst

24d    How deal is cut, having spotted what’s on top of charts (4)
A verb meaning spotted followed by the compass point that is on the top of nautical charts

26d    Cheat man on board initially trapped in corner (4)
Two definitions – the second one being a chessman

Today I pay homage to the Late, Great Buddy Holly

1. JonP
    Posted June 5, 2016 at 1:16 pm | Permalink | Reply

Another fine puzzle from Virgilius. I found the top half went in quickly, but my solving was hindered in the bottom half.

Thanks to BD and Virgilius 2.5*/4.5*

Posted June 5, 2016 at 1:18 pm | Permalink | Reply

What a fine selection of very different but very enjoyable crosswords (DT, MPP, NTSPP, ST) we have been blessed with over this weekend culminating in this magnificent offering today for which my rating is 3*/5*.

This is as close to puzzle perfection as I could wish for with just the right level of difficulty, unbridled joy from start to finish, and yet another bizarre coincidence!

Many thanks to Virgilius and to BD, not only for his hints today but also for this brilliant blog.

• Jane
      Posted June 5, 2016 at 1:44 pm | Permalink | Reply

I doubt that any of us ‘weekenders’ are ever likely to forget the correct terminology in that particular area again!

Posted June 5, 2016 at 1:48 pm | Permalink | Reply

I too noted the bizarre coincidence.

The best thing about all the enjoyable crosswords this weekend is that I’ve enjoyed them twice while drafting reviews for three of them. Knowing our Gnomey as I do, I won’t be surprised if I end up drafting a review of this one too :roll:

Thanks to Virgilius and BD

Posted June 5, 2016 at 2:04 pm | Permalink | Reply

Please could someone point me in the direction of the bizarre coincidence – having a dim day. :sad:

Posted June 5, 2016 at 2:06 pm | Permalink | Reply

I’ll email you otherwise we’ll all be in BIG trouble.

Posted June 5, 2016 at 3:13 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thank you – haven’t got time for trouble, BIG or otherwise, today.

Posted June 5, 2016 at 3:40 pm | Permalink | Reply

Me too! Pretty please!

3. Posted June 5, 2016 at 1:21 pm | Permalink | Reply

The usual brilliance from our Sunday Saint. I lingered longer than I care to admit over a few in the south. Thanks to BG and BD.

4. Sgt Bilko
    Posted June 5, 2016 at 1:39 pm | Permalink | Reply

24d had me stuck for ages. couldn’t decide between two choices. think i’ve got it right now

loved 12a

Posted June 5, 2016 at 1:46 pm | Permalink | Reply

You’ve changed how you write your alias – you were sgtbilko before. Both should work now.

• Sgt Bilko
        Posted June 5, 2016 at 4:32 pm | Permalink | Reply

oops, sorry. wasn’t thinking

5. Jane
    Posted June 5, 2016 at 1:41 pm | Permalink | Reply

Another helping of Sunday enjoyment from the master. A very long time since I’ve seen a traditional 7a.
    Think my top two were 12a&13d.

Many thanks to Virgilius and also to BD for helping out with the reasoning for the last letter in 24d and for the unusual representation of the ‘seven-piece suite’!

Posted June 5, 2016 at 1:44 pm | Permalink | Reply

Lovely as per usual thank you Virgilius. My piece of paper looks like a galaxy (which is the nearest I’m going to getting told off by Kath) ;)

Thanks to BD too.

Posted June 5, 2016 at 2:02 pm | Permalink | Reply

Hmmm – think I’ll let you get away with that one! :unsure:

7. stanXYZ
    Posted June 5, 2016 at 2:11 pm | Permalink | Reply

And it’s also a Happy Birthday to … ?

Much prefer the Buddy Holly!

As always a most entertaining puzzle from Virgilius – particularly liked “.what’s on top of charts”

8. Hilary
    Posted June 5, 2016 at 2:14 pm | Permalink | Reply

Total bliss, after aborting on the Prize Puzzle I turned to this one to cheer me up and it certainly did. Jane we received a Christmas card from someone called Luke who apparently is our Sunday 1a, the rest of the week is the lovely David. Back to Mr G, several smiley moments far to many to risk a favourite but 28a is high on the list. Thanks as always to BD for untangling things.

Posted June 5, 2016 at 2:15 pm | Permalink | Reply

Another lovely crossword and a sunny day – what more could anyone ask for, apart from a functioning brain.
    I was terribly slow to get going – only three across answers having read through all the across clues but the downs went a bit better.
    Like Jane I needed BD’s hint to understand the last letter of 24d.
    Don’t anyone ask me how or why but 25a was my last answer. :roll:
    I’d never heard of that meaning of 28a.
    Wish we still had a 7a especially one who goes as fast as the one in BD’s pic.
    I liked 12 and 28a and 1d (eventually) and my favourite without any doubt was 8d – another word used by my Dad.
    With thanks to Virgilius and to BD, as RD says, not just for today’s hints but for this brilliant blog – maybe that’s something we all think every day but don’t get round to saying often enough.
    Finally at the risk of being either a pest or stupid, or even both, what’s the difference between ‘page views’ and ‘visitors’?

• Posted June 5, 2016 at 2:45 pm | Permalink | Reply

Page views are the number times that pages have been looked at, visitors are the number of people who have done the looking.

Posted June 5, 2016 at 3:14 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks – now I understand, sort of.

• Physicist
      Posted June 5, 2016 at 3:28 pm | Permalink | Reply

Kath, I can’t believe you hadn’t heard of 28a. Did you mean 23a?

Posted June 5, 2016 at 5:57 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yes – of course I did! Dim combined with writing on top of the clue numbers in the grid is a rather less than good mixture! :roll:

Posted June 5, 2016 at 2:59 pm | Permalink | Reply

Quiet day at work.
    Everybody must be by the sea as the weather is perfect.
    That gave me enough time to finish the monthly prize and this fabulous offering from Virgilius.
    Not telling you which first word I put in 12a. So ashamed.
    Thanks to Mr G and to BD for the blog.

Posted June 5, 2016 at 3:25 pm | Permalink | Reply

Tougher than even the normal Sunday toughness!
    Still need help with 15a, 16d and 27a, all clues that I just can’t parse.
    Any hints would be most appreciated
    Thx to all

Posted June 5, 2016 at 3:39 pm | Permalink | Reply

15a ‘by audience’ indicates that you are looking for a homophone of a negative
      16d def is made dry. red is inferior to or below an anagram (oddly) of white.
      27a cut off + energy

12. Magmull
    Posted June 5, 2016 at 3:44 pm | Permalink | Reply

Wonderful sunshine has cooked my brain. I still can’t get the ‘bizarre coincidence’ Anybody give me a bit more of a hint please without getting into trouble? Would be much appreciated!

Posted June 5, 2016 at 3:46 pm | Permalink | Reply

I can’t keep emailing people as Mr CS wants me back weeding in the garden. Forget about the coincidence and I’ll remind everyone “in due course”

Posted June 5, 2016 at 9:50 pm | Permalink | Reply

Think that you should tell Mr CS to do some weeding himself – why should you do it all?

• Posted June 5, 2016 at 3:47 pm | Permalink | Reply

Please don’t pursue this course otherwise I will have to start deleting comments.

Posted June 5, 2016 at 9:58 pm | Permalink | Reply

Honest guv – it wasn’t us. Blame RD – he started it – spank his legs and send him straight to the naughty corner.

• Rabbit Dave
          Posted June 6, 2016 at 10:18 am | Permalink | Reply

You sneak! I’m glad I wasn’t in your class at school …

Posted June 5, 2016 at 3:51 pm | Permalink | Reply

Wow, another brilliant Sunday offering! The south was harder than north.
    The meaning of 23a was new to me. Loved 28a and 12a, but the whole thing was pretty outstanding. Thought of Kath at 25a.
    Thanks to Virgilius, and to BD for the hints, and the lovely Buddy Holly clips.

14. Gwizz
    Posted June 5, 2016 at 4:28 pm | Permalink | Reply

Not quite so demanding as usual for me. Still a very good crossword and 20d was my favourite. 3/3.5* overall.
    Thanks to Virgilius and to BD for the hints.

15. Paso Doble
    Posted June 5, 2016 at 4:34 pm | Permalink | Reply

We found this really hard and, like Brian, we were stumped by 15a and 16d, so thanks to CS for the help. As usual for a Sunday, a cracking puzzle. Thanks to Virgilius and to BD. ****/****

Posted June 5, 2016 at 5:02 pm | Permalink | Reply

Held up by the SW corner (and half my attention on Murray/Djokovic, which isn’t looking propitious) but this comes out at 2*/4*. My favourite clue could be either of my last two in – 23a or 21d. Many thanks to Virgilius and BD.

17. Vancouverbc
    Posted June 5, 2016 at 5:29 pm | Permalink | Reply

***/****. Not that easy a puzzle for me but perseverance paid off. The bottom half was the final part to go in and 24d and 28a shows how slow I was thinking. Thanks,to the setter and BD for the (unneeded) hints.

Posted June 5, 2016 at 5:50 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks to Virgilius and to Big Dave for the hints. A very enjoyable puzzle from Virgilius as usual. Quite tricky, needed the hints for 21d, I was on the wrong track altogether. Also for 23a, which I’d never heard of. Favourite was 25a. Was 3*/3 *for me. I have no idea what the bizarre coincidence is about, but I’m not asking :-)

19. BusyLizzie
    Posted June 5, 2016 at 8:37 pm | Permalink | Reply

Got there in the end, but not sure if my 18d and 23a are right. Favorites were 12a, 19a and 20a. Back to the packing…

20. HoofItYouDonkey
    Posted June 5, 2016 at 9:37 pm | Permalink | Reply

Beautiful day in London today, managed to weed the raised beds and still have time for the CW.
    Thanks BD (and CS!!) for the hints, I needed a couple.
    Very enjoyable, I am so looking forward to the day when I don’t need a hint or to open the BRB.
    Thanks to the setter.

21. HoofItYouDonkey
    Posted June 5, 2016 at 9:38 pm | Permalink | Reply

Oops, need to subscribe!!

22. Jon_S
    Posted June 5, 2016 at 9:48 pm | Permalink | Reply

A lightning solve in the north that gradually slowed as I moved south, and ground to a complete halt in the SW corner, eventually limping across the finish line far too long later. That said, this was an excellent puzzle, and I could cope with challenges like this every week. :-) Liked 12ac especially.

23. Angel
    Posted June 6, 2016 at 9:35 am | Permalink | Reply

Well weekends are obviously not going to be a ride in the park any more. It took me quite a while to get going on this last night but gradually it came together finishing in the SW. Love the peddling 7a and 12a amused. ***/***.

24. dutch
    Posted June 6, 2016 at 10:15 am | Permalink | Reply

Enjoyable Sunday puzzle as usual. I liked the dining story in 17a. It took me a while to spot the american volume and what’s on top of charts.I also liked 7a (one who delivers), 28a (in court battle) and 8d (single-handedly cutting through..).

many thanks Virgilius and thanks BD

25. Verlaine
    Posted June 6, 2016 at 1:03 pm | Permalink | Reply

An unimpeachable peach of a puzzle which didn’t slow me down at any point, but which contained at least 4 or 5 things that I noted to be very clever.

This setter is also Brendan in the Guardian is that right? I never connected the various identities before but I liked them all lots independently. Good to know my worldview is basically coherent.

• Posted June 6, 2016 at 1:37 pm | Permalink | Reply

You doubt the word of Kitty?

• Verlaine
        Posted June 6, 2016 at 4:30 pm | Permalink | Reply

I trusted you implicitly for a long time, but despite significant financial outlay on my part, it does not appear that I *actually* now own the Brooklyn Bridge…?

• Posted June 6, 2016 at 5:32 pm | Permalink | Reply

I know nothing about that. Perhaps it was that twin sister of mine …

26. Easily confused
    Posted June 6, 2016 at 7:47 pm | Permalink | Reply

Being myopic I know but just can’t figure out 11a even with all the available letters. -clue please

• dutch
      Posted June 6, 2016 at 8:28 pm | Permalink | Reply

anagram of hot-rod before a 2-letter steer (of the bovine variety)

• Easily confused
        Posted June 6, 2016 at 8:51 pm | Permalink | Reply

Duh, so obvious when you know what it is. Had the anagram sorted but could only think of bullock for the steer! Thanks for the clue

27. Hanni
    Posted June 8, 2016 at 12:01 am | Permalink | Reply

Late to the party but I’m not bothered. Now I really get what Virgilius is all about. I liked this. An utterly delicious solve and far too many clues I liked to name a favourite.

Many thanks to Virgilius and to BD for a great blog…and for a bit of Buddy.