Hints and tips by Shropshirelad

BD Rating – Difficulty */**Enjoyment **

Good morning from a beautiful and bright sunny day here in Shropshire. Today’s puzzle will not create a 23a amongst our crossword horses, but it does raise a smile or two. I am not attending today’s soiree down in Old London Town as I was partying last Saturday and I will be partying this Saturday at The Aviva Premiership final at Twickenham. I do hope that the Exeter Chiefs head back down to Sandy Park with some 12a. Go Chiefs.

As usual the definitions are underlined to give the first leg up in solving today’s puzzle and my hints will give you a further leg up. If all else fails, you can reveal the answer by clicking on the grey ‘Click here!’ button.

Please leave a comment telling us what you thought.

1a    Collide with front of stationary three-wheeler (6)
STRIKE: Take the first letter of ‘stationary’ (front of stationary) and add a 5 letter word for a mode of transport that has 3 wheels.

4a    Make possible arrest to intercept the Spanish Ecstasy (6)
ENABLE: A 3 letter word for ‘arrest’ put into (to intercept) a charade of ‘the’ in Spanish and an abbreviation for ‘Ecstacy’ in drug parlance.

8a    American manoeuvres kept secret (2,6)
IN CAMERA: An anagram (manoeuvres) of AMERICAN.

10a    Irritable agent ringing down (6)
SNAPPY: The ‘agent’ here works in the area of espionage and surrounds (ringing) a synonym for a type of ‘down’ found on a billiards table.

11a    Thing I encountered upon retirement (4)
ITEM: Take the ‘I’ from the clue and add (upon) a 3 letter word for ‘ecountered’, reversed (retirement).

12a    Views rare broadcast about opener for Lancashire and what’s in his trophy cabinet? (10)
SILVERWARE: An anagram (broadcast) of VIEWS RARE with the first letter of ‘Lancashire’.

13a    Good spoonerism made up about leader of group, a tattler (6-6)
GOSSIP MONGER: Start with the abbreviation for ‘good’ add an anagram (made up) of SPOONERISM and throw in the leading letter of ‘group’. My heart sank when I first read this clue and saw the dreaded word ‘Spoonerism’. It turns out to be my favourite clue.

16a    Greedy lot from Maine, with breeding (2,10)
ME GENERATION: Start with the abbreviation for ‘Maine’ and add a synonym for ‘breeding’.

20a    Father, for example, holding post back in assembly (10)
PARLIAMENT: Take the generic term for a mother or father, around (holding) what we used to receive through the letterbox, reversed (back). I say ‘used to receive’ as I now only get flyer’s for the local Pizza outlets.

21a    Better English head (4)
CAPE: The ‘better’ here is an adjective, with the abbreviation for ‘English’ added.

22a    Restaurant in street described by writer (6)
BISTRO: Take the abbreviation for ‘street’ and contain it (described) in a type of writing implement (writer) invented by a Hungarian in 1899.

23a    Running out of stock quickly? (8)
STAMPEDE: Read this clue in a form of ‘Yodaism’, then all will become clear. I’ve even added a picture clue for you.

24a    Go after information exposing smart set (6)
GENTRY: The ‘go’ here is ‘go on, *** it’ – and that follows (after) a 3 letter word for ‘information’.

25a    Night flight providing poor-quality whisky (3-3)
RED EYE: Double definition time.

1d    Support coercive measure (8)
SANCTION: There you go, you wait ages for a double definition and then you’re swamped by them.

2d    Field Spanish football team (first half only) (5)
REALM: A famous football club (sorry ladies) who’s name is 10 letters long (split 4,6). You only need the first 5 letters (first half only). What a strange way to stand for a picture, I dread to think what the back are doing.

3d    Lively party in joint associated with drink (5-2)
KNEES UP: The joint here is the one between the femur and the tibia & fibula followed by (associated with) a 3 letter synonym for ‘drink’.

5d    Gathers in information over savings (4,3)
NEST EGG: The information here is the same as we had in 24a. This time it surrounds (in) a 4 letter synonym for ‘gathers’, then the whole thing is reversed (over)

6d    Pop devouring miserable specimen with sausage (9)
BRATWURST: The ‘pop’ here is when a balloon deflates rapidly containing (devouring) a term for ‘a miserable specimen’ and the abbreviation for ‘with’. It’s amazing what images you get when searching for a ‘sausage’.

7d    Large organisation in Ireland bringing in military police (6)
EMPIRE: Another name for ‘Ireland’ surrounding (bringing in) the abbreviation of ‘military police’.

9d    Versatile types, completely game (3-8)
ALL ROUNDERS: A 3 letter synonym for ‘completely’ and a game that Americans call baseball.

14d    Son, little devil, revealed as dunce (9)
SIMPLETON: The abbreviation for ‘son’ and a term for ‘little devil’ is followed by a phrase (split 3,2) for ‘revealed’.

15d    Friend to arrive shortly with army chaplain (8)
COMPADRE: A term for ‘to arrive’ without its last letter (shortly) and what an Army chaplain is called.

17d    Voluptuous beauty of grand old actress (7)
GLAMOUR: The abbreviation for ‘good’ is followed by the surname of an old actress who starred in many ‘Road’ films with Bob Hope & Bing Crosby.

18d    Fierce competition — artist’s impression (3,4)
RAT RACE: The 2 letter abbreviation for ‘artist’ is followed by a word for copying (impression).

19d    Fearless loved one, disheartened (6)
DARING: An endearing term for ‘loved one’ without its middle letter (disheartened).

21d    Manage to protect small thicket (5)
COPSE: The ‘manage’ here describes how you manage with a problem and contains (to protect) the abbreviation for ‘small’.

There you are, another blog in the bag. I do hope that my hints have been of some use to you today. I am now off to do a bit of gardening. My favourite today is 13a – loved it. Which one(s) tickled you? I hope all those attending the ‘do’ today have a great time.

Today’s Quickie pun: CREWS + AWAIT = CRUISERWEIGHT

1. Jose
    Posted May 24, 2016 at 11:08 am | Permalink | Reply

OK and quite enjoyable. First time I’ve seen Spooner mentioned in a clue without it being a typical Spooner clue. 2.0*2.5*

• Jose
      Posted May 24, 2016 at 11:13 am | Permalink | Reply

PS. 6d: That photo – either the sausage is too big or the bread’s too small! I particularly want Kitty to respond, please.

• Posted May 24, 2016 at 11:41 am | Permalink | Reply

Being an obliging soul, I added a P.S. to my comment for you. :)

• Jose
          Posted May 24, 2016 at 11:51 am | Permalink | Reply

Thank you. I always enjoy a slightly saucy comment. :-)

• Posted May 24, 2016 at 1:13 pm | Permalink | Reply

A bit of sauce goes well with a sausage.

• Senf
        Posted May 24, 2016 at 11:43 am | Permalink | Reply

When I was serving Her Majesty and based in Germany, it was not uncommon for the particular sausage resulting from this clue to be served in a bun that, based on its size, was not fit for the purpose. Apparently, something that baffled Teutonic efficiency.

• Harport
          Posted May 24, 2016 at 3:46 pm | Permalink | Reply

Is that where the Senf comes from?

• Senf
            Posted May 24, 2016 at 6:20 pm | Permalink | Reply

Sort of, it’s the German translation of a corrupted version of my surname.

• Bluebell
          Posted May 24, 2016 at 11:47 pm | Permalink | Reply

Quite agree. Many a “bratty” consumed on the way back to barracks after an evening consuming good German beer.

Posted May 24, 2016 at 11:12 am | Permalink | Reply

2*/3*. I quite enjoyed this today. The SE corner was the last to fall. I didn’t help myself initially with 21d by putting “hedge” as my answer on the basis that to hedge means to protect against financial loss. 13a was my favourite.

Does our mystery setter live in the US (or perhaps Spain?)? 16a & 15d are US terms, and 25a involves a double dose of US slang! Both the night flight and the whisky (sic) are US expressions, and so whisky should really have been spelt whiskey! Even the BRB gets this spelling wrong when you look up the answer!

Wouldn’t 23a be more accurate if worded “run out of stock quickly”?

Many thanks to Mr Ron, particularly for providing me with a golden opportunity for pedantry! :wink:

Many thanks too to SL for his review.

• George
      Posted May 24, 2016 at 11:21 am | Permalink | Reply

I have been away form the UK so long that I have sadly become unable to tell US slang these days – but I have no doubt you are right!

I always thought Scotch whisky was spelled without an ‘e’ while Irish and US whiskey were spelled with an ‘e’. Am I wrong?

• Rabbit Dave
        Posted May 24, 2016 at 11:37 am | Permalink | Reply

George, you are right about the spelling. Hence in the clue for 25a, being entirely based on US terminology, it should logically be spelt whiskey.

• Angel
        Posted May 24, 2016 at 6:35 pm | Permalink | Reply

Similarly to George I was for several years a Limey living very happily in NYC but now am with some regret back living on the this side of the Pond. I did however wonder how many of our cruciverbalists would know about 26a which I used regularly between NYC and Boston. Likewise I instinctively know whether it’s whisky or whiskey but naturally prefer the former.

• ShropshireLad
      Posted May 24, 2016 at 12:34 pm | Permalink | Reply

I must admit – I was thinking along the same lines and I was going to put a comment about it in the prologue. However, I had a ‘senior moment’ at the end and forgot.

3. Chris
    Posted May 24, 2016 at 11:17 am | Permalink | Reply

Thought I’d wasted £1.40 after staring blankly at the clues for about five minutes. After eventually picking off one or two clues I quickly got into a rhythm before reaching a successful outcome. I was a bit lazy on 16a though as I ignored the clue and put MY GENERATION with the classic Who song in mind. Many thanks Shropshirelad for setting me straight. ***/**** for me.

• Graham
      Posted May 24, 2016 at 11:39 am | Permalink | Reply

I made the same mistake, my/me, might have been better to have my & a u tube clip of one the best rock bands ever!

• Heno
      Posted May 24, 2016 at 12:30 pm | Permalink | Reply

I put my generation too.

• HoofItYouDonkey
        Posted May 24, 2016 at 1:43 pm | Permalink | Reply

It would have to have been “My G-g-g-generation”.
        Saw the Who do that at Charlton in 1974…never bettered…

• Miffypops
          Posted May 24, 2016 at 2:17 pm | Permalink | Reply

I still have a ticket from that gig. It has little pictures of footballs all over it,

• HoofItYouDonkey
            Posted May 24, 2016 at 2:44 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yes indeed!!!
            Cost £4 from memory!!! Can’t even buy a program for that now!!
            SAHB were great too.

• Bluebird
        Posted May 24, 2016 at 1:44 pm | Permalink | Reply

I only avoided that because I got the ME bit first ( abb:Maine) before getting the synonym for breeding. Otherwise I’m convinced I would have bunged in MY – I mean why wouldn’t you, if you’re our age?

No offence intended for those who aren’t baby boomers……….⌛️

• pommette
      Posted May 24, 2016 at 2:11 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yep – My Generation for us too. Tried to parse it as an anagram but couldn’t manage it at all.
      Never heard of Me Generation though – had to Google it!

• Miffypops
      Posted May 24, 2016 at 2:23 pm | Permalink | Reply

I too put My Generation. I would have left it at that but the dreaded words SOME ANSWERS INCORRECT came up on the iPad. That usually means checking answers until a typo is found. None was so I had to click the Reveal Mistakes button to find out what was wrong. I could not have done that with a newspaper.

• Chris
        Posted May 24, 2016 at 2:47 pm | Permalink | Reply

Big Dave’s Crossword Blog does it for me!

• Margaret
        Posted May 24, 2016 at 9:52 pm | Permalink | Reply

Everything MP said!

• Jane
      Posted May 24, 2016 at 3:40 pm | Permalink | Reply

Me too with ‘my generation’ despite being unable to parse it. Haven’t heard of the term used in the answer before – right generation, wrong country of origin!

• BusyLizzie
      Posted May 24, 2016 at 9:43 pm | Permalink | Reply

And here’s another boomer who put My Generation…

Posted May 24, 2016 at 11:20 am | Permalink | Reply

Thanks to Mr Ron and to Shropshire Lad for the review and hints. I enjoyed this one, was all read & write except for 10a, the “down” definitely fooled me. I also had 23a, wrong, I put scarcity, which was a pun on scare city / stockmarket. Once I realised my mistake, I managed to complete the SE Corner. Last in was 7d. Was 2*/3* for me. Heading off to Borough High Street later. Hope to meet some of you there.

5. George
    Posted May 24, 2016 at 11:23 am | Permalink | Reply

Yes, a fairly easy ride for me today. 1*/3* for a rating.

I have always thought that 8a seems to be a strange expression as it would imply just the opposite.

• cat
      Posted May 24, 2016 at 2:25 pm | Permalink | Reply

I always understood that it means ‘in chamber’, i.e. behind closed doors, but it does sound rather contradictory.

• vincent
        Posted September 25, 2016 at 1:54 am | Permalink | Reply

From the Latin for a chamber.

6. Senf
    Posted May 24, 2016 at 11:33 am | Permalink | Reply

Another example that Tuesday has become the easiest day of the week (for me at least). Although, the first read of this one was similar to Chris’s experience but once I got going in the SE it was over reasonably quickly.

A couple of oldies but goodies – 8a and 17d – and perhaps 17d should also be called a frequent flyer with its number of appearances over the last few weeks.

I thought that 16a and 17d (for the, perhaps, unnecessary first word of the clue) would be criticised, so I am interested to see that Rabbit Dave has commented on 16a.

Favourite 13a, same as SL and Jose, a clue that mentions Spooner that is not a spoonerism was a bit of a surprise but a good anagram with, perhaps, some reservations on the ‘generation’ of the two Gs.

Thanks to Mr Ron and SL – * or **/***

7. Posted May 24, 2016 at 11:40 am | Permalink | Reply

I always appreciate a gentle backpager on a Tuesday, so I am happy today. Thanks to the setter.

23a was my last in and it took a little while to get my Yoda head on, not to mention to hit on the right meaning of stock.

The 17d actress is flavour of the month.

I didn’t know the poor quality whisky. I much prefer a nice drop of, say Highland Park.

Thanks to ShropshireLad for that. Great review. I laughed at your comment for 2d.

P.S. I did think that the 6d pictured looks sad. Nobody wants a droopy sausage.

• Bluebird
      Posted May 24, 2016 at 12:08 pm | Permalink | Reply

I firmly believe that the weirdness of German sausage rolls is so that you can eat each end of the sausage first, unadulterated by bread.

Reminds me of a time when, as poor students, we discovered that the Lowenbrau brewery in Munich gave you a free lunch of wurst and a litre of beer if you looked round. We met two Canadian girls who didn’t drink so had another litre of beer each………cue sleeping on the grass before yet another beer hall visit.

• Jose
      Posted May 24, 2016 at 12:11 pm | Permalink | Reply

Droopy sausage! ‘ere, missus, you can’t say that on here. You saucy devil! I’m all of a doodah now – wait till I tell Everard what you’ve said. Shut that door, will you….

8. Beaver
    Posted May 24, 2016 at 11:41 am | Permalink | Reply

Far too many old chestnuts for me-8a,25a,23d,17d- had this twice recently, one of which was the ‘Dorothy ‘version, sorry can’t go better than a */**,also thought the W in 6d was a bit weak-are there any single letter abbreviations remaining which the setter is unable to ‘bung in ‘?

• ShropshireLad
      Posted May 24, 2016 at 12:45 pm | Permalink | Reply

Hi Beaver – I agree with your thoughts on some abbreviations, But ‘w’ for with, has been around since God was a lad and is shown in the BRB as an accepted abbreviation along w week, weight, wide (cricket), width, wife etc

• Beaver
        Posted May 24, 2016 at 2:06 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks S , I acknowledge that W has been in use for ages, I am making the point that I am against the use of abbreviations generally.

9. Michael
    Posted May 24, 2016 at 11:47 am | Permalink | Reply

I couldn’t see 21a – the rest was ok!

Cheers for that! :good:

10. Bluebird
    Posted May 24, 2016 at 12:03 pm | Permalink | Reply

Straightforward but I’d give it a *** for enjoyment…it was fun.

Liked the spoonerism that wasn’t a spoonerism. Cheeky!
    Loved the surface of the Maine people…
    Particularly liked the first half of the Spansh football team.
    Thanks to SL for the explanation of 14d, which I bunged in but didn’t quite ‘see’ the final bit.

11. paso doble
    Posted May 24, 2016 at 12:06 pm | Permalink | Reply

We managed to polish this off fairly speedily meaning that we will be in good time for Sloggers & Betters gathering. Thanks to Mr Ron for a most enjoyable and satisfying puzzle and to SL for the review. 1.5/3 from us.

12. HoofItYouDonkey
    Posted May 24, 2016 at 12:08 pm | Permalink | Reply

Sailed through yesterday’s 3* puzzle, yet utterly stumped by this 1* puzzle.
    Don’t usually struggle with Mr. Ron’s puzzles.

• fran
      Posted May 24, 2016 at 5:07 pm | Permalink | Reply

Similar : found parts of this more difficult than yesterdays which was fairly easy ! Horses for —

• BusyLizzie
      Posted May 24, 2016 at 9:47 pm | Permalink | Reply

Same here, found yesterday easier than today, which only goes to prove a lot depends if you are on the setter’s wavelength or not.

13. Bluebird
    Posted May 24, 2016 at 12:12 pm | Permalink | Reply

SL, re 21a, I took the first bit to be a verb, as in to “better” a score. I couldn’t see the adjective. I may be wrong, as I often am……..

• ShropshireLad
      Posted May 24, 2016 at 12:31 pm | Permalink | Reply

Hi Bluebird – When I was writing the hint for 21a, I had originally put in ‘verb’. Then I thought – let’s check with the BRB. Sure enough it states:

Better (adj) (serving as compar of ‘good’) good in a greater degree,
      If used as a compar of ‘well’ – it is an adverb.

Therefore, I think that the first definition is probably the one that our Mr Ron was trying to lead us to. :smile:

• Bluebird
        Posted May 24, 2016 at 1:30 pm | Permalink | Reply

Ah yes – I was just using “better” as a synonym for “cap”, as in “can you better his achievement?” Or ” can you cap his achievement?”

• Jane
          Posted May 24, 2016 at 3:46 pm | Permalink | Reply

I got to it in the same way as you, Bluebird. Still works for me!

14. pete
    Posted May 24, 2016 at 12:22 pm | Permalink | Reply

Quite enjoyable, some smiley clues and fairly straight forward. Just realised I got 16a wrong, put my instead of me, cant say ive ever heard the term before. Many thanks to the setter and to Shropshirelad for the hints.

• ShropshireLad
      Posted May 24, 2016 at 12:41 pm | Permalink | Reply

Plagiarised from Wiki (so it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s right) but I think it covers it . Another one for the ‘Americanisms’ today.

The “Me” g********n in the United States is a term referring to the baby boomer generation and the self-involved qualities that some people associated with it.

15. Hanni
    Posted May 24, 2016 at 12:57 pm | Permalink | Reply

Nothing too bad in this. A couple that were bunged in and parsed later.

Not a fan of Spoonerisms but rather like the one in 13a. Very clever.

Nice solve.

Many thanks to Mr Ron and to SL for blogging.

Posted May 24, 2016 at 1:16 pm | Permalink | Reply

I’m not quite sure what I thought of this one – probably between a 1* and 2* difficulty and maybe 3* for enjoyment.
    I was completely thrown by the Spoonerism that wasn’t and I’ve never heard of 16a.
    Never heard of 25a either, or I’ve forgotten it which is probably more likely – spent a little while trying to justify ‘rot gut’ but couldn’t.
    I’m getting a bit fed-up with 17d but that’s not the fault of the setter as he or she probably hasn’t used it as a clue recently.
    Managed 2d without too much trouble so feeling ever so slightly smug.
    I liked 1 and 23a and 1 and 14d. My favourite was 13a.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and to SL.

• Hanni
      Posted May 24, 2016 at 3:57 pm | Permalink | Reply

I think you are allowed to feel smug about 2d Kath. I am having solved it without too much hassle!

• BusyLizzie
        Posted May 24, 2016 at 9:53 pm | Permalink | Reply

I was happy to get 2d quickly too given my almost non existent sports knowledge, but Real Madrid I had actually heard of. Favorites today were 13a, 22a and 18d, but 21a stumped me, and had scarpered for 23a which held me up. Another great puzzle.

17. Ora Meringue
    Posted May 24, 2016 at 1:25 pm | Permalink | Reply

Put in ‘hedge’ for 21d, so could not get 23a…..but doubt if I could have worked it out anyway.
    I’m not good at Yoda, or yoga.

Thanks to ShropshireLad for the hints and to the setter.

18. HoofItYouDonkey
    Posted May 24, 2016 at 1:37 pm | Permalink | Reply

Very poor today, found that much harder than the week-end’s offering, or yesterday. I guess sometimes the brain is just not working.
    I have heard of the answer to 25a, but I don’t know what ‘night flight’ has to do with it, can anyone enlighten me???
    2d very topical with the Champions League final on Saturday, let’s hope that Mr. Clattenburg puts on a better show than last Saturday.
    17d has appeared a few times recently, clued differently every time. Dorothy Lamour is definitely due a rest.
    My favourite clue was 6d.
    Thanks SL for the typically excellent set of hints and to Mr Ron for beating me comprehensively.

• Bluebird
      Posted May 24, 2016 at 1:53 pm | Permalink | Reply

I associate it with taking a night flight ( e.g. Transatlantic) from NY to LHR) and then starting work the next morning, whilst your body is still asleep…….I may be completely wrong……..

Perhaps it’s the me generation taking too many selfies of themselves “Look, I’m on the aeroplane!”

• George
        Posted May 24, 2016 at 2:15 pm | Permalink | Reply

I think the comment is made about cheaper flights that are essentially flying so the plane can be in the right location to allow a morning flight from another city. Because these usually leave between midnight and 2 am or some such hour, the passengers are awake all night and thus get off the plane with dry red eyes!

At least that is what I have always thought.

The term is quite a common one in North America.

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted May 24, 2016 at 2:17 pm | Permalink | Reply

Dorothy Lamour has been at rest for 20 years …

• HoofItYouDonkey
        Posted May 24, 2016 at 2:42 pm | Permalink | Reply

Bet you googled that RD!!!!

• Jane
      Posted May 24, 2016 at 3:51 pm | Permalink | Reply

Remember going to Disney a couple of times when the daughters were younger. On both occasions our flights home left at around 12.30am. They were referred to by everyone as ‘red eye’ flights.

• BusyLizzie
        Posted May 24, 2016 at 9:58 pm | Permalink | Reply

We always have to take a red eye from Miami when coming back across the pond, which we will be doing next month, yay!

19. Cornishpasty
    Posted May 24, 2016 at 1:55 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks for the explanation of 6d. I enjoyed the suasage discussion!

20. Young Salopian
    Posted May 24, 2016 at 2:07 pm | Permalink | Reply

Pretty straightforward fare from Mr Ron with nothing too obscure or difficult. That said, it as a fair work out and nicely diverting on this sunny but breezy afternoon. I thought 6 down was my favourite until I looked at the grid again and decided I preferred 20 across.

Was 2*/3* for me with thanks to the aforementioned and my more northerly fellow Salopian.

21. pommette
    Posted May 24, 2016 at 2:23 pm | Permalink | Reply

Afternoon peeps – I don’t supposed too many people are around as they’ll all be in London drinking some alcofrol.

Read and write for us today – got all but 3 clues on first pass. So 1* for difficultly.
    As to enjoyment – we liked it but too many “chestnuts” so just 2*.

Neither of us have heard of 16a – this was our last in and only got because we had all the checkers.

Thanks Mr Ron for the puzzle and SL for the hints!

22. cat
    Posted May 24, 2016 at 2:32 pm | Permalink | Reply

I thought this was going to be a bit more difficult than it was and particularly liked 13a, very clever, I thought.
    Thanks to setter and SL.

23. Miffypops
    Posted May 24, 2016 at 2:34 pm | Permalink | Reply

A nice holiday puzzle solved watching birds and boats betwixt St Mawes and Falmouth. Sulked for four seconds when I saw the word Spoonerism (everybodies least favourite type of clue) but soon solved the mental anagram. Oh My. I put My instead of Me. Thanks to SL and The Mysteron. Happy Birthday Bob Dylan

• Hanni
      Posted May 24, 2016 at 2:48 pm | Permalink | Reply

Happy 75th…

The ghost of electricity howls in the bones of her face…..

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted May 24, 2016 at 2:49 pm | Permalink | Reply

Just for you, MP…

• Hanni
        Posted May 24, 2016 at 2:50 pm | Permalink | Reply

How come yours has popped up and mine hasn’t?

• Rabbit Dave
          Posted May 24, 2016 at 2:52 pm | Permalink | Reply

Well, it’s not often a young lady asks me that …

• Hanni
            Posted May 24, 2016 at 2:57 pm | Permalink | Reply

Oh blimey…I didn’t even notice what I wrote! :grin:

I make some amazing typos to Jane!

• Jane
              Posted May 24, 2016 at 3:57 pm | Permalink | Reply

Tried really, really hard not to click on the clips, because then I would have had to make my usual comment about how I wish Bob had just stuck to the brilliant song writing and left the singing to those who can. But I did ‘click’ so now you’re stuck with the same old comment……..

PS Hanni – what’s it worth for me not to cite some of the typos?

• Hanni
                Posted May 24, 2016 at 4:05 pm | Permalink | Reply

A lot Jane…a lot! :yes:

However I have no sympathy if you clicked on the clips and didn’t like them.

• Expat Chris
            Posted May 24, 2016 at 10:59 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks for the vid clips RD and Hanni. Free Wheeling was the first LP I ever bought when I was a slip of a girl and I’ve been a devotee ever since.

• Miffypops
      Posted May 24, 2016 at 3:37 pm | Permalink | Reply

Why! Thank you both.

• mre
      Posted May 24, 2016 at 5:00 pm | Permalink | Reply

Good afternoon everybody.

Didn’t see the paper today but have popped in anyway expecting to see an extensive thread devoted to his Bobness.

Happy birthday Bob.

• Miffypops
        Posted May 24, 2016 at 6:46 pm | Permalink | Reply

There are none so blind as those who cannot see.
        There are none so deaf as those who cannot hear

They are to be pitied

• Tstrummer
          Posted May 24, 2016 at 7:45 pm | Permalink | Reply

Unlike us, they have not been touched by the hand of Bob. It is their loss

24. Gwizz
    Posted May 24, 2016 at 2:50 pm | Permalink | Reply

Me oh my, got that wrong didn’t I? Otherwise plain sailing with, as has been pointed out, a few too many old chestnuts on parade. 2/3* overall and 13a probably favourite.
    Thanks to the setter and to SL for the review.

Posted May 24, 2016 at 3:12 pm | Permalink | Reply

Funny, I only had a smattering of answers on first read through, but then everything suddenly fell into place.
    Being in the US, 16a and 25a presented no problems, except I didn’t know the term for poor whisky, but the answer had to be right.
    My fave was 13a, but on first read through, all I could see was that dreaded “spoonerism”.
    Thanks to setter and to ShropshireLad for his most entertaining review.

26. David in Bali
    Posted May 24, 2016 at 3:14 pm | Permalink | Reply

Looked horribly difficult at first glance, but after a few deep breaths it began to make sense. Got stuck at 16d – still not too happy with it. Needed help with 17a and 22d, which makes me feel both young and uncultured .. Perhaps I should have got 16d after all. Thanks to Shropshirelad and the setter.

27. Vancouverbc
    Posted May 24, 2016 at 3:29 pm | Permalink | Reply

****/***. Couldn’t finish without help. For some reason I couldn’t see 15d, 21&23a so thanks for the hints. I too put my instead of me. My favourite was 13a. Thanks to the setter and SL for the review.

28. Dr M
    Posted May 24, 2016 at 3:36 pm | Permalink | Reply

Like others thought this would be tricky at first, but it had a distinct character to it and I quickly got into the rythm and enjoyed completing it.

Posted May 24, 2016 at 4:05 pm | Permalink | Reply

Very straightforward , mostly.I fell into the “my” trap as well. One doesn’t hear that phrase bandied about much, but then most of us definitely don’t belong to it.Cue for north of England hardship stories.
    Thanks to all concerned.

30. Jane
    Posted May 24, 2016 at 4:06 pm | Permalink | Reply

Took a while to get onto Mr. Ron’s wavelength – couldn’t sort out wordplays from definitions at first. Definitely agree with RD that our setter either is American or just took that as a theme.
    No problems once I’d caught his drift apart from not knowing the 16a expression and being unfamiliar with a ‘tattler’. Obvious where it was coming from but I’ve only come across ‘tittle tattle’ before today.

Overall an enjoyable solve with top marks going to 25a plus 2&3d.
    Thanks to the Yankee-doodle Dandy and also to SL. Sorry you’ve had to miss out on London but your commitment to blogging duties was much appreciated.

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted May 24, 2016 at 5:12 pm | Permalink | Reply

Jane, you have to be careful these days of using terms like tittle tattle. I see in the paper today that the PC police have struck again by changing the name of the young heroine in the new film of Swallows and Amazons from Titty, as she is called in the book, to Tatty. The niece of the real Titty, on whom the character was based, is understandably apoplectic. A spokesperson for the film was unable to comment…

• silvanus
        Posted May 24, 2016 at 5:29 pm | Permalink | Reply

I’m glad you are keeping abreast of this development, RD!

Whenever they show The Dambusters on TV these days, the name of Guy Gibson’s dog gives the PC brigade further palpitations. The last time I saw it, the name was bleeped out every time it was mentioned, I wonder what they did with the subtitles?!

Continuing the canine theme, conspiracy theorists are still debating whether the Downton Abbey dog was bumped off to avoid giving potential peak-time publicity to Isis!

• Rabbit Dave
          Posted May 24, 2016 at 5:38 pm | Permalink | Reply

I see what you did there, Silvanus :smile:

• ShropshireLad
          Posted May 24, 2016 at 6:13 pm | Permalink | Reply

I watched the Dam Busters when it was broadcast the other day to see what would happen when Gibson’s dog first appeared. I don’t think the dog’s name was changed in any way. However with the possibility of a remake by Peter Jackson with the screenplay to be written by Stephen Fry – things will change. If it ever takes off, that is :smile:

• HoofItYouDonkey
            Posted May 24, 2016 at 6:44 pm | Permalink | Reply

The late, great Robert Shaw had a small part in The Dambusters, his first. Next time you watch it, see if you can spot him.

• Rabbit Dave
              Posted May 24, 2016 at 7:31 pm | Permalink | Reply

Good grief. Did he play the part of Guy Gibson’s dog?

• silvanus
                Posted May 24, 2016 at 7:48 pm | Permalink | Reply

Well, he certainly didn’t play the lead, boom boom!

• HoofItYouDonkey
                Posted May 24, 2016 at 8:16 pm | Permalink | Reply

He was a hell of an actor, but I think even that role would have been beyond him.

• Jane
      Posted May 24, 2016 at 5:40 pm | Permalink | Reply

Good grief, it just gets worse! These days, when I try to describe someone whose skin is of a different shade to my own, I’m absolutely at a loss for words.

• jean-luc cheval
        Posted May 24, 2016 at 6:25 pm | Permalink | Reply

We have the same problems in France.
        The word “race” is definitely a no no and even comes with a warning in the dictionary.
        When it comes to describe someone’s skin colour it’s the police that have the most difficulty.
        Somebody came up with the idea that we should use the same system as paints. Colour by numbers. I shall check with Dulux to see what number I am.

31. silvanus
    Posted May 24, 2016 at 4:55 pm | Permalink | Reply

I found this fairly straight-forward and like RD (once again!) I thought that it had something of an American flavour (or should that be flavor?), even extending to the anagram in 8a and the actress in 17d. I hadn’t heard of the non-alcoholic part of 25a, so it just required a confirmation.

Enjoyable stuff overall, although the lazy repetition of “information” in 24a and 5d took some of the gloss off for me.

Favourite clues were 13a and 23a.

Many thanks to today’s compiler and SL.

Posted May 24, 2016 at 4:58 pm | Permalink | Reply

Straightforward but fun.
    16a made me smile as I associate the answer with all these Apple users and their I phone, I pad, I tunes, etc etc.
    Much more of a We person myself.
    25a was a new term for me.
    Favourite 13a also.
    Thanks to Mr Ron and to SL for the review.

33. Jon_S
    Posted May 24, 2016 at 7:10 pm | Permalink | Reply

Pleased to finish in about */** time, despite making a complete guess at 25ac, having heard of neither definition. If both are US slang, as suggested above, then my ignorance of both is entirely justified, I feel. :-) Enjoyable puzzle.

34. Tstrummer
    Posted May 24, 2016 at 7:52 pm | Permalink | Reply

Been away for a bit, in and out of hospital, off work and brain dead from morphine painkillers. Think I may be on the mend so tackled this little challenge as the first puzzle for a few weeks. No problems. Thanks to SL for the tips and the setter for a straightforward exercise. Sorry to have missed those who gathered today round the corner from my office. Had I been well enough, I would have loved to have joined you. Next time. 1*/3*

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted May 24, 2016 at 8:09 pm | Permalink | Reply

Good to hear from you again, TS. Here’s hoping you keep on improving steadily.

• ShropshireLad
      Posted May 24, 2016 at 8:11 pm | Permalink | Reply

Nice to see you back blogging Tstrummer – hopefully you are now on the mend and normal service will be resumed. You’ve been missed.

• Jane
      Posted May 24, 2016 at 11:45 pm | Permalink | Reply

Welcome back, TS – so worried about you by today that I asked BD to send you a message. I do hope that you’ve really turned a corner now – you have been missed.

• Hanni
      Posted May 24, 2016 at 11:50 pm | Permalink | Reply

Good to have you back TS. Hope you continue to recover and I echo what others have said..you’ve been missed

35. Florence
    Posted May 24, 2016 at 10:03 pm | Permalink | Reply

Mmm. Solving definitely going backwards at the moment. Wrote ‘Real’ down the side of 2d, then ‘te’ for first half of team. That gave me 6 letters not 5, so I abandoned it. Should have stuck it out. Also scribbled down’padre’ for 15d, but abandoned that as well. At least I remembered the old chestnuts 8a and 12a. I was familiar with the night flight of 25a but not whisky. Thank you Rufus and SL. Hope everyone in London has had a great day.

36. Angel
    Posted May 24, 2016 at 11:29 pm | Permalink | Reply

IMHO nothing to write home about today but pleasant enough. Liked 3d ***/***.

37. Carmen
    Posted May 25, 2016 at 8:37 am | Permalink | Reply

Sorry to be a pedantic nit-picking grammar fiend, SL, but ‘who’s” in your hint for 2d should be “whose”.

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted May 25, 2016 at 9:02 am | Permalink | Reply

• ShropshireLad
      Posted May 25, 2016 at 10:24 am | Permalink | Reply

Hi Carmen, no need to be sorry as your the only one to have identified my deliberate mistake. :whistle: I did think that RD wood have noticed it first.

• Rabbit Dave
        Posted May 25, 2016 at 11:19 am | Permalink | Reply

Well, I have spotted your second and third deliberate mistakes: “you’re” not “your”; and “would” not “wood”!!!

At least you didn’t put “wood of”!

• ShropshireLad
          Posted May 25, 2016 at 11:59 am | Permalink | Reply

Can’t have my number of comments left on ‘Nelson’, Mr Shepherd would be ‘hopping’ in his grave.

I nearly went for ‘wood of’ but I restrained myself. :yes: