Hints and tips by Miffypops

BD Rating – Difficulty ***Enjoyment ***

Today we have a typical Rufus puzzle. Elegant and fair clues with lovely surface readings. The old 18 downs amongst us should see this off quickly and the newer solvers should be able to get their teeth into it and gain in confidence.

Below are my hints and tips to DT cryptic puzzle No 28,091 which will hopefully help you to solve the clues that you are finding difficult. Try the hint first and if you are still in the dark, click on the greyed out box that says click here and the answer will be revealed.

Please leave a comment telling us what you thought.

1a    End of schooldays in America (8)
TERMINUS: The end of a railway or other transport route can be found by placing a word for one of the periods of a school year, IN from the clue and the initial letters of U(nited) S(tates)

6a    Physical exercises I put off when on board (3-3)
SIT UPS: Anagram (off) of I PUT placed inside the two letters S and S (on board) which stand for Steamship and which perhaps should appear in BDs list of usual suspects.

9a    Examine success right away (6)
WINNOW: Split 3,3, we need two words one meaning to succeed by beating any opposition and one meaning right away or at this very moment. This word may prompt a few visits to the BRB and the books mentioned at 26 across but it is perfectly fair.

10a    Discuss business in express store (4,4)
TALK SHOP: To express verbally and a word meaning retail outlet

11a    A leading light in the motorist’s world (8)
HEADLAMP: An all in one definition of what lights the way for a motorist at night.

12a    Mother and child in a jam? (6)
DAMSON: The female parent of an animal is followed by what a boy is in relation to his parents. The resulting fruit is often used to make jam although I use it in the same way as sloes to make gin.

13a    Being opposed to the building of seats for spectators? (6,1,5)
MAKING A STAND: A clever cryptic description which works for both definitions in the clue. The second describes the construction of the main covered seated area at a sports ground or racecourse

16a    What one is encouraged to do on a psychiatrist’s couch (4,2,6)
TALK AT LENGTH: To chatter away whilst lying down.

19a    Inventor having no team for back-up? (6)
EDISON: No, from the clue is followed by a word meaning a sports team and the whole lot is reversed (for back up) to find the surname of Thomas Alva.

21a    Modernise old pub at first — tea breaks after five (8)
INNOVATE: Place another word for a pub before O(ld). Now add the Roman Numeral for number five and add an anagram (breaks) of TEA.

23a    Poison counter (8)
ANTIDOTE: This counter is a medicine taken or given to counteract a particular poison.

24a    Looking blue, I’d go in for treatment (6)
INDIGO: Anagram (for treatment) of I’D GO IN

25a    Unwilling to be clad in Anglican dress (6)
CLOTHE: Place an adjective meaning reluctant or unwilling inside (clad) the C(hurch) of E(ngland) as indicated by the word Anglican and which does appear in Big Dave’s list of usual suspects.

26a    Hear suit about writers’ needs when lacking an alternative (8)
THESAURI: Anagram (about) of HEAR SUIT. My last one in which held me up as I tried to make it end with the letter Y because a trial is a hearing therefore to hear is to try.

2d    It is found in rediscovered deed and revised (6)
EDITED: Place the word IT inside an anagram (rediscovered) of the word DEED

3d    Unearthed strong fabric to be taken up (5)
MINED: A word which means to have been dug from the earth is also a strong fabric used for making jeans when reversed (taken up)

4d    It’s a card game, of course (9)
NEWMARKET: This card game is also the name of a racecourse in Suffolk. It is also the name of a close fitting overcoat used when riding.

5d    Determined to attack (3,4)
SET UPON: A double definition

6d    Firm one’s engaged by was traded (5)
SOLID: Place the letter that looks like the number one inside the past participle of sell (was traded)

7d    Try out striker in international game (4,5)
TEST MATCH: To try something out to establish its reliability followed by a striker that when lit could be used to start a fire will give a term used for internationals in Cricket or Rugby of which there are far too many.

8d    With great insight, golf club has filled coaching vacancy (8)
PROFOUND: A word meaning deep and meaningful needs to be split 3, 5 to suit the golfing reference in the clue.

13d    Improvised fashion garment (9)
MAKESHIFT: To fashion or create followed by a long, loose-fitting undergarment.

14d    Unexpectedly entering with a South American (9)
ARGENTINE: Anagram (unexpectedly) of ENTERING follows the A from the clue. It could precede it or include it as the word with is not specific.

15d    Laird can set out to be chief (8)
CARDINAL: Anagram (set out) of LAIRD CAN

17d    Hole in ten unusually high (7)
EMINENT: Take the hole referred to at the answer to three down and place it inside an anagram (unusually) of TEN

18d    An old one will be experienced — in the theatre? (6)
STAGER: A cryptic definition of one who has trod the boards for a very long time.

20d    Loop-line soon turns east (5)
NOOSE: Reverse (turns) the word SOON and add the letter E from E(ast).

22d    It’s still produced in Russia (5)
VODKA: This Russian still makes spirits from Rye, Wheat or Potatos

I found this a pleasant way to start a chilly Monday Morning. Now I have nothing to do and all day long to do it.

1. Graham
    Posted April 18, 2016 at 11:13 am | Permalink

I feel such a numpty having put talk it through for 16A which messed up the a number of answers. Agree with the ratings & many thanks to the setter & my hero Miffypops for sorting me out.

• Miffypops
      Posted April 18, 2016 at 11:14 am | Permalink

My hero, hang on a minute, ave a word.

• Rod
        Posted April 18, 2016 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

How did you fit 13 letters into the grid?

• Graham
          Posted April 18, 2016 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

Dyslexia rules ko!

2. dutch
    Posted April 18, 2016 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Rufus in a slightly devious mood, I thought – took me a while to find the right golf club (8d) and that was my last in. Also took me a while to twig the “fully extended” meaning of 16a. 23a is another Rufus CD disguised as a double definition – always catches me out. First reaction to 26a was I didn’t think writers would need more than one, but they probably do! I had forgotten the word in 9a (examine success right away) and had to check it in the brb, exactly as Miffpops predicted.

I most liked 22d (it’s still produced in russia) and 16a (the psychiatrist’s couch). Many thanks Rufus and Miffypops

Posted April 18, 2016 at 11:19 am | Permalink

As MP says: “Today we have a typical Rufus puzzle. Elegant and fair clues with lovely surface readings.” And, as MP also points out, 9a required a visit to the BRB.

Many thanks to Rufus and to MP.

4. pete
    Posted April 18, 2016 at 11:42 am | Permalink

A good start to the week. I always enjoy the puzzles set by Rufus. Last ones in were 8d and 26a and learnt a new word in 9a. Many thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops.

Posted April 18, 2016 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Found today’s Rufus quite gentle with fewer cryptic all in ones than usual.
    Wish I could Profind at the restaurant. Having real trouble making my team work properly this year.
    Favourite is 25a.
    Thanks to Rufus and to MP for the review and the little poem on the monthly prize.

6. Rod
    Posted April 18, 2016 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable. Just one quibble, 12a is not a jam. Sorry, being pedantic but it held me up for a while. Thanks to all

• Michael Kingston
      Posted April 18, 2016 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

I can remember going to my grandparents many years ago and they always used to use the answer on its own as if it was a jam. Maybe that is an Essex thing though!!

Posted April 18, 2016 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

• Michael Kingston
          Posted April 19, 2016 at 7:20 am | Permalink

Thank you. I was on here before but can’t remember my log in details!

• Angel
      Posted April 18, 2016 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

Exactly – I even looked for another word as in traffic-jam, etc.! However question mark perhaps justifies the answer.

• Chris
      Posted April 18, 2016 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

That’s the same as saying a Mercedes is not a car!

• dutch
        Posted April 18, 2016 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

perhaps the same as saying a Mercedes is a piece of junk – a Mercedes can be made into a piece of junk, like Damson can be made into a jam, but left to its own devices, Damson is a fruit.

But I can see that others would argue that damson, like strawberry or quince, is a kind of jam

• pommers
          Posted April 18, 2016 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

Exactly. Damson is a type of jam and should be clued a s such. On it’s own it’s a fruit, or possibly a tree, but this is Rufus so a bit of looseness is to be expected. Can’t remember exactly when it was but he’s the guy that put a secondary anagram into a puzzle and got away with it – about five years ago I’d guess..

• Miffypops
            Posted April 18, 2016 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

I planted three Damson trees two apple trees one plum tree and a pear tree last wee. Also six dog roses and several Hazel whips went into a hedge.

• Graham
              Posted April 18, 2016 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

Multi tasking peeing & planting trees now that’s impressive!

• pommers
                Posted April 18, 2016 at 11:04 pm | Permalink

Perhaps the trees needed watering :lol:

• Miffypops
                  Posted April 18, 2016 at 11:24 pm | Permalink

Torrential rain saved me that job. I had laid quite a bit of turf too and repaired and seeded quite a bit of the sward pommers. I pinged in an OU assignment too.

• Hanni
            Posted April 18, 2016 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

I don’t know whether to be really impressed or really worried that you remember that Pommers. I can’t remember what I had for breakfast. Tea I think.

• pommers
              Posted April 18, 2016 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

A secondary anagram is the big no-no of crosswordland and the one from Rufus is the only one I’ve ever seen in the DT.

• Hanni
                Posted April 18, 2016 at 10:24 pm | Permalink

It certainly is. Can’t recall ever seeing one.

• pommers
                  Posted April 18, 2016 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

That’s why I do remember the one I have seen. Seem to remember that it was so obvious as to be forgivable but – thin end of the wedge and all that.

• Hanni
                    Posted April 18, 2016 at 11:33 pm | Permalink

As the worlds most prolific setter I think it’s forgivable.

7. crowlegs
    Posted April 18, 2016 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Mostly fairly straightforward today and speaking as a regular golfer 8d went in fairly easily. Not so 25a which I got but at first though clunky, then realised it was quite clever. Had to check 9a too but overall very enjoyable. Thanks to all.

8. Jane
    Posted April 18, 2016 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Took a while to get into this one but, once started, it fell into place quite well.
    9a did indeed require a visit to the BRB and 26a was the last to fall.
    Top two for me were 16a&8d.

Thanks to Rufus and to MP for the review.

9. Hrothgar
    Posted April 18, 2016 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

Top half, more or less straight in.
    Then shuddered to a halt.
    Cranked and cranked and cranked and completed eventually.
    23a and 25a just two of a number of brilliant clues.
    Many thanks Rufus and Miffypops for the review, agree difficulty rating of ***.

10. happy days
    Posted April 18, 2016 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

I think the question mark in 12a covers the fact that it’s not necessarily a jam., Rod. Lovely surface readings and short, pithy clues, as always

• Chris
      Posted April 20, 2016 at 10:30 am | Permalink

Good call re ? happy days!

11. Vince
    Posted April 18, 2016 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

Miffypops, as you identified me, last Friday, as your proof reader (???), I feel duty-bound to point out that the anagram indicator in 2d is “rediscovered”, – as “revised”is the definition.

• Miffypops
      Posted April 18, 2016 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Guilty as charged.

• Miffypops
        Posted April 18, 2016 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Now changed. Thank you

• Hanni
          Posted April 18, 2016 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Loving this weeks avatar MP.

12. Beaver
    Posted April 18, 2016 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

About right for a Monday and a **/***for me, think I’ve come across 9d before, but not seen it in print for ages,26 seemed a little out of place somehow, glad I had the checking letters otherwise I think I would have struggled .Thanks to Rufus and Miffypops.

13. Nev
    Posted April 18, 2016 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

Haven’t tried a Telegraph cryptic puzzle for a while. Agreed with the ratings on this one. Thanks to Miffypops and Rufus.

Posted April 18, 2016 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable and o
    For me only a 2* for difficulty but a 4* for enjoyment.
    My last in was 17d because I couldn’t find the hole then the penny dropped, spent a while trying to make an anagram of HOLE IN X!
    Obviously on the setters wavelength which makes a change after last week when I really struggled.
    Thx to all.

• Brian
      Posted April 18, 2016 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

Interestingly the electronic paid version of the BRB gives 9 definitions for WINNOW but not one mentions or implies Examine. Thought I would just through that one in 😀

• silvanus
        Posted April 18, 2016 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Initially I had issues with this definition too, but it does pass muster (just). The Chambers Crossword Dictionary provides over seventy synonyms for “examine”, but “winnow” isn’t one of them, nor vice versa. “Sift” is shown as a synonym in numerous dictionaries though, and I think “sift” and “examine” are close enough.

• fran
        Posted April 18, 2016 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

I certainly couldn’t find winnow in chambers or in any of my dictionaries , although the clue did make sense it was with reluctance my last one in ; the rest of the puzzle was straightforward

• andy
        Posted April 18, 2016 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

That was my last one in too.

• Rabbit Dave
        Posted April 18, 2016 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

For what it’s worth, I found the definition at http://www.thefreedictionary.com/winnow:

1. To separate the chaff from (grain) by means of a current of air.

2. To blow (chaff) off or away.

3. To examine closely in order to separate the good from the bad; sift: The judges winnowed a thousand essays down to six finalists.

4a. To separate or get rid of (an undesirable part); eliminate: winnowing out the errors in logic.

4b. To sort or select (a desirable part); extract: The investigators winnowed the facts from the testimony.

5. To blow on; fan

15. bifield
    Posted April 18, 2016 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

A bit harder than normal for a Monday but very fair. A pleasant start to a cold and blustery morning. Thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops for his inimitable review.

16. Angel
    Posted April 18, 2016 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

Nice puzzle. Thanks Rufus and MP. East outran West. Caused myself problems by trying review for 9a but suppose correct answer does mean examine although it’s new one on me. Fav probably 26a with 8d and 22d as runners-up. As one of MP’s old 18ds found this **/****.

17. Angela K-M
    Posted April 18, 2016 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Excellent crossword today – started and finished it over lunch :) Usually we start at breakfast and finish at lunch but today was Herculis Day !

Posted April 18, 2016 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

I agree with 3* for both difficulty and enjoyment.
    Everyone else seems happy with 9a – it’s not what I thought it meant and neither is this meaning in my BRB – oh well, whatever – it had to be right.
    25 and 26a were my last answers and I was pretty slow to get 8d.
    I liked 13 and 16a and 4 and 13d. My favourite was 22d even though I hate the stuff – tastes like nail varnish remover, not that I’ve ever tasted that.
    With thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops.
    Stuff to do – Rookie later.

19. silvanus
    Posted April 18, 2016 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

As our esteemed hinty person rightly says, this as about as typical a Rufus Monday puzzle as it gets, all the trademarks present and nothing too tricky.

I liked 22d a lot, but my favourite vote goes to 8d for its cleverness.

Many thanks to Mr. Squires and to Miffypops.

20. Bluebirds
    Posted April 18, 2016 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

Was I the only one foxed by making a stand rather than taking a stand?

Plus what on earth sort of a card game is Newmarket?

• Miffypops
      Posted April 18, 2016 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Of course you are not. I too made a stand but quickly took it. Renovate/Innovate too.

• Jane
      Posted April 18, 2016 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Hi Bluebirds,
      Can’t remember a great deal about Newmarket other than that it was my grandparents favourite card game and we used to play for hours on end at their house. I seem to recollect that matches were used in place of money!

• andy
        Posted April 18, 2016 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Mine had a cupful of halfpence pieces.!

• dutch
      Posted April 18, 2016 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

yep, thought that too and waited for the checker – but I should have worked it out cos only making fits with “building”

• HoofItYouDonkey
      Posted April 19, 2016 at 6:04 am | Permalink

Used to play it a lot as a kid, deal the whole pack to the number of players + a dummy hand. Betting game.

21. AnntheArt
    Posted April 18, 2016 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Glory be! Can’t believe I am commenting so early and that I finished this without hints…ok confession time, I couldn’t help seeing the hint for 1a as I had a quick look to see what the rating was by the hintsperson. But actually that set me off and I was away.
    Intrigued why Miffypops has rated this three star when his words claim, quite rightly in my view, that this one is a nice easy workout for us rookies. Really enjoyed it anyway.
    Liked 1a, 8d, 24a, 16a…we’ll all of them really!

Thank you to the setter and to Miffypops.

• Miffypops
      Posted April 18, 2016 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Miffpops never alters the ratings so every week the review is sent to Big Dave with ***/*** Big Dave alters it if he remembers. Big Dave was busy today so I sent it to Gazza to publish. The only rating that matters is your own personal one. I am pleased you finished without hints. Its a good feeling. Well done.

• AnntheArt
        Posted April 18, 2016 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

Oh thanks for that Miffypops. Right, I see, you live and learn. I know I shouldn’t care about ratings, but it does feel good when you know that something wasn’t a total pushover. Hints or not, and believe me I would be lost without them, I’m still loving the blog!

22. Hanni
    Posted April 18, 2016 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

A gentle start to the week that I enjoyed very much.

For whatever reason 9a didn’t cause problems but cannot remember where I have seen it before? And I’ve tried to remember. Also think 26a is lovely word.

Figuring out 8d caused a few problems but got there.

Many thanks to Rufus for a lovely puzzle and to Miffypops, a man with Damson trees. Nice blog.

Sunshine today and I’ve ridden out. And very nice that was too.

Sent from the North York Moors, tornado free for 3220 glorious days.

Posted April 18, 2016 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

I agree with 3* as 26a held me the most and 25a was a long time in coming too.4d is a new one to me.
    26 a is my favourite , after 13a.
    Thanks Miffypops and Rufus.

24. Derek
    Posted April 18, 2016 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Hi Folks!

Still doing the cryptic daily but rarely blogging!
    My son is temporarily chez moi from Massachusetts while my daughter & Co. are visiting GB!

Weather in NL is now springlike after a cold winter.
    I found examine rather odd in 9 across!
    Best regards,

• Gazza
      Posted April 18, 2016 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

It’s good to hear from you, Derek.

25. Jaylegs
    Posted April 18, 2016 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

What a lovely crossword 😄 My nomination for crossword of the month */***** every clue was spot on. So many favourites but perhaps 16a & 21a deserve a mention 👍
    A big thank you to Rufus and to MP for warming a cold Monday 😍 I suppose that I have gone a little over the top but ” scripsi scripsi” as someone once said 😁
    Once again answers all nicely covered up Hoorah!

26. Irene
    Posted April 18, 2016 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

Lovely to hear Elvis Costello, but why’s he there?

• Hanni
      Posted April 18, 2016 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Don’t start me talking…I could talk all night…

• Irene
        Posted April 18, 2016 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

But he’s not talking to a psychiatrist, or is he?

• Miffypops
      Posted April 18, 2016 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

It is a very tenuous link Irene.

27. Vancouverbc
    Posted April 18, 2016 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

***/***. Nicely testing I thought but enjoyable nonetheless. Thanks to the setter and MP for the review. Weather is going to be unseasonably warm so shorts on for the next 6 months I guess.

28. Young Salopian
    Posted April 18, 2016 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

8 down my favourite from amongst many elegant and witty clues. Rufus is on top form today, and this was a hugely enjoyable tussle. 2*/4* seems about right, with thanks to the aforementioned and MP for his usual sparkling review.

29. Howitzerx3
    Posted April 18, 2016 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

Thought this was going to be one of the easier Monday puzzles, then got stuck on a couple. Does anybody still play 4d these days? Needed to use H&T for one clue, but otherwise I thought it was a great start to the week gentle in some parts, tricky in others.

Lots of clues I liked but 1a is my favourite

Used H&T for 9a not a word that I use a lot??

Rating 3 / 4.5

Thanks to MPOPS (got stuck on 26a like you but thought it was an anagram and eventually got it)
    A big thanks to the setter as well

30. HoofItYouDonkey
    Posted April 18, 2016 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

Right, off we go…

31. Posted April 18, 2016 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

Well, I struggled somewhat today, but that just might be largely down to having enjoyed myself too much yesterday. No 22d, just a rather wonderful selection of whiskies.

I never did see 9a and am not happy with the definition. Some 9a-ing is needed here, perhaps. Or maybe I’d be happier with it if I’d got it!

Speaking of things that are needed, 23a almost raised a smile.

The old anagram blindness reared its head again in 26a.

I was also held up by not being able to think of 4d. I’m sure I have heard of the game, but it didn’t want to be extracted from my head. Oh well.

Many thanks to Rufus and Miffypops. Extra thanks for explaining 8d.

32. neveracrossword
    Posted April 18, 2016 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

17d is curiously similar to 24a in today’s Times cryptic (“Conspicuous net deployed around hole in ground(7)” ).

33. Jon_S
    Posted April 18, 2016 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

The combination of 17/26/18 took almost as much time for me as the rest put together. 26ac especially so. No complaints though, beyond my own dimness. Rufus on good form I thought.

34. jan
    Posted April 18, 2016 at 9:15 pm | Permalink

Love this blog, and Mondays have become my favourite – thank you Mr Rufus and Mr MP (what a team). 17d took an age, so thank you again Mr MP, and I really chuckled at your 16a clip.

35. HoofItYouDonkey
    Posted April 18, 2016 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

Lovely crossword today, fell about 4 short, when I needed MP’s excellent hints, many thanks.
    Had the first word of 13a as ‘Taking’ which knackered me a bit.
    I thought 16a was bit weak.
    Enjoyed 1a, 23a. Favourite, being a golfer was 8d.
    Thanks again to MP and also to the setter…

36. Framboise
    Posted April 18, 2016 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

Thank you Mr Rufus for a lovely start of the week! Learnt a new word – winnow for 9a as well as had a few “ah! Listen to this” me talking to Mr Framboise busy with his sudoku but with always with an ear in case I need some help with a cricket clue! 23a was brilliant as was 6a but 8d gets my vote for favourite. Remember playing 4d in Sharjah with pistachio nut shells as counters!!! 2*/4* and many thanks to Miffypops for the review.

Posted April 18, 2016 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

The NE corner nudged me into 2* time (8d – my favourite clue – was also my last in), but satisfaction merits 3.5*. Ta to Rufus for a pleasant start to the puzzling week, and to MP for the review.

38. Florence
    Posted April 18, 2016 at 10:52 pm | Permalink

Would have been fine if I hadn’t put the name of the country into 14d instead of the person, so couldn’t get 26a. Rather sloppy of me. I made hard work of this today. Thank you Rufus and Miffypops.

• Miffypops
      Posted April 18, 2016 at 11:30 pm | Permalink

You should always write the letters out when solving anagrams then there would be no mistake Florence. Don’t be like me and solve them mentally. That would never do.

• Hanni
        Posted April 18, 2016 at 11:32 pm | Permalink

Once again there are no words MP….Unbelievable.

I accidentally almost bashed my head against the keyboard when I read that.

Florence, how did the concert go? :-)

• Miffypops
          Posted April 18, 2016 at 11:42 pm | Permalink

How can one accidentally almost do something? I almost accidentally bought a book of classical piano music on Thursday. Which translates into I actually bought a book of classical piano music on Thursday. On Friday I will try Zerlina’s Aria Batti, batti, o bel Masetto from Don Giovanni.

• Hanni
            Posted April 18, 2016 at 11:59 pm | Permalink

In front of me on the coffee table is my laptop. I read your comment…started to say “Oh for …..sake” as my head slumped rapidly towards the keyboard, Being quite small there wasn’t far for it to go so I stopped myself before it actually hit it. See accidentally.

Just so long as you don’t try and sing it. ;-)

Hope it inspires you to solve Don’s puzzle.

• Florence
        Posted April 19, 2016 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Thanks Miffypops. Wise words.

39. Jane
    Posted April 19, 2016 at 12:26 am | Permalink

Hi TS, if you get chance to pop in later. How’s the shoulder feeling now? Trying to decide whether it was delayed reaction to the husky driving, an altercation with one of your delightful late-night train travelling companions, cold from hanging around waiting for delayed trains or too much messing about in boats. On the other hand, perhaps Jan was trying to twist your arm over something………!

• Tstrummer
      Posted April 19, 2016 at 2:07 am | Permalink

HiJane. Spent last Friday at the hospital having interminable tests, results to come. Both shoulders in a terrible state. Even getting dressed is a struggle. The unexplained cause can be none of those you mention as they were bad before Canada. It’s just that now they’re getting worse by the day. Thank you so much for asking. I’ll keep you posted.

40. Tstrummer
    Posted April 19, 2016 at 2:10 am | Permalink

I found this a tad more taxing than usual from Rufus, but oerhaps that’s because I’m on industrial strength painkillers, which have turned my brain to sushi. wasnt keen on 16a or 26a, but I liked 13a. 8d wins the Green Jacket. Ta to MP and Rufua. 2*/3*

41. Ros
    Posted April 19, 2016 at 10:53 am | Permalink

Recently the answers are shown and not greyed out. Is this a problem with the site or my phone please? Incidentally, love the site – nice to have a pal to do the crossie with!

42. Gwizz
    Posted April 19, 2016 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

Nice Monday type crossword, even when done on a Tuesday. 8d was out and out favourite and overall 3/3*.
    Thanks to Rufus and to the man from LI.