Hints and tips by Miffypops

BD Rating – Difficulty */**Enjoyment ****

I tried to pass today blogging chair off to anybody else but I feel that most of the reviewing team are lying in darkened rooms under heavy sedation after last week’s puzzling fun and games. Thanks to them (you know who you are) for their sterling efforts

Todays puzzle fell quite easily with only 18 across and 14 and 17 down providing any resistance. With reference to 17d if anybody out there wants to take on a poorly schooled but house trained orphan boy then Saint Sharon is willing to make me available.

Below are my hints and tips to DT cryptic puzzle No 28,085 which will hopefully help you to solve the clues that you are finding difficult. Try the hint first and if you are still in the dark click on the greyed out box that says click here and the answer will be revealed.

Please leave a comment telling us what you thought.

1a    Drink for prison officer’s chauffeur? (11)
SCREWDRIVER: This cocktail made from Vodka and Orange Juice is made from an informal term for a prison officer and an example of what one’s chauffeur actually is.

9a    Limit studies with tutor (9)
CONSTRAIN: Our usual suspect for studies is followed by a verb meaning to tutor or educate somebody.

10a    Girl admired by servicemen, though stuck-up (3-2)
PIN-UP: A cryptic definition of a poster featuring a famous or attractive person usually in an alluring pose

11a    A rule the British had (6)
EMPIRE : An extensive group of states or countries ruled over by a single monarch, an oligarchy, or a sovereign state. The British Empire was the bit coloured pink on our old school maps.

12a    Young animals always restricted by permits (8)
LEVERETS: Place a four letter word meaning always inside another four letter word meaning permits or allows to find these young hares. There are plenty around here despite the intentions of many buzzards

13a    Humble cleric covering Middle East (6)
DEMEAN: Place the head of a cathedral around the abbreviation of M(iddle) E(ast)

15a    Current measure in beer and scotch (5,3)
STAMP OUT: Place the abbreviation for a unit of electric current equal to a flow of one coulomb per second inside a kind of strong, dark beer brewed with roasted malt or barley.

18a    Wind up  judge finally (8)
CONCLUDE: I will opt for a very clever double definition here. A comma after the second word of the clue might help. The first definition means to bring to an end. Not to take the mickey or do thinks to clocks or watches.

19a    Batting with school cricket, for example (6)
INSECT: Take the two letter word used to describe the team at the wicket during a cricket match. Add a term meaning a school or a group of people with somewhat different religious beliefs (typically regarded as heretical) from those of a larger group to which they belong.

21a    Spoil the mould dishing up pies and mash (8)
MISSHAPE: Anagram (dishing up) of PIES and MASH

23a    A game  on which the captain rules (6)
BRIDGE: A card game played by sociable people who do not speak to one another during play and the position on a ship where the captain might stand

26a    More advanced as a teacher? (5)
AHEAD: A from the clue and the principle teacher in a school.

27a    Unemployed crew which have mischievous potential (4,5)
IDLE HANDS: Take a word meaning lazy, indolent or slothful and add a second word meaning a person who engages in manual labour, especially in a factory, on a farm, or on board a ship to find these people for whom The Devil may find work

28a    It helps strikers to see the delivery men (5-6)
SIGHT SCREEN: These strikers are the batsmen on the cricket field at 19 across. These are the white and placed near the boundary to help said batsman see the ball.

1d    To get ahead, take another person’s place (7)
SUCCEED: A double definition.

2d    Raise the standard in course at university (3,2)
RUN UP: A phrasal verb meaning to raise a flag on a flagpole. The word COURSE works the same as the blood coursing through your veins and is followed by a two-letter word meaning at university.

3d    Sudden drop of current — flaw later rectified (9)
WATERFALL: Anagram (rectified) of FLOW LATER. There is an opportunity to illustrate this with a clip of TLC singing their hideous song of the same name. Unlikely methinks.

4d    New pear crop (4)
REAP: Anagram (new) of PEAR

5d    Deadly feud conducted with relative bitterness? (8)
VENDETTA: A cryptic definition of a blood feud in which the family of a murdered person seeks vengeance on the murderer or the murderer’s family.

6d    Money for old record that’s turned up in French street (5)
RUPEE: Place the reversed (turned up) abbreviation for an old fashioned extended play record inside the French word for a street to find an Indian coin.

7d    Down payment I posted off (7)
DEPOSIT: Anagram (off) of I POSTED

8d    It runs up a volcano with long stride (8)
ANTELOPE: This swift running deer like ruminant can be found by reversing (up) Sicily’s volcano and adding a noun meaning a long bounding stride.

14d    Tend to have little rest for recreation (8)
MINISTER: A word meaning little or small (skirts or cars) and an anagram (for recreation) of REST will give this verb meaning to attend to the needs of.

16d    Roman building with style of kings (9)
MONARCHIC: An anagram (building) of ROMAN is followed by a word meaning style or fashionable.

17d    Providing a home for a small charge (8)
ADOPTING: An cryptic definition that describes legally taking on a another person’s child and raising it as one’s own

18d    Firm  agreement (7)
COMPACT: Double Definition.

20d    Turncoat’s first motive for crime (7)
TREASON: The initial letter of T(urncoat) followed by a word meaning motive will give up this crime of betraying one’s country, especially by attempting to kill or overthrow the sovereign or government.

22d    Cover point keeps a low profile (5)
HIDES: To cover as in to secrete something followed by one of the compass points

24d    Ball — it could be a square one (5)
DANCE: A double definition. The second being performed by four couples facing one another in a square, with the steps and movements shouted out by a caller.

25d    Ground for conspiracy (4)
PLOT: ground as in an allotment for example and a conspiracy such as the gunpowder one.

An enjoyable solve today blogged to the soothing sounds of the late Ronnie Lane.

The Quick Crossword pun: fizz+seek=physique

1. Domus
    Posted April 11, 2016 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

21a An obvious anagram of “emphasis” held me up for ages

2. Omar
    Posted April 11, 2016 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Fun but pretty straightforward…..14d was my favourite…..*/**

3. dutch
    Posted April 11, 2016 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

good fun from Rufus on a monday morning, though the bottom half was a little trickier. I had to look up the answer to 28a to realise it was a cricket clue. And I wanted to put in COMPANY for 18d.

Many thanks Miffypops and Rufus

• Chris
      Posted April 11, 2016 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

I DID put COMPANY in for 18d – D’oh!

• Ora Meringue
        Posted April 11, 2016 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

Me too.

• Kitty
          Posted April 11, 2016 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

You are in good COMPANY…

• Jaylegs
          Posted April 11, 2016 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

Found this a nice gentle start to the week 😊 £**/*** Thanks to MP & Rufus. Liked 27 & 28a 😉 As with the majority the SW corner held my attention the longest 😁

Posted April 11, 2016 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Just love Miss January MP.
    Laughing so much, I can’t remember what I was going to say about the crossword except that the SW corner took a while to get into.
    Thanks to Rufus and to MP.

• Framboise
      Posted April 11, 2016 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

What a hoot – Miss January that is! I too found the SW corner tricky…

5. Bluebird
    Posted April 11, 2016 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Oh dearie me….putting rape instead of reap and insisting that 16d had to be neogothic for no good reason put everything awry.
    I really should have got the captain clue at least, but there we are.

A little too much cricket for some solvers, maybe?

Thanks anyway to setter and to MP for clues.

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted April 11, 2016 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

IMHO there is no such thing as too much cricket. I’m very happy now that the English cricket season is starting again. Cue bad weather …

• Bluebird
        Posted April 11, 2016 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

I can more or less cope with the cricket having spent a lot of my childhood watching my father play (apart from the time spent playing myself behind the 28a’s), which mostly was NOT cricket.

Posted April 11, 2016 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

1*/4*. Wonderful stuff with non-stop laughter from start to finish – for both the puzzle and the review. This was virtually R&W but, like Jean-Luc, I had a slight delay in the SW corner with 18a, 14d & 17d, my last three in, needing a little teasing out.

Many thanks to Rufus and to MP.

Posted April 11, 2016 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

For no obvious reason I was very slow to do the bottom left corner so more than 2* difficulty and 3*+ for enjoyment.
    Don’t even start me on 28a – thought strikers were football (or rugby or something) and I’ve certainly never heard of it – even got as far as thinking the ‘delivery men’ might be obstetricians – oh dear but got there eventually.
    Not very many anagrams – we seem to be having quite a few crosswords at the moment with very few – I made it four and a bit.
    I liked 19 and 27a and 17 and 24d.
    Thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops.
    The video for 8d and 5a in the Rookie crossword has finished me off for the day . . . :cry:

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted April 11, 2016 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Only MP could find one video which was relevant to two very different clues. Well done MP!

8. AnntheArt
    Posted April 11, 2016 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Made it a priority to finish this early today if I could so I am not always last to comment. I picked the right day as this was so enjoyable and doable with a little electronic help but no hints. Must confess to getting a bit of cricket help from better half for 28a. 14d and 19a were the last ones in… A duh moment with the latter! Liked 26a but the whole thing was a pleasure. A taste of what you skilled cruciverbalists must experience every day. Thanks to the setter and MP.

9. George
    Posted April 11, 2016 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

I was stumped by the SW corner today – although I solved 14d finally I don’t think as lot of the clue.and when I was at school the 26a was more of an administrator than a teacher. Not impressed by 18a either. But then I quibble.

4*/2* is my rating.

10. Shropshirelad
    Posted April 11, 2016 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Pretty much a R&W but I’m also in the ‘SW corner brigade’ as that took longer to do than the rest of the crossword. I thought 21a was clever as there were so many anagram indicators and different fodder and even 2 possible answers for ‘pies mash’ that it was only when 17d clicked into place that the rest of the answers came quite quickly.

Thanks to Rufus for the puzzle and to the poorly schooled etc etc for his review.

Just have to say what a cracking game of rugby between Wasps and Exeter over the weekend. Best match I’ve seen in many a year.

• Gazza
      Posted April 11, 2016 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

I agree that it was a cracking game on Saturday. Chiefs were unfortunate to be pipped right at the end – they’ll just have to go on and win the league now.

• jean-luc cheval
        Posted April 11, 2016 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

Very disappointed by Toulon however. And they are 4th in the Top 14.

• Shropshirelad
        Posted April 11, 2016 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

I hope they’re in the Final at the end of May. Mrs SL and I go every year as neutrals but we’ll be shouting for the Chiefs if they’re there – minus headdress and Jack Howell ‘pigtail’ of course.

11. Senf
    Posted April 11, 2016 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

Reasonably straightforward and completed comfortably before lights out last night.
    I immediately thought of Kath when I got 28a!
    I thought that 10a was not up to Rufus standard with the second part of the hyphenation in the clue and the answer; perhaps there was some ‘editorial’ effect in play. Three ‘nominations’ for favourite – 27a, 28a, and 16d – and the winner is 16d (by a nose).
    Thanks to Rufus and MP.

Posted April 11, 2016 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

12. Jean
    Posted April 11, 2016 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

Really enjoyed this after last week’s challenges. Found it easy which gave my brain a bit of a rest! The cricketing term is new to me so had to check it. Give it 1*/ 3*

13. Jane
    Posted April 11, 2016 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Yes – definitely the SW corner that was last to fall for me as well. However, bizarrely, I did know 28a!
    Not overly keen on 10a – rather too obvious?
    Top three slots go to 1,15&27a.

Thanks to Rufus and to MP for the review. Think I probably wouldn’t bother to watch the 27a film but the 8d clip was very touching.

14. Angel
    Posted April 11, 2016 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

A thoroughly enjoyable way in which to kick off the week. Thank you Rufus and MP particularly for the Leonard Cohen clip even if not exactly square! Delayed for a while in the NE. Tried to come up with a building for 16d. Neck and neck for Fav 27a and 28a. ***/****.

15. Hanni
    Posted April 11, 2016 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Straightforward solve. All anagrams were solved using pencil circles after I solved them in my head, then I got a rubber and rubbed them out to make the paper look neater.

Lovely start to a Monday. Liked 27 and 28a.

Liked the pic for 10a even more. Just fantastic. Couldn’t get the video for 27a to play so I watched the video for 8d twice to make up for it. I’ll watch 17d later, I hope it’s as good as the 8d video about lions.

Ridden out this morning without falling off. Ha! See I can ride well.

Many thanks to Rufus for the entertainment. Many thanks to the fully house trained Miffypops for the entertainment today too. Most enjoyable. And thanks to The Last Samuri on Saturday.

16. Robin Newman
    Posted April 11, 2016 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

favourites 19A and 27A
    when I thought it was a cricketing clue (19A) it was not, and when it did not seem to be a cricketing clue (28A) it was !

17. hoofityoudonkey
    Posted April 11, 2016 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

SW corner is a bit of a pain isn’t it???? Thinking cap time.
    Rest of it good fun.
    Well done Danny Willett, high sporting drama from Augusta last night.

Posted April 11, 2016 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops for the review and hints. I enjoyed this one very much, a super start to the week. The SW corner was the last to fall, but I put company for 18d. Favourite was 8d, which made me laugh. Last in was 14d. Was on the right wavelength for the cricket clues, some great misdirection in 22d. Was 2*/4* for me. Off to run the squash Tournament later.

• Hanni
      Posted April 11, 2016 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

I was about to ask if you were winning at squash! I thought you were playing. :-)

19. Dr M
    Posted April 11, 2016 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Sparkling stuff. No problems although it took longer than it should to solve 8d and 22a, don’t know why. Liked 17d best. Off to tackle the shrubbery now. Thanks to Rufus and Miffypops.

20. silvanus
    Posted April 11, 2016 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Count me in as another one who got stuck on the SW corner, those last handful of answers took longer than the rest of the puzzle combined.

Terrific stuff overall from Mr. Squires, I ticked six clues especially that I liked, 1a, 23a, 27a, 28a, 3d and 16d.

I totally concur with my soulmate RD that there can never be too much cricket, although starting the county season in early April is a regrettable consequence of allowing T20 to monopolise the days of high summer. Two successive days already washed out at Worcester.

Many thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops.

Posted April 11, 2016 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

Me too , re the SW corner . I didn’t get 14d or 22d.
    I liked 27a and 17d.
    Thanks Miffypops and Rufus.

22. pommers
    Posted April 11, 2016 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

SW for us too – tricky little Rufus. I’ll go for **/**** as it was very enjoyable.

21a might be favourite as I too couldn’t get EMPHASIS out of the head for a while.

Thanks to Rufus and MP.

23. Framboise
    Posted April 11, 2016 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

It seems that I was not the only one to be slow at solving the bottom SW of this very enjoyable puzzle. I too put rape instead of reap for 4d. Took quite a while to realize that the cricket in 19a was not the sport but the sonorous insect! Mr Framboise only provided half the answer for 28a – screen without the first word – he first thought it was just called white board. First wanted to put viceregal for 16d but of course could not parse it, oh dear! Anyway perseverence paid off and I managed to finish it, albeit not in my fastest time! For me 2.5*/3* with 8d as favourite.

• Framboise
      Posted April 11, 2016 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

Forgot my manners! Many thanks to Rufus and to MP for a great review!

24. fran
    Posted April 11, 2016 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

Easy but very enjoyable , only 8d caused any int erruption to the flow . No favourites but many thanks to MP and Rufus. */****. Miss January appears to be a heavy smoker !!

25. HoofItYouDonkey
    Posted April 11, 2016 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

Frustratingly defeated by the SW corner in the end, needed hints and a couple of answers (never heard of the 18a = agreement). Annoying as the rest of it went in quickly.
    Fav was 8d, also liked 19a. I thought 10a was a bit naff.
    Many thanks to MP for the hints, the rhubarb is doing well, nearly ready for that pudding fit for the Gods, rhubarb crumble and custard.
    Kitty may smile in memory of our couple of alternate clues for 1a when it appeared recently, I did.
    Thanks to setter, though next time, can we have the hard ones dotted about!!! LOL

• pommers
      Posted April 11, 2016 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

Hoofit, as a self-confessed newbie don’t worry. I’m a long-term BD blogger and I was slowed up a bit by the SW corner. If you got the rest easily then you’re doing pretty good.

• Kitty
      Posted April 11, 2016 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

Yes – you can take heart from today, HoofIt. You have had exactly the same hold-ups as many more experienced solvers.

As for 1a – yes, I smiled.

• Miffypops
      Posted April 11, 2016 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

From my introduction – only 18 across and 14 and 17 down providing any resistance. – All in the SW corner Hoofit. You are in good company. Our Rhubarb is also doing well but I wont be eating it.

• pommers
        Posted April 11, 2016 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

We used to have rhubarb in our garden in England but I thought it was rubbish. :lol:

26. Sheffieldsy
    Posted April 11, 2016 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

Finished in time to call this 1.5*/2*. Are we alone in being reluctant to put the answer to 10a in at first because the clue contains one of the words in the answer?

No particular favourite today, I’m afraid.

Well done to all the English boys in the Masters. Together with McIlroy it means a whopping six Brits in the first 14. I play at Fitzpatrick’s home club, so I can predict the topic of conversation tomorrow.

Thanks to MP and Rufus.

27. Kitty
    Posted April 11, 2016 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

It’s likely to be a trying week ahead, and this was not the best start. Either Monday puzzles are getting harder or I’m getting softer. I’m in the SW corner club. Also, 28a was a guess (initially I “pencilled” in a wrong guess for the first word which caused further pain) which I waited or the review to explain and put me out of my misery.

Got there in the end, and found lots to like.

Thanks to Rufus and to MP for the review. I think Miss January might be missing a bone.

Off now to do some futile cleaning, then should have time to have a go at Mr Rookie later.

28. Howitzerx3
    Posted April 11, 2016 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

Not a doddle by any means and after a late start got stuck on about five clues including 11a and 14d just could not work these out? However walked away for an hour and eventually got there.

Favourite clues 15a and 8d. Got 8 down straight away, odd struggled with some of the more straightforward clues.

Rating 2.5 / 3
    Thanks to MPOPS and the setter.

• Howitzerx3
      Posted April 11, 2016 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

Sorry that should have been 13a and 14d that caused a problem not 11a. A senior moment again!

29. Banksie
    Posted April 11, 2016 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

Have you got time for this? I’ll understand if not.

I have been attempting to get my daughter interested in crosswords for a while. Last year we would sit together at home with a cup of tea and attempt them. She loved doing them and we used BD to assist and explain.

My daughter contacted me earlier today to tell me she can’t sleep. She is now in Australia and has been since September.

I sent a photo of today’s puzzle via what’s app and we completed it together with me updating the photo from time to time. She answered more of it than me.

Isn’t technology fantastic sometimes? What’s app and big Dave giving me precious moments with my daughter .

Oh….she’s not asleep yet but you can’t have everything .

Posted April 11, 2016 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

How wonderful – I love comments like this. I do hope you and your daughter can share the crossword every day from now on

• Posted April 11, 2016 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

I hope you are not blaming me for your daughter’s insomnia!

Seriously though – well done.

• Hanni
      Posted April 11, 2016 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

That’s brilliant. Well done both. :-) The joys of WhatsApp and the blog!

• Miffypops
      Posted April 11, 2016 at 9:55 pm | Permalink

A lovely story. Well done both

• JonP
      Posted April 11, 2016 at 9:57 pm | Permalink

I loved reading your post. My daughter rolls her eyes and says, “Crossword?” when I’m solving. OK, she’s only 11 so I hope there’s time.

Kudos to WhatsApp, the blog and your continuing connection.

• Banksie
        Posted April 13, 2016 at 10:35 am | Permalink

Not sure if you’ll get this now. There IS time. My daughter is 31

Posted April 11, 2016 at 10:36 pm | Permalink

Brilliant – I love WhatsApp. When we were away for seven weeks earlier this year I was sending pics and messages to my Lambs almost every day. It wasn’t about crosswords but they are not dismissive about them at all – they both think that they’re good for me and keep my brain working – sometimes it all goes a bit wrong and convinces them otherwise.
      Many years ago a friend said that he did crosswords to keep his brain up to scratch – I said that that was one of the reasons that I did them too – his response was, “Oh, so it doesn’t work then” – he is still a friend!

• pommers
        Posted April 11, 2016 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

My aged parent once told me that my addiction to crosswords would not help my brain, nor would it stave off dementia. However, she reckoned that it would make me very good at solving crosswords. Perhaps she was right.

• Banksie
        Posted April 11, 2016 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

Thank you all for your comments.

What’s app quiet now so I guess she got back to sleep ok.

The only problem I anticipate is if she gets better than me at solving them. I have warned her against it.

Thanks again

30. Jon_S
    Posted April 11, 2016 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

Definitely into a **** for difficulty here, though to be fair I often struggle with Rufus. Like others struggled in the SW corner, not helped by the double unches at the end of 18d. I could picture exactly what I needed to write in at 28ac, but had no idea what it was called, and needed lots of checking letters that took a long time to come.

Posted April 11, 2016 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

It all went together at quite a canter until we got to the SW corner. Looks like we were not alone there. We’re almost disappointed that we hadn’t noticed the alternative incorrect anagram for 21a, seem to remember we had the first letter in place by that stage. Enjoyable puzzle.
    Thanks Rufus and MP.

Posted April 11, 2016 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

Just like the 2Ks, I was tearing through this until I reached the SW corner, and even then I put in “hoods” for 22d until I found myself unable to get 26a, and so had a rethink. I think 28a was my favourite – I too spent quite a bit of my childhood playing behind them, even when Wes Hall, Charlie Griffith and Gary Sobers were in action against Essex in Chalkwell Park just around the other side. How I wish I had watched them! Thanks to Rufus and Miffypops.

• Salty Dog
      Posted April 11, 2016 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

Now I come to think of it, it might have been Southchurch Park.

33. JonP
    Posted April 11, 2016 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

I solved all but the SW corner quickly. I often start Mondays’ puzzles in the afternoon and (occasionally) will have a quick look at the odd hint because I often find I’m trying to find the answer to a cryptic definition by adopting a charade-clue solving process (and Vice Versa).

Thanks to Rufus and MP 2.5*/3*

34. Jane
    Posted April 12, 2016 at 12:17 am | Permalink

Hi TS – for when you pop in. Haven’t been in touch for a while, although I did leave you a comment and it turned out that you’d gone off on the boat for the weekend. Kept meaning to ask whether you had chance to read the new Colm Toibin during the Canadian extravaganza. If so, what did you think of it? I haven’t had much time to read recently, but still have a couple of Kate Atkinson’s waiting for the next opportunity.

• Tstrummer
      Posted April 12, 2016 at 12:54 am | Permalink

Hi Jane. I did not, in the end, take Colm with me to Canada and instead bought throwaway running about and shooting novels at both airports to pass the time on the long flights. I do get a sneaky and guilty pleasure from a good one of those. I had no time for reading while I was there and have not opened a novel since my return – work is all consuming at the moment, so I’m just reading poetry. I will get round to Colm in due course and will fill you in when I do.

35. Tstrummer
    Posted April 12, 2016 at 1:02 am | Permalink

The usual excellent fare from Rufus. My only problem was of my own making, putting RAPE as the crop for 4d, which had me scratching my head, tugging my beard, lighting up another and pouring a second as I tried to fathom 9a. It was only when I got that, that I realised the error of my anagramming ways and had to make an ugly inky correction to 4d. Many thanks to MP, although I’m a bit disappointed that there was no Bob to enjoy – “You’re gonna make me lonesome when you go” would’ve done nicely for 19a. Grateful, too, to Rufus, who never disappoints. 2*/3*

• Tstrummer
      Posted April 12, 2016 at 2:34 am | Permalink

PS MP: Love the magical Lenny clip

36. Florence
    Posted April 12, 2016 at 9:18 am | Permalink

I have a bottle of rape seed oil in the cupboard, so immediately put rape into 4d as the crop. I had a eureka moment about ten to five this morning after dreaming my son was playing cricket and asked for the screen to be moved. I realised it was the answer to 28a. How bazaar. It actually woke me up. Had to check the answer. I remember CS stating how the mind can carry on searching for clues. I understand that now. Thanks Rufus and Miffypops.

37. Lewes Lesley
    Posted April 12, 2016 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Is it the fault of my computer or a fault with the site? The solution boxes are not greyed out but clearly displayed which is a shame because it spoils the pleasure of trying to solve the clues using only the hints

• Gazza
      Posted April 12, 2016 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog, Lesley. You’re not alone – even though the solutions are masked by the ‘Click here!’ boxes a minority of users are able to see them currently. BD is trying to find out the reason. Which Operating System and browser are you using?

38. Gwizz
    Posted April 12, 2016 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

This was a very good Monday offering from Rufus. Yes, like most of us, I slowed down in the SW corner and yes, I took the wrong option in 4d…. but I finished it quite happily.
    I thought 18a was a lovely clue….if clues can be considered as ‘lovely’. So that’s my favourite, and 3/3* overall.
    Thanks to Rufus and to the PLOB in LI.

39. Young Salopian
    Posted April 12, 2016 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

I did this one after completing Tuesday’s offering. This was as near to a straight run through as I have come across for some time, with no hold ups. Plenty of smiles but no real standout favourite.

1*3* with belated thanks to Rufus and MP.