DT 28078 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 28078 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Saturday Crossword Club

Some hints follow.

1a    Negligent hit-and-run (8)
A hit and a run – what more is there to say?

9a    Food fieldfare split? (6)
To get the definition, split the second word as field fare, which describes where this food is often eaten

10a    US soldier with witticism about maiden — tacky (8)
A US soldier and a witticism around M(aiden)

12a    Death of half followed by a quarter? (6)
A word meaning half followed by a compass quarter

16a    One’s held in castle after managing or attempting to escape (7,3,2)
I (one) inside a four-letter castle all after a verb meaning managing

21a    A continental argument’s set back your outdated inferior (8)
A continental indefinite article followed by the reversal (set back) of a three-letter argument and an archaic form of your

24a    Arctic triumph, first attempt (6)
Start with (first) a triumph and then add an attempt

26a    Solitary revolutionary monarchist (8)
An anagram (revolutionary) of SOLITARY

2d    Not well  stored for future use (4,2)
Two definitions

3d    Violet turns up unknown photo (5)
A mathematical unknown and a photo, all reversed

5d    Greeting girl’s reported — this should keep things clean? (7)
The first two letters sound like (reported) a greeting and the rest sound like a girl’s name

8d    Pointing one’s finger at a cricket club — exhausting (8)
The A from the clue followed by the abbreviation for C(ricket) C(lub) and a verb meaning exhausting

13d    Long drink containing very soft fruit (9)
A verb meaning to long or yearn followed by an alcoholic drink around the musical notation for very soft

14d    Disposable shed found on a street? (9)
A verb meaning to shed or cast off followed by the A from the clue and a street or road

18d    Refrain needs 100 hours for new arrangement (6)
The Roman numeral for 100 followed by an anagram (for new arrangement) of HOURS

22d    Learn dances relating to a type of organ (5)
An anagram (dances) of LEARN gives an adjective meaning relating to a type of organ of the body

The Crossword Club is now open.

The Quick Crossword pun: jack+art+err=Jakarta

1. Kitty
    Posted April 2, 2016 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Life is returning to normal, and the crossword too was typically Saturday: pleasant to solve with nothing to cause any grief.

Favourite clue today is probably 23a. 10a was last in and a new word for me.

Many thanks to the setter for the puzzle and to BD for everything.

2. Florence
    Posted April 2, 2016 at 11:28 am | Permalink

5d was my favourite. Struggled with 10a. New word for me too. Had the wrong word in for ages. Fermented wrong set of words in one of the clues and came up with a new word that for some reason sets me off into a fit of giggles. Thank you setter for a great start to the weekend, and to BD for the review. Love anything to do with cricket.

• Kitty
      Posted April 2, 2016 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Hi Florence. I meant to congratulate you on your RayT success the other day – well done!

(Now you’ve got me fermenting the other set of words to see what I can brew up …)

• Florence
        Posted April 2, 2016 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

Thank you for your kind comment. You are only looking for one word Kitty, not three, but I found it funny. Goodness knows why. Still on a high from Thursday I think.

• Kitty
          Posted April 3, 2016 at 12:11 am | Permalink

I found a real word, and it’s quite a funny one. Not very appetising sounding, but I’d have to taste it to find out. As for the high – enjoy it. :)

• Ridgerunner
      Posted April 2, 2016 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Does a point of the compass play a part in it?

• Kitty
        Posted April 2, 2016 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

It might. And the remaining three letters can then make a real word (making the whole a half-plausible compound word) – but I’m betting that Florence had those letters the other way round.

• Ridgerunner
          Posted April 2, 2016 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

I didnt spell out the words for modesty , but now you have confirmed my own thoughts, i can envisage a very useful device for navigation.

• jmaden
          Posted April 2, 2016 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Which clue are you talking about here? I’m intrigued!

Posted April 2, 2016 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

You’ve changed your name – you used to be JohnM – which is why you went into moderation.

• Kitty
            Posted April 3, 2016 at 12:12 am | Permalink

The clue in which you have to ferment some of the letters…

• jmaden
              Posted April 3, 2016 at 10:32 am | Permalink

Thanks Kitty but there are a few of those so I was hoping you could narrow it down

• Kitty
                Posted April 3, 2016 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

Sorry, maybe I should have emboldened “fermented” for you – 15d. :)

• jmaden
                  Posted April 4, 2016 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Sorry Kitty was distracted by the point of the compass comment which was pertinent to 12a and had forgotten that 15d had the word fermented in the clue! Now I’m further intrigued…presumably the only other set of words to ‘ferment’ in 15d would be hot and drink, which, to include a point of the compass, could be rearranged to north and kid or am I totally barking up the wrong tree here as can’t see the link to ‘not very appetising’ or ‘navigation aid’ even when kid is reversed?! Have almost spent as long trying to figure this out as the crossword itself so please could you put me out of my misery – thanks!

• Kitty
                    Posted April 4, 2016 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

I’m really not sure what else I can say that won’t get me sent to the naughty corner…

• jmaden
                      Posted April 5, 2016 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Understood Kitty. But are you able to tell me whether the words I’d derived were along the right lines or had I completely misinterpreted everything?!

• Kitty
                      Posted April 5, 2016 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

You were right, J – just not as juvenile as some of us. :)

Posted April 2, 2016 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Can’t wait to get home to print the monthly prize.
    I thought the Saturday prize would occupy my free time but it was over too soon.
    I wouldn’t call the setter a 21 6 3 19 but these words stood out for me.
    Thanks for the fun while it lasted and to BD for the blog.

4. Young Salopian
    Posted April 2, 2016 at 11:38 am | Permalink

This was over all too quickly on a somewhat damp and drizzly Marches morning. I will go for 21 across as my favourite just to be different from earlier comments. 1.5*/3* sums up my thinking, with thanks all round.

Posted April 2, 2016 at 11:39 am | Permalink

If you found this one fairly Saturday-ish, and your husband/wife/significant other isn’t trying to make you garden in this lovely sunshine, once you’ve done the NTSPP, fans of Virgilius may wish to look at today’s Guardian prize crossword as it is a rare appearance of him as Brendan.

• jean-luc cheval
      Posted April 3, 2016 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

Didn’t realise Brendan and Virgilius were the same person but I see now a couple of his trademark clues.

Posted April 2, 2016 at 11:49 am | Permalink

2*/4*. Not too tough but great fun. I haven’t come across 10a for years – what a splendid word!

Choosing a favourite from this excellent selection is difficult but I’ll go for 12a with 1a a close second. It’s interesting that everyone seems to be opting for different favourites today.

Many thanks to Mr Ron and to BD.

P.S. The company I have been trying to retire from for nearly four years keep asking me to do some project work for them and I’m off to Dubai this afternoon for four days so I won’t be around again until late on Thursday . It’s a tough job but someone’s got to do it … I’ll take the Monthly Prize Puzzle with me for the flight.

Posted April 2, 2016 at 11:53 am | Permalink

Pink slip requesting absence duly received and approved. :-)
      I liked 1a too – how did I miss that one out of my list of good clues?

Posted April 2, 2016 at 11:50 am | Permalink

I thought this was a good crossword with some nice clues and fairly straightforward.
    I spent far too long stuck in the top left corner trying to make 3d into a photo – couldn’t, which was just as well.
    I had the wrong last bit to 23a for a while but that was sorted out by 17d.
    I liked 10a (my Dad used that word so not new to me) and 23a and 2 and 17d. My favourite was 5d.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and to BD.
    A lovely day in Oxford – off to the greenhouse but might just have to look to see how devious Alchemi is this time!

8. Collywobbles
    Posted April 2, 2016 at 11:52 am | Permalink

BD. I’m not getting my. Daily e.mail containing. The hints. Should i reapply.

• Posted April 2, 2016 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

The answer is still the same as the one I gave yesterday:

You are putting a period in front of your email address which sends your comments into moderation.

• Collywobbles
        Posted April 2, 2016 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

Sorry BD. I missed it. I’m trying out my wife’s iPlayer (with mixed success – I don’t think that they will catch on ). I’ve taken out the point. Does that do it?

9. Caravaggio
    Posted April 2, 2016 at 11:52 am | Permalink

Like Florence, 5d was my favourite – probably because I saw the answer straight away. And, like Young Salopian, it’s damp and dismal in South Cheshire and I shall now have to amuse myself by tackling the Telegraph’s GK crossword, which, I hope, will last longer…

Posted April 2, 2016 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and to Big Dave for the hints. A nice gentle Saturday puzzle. Only a slight hold up in NW corner. My Dad used to use 10a a lot too. Needed the hints to parse 9a,which was last in. Favourite was 13a. Thought 13d was an old chestnut. Was 1*/3* for me. Off to the Goonerium later. Lovely sunny day in Central London.

11. Young Salopian
    Posted April 2, 2016 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

If I’m not mistaken, the quick crossword could have been a pangram if the setter had used the question for 12 down as the answer.

• Robin Newman
      Posted April 2, 2016 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

I noticed that-also, the top row pun appears as one of the down answers.

Posted April 2, 2016 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Forgot to say earlier – Happy Birthday Bufo.

13. Howitzerx3
    Posted April 2, 2016 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

Must be one of the easier ones finished in ****** with no help, unheard of for me! My first posting now I feel worthy of it. My favourite is 10a not a word used much these days. Thank you all so much for getting me to this standard after forty years of frustration, what a great blog this is only been using it a couple of months.

• Posted April 2, 2016 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Howitzerx3

We try to avoid discussing solving times – you can use equivalents like cups of coffee or pints of beer but not minuts and hours.

• Howitzerx3
        Posted April 2, 2016 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

Thanks for that now understand the protocol. About three pints of real ale would be the equivalent so only Big Dave will know my beer drinking capacity. Thanks for the welcome Kath great to be part of it. Should have mentioned a special thanks to Big Dave earlier for all the effort he puts in.

Posted April 2, 2016 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

Welcome from me too. You don’t have to be worthy of anything to put comments here – just look at some of the rubbish some of us write . . .
      Keep commenting – you’ll learn lots and no-one ever makes anyone else feel silly.

• Florence
      Posted April 2, 2016 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog H3

14. Senf
    Posted April 2, 2016 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

A bit of head scratching here and there, but reasonably straightforward – so **/*** for me. Favourite 10a – a nice construct to the clue, but something of an oldie but goodie I think. And, wasn’t the answer the ‘nickname’ of a horse racing commentator/pundit (many) years ago? If I am correct, I think that is where I first came across the word and finding out its various definitions and synonyms (especially tacky) later was a bit of a let down. If my comment is incorrect, please ignore all this twaddle!

• Angel
      Posted April 2, 2016 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

As you will see from my comment No.21 I eventually thought along the same lines.

• HoofItYouDonkey
      Posted April 2, 2016 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

Quite right…******* is (from memory) the tipster Robin Goodfellow in the Daily Mail. Don’t know if he still does it.

• Angel
        Posted April 2, 2016 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

******** was of course a successful nag in the 18th century and there is a famous Stubbs painting of him on Newmarket Heath and the ******** Stakes is a Group 2 race run at York. All this quite irrelevant as far as the clue for 10a is concerned!

15. pommers
    Posted April 2, 2016 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

Very nice start to the day.

I think 9a might be favourite just because we had a pair lived around our garden in England.

Thanks to setter and BD.

Now off to downtown Los Alcazares to meet up with Mr and Mrs Neveracrossword for a beer or two. What with Jezza in Valencia, Neveracrossword with a place in LA and us in Almoradi we’ll soon be organising an Eastern Spain Sloggers and Betters!

Posted April 2, 2016 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

I must have 9a wrong, certainly my answer wouldn’t “live” in a garden. I can’t imagine what else the answer could be.

• Senf
        Posted April 2, 2016 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

Perhaps Pommers is referring to the bird in the clue, and not the solution (which is definitely not a bird)? See BD’s hint above.

• pommers
          Posted April 2, 2016 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

Indeed I was – now off for said beer as soon as pommette gets out of the shower, it may be some time :-)

Posted April 2, 2016 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

My error! I didn’t know there was a bird of that name, so, I’ve learnt something today and my day has not been wasted!

Posted April 2, 2016 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

Come and stay with us next wInter – you’ll see (and hear!!) more than you could ever wish for. They love eating up all the apples left behind in the large orchards behind us.

Posted April 2, 2016 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

When I lived in England, I was always surprised at the amount of birds who stuck around in winter, and they all looked so COLD! Alas, I have mobility problems and another winter visit is not in my future, unless they can fix me up with a few spare parts.

• pommers
                Posted April 2, 2016 at 10:04 pm | Permalink

With us it was damsons – which left rather large purple stains on the car which were not easy to remove :-(

• pommers
                  Posted April 2, 2016 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

Would that make them turdus purpura? :-)

• Posted April 2, 2016 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

I’m sure Senf is right. It’s the fieldfare from the clue that is the bird.

• Vancouverbc
          Posted April 2, 2016 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

… And it has an unfortunate Latin name 😂

Posted April 2, 2016 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

This was done very quickly, but it appears my 9a must be incorrect, see pommers’s post #18.
    Fave was 10a, haven’t heard that for a long time.
    Thanks to the setter and to BD for the hints.

17. Vancouverbc
    Posted April 2, 2016 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

**/***. Enjoyable puzzle. Favourite was 12a. Thanks to the setter and BD for the review.

18. williamus
    Posted April 2, 2016 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

Pleasant Saturday puzzle but I was too quick with putting the wrong answer in for 10a… a word that I’m sure I knew but forgot many years ago… last in. 9a my favourite as a couple of years ago we had over 80 of them descend on a Crabapple tree in January and strip it of fruit in minutes. **/**** thanks to the setter and to BD.

19. judetheobscure
    Posted April 2, 2016 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

Pleasant enough though over too quickly ;) Favourites 18d, 19a and 25a.

20. HoofItYouDonkey
    Posted April 2, 2016 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

NW corner a bit tricky…

21. Angel
    Posted April 2, 2016 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

I was slow off the mark but much enjoyed the trip once I got going. Thank you Mr. Ron and BD. Had a bit of a struggle with 10a trying to use a word for novel rather than the equine association (risking the naughty corner?). Fav probably 13d. ***/****.

22. Jon_S
    Posted April 2, 2016 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

A nice stroll in the park, nothing too taxing. Liked 1ac.

23. Gwizz
    Posted April 2, 2016 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

Pretty straight forward as Saturday crosswords usually are. 25a was my fave and 2/3* overall. Pleasant while it lasted.
    Thanks to the setter and to BD for the hints…. and everything else he has been doing to keep this show in the road. It’s appreciated big time.

24. HoofItYouDonkey
    Posted April 2, 2016 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable. NW corner was a bit more tricky. Favourite and last in was 5d. 13a was a good anagram.
    Thanks to BD for the hints and to the setter

25. Sheffieldsy
    Posted April 2, 2016 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

Gentle crossword action today, we felt. Nothing too taxing unless, like us, you have the wrong word associated with hit and run in 1a – that took some debugging before we could get 2d. Strangely, no favourite today.

The unfortunate Latin name of the bird came up, believe it or not, in a recent pub quiz! That’s Sheffield for you.

Thanks to BD and the setter

26. Robin Newman
    Posted April 2, 2016 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

over too quickly today
    favourites 13A and 13D

27. RichardW
    Posted April 2, 2016 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

Not on the right wavelength today – too hard for me!

• HoofItYouDonkey
      Posted April 2, 2016 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

We all have days like that, even the experts (don’t worry, I am not one!!)

Posted April 2, 2016 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

I’d be interested to know whether, if you leave the crossword overnight, and pick it up again in the morning, how much of it you wil then be able to solve. There’s part of your brain carries on solving while you do something else entirely, even while you sleep.

• Bluebell
        Posted April 2, 2016 at 10:03 pm | Permalink

I often find that when I hit a brick wall going away and doing some thing else for a few hours helps. I then find that a clue that I have been struggling with for some time falls into place quite quickly

Posted April 2, 2016 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

I didn’t find it all that easy.I’ll pick 1a as my favourite.
    Thanks to all concerned.

29. Weekendwanda
    Posted April 2, 2016 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

Wet and windy this morning in Cornwall. During drive home the sun came out and completed the puzzle between Gloucester Services and Strensham. Last one in 5d. Put it down and lo and behold when I picked it up again the answer was there. Very enjoyable if over too quickly. Thanks setter BD and bloggers

• pommers
      Posted April 2, 2016 at 10:08 pm | Permalink

‘completed the puzzle between Gloucester Services and Strensham’ – hope someone else was doing the driving :-)

• Weekendwanda
        Posted April 3, 2016 at 10:38 am | Permalink

Well spotted Pommers – I wondered who might comment on that! I am a multi-tasker but if I had been driving I think it would have taken until Tamworh at least.

• Posted April 3, 2016 at 10:49 am | Permalink

Strensham is about 7 miles from us – next time why not call in!

30. Bluebell
    Posted April 2, 2016 at 9:57 pm | Permalink

Pretty straightforward apart from 21a which took a while to figure out. There was only one answer that I could see that would fit and the penny eventually dropped therefore it is my favourite. Also liked 10a and23a.

Posted April 2, 2016 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

A pleasing romp of a puzzle: 1*/4*. I enjoyed 10a, but then I would have enjoyed practically anything after spending the afternoon watching Exeter Chiefs put Worcester Warriors to the sword. I did most of this at half time, finishing off hours later at home when I remembered I hadn’t (you know what I mean). Thanks to the setter, and to Big Dave.

32. Young Salopian
    Posted April 3, 2016 at 10:08 am | Permalink

The Sunday iPad version seems to have the GK crossword rather than the cryptic version from Virgilius.

Posted April 3, 2016 at 10:23 am | Permalink

You’ll have mail in a minute (or possibly two as the world’s slowest computer takes a while!

• Young Salopian
        Posted April 3, 2016 at 11:20 am | Permalink

How very kind. I don’t have long to complete it as Mrs YS and I are off shortly to watch Wasps play Northampton this afternoon.

Many thanks once again.

33. Gaskyns
    Posted April 3, 2016 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Yes, I agree with Young Salopian. We have the GK crossword rather than the Cryptic in the Sunday digital version. Very disappointing! Hope the Telegraph electronic gurus correct this today!

34. Gaskyns
    Posted April 3, 2016 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Thanks so much BD. My Sunday morning equilibrium is now restored!

35. David in Bali
    Posted April 3, 2016 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Got stuck on this, but went back to it (because I didn’t like the Sunday puzzle) and managed to finish it. Agree about 10a. I worked out what it might be, and rang a bell somewhere, but had to check it was a real word. 23a made me smile.