DT 28072 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 28072 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Saturday Crossword Club

Some hints follow.

1a Necklace material about right for a pound (6)
Material that could be used for a necklace around R(ight)

8a Give flattery that’s rather mild apparently (8)
This could be mean rather mild when a suffix is added to an adjective meaning mild or insipid

11a Follow order how to address Turkish governor? (4)
Split as (1,3) this could be how to address a Turkish governor

16a Subordinate to support scam (6,6)
A verb meaning to support or back followed by a scam or fraud

21a After last month, shortened king’s platform (4)
Not the business term for last month but the three-letter (shortened) version of the last month of the year followed by the abbreviation for K(ing)

23a What footballer may damage in match — put dressing around it (8)
A match or contest inside (put … around it) a type of medical dressing

24a Down South I ache going around (6)
This word meaning down or not in front is derived by putting S(outh) and I inside a verb meaning to ache or yearn

25a Secure  accommodation for Arabs (6)
Two definitions – these Arabs are horses

1d A bicycle breaking down — and avoiding it (8)
An anagram (breaking down) of A BICYCLE – the “it” that is being avoided is sex

5d Continent brings slight change to a Saxon kingdom (7)
The A from the clue followed by a Saxon kingdom with the 4th and 5th letters swapped (slight change)

6d Stupid old man almost dead unfortunately (3-6)
Five of the six letters (almost) of the formal word for the old man followed by an anagram (unfortunately) of DEAD

9d Wessex writer to cancel penning a regular feature (5,6)
The surname of an author whose books were set in Wessex followed by a verb meaning to cancel around the A from the clue

14d Girl holding banal procedure before the end (4,5)
A young girl around an adjective meaning banal

15d Girl who’s marrying one of the Guards welcomes soldier in Spanish resort (8)
They’re changing guard at Buckingham Palace and Christopher Robin went down with this friend, who is marrying one of the guards – put her name around a soldier insect

18d Transport French crew (7)
FR(ench) followed by the crew of, for example, one of the boats in the Boat Race

21d Get out of army march with first touch of biliousness (5)
A march or protest followed by the initial letter (first touch) of B[iliousness]

The Crossword Club is now open.  I’ll be back at lunchtime after my monthly visit to the Village Café and Market.

The Quick Crossword pun: sear+succour=seersucker

1. spursmichaelj
    Posted March 26, 2016 at 10:37 am | Permalink

took a while to get started,going horrible with 8oc

Posted March 26, 2016 at 10:42 am | Permalink

Many thanks for all the kind welcome back messages I received yesterday. What a lovely community this is! Many thanks too to BD for making it all possible.

I very much enjoyed today’s offering for which my rating is 2*/3*. 1a was as usual for me the first clue I attempted but ended up my last one in. 13a invokes memories of a bygone era, and I particularly liked 8a & 1d.

More many thanks to Mr Ron for today’s entertainment and to BD for the hints.

• Ridgerunner
      Posted March 26, 2016 at 10:56 am | Permalink

1a last in for me also. Guessed the likely answer but took a while to parse it . No outstanding clue which is a good sign as i liked them all.
      Thanks to setter and BD

• Expat Chris
      Posted March 26, 2016 at 11:04 am | Permalink

Good to have you back! I trust you are well rested and nicely suntanned.

3. George
    Posted March 26, 2016 at 10:43 am | Permalink

I found this one a bit trickier than the usual Saturday fare, Some tricky anagrams had me thinking for a while. So I would rate it as 2*/4*. Very enjoyable though.

4. Senf
    Posted March 26, 2016 at 10:54 am | Permalink

Completed comfortably before lights out last night. Overall, I think that 8a provides a good description of this puzzle with not much excitement at all. But, I did like 1d and 20a. Thanks to the setter and to BD.

5. Jaycat
    Posted March 26, 2016 at 11:04 am | Permalink

Quite difficult indeed, not quite on the same wavelength as the setter today, 3* from me and 3* for enjoyment.

Posted March 26, 2016 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Nothing very challenging but a nice solve for an early morning. 1D is my pick. Thanks to our setter and to Big Dave, my hero.

Posted March 26, 2016 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Pretty straightforward solve.
    Learned a new word in 2d and in 9d.
    1a was OK.
    Favourite is 14d.
    Thanks to the setter and to BD for the blog.

Posted March 26, 2016 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Not a nice one today, too many not quite right clues such as 1a and 24a and I thought 4a a poor clue all ends up. Not that tough but didn’t really enjoy it.
    Thx for the hints

Posted March 26, 2016 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Really good fun, I thought – probably a bit trickier than some Saturdays – well, either that or I’m being dim today.
    I took a while to get going.
    I didn’t know the Turkish governor, or I’d forgotten him.
    A rugby clue followed immediately by a football one – oh dear – at least they both turned out to be doable.
    I liked lots of these – just a few are 8 and 13a and 1 and 3d. My favourite was 14d.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and to BD.
    Can’t write – can’t type – have very fat finger after getting massive thorn in it yesterday while cutting our spiky hedge – grumpy! :-(

10. Jox
    Posted March 26, 2016 at 11:39 am | Permalink

20a not to my taste so took a while and needed a blustery dog-walk before I was off and running. I liked this better than last week’s, however.

11. Katie B
    Posted March 26, 2016 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Very enjoyable….liked 9d…thanks to BE and setter..

12. Robin Newman
    Posted March 26, 2016 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

managed to finish without reference to hints-unusual for me-so 1*/4*
    favourite clues 13A & 1D
    Thanks to BD & setter

Posted March 26, 2016 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

I rather enjoyed this one. Not difficult but very entertaining – 2*/4* – and some lovely clues. 6d, 14d and 15d are all worth a mention, but for me 1d gets the prize. Many thanks to the setter, and of course BD.

14. pommers
    Posted March 26, 2016 at 9:24 pm | Permalink

Haven’t been able to get in all day but finally made it :-)

Pleasant stuff and a little trickier than recent Saturdays. ***/*** from me.

Favourite has to be 15d because it’s where I live. Not so sure about calling it a resort though. That’s a bit like calling Southampton a resort, although the beaches in ******** are a lot better.

Thanks to the setter and BD.

• Posted March 26, 2016 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

In order to reduce the load on the cpu I have deactivated a number of plugins. As a result, there may me a few glitches in various parts of the blog. The stats showed cpu usage of 50-70 throughout most of the day – with 3 cpus allocated the figure should be below 3, which it is at the moment.

• pommers
        Posted March 26, 2016 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

I’ll go sit in the naughty corner but at least I’ve edited out the answer.

Your comment looks a bit like it’s in English but isn’t quite so understandable. Pommette had the idea that you should archive a load of old stuff so that only the last couple of years or so load. She said it would depend on how the site is actually structured but it might be worth considering. I’m a bit like my mate Manuel – “I know nothing, I am from Stretford (nearly Barcelona)”!

• stanXYZ
        Posted March 26, 2016 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

In plain English … does that mean that you haven’t a clue what is causing the problems on this web-site?

• Posted March 26, 2016 at 9:59 pm | Permalink

You’ve got it in one. WordPress can be augmented by adding plugins to provide additional features such as user editing of comments and animated emoticons. These plugins are written by numerous different people and it is possible for two plugins to work individually but clash when both are active at the same time. I have thought for some time that a clash may be at the root of the performance problems, but it seems that trial and error is the only way to find out the loacation of the clash.

• Michael
            Posted March 27, 2016 at 10:05 am | Permalink

When I was active in the IT industry and we came up against a seemingly unsolvable problem we always used to joke about taking a ‘heuristic approach’ to the situation, which in layman’s language meant ‘suck it and see’.

The performance problems and the other ‘odd’ problems are baffling but all you can do is keep ‘fiddling around’ with things until you hit upon a workable situation – good luck with it all and your efforts are appreciated.

• Egbert Nobacon
        Posted March 28, 2016 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

I didn’t enjoy this one. Some of the clues are very thin and definitions tentative. 2/10 for me

• Gazza
          Posted March 28, 2016 at 8:33 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog, Egbert.

15. Jon_S
    Posted March 26, 2016 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

A little trickier than par for a Saturday. Thanks for explanation of 15d – I got the answer, but the cryptic remained so.

16. Bluebell
    Posted March 26, 2016 at 11:19 pm | Permalink

Found this a bit tougher than the normal Saturday. Certainly struggled to get going.
    Managed to get to get a toe hold in the SEcorner and worked my way from there.
    Some very good clues 6d,14d and23a in particular.

17. Weekendwanda
    Posted March 26, 2016 at 11:47 pm | Permalink

Good crossword, some lovely clues. Was sorry not to get on the blog earlier as finished apart from clues. Assumed answer for 24a but could not work out why ( Don’t know why I could not parse now!). Other tricky one for me was 22a. I think the problem from the wordplay was that I was trying to fit succeed into the rugby move. It was actually easier than I was trying to make it. Don’t know why people found 1a difficult. A good clue and eminently doable I thought. It was one of my favourites together with 16 and 25a and 9d. Hope site gets sorted. Must be frustrating and annoying. Thanks setter and BD. Not many bloggers – clearly frozen out.

18. Young Salopian
    Posted March 27, 2016 at 7:13 am | Permalink

Good to know that I was not alone both in being unable to access the site until this morning, and with having 1 across as my last one in. Overall this was an excellent crossword, with many thoughtful and fun clues.

3*/3.5* with many thanks to Mr Ron and BD, not only for his hints, but also for the excellent work behind the scenes to keep the show on the road.

19. Caravaggio
    Posted March 27, 2016 at 8:09 am | Permalink

Good morning and a Happy Easter to you all. I’m pleased to see that things have returned to normal and I’m sure that we’re all grateful to Dave for the time and effort he that he puts into running this wonderful site. I didn’t experience any problems with the puzzle and got off to a flier by spotting the answers to 1a and 1d straight away and everything else fell into place fairly quickly.

20. Michael
    Posted March 27, 2016 at 10:09 am | Permalink

I tried to get in several times yesterday and gave it up as a bad job!

I found this one a lot trickier than the normal Saturday fare but very enjoyable – some nice anagrams which are always appreciated by me.

Happy Easter.

21. Killer Watts
    Posted March 27, 2016 at 10:15 am | Permalink

Hello all. I haven’t been able to log on here for several weeks, has there been a major problem ? Ironically, I logged on in Budapest this week, where I was having me choppers done. I suspect I’ll be unable to look in again later ! What’s happening ??

22. Leveret
    Posted March 27, 2016 at 10:43 am | Permalink

I’ve only just managed to get into this, only to find no hints for my last in (7d) . Oh well, good old Chambers did it – a bit of an abstruse clue I thought.

• Badger
      Posted March 27, 2016 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

Yes, a bit ‘Jeeves’ style!

23. Sheffieldsy
    Posted March 27, 2016 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Did this one in the pub last night and tried their new food menu. This was definitely, for us anyway, tougher than the usual Saturday offering. We were not helped by putting the wrong second word in 16a (we had that stuff you tie up parcels with and thought it fitted rather well since one of its meaning as a verb is ‘(slang) fool or hoax’. Hope this doesn’t incur an exile to the naughty step). Or maybe it was beer at work – who knows? Regardless, it took us a while to discover our most of 4a.

Thought 8a was a lovely clue.

So it’s 3*/3* from us, thanks to BD and the setter and Happy Easter all.

24. Badger
    Posted March 27, 2016 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

It was one of those that needed peace and quiet, rather than watching TV at the same time. Got several when I went to bed. 12a was last – I expected a ‘G’ in it until I looked it up in dictionary . One or two oddies but didn’t, need a hint. Thanks BD & setter!

• Bazzer
      Posted March 27, 2016 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

I was quite pleased with myself for getting all but one clue. My last one was also 12a. I have seen the probable answer and can see one way the clue works, but cannot see where the ‘imbecile’ fits in……unless that is me! Shame BD doesn’t give any hints for this clue.

• Posted March 27, 2016 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Bazzer

12a Reinstated imbecile in distress (10)
        Easier than you may think! It’s an anagram (imbecile) of REINSTATED

• Bazzer
          Posted March 27, 2016 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

Thanks BD, I have learnt something today….imbecile = anagram…
          I had got the anagram without knowing why and was wrestling with “********” as in distress!

• Posted March 27, 2016 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

Your incorrect answer is too close to the actual answer so has been redacted.

25. Gwizz
    Posted March 27, 2016 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Nearly forgot to comment after failing to log on yesterday. Not a bad crossword I thought, a little trickier than the usual r&w’s on a Saturday. I liked 25a for its simplicity.
    2/3* overall.
    Thanks to the setter and to BD for manfully persevering…..

26. HoofItYouDonkey
    Posted March 27, 2016 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

Rather late in the day.
    Didn’t think much of that, too many odd clues, hard to put my finger on it.
    Thanks to BD for the usual high-quality hints and to the setter

• HoofItYouDonkey
      Posted March 27, 2016 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

All done just before the concluding part of “The Night Manager”.
      That one will not live long in the memory.
      Hope Sunday is better.

27. Vancouverbc
    Posted March 27, 2016 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

***/***. Trickier than normal for me. Liked 20a & 14d. Thanks to the setter and DT for the blog.

28. Tstrummer
    Posted March 28, 2016 at 2:17 am | Permalink

Didn’t have time for this on Saturday as I was too busy being lazy and when I finally got myself into gear, a DT was not to be found within walking distance of Strummer Towers. Oh well. Picked up a copy at work and settled down to a satisfying solve on my return. Trickier than the usual Saturday fare, and all the better for it. I liked the anagrams and have no gripes about any clues – which is almost a first. Lots of them jostling for pole position, but I’m going for 14d as leader of the pack, with hon menshes for 20a, 13a and 1d. Gosh, it’s stormy out. Hope everyone keeps safe. It reminds me of the poem by Fernando Pessoa (in his guise as Álvaro de Campos) which, probably, only mathematicians will appreciate, if anyone.
    Newton’s binomial theory
    Newton’s binomial theory is as beautiful as the Venus de Milo
    O! O! O! O! — O! O! O! O! O! O! O! O! O! —
    O! O! O! O! O! O! O! O! O! O! O! O! O! O! O!
    (The wind out there)