Hints and tips by 2Kiwis

BD Rating – Difficulty ** – Enjoyment ***

Tomorrow morning we will be up well before dawn to drive to Wellington to catch the ferry to the South Island where we will be for the next two weeks. This means that any comments that we make will come from on board the ferry (assuming we can get the Wi-Fi to work) and for the next two Jay puzzles, you can all look forward to a different supplier of the Hints and Tips.
We found Jay to be in his gentler mood today with a feast for those who enjoy long anagrams.

Please leave a comment telling us how you got on.

1a     Worries about son’s light touch (6)
CARESS : A word meaning worries has the abbreviation for son included.

4a     Discipline is found in celibate (8)
CHASTISE : IS from the clue is inside a word meaning celibate or pure.

9a     Times quote on start of election to raise feelings (6)
EXCITE : The first letter of election, then the mathematical symbol for times or multiply by, and a word meaning to quote.

10a     Particular drug (8)
SPECIFIC : A double definition. The second meaning (from BRB)  “A remedy or medicine for a particular disease or part of the body”.

12a     Organ‘s terrible scare after backing racing certainty (8)
PANCREAS : An anagram (terrible) of SCARE follows the reversal of a word for a horse racing certainty. (We needed the BRB to check this racing term).

13a    Reveal end of filming by international forces (6)
UNWRAP : The word used to mark the end of a movie-maker’s ‘take’ follows an abbreviation for an international organisation.

15a     Order Dutch treats, accepting Man Utd originally make the grade (3,3,7)
CUT THE MUSTARD : An anagram (order) of DUTCH TREATS includes the first letters of Man and Utd.

18a     Blairite coped after doctoring elementary information (8,5)
PERIODIC TABLE : An anagram (after doctoring) of BLAIRITE COPED.

20a     Employ people (6)
OCCUPY : A double definition. People here is a verb and means to populate or ‘supply inhabitants for’.

22a     Lines used by footballers after drink will lead to ruin (8)
DOWNFALL : A verb meaning to drink, then an association for footballers and the abbreviation for line, twice.

24a     Journalist put onto one married couple did damage (8)
IMPAIRED : Start with the Roman numeral One, then the abbreviation for married, a word for a couple, and then a senior journalist.

25a     High finish hurt feelings (6)
OFFEND : High in an unpleasant olfactory way and then a word meaning to finish.

26a     Relatively famous German of the Naughty Nineties? (8)
EINSTEIN : An anagram (naughty) of NINETIES. He is ‘relatively’ famous because of his well-known theory.

7a     Yes — runs on way for runner who won’t give up (6)
STAYER : Another word for yes is preceded by the abbreviation for a type of roadway, and followed by the cricket abbreviation for runs.

1d     Sinister member of the Lords put up in empty cemetery (6)
CREEPY : A general word for a member of the House of Lords is reversed inside the first and last letters of cemetery.

2d     Syndicate accepting bill — accountant right to get competitive transport (6,3)
RACING CAR : A syndicate or group of people includes the abbreviation for a bill, and then the abbreviation for a chartered accountant and R(ight).

3d     Forced Unitarians to top the limit (10,5)

5d     Store sending son down to get brewer’s requirements (4)
HOPS : A store or retail outlet has its first letter moved to become the last letter.

6d     Term of employment that stinks if scene be changed (8,7)
SICKNESS BENEFIT : An anagram (changed) of STINKS IF SCENE BE.

7d     Gather sign of beer must be oddly missing (5)
INFER : Starting with the second letter of the second word of the clue take every second letter.

8d     Commercial seen in flight for a jolly adventure (8)
ESCAPADE : A word for a flight or breakout has the short word for a commercial plug inside it.

11d     King remains on edge, up somewhere in Asia (7)
KASHMIR : The chess notation for king, then the remains left by a fire and the reversal of a synonym for edge.

14d     Feeling no one book should be promoted (7)
EMOTION : Promoted in a down clue means read the whole lot backwards. NO from the clue then the Roman numeral for One and a large book.

16d     Typically maintain lady must be disheartened after maturity (9)
AVERAGELY : A word for maintain or state, then a three letter word for maturity and finally the first and last letters of lady.

17d     The other side has answer for its first fitting (8)
APPOSITE : A substitution clue. Find a word meaning the other side and replace its first letter with the abbreviation for answer.

19d     Germany welcomes top flier (6)
GLIDER : A three letter abbreviation for Germany includes a word for a top or a cover.

21d     Bird needing head covered? (5)
CAPON : When the answer is split 3,2 we have a phrase that says ‘wearing headgear’.

23d     Shop held up by juvenile — deplorable (4)
DELI : And once again we conclude with a reversed lurker hiding in the clue.

We enjoyed unpicking the long anagrams and as we have to choose between them will go for 18a as our favourite.

Quickie pun    wheeze   +   hills    =   weasels

1. Kitty
    Posted March 16, 2016 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Well, that 15a. I wouldn’t call it easier than usual, as many of the answers required some gentle teasing out.

My BRB was only needed for a quick verification of the second meaning of 10a. I remembered the horse racing certainty in the following clue, which pleased me. Carelessly wrote in the store for 5d at first – bet I’m not the only one who did that.

I liked the discipline (4a), the raised feelings (9a) and the one who won’t give up (27a). A reminder to go running later. My first favourite is the beautiful anagram in 18a with its amusing and smooth surface and lovely definition. Favourite favourite however is 26a. Relatively famous. Naughty nineties. Just brilliant.

I also liked the quickie pun. So much to like today. Like like like.

Thanks to Jay, who has once again provided a lovely puzzle to brighten up the deepest darkest part of the week. And many thanks to the 2Kiwis for blogging, and once again doing a mighty fine job of it. I smiled at the illustration for 19d. Enjoy your trip :) .

• Graham
      Posted March 16, 2016 at 11:33 am | Permalink

I bet you are the only one to write in store!😺

• Kitty
        Posted March 16, 2016 at 11:40 am | Permalink

With a little tip-ex, it fits.

• Graham
          Posted March 16, 2016 at 11:53 am | Permalink

Marvellous stuff tip-e.

2. JonP
    Posted March 16, 2016 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Straightforward solve today, held up briefly by 17d.

Thanks to the 2Kiwis and Jay */****

3. Omar
    Posted March 16, 2016 at 11:13 am | Permalink

I enjoyed this…..26a was my favourite, like Kitty….11d was last in, and I struggled with 20a….great anagrams!

4. rod
    Posted March 16, 2016 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Nice brain workout today. SW corner took some thought and spent quite a while verifying my answer to 16d. My Chambers does not include that word (don’t have an OED). Anyhow google came to the rescue. Thanks to setter and the 2 Ks.

Posted March 16, 2016 at 11:24 am | Permalink

This crossword is spot on regarding what I have to do today.
    Have a new chef at the Jardin but he just doesn’t 15a. I’ve come to 3d and shall give him his marching orders unfortunately. Let’s hope he doesn’t feign some kind of illness and put himself on 6d.
    Thanks to Jay and to 2kiwis for the review.

• Jane
      Posted March 16, 2016 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

Hi JL – sounds as though you’ve got a potential problem there and just when I assume that you’re gearing up for the start of the main season. Hope you’ve got alternative chefs waiting in the wings?

By the way – Hanni is just ecstatic over her ‘goody bag’. Hopefully, I’ll be treated to some honey & mustard salad dressing when I go to visit her!

• Miffypops
        Posted March 16, 2016 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

It will have all gone Jane. Hanni has no self restraint

• jean-luc cheval
          Posted March 16, 2016 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Mind you, the English Borage honey you gave me is also finished.

• Hanni
          Posted March 16, 2016 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

Hanni has no self restraint? Once again there are no words MP…unbelievable. But then again you are the master of restraint are you not? What was it you had for breakfast yesterday?

I’m sure there will be some left Jane. Then again I’m sat thinking about the honey right now.

J-L. That sounds like such a nightmare. I’ve just had a quick read of the reforms under Loi El Khormi…oh good grief. What was the borage honey like BTW?

• Miffypops
            Posted March 16, 2016 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

I am a master of self restraint Hanni. Yes we ordered champagne with breakfast yesterday but we do that every year with out fail. It is part of the Cheltenham ritual. I also exercised great restraint with gambling yesterday. I quit whilst ahead even though I strongly fancied Vroum Vroum Mag. It could have all ended in tears. It did not. Thanks to my self restraint.

• jean-luc cheval
        Posted March 16, 2016 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

You can’t imagine how complicated a procedure such as this can be. By law I have to inform him of my decision two weeks before the end of his trial period which had been extended as we not sure about his capacities and he could choose to leave in the next 48h or stay till the end of the month. I have someone on standby thank goodness but the same scenario could occur again with the new one. The “code du travail” is very complex, the government is trying to change it at the moment but it only leads to strikes even though it’s only being discussed at the moment. It’s called the “Loi El Khomri” which is the name of our current works minister.

• Miffypops
      Posted March 16, 2016 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

I don’t understand Jean-Luc all chefs do is warm things up. How hard can that be?

• Angel
        Posted March 16, 2016 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

Depends on the restaurant. I think many chefs would resent that comment (roll-eyes emoticon).

• Miffypops
          Posted March 16, 2016 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

Everybody wants their job to be more important and complicated than it actually is. When broken down to basics chefs merely warm things up.

• Hanni
        Posted March 16, 2016 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

What if it’s a salad MP? How do you warm up a salad?

• Miffypops
          Posted March 16, 2016 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

Unless it’s a salad. I do like boiled new potatoes with a salad

• jean-luc cheval
        Posted March 16, 2016 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

He took it rather well. Understood my predicament. Very relieved.
        I wish it was just warming things up but I need a creator who thinks along the lines of Le Jardin.
        Our style is more Fusion Confusion as I call it.
        From Seared Tuna with Wasabi Mash to Octopus Stew with the odd Lebanese Mezze and Vegetarian Indian Thali thrown in.
        I need a well travelled chef and not someone from the Coq au Vin brigade.

• Miffypops
          Posted March 16, 2016 at 11:10 pm | Permalink

It doesn’t matter what’s in it. It still needs warming up

• Hanni
            Posted March 16, 2016 at 11:17 pm | Permalink

And prepping and knowing what flavours work with others and so on and so forth.

Ok so say you are at the pub..and you get a load of campers etc. You make them breakfast. Sausage, bacon beans etc. Does the fact that you can heat some beans up make you a chef? Or scallops…can you prep and cook scallops? Not as easy as it sounds.

And I just knew you would find a way around my perfect salad argument.

Sounds amazing J-L. Glad everything is sorted.

6. Jane
    Posted March 16, 2016 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Definitely one for the anagram lovers and none the worse for that.
    16d made me cringe a little – doesn’t sound as though it should be a ‘real’ word.
    Wondered whether 20a might be a triple definition. I’m probably wrong, but it did seem to be possible.

Like Kitty – 18a gets a tick from me, but 26a takes the bouquet.

Thanks to Jay for brightening up a Weds as usual and to 2Ks for managing to give us one of their incredibly high standard blogs when they must have more pressing matters to attend to. Have a wonderful sojourn on South Island. If you bump into my friend, Jacquie, as she nears the end of her NZ tour – please say ‘Hi’ from me!!!

• KiwiColin
      Posted March 16, 2016 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

Jane I shouted out, “Does anyone know Jane’s friend Jacquie”. Everyone put their head down or stared out at the sea so I guess she is not on this ferry. Will keep trying though. Cheers.

7. dutch
    Posted March 16, 2016 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Some tricky substitutions that I had to check (racing certainty, end of filming), and though I started by looking for a double definition in 20a (employ people), i then decided it was must be a cryptic definition, so thank you 2Kiwis for the enlightenment. The corners were still tricky even after the long anagrams, which I liked. Appreciated the namecheck but I liked the German clues more: 19d (german welcomes top flier) & 26a (Relatively famous german). There’s a more cringeworthy german clue in the toughie.

Many thanks Jay and 2Kiwis

8. Paso Doble
    Posted March 16, 2016 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Gentle puzzle from Jay today but thoroughly enjoyable.
    A big thank you to our Antipodean chums for the blog

Posted March 16, 2016 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

A lovely Wednesday crossword, as usual. I agree with the K’s that it was fairly gentle so 2* difficulty and 3*+ for enjoyment.
    I had to check the racing certainty in 12a – must have forgotten that one.
    I like long anagrams and 15 and 18a were fine but I was pretty slow with 3 and 6d for no obvious reason so that held me up a bit.
    22a and 19d were my last answers.
    I dithered about the first letter of 17d for ages even though it doesn’t affect anything – unfortunately the clue I’m dithering about in the Toughie does affect other answers.
    I liked 1, 5, and 11d and I agree with others that the favourite award goes to 26a – it was his birthday on Monday, the same as younger Lamb.
    With thanks to Jay and to the K’s – hope the trip to South Island is good – it’s nice to be able to picture your journey to Wellington and your ferry crossing on the Picton Ferry – no ‘faces’ so can’t send you a wave or a smile!

10. Miffypops
    Posted March 16, 2016 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

A fair enough puzzle from Jay. All too easy anagrams enabled light work to be made of the rest. Ta to all. It seems the 2ks are on permanent holiday.

11. Chris
    Posted March 16, 2016 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

Always delighted when I finish a crossword unaided – (not that often I’m afraid!). Not sure how ‘specific’ relates to ‘drug’ (10a)? As Kitty says, she wasn’t the only one to write in ‘shop’ at first (5d).

• Jane
      Posted March 16, 2016 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

Hi Chris,
      Take a look at 2Ks hint for 10a – they’ve included the BRB definition of a ‘specific’ in the world of drugs.

• Chris
        Posted March 17, 2016 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Thanks Jane. BRB?

12. David in Bali
    Posted March 16, 2016 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

Still learning this game, having learned a lot from this blog, but finished today’s and yesterday’s without cheating. Well, maybe slightly as the app tells me if I’ve made a mistake somewhere. 17d stumped me for a while, and for 14d I “just bunged it in” – didn’t know why it was right until I read the blog. Same for 12a. Had to check the dictionary for 10a, but got there in the end. Thanks to 2kiwis and all who write this wonderful blog.

• Gazza
      Posted March 16, 2016 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

You’ve expanded your alias since your last comment so this needed moderation. Both aliases will work from now on.

13. Dr M
    Posted March 16, 2016 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed this a lot. As with the previous 2 days no problems and plenty to enjoy. 21d was amusing, but for me 26a has to take the blue riband.

14. Dr M
    Posted March 16, 2016 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Forget to say thanks to the 2Kiwis and Jay

15. Hanni
    Posted March 16, 2016 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

What a lovely puzzle to solve. Pencil circles were used to dispatch the anagrams…mostly on general principle. LOI was 19d. Even with all the checkers I just couldn’t see what it was. Daft I know.

Plenty of smiles including 1, 11d and 18a

The gold medal goes to 26a.

Many thanks to Jay and to the 2Kiwis for a great blog as always. Enjoy your travels.

16. Shropshirelad
    Posted March 16, 2016 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

Pretty standard fare from Jay today with the SW corner last to fall and that was only due to me trying to fit ‘crown’ into 21d – D’oh! The puzzles this week seem to be full of anagrams for whatever reason. I like a good anagram or two in a puzzle but do prefer other types of clue that require a bit of lateral thinking – that doesn’t include Spoonerisms! Having said all that I will go for 18a as my favourite of the day.

Thanks to Jay for the puzzle (please be gentle next week) and the 2K’s for their review.

The Toughies is eminently do-able, if only for 13a.

• Shropshirelad
      Posted March 16, 2016 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

For some reason I keep on getting an ‘S’ added to my ‘Toughie’.

• Jane
        Posted March 16, 2016 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

That sounds like a rather nasty ailment, SL. Hope you recover quickly.

17. Jaylegs
    Posted March 16, 2016 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Nice crossword but I felt ***/*** failed to change to the correct letter to start 17d😱 Very careless Favourite(s) 1d & 24d 😘 Thanks to J & 2xKs for as always a great blog. I did wonder if there was just a ” hint of the Festival in the answers to 12a & 27a”

• Miffypops
      Posted March 16, 2016 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

You need to be a 27ac to work out some of the possible permuations

18. Young Salopian
    Posted March 16, 2016 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Miffypops got it right earlier as I too thought the simple anagrams led the way into a gentle solve. Nothing too sticky, therefore, and I think the 2 Ks rating is spot on. I will nominate 1down as my favourite, and offer my thanks to Jay and the two from down under.

19. hoofityoudonkey
    Posted March 16, 2016 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

Total respect to anyone who found this easy!!
    With Jay, I find some of wordplay pretty much incomprehensible and end up trying to solve the clues by definition alone, like a quick crossword, which is basically impossible.
    Time to go through the hints for about the 20 that I can’t solve and hopefully learn something.
    Thanks for the hints 2K’s, and to the setter as he has clearly given much enjoyment to everyone else!!

20. silvanus
    Posted March 16, 2016 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

A brilliant puzzle today from Jay I thought, I loved wheedling out the long anagrams and the difficulty factor was just about right too.

My joint favourites were 22a and 26a, both very amusingly clued.

Many thanks to Mr. Mutch and our southbound Kiwis.

21. mre
    Posted March 16, 2016 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

Good afternoon everybody.

Mostly straightforward today although it turns out 17d tripped me up as I wrote O not A as the first letter not fully understanding the clue. Last in 11d was favourite.

Think I was just into three star time anyway but with the mistake I’ll have to say ***/****

Posted March 16, 2016 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Really? Just ** for difficulty? The 2Ks must be joking! Nevertheless, hugely entertaining.
    Worked all sorts of circles trying to unscramble the anagrams, but had fun doing so. I did need the hints to know the “why” of a couple of bungins, e.g. 10a and 7d.
    I’m not going to choose a fave, there are too many good clues, but I must mention 15a as it was one of my first in.
    Thanks to Jay and the 2Kiwis, have a great holiday.

Posted March 16, 2016 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Jay and to the 2 Kiwis for the review and hints. A very enjoyable puzzle from Jay as usual, a bit on the gentle side. Enjoyed the “science” type clues 18&26a, the latter being my favourite. I initially spelt in wrong by transposing the second EI, once corrected, I got 23d which was last in. Sun was out for a while in the Smoke. Was 2*/4* for me.

Posted March 16, 2016 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable, some lovely clues such as 1a and 26a. Took ages to parse 27a as I spent so long trying to fit something around YES. So obvious when you realise the answe.
    Thx to all

25. Killer Watts
    Posted March 16, 2016 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

To follow

26. Killer Watts
    Posted March 16, 2016 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

Ah ! Haven’t been able to log on here in a fortnight. Today I could, then, when sending my review, it again said server not found. Guess many others had the same Barney Rubble ?
    Nice puzzle today, ***/***, though I had the O word in 17 D !

Thanks to setter and BD.

• Hanni
      Posted March 16, 2016 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

If you keep having trouble try going through https://kproxy.com/ Type in bigdave44.co.uk into the search box. I’m still posting via it.

27. Angel
    Posted March 16, 2016 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

This was a barrow-load of fun for me. Nicely structured anagrams (e.g. 18a and 26a – my joint Favs) with just enough exercise for the (old) grey matter. Thank you so much Jay and indeed the 2 Ks.

Posted March 16, 2016 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

Good morning everyone. We are now on board the ferry in Wellington and should be departing very soon on our 3-4 hr voyage across Cook Strait and through the Sounds to Picton. Then a 4 hr drive to Christchurch. With the quickie pun we did wonder whether 8a should be part of it too giving the answer’s calling card, but expect that Jay would not do that. Have fun, we intend to.

29. Jon_S
    Posted March 16, 2016 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

A gentle mid-week solve, with no real hold ups. Liked the definition at 26ac.

Posted March 16, 2016 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

2.5*/3*. I finished quickly but had gone wrong in the SW corner – hence the extra 0.5* for difficulty. 26a was my favourite, but memories of Tom Lehrer nearly made it the similarly-themed 18a. Thanks to Jay and 2 Kiwis.

• Kitty
      Posted March 16, 2016 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

Posted March 16, 2016 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

Oh, my goodness! Tom Lehrer is going back a long, long way! Thank you for finding that with all its associated memories.

• Angel
          Posted March 16, 2016 at 10:35 pm | Permalink

Yes ideed – “Memories are Made of This”.

• dutch
        Posted March 16, 2016 at 9:08 pm | Permalink

god, i remember that from school….

• Kitty
          Posted March 16, 2016 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

A trip down memory lane for me too. Thanks to Salty for the prompt.

(There’s also a nice video available on YouTube of Daniel Radcliffe doing it on the Graham Norton Show.)

31. HoofItYouDonkey
    Posted March 16, 2016 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

What a slog that was!!
    Finally got there, just needed a couple of hints.
    A very useful, if painful, workout to see how complicated the wordplay can be. Hopefully lots of lessons learnt and stored.
    On the positive side, that’s the first time I have successfully completed a Jay crossword.
    Thanks for the hints and the setter…

Posted March 16, 2016 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

That is real progress. Well done Hoofit.
    Sent from the middle of Cook Strait.

• HoofItYouDonkey
      Posted March 16, 2016 at 9:15 pm | Permalink

Thanks, have a good holiday…
      Great hints BTW. My sister is in Wellington, I shall get there one day…

33. TheTeesdale2
    Posted March 16, 2016 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

Hoofit, don’t worry, you’re not alone in finding this Jay awkward today. On my own for this today, and missed Mrs TT2’s input! Thankyou to the 2K’s for excellent hints, otherwise I’d still have a couple to go in. 26a is a great clue. Thanks Jay, and enjoy your trip 2K’s, not at all jealous!

34. Gwizz
    Posted March 17, 2016 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

Catch up time again. A fairly gentle crossword from Jay but still very enjoyable to do.
    1d was my favourite and 2/3* overall.
    Thanks to Jay and have fun 2k’s…..

35. Wanda
    Posted March 18, 2016 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

I found this one tricky so thanks for all the hints!