Hints and tips by 2Kiwis

BD Rating – Difficulty ** – Enjoyment ****

Like Toro yesterday, we are not able to access the website to be able to post this ourselves. What we have had to do is phone around to find  friends who could access the site and connect up using their wi-fi. Many thanks Colin and Pam.
Good stuff from Jay once again this week.

Please leave a comment telling us your thoughts on it.

1a     Struck by writing that’s restrained (10)
HANDCUFFED : A word meaning struck with an open hand follows a word that describes a person’s writing style.

6a     Creatures carried by consumers going west (4)
EMUS : These Australian creatures are hiding (backwards) in the clue.

10a     Perfect, say (5)
UTTER : Double definition, the first one could also be absolute.

11a     Engineers expressing disapproval about time getting PC going again (9)
REBOOTING : Army engineers, and then how an audience might express disapproval with the abbreviation for time included.

12a     City needing my answer to include date of birth (7)
CORDOBA : This Spanish city is found from a synonym for ‘my’ or ‘blimey’, then the acronym for date of birth and the one letter abbreviation for answer.

13a     Humour about bowler’s thingy? (7)
WHATSIT : A word for what a bowler is an example of, with ‘S from the clue, is all inside a word meaning humour.

14a     Satisfaction when initially denied confirmation (12)
RATIFICATION : A word meaning satisfaction loses its initial letter (which just happens to be a G).

18a     Agrees, packing forged Ming shipments (12)
CONSIGNMENTS : An anagram (forged) of MING is inside a word meaning agrees.

21a     Bohemian relations back on strike (7)
BEATNIK : Reverse a general word for one’s relations and put this after a word meaning strike or hit.

23a     Item acrobats are told to change? (7)
LEOTARD : An anagram (to change) of ARE TOLD.

24a     Moan about a story’s inconsistencies (9)
ANOMALIES : An anagram (about) of MOAN, A from the clue and then untruth’s.

25a     Reclaim a good environment for an insect (5)
IMAGO : Another creature lurking in the foliage.

26a     Crush fly (4)
DASH : Double definition. The second one is to rapidly depart.

27a     Sixties music beery mates played? (6,4)
MERSEY BEAT : An anagram (played) of BEERY MATES.

1d     Gut feeling about a large cut of meat (6)
HAUNCH : A gut feeling or intuitive knowledge includes A from the clue.

2d     Characteristics of flora and fauna (6)
NATURE : What flora and fauna collectively constitute.

3d     Cut mainly coming after fiddling crop rotation is a duty (11,3)
CORPORATION TAX : An anagram (fiddling) of CROP ROTATION and then a word meaning cut with a heavy sharp implement that has lost its last letter.

4d     Class ace getting into new structure (9)
FORMATION : A synonym for a class, then a letter that represents an ace in cards is followed by an anagram (new) of INTO.

5d     Joint given to person getting sack? (5)
ELBOW : What somebody who is getting fired might be said to be given.

7d     Canvas having trouble under water? (8)
MAINSAIL : An old word for seas and then a three letter word meaning trouble.

8d     Getting a view of son struggling, having missed start (8)
SIGHTING : The abbreviation for son and then another word for struggling or ‘in combat’ loses its first letter.

9d     Council using writer in neighbourhood (5,9)
LOCAL AUTHORITY : An eight letter word meaning neighbourhood surrounds a writer of books.

15d     Excited side inviting top celebs and perfectionists (9)
IDEALISTS : An anagram (excited) of SIDES includes the roster that contains top celebs.

16d     One won’t strike poet, keeping weapon here (8)
SCABBARD : The name for a person who won’t take part in an industrial disruption and then a general word for a poet.

17d     Almost faint, panicking in front of tailless rodent of ill repute! (8)
INFAMOUS : An anagram (panicking) of the first four letters of FAINt, then a small rodent loses its last letter.

19d     Cold scruff welcomes a bite to eat (6)
CANAPE : The abbreviation for cold, then A from the clue and a word for scruff or the back of the neck.

20d     Skilful Italian supports a doctor with nothing (6)
ADROIT : A from the clue, an abbreviation for doctor, then the number for nothing and the abbreviation for Italian.

22d     Weapon that’s fine to change after end of week (5)
KNIFE : An anagram (to change) of FINE comes after the last letter of week.

Two on the podium today, 21a and 9d.

Quickie pun   ways   +   toff   +   time   =   waste of time

1. Young Salopian
    Posted March 2, 2016 at 11:05 am | Permalink

Top puzzle from Jay this morning. So many good clues, but as Kath is back I will go for just the one, and nominate 13 across as it made me laugh.

Many thanks to Jay and the 2 Ks for their review. 2.5*\3.5*

Posted March 2, 2016 at 11:07 am | Permalink

For me verging on 4 star for difficulty, very very tricky indeed.
    Not much fun either, not on the setters wavelength at all.
    I think this must be punishment for yesterday’s easy but very enjoyable puzzle.
    Thx to all

3. Miffypops
    Posted March 2, 2016 at 11:09 am | Permalink

A third gentle crossword with only the two long across clues taking any time.Thanks for the nibble at 19d. I like a bit of food in a puzzle. Thanks to Jay and also to the 2Ks and I presume the other 2Ks

4. bifield
    Posted March 2, 2016 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Fine puzzle this morning. A nice brain workout, not too taxing and very enjoyable. Thanks to Jay and to 2Kiwis for the review.

5. Sheffieldsy
    Posted March 2, 2016 at 11:23 am | Permalink

Enjoyed this. All clues went in at a good pace.

In view of recent website travails, 11a has to be a topical favourite. I’d also highlight 12a.

Thank you to the 2Ks, Colin, Pam and Jay.

6. Spook
    Posted March 2, 2016 at 11:36 am | Permalink

This must be revenue for yesterday’s puzzle, found it quite tricky, however lots of clever clues. Favourites for me 7d well as a yachtsman it would be, and do course 11a.
    Again thanks to the 2Ks and to Jay.

7. pete
    Posted March 2, 2016 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Really enjoyed todays puzzle, some very good clues. More of a challenge than yesterday, took me a while to get going but finished without any help. Many thanks to the setter.

8. Bluebirds
    Posted March 2, 2016 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

So good to have BD back to help out.

Overall today was just a tad too obtuse for my liking, comparedt o the previous 2 days.

Handicapped today by putting in fillet as 1D. Thought that was a fair answer given to fillet is to gut, and a fillet is a piece of meat :roll:

9. Ridgerunner
    Posted March 2, 2016 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

First few clues drew a blank but once i broke the ice , the rest followed.
    Parsed 7d differently.
    Took WATER to mean the water supply , as in “turn off the mains”
    Thanks to the 2Ks and Jay

10. Omar
    Posted March 2, 2016 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Tricky, but great puzzle for me – for some reason I liked 1d but thought 2d was slightly weak…

11. Hilary
    Posted March 2, 2016 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

Not able to get into website this morning despite trying several different ways, finally sneaked in to confirm my findings. Thanks to 2Kiwis and friends plus Jay for taxing my little grey cells. Rather liked 13a but difficult to nominate actual favourite from among several choices. Welcome back Kath we have been ever so good in your absence. :unsure:

12. Jaylegs
    Posted March 2, 2016 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

I found this quite tricky so ***/** :scratch: I liked 1a & 18a, 23a the old Countdown favourite :yahoo: Thanks to the 2 X Ks and their chums and to Jay for a tricky puzzle :bye:

13. Hanni
    Posted March 2, 2016 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

I can get on the blog!! Hurrah! I’ve actually had work all day,

Very pleasant solve from Jay. Loved 13a, 27a and 19d.

Many thanks to Jay and to the 2Kiwis for a lovey blog. Beautifully illustrated.

Posted March 2, 2016 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

Third attempt today, so I’ll be quick!

Great puzzle, great blog. 2*/4*. Many thanks to Jay & the 2Ks.

P.S. I agree with Ridgerunner about the parsing of 7d.

• pommers
      Posted March 2, 2016 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

I agree about 7d but it works either way.

Posted March 2, 2016 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed this crossword from Jay.
    The sixties music was new to me but easily got.
    Great surface all round.
    11a gets my vote and we could easily change PC for BD.
    Thanks to Jay and to all the kiwis for managing to post the review.

16. Scousegit
    Posted March 2, 2016 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

I came across this site a couple of months ago and it has really enhanced my enjoyment of the crossword. I have a much better idea how to solve the clues and how to identify the type of clue. Today was as close to R & W as I’ve ever been so something must have sunk in. Thank you all. Maybe one day I’ll be able to identify the setter, or does that take years? :scratch:

Posted March 2, 2016 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog.

I can’t remember which Frequently Asked Question it is but if you use the tab at the top of the page and scroll down, you’ll find out exactly how we know the names of the setters each day.

• Posted March 2, 2016 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Scousegit

Have a look at the FAQ for what we know about the setters – Wednesday is almost invariable Jay (Jeremy Mutch).

• Jose
        Posted March 3, 2016 at 11:03 am | Permalink

BD. I was just wondering – why aren’t the setters for the back-pager named each day (above the crossword), like happens with the Toughie? Then, these recurrent enquires/discussions (occasionally, even the regulars aren’t quite sure exactly who the setter is) wouldn’t occur. Maybe this has been asked before?

• Posted March 3, 2016 at 11:07 am | Permalink

It has probably been asked before, but I understand it is not the policy of The Daily Telegraph (or The Times) to publish the names. Guessing the setter is, however, part of the fun.

• Shropshirelad
      Posted March 2, 2016 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Welcome from me as well – hope you keep commenting.

• 2Kiwis
      Posted March 2, 2016 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

Welcome from us too Scousegit.

• Cryptor
      Posted March 2, 2016 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

And from me, a fellow scouser now exiled in Warwickshire but proudly retaining a poshed up accent, or so my scouser friends tell me.

17. HoofItYouDonkey
    Posted March 2, 2016 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Excellent crossword, fought my way through it with a few hints.
    Very good learning exercise for me with several ‘doh’ moments.
    A couple of questions…
    1a – Should there be something that indicates that the ‘struck’ goes before the ‘writing’ bit???
    21a – Similar to above. Is there anything to clue that the reversed word for relations goes after the ‘strike’, on does not really work on an across clue, I would have thought.
    Recognising anagram indicators, must get better!!
    Many thanks to the 2K’s for the hints and the setter – excellent puzzle today.

• Cryptor
      Posted March 2, 2016 at 10:33 pm | Permalink

Re 21a, my understanding is that ‘on’ is exactly the right word in an across clue. It would be under or below or similar in a down clue. As for 1a, I had the same thought as you but as the answer could only be the one way round, I didn’t really question it. Perhaps someone more savvy than me can add a definitive answer.

Posted March 2, 2016 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

I did manage to get onto the site via IE at work but was unable to comment without being told the site wasn’t available :cry:

Safety home with Firefox now and so I’ll have another go and say that this was another ‘start with the Downs’ Wednesday puzzle that took me the same time as usual.

Thanks to Jay and all the lovely helpful Kiwis.

19. Shropshirelad
    Posted March 2, 2016 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

Very pleasant outing with a smile or two along the way.

Thanks to Jay for the puzzle and the 2K’s for their lovely review.

• Shropshirelad
      Posted March 2, 2016 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Since BD has ‘upped’ our power and memory I have now been able to access and post. The 2K’s have asked me to post this on their behalf

Hi Jim,
      We still can’t access the site from home to be able to comment ourselves on Jay’s puzzle, but have been able to read everyone’s comments from the email notifications. Could you just say Hi from us so people know we are still here.
      Cheers, Colin and Carol aka 2Kiwis.

20. Posted March 2, 2016 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

Thanks to all of you for your patience.

I have had to give the site another energy boost – we now have 3 cpu cores and 3gb memory, which, for the benefit of Pommette, puts us into the speedboat class. Much more and we would be ready for Formula 1.

• Shropshirelad
      Posted March 2, 2016 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

It’s been said before – but I’ll say it again. You are a Star my man. Judging by my email traffic so many people have missed not being able to either access or comment on the blog. I hope this posts.

• Hanni
      Posted March 2, 2016 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

I agree with everything SL said.

21. dutch
    Posted March 2, 2016 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Great puzzle

I wrote a comment earlier which didn’t post, but now the speedboat class seems to work -excellent. I also thought like Sheffieldsy that 11a was a comment on our website. Like the all-in-one nature of 23a – possibly the most interesting clue i’ve seen for this word. 24a is my favourite, very smooth.

Many thanks 2kiwis and Jay

Posted March 2, 2016 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

Well, I didn’t find this as easy as most did; entertaining yes, easy no.
    In the end I had to use my handy little cheater, but I got there in the end, last in was 26a.
    I loved 11a, 13a and 19d in particular but lots of goodies.
    Thanks to Jay and four Kiwis!

23. Mary Mary
    Posted March 2, 2016 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

3*/3* for me today as I couldn’t do the top half at all without help ! 1a was too clever for my post-flu-virus frailty ! Still can’t understand 6a either…..or 8d………. :negative:
    PS Greetings to fellow Scousegit . :yahoo: I’m in the despised L8 but worra lorrra laffs !

• Angel
      Posted March 2, 2016 at 11:57 pm | Permalink

Mary Mary, hope you will soon shake off the ‘flu bug completely. 6a – solution is hidden in reverse (going west) in the clue. 8d – single letter abbreviation for son followed by synonym for struggling omitting first letter.

24. Bertie
    Posted March 2, 2016 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

I think it was more of a 3 star for difficulty than 2 – ‘imago’ had to guess at that one and check with dictionary. But very good clues all the same, and particularly liked 1 across.

25. Owdmon
    Posted March 2, 2016 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Hi all, I usually print off the crossword and do it late in the evening, so it always seems pointless to pass comment a day or so later :) I bought the Telegraph today, so did the crossword early. I’ve never found the Wednesday ones easy, but thoroughly enjoyed today’s offering, though I needed a bit of help with a couple of clues. Loved 13 across and like Scousegit have found this site to be immensely helpful in helping me enjoy the daily offerings.

• Gazza
      Posted March 2, 2016 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

You’ve made a minor change to the spelling of your alias since your last comment (in 2011). Both variations should work from now on.

26. mre
    Posted March 2, 2016 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

Good afternoon everybody.

An unanticipated joint effort today with me contributing just the last half dozen or so. Annoyingly we were defeated by14a so I’ll have to put it down as at least three star difficulty.

27. Florence
    Posted March 2, 2016 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

I was scratching my head with this, and resorted to looking up 1a. Somehow the penny dropped and I was able to finish the rest unaided, but did check a few things. The more I solved, the more I enjoyed it, so thank you Jay. Thank you too to all the kiwis for persevering in getting the review up.Favourite has to be 17d. Is 2d really cryptic ?

Posted March 2, 2016 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Jay and to the 2 Kiwis for the review and hints. A very enjoyable puzzle from Jay as usual. Quite tricky in places, got there in the end without the hints. Favourite was 13a. Last in was 14a. 23a made me laugh. Was 3*/4* for me. Off to the Toughie.

29. silvanus
    Posted March 2, 2016 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

A steady if unspectacular solve, with some lovely wordplay. I agree with Ridgerunner and Rabbit Dave about the alternative parsing of 7d.

My favourite clue was 27a (surprised that it wasn’t nominated by Scousegit too!)

Many thanks to the 2Kiwis and to Jay.

30. Vancouverbc
    Posted March 2, 2016 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

**/****. Splendid puzzle! Favourites 13&18a and 9d. Thanks to the setter and the 2Ks for the review.

31. Bluebell
    Posted March 2, 2016 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

After a quick scan I thought that I was not going to get far with this puzzle. However after a drink and a think things began to go together. Finally managed to get all the way to the SE corner only to be stumped by 25a untill the penny finally dropped Very enjoyable though and more of a challenge than yesterday.
    I would say three star from my point of view

32. Gwizz
    Posted March 2, 2016 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

That was a good workout today after yesterday’s easy ride! Even with all the checking letters I still managed to make a ricket with14a. Ramifications indeed… NB note to self, must read clues properly….
    13a was my fave and overall 3/3*.
    Thanks to Jay and to the FourK’s (No handles)
    And BD, as the archetypes of 27a sang, ‘Its getting better every day… Better, better better..’ Thank you for your efforts

Posted March 2, 2016 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

Re posting . I don’t whether it is the blog or the server, my server, Virgin, which has been getting steadily worse.
    A lovely puzzle, not too hard etc. I particularly liked 13a, 21a, 27a, and my favourite is 14a. Thanks to Jay.
    A very big thank you to Colin and Pam , what a lot of trouble they had to go to. :smile:

34. Angel
    Posted March 2, 2016 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

Hurrah, there you are again BD – well done and welcome back! :rose: We have been let off lightly so far this week so perhaps you haven’t been too badly missed except for the entente cordiale. Today was enjoyable with South presenting no problems but a couple of thorny moments in the North. Needed help with 25a. No fav to pinpoint. Thanks Jay and 2Ks. ***/***. :yes:

35. Clarky
    Posted March 2, 2016 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

A good mental workout after an hour of Pilates and a chilly 18 holes. ** bottom half but *** top. Perhaps just a little tired.
    I’ll go for 21a as my favourite today.
    Thanks to Jay and 2 Kiwis .

36. Jon_S
    Posted March 2, 2016 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

Another gentle, entertaining Wednesday puzzle. The site seems to be working a lot better today, BD. Famous last words… :smile:

37. TheTeesdale2
    Posted March 2, 2016 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

Think tomorrow’s will be a very different kettle of fish! Today we thought 9d was very good, 14a last in. Thanks to the setter, and 2Ks for the hints.

Posted March 2, 2016 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

WHEEEEEEEE. I have just got off the phone after a successful session with a helpful techie person. By changing a couple of DNS settings on our router miraculously we are able to do all the things on the site that we used to. :yahoo: :yahoo:

39. Weekendwanda
    Posted March 2, 2016 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

Looked at it. Thought I could not do any of it. First one in 9d which was useful. Then went in swimmingly until I got to 14a. Never had so many checking letters without a quick solution – but they were nearly all vowels. Nearest I could think of just had the third letter wrong but knew it did not fit the clue. Sorry to say gave up and looked at the hint just in case I was right all the time. Did not want to spend more time on it, having already spent more than on the rest of the puzzle. Only consolation is that this was the last in for several of you. Very clever puzzle thanks Jay and thanks to the two Ks (or 4 Ks) for the hints. For what it is worth I prefer the alternative parsing of 7d as a sail is a canvas and the first part works better in the singular. Also whilst I got 12a easily with the DoB I did not know why the surrounding letters were what they were. I think we have had 20d very recently.

Posted March 2, 2016 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

Blimey – I’ve whizzed past all the numerous comments to land myself here just to say that I’ve rather run out of time and energy so haven’t looked at today’s crossword and have deliberately not read any of it.
    Just so that I don’t sound like a lazy old slag I’ll just tell you all that I have done all the holiday washing and reduced the resulting ironing mountain to an ironing mole hill which will be done tomorrow. I’ve also had lots of friends just popping in to say hello which has been lovely.
    I’m hugely relieved that I’m not doing the hints tomorrow – I’m really a bit of a waste of space at the moment – thanks in advance to pommers – :rose: it will all pass. Not the :rose: to pommers but the waste of space bit!! Oh dear!! Think I might be past my best – off to bed soon . . .

Posted March 2, 2016 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

PS – Hello Kiwis – will be in touch soon :rose: and :heart: to both of you.

• 2Kiwis
        Posted March 2, 2016 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

Hi Kath and welcome home. :bye:

41. Cryptor
    Posted March 2, 2016 at 10:38 pm | Permalink

Although finished quite quickly, I found myself with a great sense of satisfaction after completing this. Good surfaces and some long answers offered some challenge. Great stuff, thanks to all. For what it’s worth, my iPad wouldn’t load the site yesterday. My techie solution, for what it’s worth was to switch off and back on again. Worked well since. :cool:

42. Kitty
    Posted March 3, 2016 at 12:55 am | Permalink

Hard enough to be enjoyable, but generous enough to yield its secrets without too much pain. Except …

… appropriately, I was denied satisfaction at 14a – the checkers teased me with so many possibilities, but the actual word escaped me. Grr!

On the podium, 1a is vying with 11a for the top spot, with the bowler’s thingy popping up alongside to provide an easy chuckle.

Thanks to Jay and the 2Kiwis, and the other two Kiwis. And as always to the blogmaster. I think actually that every comment on the site should also be regarded as an implicit thank you to BD.

43. Tstrummer
    Posted March 3, 2016 at 1:20 am | Permalink

A little more tricky than some Jays of late, but good fun and throughout. Much to like and no grumbles. I’m going for 27a as top of my pops. Ta to Jay and the Ks (and chums) for their efforts. 2*/4*
    PS And thanks too to BD – I always enjoy a burst of computerbabble

44. Nigel
    Posted March 3, 2016 at 8:00 am | Permalink

Some really nice clues, as often the case on Wednesdays. I made reasonable progress but took a while to complete the NW corner. Many thanks to the compiler and the two Kiwis. 3*/4*.