Hints and tips by Deep Threat

BD Rating – Difficulty ***Enjoyment ***

Good morning from South Staffs on a cold and frosty morning. Let’s hope that the work BD and Tim from Evohosting put in yesterday keeps the site up and running today.

A good mixture of clues from Giovanni today, with some very easy and others which caused me some head-scratching. Parsing the last couple of clues took me into *** time.

In the hints below, the definitions are underlined. The answers are hidden under the ‘Click here!’ buttons, so don’t click if you don’t want to see them.

1a           Face Thomas outside hospital, a shadowy figure (7)
PHANTOM – Put together a slang word for the face (according to the BRB – I’ve never heard it used) and a shortened form of Thomas, then wrap the result around the road sign abbreviation for a Hospital.

5a           Boy knocked over told fibs and dawdled (7)
DALLIED – Reverse (knocked over) another word for boy, then add ‘told fibs’.

9a           Celebrity one’s brought in as music-maker (5)
SITAR – An Indian musical instrument. Put the Roman numeral for one inside a celebrity.

Image result for sitar

10a         Criminals? They get signals coming in (9)
RECEIVERS – Double definition, the first being criminals who handle stolen property.

11a         Look — Henry is circling planet! A high-flyer in both senses! (3,7)
AIR MARSHAL – A look or manner and a diminutive form of Henry, placed wither side of one of the planets, to produce a high-ranking officer in the RAF.

12a         Excuse of little creature quiet rather than loud (4)
PLEA – Remove the musical symbol for loud from a small insect, and replace it with the musical symbol for quiet.

14a         How one might categorise fighter that’s knocked out mate with bang (12)
BANTAMWEIGHT – Anagram (knocked out) of MATE WITH BANG.

18a         Trusted assistant not inclined to be sinister (5-4,3)
RIGHT-HAND MAN – This person is presumably not sinister, as in not left-handed.

21a         Maybe watch heartless row (4)
TIER – Remove the middle letter from a word describing the function of a watch or clock.

22a         When ill, eat no plain chocolate (10)
NEAPOLITAN – Anagram (when ill) of EAT NO PLAIN.

25a         One day of the week, when to look to eat cold stew (9)
FRICASSEE – Put together a day of the week, another word for ‘when’, and another verb for ‘look’, then insert Cold.

Image result for fricassee

26a         Brownish ape is on the move (5)
SEPIA – Anagram (on the move) of APE IS.

27a         At the end of day Edward rested (7)
LIGHTED – The feature which distinguishes day from night, with a short form of Edward placed at the end of it.

28a         Have a feeling one may be spotted in sort of parade (7)
SUSPECT – This could also be someone placed on an identity parade.

1d           Easter’s hour off for French philosopher (6)
PASCAL – Remove the Hour from an adjective meaning ‘Easter’s’ to get Blaise, the 17th-century philosopher who said

“Men despise religion. They hate it and are afraid it may be true.”

2d           Plant with minimal nitrogen gets behind (6)
ASTERN – A flowering plant followed by the chemical symbol for nitrogen, giving a nautical term for behind.

3d           Brawlers using language about a good worker (10)
TERMAGANTS – Put together A (from the clue), Good, and a worker insect, then wrap a word for language (especially technical language) around the result.

4d           Symbols offered by man with manifesto in speech (5)
MARKS – These symbols sound like (in speech) the chap who produced the Communist manifesto. This one took me quite a while, because, given where I live, I got stuck on Peel and the Tamworth manifesto.

5d           After month was first to admit intention and gave a talk (9)
DECLAIMED –Wrap a word for ‘was first’ (in a race) around an intention or goal, and add a shortened month of the year to the front.

6d           Set left needing succour (4)
LAID – Put together Left and a word for succour or assistance.

7d           Somehow you go idle abandoning university beliefs (8)
IDEOLOGY – Anagram (somehow) of YO(u) GO IDLE, leaving out the University.

8d           Dislike endless calamity — trembling’s beginning inside (8)
DISTASTE – Remove the final letter from a calamity or catastrophe, and put the first letter of Trembling inside it.

13d         Funny dames still award-winners (10)
MEDALLISTS – Anagram (funny) of DAMES STILL.

15d         To entertain party-goers old rocker went across (9)
TRAVERSED – People who attended the sort of, possibly illegal, musical events which got the politicians so worked up in the 1990s, placed inside a 1950s rocker.

16d         Beholden to have mixture of gruel and fat (8)
GRATEFUL – Anagram (mixture of) GRUEL and FAT.

17d         Corresponding, wasting little time offering a welcome (8)
AGREEING – A (from the clue) and a welcome with the abbreviation for Time removed.

19d         Main element in piece of wire (6)
STAPLE – Double definition: the main part of someone’s diet; or a piece of bent wire used to hold papers together .

Image result for staple

20d         Actually at home, female needs to do something (2,4)
IN FACT – Put together a word for ‘at home’, Female, and to do something.

23d         Word to identify journalist in crowd (5)
PRESS – Double definition, the first being the label traditionally worn by an accredited journalist at an event.

24d         A thousand paintings maybe in business area (4)
MART – The Roman numeral for a thousand followed by something of which painting is an example.

The Quick Crossword pun MISSED + RUSTING = MISTRUSTING

1. Angel
    Posted January 15, 2016 at 11:14 am | Permalink

That’s better, got there today with only minor hiccups. Fav was 28a. Now realise it’s a chestnut but wasn’t really sure about parsing 23d. Thanks Giovanni and DT. ***/**.

• Angel
      Posted January 15, 2016 at 11:25 am | Permalink

Not sure why I became “undefined” after trying to edit my comment to include reference to the fact that my prime hiccup had been in using anagram (“off”) of Easter in 1d to come up with wrong French philosopher however I see I’m now back to “Angel”.

• Angel
        Posted January 15, 2016 at 11:34 am | Permalink

What a clot I am – he’s not even an anagram of Easter!

• Caroline Pollard
          Posted January 15, 2016 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

I did that too! Totally ignored the fact I had an extra ‘e’, only one ‘r’ and no explanation for the ‘h’!

2. Graham
    Posted January 15, 2016 at 11:17 am | Permalink

I messed up SE corner putting copper as the element my only excuse is I’m an electrician? That apart all went swimmingly. Many thanks to the setter & to DT for his review.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_mail.gif

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted January 15, 2016 at 11:37 am | Permalink

I’m not an electrician and I wrote “19d copper?” in the margin, and crossed it out again after I got 22a.

• Miffypops
      Posted January 15, 2016 at 11:46 am | Permalink

I too took the misdirection which held things up a little

• Young Salopian
        Posted January 15, 2016 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

Me too.

• Jose
        Posted January 16, 2016 at 11:41 am | Permalink

MF. I also initially put “copper”. But I’m not sure if was engineered misdirection or merely serendipitous. If the former, then it was brilliant. You’ve got to watch these setters – they can be right crafty beggars!… :smile:

3. Vince
    Posted January 15, 2016 at 11:19 am | Permalink

27a. Although the answer became obvious, I don’t see how we get “light” from “the end of the day”?

• Deep Threat
      Posted January 15, 2016 at 11:23 am | Permalink

We don’t. We get ‘light’ from ‘day’ (as opposed to ‘night’ = ‘dark’), then put Edward at the end of it – which is what I thought I’d said in the hint.

• Vince
        Posted January 15, 2016 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Perhaps I’m being a but thick, but where I can see a link between daytime and light, I don’t understand “at the end of day”. Surely at the end of day, we get night, which isn’t light?!

• Posted January 15, 2016 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

Chambers has “day” as a definition of “light”, but not the other way around. As Deep Threat has said, the clue reads “at the end of light (day) put Ed (Edward) to get a verb meaning rested”. Not one of Giovanni’s best clues.

• Vince
            Posted January 15, 2016 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

I agree, Dave, not one of his best clues!

• Jose
              Posted January 16, 2016 at 11:12 am | Permalink

V. But the clue doesn’t literally refer to “the end of the day” (as in nightfall) at all. The setter has used light as a synonym for day in the answer and added ‘ed’ to “the end of the” synonym. As BD reports, day is given as a definition of light and it is reasonable (certainly in the rather surreal world of cryptic crossword clues) to use it vice versa. To me, this was a fine clue.

• Physicist
            Posted January 15, 2016 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

I think the authority for equating light and day is God himself: Genesis ch,1 v.5 :”And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night.”

• Hrothgar
              Posted January 15, 2016 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Well blow me down with a feather.
              Strike a light
              Light is another word for day.
              You live and learn.

• daveq
                Posted January 15, 2016 at 11:53 pm | Permalink

Since when does lighted mean rested?

• Posted January 16, 2016 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog DaveQ

• Stanleysteamer
                  Posted January 17, 2016 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

think of “alighted” as in “the bird alighted on a branch”

Posted January 15, 2016 at 11:40 am | Permalink

3*/2.5*. Nothing much to add except thanks to Giovanni and to DT.

5. Michael
    Posted January 15, 2016 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

I found this pretty difficult – there were several where I required the blog’s explanation to understand the wordplay – I still don’t understand 1d even with the explanation!

Thanks for that and any further help with 1d would be appreciated – what’s the adjective meaning ‘Easter’s’? – beats me!

• Posted January 15, 2016 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Pasch is Easter (Latin pascha, from Greek pascha, from Hebrew pesach: the Passover) hence paschal, as in paschal candle – a large candle blessed and placed on the altar on the day before Easter.

• Michael
        Posted January 15, 2016 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

er…Of course, Paschal – why didn’t I get that!!!

Is it me being really thick or is this incredibly obscure…. or more likely a Crossworders old chestnut – I’ll remember it next time!

• Jose
          Posted January 16, 2016 at 10:53 am | Permalink

M. No, you’re not being thick at all – it is a pretty obscure clue, unless you are a Jewish person. Also Pascal was probably significantly more renowned (certainly to me) for being a mathematician and physicist than as a philosopher. And that all made it a better clue – more difficult to suss out and solve!

6. Young Salopian
    Posted January 15, 2016 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

3*/3* today. 11 and 18 across probably my favourites in a thoroughly enjoyable puzzle. The candle held me up, not because of the philosopher, but the somewhat obscure word for Easter.

Many thanks to DT and The Don, and special thanks to BD and colleagues for sorting out our access to the site.

• Stanleysteamer
      Posted January 17, 2016 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

Many words in European languages for Easter look like Pascal. Pâques in French, Pascua in Spanish, Pasqua in Italian, Páscoa in Portugese, Paşte in Rumanian, Swedish is Påsk. Somewhat obcure? Maybe, (see comment 33) But the words are mostly in Romance languages. Seeing as how English is a Germanic language, despite the influence of the Romans and the Normans, not all of our words resemble Romance words. For instance the German for Easter is Ostern or Osterfest (Easter festival). Still awake? :yawn:

7. Jane
    Posted January 15, 2016 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

Began by thinking that I’d need the reference books to find an obscure French philosopher and a plant I’d probably never heard of, but it wasn’t to be – both very gentle ones from DG today.
    Thought 27a was a bit of a stretch and also wondered about the rationale for 18a until I read an article about Cesare Lombroso, the father of modern criminology, who asserted that left-handers are more often criminals than honest men. Must warn No. 2 daughter – her fiancé’s a ‘leftie’!
    No stand-out favourite but an enjoyable puzzle.
    Thanks to DG and also to DT for the review and the ‘Phantom’ clip.

• daveq
      Posted January 15, 2016 at 11:57 pm | Permalink

18a – It’s simply that Sinister means left-handed

• Doug
      Posted January 16, 2016 at 10:26 am | Permalink

‘sinister’ comes from the Latin word for left, hence left-hookers are not to be trusted – especially with scissors!!

8. Hanni
    Posted January 15, 2016 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Nothing overly scary from the Don with no real obscurities. Agree with what has been said about 27a.

Liked 4d and 11a.

Nothing much more to add.

Many thanks to Giovanni and to DT for blogging.

Freezing cold but beautiful on the moors.

9. Sheffieldsy
    Posted January 15, 2016 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable fare. In 1d paschal is not a word we’d ever come across, but we got the philosopher as a distant memory from my university days (his triangle, inter alia). Other than that we thought this pretty straightforward so we rate it 2.5*/2*. Whilst we got it, we too felt 27a was a poor clue.

Thanks to DT and Giovanni.

Posted January 15, 2016 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Excellent except for 1d of which part of the clueing is poor as you need to be aware that there is another word for easter which does not show in the BRB, I think this is an incredibly bad clue for that reason. The answer could be found by googling the checking letters. Rant over the rest was tough but fair. Such a shame 1d spoilt it.
    Not familiar with Lighted but I suppose if you can have alighted! 11a was a clever clue but not sure about Air for Look.
    Thx to all.

Posted January 15, 2016 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Brian had the air of someone who had forgotten he was supposed to be looking up words in the dictionary. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

• silvanus
      Posted January 15, 2016 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

The alternative word for Easter, and its adjectival form used here, are both in my BRB.

11. Penky
    Posted January 15, 2016 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

**/**** from me. To call a Ted a Rocker (15d) to his face in the late 60’s would be a sure-fire way to get your head kicked in. Otherwise a pleasant way to spend a sunny but cold day in Devon. Thanks to the Don and DT.

• Michael
      Posted January 15, 2016 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

I think he meant rocker in the sense of rock n’ roll or rockabilly rather than Mods and Rockers.

12. pommers
    Posted January 15, 2016 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

***/*** from me as well. No particular favourite as it was all pretty good stuff. Least favourite was 27a.

Thanks to the Don and DT.

Raining and cold here but I can’t complain as it’s the first proper rain we’ve had since early November.

13. Cornishpasty
    Posted January 15, 2016 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

I started this crossword last night and finished during breakfast this morning, so my subconscious worked on it overnight. It has always fascinated me that clues that were hard become easy and almost jump out at you. Learnt some new words too, the one for Easter and brawlers.
    Fav clue 15d

Posted January 15, 2016 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Giovanni and to Deep Threat for the review and hints. I quite enjoyed this, but found it very difficult. Needed the hints for 1,2,4&5d. Had never heard of Paschal, but knew of Pascal, still couldn’t get it. Missed the anagram in 14a,but got the answer. No Favourites. Was 4*/2* for me. Sun out for a change in Central London.

15. Paso Doble
    Posted January 15, 2016 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

We have been running behind on our puzzles this week and had to catch up on three today. This one from the Don was the toughest but highly enjoyable. A ***/**** from us. Many thanks to Giovanni and to DT for the hints which we needed to parse several answers.

Here is a little something featuring stars who could be described as 22a …

Posted January 15, 2016 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Very nice, no real difficulties except for my spelling, not having a dictionary handy when solving. Funnily enough, I got Fricassee right.
    Thanks Giovanni and DT.

17. silvanus
    Posted January 15, 2016 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

Despite the usual sprinkling of Friday obscurities, I thought this was surprisingly enjoyable on the whole, albeit slightly tricky in places.

I hadn’t encountered the term for “face” in 1a before either, and also had reservations about 27a as has already been mentioned.

I’ll plump for two joint-favourite clues, 14a and 25a.

Many thanks to Deep Threat and to Mr. Manley, and a good weekend to all.

Glad to see that yesterday’s gremlins on the site seem to have disappeared. I tried umpteen times to leave a message but to no avail.

18. Gordon
    Posted January 15, 2016 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

Pleasant solve, no real problems, though I have never heard of Neapolitan = chocolate.
    But no problem with pan = face. You will have heard of deadpan.
    Thanks to both Giovanni and Deep Threat

19. Hilary
    Posted January 15, 2016 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

Firstly deep gratitude to Tim and BD for their hard work to get us back. It felt like the end of the world and civilisation as we know it yesterday. Thanks to the Don and DT for today’s offering, slightly worried by preamble with *** but struggled through with electronic supertoy to help. Hard to pick favourite, have a good weekend everybody. :phew:

Posted January 15, 2016 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

I found this pretty easy UNTIL I got to the NW corner. I never did get 1a, 11a and 1d, and 4d was a bungin. Why did I not get 1d? I new the alternate word for Easter, the Paschal lamb and all that, and I knew the philosopher. Pretty dumb of me, I’d call it.
    Thanks to Giovanni and to DT, without you I’d have spent the rest of the day worrying.

21. JonP
    Posted January 15, 2016 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable puzzle from Mr Manley which did not hold me up for long, although I didn’t know the Easter term (but I do now).

Thanks to DT and Giovanni 1.5*/3.5*

22. Kitty
    Posted January 15, 2016 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

Hmm. Not one of my favouritest Friday puzzles ever, but maybe I just wasn’t in the right mood. Got the answers, but needed to make a few checkettes afterwards. I’ve learnt a couple of things which is always good.

My favourite is 18a. It was also nice to see the 1a shadowy figure.

Thanks to Giovanni and DT.

Posted January 15, 2016 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

A bit of hesitation over 27a was the main hold up with this one. All the rest were things we were familiar with so it all went together smoothly. Enjoyable to solve.
    Thanks Giovanni and DT.

24. Jon_S
    Posted January 15, 2016 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

** time, apart from what turned out to be the relatively straightforward 11ac, which took an age afterwards. Strange which ones you get a mental block on.

25. Killer Watts
    Posted January 15, 2016 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

A nice puzzle, but like many others I wasn’t on the ball with 27 a, though I of course put in the correct solution. I’ll put it down to experience I guess.
    The only one I didn’t complete was one down, though familiar with this philosopher, I am stumped even now.

***/***. Thanks to all.

• Jane
      Posted January 15, 2016 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

Hi KW,
      See BD’s comment at No. 5 for the meaning of Paschal – then you need to remove the abb. for hour (H) and you’re left with the philosopher.

• Killer Watts
        Posted January 15, 2016 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Jane. I must confess to this being a new word to me, I hope I can store it in some recess for future use !

Posted January 15, 2016 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

Obviously no problem with 1d for me.
    In France Easter is Paques and the Don is also Pasquale elsewhere.
    Only had to check the list of boxing categories as I didn’t know 14a and noticed the anagram a bit too late.
    Very enjoyable solve.
    Thanks to Giovanni and to DT for the review.
    Amazing what Uri Geller can do with staples by just looking at them.

27. Gwizz
    Posted January 15, 2016 at 8:33 pm | Permalink

The more obscure stuff made this a tricky solve for me and I needed a few ‘bung-ins’ to complete. Most of these obscure clues have been commented on already so I won’t go into detail. However with the grey cells working overtime get there we did!
    No particular faves and 3/3* overall.
    Thanks to the Don, and DT for his review explaining all.
    Oh and hooray! The site is back in all its glory. Congrats BD. :good:

28. Whybird
    Posted January 15, 2016 at 10:55 pm | Permalink

Ho hum. A curate’s egg today. Liked 28, and 1d was satisfyingly tricky – makes me think of lamb, but I guess it is not supposed to be culinary. However, I didn’t like the face bit of 1a (but what else could it be), I’m not happy about “in both senses” in 11a, and thought 27a was very weak. And I managed to get 4d wrong, but not fatally, given that I got stuck on Morse and Mores, which I can see is not as good as the correct answer, but seems no more imprecise than some answers in crosswordland. Despite the grumbles, and they are always easier to write about, I enjoyed it. Thanks to DG for the challenge, and DT for the enlightenment.

29. GrumpyAlan
    Posted January 15, 2016 at 11:17 pm | Permalink

Overall enjoyable enough – 6.5*/8*

• Posted January 16, 2016 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog GrumpyAlan

Posted January 15, 2016 at 11:22 pm | Permalink

I rather enjoyed this; call it 2*/3.5*. Favourite clue was either 1a or 15d, but the anagram at 14a was satisfying as well. Thanks to the Don and DT.

31. Vancouverbc
    Posted January 16, 2016 at 4:49 am | Permalink

Lots of delays for me so thanks to DT for the hints which were needed. Thanks also to the setter who got the upper hand today.

32. Tstrummer
    Posted January 16, 2016 at 10:44 pm | Permalink

Came up to the ice-bound boat after work on Friday night and it was as cold as a well-diggers arse in here, so spent the time building the fire and keeping my gloves on. Got round to it this evening after the SPP. Ok, but not startling, and a bit on the easy side for the Don. Still, I thank him and DT for their efforts. 1.5*/3*

• Jane
      Posted January 16, 2016 at 10:55 pm | Permalink

‘well-diggers arse’?!!! That’s a new one for me.

33. Stanleysteamer
    Posted January 17, 2016 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

1d. Got it quickly because I knew P***** was a French philosopher and the french for Easter is Paques. (There should be a circumflex accent over the a in “Paques” which I cannot be bothered to find out how to insert BUT it does tell you that in old french an “S” would have come after the “a” giving Pasques.) From which we get the name, (think of Joe P). So I was completely stuffed as to where the “h” that you had to remove, would have been in the first place! Ph*****? P**h***? P***h**? Had to look in the dictionary to find the right one! One thing about crosswords is I do improve my vocabulary with words I cannot insert into everyday conversation! Otherwise not too difficult. (Got 14a without realising the presence of the anagram, what an idiot I am.)