ST 2822 (Hints)

Sunday Telegraph Cryptic No 2822 (Hints)

Hints and tips by Big Dave

As is usual for the weekend prize crosswords, a number of the more difficult clues have been selected and hints provided for them.

Some hints follow:

1a    Reach conclusion in essay with it (6)
A three-letter verb meaning to reach a conclusion inside an essay or attempt gives an adjective meaning “with it”

8a    Last drink  that may go to one’s head (8)
Two definitions – the second being something that could be worn on one’s head

11a    Expression of disapproval during this speech is stated twice (4)
A trademark Virgilius clue in which the answer is hidden (during) inside four words in the clue, not once but twice

13a    Deadly gunman –- note small nose (12)
A note that has been raised by a semitone followed by S(mall) and a colloquial word for a nose

20a    View Surrealist works by European producing shock (10)
A verb meaning to view or examine followed by a word that represent the works of a Surrealist painter, as in “the gallery has several ***** in its collection”, and E(uropean) gives the English spelling of a verb meaning to shock or outrage

22a    Asian garment‘s bargain price – about a rupee (6)
A bargain price, as in “going for a ****” around the A from the clue and R(upee)

24a    Record-holder with advantage, right on line (6)
An advantage and R(ight) preceded by (on in an across clue) L(ine)

25a    Spirit that’s kind and friendly in the extreme (6)
A kind or make of product followed by the final letter (in the extreme) of [friendl]Y

1d    Misplaced wit, lacking seriousness in period of decline (8)
An anagram (misplaced) of WIT followed by an adjective meaning lacking seriousness

3d    Noble endlessly expected to join game with kings and queens (7)
A three-letter word meaning expected without (endlessly) its final letter followed by a game which includes kings and queens among its pieces

5d    Isn’t inserting pages –- nothing is put in (7)
A colloquial way of saying isn’t around a couple of P(age)s and O (nothing) gives a verb meaning to put in to a job

7d    Reason to include one piece of writing that’s fanciful (6)
A word meaning, when used as a noun, a reason or explanation around I (one) and our usual two-letter piece of writing

9d    Quietly move on, for example (11)
The musical notation for quietly followed by a verb meaning to move to a new place gives a part of speech of which “on” is an example

14d    Outlaw‘s to commit crime with head covered (5,4)
A verb meaning to commit a particular crime followed by a phrase (2,4) meaning with head covered in a specific garment

15d    Rally in Rome initially extremely supportive of Italian author (8)
The initial letter of R[ome] followed by an adverb meaning extremely, the latter being preceded by (supportive of in a down clue) the three-letter surname of an Italian author

21d    Enjoyment around outskirts of Tokyo, something for relaxation of Japanese (5)
Some enjoyment around the outer letters (outskirts) of T[oky]O

Today it’s Happy Birthday to Petula Clark (83)
Image result for Petula Clark

For the benefit of those who have been given the wrong puzzle, a pdf can be downloaded from here.

1. Young Salopian
    Posted November 15, 2015 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Hot off the press- Saturday iPad puzzle downloadable in yesterday’s edition.

• Mike
      Posted November 15, 2015 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

Yesterday’s crossword was a repeat of last week’s, same thing today (iPad version).

• Attila the Hun
        Posted November 15, 2015 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

They now include the solution to last week’s prize puzzle, least ways they did last weekend. But this weekend they’ve screwed up and only published the solution. By “solution” I mean that it shows last week’s puzzle with your answers and indicates whether it was correct or not.

• Toni
      Posted November 15, 2015 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the tip.
      Just copied it out and submitted it.

• Young Salopian
        Posted November 15, 2015 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

Having just completed yesterday’s puzzle in double quick time, I am convinced that difficulty is inversely proportional to the amount of time available to complete it. So all afternoon free equals a walk in the park puzzle. Still fun though, and a 1/3 from me with belated thanks to the setter and BD. No thanks to the online DT management who offer no explanation or apology to their loyal digital customers. You wouldn’t have thought it was beyond their remit or intelligence to e-mail us a copy or the aforementioned explanation/apology.

• George
          Posted November 15, 2015 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

I never have a problem on my PC.

• Boltonbabs
            Posted November 15, 2015 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

I have both the correct Saturday and Sunday puzzles on my iPad now. I emailed the DT crossword editor yesterday and got a very courteous and rapid reply. He sent me a pdf of the Saturday puzzle and explained that the upset was due to the updates installed last week, which give access to the answers on the day. I must say I felt sorry for the chap.

• Young Salopian
              Posted November 15, 2015 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

That’s good info. I still maintain it is for them to contact us, not the other way around, but thanks for your efforts. Much appreciated.

• Nigel Baker
      Posted November 15, 2015 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Sorry, YS. Are you saying you managed to get a cryptic puzzle this weekend. I can only get last weeks?

Update – Yes the iPad version has been fixed. Better late than never

• Young Salopian
        Posted November 15, 2015 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Yes I got both this morning. Initially there were only last week’s solutions, but suddenly both editions redownloaded of their own volition, and subsequently both puzzles appeared. Weird I know, but it happened. If you build it, they will come……..

2. Young Salopian
    Posted November 15, 2015 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

I really enjoyed today’s offering. 15d and 25a my last clues to complete. I thought some of the clues were quite hard to work out, but that just made it more enjoyable. 3/4 for me, with thanks all round.

Posted November 15, 2015 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

2*/5*. Splendid entertainment from our Sunday supremo! My page is littered with asterisks, but my short list of goodies today is 8a, 16a, 9d, 14d & 19d. My only question is regarding 18d. Why does abandoned indicate an anagram?

Many thanks as ever to Virgilius and to BD.

4. Graham Wall
    Posted November 15, 2015 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Again not disappointed with the Sunday offering, as Sunday as roast beef. I found the bottom half a tad more difficult than the top. My rating is **/**** My favourite was 16A such a simple but at the same time devious clue. Thanks to BD for sacrificing part of his Sunday for the benefit of us all.

5. JonP
    Posted November 15, 2015 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

I found the top half to be a write-in but was slowed up in the bottom half. It didn’t take too long to figure out though and most enjoyable it was too. Thanks to BD and Virgilius **/****

Posted November 15, 2015 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

I thought this was difficult – I certainly took a long time to get started.
    Very few anagrams which always ups the level of difficulty, for me anyway.
    Being slow to get the two long across answers,13 and 16a, and the long one down the middle, 9d, all slowed things up a lot.
    I missed the rather unusual anagram indicator in 18d.
    I couldn’t get a different word for a bargain out of my head which didn’t help with 22a.
    I think 21d’s are terrible things!
    I liked 16a and 9 and 19d. My favourite was 14d which I thought was brilliant.
    With thanks to Virgilius and to BD.

7. dutch
    Posted November 15, 2015 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

Lovely Virgilius as usual. I liked the clever def in 5d, “quietly move on” in 9d, “in between two vessels” in 16a, and many more

thanks BD for the review

8. stanXYZ
    Posted November 15, 2015 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Today’s Virgilius took me twice as long as usual … no complaints … double enjoyment!

One quibble …. 15d … this italian author crops up quite often in crosswords … but has anyone ever read his works?

Favourite today: the trademark Virgilian 11a.

• jean-luc cheval
      Posted November 15, 2015 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Oh yes.
      Specially the one turned into that wonderful movie with Sean Connery and Christian Slater.

Posted November 15, 2015 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

It was quite a tussle but got there eventually.
    Learned a new musical note in 13a.
    Glad that the Italian writer in 15d was the only one I knew.
    Liked the description of Surrealist works in 20a.
    Favourites are 8 and 16a.
    Thanks to Virgilius and to BD for the blog.

Posted November 15, 2015 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

I found it really quite difficult and had very few in when I finally “saw” 2d. That helped.
    Id ,3d, 13a and others had almost successful misleading elements. Even 21a , which I have seen before less well disguised , took a moment or three to unravel.I think it is the smooth surfaces which mislead so well.
    13a is my favourite and I also liked 1a,1d and 21a,21d.
    Thanks Virgilius and BD.

11. Paso Doble
    Posted November 15, 2015 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

I had to do this on my own today because the prettier half of l’equipe Paso Doble has gone with a friend to a car boot sale in Battersea.
    We’re trying to get rid of, for a profit, loads of stuff that was gathering dust in the attic.

I agree with Rabbit Dave that it was a brilliant puzzle from Virgilius but I didn’t get through it without a bit of head scratching.

Therefore, ***/*****

Thanks again to Virgilius and to BD for the hints.

12. Mike
    Posted November 15, 2015 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

Just got an updated edition with the crossword included. No Christopher Booker or Simon Heffer columns in the Comment section though. Either they didn’t write columns or the iPad version of the paper is still missing some content.

• Young Salopian
      Posted November 15, 2015 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Heffer is in the News section. No Booker to be seen. The predictive text on the iPad gave me Hefner – quite a different person.

• Mike
        Posted November 15, 2015 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the info, still don’t know if Booker wrote a column this week though, perhaps he’s away.

13. Posted November 15, 2015 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

In case anyone is still having trouble accessing this puzzle, I’ve added a link to a pdf at the bottom of the hints (and for yesterday;s puzzle at the bottom of yesterday’s hints). These links will be removed once I have been assured that normal service has been resumed.

14. Hilary
    Posted November 15, 2015 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

First 2 passes yielded nothing so I took CS’s advice and did something else, when I returned things started to drop into place but I have to own up to a fair amount of electronic help. 21d raised a smile but 16a was my favourite today. Lovely day now after dingy start. Hope weekend going well for you. Sincere thanks to Virgilius and BD without you my weekend would be a lot less enjoyable.

15. gnomethang
    Posted November 15, 2015 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

I loved 16a which was worth the subscription alone. like others I found the top half going straight in and plenty of head scratching solved the bottom. half.
    Thanks Virgilius!

Posted November 15, 2015 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

I always look forward to Sunday Virgilius. His puzzles are always so fair.
    I spent far too long on 16a, how clever is that, and I bunged 5d in so needed BD to remind me of the Italian author, I don’t think I’ll ever remember him.
    Now for a fave, very difficult, but I loved 7d, 9d and 14d, among others.
    Thanks to Virgilius and BD.

Posted November 15, 2015 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

Correction: I did mean 15d, not 5d re the Italian author.

17. Kitty
    Posted November 15, 2015 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

I was embarrassingly slow today. In fact, I put it aside, got on with some other things and came back to it much later. That did the trick.

I’m not even going to try and pick a favourite, because there are far too many contenders. A truly great puzzle.

Thanks to Virgilius, to BD for the hints, and in advance to CS and Gnomey for the full weekend reviews.

18. Cornishpasty
    Posted November 15, 2015 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

When I printed this puzzle last night my first reaction was help help I can get any. Then this morning while eating breakfast was able to do most and finished at lunch. Needed the hints to explain 15d as had never heard of that author. Thought the compiler missed an opportunity for levity if not bawdiness with 25a.

Most enjoyable.

19. Mike
    Posted November 15, 2015 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

I haven’t seen anything from Christopher Booker in the print edition. He is either on holiday or the global warming, sorry I mean climate change lobby have silenced him.

• Young Salopian
      Posted November 15, 2015 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

I recognise a fellow conspiracy theorist when I see one. Have you checked out the website? It is frankly scary the limits that the warmest lobby will go to convince the rest of the world that the billions in subsidy are worth while. Even doctoring scientific data is apparently acceptable. I understand that you shouldn’t believe everything you read, but equally, why believe everything you are told?

Posted November 15, 2015 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

I did think this was a bit more challenging than usual, but definitely up there for enjoyment. 10, 16A and 9D were top of my tree. Thanks Vigilius and BD.

Anyone know the novelist in the quickie?

Posted November 15, 2015 at 8:40 pm | Permalink

Definitely harder in the bottom half, but 2*/4* looks about right to me. As for a favourite clue, I’m torn between 1a and 15d. 14d gets an honourable mention, but only because I love the film (surely you can’t send me to the naughty corner for that, BD, the picture accompanying the hint has surely given it away already!). Thanks to Virgilius, and to BD for the hints.

• Posted November 15, 2015 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

Only a pretty boring outlaw would not have had a film made about his life!

22. Angel
    Posted November 16, 2015 at 2:09 am | Permalink

Got around to this late – once my house-guest had retired to bed. I’m with Kath on two counts. I too found this quite testing but felt a sense of achievement when I realised I had finished it and 14d was also Fav for me. Thanks Virgilius and BD. ****/***.

23. Gwizz
    Posted November 16, 2015 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

Excellent Sunday crossword as… dare I say it? …as usual. 3/4* overall and like many others 14d was my favourite.
    Thanks to Virgilius and BD for the hints.

24. Faraday
    Posted November 17, 2015 at 8:01 am | Permalink

Started late on Monday due to iPad problems and finished it off this morning. Very enjoyable and I probably used up more of my diminishing number of brain cells than usual. Thank you BD for the kipper pate recipe last week. Very nice!?