DT 27947 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 27947 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Saturday Crossword Club

Many thanks to Tilsit and crypticsue for helping out over the last two Saturdays when I was in London and then York.

Some hints follow.

1a Trick by internet pest to meet that female cockney financial supervisor (10)
A three-letter trick followed by an internet pest and the pronoun for “that female” without the H, as spoken by a cockney

8a Dismiss when scores are level (3,5)
Split as (3,1,4) this could indicate that the scores are level in a game of tennisd

10a Psychotic called to visit 27 (8)
First solve 27 Across, then insert (to visit) a verb meaning called

11a Where entry takes us — no entry for a saint? (6)
Drop the initial letter from the name of a saint

14a Front occluded by stormy rain — bliss! (7)
The front of, say, an army inside (occluded by) an anagram (stormy) of RAIN

20a Apparently we can’t avoid this responsibility (4)
… because it is ** ** (2,2)

23a How to stand, relaxing a rib (2,4)
The A from the clue followed by a verb meaning to rib or make fun of

25a Money received in advance? (6)
The IN from the clue followed by a verb meaning to advance or move towards

28a Stated aim by ‘Bony’, in formation of three lines (10)
What sounds like an aim or intent followed by an adjective meaning bony

1d Cowhands replaced money on the spot (4,4)
An anagram (replaced) of COWHANDS

2d Temper shown by Nationalist meeting English banker (6)
NAT(ionalist) followed by an English banker/river

5d Timber grew over court and died (8)
A verb meaning grew or increased followed by (over in a down clue) a verb meaning to court a young lady and D(ied)

7d Concrete Belgian mixed, with tons over (8)
To get this adjective meaning concrete, an anagram (mixed) of BELGIAN is preceded by (with … over in a down clue) T(ons)

15d Case not out of position (8)
A two-letter word meaning the opposite (not) of out followed by a position or posture

17d Nobody let out it’s a damp squib (3-5)
A four-letter word meaning nobody followed by a verb meaning to let out

21d Going down having wrong entry in ship’s record (6)
Insert (having … entry) a wrong into a ship’s record

22d Shakespearean  firearm (6)
Two definitions – a swaggering soldier who appears in three plays by William Shakespeare and a small firearm

The Crossword Club is now open.  I’ll be at the Village Café and Market this morning sampling Gwen’s delicious coffee cake – back at lunchtime!

The Quick Crossword pun: yew+crane+ian=Ukrainian

1. Angel
    Posted October 31, 2015 at 10:29 am | Permalink

No pain again this Saturday. Last to go in was NE corner. Can’t believe only one I couldn’t parse was 11a and I went to the eponymous school although that is spelt with a “u” rather than an “i”. Faute de mieux I will settle for 8a as Fav. Thanks Mr. Ron and BD. **/**. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_neutral.gif

• Angel
      Posted October 31, 2015 at 10:52 am | Permalink

Go Go Go The All Blacks! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gifhttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

• Collywobbles
        Posted October 31, 2015 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

Back to NZ

• Caravaggio
        Posted October 31, 2015 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

I was going to post this comment separately but, as I concur with most of what Angel has said, I am going to endorse her entreaty to the All Blacks and say that, while I predicted months ago that the Webb Ellis trophy would return to New Zealand, their performance against France was sublime and none of us who saw their rugby that night will ever forget it.

• 2Kiwis
        Posted October 31, 2015 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

• 2Kiwis
          Posted October 31, 2015 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

Posted October 31, 2015 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

You all know that I know nothing – do I assume that NZ aka All Blacks won? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

• Jane
              Posted October 31, 2015 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

Think they must have done, Kath!

• Angel
          Posted October 31, 2015 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

Congratulations and Jubilations All Blacks/Kiwis. What a performance and a victory richly deserved. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gifhttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gifhttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_whistle3.gifhttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_whistle3.gif

2. Geoff. S.
    Posted October 31, 2015 at 10:52 am | Permalink

I enjoyed today’s prize puzzle. Nothing too ‘off the wall’. Had to look up the Shakespeare character as I hadn’t heard of him. I got 28a but until I looked here I wasn’t sure how it came about. Favourite was 16d.
    Many thanks to you and the setter.

Posted October 31, 2015 at 11:23 am | Permalink

Pretty much a “read and write”.
    Only had to look up the Shakespeare ref too.
    Liked 3d ( feel indignation) the most.
    Thanks to the Saturday setter and nice to see BD back on the blogging chair.

Posted October 31, 2015 at 11:55 am | Permalink

I thought this was a good one and only had a few minor problems.
    28a took me the longest to understand although the answer had to be what it was.
    Can’t quite make the first letter of 16d mean a handful – the only thing I can think of is something that will probably get me sent to the naughty corner if I say it.
    Shakesperean characters are not one of my specialties so had to check him.
    I liked 9 and 11a and my favourite was 6a.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and to BD.

Posted October 31, 2015 at 11:56 am | Permalink

PS Do we get a new MPP this weekend or not until next week?

Posted October 31, 2015 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Next week. It isn’t November yet

Posted October 31, 2015 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

. . . but it is tomorrow so wasn’t sure.

• Cryptor
      Posted October 31, 2015 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

16d The first letter is the Roman numeral for how many fingers you’ve got on one hand.

• Angel
        Posted October 31, 2015 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

A bit tenuous I thought. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_confused.gif

Posted October 31, 2015 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

I agree.

Posted October 31, 2015 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

Thank you – you’re very brave – that’s what I thought but also thought that it wasn’t worth spending the afternoon in the naughty corner!

• Banksie
          Posted October 31, 2015 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

As in ” a bunch of fives” …no?

• Collywobbles
      Posted October 31, 2015 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

Can you help me with 6a Kath

Posted October 31, 2015 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

Hmmm – I’ll try but it could be a tricky one to give a hint for without the beady-eyed ones sending me off to the naughty corner.
        Attack it from two different directions. The answer is a spa town (naughty corner, I’m already on my way!) – just think of a few and you’ll probably get it – you wouldn’t want to be seen in it unless you were on pretty good terms with whoever was with you!

• Collywobbles
          Posted October 31, 2015 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Got it straight away Kath. Good hint. I’ll go to the naughty corner for you. Last one in, thanks Kath

• Alex
      Posted October 31, 2015 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Took me a while too. Think fingers then go Roman numerals

• Posted October 31, 2015 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Alex

Please be careful when starting a hint with “think” – this one is OK, but often it prefixes an alternative clue.

5. Cryptor
    Posted October 31, 2015 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

** difficulty for me. SW corner last to fall. Lots of ‘Bung it in and work out why afterwards’ so *** enjoyment for making me think. Thanks to all.

6. Paso Doble
    Posted October 31, 2015 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Really enjoyed this puzzle – great fun. Many thanks to Mr Ron & BD.

Posted October 31, 2015 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

An NTSPP Hieroglyph alphabetical puzzle – my favourite http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif even though they drive me absolutely mad and it means I almost certainly won’t get as much done in the garden as I’d intended. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

8. dutch
    Posted October 31, 2015 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

Solved quickly, but hardly a trivial puzzle. Congratulations to anyone who worked out 16d just from the wordplay.

My favourite was 6d Singer in pub…(!). Also very much liked 9a (season well – sometimes the simplest ones are the most elegant) and 7d (concrete Belgian…Belgians always make me laugh)

Not sure how much I’m looking forward to an alphabetical puzzle, will see.

many thanks setter and Big Dave

9. Michael
    Posted October 31, 2015 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

I thought this was pretty tricky which is unusual for a Saturday – could be a ‘Puzzle in the wrong envelope’ job – but great when I finally finished it!

Big day of sport today – Chelsea v Liverpool at the moment (currently 1 -1 – a draw written all over it) and the Rugby World Cup Final later – you can’t really see beyond New Zealand but you never know!

I went to the Olympic Stadium last night for the South Africa v Argentina game (3rd/4th place playoff is definitely a bad idea – a plate for the first round losers would be much better) anyway it was a test for me and my brother to see what our seats will be like for West Ham next year and to try out the journey. The train journey to Stratford took 50 minutes but it took me 35 minutes to get from Stratford station to the Olympic Stadium and getting back to Stratford was a real nightmare – hey-Ho!

10. Young Salopian
    Posted October 31, 2015 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

I pretty much concur with all that has been said above about this enjoyable puzzle. No real dramas, just a pleasant stroll through. 16d my favourite. 2/3 for me with thanks to our setter and BD.

Hard to believe the Rugby World Cup is coming to an end, even if it did feel like a five week, forty plus game competition to find out who the All Blacks will beat in the final. Hugely enjoyable, well supported and great entertainment. A real pleasure to see players respecting the officials (Scottish players perhaps understandingly upset against Australia), with generally sensible use of available technology. If only the round ball game could be as honourable. Fat chance I fear.

• Michael
      Posted October 31, 2015 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

Yes, the use of the TMO in the first game was a bit ridiculous but after that the ‘authorities’ quickly learned and it’s use has been brilliant throughout the rest of the Tournament. Overall it’s been a fantastic tournament with the only downer has been England’s performance, the Burgess decision was ridiculous and why they don’t allow foreign-based players is beyond me!

• Young Salopian
        Posted October 31, 2015 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

I’m sure they will now the stable door has been bolted as the horse disappears over the horizon.

• Brian
      Posted October 31, 2015 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

Don’t be daft, you are dealing with the FA and Platini, the last thing they seem to want is correct decisions in football http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

11. Vancouverbc
    Posted October 31, 2015 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

**/***. Delayed start as awarding the prizes for a charity five a side cup named after me to raise money for the United Way which raised $1500. Very satisfying! NE corner last to yield. Thanks to the setter and BD for the review.

Posted October 31, 2015 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Good puzzle! The only one I had a problem with was 11a. I had the answer, what else could it be? Forgot the Saint completely.
    Fave was 16a, but I also liked 22d.
    Thanks to setter, and to BD for the hints and explanation for 11a.

13. Florence
    Posted October 31, 2015 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

Family just left so was able to sit down with a much needed cup of tea. Slow start, but then managed to get going. Only stuck on 2d for a short while as I tried to remember what the last word meant, and finally the penny dropped. Must commit it to memory. Thanks to setter and to BD. Many favourites today…..5d,11a, 18a and 2a. Rate 3*/3*

• Florence
      Posted October 31, 2015 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Typo ..20a !!

14. Drapdor
    Posted October 31, 2015 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

I am a beginner and started learning how to do cryptic puzzles this week with the help of this site, which really has been a great help. I enjoyed doing the puzzle today and was amazed that I finished it!
    My favourites were the ones that came naturally, 6a, 9a, 27a and 3d. I also liked 6d though it took more work.
    The more elaborate clues are still a struggle, especially esoteric ones like the last part of 2d.
    Thank you very much to the setter, Big Dave and the site.

Posted October 31, 2015 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Welcome Drapdor and well done.

• Florence
      Posted October 31, 2015 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the site Drapdor.

• Drapdor
        Posted October 31, 2015 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

Thank you Crypticsue and Florence!

• Jane
          Posted October 31, 2015 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Welcome indeed – but I hope you realise that your moniker puts you in grave danger of becoming known as Trapdoor! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

Posted October 31, 2015 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

Welcome from me too – if you don’t understand something all you need to do is ask and someone will reply, usually in a few minutes. Please keep commenting. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

15. Leveret
    Posted October 31, 2015 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Yippee! first for ages without having to resort to dictionary, Chambers or this site for hints. You xword buffs really do have to have an enormous ‘inside knowledge’. I’ve come across ‘flower’ before but never ‘banker’!

Posted October 31, 2015 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

Top half no real problem but the bottom half asked a few more questions.
    All in all very enjoyable and the best clue for me by far was 22d, esp given the recent anniversary.
    Not too sure about 6a.
    Thx to all.

Posted October 31, 2015 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

RD is very quiet – I think I can say with confidence that we’re all thinking of him. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif

• Jane
      Posted October 31, 2015 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

You certainly can. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cry.gif

Posted October 31, 2015 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

Have been all day!

I did mention the other day but don’t know if you saw it, if you google Rick Stein Chalky, you will get his obit for Chalky. He quotes are poem by Kipling that is so moving and so right, but we keep on trying.

Posted November 1, 2015 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

Sorry I should have replied to you sooner – thank you and yes I did – oh dear – http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cry.gif

18. Tstrummer
    Posted October 31, 2015 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

The stag weekend continues, although we’ve all been given a couple of hours downtime before heading out for the fleshpots later, so I romped through this over a cup of tea. Very straightforward, I thought – perhaps too straightforward – with no stumbling blocks, which detracted a bit from the enjoyment factor, so I’ll give it 1*/2* only. Now for a quick shower, shave and 2 paracetamols. See you again on Monday … If I make it back alive

Posted October 31, 2015 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

Quite enjoyable, and perhaps a little trickier than the usual Saturday cryptic. Just into 2* time for difficulty, and 3* for satisfaction. Favourite was 22d, which l saw straight away, but l can’t say why without coming close to giving it away! Thanks to the setter, and to Big Dave.

20. Badger
    Posted October 31, 2015 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

SW corner held me up a bit,but some good clues eg 28a, and 14a, but a few tenuous ones.
    Held up by Rugby final -which was a classic – pity England (or the other Brit Isles clubs) haven’t learned how to keep up….

21. Legin
    Posted November 1, 2015 at 9:55 am | Permalink

Only a week will tell but I think I may have just completed my first Telegraph Cryptic. I just wanted to thank all those who have helped me by unravelling the clues on this site over the last few months.

• Posted November 1, 2015 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Legin

Keep it up – we like hearing stories like this!

22. Gwizz
    Posted November 1, 2015 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

Nothing to scare the horses in this crossword!
    No real favourites and 1/2* overall.
    Thanks to the setter and BD for the hints.

Posted November 1, 2015 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and to Big Dave for the hints. A very enjoyable puzzle, that seemed to be 4 mini puzzles. Last to fall was the NE corner. I really enjoyed this, was quite tricky. Favourite was 28a. Last in was 7d. Late commenting because of Telegraph delivery problems in London.