DT 27935 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 27935 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Saturday Crossword Club
Hosted by Tilsit

Morning all!

While the gang are away in that London, I’m going to babysit things for the next couple of weekends.

Incidentally if you are bored today once you have finished this enjoyable puzzle, one of my puzzles is the General Knowledge Jumbo challenge in the Independent.  There is a prize for completing the puzzle, and one for getting the link between three of the answers, and the prize is very upmarket chocolate!

Incidentally, special good wishes go to everyone taking part in the Times Crossword Championships today, can anyone defeat the perennial champion Mark Goodliffe?  I think he might have a challenger or two this year.  A few of our brothers and sisters from these parts are taking part and extra special wishes to them!

Some hints follow.

ACROSS

3a  Number touring notice pub, shabby in appearance (10)
A word that means tatty or shabby is found by taken a small number and inserting a word for a notice or advertisement and one for a type of pub.

8 a Nurse, not hot in shady garden alcove (6)
A word meaning to nurse, or to hold or keep needs to lose its first letter to give you a type of bower or shady garden feature.

11a  Football League initially probing Premier League club complaint? (3,3)
The name for an illness, one very much of the 21st Century, is revealed by taking the abbreviated name of a certain Premier League Club and inserting the initial letters of Football League.

14a  South American, extremely sensitive, explains barking dog (6,7)
You are looking for a breed of dog, and in truth, I’d never heard of it!  Take the abbreviations for South and American, add the first and last letters of sensitive, and then an anagram (barking) of EXPLAINS.

20a  Awful baloney about one beheaded knight and queen (4,6)
The name of a famous royal wife is revealed by taking  anagram (awful) of baloney and inserting the word one without its first letter (beheaded) and after this, placing the chess notation for a knight.

21a   Expert came across, over for the time being (3,3)
A Latin expression meaning for the time being is shown by taking a short word meaning an expert or professional, and adding a word for came across, reversed.

24a  Prepared drainage for shrub (8)
The name for a type of shrub is an anagram (prepared) of drainage.

101815_1429_2.jpg

26a  Poor speed by back (6-4)
A way of describing something inferior is found by taking a way of describing a speed and adding something that means back.  Wasn’t over happy with this clue (or the explanation!).

DOWN

1d  He and I, for example, in favour of sisters keeping nothing (8)
What ‘he’ and ‘I’ are examples of, is your definition.  A Latin word that means on behalf of, takes the name gives to some religious sisters.  Insert into this word O for nothing and hey presto!

2d  Likewise, Conservative admires Greek philosopher (8)
The name of a famous Greek who killed himself by drinking hemlock is found by taking a short word meaning likewise, adding the abbreviation for Conservative and then adding something that means admires or scores something.

5d  Husband brought in a meek person to meet artist in palace (8)
The name of a famous palace is needed and you need to put H for husband inside A and the name for someone meek or timid.  Add to this the standard crossword abbreviation for an artist.

6d  Smart, supporter at home — and away, ultimately (6)
A synonym for smart is needed.  You can find it by taking the word for a type of supporter, in the ladies’ clothing sense (!) and adding IN (at home) and the last letter of AWAY.

15d  Inspected fabric cut up (8)
In down clues, up can be used as a reversal indicator.  Here you need the name of a fabric (associated with jeans) and a word meaning cut or chop and reversing them both to give a word meaning inspected.

18d  Sophisticated former pope, last to pontificate (6)
The name of eight different popes has the last letter of pontificate after it to give a word meaning suave or sophisticated.

The Crossword Club is now open.

The Quick Crossword pun: stay+tusk+woe = Status Quo

1. Collywobbles
    Posted October 17, 2015 at 10:15 am | Permalink | Reply

Many thanks for getting it out early Tilsit. Now I can get it done before the rugby. But how do we open the pictures

• Collywobbles
      Posted October 17, 2015 at 11:24 am | Permalink | Reply

Can anyone help. I’ve just got ‘imgres jpg’ and no picture and this is new to me. Perhaps it is just on my attachment

• Rabbit Dave
        Posted October 17, 2015 at 11:56 am | Permalink | Reply

Collywobbles, I can’t see the pictures either :sad:

• Collywobbles
          Posted October 17, 2015 at 12:08 pm | Permalink | Reply

Come on Tilsit, tell us what to do otherwise I’ll miss the rugby

• Collywobbles
            Posted October 17, 2015 at 2:11 pm | Permalink | Reply

Anybody?

• Posted October 18, 2015 at 4:33 pm | Permalink | Reply

The images were never uploaded – probably a problem with Apple software!

I have added them today.

2. Colmce
    Posted October 17, 2015 at 10:25 am | Permalink | Reply

Telegraph numpties still making this more difficult than it should be on iPad. Fed up of providing feedback on problems and receiving anodyne replies.

Thanks for hints which give correct numeration.

• Hrothgar
      Posted October 17, 2015 at 1:37 pm | Permalink | Reply

DT’s IT is a long-standing joke.

• Ade
        Posted October 18, 2015 at 12:06 pm | Permalink | Reply

They are clueless :)

Any chance someone could get on here early and post up the multi words till said numpties have fixed it?

3. Joe
    Posted October 17, 2015 at 10:28 am | Permalink | Reply

The iPad edition doesn’t have the multi-word clues split out (ie. 12a calls for a 10 letter answer rather than 4,3,3). Made for a rather challenging solve today!

• Gazza
      Posted October 17, 2015 at 12:02 pm | Permalink | Reply

Welcome to the blog, Joe.

Posted October 17, 2015 at 10:34 am | Permalink | Reply

2*/2*. Dull and over Legoed. Roll on tomorrow! Thanks to setter and to Tilsit.

5. Maffers
    Posted October 17, 2015 at 10:35 am | Permalink | Reply

Hi thanks for stepping in but just wondered how we get to see the images? Thanks

• Gazza
      Posted October 17, 2015 at 12:03 pm | Permalink | Reply

Welcome to the blog, Maffers.

6. Mike
    Posted October 17, 2015 at 10:37 am | Permalink | Reply

Was really struggling with iPad version till I realised that 12 across had to be three words not one of 10 letters. Fortunately I have the print edition also and spotted that all multi-word answers are set as single words in the iPad version. Terrible job by telegraph.

• Tom Darby
      Posted October 17, 2015 at 12:14 pm | Permalink | Reply

iPad version of crossword is just getting worse, 6 clues were multi worded today, on the iPad – none! I just do not understand how they keep getting this wrong. Spoke to DT techie (sic) the other day, he didn’t seem to think that having multi words was much of a problem! He also said they are working on a patch but have no idea when it will be ready! Complete farce, am now resorting to writing to the Editor before I’m forced to switch to the Times!

7. Crack on
    Posted October 17, 2015 at 10:59 am | Permalink | Reply

Ditto remarks about iPad version. It is getting very annoying to say the least. In fact I wish they would revert to the old version of the paper altogether. Thank you Tilsit for giving us the correct number breakdown. But why should you have to do the Telegraph’s job? The ‘what do you think of the new app’ appeared only once. Funny that!

Posted October 17, 2015 at 11:00 am | Permalink | Reply

Not the most inspiring puzzle and as always (!) the two answers that I don’t understand are not hinted – 25a and 13d. Out of interest how do the hinters decide which clues to hint on prize puzzle days?
    Thought 3a and 26a are both poor clues and never come across the Pope before.
    Did like 11a though, one of the most unpleasant and deadly diseases known!
    Thx to all.

Posted October 17, 2015 at 11:34 am | Permalink | Reply

Hi Brian,
      25a – The definition is ‘prelude’. You need a verb that means show or steer in the right direction followed by the usual little word meaning at university.
      13d – I don’t get that one either.

• Gazza
        Posted October 17, 2015 at 11:53 am | Permalink | Reply

13d Boy appearing after James (5)
        An adverb meaning appearing follows the (Biblical) abbreviation for James.

• Rabbit Dave
          Posted October 17, 2015 at 12:00 pm | Permalink | Reply

Gazza, I assumed that was the case but I can’t think of a sensible sentence where you could swap “appearing” for the adverb you are referring to, and even if you can you would be sent to the naughty corner today for mentioning it. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_scratch.gif

• mary
          Posted October 17, 2015 at 12:45 pm | Permalink | Reply

Ah just saw this, so obviously my explanations were both wrong! ….nothing new there then!
          Are you ready for the game Gazza? We will be out lunching for my grandsons 18th unfortunately so will have to tape it … what a time to have lunch!!!!

• Gazza
            Posted October 17, 2015 at 12:57 pm | Permalink | Reply

Ready but quite apprehensive, Mary. It’s going to be quite a busy afternoon because I have Exeter Chiefs’ game to watch first then the two World Cup quarter-finals. Come on, Wales!

• Collywobbles
              Posted October 17, 2015 at 2:20 pm | Permalink | Reply

Gaza, what channel is the Exeter game on?

Oh, Ive got it BT2. We don’t get that in the papers down here

• Brian
          Posted October 17, 2015 at 1:46 pm | Permalink | Reply

Ok just about see 25a although show is a bit puzzling but must have the wrong answer for 13d. I have a boys name which starts with the abbreviation for James but no way can I make my second bit mean appearing! Don’t know if I will get sent o the naughty corner for mentioning the Argonauts?

• Gazza
            Posted October 17, 2015 at 1:55 pm | Permalink | Reply

Joe Bloggs is appearing at the Palladium?

• Sarah
            Posted October 17, 2015 at 4:19 pm | Permalink | Reply

I think the word ” appearing” simply means coming after…which makes your answer correct. I have to say this is the first time in a long while that I have to know the answer in order to match it to the clues. I much prefer it when the clue actually leads to the answer!!! Found this one frustrating, although I didn’t need the hints today. Thanks to Tilsit for stepping in, and to the setter, even though this really wasn’t my cup of tea

Posted October 17, 2015 at 4:21 pm | Permalink | Reply

I will probably get in trouble for this, but I thought it was *’* ***, if that makes any sense.

9. Caravaggio
    Posted October 17, 2015 at 11:13 am | Permalink | Reply

Like Collywobbles, I’m delighted to have got this puzzle out of the way in good time as I’m watching Spurs v Liverpool as a prelude to both rugby matches and, as a consequence, nothing else is going to get done today… It’s good to see you’re holding the reins, Tilsit, and thank you for your input.

10. Kitty
    Posted October 17, 2015 at 11:22 am | Permalink | Reply

Weren’t the multi-word enumerations right yesterday? One step forward, two back – seems about right. Meh.

I can’t work out why 13d is what it must be either. Maybe I’m being dense again :(.

Early lunchnoms (sic) soon, then I’ll be heading into town. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

Thanks to the setter and to Tilsit for holding the fort expertly here.

(P.S. The last bit of the quickie pun is showing.)

• Gazza
      Posted October 17, 2015 at 11:59 am | Permalink | Reply

Last bit of quickie pun now hidden.

11. AlanC
    Posted October 17, 2015 at 11:36 am | Permalink | Reply

Favourite clue was 11a

Posted October 17, 2015 at 11:54 am | Permalink | Reply

Pretty simplistic Saturday crossword.
    And how rude to call Kath’s daughters meek persons.
    13d didn’t make much sense to me either and if you follow the alphabet it doesn’t seem to work. Unless the first three letters is short for James, followed by a two letter word for appearing.
    26a was quite poor indeed.
    Thanks to the Saturday setter and to Tilsit for the blog.

Posted October 17, 2015 at 12:00 pm | Permalink | Reply

You’ll just have to believe me when I say that there’s absolutely nothing meek about our daughters! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

• Angel
      Posted October 17, 2015 at 1:29 pm | Permalink | Reply

I too parsed 13d along your lines JL.

Posted October 17, 2015 at 11:59 am | Permalink | Reply

I quite enjoyed this one.
    I’ve never heard of the first bit of the 14a dog and I’m not too good on popes so had to check 18d.
    Like Brian and Kitty I don’t get 13d – maybe we’ve all got the wrong answer . . .
    I liked 12 and 24a and 4 and 5d. Favourite, once my sight had recovered from my first reading of the clue, was 11a.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and to Tilsit.

• mary
      Posted October 17, 2015 at 12:42 pm | Permalink | Reply

Hi Kath as I see 13d and I’m more than possibly wrong it is … a boys name is made up of the initial letter of James followed by two words for a boy????? Kind of all in one? Unless that particular boys name comes alphabetically after James!!!!http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

• jean-luc cheval
        Posted October 17, 2015 at 12:50 pm | Permalink | Reply

I did look at it but there’s a least Jamie and Jared before that.

• mary
          Posted October 17, 2015 at 12:56 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yes JLC I did think of Jared too!

14. Paso Doble
    Posted October 17, 2015 at 12:02 pm | Permalink | Reply

Enjoyable…quite easy….hope to see you in a minute or two. We’re just about to jump on the tube!
    Well done Mr. Ron and Tilsit….**/**

15. Gazza
    Posted October 17, 2015 at 12:41 pm | Permalink | Reply

If you’re at a loose end this afternoon I thoroughly recommend Beet’s NTSPP – it’s not too difficult and it has some super clues and great laughs.

• Jane
      Posted October 17, 2015 at 1:36 pm | Permalink | Reply

I’ll second that, although I do wish that Brian tackled the NTSPPs – name check in there for him!

Posted October 17, 2015 at 1:38 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yes – I agree – brilliant – everyone should have a go at it although I thought it was a bit more difficult than Beet’s crosswords have been before.

16. Little Dave
    Posted October 17, 2015 at 12:44 pm | Permalink | Reply

I agree that iPad version did not help – 20a etc- sent me up the garden path somewhat! I always rely on the iPad version as my paper does not arrive until 0730 and a week of 0520 starts means I am awake well before the paperboy arrives! Rant over. All done despite the angst. Off to see Suffragette tonight with Mrs LD. Thanks for a great review and for the preceding incisive comments. Off to sweep leaves. It’s a big job! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif

17. dave b
    Posted October 17, 2015 at 12:48 pm | Permalink | Reply

Quite fun. The Pope clue took the longest by far. No outstanding clues, but 1D was my fav. Thanks to all. **/**

18. Tilsit
    Posted October 17, 2015 at 1:05 pm | Permalink | Reply

Apologies for the pictures.

I posted using my Mac and they were all in the original posting. Will try and sort later!

19. Iain f
    Posted October 17, 2015 at 1:12 pm | Permalink | Reply

No hint above for 25a and I need to know if it is a multi word answer. Can someone help please?

• bifield
      Posted October 17, 2015 at 1:20 pm | Permalink | Reply

Two words, 4, 2

20. Angel
    Posted October 17, 2015 at 1:48 pm | Permalink | Reply

Unusually for a Saturday this was just nicely challenging. Can’t pick a Fav because there are several equally engaging clues/solutions. Many thanks Tilsit for sitting in the driving seat over these weekends and being there in case we need you or choose to read your comments after the event. Now for a weekend feast of RU and quite nice to be in a neutral position as to which teams to support and just enjoying the games although probably leaning towards the UK teams. Thank you Mr. Ron for a pleasant trip. ***/****. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

Posted October 17, 2015 at 2:01 pm | Permalink | Reply

How long shall we leave it before we start threatening to behave badly if we don’t get some piccies of the ‘do’ in London? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_whistle3.gif http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

• Jane
      Posted October 17, 2015 at 2:06 pm | Permalink | Reply

Offering to give a few ‘alternative clues’ to some of today’s Prize Puzzle problem areas should bring about a fairly rapid response. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_whistle3.gif

Posted October 17, 2015 at 3:02 pm | Permalink | Reply

Go on – I dare you! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

• Jane
          Posted October 17, 2015 at 3:28 pm | Permalink | Reply

Well….I would, but BD might send me that scary ‘Hitler-faced’ thingy again if I do. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

22. Jane
    Posted October 17, 2015 at 2:10 pm | Permalink | Reply

For any of you that don’t already know – I’m told that the Times runs a series of puzzles which give the clues in English and the answers in Latin. My cup runneth over! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

23. Collywobbles
    Posted October 17, 2015 at 3:02 pm | Permalink | Reply

I might be wrong but 14a requires 13 letters and the hint only amounts to 12 letters, so I don’t see where the other letter comes from

24. Tilsit
    Posted October 17, 2015 at 3:05 pm | Permalink | Reply

S outh
    US American
    SE extremes of sensitive
    Anagram of explains

• Sarah
      Posted October 17, 2015 at 4:26 pm | Permalink | Reply

Oh thank you. I got the answer but I had no idea how it worked with the clue!! Daylight ha dawned!

• Angel
        Posted October 17, 2015 at 6:14 pm | Permalink | Reply

Nor me neither so thanks Tilsit for revealing all – what a conundrum!

• Collywobbles
      Posted October 17, 2015 at 5:03 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks Tilsit, I missed the S

25. Young Salopian
    Posted October 17, 2015 at 3:47 pm | Permalink | Reply

The DT’s treatment of their iPad subscribers is certainly 26a. I naively thought the problem was solved, so it wasn’t until I read the blog in complete exasperation that I realised it is far from resolved. Once that had sunk in, it was plain sailing. Enjoyment took a nosedive, and I have probably taken out my frustration on the setter. 2/2 as a result, with thanks to all except the accursed Telegraph IT department.

Good luck to all in London.

26. Organum
    Posted October 17, 2015 at 3:50 pm | Permalink | Reply

Loved this, especially 18d where, in the surface reading, the settter and I are on the same wavelength: he clearly shares my nostalgia for the pope emeritus. But the whole puzzle was enjoyable despite the frustration of continuing DT/iPad issues. Many thanks to the setter.

Posted October 17, 2015 at 3:59 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks to the setter and to Tilsit for the hints. A pretty straightforward puzzle that I quite enjoyed. Struggled with the Pope and 8a, but got there in the end. Favourite was 14a. Was 2*/3* for me. Watching the rugby before the Gooners come on. Hope you all enjoy the do at Borough.

28. Vancouverbc
    Posted October 17, 2015 at 4:18 pm | Permalink | Reply

Easy peasy and not much of a workout. So */** overall. Thanks to all. Everton are getting stuffed – no surprise. Back to the golf.

29. dutch
    Posted October 17, 2015 at 4:18 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks Tilsit and setter

I thought 11a was brilliant.

13d, brb has the first 3 letters of the answer as the abbreviation for James, exactly as JL suggests.

• jean-luc cheval
      Posted October 17, 2015 at 6:39 pm | Permalink | Reply

And Gazza. We posted at the same time on a different thread.

• The Cat
      Posted October 17, 2015 at 7:10 pm | Permalink | Reply

Not sure if this’ll get me into trouble but I understood13D as being the sort of thing *********************.

[Please read the warning in red and don’t provide alternative clues. Gazza]

30. AlanW
    Posted October 17, 2015 at 5:24 pm | Permalink | Reply

What happened to27929,s. full review?!

• Gazza
      Posted October 17, 2015 at 6:33 pm | Permalink | Reply

Welcome to the blog, AlanW.
      It was there but with the wrong title – that’s fixed now.

31. Hrothgar
    Posted October 17, 2015 at 5:27 pm | Permalink | Reply

I’ve gone through my life never having heard of 14a.
    As above, 11a brilliant construction.
    Within my **plus time for difficulty.
    Thanks to the setter, and BD.

• Jane
      Posted October 17, 2015 at 5:35 pm | Permalink | Reply

14a is the result of crossing the one-time ‘first word of the answer’ + Springer with the Cocker plus ‘second word of the answer’.
      It does go by a rather more common name which you may well have come across before.
      Hopefully that doesn’t relegate me to the naughty corner! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

• Hrothgar
        Posted October 17, 2015 at 8:57 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks
        But you’re skating on very thin ice.

32. Framboise
    Posted October 17, 2015 at 5:45 pm | Permalink | Reply

No wonder I could not make head or tails of 6 clues doing the crossword on my IPad! When I looked at the printed version – after having rushed to the village computer shop to get another printer – I understood why! Obviously the DT techies are not cruciverbalists! Needed the hints for 18d and 26a so many thanks to Tilsit and to the setter for an enjoyable mental workout. Thought 13d was clever as 11a. Did not know the first word for the dog breed in 14a. Back in Billingshurst to get ready for our trip to the US. Don’t know how I am going to survive without my daily cryptic solving…

• Angel
      Posted October 17, 2015 at 6:19 pm | Permalink | Reply

Try the New York Times crossword. I used to enjoy it when I lived there several moons ago although perhaps one needs time to get accustomed.

• Framboise
        Posted October 17, 2015 at 8:52 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thank you. Is it a cryptic one?

• Angel
          Posted October 17, 2015 at 11:48 pm | Permalink | Reply

‘ish’ I seem to remember but the US humour is of course different.

33. Gwizz
    Posted October 17, 2015 at 7:21 pm | Permalink | Reply

The IT issues do not make for easy solving that is for sure! I completed today’s puzzle….eventually, but I’m not sure that the problems add or detract from the challenge. I think the latter personally.
    Anyway, 11a was my fave and overall a shaky 2/3*.
    Thanks to the setter and to Tilsit for the hints.

34. Hilary
    Posted October 17, 2015 at 7:27 pm | Permalink | Reply

New glasses collected today thanks to OH who drove me down and monitored every little step, now I can see properly I thoroughly enjoyed today’s offering. 11a made me smile, never heard of 14a, did need a bit of electronic help but on the whole quite pleased with myself. Thanks to Tilset and setter off to do GK. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

• Hilary
      Posted October 17, 2015 at 7:49 pm | Permalink | Reply

P S the quickie pun is evil!!!!!

35. Michael
    Posted October 17, 2015 at 7:38 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thank god I get the Paper edition, it was only when I came to enter the Puzzle on my IPad that I realised that this had nine of the multi-word clues specified – what a cock-up!

As loads of people have already said the pictures in the blog seem to have been replaced with a question mark – novel!

As far as the puzzle itself is concerned it was a little harder than the usual Saturday Far, but pretty straightforward, no real problems apart from the dog which I couldn’t work out and had to look up the various ‘flavours’ on the net and still couldn’t ‘parse’ it!

(I don’t know – ‘parse’ is probably the correct technical term but I feel a bit pretentious using it and have to surround it with exclamation marks – my problem’)

The Cricket really surprised me, ending in quite an exciting way after four days of tedium – Football, Rugby, Football already more Rugby to come up later – I’m exhausted!

Posted October 17, 2015 at 11:14 pm | Permalink | Reply

I agree with you about ‘parse’. I know that it’s the correct word to use but also feel that if I use it it feels pretentious – that’s why I usually say that I couldn’t explain it or justify it.
      As for Football, Rugby, Football and more Rugby, not to mention Cricket, I’m not exhausted – just bored with it all! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-yawn.gif
      Dare I say that the dancing is good fun? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

36. Michael
    Posted October 17, 2015 at 7:41 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thank god I get the Paper edition, it was only when I came to enter the Puzzle on my IPad that I realised that this had none of the multi-word clues specified – what a cock-up!

37. Michael
    Posted October 17, 2015 at 7:49 pm | Permalink | Reply

I don’t know what happened there – I tried to edit my original entry, it came up as per normal but my IPad keyboard was in a strange font and wouldn’t allow me to enter anything, I pressed enter and another copy of my original post came up, which I edited and submitted – the net result is that there are now two copies of my post on the blog – sorry!

I’ve been having problems with the keyboard on my IPad since I upgraded to IOS 9.03 – one problem after another – it’s beyond me!

38. Barnjet
    Posted October 17, 2015 at 7:55 pm | Permalink | Reply

A rare event today; completed without peeking at any hints, but extensive use of the Thesaurus needed, and some lucky guessing. No harder on Saturdays please; this was just about doable for Mrs BJ and me. Thanks to setter and Tilset.

Posted October 17, 2015 at 8:23 pm | Permalink | Reply

I completed well within 1* time, with the intensely annoying exception of 16d and 25a. I suspect that both should have been blindingly obvious to me by now, and l have been guilty of over-complication in my attempts to solve them. Can anyone give me a little hint for either of them?

• Salty Dog
      Posted October 17, 2015 at 8:54 pm | Permalink | Reply

Ah! The pennies have just dropped. 16d was indeed easy. 25a does work, l suppose, but l feel the first word of the solution is rather a stretch from “show”. OK – 2*/3* on balance, and 14a my favourite clue. Thanks to the setter, and to Tilsit for the hints ( albeit not the ones l needed!).

• Framboise
      Posted October 17, 2015 at 9:03 pm | Permalink | Reply

“I’ll” try for 16d – usual contraction of I will followed by a synonym of remedy as a verb. Can’t really do it for 25a – other than equivalent of show the way to someone for the first word. Does this help?

Posted October 17, 2015 at 11:45 pm | Permalink | Reply

As Brian said, uninspiring, even a bit pedestrian.

41. ACRoss
    Posted October 18, 2015 at 9:33 am | Permalink | Reply

First time commenting. 13 down was exactly as described. We stumbled over 16d/25a. Got the answer to 9a but not sure how it fits with the clue. All finished now. We do the paper version no tech issues!

Posted October 18, 2015 at 9:49 am | Permalink | Reply

Welcome

Split your answer to 9a 2,5,1 and then look at the clue again.

42. Badger
    Posted October 19, 2015 at 11:30 pm | Permalink | Reply

Last as usual-finished without a hint, the last was the pope one -looked at a list of popes but missed this one. Came to me suddeNly Sunday am. Like many was diverted by rugby. Enjoyed the crossy but not the results of the matches. Ho Ho 2019…..thanks to setter and BD

43. Leveret
    Posted October 22, 2015 at 9:30 am | Permalink | Reply

‘Easy peasy’? Some smug posters here! Like playing a Chopin waltz or changing brake pads, only when you know how. As an occasional solver (Saturday DT only, this one took me 2 days and lots of help from Chambers and this site) I thought it was difficult, esp 26a. Still, I doubt if anyone will read this as it’s now Thursday!

• Posted October 22, 2015 at 9:43 am | Permalink | Reply

I did!

Stick with it and maybe one day it will be you posting “Easy peasy”.

Posted October 22, 2015 at 10:09 am | Permalink | Reply

I did too – and would echo BD’s comment about sticking with it.

• 2Kiwis
      Posted October 22, 2015 at 10:59 am | Permalink | Reply

And even on the other side of the world we read it too.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif