Hints and tips by Deep Threat

BD Rating – Difficulty ***Enjoyment ***

Buon giorno da Roma, where we’re spending a very pleasant week in shirtsleeve temperatures. Yesterday we joined what seemed to be half the population of the planet in visiting the Vatican Museum – still well worth it despite the crush. Just by way of a taster, here’s The Creation of the Sun and Moon from the Sistine Chapel ceiling.

Image result for creation of sun and moon sistine chapel

Is this the origin of the expression ‘mooning’?

Quite a tricky offering from Giovanni this morning, with one word I’d never come across, and some other fairly obscure ones, so definitely *** for difficulty.

1a           Agent, having got round Home Counties, is to be still (6)
REPOSE – Put together a commercial agent, a round letter, and the letters indicating the part of Britain where the Home Counties are.

4a           Instrument fixed with insertion of peg (6)
SPINET – Fixed or solidified wrapped around a metal peg, giving an early keyboard instrument.

Image result for spinet

8a           Joining in marriage? Marrying outside church (8)
MATCHING – Another word for marrying or forming a couple, wrapped around an abbreviation for CHurch.

10a         Stay in control having brought graduate aboard (6)
REMAIN – Control, as you might a horse, wrapped around the letters after the name of someone with a second Arts degree.

11a         Sun is one name for a tabloid (4)
STAR – Double definition: for our overseas readers, the second is the name of a UK tabloid newspaper.

12a         Pretty piece of ground? Could be dragons ‘ere (4,6)
ROSE GARDEN – Anagram (could be) of DRAGONS ‘ERE.

13a         Cult member to move into area near London maybe (8,4)
COMMUTER BELT – Anagram (move) of CULT MEMBER TO, giving an area around London or any large city where people have to travel into work.

16a         After short time get train as an alternative (6,6)
SECOND STRING – A short amount of time, followed by a train, of horses or baggage camels, perhaps.

20a         County fellow and charming son no good unfortunately (10)
CORNISHMAN – Anagram (unfortunately) of CHARMIN(g) SON with the Good removed, giving a chap from a county which often regards itself as separated from England by the river Tamar.

21a         Sort to do manual work in office? (4)
TYPE – Double definition, the second being what was done on manuals before word processors came along.

22a         Father taking part gives word of honour (6)
PAROLE – A short word for father followed by a part on stage.

23a         Thought about a boy and what he might be called (8)
REASONED – Put together the Latin word for about or concerning, A (from the clue), a boy child, and a short form of a boy’s name.

24a         Material providing end of bed with a covering (6)
DAMASK – The last letter of beD followed by A (from the clue) and a covering for the face.

25a         Ridges made of wood seen aboard ship (6)
SPINES – A type of softwood inside the letters denoting the usual crossword ship.

1d           Chemist may study this response (8)
REACTION – Double definition: the first is what happens (or not) when two chemicals are brought into contact.

2d           Hidden among sheep, a certain sort of horse (5)
PACER – Hidden in the clue.

3d           Plant starts to ruin everything in border (7)
SKIRRET – The initial letters of Ruin Everything inside a border or outlying region. This was new word of the week for me, and since I don’t have my BRB with me in Rome I had to bung it in and hope. It’s a sort of root vegetable grown in Tudor times, apparently.

Image result for skirret

5d           Craft of Greek character, unprincipled person (7)
PIROGUE – The Greek letter used in mathematics to denote the relationship of the circumference of a circle to its diameter, followed by an unprincipled person, giving a variety of boat which was originally a dugout canoe.

Image result for pirogue

6d           One gets over the line in mathematics (9)
NUMERATOR – Cryptic definition of the top half of a fraction.

7d           Bolt secured under top of the stand (6)
TRIVET – The first letter of The followed by a metal fixing which I’m not sure is technically a bolt, but the result is a pot stand.

Image result for trivet

9d           Grand sort of scientist who enjoys visits to restaurants? (11)
GASTRONOMER – An abbreviation for Grand, followed by a scientist who studies heavenly bodies.

14d         Male is member of a class that could be fool (9)
MISINFORM – Put together Male, IS (from the clue), and a phrase (2,4) which would indicate that he was a member of a school class.

15d         People who photograph fish (8)
SNAPPERS – Double definition: popular name for photographers; and some tropical fish.

17d         Money report not initially available — nuts! (7)
CASHEWS – Another word for money followed by the report of an event with its first letter removed.

Image result for cashews

18d         Beaming type in the studio upset students — the French politician (7)
SUNLAMP – Reverse (upset) the initials of the unio0n representing students, then add a form of the definite article in French and the usual crossword politician.

19d         Fellow child being looked after is one lacking courage (6)
COWARD – Written (2-4) this could be someone who could be a companion in being looked after by the Court – like Esther, Richard and Ada in Bleak House.

21d         Scottish town not accommodating soldiers after upset (5)
TROON – Put the letters denoting soldiers who are not officers inside NOT (from the clue), then reverse the lot.

The Quick Crossword pun BLOOM + HERDER = BLUE MURDER

1. Graham
    Posted October 9, 2015 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Agree with the ratings offered by DT, also never heard of the root vegetable I wonder if anyone grows it or you can obtain them anywhere.Many thanks to the setter & to DT for taking time out from his hols to compile a review.

• Little Dave
      Posted October 9, 2015 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

Really enjoyed this challenge.

• F1lbertfox
      Posted October 9, 2015 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

A Google search reveals where to buy, how to grow and how to cook this plant.

A superb puzzle, incidentally.

2. Miffypops
    Posted October 9, 2015 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Blooming heck 20ac an anagram? I put Down as the county which foxed me for ages, eventually got the answer and spent an age trying to work out why. All so obvious now. If the new DT app for the ipad plays up as much on Monday as it did today (its first day in use after two days of solving the old fashioned way with a pen and illegible scralw) then you can expect the blog at dusk or thereabouts.
    Thanks to DT for the explanation of 20ac, an anagram? really? well blow me down
    Thanks as ever to Jay for a great puzzle on Wednesday
    Thanks to Mr Manley for a superb workout today.
    No thanks to the DT IT team.
    Come on England Proper Team you can beat Uraguay.

• Hanni
      Posted October 9, 2015 at 11:41 am | Permalink

I do think it’s considerate of you to always remember to thank Wednesday’s setter on a Friday.

• Jane
        Posted October 9, 2015 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

Have you noticed that he’s starting to repeat himself rather a lot as well? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif

Posted October 9, 2015 at 11:27 am | Permalink

2*/3*. I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed this in spite of a couple of obscurities in 3d & 5d. Many thanks to Giovanni and to DT.

4. Hanni
    Posted October 9, 2015 at 11:39 am | Permalink

This gets a higher difficulty score because I put an ‘S’ on the end of 9d. That meant 23a was a tad difficult until I saw my mistake.

Didn’t quite parse the anagram of 20a so just bunged it in.

The rest was pretty straightforward. And very enjoyable.

Many thanks to the Don and to DT for blogging.

Beautiful sunshine today. Hopefully some clear nights so I can go aurora spotting.

Have a good weekend all.

5. Florence
    Posted October 9, 2015 at 11:39 am | Permalink

This was s real challenge for me, but enormous sense of satisfaction when completed. Putting a line down with my pen, making 16a (7,5) instead of (6,6) slowed me down for ages. Really don’t know why I did that. Then tried to fit gentleman into 20a. Still, all corrected, and finished after a lot of effort. Very proud of myself. Thanks to the setter, and to DT. Hope the rest of your holiday goes well, and weather continues to be kind. Travelling to Manchester early tomorrow for the rugby, so may not sign in. Have a good weekend everyone.

6. Jane
    Posted October 9, 2015 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Would have been a 2* but went up a notch due to new words at 3&5d and missing the anagram at 13a for ages, despite the clear indicator.
    Rather liked 16a but vote of the day goes to 23a.
    Thanks to DG and to DT for services ‘above and beyond’ in the midst of his hols. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

The Sparks in the other place is proving to be an entirely different matter. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cry.gif

7. pete
    Posted October 9, 2015 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

Definitely a Friday crossword. Managed all but 3d and 5d, should have got pirogue but never heard of a skirret.

8. Jaycat
    Posted October 9, 2015 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Needed hints for 3d,5d,25a,20a. Failed to parse some 4 answers without hints. Quite enjoyable but frustrating too.

Thanks to setter and DT.

9. Framboise
    Posted October 9, 2015 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

I certainly needed the hints for the second word of 16a and 21d so many thanks to DT. Never heard of 3a but managed to guess it. Missed the anagram for 13a but again managed to guess the answer! Thought 20a was very good but my favourite was 9d. Many thanks to the Don for a very enjoyable puzzle. I agree with DT’s rating. Yesterday was a very emotional time for us attending a close friend’s funeral. Going back to Hyères tomorrow for a week… Lovely weather here in Sussex today but very cold for us in the mornings!

• Jane
      Posted October 9, 2015 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

Glad you got through yesterday OK, Framboise. Enjoy your week back in JL country.
      Sussex – cold? It’s still an Indian Summer as far as most of us Brits are concerned!

• Framboise
        Posted October 9, 2015 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Thank you Jane!

10. Wahoo
    Posted October 9, 2015 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Always enjoy DG’s puzzles and must have been on same wavelength last night as I found this quite straightforward and very enjoyable. */**** for me. 7d last one in after I concluded that neither “bolt” nor “stand” could be a verb.

Thanks to the Don. I hope you enjoy Rome DT. Glorious rain here yesterday afternoon and evening and no storm.

11. Beaver
    Posted October 9, 2015 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Found todays crossword quite difficult, a few d’oh moments like 12a ,and thanks to DT for the explanation of ‘string ‘ ‘everything quite fair when the solves reluctantly appeared-could have been last nights safari dinner party and the touch of gout!

12. Hrothgar
    Posted October 9, 2015 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Quite a struggle but got there, unaided, eventually.
    Apart, that is, from checking my correct constructions.
    eg 3d and 7d, both new words for me.
    Not happy with the second word of 16a, certainly not common parlance.
    Many thanks to the setter and to DT for the review.

• Steve_the_Beard
      Posted October 9, 2015 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Re 16a; are you not familiar with the phrase “a second string to one’s bow”? It seems fairly common to me ;-)

• Hrothga
        Posted October 9, 2015 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

Miss my point.
        I said I questioned the second word which was ‘string’
        Does ‘string’ mean train?

• Hrothga
          Posted October 9, 2015 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

I now understand train/string.
          We all have these moments!

• dutch
        Posted October 9, 2015 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

Thanks Steve, interesting, I tend to think of “several” or “many strings to his bow” rather than “second”, which may be why the phrase seemed unfamiliar to me – my limitation, I’m sure.

13. Dave B
    Posted October 9, 2015 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

Great Friday crossword.. Last in was 5d. 3d was new to me, but got it through parsing. Thanks to all. ***/****.

14. Michael
    Posted October 9, 2015 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Tough, tough, tough – very difficult – it didn’t help me putting ‘gastronaut’ into 9d – that screwed me up right and proper. I had to resort to the hints and tips to sort myself out – thanks for that!

I’ve updated my IPad to IOS 9.02 and it’s really slow loading the keyboard – it’s really annoying – I always thought upgrades were supposed to improve the situation – call me old-fashioned but……

• Miffypops
      Posted October 9, 2015 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

I had trouble with the upgrade too Michael. Not sure it is sorted yet. My answer is to pass the ipad to Saint Sharon. She has the patience. i do not.

• Bluebird
      Posted October 9, 2015 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

I agree all loading has got slower since the last two upgrades. I just assumed it was my iPad getting old……. I always go with the upgrades though, because more memory seems to be released afterwards.

15. dutch
    Posted October 9, 2015 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

I hadn’t come across the root vegetable or the alternative string before.I quite liked the cult member and also the grand sort of scientist – I remember quite a few people like this.

Many thanks Don and DT

beautiful weather today – must try and get outside. Seems to be the pattern, lousy summer and fantastic autumn.

• Jane
      Posted October 9, 2015 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Hi Dutch,
      There are still questions pending from yesterday’s blog re: your balletic exploits. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

• dutch
        Posted October 9, 2015 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

And pending they may remain…

• Jane
          Posted October 9, 2015 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

Spoilsport! TS was complaining last night that there only seems to be MP left in the Loopy corner – thought you might be a good candidate if you ‘fessed up. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

• dutch
            Posted October 10, 2015 at 11:24 am | Permalink

I was better at ballroom – except on my wedding..

Posted October 9, 2015 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Giovanni and to Deep Threat for the review and hints. A very difficult puzzle, needed 6 hints to finish. I thought 3d was very obscure. 9a was a very old chestnut. Favourite was 19d, very unusual. Was 4*/2* for me.

17. Steve_the_Beard
    Posted October 9, 2015 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

The ODE defines skirret as “An Asiatic herb cultivated in Europe for its sweet edible tuberous root”.

Posted October 9, 2015 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

I thought it was really difficult – 4* and 3* for enjoyment.
    I’ve spent far too much time on this – people here this evening and am now going to be in rush – ice cream will probably go into the oven and bread into the freezer – oh dear!
    Could see 13a was an anagram and the letters making it up but thought I was on the hunt for a specific place.
    3d – water parsnip – oh please – certainly never heard of him.
    I did know the 5d boat but could have done without the first two letters of the word so soon after yesterday! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif
    6d took for ever – no excuses really.
    Never heard of the 21d Scottish town – don’t really ‘do’ Scotland – don’t really do much north of Birmingham.
    I liked 13 and 21a and 9d.
    Thanks to Giovanni and to Deep Threat.
    Right – really need to whizz now.

19. Baffled Bob
    Posted October 9, 2015 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Skirret? Skirret?

I tried to do this on the plane this morning, and nobody had had any idea.

Short of asking the crew to page for a horticulturalist, there’d have been no hope.

We’ll know next time. At least I got the pirogue this time. I’d never heard of that till the other week either!

• Young Salopian
      Posted October 9, 2015 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

We stayed at a hotel called La Pirogue many years ago in Mauritius. Having said that, the wordplay made it quite easy.

• oddjob
      Posted October 9, 2015 at 11:14 pm | Permalink

You obviously don’t know about jambalaya crawfish pie fillet gumbo!http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

20. Hilary
    Posted October 9, 2015 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif happy little person, bruising nearly gone, optician replacing glasses free of charge as a goodwill gesture and I managed crossword with only one hint. Remembered 5d from not long ago, BRB supplied 3d but for some reason 20a eluded me. Have been keeping an eye on you all but have not felt like writing. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

• Hilary
      Posted October 9, 2015 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Sorry forgot manners thanks to the Don and DT have a super, splendid holiday.

• Hanni
      Posted October 9, 2015 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

Glad you’re feeling better Hilary. Good to have you back. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

• Miffypops
      Posted October 9, 2015 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

You little fighter you. Well done

• Jane
      Posted October 9, 2015 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Good for you, Hilary – and good for your optician for being so reasonable about the whole event.
      You’ve definitely been much missed – I used up all my tissues over in today’s Toughie land and had to resort to kitchen towel due to the absence of your spare supply. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif
      Take care and keep up the good work with the puzzles. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

• Shropshirelad
      Posted October 9, 2015 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

Well done from me as well.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

21. Young Salopian
    Posted October 9, 2015 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

I would certainly echo the collective thoughts today. Top puzzle but quite difficult. I think 3.5/3.5 today. Thanks to the Don and DT for his efforts.

22. Vancouverbc
    Posted October 9, 2015 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

3.5*/4*. What a work out! I shall have to lie down now which is convenient because I’m still in bed. Held up for ages due to putting an s at the end of 9d making 23a a tad difficult. Nevertheless very satisfying so thanks to the setter and DT for the review.

23. neveracrossword
    Posted October 9, 2015 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

5d comes up often in “Countdown” but 3d was new to me. I agree with 3/*3*. Thanks to DT for the glimpse of a Botticelli in the Sistine Chapel and thanks to the setter also.

• Deep Threat
      Posted October 9, 2015 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

It may be a botti, but it’s by Michelangelo!

24. Jaylegs
    Posted October 9, 2015 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

I found this tres difficile and although in the end (more by good luck than judgement) I managed to solve it I must thank DT for explaining some of my answers ? ***/** I have never heard of a gastronomer ? Still it filled in a couple of hours out of the sunshine ?

Posted October 9, 2015 at 6:45 pm | Permalink

13a was our last one in. Went looking in the wrong direction for a start as ‘sect’ seemed to fit in with ‘cult’ in the clue. Next we thought it might be a specific place and ‘west’ an option for the last word. Eventually, when we had all the checkers, the possibility of an anagram appeared and we got it. Certainly gets our vote for favourite clue today. A lot of fun.
    Thanks Giovanni and DT.

• Jane
      Posted October 9, 2015 at 6:49 pm | Permalink

Exactly the same route as I followed!

• 2Kiwis
        Posted October 9, 2015 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

We’re in excellent company then and we note that Kath was also looking for a specific place.

26. Shropshirelad
    Posted October 9, 2015 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

A very enjoyable puzzle from Mr Manley to finish off the week. Only one new word / vegetable to add to my repertoire at 3d – wonder what it tastes like. I am definitely developing anagram blindness as I had they answer for 13a but couldn’t see the word play (I can normally find an anagram very quickly). For that reason, that is my favourite of the day.

Thanks to Giovanni for the enjoyment and DT for interrupting his holiday in Rome. I am very jealous as it is my favourite city to visit – I need to go back in the near future.

DT – As an aside, I hope you went immediately to the far end of the Sistine Chapel and looked back to take in the magnificence of it all.

27. Killer Watts
    Posted October 9, 2015 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

Pretty tough today, imho, maybe a ****/**. 3d and 5d new to me, though I solved them by following the clues.
    Thanks to setter and Deep Threat.

28. Jon_S
    Posted October 9, 2015 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

Presumably they swapped the toughie and the back page? ;-) Blimey, this was difficult.

• Posted October 9, 2015 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

You obviously haven’t done today’s Toughie!

By the way, Sparks only sets for the Toughie series.

Posted October 9, 2015 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

This ran (just) into 2* time, and gets 3* for enjoyment. That said, l have a couple of quibbles – a rivet is not a bolt, and l don’t equate “string” with “train”. As for a favourite clue, it has to be 20a in honour of my neighbours these last 35 years (even though l cannot count myself among their number). My thanks to the Don, and molto grazie to DT. Try Bobo’s on the Via Vittorio Emanuele (l think).

• Salty Dog
      Posted October 9, 2015 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

I thought wrong! It’s called the Temple of Minerva ànd it’s it’s in the Viale Manzoni. Ciao!

• Shropshirelad
        Posted October 9, 2015 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

Pizzeria Ricci on the Via Geneva – buon appetite.

• Salty Dog
          Posted October 9, 2015 at 10:11 pm | Permalink

I feel a run ashore in Rome coming on!

• Shropshirelad
            Posted October 9, 2015 at 11:15 pm | Permalink

A run ashore in Rome – I’m up for it http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

30. oddjob
    Posted October 9, 2015 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

Record time for Friday, only missed the Russian city in the quickie, help please.oj

• oddjob
      Posted October 9, 2015 at 11:31 pm | Permalink

Don’t bother , home in time to look in book (tag still http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gifworking)

• Posted October 9, 2015 at 11:36 pm | Permalink

I’ve hidden the answer below:

• oddjob
        Posted October 10, 2015 at 12:17 am | Permalink

31. ezfer
    Posted October 9, 2015 at 10:52 pm | Permalink

Pleased to have completed this with only 1 missed parsing – couldn’t see where the ‘string’, or possibly ‘ondstring’, came from in 16a. Obvious once I saw the hint but glad to see from comments that not just me. 3d also new word for me but well clued from word play so I was relatively confident of answer, just had to look up what it meant! LOI was 14d which misdirected me on noun/verb definition but satisfying once it clicked. Lots of clues I enjoyed, like 5d and 19d. Got my 9 year old son to give me answer for 6d – trying to get him involved early! (have explained clues/answers to him before and his reaction has been ‘how clever’ – unlike my husband and his 18 year old son who were both along the lines of ‘what rubbish’…!) Many thanks to setter & DT.

• Hanni
      Posted October 9, 2015 at 11:51 pm | Permalink

Hi Ezfer,

I love the fact that you are getting your son involved in the solving process early on. I do the same with my youngest child type thing occasionally. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

I really do believe if they show an interest it will stick with them for life. It did with me anyway.

• Miffypops
      Posted October 10, 2015 at 12:31 am | Permalink

Golly bongs ezfer,you are a girl. Your avatar suggest a quite nasty bloke. my other half is Saint Sharon who has just given me a glass of Damson Gin from 2012. Devine.

Posted October 10, 2015 at 1:14 am | Permalink

I’m with MP and, for no obvious reason, thought you were a bloke too.
      I’m with Hanni and think that it’s great to explain crossword stuff to them when they’re young.
      When my youngest nephew was not very old – maybe twelve or thirteen – I explained a clue to him and his reaction was also “how clever” or “brilliant” or something along those lines. Unfortunately his Mum (my sister) said, “No Max, not clever at all – just formulaic”. Needless to say she can’t do cryptic crossword and hates the fact that I can and she can’t!
      Friends here this evening – just finished clearing up – too late – off to bed – I’m not an insomniac as so many of you seem to be . . . http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-yawn.gif

32. Tstrummer
    Posted October 11, 2015 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

Did this on the boat after a arduous day. Found it 3* hard and 2* fun. Thanks to DT and the Don

• Jane
      Posted October 11, 2015 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

An arduous day? Go on with you – you love every minute!
      PS Hope the dog is staying dry.

33. Nan
    Posted November 11, 2015 at 4:30 am | Permalink

As a foreigner, I’d like to know what OR or RO have to do with soldiers?

• 2Kiwis
      Posted November 11, 2015 at 5:18 am | Permalink

OR is short for Other Ranks. That is all the soldiers who are not officers or NCOs. It is quite common in crosswords as one of the many soldier abbreviations. Cheers.