ST 2812 (Hints)

Sunday Telegraph Cryptic No 2812 (Hints)

Hints and tips by Big Dave

As is usual for the weekend prize crosswords, a number of the more difficult clues have been selected and hints provided for them.

Some hints follow:

1a    Some youth misbehaving peers concealed (14)
While the CONCEALED looks as if it is indicating a hidden answer, it’s actually, along with PEERS, the fodder for an anagram (misbehaving)

9a    Deadlock that is broken by person elected ahead of idiot (7)
The Latin abbreviation for “that is” around (broken by) an elected representative and an idiot (although which is which is a subject for discussion!)

10a    Country‘s troops in retreat — madness! (7)
It’s those troops again, although this time they are reversed (in retreat) and followed by madness

11a    Capital I extracted from villain in past (3)
… the villain in question is Shakespearean

15a    Will producer try out actor clubs rejected? (8)
A verb meaning to try out followed by A[C]TOR without (rejected) the C(lubs)

22a    Stand firm with at least two top people (11)
A stand between two players in cricket is also a firm or business with at least two top people

23a    Intimidate female whose homecoming is indefinitely delayed (3)
Two definitions – a verb meaning to intimidate and the female animal which is one of several in an expression (4,3,4,4,4) meaning indefinitely delayed

24a    Get mildly angry, so to speak, in plant (3,4)
What sounds like (so to speak) the more usual expression for getting angry *** *** (3,3), somewhat watered down (mildly) to *** **** (3,4) is actually a perennial plant

27a    Down-to-earth sons men upset? Funny about that (14)
An anagram (upset) of SONS MEN with an adjective meaning funny around it (about that)

1d    Benefactor giving disorganised hospital PR hint (14)
An anagram (disorganised) of HOSPITAL PR HINT

2d    Take advantage of mine no longer, having left nothing inside (7)
A mine that is no longer in use could be described as an ** *** (2,3) – simply insert (having … inside) L(eft) and O (nothing)

3d    Strangely considerate, doing harm to something sacred (11)
This anagram (strangely) of CONSIDERATE gives an action topically carried out by members of the so-called Islamic State

5d    Shown on TV? Not viewable (8)
Two definitions – a verb meaning shown on TV and an adjective meaning not viewable or hidden from view

8d    Blazing revolver? (9,5)
A picture is worth a thousand words!

13d    Muck-raking journalists, say, surrounded by good crowd (6,5)
A verb meaning to say or state inside (surrounded by) G(ood) and a crowd

16d    Gives birth to family — hence hide from wild animal (8)
A verb meaning gives birth to followed by a three-letter word meaning family

25d    Mass, following one’s specific doctrine (3)
M(ass) follows I (one) and the S from ‘S

Today it’s Happy Birthday to Roger Waters (72)

1. Robin Newman
    Posted September 6, 2015 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

*/****

liked 1D, 6D and 8D

had a sense of deja vu re 1D

• Una
      Posted September 6, 2015 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Yesterday !

• Hilary
        Posted September 6, 2015 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

Yipee!!!

Posted September 6, 2015 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

No hints needed today,I agree with Robin Newman’s rating.
    I include 8d , 5d, and 20d among my best liked.

Posted September 6, 2015 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed this very much. 23A and 24A both tickled my fancy but I’m going with 23A as my favorite. Thank you Virgilius and Big Dave.

Posted September 6, 2015 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

1.5*/4*. I found this at the easier end of Virgilius’ spectrum but nevertheless very enjoyable. What an amazing coincidence to see 1d again so soon even though it is singular today.

As usual on a Sunday choosing a favourite is quite tricky. 22a was brilliant, but 24a, my last one in, gets my vote as it made me LOL.

Many thanks to Virgilius and to BD whose hint I needed for the full parsing of 23a.

5. neveracrossword
    Posted September 6, 2015 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Easy but enjoyable. For the second day in a row I needed BD’s explanation of the cricket allusion. Thanks to him and Virgilius.

Posted September 6, 2015 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

Me too with the cricket – any clue that is to do with it gets me every time although I am marginally better than I used to be.

• Brian
        Posted September 6, 2015 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

Don’t feel too bad, I missed it toohttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cry.gif

6. Miffypops
    Posted September 6, 2015 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Solved on the shoreline of Loch Awe in Bonny Scotland. A puzzle that gave up its answers without a fight. Easy anagrams gave checkers which in turn gave answers. I have nothing to do and all day to do it in. Woohoo.

Posted September 6, 2015 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

Ooh, a lovely part of the world. My very good friends live north of there, inland from Inverness, we did many sightseeing trips. Their daughter Jo Hamilton wrote many songs about the highlands. Her first CD was called “Gown”.

7. Magmull
    Posted September 6, 2015 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

I thoroughly enjoyed the cryptic, and after a slow start got into the setter’s way of thinking. Very many thanks. BUT has anybody got the answer to 1a of the Quick? I’ve checked and rechecked – consulted all the oracles at my disposal, and cannot find anything that fits. All help gratefully received!

Posted September 6, 2015 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

Quick 1a Anticipation in the sense of wishing something good or successful might happen.,

• Magmull
        Posted September 6, 2015 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Oh brilliant – I would never have thought of it like that. Now I shall sleep easy tonight. Very many thanks!

8. jimbow
    Posted September 6, 2015 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

*** for difficulty **** for enjoyment.

16d was my favourite not for its difficulty but it just made me smile!

Posted September 6, 2015 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Welcome Jim.

There’s always lots to smile about in the Sunday cryptic – I’m the lucky person getting to smile twice over while I draft the review. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

9. Nev
    Posted September 6, 2015 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

Completed today without toomuch trouble, with 12a the last one in, with one of those ‘ doh, why couldn’t I see that sooner’ moments!
    2*/3* for me today.

10. Paul darley
    Posted September 6, 2015 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed the challenge but stumped on 7down

Posted September 6, 2015 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

Welcome Paul.

7d Definition is communication. Another way of abbreviating a Tory, the abbreviation (short) for time and a piece of legislation.

• Paul darley
      Posted September 6, 2015 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Cancel just realised my mistake on 1a

Posted September 6, 2015 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Spooky, the same anagram two days running!
    An enjoyable Sunday offering with some clever if a little odd clues such as 24a and 22a (to my shame I missed the cricket connection here). Needed the hints to reveal the villain and the indefinitely delayed clue 23a. The answers were less difficult than the wordy clues. The two that made me smile was 8d and 14a.
    Thx to all.

Posted September 6, 2015 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

A lovely crossword for a lovely sunny Sunday.
    I was terribly slow with the across clues and thought it was going to be a really tricky one but the downs seemed easier and got me started.
    Apart from 1d I didn’t get any of the long answers round the outside for ages.
    Made a mistake with 16d which held things up a bit – my kind of animal giving birth was the bovine kind – as I wrote it in I thought that it should be spelt with a ‘V’. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_rolleyes.gif
    It took me for ever to understand why my 23a was right and I needed BD’s hint for the ‘crickety’ bit of 22a – knew that I was missing some subtlety.
    I liked 24a and 3d (surprised that’s not used as an anagram more often) 16 (eventually) and 21d. My favourite was 4d.
    With thanks to Virgilius and to BD.
    Need to cut grass then might have a look at NTSPP – there’s plenty of time for the MPP.

• Angel
      Posted September 6, 2015 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

Cutting the grass on a Sunday?!

Posted September 6, 2015 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

Yes – why not? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

Posted September 6, 2015 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Didn’t understand the first part of 22a.
    Hardly surprising really.
    So thanks to BD and to Virgilius.

14. Jaycat
    Posted September 6, 2015 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

Similar to yesterdays puzzle, I started really well then had a full stop in SE before gradually getting going again with 8d being the main holdup . Liked 15a ,20d and 24a.

2.5*/3.5*

Thanks to setter and BD

15. Gwizz
    Posted September 6, 2015 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

I found this to be quite gentle for Virgilius. No hold ups, some nice clues with my favourite being 24a. 3/3* overall.
    Thanks to Virgilius and to BD for his hints.
    Now back to the sun in the garden….

16. JonP
    Posted September 6, 2015 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

I found this a bit trickier than most by the looks of it. I started pretty quickly but slowed down in the SE area. I think that I was just being a bit slow this morning but hey ho, there ya go.

Enjoyable puzzle, with thanks to BD and Virgilius 2.5*/3.5*

17. Ridgerunner
    Posted September 6, 2015 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

Nice easy sunday puzzle apart from the fact i had trouble with 24a due to having incorrect but good alternative answer to 16d. The alternative definition being “give birth to family” and the answer being what the midwife tells the mother to do during labour-having the first four letters as the correct answer but a different four letter word for “hide”
    Thanks to the setter and BD for the photo that instantly gave ne the answer to 24a

Posted September 6, 2015 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

Loved this puzzle, but, then, I always enjoy Virgilius’s offerings.
    I thought 23a was brilliant and a huge guffaw clue.
    Thanks to Virgilius and to BD for the review, and the explanation for 22a.

19. Young Salopian
    Posted September 6, 2015 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable offering from Virgilus. A good balance throughout, and fair clueing made the harder ones doable. Unlike Kath, I got the four long boundary clues fairly quickly which certainly helped its completion. 2/4 with thanks to our setter and BD for his hints.

20. Hrothgar
    Posted September 6, 2015 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

Gentle and elegant.
    That sounds better than saying easy.
    Last in 5d, a slight stumble in an otherwise fairly smooth flow.
    Many thanks to Virgilius, and to BD.

21. pommers
    Posted September 6, 2015 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

I agree with Hrothgar – “gentle and elegant “just about sums it up. Solved over a bacon butty in the kitchen. Yep, in the kitchen as autumn appears to have arrived here. It’s rained pretty much non-stop for about 36 hours and it’s gone cold, no more than 23C today. Pommette has retreated into her tracksuit and I’m considering putting the light duvet on the bed for tonight.

As for the puzzle it’s */**** from us but 1d was a bit spooky after yresterday.

Many thanks to Virgilius for the crossie and to BD for the Pink Floyd clip.

Posted September 6, 2015 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed this but didn’t find it easy, so 3*/4*. As for favourite clue, l think 13d gets the nod. Thanks to Virgilius, and of course BD.

23. Vancouverbc
    Posted September 6, 2015 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

**/****. Second asterisk because having zipped through most of it had a few late stalls. Thanks to the setter and BD for the review.

24. Angel
    Posted September 6, 2015 at 11:32 pm | Permalink

What a fabulously warm and sunny day we have had in West Sussex after yesterday’s autumnal feel. Spent day in the garden so didn’t come to this until after dinner this evening. Nothing too profound in today’s offering which was helped by a quarter of the solutions being anagrams and long ones at that. No real Favs but 8d raised a smile. **/***. Thanks Mr. Ron and BD.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_neutral.gif

25. Sam Kelly
    Posted September 6, 2015 at 11:56 pm | Permalink

The first time I ever remember ‘say’ in a clue (13d) actually meaning a word for speak, rather than indicating ‘for example’. No wonder it had me fooled for so long!