Hints and tips by Miffypops

BD Rating – Difficulty *Enjoyment ****

A typically Rufusish puzzle today. Lots of anagrams and double definitions. I believe Rufus reads dictionaries for pleasure. I found this at the easier end of the scale. The sun is shining here in the heart of Downtown L.I. Saint Sharon has gone shopping followed by a visit to the hairdressers. I feel I will go hungry until she returns. Such is my life

Good morning everybody and welcome to today’s edition of Big Dave’s Crossword Blog.

Below are my hints and tips to DT cryptic puzzle No 27,882 which will hopefully help you to solve the clues that you are finding difficult. Try the hint first and if you are still in the dark click on the greyed out box that says click here and the answer will be revealed.

After the hints and tips is the comments section. If you want to ask about a clue please ask away. We are a friendly bunch. Somebody is bound to jump in with an extra tip or a clearer explanation than I have given. I am often amazed at the wisdom displayed. Please remember I am only a poorly schooled orphan boy.

1a    Policeman — one in the Flying Squad? (10)
BLUEBOTTLE: This informal and dated term for a police officer is also an unwanted ugly irritating visitor to your house (no not Miffypops)

6a    Quietly unwell? It could be something you’ve taken (4)
PILL: The musical term for quietly is followed by a word meaning unwell or poorly

10a    Meat company going short through prohibition (5)
BACON: The usual abbreviation for company is placed inside a word meaning to prohibit or to bar.

11a    Hour being struck for close acquaintance (9)
NEIGHBOUR: An anagram (struck) of HOUR BEING will lead to somebody Jesus told us to love

12a    Urgent  job for a laundress (8)
PRESSING: A double definition. The second being done after the washing and drying but before the putting away.

13a    Mother and boy who’s in the building trade (5)
MASON: I cannot see anybody needing help with this clue but if you do then here goes. Your Mother is your MA and the boy is her SON. Jude may have been obscure. This clue isn’t.

15a    He has loads of energy (7)
COALMAN: This delivery driver’s load consists of a combustible black or dark brown rock consisting chiefly of carbonized plant matter, found mainly in underground seams and used as fuel. Rumour has it he was as busy with extracurricular affairs as the milkman. My second to last one in

17a    Surely bound to come unstuck (2,5)
NO DOUBT: Until I wrote this up, an unspotted anagram (come unstuck) of BOUND TO

19a    Made light of slipshod editing (7)
IGNITED: Anagram (slipshod) of EDITING

21a    Criticise long dash (7)
PANACHE: Ones élan (dash) comes from a three letter verb meaning to criticise severely and another verb meaning to feel an intense desire for.

22a    An invitation to stop being an outsider (5)
ENTER: A single word invitation to come into a room or building

24a    Watering‘s always in season (8)
SPRAYING: Our poetic form of always inside the first of the four seasons

27a    Southern islander is man with a tan, possibly (9)
TASMANIAN: Anagram (possibly) of IS MAN with A TAN

28a    Trap in sub — ending in sight (1-4)
U-BEND: The answer is hidden within the words of the clue.

29a    Is prone to untruths? (4)
LIES: A double definition.

30a    Artificial intelligence? (10)
PROPAGANDA: Misleading information used to promote a point of view

1d    Ducks often seen going after bits, getting odds and ends? (4)
BOBS: These bits and **** are odds and ends. I feel I could have sat for a million years looking at this clue without twigging the answer until the checking letters went in. Even then it took a while to see that the final letter had to be an S from the plural in the clue. The second letter vowel was then obvious. The parsing less so.

2d    Indefinite truce in an outburst (9)
UNCERTAIN: anagram (outburst) of TRUCE IN AN

3d    Compulsory premarital reading matter that may be objected to (5)
BANNS: These notices are read out on three successive Sundays in church and allow time for objections to a marriage to be raised.

4d    Stress? One isn’t affected (7)
TENSION: Anagram (affected) of ONE ISN’T

5d    Having a baby, but not coming out with the truth? (5-2)
LYING IN: Seclusion or confinement before or after childbirth. Or the telling of fibs but not outside

7d    But they don’t make imprisonment any smoother (5)
IRONS: What we use for smoothing clothes at 12ac is also a word meaning fetters or handcuffs

8d    Glasses with handles, but not tankards (10)
LORGNETTES: A pair of opera glasses with along handle at the side.

9d    Added one’s ringing tones to the conversation? (6,2)
CHIMED IN: The sound of a bell might be used to describe how one Interrupted a conversation.

14d    Colin acted badly in western (10)
OCCIDENTAL: Anagram (badly) of COLIN ACTED

16d    Relevant  information (8)
MATERIAL: A double definition.

18d    Indifference shown for one French enterprise (9)
UNCONCERN: This indifference is formed by adding a word meaning a business to the French number one (masculine)

20d    A brief sleep? That is right (7)
DOSSIER: To sleep in a rough or improvised bed followed by the Latin for that is and the R from R(ight)

21d    Mean to cut vegetable (7)
PARSNIP: Mean or average as on a golf ( not a sport) course followed by a word meaning to cut, maybe with a pair of scissors

23d    Sense that’s shown by people of culture? (5)
TASTE: One of the five senses said to show refinement. Incidentally Rory Gallagher’s early band. Here is a clip

25d    Youthful  Mormon pioneer (5)
YOUNG: The surname of the founder of the Mormons. He was known as The Modern Moses and The Lion of The Lord. I would have clapped him in 7ds

26d    Fancy it could be perfect with student (4)
IDEA: By adding our usual suspect for learner to a fancy or a notion we would find a word meaning perfect.

My favourite clues were 15ac and 1d. My favourite singer is Bob Dylan. He is singing for me right now.

The Quick Crossword pun: purse+specs=Perspex®

Posted August 17, 2015 at 11:57 am | Permalink

My rating is 3*/4* for yet another sparkling puzzle from our Monday maestro, who continues to demonstrate his ability to come up with inventive double meanings and with very creative anagram indicators. I was on course for 2* time but got held up in the SE corner with 30a my last one in.

I didn’t know that 1a was slang for a policeman, and the expression for having a baby in 5d was a new one for me. The brief but elegant 21a was my favourite, with 20d and 21d also deserving a mention.

Many thanks to Rufus and to MP.

Posted August 17, 2015 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Good morning Miffypops. I agree with your rating, light and fun.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

3. George
    Posted August 17, 2015 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Nice enough for me – thoroughly enjoyed it. I have never heard of the terms in 1a or 5d before but did not cause to much of a problem.

2*/4* for me.

4. Jaycat
    Posted August 17, 2015 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Nice easy puzzle for a Monday, did get stuck on 1d,30a,21a. Enjoyed the wordplay and unusual word takes.

2*/3.5*

Thanks MP and setter.

5. Angel
    Posted August 17, 2015 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

As per most Mondays no pain with this offering nor indeed a Fav to nominate. Thanks Rufus and MP who possibly will not be too much in demand today apart from for entertainment after the event. SE corner needed a bit of thought. */**. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_neutral.gif

Posted August 17, 2015 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

Gentle but great fun with some nice misdirection in 21a and 20d. Loved 1a and learnt a new word in 24a Ay meaning always. Couple of nice lurkers and plenty of anagrams to get you going. What more could a Monday morning crossworder want!
    Thx to all.

7. silvanus
    Posted August 17, 2015 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

As with most Rufus puzzles, there seemed to be more anagrams than there actually were (only seven?) plus the usual delicious assortment of cryptic and double definitions, ranging from the very straightforward (29a and 16d) to the cleverly constructed (30a and 7d).

Surprised that RD hadn’t come across the term for a policeman in 1a before, although I suspect this old-fashioned definition and the rather anachronistic answer for 15a confirm that few setters other than Rufus would still use these words.

My favourite vote goes to 8d, excellently clued.

Many thanks to the setter and to Miffypops.

8. Beaver
    Posted August 17, 2015 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

Entertaining start to the week as Rabbit Dave says- ‘from the Monday Maestro’, followed Miffypops in taking an age to parse 1d ,and eventually remembered what my granny used to say after bits and – – – – ,last in ! . 15a raised a chuckle . Goes to show that a puzzle doesn’t have to be difficult to be enjoyable ,going for a **/****.thanks Miffypops for the pics- the irons in 7d ( lovely clue) looked somewhat excessive good job there were no electro magnets at the time!

9. Hanni
    Posted August 17, 2015 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

*/****

R&W Monday is back. Rufus always makes me smile. 11 and 15a were the stand out clues for me today. Quite enjoyed 27a too.

Many thanks to Rufus and to MP for an excellent blog.

10. Ann Atkinson
    Posted August 17, 2015 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

Did it quickly this morning even before going shopping apart from 3d, so stupid I forgot the word had 2 Ns

Posted August 17, 2015 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops for the review and hints. A very enjoyable start to the week. Quite a gentle one today, with lots of amusing clues. Had never heard of the meaning of 5d, missed the anagram in 17a, but got the answers nonetheless. Favourite was 1a, penultimate answer was the same as Miffypops, 15a. Last in was 16d, double definitions always take me a long time. Great entertainment. Was 2*/4* for me. Nice and sunny in Central London.

12. Hilary
    Posted August 17, 2015 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

I haven’t even looked at the crossword yet but I just dropped by to say millions of congratulations to Jane for winning the fiendish puzzle set by Radler. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif

• Miffypops
      Posted August 17, 2015 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

Is her prize to blog next Monday’s Rufus puzzle?

• Hanni
      Posted August 17, 2015 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

Well done Jane! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif

• Shropshirelad
        Posted August 17, 2015 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

Well done from me as well http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

• Kitty
          Posted August 17, 2015 at 10:32 pm | Permalink

Yes – well done, Jane:).

• Jane
      Posted August 17, 2015 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

Thanks, everyone. I’m just glad we only had to submit the answer and not a record of length of time taken to arrive at it!

Posted August 17, 2015 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

I agree with 1* difficulty and will go with 3*/4* for enjoyment.
    No crossword is ever a ‘read and write’ for me but this one was about as close as it’s ever likely to be.
    I don’t think I knew the 1a policeman and although I did know 5d I think it’s a fairly archaic term.
    The wrong ending of the first word of 9d held me up briefly with 17a – still think that my ending fitted the clue better. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif
    I didn’t know the Mormon chap but the answer was obvious.
    I liked 1 and 21a and 3 and 20d.
    Thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops.

Posted August 17, 2015 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

I agree re 5d. The only time I’ve come across the term is in historical books, Elizabethan and such, and didn’t Victoria retire from public by lying in?

• Tstrummer
        Posted August 17, 2015 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

There used to be lying in hospitals – one on the south bank next to what was the HQ of the GLC which is now an aquarium, among other things – mothers would stay there for ages with their babies while fathers paced the corridors smoking, unlike now, when they shove you out the door with a sponsored gift pack of useless items minutes after deliveryand tell you off for smoking in the car park.

• Charles
          Posted August 17, 2015 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

Hospital is now a Premier Inn apparently, but the front at least is still intact.

• Posted August 17, 2015 at 11:52 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Charles

14. Hamble Ferryman
    Posted August 17, 2015 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

This is my sort of puzzle, doable but not a doddle. Thanks to Rufus and MP
    SE corner gave me some grief for a while.

• Miffypops
      Posted August 17, 2015 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

I am coming to Southampton in October. Should I visit Hamble and take the ferry to Warsash?

• Hamble Ferryman
        Posted August 17, 2015 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

Most definitely. Warsash is the poor relation to Hamble but far superior IMHO. Stop off at The Rising Sun for a pint. Sadly I won’t be there to greet you as I left the area many years back.

• Wayne
        Posted August 17, 2015 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

As a Portsmuthian I would question why anyone would visit Southampton !!

• Hamble Ferryman
          Posted August 17, 2015 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

I was in Portsmouth at the weekend dropping daughter at the hover terminal, it hasn’t changed much (sadly). http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

• Tstrummer
            Posted August 17, 2015 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

Portsmouth is to architectural and cultural civilisation what Joe Stalin was to the miniskirt. Used to go to the Marina club back in the day and dance all night to Northern soul with football chums before turning out on Sunday morning in the Berks &Bucks league. Unsurprisingly, we nearly always lost.

• Miffypops
          Posted August 17, 2015 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

I am going to see Bob Dylan at Southampton Guildhall

• Graham
      Posted August 17, 2015 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

Hello Hamble Ferryman, I live in the next village Netley abbey, but went to Hamble secondary school in the 60s.

• Hamble Ferryman
        Posted August 17, 2015 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

Hi Graham. I used to sail round Netley.

15. neveracrossword
    Posted August 17, 2015 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

Good fun. 2*/4*. 8d are not necessarily opera glasses – my grandmother had them for daily use. Thank you MP and Rufus.

16. SheilaP
    Posted August 17, 2015 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Lovely Monday puzzle. Good mixture of general knowledge, which I like, and more cryptic clues. Thank you to the Monday setter and to Miffypops.

Posted August 17, 2015 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Didn’t enjoy it as much.
    Still can’t parse the tankards part of 8d.
    Didn’t know 3d and 5d and 9d were new to me.
    At least MP always brings a smile.
    Thanks to Rufus and MP for the review.

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted August 17, 2015 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

J-L. a tankard is a drinking vessel with a handle.

• jean-luc cheval
        Posted August 17, 2015 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Thanks.
        Very poor clue imho.

18. Omar
    Posted August 17, 2015 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

generally enjoyable puzzle – like others i thought 1a was pretty archaic (though I just about remember it!) and I had to use google for 25a….but I got there in the end despite my jet lag here in NY

19. Gwizz
    Posted August 17, 2015 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

A nice gentle Monday crossword as is (usually) normal. No real problems, not even the birthing one. 2/3* overall and 21a as my fave.
    Thanks to Rufus and to MP for his usually sacrilegious review!http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_whistle3.gif

• Miffypops
      Posted August 17, 2015 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Who? Me? you are having a larf

20. Mary Mary
    Posted August 17, 2015 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

Fun start to a quiet week for an old lady ! */*** No problem for my generation with 1a or 5d ! The birth of the first of our 4 healthy offspring involved compulsory week in bed at a Nursing Home, where the obligatory dose of castor oil beforehand led to a very miserable couple of days for a new mum. Glad to say that, by number 4’s arrival, both horrors had ceased …….Ugh !

21. Terence
    Posted August 17, 2015 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Simply expressing my gratitude. This website regularly saves my day, and my brain from exploding…

• Miffypops
      Posted August 17, 2015 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

We are all happy to be of assistance Terence

22. Liz
    Posted August 17, 2015 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

Quite straightforward puzzle today. Some extremes of clues from very weak…( 29a &15a)….to very funny…(1a)… And very clever (1d)…..this was my favourite. Also thought 20d and 28a were good. Didnt need the hints today, so thanks to setter and MP. 1*/3*

23. Shropshirelad
    Posted August 17, 2015 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

Pleasurable start to the week with a relatively easy puzzle from my 11a (i.e. we both live in Shropshire). Trademark clues abound but I did think that a couple of the cryptic were a tad clunky. But, heyho, he’s a professional and I’m nothttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

Thought 28a was clever – how many went down the U-Boat route? I’ll go for 15a as my favourite as it was my last one in and I sat for a few minutes going through the alphabet in my head before the penny finally dropped D’oh!

Thanks to Rufus for the puzzle and that poorly schooled orphan boy for his usual excellent review (I’ve yet to read it but I’m sure it’s a ‘gimme’)

24. Hilary
    Posted August 17, 2015 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

I love Monday, Miffypops in the chair, Rufus setting the crossword and on the whole I can fill the answers in without too much electronic help. As an avid reader of crime fiction 1a was not a problem and I love anagrams which all made for a relatively smooth trip. Last one in 30a helped by unusual last letter. Favourite 8d just because I love the sound of it. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-phew.gif

25. Wayne
    Posted August 17, 2015 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

Still can’t parse 1d despite the Hints (s), or am I just being thick.

• Graham
      Posted August 17, 2015 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

No comment but you do hail from the other end of the M27!?

• Wayne
        Posted August 17, 2015 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Nice one!

• mre
      Posted August 17, 2015 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

In Northern parts the solution is pretty much synonymous with ‘ducks’ as in ‘he always **** out of his round’. I suspect the setter may have had boxing in mind though.

• andy
        Posted August 17, 2015 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

I went with the latter parsing, but only Rufus will know

Posted August 17, 2015 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

I so look forward to Rufus Mondays, great puzzle.
    I had to google 1a, was not familiar with that term for bobbies.
    Loved 20d and 21d, but fave has to go to 21a.
    I knew 25d; they have a spectacular choir, but not much else.
    Thanks to Rufus and to M’pops for the review, agree wit 1* rating.

27. mre
    Posted August 17, 2015 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

Good afternoon all.

This had all the makings of being the most straightforward puzzle I’ve seen for some time but sadly I was stymied by 8d – a word outside my vocabulary. Also the expression at 5d was unknown to me but easy enough to derive from the clue.

Despite not being able to complete the grid I think this must still go down as one star difficulty and three stars for enjoyment.

With time to spare I was able to take on what turned out to be the very much harder puzzle in another place and after much mental wrangling was able to complete that so a good start to the week here.

28. Jane
    Posted August 17, 2015 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

Another lovely Monday Rufus. 1.5*/3.5* for me with quite a list of ‘ticks’ – 1,21&28a plus 3&20d. Red ribbon goes to 1d.
    Many thanks to Rufus and the ‘poorly schooled orphan boy’. Is that a synonym for a ‘thick b……’ ? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif
    Thought we were getting away lightly with the music choice after 12a – should have known better. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

29. Jay legs
    Posted August 17, 2015 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

I know I shouldn’t say this, as I will live to regret it come Thursday, but was it a little too easy! ? But still enjoyable */*** Thanks to MP and Rufus ?

30. Tstrummer
    Posted August 17, 2015 at 6:47 pm | Permalink

Usual good stuff from Rufus; not too taxing with plenty of smiley moments along the (too short) journey. I have one really minor quibble: 8d. I guess Rufus gets away with it by saying “handles” in the plural, because, of course, the noun for the specs on a handle is singular; it is a lorgnette, so I suppose his myopic person has at least two of them. I had no problem with 5d (see comment above) or, as a Scottish person, with 24a. Despite Liz’s misgivings, I have to award the Legion d’honneur today 15a, with 19a having to make do with a CDM (who remembers that?).
    Many thanks to Rufus for a little splash of joy in the early evening and to MP for a typically opinionated, but unneeded, review. Rory Gallagher was very good, but not one of the greats, in my view. A tad too self-indulgent. And the comely young maiden at 12a looks far too young to have so many children, but that was in the days before the Pill I suppose. No wonder she spent the entire week doing laundry.
    In other news, I managed the first round of golf since the three hand operations; my first time on the course since October last year and I went round in 88 (par71), so am feeling quite pleased with myself. I just need to refind my short game, which was all over the place.

Posted August 17, 2015 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

Congrats on managing the golf, you’ll get better and better the more you play. Keep it up.

• Jane
      Posted August 17, 2015 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

A CDM to me is a Cadbury’s Dairy Milk – is that what you had in mind?
      Pleased to hear that the hand is so much improved, even if I don’t have much appreciation for your choice of exercise!
      Poetry book arrived today – I look forward to dipping into it this evening. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

• Tstrummer
        Posted August 17, 2015 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

A CDM is just that, worth having, but soon gone.
        Golf is not exercise (nor is it sport, not even if you wear shorts), it’s an exercise in mind over matter, or in my my case, I don’t really mind, so it doesn’t really matter.
        I await news of your enjoyment, or otherwise, of MT. She lives by my bed, but I don’t mind her popping round to yours for a while.

31. Paso Doble
    Posted August 17, 2015 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

We struggled a bit with this one – so a **/*** from us. Thanks to Rufus for another enjoyable puzzle and to Miffypops for the usual entertaining review.

32. Robin Newman
    Posted August 17, 2015 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

Actually managed to finish this one without the hints, but enjoyed reading them anyway, for which Thanks

*/**** for me

very enjoyable puzzle-30A clever, I thought

Posted August 17, 2015 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

Gentle but jolly: 1*/4*. A few contenders for favourite clue, but l’ll go for 1d. Thanks to Rufus for getting the week off to a lovely start – just the job after a day spent wafting about in glorious weather off Plymouth – and to MP for the review.

34. Ginny
    Posted August 17, 2015 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

All good. Thank you Rufus and Miffypops for our Monday highlight. I enjoyed 19a and 8d. I wonder who are the unfortunates illustrated in 7d?

• Hanni
      Posted August 17, 2015 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

Antti Isotalo and Antti Rannanjarvi. They were 19th centuary Finnish farmers and ‘puukkijunkkari’..trouble makers. They got up to all manner of naughty things.

• Ginny
        Posted August 17, 2015 at 11:08 pm | Permalink

Hanni, that’s marvellous. Thank you so much for that. Have you seen this picture before?

• Hanni
          Posted August 17, 2015 at 11:10 pm | Permalink

I’d like to say that I’m an expert in Finnish history..but..I just Googled the picture for you. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

35. Kitty
    Posted August 17, 2015 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

I am liable to get something of a mental block when told something is easy. This can be an issue on Mondays – and accidentally seeing the 1* on the review before starting didn’t help. That said, most of this was smooth enough sailing but then I hit a choppy patch with 15a/16d and so snuck a peek at the hints. I didn’t know the term for confinement in 5d but it was perfectly guessable. The slang term for policeman was something dredged up from the recesses of my murk-filled brain, but it was at least there to be fished out from amidst the rusty shopping trolleys and suchlike.

It’s rare for me to go for a naked cryptic definition as favourite, but I really liked 30a. Simple as it was, the Kitties also enjoyed 26d.

Many thanks to Rufus and Miffypops.

P.S. I think I would have illustrated 25d with this: