Hints and tips by 2Kiwis

BD Rating – Difficulty **** – Enjoyment ****

Tena koutou, tena koutou, tena koutou katoa (Greetings, Greetings, Greetings to you all).
As it is quite a long time since we last used a Maori greeting here, we thought we would re-use this formal greeting that is often used as the opening line of an oration given on a marae.
We don’t need to play the game of “guess the setter” on a Wednesday. We know it is going to be Jay and we know it is going to be fun. Today we had to work quite a lot harder than usual too.

Please leave a comment telling us your thoughts on today’s puzzle.

1a     Resentment covering anxieties of a roguish hero (10)
PICARESQUE : A word derived from French meaning resentment or animosity contains a five letter word for anxieties.
images

6a     Guess what Boycott used to make a comeback (4)
STAB : Reverse the implements that  Sir Geoffrey used in his playing days.

9a     Stains must be linked of course (3-4)
TIE-DYES : The answer is a verb and split 4,3 gives a word meaning linked or laced together and one meaning ‘of course’.

10a     Join search at home with energy (7)
COMBINE : String together a word meaning to search intensely, the usual ‘at home’ and E(nergy).

12a    Plausible criminal indulges voter (6-7)
SILVER-TONGUED :  An anagram (criminal) of INDULGES VOTER.

14a     Need a tip off when there’s little difference, in the main (4,4)
NEAP TIDE : An anagram (off) of NEED A TIP. The main here has its maritime meaning.

15a     Perhaps mother should have time for runs? It’s evident (6)
PATENT : Start with what a mother (or father) is an example of and replace its R(uns) with T(ime).

17a     Call back in case of rapid decision from judge? (6)
REMAND : The case of rapid is its first and last letters. This surrounds a word meaning to call or identify written backwards.

19a     Occasional point in competition at the outset (8)
PERIODIC : A word meaning a point or a full stop in America is followed by the first letters of in and competition.

21a     Messenger from inspector’s area added condition (8,5)
DISPATCH-RIDER : A Detective Inspector’s abbreviation and the area in which he/she works is followed by an added condition on a legal document.
images

24a     Dread changing after church to get something to eat (7)
CHEDDAR : An anagram (changing) of DREAD follows CH(urch).
images

25a     Ghoulish hack driven across Hackney? (7)
MACABRE : A word for a female horse surrounds what a hackney is a type of.

26a     Drink is good, say, regularly (4)
SODA : Alternate letters found within the words of the clue.

27a     Rest, guys — no rampaging kids! (10)
YOUNGSTERS : An anagram (rampaging) of REST GUYS NO.

1d     Close up, there’s loads (4)
POTS : The reversal of a word meaning to close or put an end to.

2d     Capital area otherwise absorbed by endless talk (7)
CHELSEA : A four letter synonym for otherwise is included in a word for talk without its last letter.

3d     Three men — plus father carrying king’s colours (5,8)
ROYAL STANDARD : The three men are three shortened men’s names 3,2,4, then a word for father with the abbreviation for R(ex) included.
images

4d     Freezes disbursals, including American (8)
SUSPENDS : The abbreviation for United States is inside a word for dispersals of money.

5d     Hurt by naked hunk offering such diamonds? (5)
UNCUT : The two central letters of hunk precede a word for hurt with a sharp object.
imgres

7d     Almost attempted to hog only commendation (7)
TRIBUTE : Take a word meaning attempted, drop its last letter and include a word meaning only. (Perhaps hog as an inclusion indicator might be stretching it a bit?).

8d    Tired backs ordered this with Italian meal (10)
BREADSTICK : An anagram (ordered) of TIRED BACKS. The Italian name would be ‘grissino’.

11d     Chinese official avoids such wildlife (8,5)
MANDARIN DUCKS : This Chinese official avoids by bobbing down.
images

13d     Presents discounter ordered? (10)
INTRODUCES : The answer is a verb and is an anagram (ordered) of DISCOUNTER.

16d     Transport worker‘s key blunder — many must be worried (8)
FERRYMAN : A musical key, a three letter blunder and an anagram (must be worried) of MANY.
images

18d     Crazy about island, give out false information (7)
MISLEAD : A shorter word for an island is inside a word meaning crazy.

20d     Denim underwear, initially, right fit and hard-wearing (7)
DURABLE : The first letters of denim and underwear, then R(ight) and a word for fit or competent.

22d     Load vehicle and set off (5)
CARGO : String together a three letter vehicle and a two letter word for depart.

23d     Runs security check on retired servicemen (4)
VETS : A double definition, the second is mainly used in the United States for returned soldiers.

1a was our last answer in and caused much beak scratching so gets our vote for favourite.

Quickie pun   canny  +  stairs  =  canisters

1. George
    Posted July 29, 2015 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Definitely a bit tricky. I was very, very slow in starting and getting a foothold. Thanks to the anagrams, progress picked up but quite challenging for me today. Despite that, quite enjoyable and a sense of achievement when done.

I would rate it as 3*/4*.

Thanks to 2K and setter.

2. JonP
    Posted July 29, 2015 at 11:07 am | Permalink

I found it tricky to get going, but once I did I found it pretty straightforward. Struggled a bit with 1ac and had to look up the word that I contrived from the wordplay to make sure it existed. Thanks to the 2Kiwis and Jay 1.5*/4*

Posted July 29, 2015 at 11:07 am | Permalink

4*/4*. I agree totally with the 2Ks. A tough challenge, particularly in the NW corner, but one which was a lot of fun. 1a was a new word for me, and my last one in. I missed the full wordplay for 9a, and needed the hint for this.

It’s very unusual for me to pick a Lego clue as my favourite, but today the elegant 3d gets my vote

Many thanks to Jay and the 2Ks.

4. Hilary
    Posted July 29, 2015 at 11:07 am | Permalink

No I have not even looked at the crossword but I thought that I should let you know that if, by any chance, you find that you are flip-flopless and are within easy reach of Southwold in Suffolk there is a brand-new shop in the Market Place dedicated to selling only flip-flops.

• Collywobbles
      Posted July 29, 2015 at 11:12 am | Permalink

I could really do with a case of Adnams’ Broadside if anybody goes and they will be rewarded hansomly.

• Miffypops
      Posted July 29, 2015 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

I have two left feet. Do they sell Flip Flips?

• Ginny
        Posted July 29, 2015 at 11:23 pm | Permalink

whatever it is you’re on should be bottled and given out instead of anti depressants :)

5. Robin Newman
    Posted July 29, 2015 at 11:11 am | Permalink

needed hints to parse 9A

liked 1A and 27A

***/**** for me

Posted July 29, 2015 at 11:17 am | Permalink

18d was my first one in , so that tells you how slow a start it was.I picked up pace eventually.
    3d is my favourite, with 21a a very close second.
    Tena Koutou to both of you , Kiwis.
    Thanks Ray T.

Posted July 29, 2015 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

No – not Ray T today – it’s Jay on Wednesdays.

• Una
        Posted July 29, 2015 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Oops !

7. dutch
    Posted July 29, 2015 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Many thanks 2K for a lovely blog. I was interested to see that you feed your cheese grass. It reminded me of a menu item I saw a while ago “free-range sausages”, which has left a vivid image in my mind.

I agree today was a bit harder, the NW corner was my last and in the end I had to cheat on 1a. But many lovely clues.

9a (stains must be linked of course) was nice because it had nothing to do with golf. 12a (plausible criminal indulges voter) I though was a lovely clue with a fantastic anagram. 14a (need a tip off when there’s little difference) is also a very nice anagram. I thought the surface reading in 17a (call back in case of rapid decision from judge) was particularly good. I also liked 27a, especially “rampaging”, and 20d with “denim underwear”

Many thanks Jay and thanks again 2Kiwis, kia ora

8. mre
    Posted July 29, 2015 at 11:57 am | Permalink

An early visit to the caff today rewarded with a straight ahead but fairly enjoyable puzzle that was completed in short order freeing up the newspaper for quickie man.

Last three in were 1d, 1a and 5d, with 1a probably being my favourite. Didn’t see the logic behind 19a at all.

Two/three for me.

9. Omar
    Posted July 29, 2015 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

what a great puzzle! 9a was my nemesis…..

Posted July 29, 2015 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Tricky but less so than yesterday’s I thought, perhaps a ***/****. Never heard of 1a before but the wordplay was very fair. Found some of the anagrams tough esp 12a and 27a. Fav clue was 21a followed by 25a. Thx to the 2kiwis for the explanation of 17a for which I had the answer without fully understanding the clue.
    Let’s hope this afternoons golf is as enjoyable.
    Thx to all.

Posted July 29, 2015 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Jay and to the 2 Kiwis for the review and hints. A very enjoyable but very tricky puzzle. I had the last letter of 9a wrong, I was thinking of Robert Plant tie died on the highway. That stopped me getting 4d. Also needed the hints for 1d&1a, the latter I had never heard of. Was 4*/3* for me. Very cloudy and cool in Central London. Unfortunately it’s the raining at Edgbaston. Come on England.

12. Vince
    Posted July 29, 2015 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

19a. Although I guessed at the answer early on, it took a while for the penny to drop. I think the clue could have indicated that it was a US point we were looking for.

Posted July 29, 2015 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

I completely agree with Kiwis – tricky – 4* difficulty – very enjoyable so 4* for that too.
    It took me ages to even get started – I was beginning to think that I might be in trouble for the second day running.
    2d was my last answer as I thought that I was on the hunt for a capital city – dim – and I couldn’t do that one until I did 1a which I’ve never heard of. Oh dear!
    I got 9a and vaguely wondered what the ‘of course’ had to do with anything – didn’t realise until I read the hint.
    I was slow with 16d and 19a took a long time to understand why.
    I think if I was in a picky mood, which I’m not, I’d say that 9a was a method used in dying rather than the stains themselves but wha’ever, as they say!
    I liked 27a and 11d. My favourite was 3d.
    With thanks to Jay and the 2 K’s.

Posted July 29, 2015 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

PS Ignore what I said about 9a – it’s fine as a verb – I was being dim again. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Posted July 29, 2015 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

I must have been right on wavelength because I had no problems with this…or so I thought, until the review. Then I saw that the definition to 15A was not “Perhaps Mother.” That would explain why I couldn’t parse it. I did know 1A, though, and it’s my favorite today, closely followed by 21A. Thanks, Jay and the 2Kiwis.

The toughie is putting up a fight….

15. Cat
    Posted July 29, 2015 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed this and thought it was slightly easier than yesterday. Thanks to 2 Kiwis for explanations and to setter. I did know 1a but it was one of the last in.

16. Franco
    Posted July 29, 2015 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

i always enjoy the Jay puzzle on Wednesday – this one even better than usual.

Thanks to 2Kiwis for helping me with the Double Definition!

Whakawhetai ki a koutou!

• 2Kiwis
      Posted July 29, 2015 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

17. overtaxed
    Posted July 29, 2015 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

A very enjoyable solve. Top left was tough, though eventually got 1a which gave me all the checkers for 2d, when Like Kath, I realised I was not looking for a Capital City.
    Lots of good clues, so no favourite for me today. ***/***

18. Young Salopian
    Posted July 29, 2015 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Hugely enjoyable puzzle today. My stubborn refusal to look at the hints slowed me down and pushed into 4/4 as well as many fellow contributors. 1a was new to me, and I did make it a bungitin as my last entry in the grid. The 2Ks confirmed my suspicions in their excellent blog. Raining here in the Marches, but hope it is dry at Edgbaston for the test this afternoon. Thanks to setter for a top head scratcher.

19. williamus
    Posted July 29, 2015 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Early visit here for inspiration after I’d spent as long as I was prepared to after getting bogged down half-way through. As ever, one or two went in without fully understanding why and some nice anagrams helped with completion. 1a was last in and my favourite: cleverly constructed. Thanks to the setter, the 2 Kiwis and as ever Mr Chambers.

20. JohnMc
    Posted July 29, 2015 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Just to add my 2p’s worth, regarding 25a. a Mare is, indeed a female horse, however, it is more likely the clue refers to Mare Street, which is Hackney’s main thoroughfare.

• Expat Chris
      Posted July 29, 2015 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

Do you think so? I would have thought your interpretation much less likely than the straightforward one listed in the blog, since knowing a particular street in a particular area of London is what I would consider rather specialized knowledge.

Posted July 29, 2015 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

I think you’re probably wrong and I agree with the Kiwis and Expat Chris. Interesting try, though!

• Liz
      Posted July 29, 2015 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

A Hackney is also a type of horse…..used to draw carriages…hence the term ‘Hackney carriage.’

21. Jay legs
    Posted July 29, 2015 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

I found it very tricky :( but enjoyable :) I had to have a hint for 19a & 18a TUVM to the 2 x “Ks” and Jay

Posted July 29, 2015 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable, but not that tricky: 2*/4* or so. Perhaps l was just on wavelength! 14a is right up my maritime street, so gets my vote for top clue. Thanks to Jay, and thanks and welcome back to the Antipodean Duo.

23. Jane
    Posted July 29, 2015 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

Had all sorts of problems with the NW corner. Didn’t know the word at 1a, put the wrong ending on 9a (having missed the wordplay) and was obsessed with some sort of contraction of ‘near thing’ for 14a.
    Needless to say, it took a long time to get 4d as a result.
    Oh yes – also got the answer to 12a long before the penny dropped re: the anagram and was another who got completely misdirected by ‘capital’ in 2d.

Hard work to get the grid filled but plenty of contenders for the throne – 25a plus 3,11,16&23d. 3d takes the honours for being such a perfect laugh out loud moment. Happy to agree 2Ks 4*/4* judgement.

Thumbs up to Jay for an excellent puzzle and many thanks to 2Ks who managed to unravel 1a in time for the review – most impressive! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

• Miffypops
      Posted July 29, 2015 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Your clue of the day has a throne? Of it’s very own? How posh! They do things differently in Anglesey I see.

• Jane
        Posted July 29, 2015 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

You would be amazed at the things we have on Anglesey these days, MP. The standard of education has also improved to the point where we can all spell breadstick correctly as well! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cool.gif

• Miffypops
          Posted July 29, 2015 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

I went there once. Can’t say I remember any of it. The bridge and a power station I think.

• Miffypops
          Posted July 29, 2015 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

Easter 1975

24. Jaycat
    Posted July 29, 2015 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Finished the east side quite early on but then got stuck in the west, the key word was 17a which I got wrong three times before I got the right word!.
    Definitely more difficult than yesterday and not quite so enjoyable for me. Good to learn new words though.
    Interesting wordplay which puzzles me at times.

4*/3*

Thanks to 2Ks and Jay.

25. neveracrossword
    Posted July 29, 2015 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

Challenging but very enjoyable. I’ve had the opportunity to tackle some crosswords in the Times recently. I found those much easier than the last 2 DT back-pagers.
    Thanks to setter and 2Ks.

26. Liz
    Posted July 29, 2015 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

This was a bit tricky. I managed OK until the top of the NW corner eluded me, so had to have help with 1a… Not a word I was familiar with, but once that was sorted, everything else slotted in OK. I did have some trouble with 19a, trying to fit in ‘spasmodic’, and nearly came unstuck with 25a where I was convinced the word was ‘incubus’, which made 16d and 23d unsolvable. Then there was 2d, which I racked my poor brain over, thinking it was some far flung capital city, when all along it was my ‘other’ home team! Up the Blues! Now living in Norfolk, so a Norwich City supporter, but used to live in West London, within spitting distance of Stamford Bridge, so they count as my first home team ( that was when they used to have greyhound racing at the stadium). As I had to use the hints for 1a this brought the puzzle into 3* for difficulty, but very enjoyable, so 4* for that. Favourite clues were 11d, 12a and 25a. Thanks to setter and to 2Ks for hints.

27. Miffypops
    Posted July 29, 2015 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

Rubbish. Rubbish. Rubbish. Me. Not the crossword puzzle. I could not get 1ac despite having all the checkers in. An 8d spelling mistake messed up my chances of getting 15 and 18 ac. 21ac is not an order so the O messed up 16d. This used to happen all the time with pen and paper. I thought the iPad had stopped all that nonsense. Thanks to The 2Ks for sorting out the muddle. Thanks also to Jay, I always like to have some food in a puzzle. It helps. 24 across went very nicely with 8 down. Thank,you again

28. Florence
    Posted July 29, 2015 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Must be one of the few who actually got 1a…..then couldn’t get 2d. Found this puzzle a lot of fun, and a bit less challenging than others of late. Liked 11d. We have two ducks George and Mildred (well not ours, they seem to have adopted us). They have landed in our garden late spring for the last 7 yrs, and went missing a couple of weeks ago, so feared the worst. Neighbour across the road has just sent me a text to say that Mildred is sitting in her very small fish pond with ducklings, so I’m off in the minute to have a look. Thanks to setter and to 2kiwis. Also to Merusa for letting me know about the sequel to Daddy long legs. I bought it this morning, and shall look forward to reading it.

Posted July 29, 2015 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

I hope you enjoy Dear Enemy. I have them both on my Kindle.

• Poppy
        Posted July 29, 2015 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

Oh I loved both those books, too!

• Jane
      Posted July 29, 2015 at 11:47 pm | Permalink

I’ve just ordered them both! Haven’t read Dear Enemy before and couldn’t find my old copy of Daddy Long Legs. Turns out that you can now buy a ‘two in one’ book.

29. Miffypops
    Posted July 29, 2015 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

I am pleased to say that it has been quite some time since any of the bloggers has used an inappropriate illustration. The site is all the better for it.

Posted July 29, 2015 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

I found this difficult and I completely missed 4d and 23d. Like Jane, I wrote the wrong ending for 9a which made 4d a very strange word.
    Definitely **** for difficulty, but I think a bit less enjoyable than yesterday, but that was a very special puzzle.
    Fave was 3d, with 12a following on its heels.
    Thanks to Jay and to 2Kiwis for helping with the missing answers!

Posted July 29, 2015 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

NW corner took a long long time to solve.
    And before that it was the SE as I was trying to bung in sporadic in 19a.
    Favourite is 25a.
    Thanks to Jay and to 2ks for the review.

32. Annidrum
    Posted July 29, 2015 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-phew.gifSo relieved to see that most others found this very challenging but nevertheless enjoyable. In the very olden days in the U.K we were taught that the full stop was a period. I don’t know if that’s still the case or not. Thanks to Jay & The 2 Kiwis

• Hrothgar
      Posted July 29, 2015 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

Yes, I, too, seem to remember that from many, many years ago in Infants School.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

• Expat Chris
      Posted July 29, 2015 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

Still the case in the USA.

• Angel
        Posted July 29, 2015 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

Exactly – hadn’t learnt that at school here in UK so when living and working in the U.S. I had to remind myself to say ‘period’ rather than ‘full stop’

33. George
    Posted July 29, 2015 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

I’m new to cryptic crosswords and spent 2 hours getting only 2 answers, before discovering your excellent website! Thanks. I’ll be back tomorrow, George

Posted July 29, 2015 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog, George. We have another regular commenter called George so perhaps you could select a different alias.

• 2Kiwis
      Posted July 29, 2015 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

Welcome from us too George. Good to have you aboard. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

• Ginny
      Posted July 29, 2015 at 11:36 pm | Permalink

Welcome. Maybe you could be George III.

34. Hrothgar
    Posted July 29, 2015 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

Brilliant, yet difficult puzzle.
    Got a substantial foothold then came to a shuddering ( or is that juddering) halt at the North West corner.
    Then, ages later, got 1d and the remaining solutions flowed like milk and honey.
    Many thanks Jay and the 2KWs for the review.

35. Gwizz
    Posted July 29, 2015 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed today’s offering from Jay. Like several others I was almost despairing of starting until 21a came to my rescue and although the NW corner put up some resistance I eventually scrambled to completion. I liked 9a, memories of a long time ago….
    3/4*
    Thanks to Jay, and the AD for their review.

Posted July 29, 2015 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

Good morning all. It is always a delight to get up early on our Thursday morning to find our inbox overflowing with emails reporting comments. And then the sense of relief when we find we have made no major stuff-ups with the review. Cheers.

37. Hanni
    Posted July 29, 2015 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

****/***

A tad tricky but fine fun.

Plenty of anagrams to help me along but 1a was a complete guess. It was a correct guess but definitely a ‘bung it in and check later’ moment. Kept thinking 2d was referring to any other capital other than our own.

Many thanks to Jay and to the 2Kiwis for blogging. A wonderful read as always.

38. Poppy
    Posted July 29, 2015 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

Thanks 2Ks for an illuminating set of hints. And I loved your Maori greeting. A raised glass back to you! Thanks to the setter. Anyone else had warning of their iPad subscription being given a steep shove upwards?

39. Hilary
    Posted July 29, 2015 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

Oh no not **** again, having pratically gone into orbit yesterday with the joy of solving a four star one I could not believe that I would not be heading back into the cupboard under the stairs with my nice new box of tissues. However, I struggled through with a certain amount of electronic help and am now off to read my book. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-phew.gif

• Hilary
      Posted July 29, 2015 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

How rude I forgot to say thank you to Jay and 2Kiwis http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_redface.gif

40. Angel
    Posted July 29, 2015 at 9:19 pm | Permalink

Whole day at Glorious Goodwood without even smelling a winner so pleased to return home and drown my sorrows with this super puzzle accompanied by a glass (or two!) of grape juice. Pleased I wasn’t alone in finding the NW corner challenging to say the least but that largely due to not sussing 1a. Bunged in 3d without parsing. Liked 11d and 21a. Altogether much fun was had along the way so TVM Jay and indeed 2Ks. ****/****. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

• Miffypops
      Posted July 29, 2015 at 10:08 pm | Permalink

I offered to take a Saint Sharon to Glorious Goodwood for her birthday yesterday. The lady turned it down. No idea why.

• Angel
        Posted July 29, 2015 at 11:17 pm | Permalink

Maybe it’s not the Saint’s scene but I love it – quite my favourite course/meeting. Have to admit the chilly weather and no luck with the gee-gees (just noticed predictive text changed this to gee-goes!) today made it slightly less than “glorious” and I gather yesterday was similar weatherwise but it’s always a great day out. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_razz.gif

• mre
          Posted July 29, 2015 at 11:23 pm | Permalink

It always looks great on the box. I’d love to get along there one day.

• Angel
            Posted July 29, 2015 at 11:48 pm | Permalink

I can highly recommend it. Amazing that in today’s big race, the Qatar Sussex Stakes, they were racing for £1 million!http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif

• Jane
              Posted July 30, 2015 at 12:00 am | Permalink

Used to be something I really enjoyed until one Cheltenham meeting where a horse fell almost in front of us, the green screens went up and the vet summarily despatched it. No more – not ever. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cry.gif

• Miffypops
                Posted July 30, 2015 at 1:53 am | Permalink

A friend of mine took his family to Warwick Races for a family picnic and set up by one of the fences. Pre screens. A horse fell and was shot right in front of them.
                His lad aged about ten cried for weeks. When his dad told me that story. I mentioned it to the lad who worked behind the bar in the pub where his dad and I drank. He cried at the memory.

41. Kitty
    Posted July 29, 2015 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

I also found it a wee bit trickier than usual, but then I was feeling denser than usual so feared it might be just me. Happy to see the four difficulty stars, and agree too that this was a top puzzle.

Like others I was held up in the NW, with 1a last to fall. It was a great way to end and is my favourite clue today.

Thanks to Jay and the Kiwis.

42. Framboise
    Posted July 29, 2015 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

Immensely enjoyed but made a bit of a dog’s dinner of a few clues. Went wrong with order instead of rider for 21 a – probably traumatised by not having got yesterday’s order of the day – so decided that sepoyman would be my bizarre answer for 16d and gave up on 15a and settling for parent, knowing well that this was not correct. Apart from that everything went well!!!! Favourite was 11d. Agree with the 2Ks for ****/****. Many thanks to Jay for challenging my brain cells and to the 2Ks for their much needed review. Funnily enough my first one in was 1d!

43. Jane
    Posted July 30, 2015 at 12:22 am | Permalink

Hi TS,
    Think my copy of Harbour is coming via Amazon so it seems I may be getting the ‘wrong’ one! I’ve also now ordered the Selected Poems – quite a literary circle you’ve started up!

Thank you so much for ‘The Last Corner’ – I’ve read it many times today and will doubtless continue to do so. So many ways to interpret the words and all of them so hopelessly sad – can’t remember the last time such a few lines affected me so much. Who wrote it?

• Tstrummer
      Posted July 30, 2015 at 1:49 am | Permalink

I did. Glad you like it

• Miffypops
        Posted July 30, 2015 at 1:54 am | Permalink

Blooming Heck.

44. Tstrummer
    Posted July 30, 2015 at 1:58 am | Permalink

Just a quickie from me tonight. I’ve got to be up in a few hours for 25 minutes of live radio, and I’ve no idea what to talk about in my “light-hearted look” at the week’s news. Ho hum. Before I discovered this splendid site, I always used to do my homework for the morning on coming home from work the night before and save Jay for some other time, but now I have to do his puzzle and come here instead of writing the scripts/ notes that I need but seldom use. I believe it may be an addiction. I need my nightly fix to catch up with you all. And I wasn’t helped by this rather more tricky than usual challenge. I found it much harder than yesterday’s Shamus, but got there in the end. Some terrific clues, 1a being my favourite, which let me get 1 and 2d (I was in the far-flung foreign capital brigade for far too long). Hasta pronto. 3*/3*