Hints and tips by Gazza

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment **

I thought that this was pretty straightforward but there may be a couple of problems lurking if you don’t know your England cricket captains or have never read Morte D’Arthur. Do let us know how you got on and give us your thumbs up or thumbs down.

If you click on any of the areas showing ‘Click here!’ you’ll see the actual answer so only do that as a last resort.

Across Clues

1a Something simple to do in ‘Pinocchio’, say, when staged (6,4)
CHILD’S PLAY – double definition. The second defines the target audience for a drama about Pinocchio, for example.

6a Finish second, then first (4)
STOP – the abbreviation for second followed by an adjective meaning first (in a league table, say).

10a Moon having brownish colour around it (5)
TITAN – a moon of Saturn comes from a brownish colour containing IT.

11a Later, adorn part of ship (9)
AFTERDECK – charade of an adverb meaning later and a verb to adorn or decorate.

12a Cricketer, in awful heat, getting runs — 100 (8)
ATHERTON – this is an England cricket captain of the 1990s who is currently a television commentator and journalist. Start with an anagram (awful) of HEAT, then add the abbreviation for runs and an informal word for 100.

13a Type of printer seen over in hardware sale (5)
LASER – hidden (seen … in) and reversed (over) in the clue.

15a Distinguished each sportsman originally on pitch (3-4)
ALL-STAR – bring together a synonym for each or every, the first (originally) letter of sportsman and pitch (the sticky, black stuff).

17a Dye master spy’s employed (7)
MAGENTA – the degree of a master of arts with a spy inserted (employed, in the sense of retained).

18a Throwing away doughy piece of food left out (7)
DUMPING – a doughy lump of food without the L(eft).

21a Golden syrup from tin initially put on flaky cereal (7)
TREACLE – the initial letter of tin followed by an anagram (flaky) of CEREAL.

23a Composer from Hanover discovered (5)
VERDI – hidden (from) in the clue. Isn’t it time that this composer was given some time off?

24a Group of characters from Bath, pale in resort (8)
ALPHABET – an anagram (in re-sort) of BATH PALE.

27a Somewhat slow, Republican to enter US city slum area (9)
LARGHETTO – this is a musical instruction to play somewhat slowly. Insert R(epublican) between the abbreviation for a US city on the west coast and a slum area in a city.

28a Fight in shed (5)
SCRAP – double definition, the second to shed or discard.

29a Toy not starting — current is needed (4)
EDDY – drop the initial T from a child’s toy.

30a Request, daily, a note of Westminster schedule (5,5)
ORDER PAPER – this is a document produced daily which lists what’s scheduled for that day at Westminster in terms of debates, committee meetings, etc. Separate ones are produced for the Commons and the Lords. It’s a charade of a request or demand and a daily (such as the Telegraph).

Down Clues

1d Sweet tea finally polished off by copper (4)
CUTE – tea without its last letter (finally polished off) comes after the chemical symbol for copper.

2d Altogether fashionable lot at broadcast (2,5)
IN TOTAL – an adverb meaning fashionable or trendy followed by an anagram (broadcast) of LOT AT.

3d Maybe reel in fish, indefinite number caught (5)
DANCE – a small, freshwater fish with the letter used to mean an indefinite number caught inside it.

4d Adhesive material I stripped from column (7)
PLASTER – a rectangular column attached to a wall has its I stripped out.

5d An American theatre award presented to male opposite (7)
ANTONYM – string together AN (from the clue), the common name for a theatre award in New York and M(ale).

7d Logic behind Throckmorton’s capital crime (7)
TREASON – this Throckmorton is Sir Francis who in 1583 led a Roman Catholic plot to assassinate Queen Elizabeth and put Mary, Queen of Scots on the English throne. A word meaning logic or rationality follows the first (capital) letter of Throckmorton.

8d Fire-raiser confronted is giving nothing away (5-5)
POKER-FACED – charade of an implement used to stir up a fire and a past participle meaning confronted or met head-on.

9d Foreword for the record, we hear (8)
PROLOGUE – a prefix meaning for (in support of) is followed by what sounds like the record (of a ship’s journey, for example).

14d For all to see, wicked person in farewell show (10)
VAUDEVILLE – the letter indicating that a film can be seen by all ages and an evil person or fiend go inside the Latin word (singular version) for farewell.

16d Mean to go round with one on lake in the gloaming (8)
TWILIGHT – an adjective meaning mean or miserly goes round W(ith), the Roman numeral for one and L(ake).

19d Again, reportedly fear disposing of a rebellious knight (7)
MORDRED – this is the name of a traitor at the court of King Arthur. What sounds like (reportedly) an adverb meaning again or in addition is followed by a word for fear or terror without its A.

20d Greek looking for hard worker (7)
GRAFTER – the abbreviation for Greek and a preposition meaning looking for or in pursuit of. They need more of a miracle worker at the moment.

21d First-class spinner opening (3-4)
TOP-HOLE – charade of a child’s toy that spins and an opening.

22d Poor Clare, raised and put in order (5,2)
CLEAR UP – an anagram (poor) of CLARE is followed by an adverb meaning raised.

25d A model upset satirist (5)
AESOP – A (from the clue) followed by the reversal (upset, in a down clue) of a verb to model or sit.

26d Pole, not required, finished early (4)
SPAR – an adjective meaning not required or surplus without its last letter (finished early).

My clue of the day is 8d. How about you?

Today’s Quickie Pun: TAY + LAW + MADE = TAILOR-MADE

Posted July 7, 2015 at 11:05 am | Permalink

3*/1*. Sadly I found this offering a big clunky and lacklustre. I completed the first three quarters in about par for my 2* time but the SW corner delayed me considerably, taking my overall time up to 3*. 29a & 19d completely flummoxed me, and I needed Gazza’s hints to solve these.

One ray of light was 7d, my favourite today.

Thanks to the setter and to Gazza.

Posted July 7, 2015 at 11:25 am | Permalink

I completely disagree with Rabbit Dave on this occasion, I found this puzzle slick and entertaining the only slight problem was in discovering the cluing in 14d for the letter U which I should have picked up and missed. So nice from a personal point of view to have a completely secular crossword, no clergy, churches, bishops, imams or hymns in any way shape or form! For me it was a **/**** with my favourite being 12a (a cricket clue, what else!), sorry Kath.
    Thx to the Setter for a great puzzle and to Gazza for explaining 14d. Now back to reading Prolix excellent piece on the mechanics of crosswords.

3. dutch
    Posted July 7, 2015 at 11:37 am | Permalink

I managed to get the cricket clue unaided! Must be slowly learning something…

Clues that tickled me were 18a (throwing away doughy piece of food left out) and 4d (adhesive material stripped from column), both for flawless surface reading.

many thanks setter and Gazza

Posted July 7, 2015 at 11:41 am | Permalink

http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-phew.gif I found this really difficult – I also enjoyed it, so more than 2* for both difficulty and enjoyment from me today.
    Having read all the clues through once I only had a few answers – they did include the hidden ones – when I get them before many others I know I’m in trouble!
    Having finished now I’m really not sure why I had such a struggle but I just did – cricket captains and naughty knights didn’t help much.
    I liked 30a (even though I didn’t know it) and 5, 7 and 8d.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and to gazza.
    Might have a go at the Toughie – if I have as much trouble with that as I did with this one I’ll probably spend the rest of the day hunting for my missing marbles. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

Posted July 7, 2015 at 11:46 am | Permalink

With the exception of Brian, if anyone needs tissues or even very much time to do today’s “Toughie”, I’ll eat my Daily Telegraph.

Posted July 7, 2015 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Oh – damn – you mean that because I could do the Toughie doesn’t necessarily mean that the marbles are intact!
      Off to watch the tennis and have a bit of a sulk. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

Posted July 7, 2015 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Agree with both Gazza’s ratings and RD’s lacklustre – I can’t remember much about this puzzle some three hours after solving it. Thanks to the Mysteron and Gazza.

As I’ve just said to Kath, the Toughie is extremely ‘Tuesday-ish’

• Brian
      Posted July 7, 2015 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Does that mean it is within my limited capability?

Posted July 7, 2015 at 11:53 am | Permalink

• Brian
          Posted July 7, 2015 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Had a go but not a chance! Clues like Crawl in Finchely are totally meaningless to me I’m afraid. Far too difficult for me.

• Miffypops
            Posted July 7, 2015 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

That would be **** Brian. If that helps

Posted July 7, 2015 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed this. I worked out 12A all by my own self and knew 19D. 27A was a new word for me but straightforward to work out. I missed the first word of 30A, though, and needed the review for the full parsing of 14D. 29A is my favorite. Thanks to the setter and Gazza.

Posted July 7, 2015 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed most of it but the lower half held out longer than I would have liked.
    My favourite was 5d.
    Thanks to all.
    I am going to defer the pleasure of the Toughie and try and get something done about the house and garden.

8. Miffypops
    Posted July 7, 2015 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

All doable from the wordplay so very fair. As Gazza said quite straightforward. I wanted Athlete or athletic for the cricketer but settled for good old Michael instead. 3d was the last one in. It certainly reeled me in for a while. Thanks to the setter and Thanks to Gazza. Thanks to the Sun God for shining while I mowed the camping field and thanks to the Rain god for keeping away. The food God (Saint Sharon is preparing a salad sandwich with everything in it. Impossible to eat without making a mess. Yum Yum. We can then sit back and watch the end of the mens proper tennis before we watch the girls patting it over the net.

• Hanni
      Posted July 7, 2015 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Really trying not to bite…but ‘patting it over the net’? Patting it?

• Miffypops
        Posted July 7, 2015 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Patting

9. JonP
    Posted July 7, 2015 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

I found this pretty tricky too, but got there in the end without too much trouble. Thanks to Gazza and setter 2.5*/3.5*

10. Jaycat
    Posted July 7, 2015 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Took me a while with slow start but when the letters were inserted it all started to come together. I enjoyed it overall but found some of the parsing a bit obscure.
    3*/4* for me and quite pleased I got to the end of a Mr Ron !. Thanks to him and Gazza.

11. Jane
    Posted July 7, 2015 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

As others have commented – all went well until I hit the SW corner. Even managed to drag up the name of the cricketer at 12a!

In that dreadful corner I struggled to recall the rebellious knight, didn’t know the musical term and couldn’t for the life of me justify the answer for 14d. All finished but needed Gazza to explain the parsing of 27a & 14d. Also, many thanks for the info. re: 7d – the answer was so obvious I’m afraid I was too lazy to look up Mr. Throckmorton.

Probably went into 3* time and would say 2.5* for enjoyment.

Favourite is a toss up between 5&8d – the latter prob. just takes the honours.

• Hanni
      Posted July 7, 2015 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

I struggled with the parsing of 14d too. Couldn’t see where the ‘U’ came from for ages.

12. Beaver
    Posted July 7, 2015 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Straight forward and lacking a bit of humour today for me, with no d’oh moments ,so can’t quibble with Gazza’s rating, liked the 12a charade, can’t wait for Cardiff, remembered the Knight from somewhere and successfully concocted 27a; watched the Terence and Julie version of Far from the madding crowd last night whilst finishing the port-loved it.

13. Young Salopian
    Posted July 7, 2015 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

14d and 27a my picks in today’s far from straightforward offering. Everything was going swimmingly until the SW corner got stuck me in neutral. That made it a ***\*** for me, but hugely enjoyable nonetheless. Thanks to all.

14. Hanni
    Posted July 7, 2015 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

**/**

Solvable but not much to remember. Held up in the SE corner, particularly with 21d. Ridiculous of me. Not much else to say about this one. Liked 7 and 19d.

Many thanks to the setter and to Gazza for blogging.

MP’s rain God clearly doesn’t listen to me as it’s bloomin awful here.

15. pommers
    Posted July 7, 2015 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

**/*** from us as, fortunately, I remembered the rebellious knight.

Thanks to the setter and Gazza.

BTW, I’m a bit surprised we managed to concentrate on the puzzle as the weather centre at Alicante airport is now reporting a temperature of 40C http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-phew.gif It’s been several years since it was that hot down by the coast.

16. Nev
    Posted July 7, 2015 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Didn’t start this until late today owing to an appointment with my chiropractor. All was going well until some hold ups in the SW corner, but when the penny eventually dropped for 14d, it all sloted together well. 3*/3* for me today, – thanks to the setter and Gazza for the clues.

17. williamus
    Posted July 7, 2015 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

2*/3* for me. I didn’t really get into this one… got it finished though with a few visits to the BRB. Particularly liked 7d (NB the Catholic references Brian!) and 27a my favourite. Thanks to the setter and to Gazza for the review.

• Ginny
      Posted July 8, 2015 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

And the Poor Clares ..

18. Gwizz
    Posted July 7, 2015 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

I quite enjoyed this one. No real problems although like many I too slowed down in the SW corner but once 14d came through everything made sense.
    favourite clue was 19a because it made me smile. 2.5/3.5* overall.
    Thanks to the setter and to Gazza for the hints.

Posted July 7, 2015 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Thanks to MrRon and to Gazza for the review and hints. I enjoyed this one, but got held up in the SW corner for a while. Favourites were 8d&12a. Started with 10a finished with 29a, with 19d the penultimate, which gave me the most trouble. Was 2*/3* for me. Praying for good weather tomorrow, as the Ealing Beer Festival is mostly outdoors.

20. Paso Doble
    Posted July 7, 2015 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

We enjoyed this even though there might have been too much GK for everybody’s liking but we knew them….so there!
    ***/***

21. Paso Doble
    Posted July 7, 2015 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Not forgetting to thank Mr. Ron & gazza!

22. Robin Newman
    Posted July 7, 2015 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

never heard of 21D before, but it is in Collins

23. Florence
    Posted July 7, 2015 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Not too taxing today, but still enjoyable.
    Favourites have to be 8d,18a and 21a. Despite being cricket mad, didn’t get 12a. Had to check it. Should have tried harder to work it out. It was clear in the end.

• Miffypops
      Posted July 7, 2015 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

The 100 was a nice misdirect pushing us to use the Roman Numeral C Florence

24. silvanus
    Posted July 7, 2015 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

The SW corner was the hardest for me too – I only had the composer of 23a on his own for quite some time.

My favourite clue has to be 21a for the nostalgic memories it evokes, although I confess I never put it on my breakfast cereal!

Overall this needed persistence to crack, but was well worth the effort. I wonder if 12a is an omen as to which Sky commentator will describe the first Ashes wicket to fall tomorrow? We’ll see.

Thanks to the setter and to Gazza.

Posted July 7, 2015 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

Needed the hints for 19d. Didn’t know him at all. Knew 12a though .
    Could only see green paper for 30a. This and the white one were the only ones I knew.
    The rest wasn’t quite 1a but easy to parse.
    Thanks to the setter and to Gazza for the missing solutions.

26. Angel
    Posted July 7, 2015 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

This was a nicely challenging undertaking which went in in an unusually haphazard way. I failed to recall my Tennyson so needed Gazza’s help with 19d – thanks for that and also to Mysteron for today’s entertaining session. ***/***. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

• Miffypops
      Posted July 7, 2015 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

Or your Thomas Malory.

Posted July 7, 2015 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

2*/4* – l rather enjoyed this puzzle. 8d was my favourite, although l liked 16d too. My thanks to Mr Ron, and to Gazza for the review.

28. KiwiColin
    Posted July 7, 2015 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

I fiddled around for a little bit trying to justify ‘green paper’ for 30a before spotting the much better and correct answer that fitted the wordplay. Luckily, neither of the two bits of GK were a problem. Not too challenging and pleasant enough.
    Thanks Mr Ron and Gazza.

29. fran
    Posted July 7, 2015 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

27a and 30a gave me trouble although the paper was always in my mind” green” ; also not sure how much sense the hole made with top 21d. Perhaps someone could explain this to me(even though I put the right answer in.) Otherwise **/*** Thanks Gazza

Posted July 7, 2015 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

Top-hole is a slang term (often used humorously) meaning first-rate or excellent. It’s TOP (spinner) + HOLE (opening).

• fran
        Posted July 8, 2015 at 9:23 am | Permalink

Thanks gazza I had top (first ) and opening (hole) but didn’t know the slang term

30. Jay legs
    Posted July 7, 2015 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

I thought today’s crossword was “Top Hole” ;) probably because I solved it unassisted! **/**** Thanks to Gazza and Setter. Thanks to all the bloggers who add that extra dimension every day :)

31. Kitty
    Posted July 7, 2015 at 11:18 pm | Permalink

Mostly straightforward but had to get the last few from my solving partner. 19d and 30a. I also hadn’t heard of 21d.

Thanks to the setter and Gazza.

32. Tstrummer
    Posted July 8, 2015 at 1:03 am | Permalink

I thought this was going to be 1a, and felt a bit disappointed that I had all but finished it on the train home, with only a handful in the (you guessed it) SW corner left. On arrival on the sofa, those took far longer than the rest of the puzzle and it wasn’t until 14d succumbed that I was able to race across the finish line, dragging the rebellious knight from my subconcious where it has lain dormant, unused and unloved for 40 years since a dull English lit tutorial at university. It was my last one in and I had it as a double homophone – MOR -and DRED, but Gazza, who knows about these things, put me straight, so thanks to him for the usual sterling work and to the mystery setter, who gets an extra star for 18a, which made me smile and think of my mother, an Austrian who knew how to make all kinds of dumplings, my favourites being the one with a plum in the middle (Zwetschgenknoedl) and the one dropped in the soup (Leberknoedl). I’m off to raid the fridge now. 2*/3*