ST 2799 (Hints)

Sunday Telegraph Cryptic No 2799 (Hints)

Hints and tips by Big Dave

As is usual for the weekend prize crosswords, a number of the more difficult clues have been selected and hints provided for them.

Some hints follow:

1a    Couples initiating these risky ventures prosper (6)
The first two letters (couples) of three words in the clue

4a    Bogus record of what’s outstanding in London team (8)
Couldn’t resist this one – the usual record of what’s outstanding inside THE football team in London!

10a    Period in which one’s not well off? (4,5)
A cryptic definition of a period in which one’s not well and off work – you are meant to think of “not well off” meaning not having much money

13a    Scrutinise monarch, for example, holding power (7)
The class of creature of which a monarch is an example around (holding) P(ower)

15a    Protection from blame one put on rascal (8)
A five-letter word meaning one preceded by (on in an across clue) a rascal or scamp

18a    Herbaceous shrub in a container like that (8)
A charade of the A from the clue, a container and an adverb meaning like that

23a    A ceremony run without bishop or judge (7)
The A from the clue, a ceremony and R(un) around (without) B(ishop)

29a    Husband a number size up? (6)
H(usband) followed by a cardinal number gives a word meaning the size in an upward direction

1d    Cassette destroyed in important legal action (4,4)
An anagram (destroyed) of CASSETTE

3d    In eleven pieces, reassembled check fabric (9)
An anagram (pieces reassembled) of ELEVEN around a verb meaning to check

5d    Tendency Democrat is showing in part of speech (14)
D(emocrat) and IS inside (showing in) a part of speech

8d    Composed small note to girlfriend (6)
S(mall) and a note of the diatonic scale of C major followed by a girlfriend

16d    Sight in Paris left-wing area held by someone else? (5,4)
An adjective meaning left-wing and A(rea) inside a phrase that means someone else (3,2)

17d    What goes between storeys, including a new kind of window (8)
What you use to go from one storey to the next (without using the lift!) around the A from the clue and N(ew)

19d    Vegetable, all of whose parts are in scale (7)
This word for this vegetable contains only letters that are in the diatonic scale of C major

21d    Show disrespect in court? Punishment for offending player (7)
Split as (3,4) this could mean to show disrespect in the royal court

24d    Put foot down on trade moving east (5)
Start with TRADE and move the E(ast) – as this is a down clue it does not mean move in an easterly direction

Today it’s Happy Birthday to Tom Jones (75)
Image result for Tom Jones

1. Paso Doble
    Posted June 7, 2015 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

We really loved this Virgillius puzzle with lots of different kinds of clues to work out. We needed Big Dave’s help to parse 1a for us but apart from that it was all so beautifully constructed that we were able to see exactly what we were doing. Thanks to Virgillius and Big Dave. **/****

Posted June 7, 2015 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

3*/4*. Another wonderful Sunday challenge, great fun and sprinkled with trademark clues (e.g.: 1a, 16d & 19d) and including one clue especially for BD! 20a was a new word for me but easily derivable from the clue and checking letters.

The NE corner was the last to fall and took my time up from 2* to 3*. In particular parsing 15a & 7d fully proved to be quite a tussle.

Many thanks to Virgilius and to BD.

3. JonP
    Posted June 7, 2015 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

I found this towards the easier end of Virgilius’s scale of dificulty and a very enjoyable solve as per usual. Thanks to BD and Virgilius 1.5*/4*

Posted June 7, 2015 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

A real pleasure from start to finish.
    We just need to ask Virgilius to change 4a to “in THE London team” and everyone will be happy.
    Loved 16d. Not because I’m French but for the ” someone else” part.
    Thanks to Virgilius and to BD.
    Happy birthday to Prince also. 57 already.

5. George
    Posted June 7, 2015 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

Ah yes, the usual Sunday delight from Vergilius. Not so difficult but always inventive. I always look forward to Sundays!

1*/5* for me.

Thanks to BD for blog and Vergilius for the puzzle.

6. Andy in the Far East
    Posted June 7, 2015 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Was quite easy Sunday exercise. 1A was cute. Not a great fan of flora etc, but then the clues were easy enough. Getting the two long d answers did really make it all quite easy.

Posted June 7, 2015 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Virgilius and to Big Dave for the hints. A very enjoyable puzzle as usual from Virgilius. An absolute joy. Favourite was 16d. Last in was 25a. Was 2*/4* for me. Lovely sunny day in Central London. Enjoying the Tennis at the moment.

8. Hilary
    Posted June 7, 2015 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Needed BD’s help to sort out what I had done, one or two brainstorms on the way but completed without electronic aid. Thanks to BD and V for a delightful Sunday exercise. Must remember to read clue properly to ensure correct ending.

Posted June 7, 2015 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

I always find Sundays puzzle a challenge, and all the more enjoyable for that.It is impossible to pick one favourite.
    Thanks Virgilius and BD.

Posted June 7, 2015 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

A lovely crossword which I found tricky – might be something to do with very late night and far too much to eat and drink! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif
    I was slow to get the two long answers – 5 and 9d.
    I did find both the hidden answers even though I hadn’t heard of 20a.
    I needed the hint to understand why my answer for 16d was right.
    I liked 1 and 14a and 3 and 21d.
    Thanks to Virgilius and to BD.
    Off to garden . . .

11. dutch
    Posted June 7, 2015 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

The Sunday Prize Puzzles have become such a delight. So many great clues. I marked 1a, 4a, 12a, 14a, 25a, 29a, 5d, 19d, 21d, 24d as ones that I found particularly appealing, but it was all nice. many thanks Virgilius and thanks Big Dave.

• Paso Doble
      Posted June 7, 2015 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

We agree with you Dutch…best puzzle of the week for us!

12. Young Salopian
    Posted June 7, 2015 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Some delightful clues and a pleasure to complete. I’ll go with the general view and mark it **\**** with a special mention for 16d. Brilliant.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cry.gif

13. Derek
    Posted June 7, 2015 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

PLeasant solve today – a beautifully sunny summery day here in NL!

Faves : 16d & 18a the latter has a strange smell.

14. overtaxed
    Posted June 7, 2015 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

Rather gentle for Virgilius. Some lovely cluing as usual for Sunday.
    Quite liked 13a, having thought of several varieties of kings and queens before the penny dropped.
    Thanks to Virgilius, and BD for the review.

Posted June 7, 2015 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

A lovely puzzle that kept me busy for part of my flight from Gatwick to Valencia this morning.
    Pommers.. estoy aqui :)

Many thanks to Virgilius and to BD for the hints.

16. Gwizz
    Posted June 7, 2015 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

Help please! Am I the only person having problems d/loading today’s paper on the I-pad? I’m sure I have paid my bill….

17. Angel
    Posted June 7, 2015 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

I couldn’t agree less with most of the above Comments! For some reason I simply couldn’t get to grips with Virgilius today and had to rely on every possible aid hence not much fun was had and can’t pick a Fav. Perhaps yesterday’s over- indulgence had something to do with it. Anyway thanks Virgilius and BD. I can only hope to do better tomorrow. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_negative.gif

Posted June 7, 2015 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

Yes – me too with the over-indulgence yesterday – I also found this crossword tricky – I think the two are probably linked.
      We will do better tomorrow after a really long sleep – well, I hope we will!

• Angel
        Posted June 7, 2015 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

Good to be in good company – sleep well!

Posted June 8, 2015 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

Great stuff again from Virgilius, thank you. 16d a penny drop moment, a super clue which produces loud guffaws. Thanks BD for the hints. Could easily get used to doing nothing plus the puzzle and swimming !