NTSPP – 275

NTSPP – 275

Big Dave by Radler

+ – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

Crossword logo

The puzzle is available by clicking on the above grid.

A review of this puzzle by crypticsue follows.

You expect a tricky puzzle from Radler but this crossword entertains as well, not least because it is full of  references to someone we all know.

8a           Someone who’s Big    Dave’s opponent? (7)
GOLIATH   A giant or the opponent of the boy who became an Old Testament King – although I don’t think he’s ever  been known as Dave!

goliath

9a           Pick up, put down – must be a trick (7)
SLEIGHT   A homophone (pick up) of a word meaning an affront by showing neglect (put down).

10a         Alcohol, it seems to me, lacks colour (5)
METHS   Remove a coloured liquid (lacks colour) from an archaic way of saying ‘it seems to me’.

11a         Flipping Bob’s a flapper (5,4)
RUDDY DUCK   Flipping and the first word of the solution are euphemisms for a particular swear word. Bob here is another way of saying dip down quickly.

ruddy duck

12a         Furthest from roomy refuge, concealed weapon (9)
NARROWEST   A weapon that might have been used by Robin Hood is hidden in a refuge often used by a bird.

14a         Big Dave’s outside entering cellar regularly (5)
ELDER   Big as in big sister –   The outside letters of DavE are inserted into the regular letters of cElLaR.

15a         Incomplete publication Big Dave orders in anyway (8,7)
ABRIDGED VERSION   An anagram (anyway) of BIG DAVE ORDERS IN.

19a         Book adult left behind (5)
ALBUM   A particular type of book is obtained from the abbreviations for Adult and Left and a very  informal term for the behind or bottom.

album

21a         Candidate wanted job at University, lecturer attracting worker (9)
POSTULANT   Another word for job, the abbreviations for University and Lecturer and one of the insect world’s workers.

23a         Dave perhaps at cross dresser’s pickup place (2,7)
TV STATION   The abbreviation for transvestite (cross dresser) and a place you might pick up a train or a bus.

Dave

25a         Mark edges of Big Dave – not very out of shape (5)
BADGE   The edges of BiG and an anagram (out of shape) of DAVE once you have removed the V (not very).

badge

26a         Dave turned up and Norman retreated (7)
CAMERON   A Dave who has been in the news a lot lately.   A way of saying ‘turned up’ and a reversal (retreated) of the abbreviation for Norman (3).

27a         Typical   slight to Big Dave – leader lost temper (7)
AVERAGE   DAVE without the first letter (leader lost)  followed by another word for temper.

1d           It’s me, me, me and me again, foolishly admitting love (8)
EGOMANIA   An anagram (foolishly) of ME AGAIN plus O (admitting love).

2d           One builds and another pulls to pieces (6)
SLATER   Someone who builds a roof or someone who criticizes.

3d           Characters gaining access to Dad’s weapon (8)
PASSWORD Another informal way of saying Dads followed by a weapon.

password

4d           Tea and toast (4)
CHAR An informal way of referring to a cup of tea or a verb meaning to scorch (toast).

5d           Enter repeatedly on form (2-4)
RE-TYPE   The two letters used to mean on the subject of and another word for form or kind.

6d           Christ essentially died, sung about resurrection (5,3)
AGNUS DEI   A musical (sung) setting of part of the Roman Catholic mass is hidden and reversed (about) in DIED SUNG About.

7d           Fireman Sam’s first to meet King and Queen (6)
STOKER   The first letter of Sam, TO (from the clue), the abbreviation for King and the regnal cipher of our current Queen.

stoker

9d           Means to relax cryptically using Dave’s site (9)
SEDATIVES You’d be very relaxed on these.   An anagram (cryptically using) of DAVES SITE.

13d         River Mersey’s source, polluted point needed special treatment (9)
EXEMPTION   A West County river, the source of Mersey and an anagram (polluted) of POINT.

16d         Chest exposed during arithmetic, maybe that’s one for the cells (8)
RIBOSOME A small particle of RNA and protein found in most cells –   R (arithmetic maybe being one of the 3 Rs) and the breast of a human being (chest) inserted into IE (that’s).

17d         Had dance, rocking around Bermuda Hotel (8)
RHUMBAED   Danced a particular dance –  an anagram (rocking around) of BERMUDA and H (hotel).

rhumbaed

18d         Gossip about Art Centre losing track of cocaine (8)
NATTERER   Someone who gossips is an anagram (about) of ART CENTRE once you have removed the C (losing track of Cocaine).

19d         Sally’s black cat talks back (secretly) (6)
ATTACKS   Sally’s doesn’t mean belong to Sally but refers to a sudden rushing forth of troops against the enemy – the solution is hidden (secretly) and reversed (back) in blacK CAT TAlks.

20d         Big weight dropped? Right, at last Dave’s thin (6)
MEAGRE   Take a word meaning big or unusually large and move the G (gram, weight) to the end of the word and then follow the result with R (right) and E (the last letter of Dave).

22d         Elevated North American forest resembling a chain of mountains (6)
ANDEAN   Like some South American mountains –   Reverse (elevated) the abbreviations for North and American and follow with a Gloucestershire forest.

24d         Laughter about capsizing ship builder (4
NOAH   Reverse (capsizing) an interjection of joy (according to the BRB you need two of them to denote laughter) and a preposition meaning about).

Noah

1. gazza
    Posted May 16, 2015 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

Super stuff – thanks, Radler. The clues I liked best, for the d’oh moments, were 8a, 23a and 26a.

2. windsurfer23
    Posted May 16, 2015 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

Thanks Radler, nice puzzle that Big Dave will surely appreciate.

I’ve only just got the PDM for 10 – nice clue! Likewise for 20. Rather unlikely word for 17, but the wordplay is clear. I started with ‘channel’ for the second word of 23, but the crossers precluded that.

I also liked gazza’s favourites.

Posted May 16, 2015 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

All done and thoroughly enjoyable. The SW corner held me up for a while and I don’t understand 23A, though I’m sure of my answer. 10A was the last one in and again I believe I have the correct answer but can’t parse it. 19A and 26A are my top picks. Lovely stuff, Radler!

4. Jane
    Posted May 16, 2015 at 9:47 pm | Permalink

Long day out so only just got my hands on this one. Looking a little tricky but am pleased to tell Chris that I’ve got 10a sorted! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

• Expat Chris
      Posted May 16, 2015 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

Ha! Just got it!! Add that to my list of favorites.

Posted May 16, 2015 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

Just had a quick peek – not looking too good so far – I mean my chances of solving it not the crossword! Back tomorrow after a very long sleep. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-yawn.gif

6. Jane
    Posted May 16, 2015 at 11:26 pm | Permalink

OK – think I’ve got there but I had to call on electronic aid for 16d and am rather doubtful about 18d – bit of a half-parse!
    Very much liked 10,15 & 23a plus 3,9 & 22d but favourite goes to the simple 19a.
    Many thanks, Radler – I’m sure the Big man will be much amused! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

• Expat Chris
      Posted May 16, 2015 at 11:34 pm | Permalink

18D is an anagram sans one letter. Should have mentioned that I only get the chest bit of 16D.

• Jane
        Posted May 17, 2015 at 12:22 am | Permalink

Thanks Chris – I’d tried for an anagram but taken out the wrong letter!
        16d – my thought is for a homophone at the end.

Posted May 17, 2015 at 8:40 am | Permalink

You’ve probably got the wrong ‘chest bit’ – I thought it was that at first until the penny dropped.

• Expat Chris
          Posted May 17, 2015 at 9:14 am | Permalink

It’s stupid o’clock EST and here I am parsing crossword clues! But I think I have it. Without giving too much away, if I consider the first letter of the answer to be ‘one of the three’…

7. Jane
    Posted May 17, 2015 at 10:11 am | Permalink

Thanks, CS – and apologies to Chris for trying to lead you along my erroneous garden path. Thought my homophone for ‘sum’ was OK and ‘rib’ looked fine – just the twiddly bits that I couldn’t justify! Ah well, at least that was the only one wrongly parsed so I did almost qualify for a Blue Peter badge.

Lovely puzzle to end on before I disappear off for a week on an eating/drinking fest with old friends and workmates back in Cheshire. Beaver and Dutch need to beware of a noisy group of ‘ladies of a certain age’ descending on eateries near them! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted May 17, 2015 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Hi Jane (and Kath). Nothing to do with the crossword, but what a coincidence – in the business section of today’s ST there is an interview with Chesney Hawkes. One fact I never realised before is that “The One and Only” was written by Nik Kershaw, whom I also liked (sorry MP, but I have very eclectic musical tastes!)

• Jane
        Posted May 17, 2015 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Some very vague memory tells me that I did know that – but it’s so vague I could well be imagining it!
        Hope you’re going to tackle the Radler without looking at CS’s review first……….

• Rabbit Dave
          Posted May 17, 2015 at 11:39 am | Permalink

I’m not sure that I’ll have time today as I am playing cricket this afternoon, but I’ll print it out and have a go when I get the chance.

• Rabbit Dave
            Posted May 18, 2015 at 9:21 am | Permalink

Nice theme but the puzzle was totally incomprehensible to me. I’m afraid Radler is clearly far too clever/devious for me. I just could not get on his wavelength at all. Even after much dogged persistence, without CS’s excellent review I would still be staring at a blank grid.
            In any event, thank you, Radler.

Hopefully a dose of Rufus today will restore my shattered confidence.

Posted May 17, 2015 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Very good indeed. The things we can do with our host are boundless.
    Loved the clues picked by Gazza too.
    And the two hidden words in 6d and 19d were just great.
    1d also made me laugh.
    Only had a bit of trouble with SW corner as I thought SUM was the arithmetic in 16d, ATLAS for 19a and SPARSE for 20d, until the Prime Minister came along and everything went back to normal. Good old Dave.
    Thanks to Radler for the fun and to CS for the review.

Posted May 17, 2015 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

It’s easy to get confused between the Daves in 23a and 26a – one repeats the same old stuff ad nauseam and the other’s a TV channel. :D

Posted May 17, 2015 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

:D

9. Radler
    Posted May 17, 2015 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Thank you Sue for the review and of course for your earlier test solve.

Thanks as well to all for the comments. I hope to see some of you on Tuesday.

10. Catnap
    Posted May 17, 2015 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

This has taken me a while to complete. I found it quite a challenge, but oh! how thoroughly enjoyable! I loved the theme and many of the clues, including 10a, 19a, 26a, 6d, 9d, 19d, and 20d. My fave was 12a — very clever. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

I managed to complete all but two clues correctly without help. I needed Crypticsue’s hints for 23a and 16d. I had the second word in 23a but not the first. In 16d, I got sidetracked by ‘rib’!

Appreciative thanks to Radler for a super crossword, and to Crypticsue for the beautifully lucid review.
    A rose for each http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gifhttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif