Hints and tips by Deep Threat

BD Rating – Difficulty */**Enjoyment ***

Good morning from South Staffs. I’m not available on Friday this week, so Gazza has kindly agreed to swap, leaving me with this pretty straightforward puzzle from the Tuesday Mysteron.

In the hints below, the definitions are underlined. The answers are hidden under the ‘Click here!’ buttons, so don’t click if you don’t want to see them.

1a           Taking meal when touring a flat — useful start? (9-3)
LAUNCHING-PAD – A (from the clue) inserted into a word for eating a midday meal, followed by an informal word for a flat or other accommodation.

Image result for launching pad

8a           Endless time OAP’s spent in type of painting (7)
IMPASTO – Anagram (spent) of TIM (endless time) and OAP’S.

Image result for impasto

9a           Advice from local authority reportedly (7)
COUNSEL – A homophone (reportedly) of a local authority.

11a         Modelled a toga — it is done in a ruffled style (7)
AGITATO – This musical term is an anagram (modelled) of A TOGA IT.

12a         Religious class on island for one having finished work (7)
RETIREE – The initials by which religion classes in school are often known, followed by an island in the Inner Hebrides which features in the reports from coastal stations in the shipping forecast.

13a         Victor fit? It’s far from clear (5)
VAGUE – The letter represented by Victor in the NATO alphabet, and a shivering fit.

14a         Hint is in a tune that’s off-key (9)
INSINUATE – Anagram (off-key) of IS IN A TUNE.

16a         One selling in the rag trade? (9)
NEWSAGENT – Cryptic definition of someone who sells rags (like the Sun, the Daily Mirror or the Times).

19a         Elevated position in game but bowled out first (5)
RIDGE – Remove the abbreviation for bowled in a cricket scorecard from the beginning of a card game

21a         Criminal seizing power in America and Peru possibly? Right (7)
USURPER – Put together an abbreviation for America, an anagram (possibly) of PERU, and Right.

23a         Fuss among two notes in computer data (4-3)
READ-OUT – A word for fuss or bother placed between two notes of the sol-fa musical scale, the second being an archaic form of what is now known as doh.

24a         Leading journalist on way out in a turbulent state? (7)
EDDYING – The usual crossword journalist followed by ‘on the way out’ (of this life).

25a         Medical device in hospital curtailed alarm (7)
INHALER – Put together IN (form the clue), Hospital, and a word for alarm with its last letter removed (curtailed).

Image result for inhaler

26a         White gel twerp spilt after removing onset of pain for boxer (12)
WELTERWEIGHT – Anagram (spilt) of WHITE GEL TWER(p), leaving out the first letter (onset) of Pain.

1d           Bird having a plaintive warble initially in heather (7)
LAPWING – A (from the clue) and the first letters of Plaintive Warble, placed inside a word for heather.

Image result for lapwing

2d           Winning part of cycling race is put in the shade (7)
UPSTAGE – A word for winning or being ahead in the score, followed by a part of a cycle race like the Giro d’Italia or the Tour de France.

3d           Group of pupils on walk to find powerful animal (9)
CROCODILE – Double definition.

4d           At home leaders of company under review suffer (5)
INCUR – A word for ‘at home’ followed by the initial letters of Company Under Review.

5d           One overly full of cheer? (7)
GLUTTON – Cryptic definition of one who feasts too much.

6d           American tenor featuring in song in country (7)
AUSTRIA – An operatic song wrapped around an abbreviation for American and Tenor.

7d           I’m getting over second season on river bringing bad luck (12)
MISADVENTURE – Put together the reverse (getting over) of I’M, Second, a liturgical season which precedes Christmas, and a river in Yorkshire.

10d         They reveal specialists in invention? (3,9)
LIE DETECTORS – Cryptic definition of machines that find out people who are not telling the truth.

15d         Gloomy figure after part of weekend with university rector, in short (9)
SATURNINE – Put together an abbreviation for one of the days of the weekend, University, Rector, and a numerical figure.

17d         Aspiring blue down, having left North, for training (5-2)
WOULD-BE – Anagram (for training) of BLUE DOW(n), leaving out the abbreviation for North.

18d         Place in office getting a purpose, we’re told (7)
APPOINT – A (from the clue) and something which sounds like (we’re told) a purpose or aim.

19d         Selfish type in an estate? (4,3)
ROAD HOG – Cryptic definition: the estate here has four wheels.

20d         Abandon rental property in tiny amount of rain (7)
DROPLET – A word for abandon followed by a rental property.

22d         Jolly character’s word of acknowledgement (5)
ROGER – This is a word used to acknowledge a radio message. When preceded by Jolly it becomes a pirate flag.

Image result for jolly roger

The Quick Crossword pun MAIL + STRUM = MAELSTROM

1. Bluebird
    Posted May 12, 2015 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Quite enjoyable, with some interesting answers, but nowhere near *\** for me! I’m afraid.
    Got in a tussle in the SW corner……

2. Angel
    Posted May 12, 2015 at 11:11 am | Permalink

More crucuverbal duck soup today but fun while it lasted. We will doubtless be rather more extended as the week progresses. **/***. Thank you Mr. Ron. Quickie was almost more challenging having several less well-known words. 8a new to me but obvious. Fav 10d. Thanks DT for hints which I will now enjoy reading. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

3. George
    Posted May 12, 2015 at 11:15 am | Permalink

I found this one a bit tricky today, unlike others it seems. I am always curious how some puzzles seem harder than others – something to do with the way the mind works and past experience, I suppose.

I still do not understand what 3d has to do with pupils although the answer was obvious from cross check letters.

Anyway, this took me into 3* time and the usual 4* for enjoyment.

Thanks to all as usual.

• andy
      Posted May 12, 2015 at 11:24 am | Permalink

re 3d, Collins 4th def (British, informal) a line of people, esp schoolchildren, walking two by two

• George
        Posted May 12, 2015 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Ah – that must be a UK expression that is not in common usage here in Canada.

I am not sure in these times of terror here that children are allowed to walk anywhere anymore given the scare tactics of the government and media.

• Liz
        Posted May 12, 2015 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

Yes school crocodiles were common in my school days…2×2 with teacher at the front and one at the back to make sure no-one absconded!

Posted May 12, 2015 at 11:22 am | Permalink

2*/2*. OK but lacking in sparkle. My only difficulty was in understanding where the last two letters in 23a came from. Without much hope I googled “ut” but was surprised to find it is an obsolete term for the first note in the diatonic scale now replaced by “do”.

Thanks to the setter, and to DT.

• Heno
      Posted May 12, 2015 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

I always remember ut from the TV series call my bluff. Frank Muir won a round using ut. I expect it might be on the net somewhere. I had a look but couldn’t find it.

• Rabbit Dave
        Posted May 12, 2015 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Are you bluffing about that? :wink:

• Shropshirelad
        Posted May 12, 2015 at 11:32 pm | Permalink

Not the show with ‘ut’, but a clip of that great show – excellent stuff

5. JonP
    Posted May 12, 2015 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Straightforward solve with thanks to DT and setter */***

6. Ora Meringue
    Posted May 12, 2015 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Had a struggle with the w side which I solved by electronic aids so certainly did not find this one easy as others have.
    Thanks to the setter and to Deep Threat
    Not sure I would have said that an ague was a fit . Ora Meringue?

• Miffypops
      Posted May 12, 2015 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

It certainly isn’t a cake

• Ora Meringue
        Posted May 12, 2015 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

Not Scottish, then, Miffypops?http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_question.gif

• Miffypops
          Posted May 12, 2015 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

No but the joke is as old as the hills.

• Ora Meringue
            Posted May 13, 2015 at 11:49 am | Permalink

Much like myself.

• Liz
      Posted May 12, 2015 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

My dictionary ( a very old Concise Oxford ) defines ague as malarial fever, shivering fit. Ague cake is given as an enlargement of the spleen or liver caused by ague…….so it could be a cake!

• Ora Meringue
        Posted May 12, 2015 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

Looked it up in the BRB and it does give a shivering fit as a definition, but I have always thought of it as a fever.
        So I guess, and not for the first time, that I am wrong.

• andy
          Posted May 12, 2015 at 10:57 pm | Permalink

Welcome to my world ;)

7. Paso Doble
    Posted May 12, 2015 at 11:56 am | Permalink

We agree with Rabbit Dave about the puzzle lacking sparkle and also the parsing of 23a. Again, like George, one half of Paso Doble hadn’t heard of the expression for 3d. However, this was interspersed with some nice clues such as : 10d, 15d and the across clues ending in vowels.

Thanks to Deep Threat and the Mysteron. 2*/2*

8. Miffypops
    Posted May 12, 2015 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

This was appearing to wander into toughie territory when suddenly it all fell down like a house of cards. Easy Peasy really. Ya just need some checkers and a few lightbulb moments. Never give up. Ut ———– Doh! Thanks to DT for standing in so Gazza can wobble off to Southwark. You use less than half the word I do Peter. Very succinct. Thanks to the setter. A lovely puzzle.

• Deep Threat
      Posted May 12, 2015 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

You’ve got that backwards, MP. As I said in my intro, Gazza has swapped with me because I can’t do this Friday. And the Southwark Sloggers and Betters isn’t until next week!

• Paso Doble
      Posted May 12, 2015 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Question for Miffypops: Are you going to interrupt your holiday in Cornwall to show your face for a minute or two at the Sloggers and Betters bash, or will you be staying down in the most idyllic part of the British Isles, a county that we both know so well?….Sorry, that was two questions in one!

• Miffypops
        Posted May 12, 2015 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

When I found out Colin and Carol the 2ks would be there I considered driving from Cornwall to the capital to meet them. However a secret sloggers and no setters has been convened this Thursday. So I will meet them there. Hopefully birthday bash number seven will arrive in January 2016 and I will be able to get there.

• Paso Doble
          Posted May 12, 2015 at 10:33 pm | Permalink

Good for you…we hope you have a nice time with the 2 antipodeans who we’ll presumably meet in Southwark and enjoy your holiday in Cornwall. Our zone in that part of the world revolves round Polzeath, Port Isaac, Daymer Bay & then off to see other chums near Liizard Point. See you next year…PD

9. Roger
    Posted May 12, 2015 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

‘m at odds then as I really liked this crossword with some good clueing and words to indicate anagrams not that obvious (well, not to me!). Found it refreshingly tricky enough to cause me some head scratching. Many thanks to setter and DT.

10. Jane
    Posted May 12, 2015 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

1.5*/3* for me. The extra .5* due to not knowing ‘ut’ and also missing the fact that I had to use the enumeration of 15d to get the full parsing.
    10d raised a smile but favourite slot to 19d – simple and effective.

Thanks to Mr. Ron and to DT for both the words and the music.

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted May 12, 2015 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Jane, the last four letters of 15d are clued by the word “figure”, not by the enumeration.

• Jane
        Posted May 12, 2015 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

I thought that, but then there’s no clue as to which figure to use. ‘In short (9)’ seemed to make far more sense. Well, it did to me!

• Rabbit Dave
          Posted May 12, 2015 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

At least the possibilities of which figure to use are rather more limited than when setters use “girl” or “man” as part of the wordplay.

11. overtaxed
    Posted May 12, 2015 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Certainly more than * for difficulty. Took me ages to work bottom half, then it all clicked into place. Liked 10d best. **/***

12. Dave B
    Posted May 12, 2015 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

Definitely not simple, but enjoyable. Last in was 3d. No standout clues. **/**

13. SheilaP
    Posted May 12, 2015 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

Not easy-peasy at all today I don’t think, and until we worked out the 4 long words round the outside, we couldn’t get going. My favourite was 10d, which I thought was an excellent definition. Thank you to the Tuesday setter and to DT.

14. pommers
    Posted May 12, 2015 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

A pleasant enogh solve but the horses didn’t even bat an eyelid. */*** from us.
    Last in was 16a – rag trade indeed :roll:

Thanks to Mr Ron and DT.

• Jane
      Posted May 12, 2015 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Hi Pommers, did you also notice that DT gave as examples of ‘rags’ – The Sun, The Daily Mirror and The Times. I suspect that Tstrummer may well have something to say about that when he pops in later. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

• pommers
        Posted May 12, 2015 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

DT may well recieve an e-Slap http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

• Franco
          Posted May 12, 2015 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Hola pommers!

I before E except after C ..

Looks OK after a few Vino Collapsos! Hic!

• Tstrummer
        Posted May 13, 2015 at 12:44 am | Permalink

How right you are, Jane. I have worked on some rags in my time (The FT, The Sunday Telegraph, The Daily Telegraph), but The Times is not one of them. It is not only the oldest and most famous daily newspaper in the world, it also one with the most exacting standards of anywhere I have worked in 35 years on national newspapers, which is why I have been happy there for 21 years and counting. End rant, drink more beer, shrug, move on

• Liz
      Posted May 12, 2015 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

I had ‘Newmarket’ in for 16a…a kind of jacket…I thought that was OK (rag trade) until I realised that 3d didn’t fit….then had to rethink!

15. fran
    Posted May 12, 2015 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Not that easy but once the dominoes started to fall —- except for the 19’s ; I made a real hog of this one, the “estate” took me down a cul-de-sac **/***

Posted May 12, 2015 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

We solved this one over breakfast in Brighton this morning before catching the train back to London where we are now. Despite being interrupted but the need to enjoy the ‘full English breakfast’ it all slotted together smoothly in reasonable time with smiles all the way.
    Thanks Mr Ron and DT.

• Shropshirelad
      Posted May 12, 2015 at 8:31 pm | Permalink

My rail tickets are now booked for next Tuesday’s soiree at the George. I hope to meet you both on your brief visit to our fair isle – hope you’ve brought some Sav Blanc from the Marlborough region http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif If not I ‘ll look forward to buying you both a wet or two.

• Hanni
        Posted May 12, 2015 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

If any of you three have recommendations for a new Sav Blanc Marlborough, I’d love to hear. Smaller vineyards that are not always on the menu?

• Shropshirelad
          Posted May 12, 2015 at 11:18 pm | Permalink

Hi Hanna, If you’re passing a Sainsbury’s do try a bottle (or two) of ‘Roc St Vincent Bordeaux Sauvignon’. At £6 a bottle it’s not a bad drophttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif

• Hanni
            Posted May 12, 2015 at 11:41 pm | Permalink

Thank you! At £6 a bottle I think it would be rude not a sample a couple. OH shall have it added to the list for Friday.

Posted May 12, 2015 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Mr Ron and to Deep Threat for the review and hints. I enjoyed this one, but found it very tricky. Managed the top half ok, but was left with 8 unsolved in the bottom half, which I eventually managed to get without the hints. Favourites were 16a&19d, which were both penny drop moments. Last in was 19a. Was 3*/3* for me.

18. Liz
    Posted May 12, 2015 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

A bit slow getting started today. 8a & 11a were first…..art and music clues I love. I was convinced 16a was ‘Newmarket ‘ which is a kind of jacket, appropriate for the rag trade, but then realised it had to be wrong and this held me up for a while….I thought it was a good alternative answer though. I liked 3d..may favourite clue. An enjoyable puzzle and not too taxing ….didn’t need the hints today either, but did have a bit of electronic help here and there. **/*** thanks setter and DT for hints.

19. silvanus
    Posted May 12, 2015 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

Like others it seems the bottom half went in more slowly than the top, but once completed it’s difficult to understand why really!

Very enjoyable stuff – the archaic musical term in 23a was new to me and one to remember for the future.

Favourites were 16a and 10d, both of which produced smiles when solved.

Many thanks to the setter and to Deep Threat.

20. Young Salopian
    Posted May 12, 2015 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

I thought this was definitely harder than a one star, but not quite a three. A good three for enjoyment though. Like others, SW corner slowed me up, pushing it into 2/3 country. Good puzzle all round.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_mail.gif

21. Hanni
    Posted May 12, 2015 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

**/**

Hmm. Slightly trickier than a regular Tuesday, unfortunately I did not care for it. I can’t put my finger on why. Hey ho.

Many thanks to the setter and to DT for blogging.

Maybe I’ll try the Toughie.

Posted May 12, 2015 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

Didn’t know the expression of 19d and had to check if my answer was right from the checking letters.
    Same with 3d.
    Apart from that, no real problems.
    Thanks to Mr Ron and to DT for the review.

Posted May 12, 2015 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

Thank you setter, tricky for me for no particular reason. Just a bit pushed for time. Thanks DT for your review and hints.

24. Shropshirelad
    Posted May 12, 2015 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

It’s been a very lovely day, both in weather conditions and crossword enjoyment. My favourite today (only 1 Kathhttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif) is 16a. A good misdirection and funny.

Thanks to the Tuesday Mr Ron for the puzzle and DT for his review (I hope you have a good holiday)

25. Framboise
    Posted May 12, 2015 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

No problem to solve today’s puzzle so will agree with 1*/3*. Mr Framboise helped with the first word of 19d – had not thought of estate as a car – and 3d reminded me of my teaching days… Favourite was 15d. Thank you Kath for putting me right about chaffed and chuffed yesterday – I do not mind it at all, on the contrary as it is good to learn something new.
    Many thanks to DT for the review – yes, I always make a point of reading it – and to the Mysteron.

Posted May 12, 2015 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

Very tricky, I didn’t do well.Thanks to all concerned.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif

27. Hanni
    Posted May 12, 2015 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

Because of my lack of enjoyment in the crossword, I forgot to properly thank DT…

I’m a huge fan of the shipping forecast, love the Utsire’s and Malin

The third movement of the Moonlight Sonata is now, and will be forevermore my favourite piece to play/practice/perfect. The latter will never be achieved.

So thank you DT. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

• Franco
      Posted May 12, 2015 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

But … the Shipping Forecast always seems to interrupt the cricket on Test Match Special!

North Utsire – Gale Warning 8, poor visibility, Good!

• Hanni
        Posted May 12, 2015 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

Rarely an issue in our house since the cricket is either on TV/radio/being talked about…always. Current talk is KP.

I have a shipping forecast T-shirt. For some reason the Utsires and Bailey attract a bit of attention.

• Franco
          Posted May 12, 2015 at 8:31 pm | Permalink

I would like to see the T-Shirt – but unfortunately – poor visibility – Good!

• Hanni
            Posted May 12, 2015 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

• Jane
          Posted May 12, 2015 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

Dear goodness, Hanni – I thought putting up with just the golf was bad enough. No wonder you don’t really object when the OH goes off for a few days! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-phew.gif

• Hanni
            Posted May 12, 2015 at 10:42 pm | Permalink

Rugby too, League and Union. Though I won the battle of Badminton last weekend. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

How are you and you grown up child type things?

• Jane
              Posted May 12, 2015 at 11:06 pm | Permalink

Going over to IOW early June, to spend three weeks with No. 2 daughter. She’s turned into ‘house-maker’ extraordinaire and is currently doing a night school course to learn how to make Roman blinds, Swedish blinds, various types of cushions and DIY upholstery! Add to that the newly planted veg. garden and perfectly ‘striped’ lawn-mowing capability……….I’m not at all sure I’ll recognise her!!! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif

• Hanni
                Posted May 12, 2015 at 11:13 pm | Permalink

I remember the great bin buying debate of 2014.

I’m very impressed! That all sounds fantastic. I’m verging on dangerous with a sewing machine.

Sounds good. Will you be roped into any of the we house making things? Though you should have plenty of time for bird watching. Hope you’ll still be here whilst you’re away?

• Jane
                  Posted May 12, 2015 at 11:24 pm | Permalink

Let’s put it this way – I intend to do as much in her house as she’s ever done in mine………that’s me with my feet up, then!
                  As for being here, whilst I’m there………the vibes aren’t good in that direction currently, but maybe she’ll be too busy ‘making’ things to notice! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

• Hanni
                    Posted May 12, 2015 at 11:37 pm | Permalink

Oh I like your style Jane. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

Posted May 12, 2015 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

What a grumpy lot we are today! I rather enjoyed this, and found it just hard enough to be satisfying: 2*/4*. I’m sure l’m not the only one who cudgelled his/her brains to solve 1a with an anagram, but I’ll pick 15d as favourite. Thanks to Rufus, and to DT for the review.

• Jane
      Posted May 12, 2015 at 10:27 pm | Permalink

1a – anagram? Can’t imagine what you could possibly mean. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_redface.gif

• Hanni
      Posted May 12, 2015 at 10:44 pm | Permalink

Yep, thought it might be an anagram too.

29. Tstrummer
    Posted May 13, 2015 at 12:56 am | Permalink

Apart from inadvertently putting in the wrong council for 9a, which made 6d impossible, this was a straightforward and, I thought, quite jolly challenge. My only whinge is with 12a, which came up a while ago as well. Retiree is an awful Americanism that should and must be banished from our lexicon. It’s as bad as “escapee” and “attendee” which I see all too often in other “rags” – notably The Daily Telegraph. People who do things are ers (employer, attender, escaper, interviewer etc), and people who have things done to them are ees (employee, interviewee etc). The acceptable term is “retired people” or, at a pinch, “the retired”. That makes two rants in one day – nowhere near a personal best, obviously, but probably more than fellow commenters (note, ers) require.
    Off to bed now, as I have to present at hospital bright and early for an operation. Hope I’m fit enough to annoy you all again tomorrow night

30. Vancouverbc
    Posted May 13, 2015 at 1:59 am | Permalink

2.5/4. Didn’t start until returning from the cinema having watched Avengers – age of ultron and in 3D. Jolly good fun. Thanks to the setter for a good workout at least for me and DT for the review.

31. martin
    Posted May 13, 2015 at 7:18 am | Permalink

Great thanks – one or 2 just not falling into place so tips spot on!

Posted May 13, 2015 at 9:11 am | Permalink

Welecome to the blog, martin.

32. Gwizz
    Posted May 13, 2015 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

House moving does upset the routine somewhat so I am now in ‘catch-up’ mode.
    This was a nice challenge which took a little while to fall into place. 16a was my favourite and 2*/3* overall I think.
    Thanks to Mr Ron and DT for the review.
    Now, which one is next?