ST 2795 (Hints)

Sunday Telegraph Cryptic No 2795 (Hints)

Hints and tips by Big Dave

As is usual for the weekend prize crosswords, I will select a number of the more difficult clues and provide hints for them.

Some hints follow:

1a    Bring back limit in salary for head office in Rome (6)
The reversal of a three-letter limit inside a salary

4a    Have meal without a starter? (6)
A verb meaning to have a particular meal around (without) the A from the clue

10a    Some Californian citizens with little time for expression of grief (6)
Some citizens from a Californian city (2,3) followed by T(ime)

13a    In contract, spot right changes in position for rugby, notably (7,5)
Start with CONTRACT SPOT and change the position of the R(ight)

16a    From other side of the world, area is as natural as it could be (12)
An anagram (as it could be) of A(rea) IS AS NATURAL

20a    Telling about drug, very enlightening experience (10)
A telling of a story around the usual single-letter drug and V(ery)

22a    Where to get drinks in sweltering island capital (6)
A place where drinks may be purchased inside a three-letter adjective meaning sweltering

24a    Questioning how prince can succeed (6)
Very simple and clever – split the answer as (2,4) to get how a prince can succeed

25a    Showing effects of fever, say — wet, in a way (6)
An anagram (in a way) of SAY WET

1d    A poorly organised end of term in which children don’t work (8)
An anagram (organised) of A POORLY followed by the final letter (end) of [ter]M

3d    Fellow-surgeon, perhaps, providing description of light work in theatre (7)
Split as (2-5) this could be a fellow surgeon

5d    Brisk movement from everyone, therefore, after change of heart (7)
A three-letter word meaning everyone followed by the Latin word for therefore with its middle letters reversed (after change of heart)

7d    Deal with line in letters that he has (6)
Put L(ine) inside the letters that make up HE (1,3,1)

14d    Characteristic energy and sudden movement upset saintly author (9)
E(nergy) and a sudden movement reversed (upset) followed by a saintly author of a book in the bible

17d    From southern region, an ancient Greek (7)
S(outhern) followed by a region or sector and the AN from the clue

19d    Cover for head in meetings about education (6)
The plural of a Latin word for a meeting around ED(ucation)

21d    Country held by Afghan army (5)
Hidden (held by) inside the clue

Today it’s Happy Birthday to Donovan (69)

1. George
    Posted May 10, 2015 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

I always enjoy the Sunday puzzles and this one is no exception – although quite an easy one this week. Not quite a read and write but close. I thought 7d, 9d 14 d were my favourites.

1*/4* today.

Thanks to setter and the site elves.

Posted May 10, 2015 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Very quiet Sunday lunch. End of half term and bank holiday. No more money around or maybe everyone is saving for the ascension weekend.
    Well anyway, it gave me the time to finish the crossword in good time with 14d being my last one.
    Thanks to Virgilius for the puzzle and to BD for the hints.

3. neveracrossword
    Posted May 10, 2015 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

Good fun and not too taxing. 1.5*/3.5*. 14d was my last one, too. Thanks to setter and BD.

Posted May 10, 2015 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

2*/4*. Most enjoyable and very high standard of puzzle as usual on a Sunday. Difficult as ever to pick a single favourite and 1a, 3d & 7d have made the short list.

Many thanks to Virgilius and to BD.

Posted May 10, 2015 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Virgilius and to Big Dave for the hints. A very nice puzzle as usual from Virgilius. Seemed a bit on the gentle side. Favourites were 13&22a,3d, the latter being very clever, the definition nearly fooled me and I was thinking of a two letter term that normally precedes a surgeon, enough said as I don’t want to end up in Naughty Corner. Penultimate was 7d, last in was 4a. Was 2*/4* for me.

Posted May 10, 2015 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

I agree that this was a fairly gentle Sunday crossword although as usual I was quite slow to get started.
    I decided not to worry about 13a until I had some letters in – needed alternate letters before I got it.
    22a and 19d were my last ones.
    4a and 7d took a while too.
    Found the hidden answer!
    I liked 22 and 24a and 7 and 9d.
    Thanks to Virgilius and BD.
    Still haven’t had time to do NTSPP – later after I’ve done a few bits and pieces in the garden.

Posted May 10, 2015 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

PS – How on earth can Donovan be sixty-nine? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

• Paso Doble
        Posted May 10, 2015 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

He might be 69 but he also has an album called 64. It wasn’t recorded 5 years ago to mark his 64th birthday but in 1964 somewhere in Denmark Street. It’s very good and well worth a listen!http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

7. dutch
    Posted May 10, 2015 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Donovan, gosh. I used to like playing “Season of the witch” on my guitar when I was a teenager. Only happens these days after an inappropriate number of beers.

Solid puzzle today well worthy of the sunday slot (though I confess I enjoyed yesterday’s puzzle even more). I really liked 13a, quite brazen, answer is in your face but it still took me a few checkers before I saw it.

Many thanks Virgilius and BD

8. Young Salopian
    Posted May 10, 2015 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

A good mixture of clues this Sunday; enough taxing ones to keep us all interested, interspersed with a few gentle clues to get started. Thanks to setter (and of course BD for his hints). I rated this as 2/4.

9. Derek
    Posted May 10, 2015 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

Pleasant Sunday puzzle.

Faves : 1a, 24a, 3d & 14d.

Had first swim in pool today – my son went in first and said water was lovely. So after showering I went in and to say the least it was freezing! Recovered sitting sunbathing!

Shall be back home in NL next Friday.

10. Paso Doble
    Posted May 10, 2015 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Great fun today even if I had to wait for my better half to come and polish it off in an instant after her brief sojourn to the West End on a shopping spree. Otherwise, borlotti di lamon beans planted in the raised beds, courgettes and tomatoes ready to go in and a kind of Indian/French ratatouille on the hob ready to go with last night’s leftovers.

As always, a very entertaining Sunday puzzle from Virgilius and an informative review from Big Dave..

11. Ora Meringue
    Posted May 10, 2015 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

I needed a lot of electronic help with this one, but fortunately not enough to make me despair of ever getting better at cryptics.

Many thanks to Big Dave not only for his hints but for this site. Without it I would have definitely given up ages ago.

Thanks also to the setter.

(I see without meaning outside has made another appearance today! That’ll teach me for saying it was very uncommon.)
    I really liked 11a because it made me smile.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

12. Angel
    Posted May 10, 2015 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

Not much has been achieved over recent days and I have developed square eyes from all the compulsive TV viewing of Election results and postmortems plus the V E Day Remembrances but managed to adjust and complete this enjoyable exercise without too much trouble. Thanks Virgilius and BD. ***/***.

13. Hilary
    Posted May 10, 2015 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

Thanks to V and BD for a delightful way to spend some time on a Sunday afternoon. Hope you have all had a pleasant weekend and are looking forward to another week of DT cryptic crosswords. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

Posted May 10, 2015 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

Many thanks Virgilius for another excellent puzzle – and thanks BD for your hints. Enjoying a few days with friends in the excellent city of Norwich. Pushed for time with the puzzles !

15. Wahoo
    Posted May 10, 2015 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

Even though this was “on the easy side” and pleasurable (*/*** for me) it is still Virgilius’ style that I love – his surface readings for straightforward clues are still brilliant!

Many thanks to V and to BD.

16. andy
    Posted May 10, 2015 at 8:46 pm | Permalink

Pesky 4 letter answers, why on your Gods earth did it take me so long to parse 11a I will never know. 24a is a stroke of magic. Thanks to BD and Virgilius

17. McMillibar
    Posted May 11, 2015 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Completed this one in the PM with teenage son in the garden of the best pub in the world with the sun warming our backs. He is starting to solve clues before me which is pleasing and upsetting in roughly equal measures. Did not quite get it all in one go and finished next day. Virgilius clueing transcendent as ever. Favs 13 a, 16a.
    On with the day… potatoes to earth-up etc.

• Blaenavon
      Posted May 12, 2015 at 11:04 pm | Permalink

You have taught us well

Posted May 13, 2015 at 9:10 am | Permalink

You’ve changed your alias since your last comment so this one required moderation. Both should work from now on.