Hints and tips by Kitty

BD Rating – Difficulty *Enjoyment ***

Happy Star Wars Day. We have been given a Bank Holiday and a lovely Rufus puzzle to enjoy. Since our favourite publican has much to do this weekend I’ve let him have a rest from doing the hints, but Miffypops fans do not despair: he will be back next week.

I didn’t encounter any problems with this, so I have only given it one star for difficulty. I do hope that is fair and hasn’t discouraged you if you thought it was harder.

The hints and tips below are here to help and guide you. I hope they serve their purpose. Definitions are underlined. If you still need an answer after reading the hint then press ‘click here!’ and the answer will be revealed. If you do not want to see the answer – do not click.

1a    Refusal to compromise, Irene can’t sign anyway (13)
INTRANSIGENCE: Obstinacy, and an anagram (anyway) of IRENE CAN’T SIGN.

10a    Nearer the circle, or back beneath (7)
ROUNDER: Closer to being of a circular or spherical shape. Reverse the OR from the clue and follow it with a word for beneath.

11a    The girl turns out as substitute for the match (7)
LIGHTER: Not a sporting match but the kind used to make fire. An anagram (turns out) of THE GIRL. A lightsaber could perhaps also substitute for this.

12a    Girl getting rave review (4)
VERA: Make an anagram (review) of RAVE to get a feminine name.

13a    Put off Edward’s return with hesitation (5)
DETER: Dissuade or scare off. Reverse (return) a short form of the name Edward and, um, follow with a hesitation (not um).

14a    Criticism  that’s directed at flying machines? (4)
FLAK: Harsh and adverse criticism. Also anti-aircraft fire.

17a    Girl brought in to have a go at leather-making (7)
TANNERY: A four letter girl’s name (we have a few girls in this puzzle) goes inside a word meaning attempt. Surely the answer is a place for leather-making, not the act itself?

18a    New taps fitted as kitchen equipment (7)
STEWPAN: A type of cooking pot can be found by making an anagram (fitted) of NEW TAPS.

19a    Supports  inferior goods (7)
SECONDS: Two definitions which are hard to expand upon, so I will offer a third: an extra helping of food. Nom nom!

22a    Firm follows new trade in old-fashioned style (3,4)
ART DECO: The abbreviation for company goes after (follows) an anagram (new) of TRADE to give a design style of the 1920s and 1930s.

24a    A bit of a wag, even a joker maybe (4)
CARD: A comical or eccentric person, or part of a deck of which a joker might be an example.

25a    Heroin that’s found in the gym? (5)
HORSE: A slang term for heroin or a piece of gymnastic equipment. And the anglicised surname of one or our regular commenters.

26a    Enthralled by India, gracious setting for a famous sight (4)
AGRA: It’s lurking inside (enthralled by) INDIA GRACIOUS. This setting is indeed in India and is the site of a famous mausoleum.

29a    Position right for military leader (7)
OFFICER: A position or service followed by R(ight).

30a    Relatively favourable (7)
NEPOTIC: Favourable to one’s relatives.

31a    Fagin’s pupils were members of it (8,5)
CRIMINAL CLASS: A lesson in pickpocketing may literally be one of these; it is also the section of society to which Fagin and the like belong.

2d    It’s extremely small and free of charge (7)
NEUTRON: A tiny particle which has no electric charge.

3d    Travel free over the Orient (4)
RIDE: Free or disencumber followed by (over, in a down clue) the point of the compass that denotes the Orient.

4d    Two-year-olds may run in it — in two ways (7)
NURSERY: The definition can lead in two ways to the answer. A race for two-year-old horses or a place for children of a similar age.

5d    Complaint one’s taken to head about two students (7)
ILLNESS: This ailment is formed of the Roman numeral for one and a word for a head or promontory around (about) two instances of the letter denoting L(earner).

6d    Snick a boundary? (4)
EDGE: To snick a cricket ball is to deflect it off the side of the bat. I didn’t know that, but got the answer from the boundary. It’s a border or brink.

7d    Entry of animal makes Tom panic (7)
CATFLAP: A means by which a type of animal who may share my name can enter or exit a house. Follow a male of the species with a word meaning panic or fluster.

8d    Soldier escort arranged for individually-owned businesses (7,6)
PRIVATE SECTOR: The soldier is not the kind in 29a. After him comes an anagram (arranged) of ESCORT. This held me up longer than I care to admit because I wanted to put the S at the end.

9d    You may get a ring back to confirm this (6,7)
BROKEN ROMANCE: No telephone calls need be made: the ring is of the engagement or wedding variety. Having it returned symbolises this shattered love.

15d    Inclined to get slim before beginning to tan (5)
LEANT: A word for thin and the first letter of T(an) together produce a word meaning slanted.

16d    Fast? Nothing! It’s slow (5)
LENTO: The kind of fast that you may do before Easter (if you haven’t succumbed to the modern practice of stuffing your face with chocolate eggs during this time), then the letter that looks like a zero. A musical term.

20d    Be fond of  nurse (4,3)
CARE FOR: To have affection for or to literally look after. Perhaps by rescuing from entrapment in carbonite:

21d    Hanger-on holding money for a Scotsman (7)
SPORRAN: This ornamental pouch hangs in front of a Scotsman’s kilt and functions as a pocket or wallet. It may or may not contain money, and I’d be hesitant to check.

22d    A London club  magazine (7)
ARSENAL: This London football club is also a place for military stores.

23d    Converted highest fractions (7)
EIGHTHS: An anagram (converted) of HIGHEST. Not halves or quarters but halves of quarters.

27d    The lowest sort of people, that one always finds at the top (4)
SCUM: Matter on the surface of liquid lends its name to a derogatory term meaning lowlifes.

28d    Stone work which is above a learner (4)
OPAL: An abbreviation for a musical work, the A from the clue, and the abbreviation for learner that we saw in 5d.

I do hope you enjoyed that. Tomorrow it is Revenge of The Fifth. If you want more puzzling, you could head over to Wookiee Corner. I will leave you with an undoctored* home photo. (*May contain traces of lie.)

May the fourth be with you.

The Quick Crossword pun: boss+Hanover=bossa nova

1. Senf
    Posted May 4, 2015 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Thank you Rufus for another enjoyable and gentle start to the week completed comfortably before lights out last night. Kitty – I think your */*** rating is spot on. I think I have completed the MPP, but I am still slightly mystified by Prolixic’s ‘challenge.’

2. Graham
    Posted May 4, 2015 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Over far to quickly a bit like the English batting! No real standouts but did like 23D.Many thanks to the setter & Kitty for the review.

3. dutch
    Posted May 4, 2015 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Thanks Kitty for a lovely review on this bank holiday monday.

As I often find with Rufus puzzles, there are some exquisite clues in his signature style and others that leave me luke warm (was gonna say cold, but trying to get into the star wars theme)

I thought 10a (nearer the circle), 11a (the girls turns out), 12a (girl getting rave review), 18a (new taps fitted as kitchen equipment), 20d (be fond of nurse) were all classic examples of why we love Rufus.

On the other hand, 2d (its extremely small), 4d (Two year olds…), 31a (Fagin’s pupils) didn’t do it for me

But that didn’t detract from the overal joy of solving a puzzle from our most experienced master.

Many thanks Rufus and Kitty

• Kitty
      Posted May 4, 2015 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Thanks Dutch. I agree with everything you just said about Rufus puzzles, except that no clues left me Luke warm today. I was just happy to fly Solo, but found there was a Darth of answers that lent themselves easily to themed pictures. All that has made me hungry so I’m going to find something Chewie to have for lunch.

• dutch
        Posted May 4, 2015 at 11:30 am | Permalink

very good – that didn’t take you long.

4. Angel
    Posted May 4, 2015 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Slightly more than * for me but an enjoyable ride. Thanks Rufus and Kitty who helped the penny to drop for me in 10a – d’oh! The sun is shining beautifully so that’s enough sitting around indoors. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

Posted May 4, 2015 at 11:23 am | Permalink

I totally agree with Kitty. 1*/3* for a delightful Bank Holiday puzzle. Beautiful day here in London so I’m off out to the garden now.

Many thanks to Rufus and to Kitty.

6. gazza
    Posted May 4, 2015 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Thanks to the Monday Maestro and to Kitty for the splendid review. I thought this was pretty gentle, once I’d crossed out ‘promise’ as the second word of 9d. My favourite clue was 7d.

• Kitty
      Posted May 4, 2015 at 11:30 am | Permalink

Thanks Gazza. I too wanted promise in 9d. That second word was my last in – I just couldn’t find the romance. And 7d did of course make me smile.

7. Clarky
    Posted May 4, 2015 at 11:30 am | Permalink

Enjoyable start to the week. Completed without too much trouble, thankfully, but misled by 22d and my wife’s assurance that Annabel was a magazine for young teen girls once.
    Favourite clue 7d.
    Thanks Rufus and Kitty

8. George
    Posted May 4, 2015 at 11:37 am | Permalink

I started off very quickly but slowed down getting the last few in. The second word of 9d held me up for a while too. Then I had to recall football stuff for 22d which I had forgotten! Searching around for gentleman’s clubs for a while but Athaenium didn’t fit! Then ignorant about all aspects of Heroin added to the confusion.

Anyway, I finished in 1* time which seems about right for this puzzle and the usual 4* for enjoyment – I enjoy most of them!

Thanks to setter and all.

9. Ora Meringue
    Posted May 4, 2015 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Needed a little electronic help…but not much for this one.
    I liked 2d and 7d best because they made me smile..
    I’m not sure I have seen 9a as a phrase, but others may disabuse me.

Thanks to the setter and to Kitty . I would not have puzzled out 10a without her help.

10. happy days
    Posted May 4, 2015 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

As always with Rufus, very entertaining, For me, it made a nice start to the day

11. Jane
    Posted May 4, 2015 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Maybe having a few days away from puzzles has dulled the brain – a few issues in the SE corner pushed this into 2* time for me. The second word of 9d took a while as did the gym equipment (which I had to Google to confirm it had anything to do with heroin) and the realisation that 22d had nothing to do with gentlemen’s clubs.

Found it very difficult to spell 23d when writing it ‘downwards’ !
    Had the same slight doubt about 17a as Kitty mentioned – anyone else?

Good fun and I really liked the simplicity of 14a & 27d. Favourite goes to 7d for making me smile and wonder what pic Kitty would come up with – you didn’t disappoint! 3.5* for enjoyment.

Thanks to Rufus and also to Kitty – what a confident, competent solo-blogger you have become. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif

Posted May 4, 2015 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

Yes – like you and Kitty I did wonder about 17a but decided that it was setter’s licence.

• Kitty
        Posted May 4, 2015 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

It might not be in Chambers, but BD informs me that “tannery” is in the Shorter OED as “the process or occupation of tanning.”

• Liz
      Posted May 4, 2015 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Tannery was not the first word that came to mind for this clue…my first thoughts were saddlery and cordwainery, but these were very obviously off the mark, so it had to be tannery when I then realised the clues construction.

Posted May 4, 2015 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

I agree with the 1* for difficulty but a bit more than 3* for enjoyment so 3+*.
    I often have a few struggles on Mondays but not today.
    I made 18a into a problem by looking very quickly and coming up with ‘stewpot’ – really stupid but that’s what happens if I don’t write all the letters down.
    I thought there were quite a lot of anagrams or part anagrams – that suits me fine – I like them (when I get them right).
    I liked 14 and 24a and 4 and 27d. My favourite by a long way was 7d – that was the one that earned the extra bit of a star!
    With thanks to Rufus and thanks, well done and a big http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif to Kitty for doing it “all her own self” for the first time.
    Off to the garden – completely defeated by Mr Rookie today.

13. Sheepdog
    Posted May 4, 2015 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

Am I the only person in the world who has never seen Star Wars (well, since there used to be a Radio Four programme with name along those lines, I assume I’m not)

Posted May 4, 2015 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

No – you’re certainly not the only person who’s never seen Star Wars – that makes at least two of us.

• Miffypops
      Posted May 4, 2015 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

Three. Nor a James Bond film

• Sheepdog
        Posted May 4, 2015 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

No, never seen James Bond either

• Kitty
          Posted May 4, 2015 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

• Angel
          Posted May 4, 2015 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Nor me – five!

• Kitty
      Posted May 4, 2015 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

I was very late to the party. I’d absorbed most of it from the ether long before I finally undertook to watch the films. Now I’m at the party I’m staying until it runs dry.

As for Bond, never been tempted. I think I have technically seen one, but nothing penetrated my consciousness.

• Jane
      Posted May 4, 2015 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Four!

• Rabbit Dave
        Posted May 4, 2015 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Five!!!!!

• Liz
      Posted May 4, 2015 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

I HAVE seen Star Wars, but have never seen The Sound of Music or My Fair Lady……on the other hand, I have seen Independence Day about 150 times and Top Gun nearly as many……also all the Indiana Jones films and Crocodile Dundee! What does that say????

• Wahoo
        Posted May 4, 2015 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

You like whips and scary uniforms, gay abandonment and wild adventure, military men and child abduction and melodramatic theme tunes???

If so, I am surprised you have never watched The Sound of Music!

• Liz
          Posted May 4, 2015 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Oooer! I don’t remember any of that! Maybe I’ll give SoM a look!

• dutch
      Posted May 5, 2015 at 10:58 am | Permalink

Have seen every star wars and every bond movie – not sure what that says..

14. silvanus
    Posted May 4, 2015 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Lovely Bank Holiday stuff from Rufus, some delightfully crafted clues as ever and the usual cunning subtleties and double definitions.

My personal favourites were 21d and, especially, 31a.

Great entertaintainment, many thanks to the setter and to Kitty (loved the lightsaber picture !)

15. Miffypops
    Posted May 4, 2015 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

How nice it was to wake up at 7.00am and know that I did not have to spend time reviewing this puzzle. As usual there were some testers, some chestnuts, and some nice misdirection. Alas although we had a pan we were given nothing at all to cook in it. Well done and thank you Kitty. That is a super solo effort. So confidant that I bet you never wore a safety harness. Thanks also to Mr Squires. Happy Bank holiday Monday to one and all.

Posted May 4, 2015 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable. Thought it was going to be a bit tricky but proved to be quite straightforward. Needed the hint for 4d to fully parse the answer having had Defer first of all.
    Thx to all.

17. Liz
    Posted May 4, 2015 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

A nice gentle start to the week! Lots of lovely clues and some anagrams to help get me going….didn’t even need to use the hints today…Hooray! I particularly liked16d…always enjoy musical clues, and thought 25a, 21d, and 7d were amusing. 2d was neat too. My last in was 9d…I got the first word right away, but for some reason, just couldn’t figure out the second word until I had all the checking letters in place,….then the penny dropped! What a donkey! No Toughie to attempt today (still smarting from last weeks debacle) so looks like I’ll have to have a go at the GK puzzle. Thanks to setter and to Kitty…..I think this is definitely a */**** today.

18. SheilaP
    Posted May 4, 2015 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

I love Monday crosswords,my favourites of the week. It’s all downhill from now onwards, though Tuesday and Wednesday’s aren’t too bad. Thank you to Kitty and to the Monday setter.

19. Wahoo
    Posted May 4, 2015 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Gentle fun last night */***. 21d brought a smile. Thanks Rufus and Kitty.

20. Paso Doble
    Posted May 4, 2015 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Well done Kitty! We agree with the evaluation. Everything was pretty straightforward today but good fun nonetheless. We do like Rufus puzzles to kick off the week. 23d was the last in due to lack of lateral thinking. Then the proverbial (mathematical) penny dropped. We normally make our stews in a pot though, as in Ed ‘Stewpot” Stewart if any one is the age range to remember our Smashie and Nicie style disc jockey.

Posted May 4, 2015 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

I bet you didn’t actually put ‘Stewpot’ in though – it really played havoc with 9d until I realised what I’d done. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_rolleyes.gif

• Paso Doble
        Posted May 4, 2015 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

No we didn’t Kath, but we had to make sure that the answer was all one word.

21. Young Salopian
    Posted May 4, 2015 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

I think 1/3 is spot on today. I started it expecting the answers to be harder, but the relatively easy solutions kept on coming. I liked 21d for the smile factor.

Posted May 4, 2015 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus and to Kitty for the review and hints. A very enjoyable puzzle for the Bank holiday. A very gentle one. The only problem was in putting broken promise in 9d, but was soon rectified when I solved 26&30a. Favourite was 22d, as I’m a Gooner! Last in was 25a. Was 1*/3* for me. Off to Twickenham for a pint.

23. Gwizz
    Posted May 4, 2015 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Agree with everybody! Nice and gentle holiday puzzle. 1*/3*. No real outstanding favourite but if pushed I’d say 31a was a candidate.
    Thanks to Rufus and to Kitty for the review.

24. Toadson
    Posted May 4, 2015 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable. Liked 7d, last in 16d. Like Brian needed hint to fully justify 4d.

Posted May 4, 2015 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

Thank you Rufus for a nice Bank Holiday puzzle – solved sitting in the sunshine on Westleton Heath. Minsmere heaving with people this morning, no doubt the result of featuring on Springwatch. Many thanks Kitty for your review and hints. I expect 22d was your first answer Heno .

• Jane
      Posted May 4, 2015 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

Hi SW – just got back from a few days in W. Sussex. Guess you’ll have been to Pulborough Brooks – Nightingales on my list at last!
      In case you haven’t come across it – the Cowdray estate is great for Yellowhammer, Dartford Warbler & Woodlark.

• Sweet William
        Posted May 4, 2015 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Thanks Jane, never been there ! Haven’t seen wood lark on this trip – a few days to go. Got a wonderful 4 minute recording of 2 singing nightingales this afternoon. Unforgettable experience !!

• Jane
          Posted May 4, 2015 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

I’ll take your two and up it to seven at Pulborough!

• Sweet William
            Posted May 4, 2015 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

Wow ! 7 at once. Amazing Jane. What a wonderful moment ! Just a pity that we have to travel South to hear this fabulous song.

Posted May 4, 2015 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

Almost forgot to comment about today’s back page.
    Actually did it last night after work and it didn’t take too much effort but still very enjoyable.
    7d will be my favourite of course.
    Our bank holiday was Friday to Sunday.
    Thanks to Kitty for the review and to Rufus for the crossword.

27. Derek
    Posted May 4, 2015 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

Pleasant treat from Rufus as always!
    Last in was 30a.

No special favourites.

Weather still rather cool down here in the Var but at least dry.

• jean-luc cheval
      Posted May 4, 2015 at 11:28 pm | Permalink

Hi Derek,
      Come down towards the peninsula. We have very warm weather in Hyères.

28. Framboise
    Posted May 4, 2015 at 6:41 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed this gentle puzzle very much. Would nominate 7d as favourite. 1.5*/4*. May the 4th be with you all. Saw the first Star Wars in 1977 in Sharjah – our son was 6 years old and has remained a Star Wars fan ever since… Many thanks to Kitty for review and to Rufus for a smashing start of the week – not a Public Holiday in France as Jean Luc mentioned…

29. pommers
    Posted May 4, 2015 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

Rufus being benign methinks. */*** from me but ***** or more to Kitty for a most amusing revue. What a first solo http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

Thanks to Rufus (also for his Dante in the FT which is well worth a look) and to Kitty for the best revue for some time.

• pommers
      Posted May 4, 2015 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

PS Why has the kitten on the right got two light sabres? Not fair http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_negative.gif

• Kitty
        Posted May 4, 2015 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

Purrr! Thanks pommers. I’m guessing the Sith kitten came armed with two red sabers and they got redistributed during the fight. The one on the right might well be the Jedi kitten.

• pommers
          Posted May 4, 2015 at 8:41 pm | Permalink

Pommette’s four cats don’t have a light sabre between them. May the fourth be with you http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

• Kitty
            Posted May 4, 2015 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

Given what you’ve said about them I suspect it is a good thing for you that they don’t http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif.

• pommers
              Posted May 4, 2015 at 11:21 pm | Permalink

God forbid http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_eek.gif

• Kitty
                Posted May 4, 2015 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

… and soon it will be Revenge of The Fifth here. The dark side is promising cookies.

• pommers
                  Posted May 4, 2015 at 11:44 pm | Permalink

Don’t even mention the merest, slightest, not even mentionable, or thought about, negligable possibility of a fifth. Even the “Crazy Cat Lady of El Saladar” might draw the line there . . . or perhaps not http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

30. fran
    Posted May 4, 2015 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

Thanks Rufus , a very enjoyable start to the week .

31. Ginny
    Posted May 4, 2015 at 8:26 pm | Permalink

Thanks very much Rufus for a nice doable one. I enjoyed 7d. My cat pats on the 7d to get my attention and then either walks over to its bowl, looks at me and meows, or else it stands there while I obligingly open the kitchen door, and then it goes out, following the same procedure to get back in. Thank you very much, Kitty, for the very enjoyable review and illustrations. MP, hope all well and that you’ve had a.good bank hol.

• Miffypops
      Posted May 4, 2015 at 11:29 pm | Permalink

All good here Ginny. Sorry I was preoccupied last Friday and hope the Autumn Joy pleased you. Our last cat Charlie sat on the windowsill raising and dropping the casement latch when he wanted to be let out. He then meiowed loudly when he wanted to be let back in. Top Cat

• Ginny
        Posted May 5, 2015 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

Yes, many thanks indeed. They have hit the flowerbed running and I’m looking forward to their prediction of autumn.

32. Catnap
    Posted May 4, 2015 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

A lovely Rufus puzzle to start the week — especially lovely as far as I am concerned because I can’t usually do them, alas! I really and truly enjoyed this. My fave was 7d but I liked many others as well, including 14a, 9d and 21d.

Delightful review, Kitty, and all on your own — very well done indeed. I didn’t need any hints today, but I enjoyed going through them. I love those kittens, Jedi or not!

Many thanks to Rufus and to Kitty. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gifhttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

Posted May 4, 2015 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

A very pleasant start to the puzzling week. 1*/4*, l think, and l greatly enjoyed 7d. As l did Kitty’s splendid review. Thanks to her, and to Rufus for this gentle taster.

34. AndyB
    Posted May 4, 2015 at 11:23 pm | Permalink

A bit hit and miss for me. As for a few here 9d was my LOI. I can’t say I can see why this is a legitimate clue as I’ve never come across the phrase and it’s in no dictionary I’ve since consulted.

• Miffypops
      Posted May 4, 2015 at 11:39 pm | Permalink

I have had a few of them in my time. This is crosswordland where rules may not as you wish them to be. Checkers _R_K_N _O_A_C_ Would and did jump out at me. There has to be a vowel twice in word one. The second vowel is obviously an E. Most words that end A_C_ will end in ANCE. I know Big Dave isn’t keen but I would say get the checkers and work the rest out. It is how I got there.

35. Miffypops
    Posted May 4, 2015 at 11:40 pm | Permalink

Good Morning Tom. Nice to meet you again

• Tstrummer
      Posted May 5, 2015 at 12:47 am | Permalink

And very nice to be met. I’ll be back

36. Tstrummer
    Posted May 5, 2015 at 1:01 am | Permalink

Reading though the comments, many folk seemed to be enjoying fine weather, as was I when set out for work this afternoon in sunglasses and a light jacket. Not so much fun coming home in leaking shoes and no umbrella. I may have been wetter in my life, but that was in a swimming pool.

I normally enjoy Rufus on a Monday, but I found this one a shade too straightforward, and I would argue with a few of the answers, although I started and finished on the train home and only had to check that 30a was a word – it was obvious but I’d never seen it before. 18a had to be what it was, but I’d never heard of that either. Having said that, I loved 21d, and I have heard the expression in 9d.

Well done and thanks to Kitty for the excellent review and the galactic-themed pics. Those of you who have never seen the first three Star Wars films have missed one of life’s great joys. Give the later ones a miss.

Thanks to Rufus. 1*/2*

• Kitty
      Posted May 5, 2015 at 11:06 am | Permalink

I’m going to be controversial and say that I don’t think the prequels were entirely bad. They had an impossible job to do to after the originals. How were they ever to live up to them? And no adult watching was likely to have anything close to the same emotional response to the films as the child they were had.

Lots to find fault with indeed, but I’d rather the prequels existed than didn’t. I found Anakin’s fall to the dark side compelling. Maybe if his nickname hadn’t been a girl’s name…

37. Franco
    Posted May 9, 2015 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

Was it just a coincidence that 22d (Arsenal) is so close in the grid to 27d (Scum)?