Hints and tips by Miffypops and Kitty

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment ***

Good Morning one and all. We have our usual dose of deep joy from Rufus today which Kitty and I will attempt to unravel for you all. We hope you get your 1ac. It is nice to see some food at 20d and to be given plenty of picture opportunities.

The hints and tips below are here to help and guide you. I hope they serve their purpose. Definitions are underlined. If you still need an answer after reading the hint then press click here and the answer will be revealed. If you do not want to see the answer – do not click.

Across by Miffypops

1a    Full value that’s reduced by inflation (6-5)
MONEY’S WORTH: To receive full value for something bought but which not be quite as much after a round of monetary inflation

9a    Soldiers get together to reminisce (9)
RECOLLECT: The R(oyal) E(ngineers) followed by a verb meaning to bring or gather together a number of things

10a    End of the line for an old criminal? (5)
NOOSE: A clever cryptic definition of a loop with a running knot, tightening as the rope or wire is pulled and used to trap animals or hang people.

11a    Have an inferior berth, but remain quiet? (3,3)
LIE LOW: A very cryptic definition of how or where you would be sleeping in steerage or third class on a ship. The definition meaning (especially of a criminal) keep out of sight; avoid detection or attention. The checkers are a great help here.

12a    Director harassed by person who’s owed money (8)
CREDITOR: Anagram (harassed) of DIRECTOR

13a    Strain to find way about ship (6)
STRESS: Take a way or ST(reet) add our usual crosswordland suspect for about and the nautical abbreviation for S(team) S(hip)

15a    Notorious for being on friendly terms with the celebrated (8)
INFAMOUS: To be in with the in crowd followed by a word meaning celebrated or well known

18a    Resort to a lever to provide lift (8)
ELEVATOR: Anagram (resort) of TO A LEVER

19a    Follow a series of races to finish (6)
ATTEND: A from the clue followed by the T(ourist) T(rophy) races from The Isle Of Man and a verb meaning to bring to a final point or finish.

21a    Independent airs of Ned’s cats, perhaps (8)
DESCANTS: Anagram (perhaps) of NEDS CATS

23a    Writing about examination principles (6)
MORALS: Place the abbreviation for Manuscript around a verbal examination.

26a    Note on qualified dockyard job (5)
REFIT: Place our usual crosswordland two letters meaning about or concerning before a word meaning suitable for purpose

27a    Cut off reggae set with different running order (9)
SEGREGRATE: Anagram (with different running order) of REGGAE SET

28a    Attack with rope may result in a criminal record (11)
CHARGESHEET: To attack in the fashion of The Light Infantry followed by a rope attached to the lower corner of a sail for securing or extending the sail or for altering its direction.

Down by Kitty

1d    The Rolling Stones? (7)
MARBLES: Nothing to do with music. Traditionally made of this type of stone, now more usually glass, these are rolled in play. Kath often claims to have lost hers, but we know she hasn’t!

2d    Recess in pleasant hospital (5)
NICHE: Put on your best Yoda voice and read the second part of the clue as in pleasant: hospital. H(ospital) is actually the thing to insert into a four letter adjective meaning pleasant.

3d    Allow eyes to wander somewhere between Korea and China (6,3)
YELLOW SEA: An anagram (to wander) of ALLOW EYES. This is the colourful (but not black red or white) name given to the northern part of the East China Sea.

4d    Cry, having very little money (4)
WEEP: Take a Scottish word for little or tiny and add the letter denoting one hundredth of a pound.

5d    Leaving the job, as very shy (8)
RETIRING: Double definition. Maybe reserved more than shy and if leaving, having served one’s time at work.

6d    Put on edge (5)
HONED: A cryptic definition. To have put an edge on something. Perhaps one’s skills or maybe physically sharpened a blade using a smooth stone. (My penultimate in, before 10a which left me hanging for a while.)

7d    New rises involving Royal Academy – sharp rises (7)
SIERRAS: New indicates an anagram of RISES into which is inserted (involving) the abbreviation for R(oyal) A(cademy).

8d    Shelve mail – possibly open later (8)
POSTPONE: Put aside for later. A four letter word for letters or parcels and then an anagram (possibly) of OPEN.

14d    Says something quickly and staggers away (5,3)
REELS OFF: Utters rapidly and fluently. The first word of our answer also means lurches or wobbles and the second means absent.

16d    Writer shares out novel development (9)
AUTHORESS: This is not a specific writer but we do know something about her. She is an anagram (novel / new development) of SHARES OUT.

17d    Our gas main? (5,3)
NORTH SEA: A cryptic definition of a main or body of water near to us – if you live in the UK, that is. Natural gas was discovered there in 1910 and has been mined since the 1960s.

Since this is the second marine clue, here is a song which tells a salty story:

18d    Tree reaching second half of July is looking rather old (7)
ELDERLY: A small deciduous tree, native to the UK and much of Europe, is followed by the second half of (Ju)LY.

20d    Leave without second course (7)
DESSERT: Without here means outside, which foxed some people a couple of days ago. Take a verb meaning to abandon and insert S(econd), to create the course that comes at the end of the meal (unless the cheese course does).

042715_1050_3.jpg

22d    Greek for ‘upper room‘ (5)
ATTIC: Double definition. The first is the main Greek dialect that was spoken by the ancient Athenians and the chief literary form of classical Greek. The second definition is easier.

24d    Conscious respect surrounding rising artist (5)
AWARE: Not just respect but reverential wonder or fear, outside (surrounding) our usual artist from the institution which featured in 7d.

25d    Eager for silver turn-over (4)
AGOG: The chemical symbol for silver, then a word for turn (perhaps in a game) reversed (over).

I enjoyed that and I hope you did too. Do let us know in the comments how you got on.

The Quick Crossword pun: main+tenants=maintenance

1. Graham Wall
    Posted April 27, 2015 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Back from holiday and back to work tomorrow. Back into the routine of crossword solving. Thankfully today’s offering was a gentle ease into the week. hints not required. I rate this as 1*/3* My thanks to the Miffypops and Kitty consortium for the review.

2. Little Dave
    Posted April 27, 2015 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Very straight forward but enjoyable. Over a little too quickly. Thanks for the review and to the Setter of course. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

3. George
    Posted April 27, 2015 at 11:49 am | Permalink

A very slow start for me with this puzzle. I had to read almost to the bottom of the clues before being certain of one to enter into the grid. But, then, as sometimes seems to happen, things sped up and I finished in 2* time after all. Lots of anagrams helped substantially!

Thanks to all as usual.

2*/3* for me today.

Posted April 27, 2015 at 11:50 am | Permalink

I was heading for my 1* time today but got held up slightly in the NE corner (it seems to have been the NE corner quite often recently) so my rating for today’s fun puzzle is 1.5*/3.5*.

Another catty clue for Kitty!

Many thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops & Kitty.

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted April 27, 2015 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

I’ve only just read the review and seen the picture for 5d, which made me go “aah” (and 25d too!). Thanks very much, Kittyhttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

• Kitty
        Posted April 27, 2015 at 8:38 pm | Permalink

Just for you, RD. Glad you liked him.

• Rabbit Dave
          Posted April 28, 2015 at 5:07 am | Permalink

And you’ve got a new gravatar – a cute cat with rabbit teeth! What a bizarre combination!

• Kitty
            Posted April 28, 2015 at 11:53 am | Permalink

Tardar Sauce with a smile. For a limited time only.

Posted April 27, 2015 at 11:53 am | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops & Kitty for the review and hints. A very nice start to the week, quite straightforward, no problems, I was on the right wavelength today for a change :-)
    Favourite was 28a. Last in was 25d, was 1*/3* for me.

6. Angel
    Posted April 27, 2015 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

A gentle ease into the week but no less pleasurable for that. Finally had to seek outside guidance for 6d/10a but the latter of which I now reckon is my fav. Thanks Rufus and the brace of hinters whose pointers I will now enjoy reading through. **/***.

• Angel
      Posted April 27, 2015 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed seeing again the Hancock’s (Nearly) Half Hour – thanks for that nostalgia. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_lol.gif

7. dutch
    Posted April 27, 2015 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

Still recovering from Cambridge, what a pleasant day. So nice to see BD, CS, Toro, Bufo, Andy, etc etc but also my virtual friends from the DIY COW clue writing competition on ukpuzzle.com, especially Hoskins and Windsurfer. I enjoyed a lovely curry at the end of the day with BD, though he hadn’t been drinking which hardly something I could claim, so I just hope I was semi-coherent company. Looking forward to the London do coming up soon.

Lovely puzzle from Rufus today with much to like – I enjoyed 18a (lift) despite the need to split resort into re-sort, 21a (“independent airs” did fit nicely with “Ned’s cats”), 27a (the reggae set in a different order), 2d (in pleasant hospital), the simple but elegant 4d (cry having very little money) and 8d (shelve mail..)

Many thanks Rufus, Miffypops and Kitty

8. Cryptor
    Posted April 27, 2015 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

Logged on to blog to see what answer for 1d was. Problem was I put Penny’s worth for 1a which left only purples or paroles as possible answers for 1d. Mr Google tells me that a purple is another name for marijuana, so I connected that to the the rock band mentioned in the clue, and hey presto!

I now see the error of my ways and apologise profusely to the rock band in question for any slur on their character I had assumed.

Otherwise straightforward.

Posted April 27, 2015 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

Perhaps a little more than 2* for me it strayed into 2.5 but that was only because I didn’t know 21a, not a term I remember coming across before.
    Best clue by far for me was 10a, really clever but 7d deserves a mention too.
    Thx to all today for a nice start to the week.

10. Paso Doble
    Posted April 27, 2015 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

We found it slightly more challenging than Rufus’s normal Monday fare, so therefore, more enjoyable. 2.5/3.5 for us.

Thanks as always to good old Rufus, Miffypops and Kitty!

I’m in the kitchen now preparing a surprise supper for the female half of Paso Doble whose birthday it is today. I’ve managed to to get her out of the house with some friends who have taken her to Soho for sushi, and an early evening cocktail where I’m sure they will be drinking espresso martinis (dreadful stuff!)……..

• Miffypops
      Posted April 27, 2015 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

Happy Birthday to her

• Paso Doble
        Posted April 27, 2015 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

Thank you Miffypops. She’ll be the same age as me for four months, then reality will be restored making me a year older again.

• Kitty
      Posted April 27, 2015 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

Many yppah to Paso Doble. To one half now and the other in four months’ time.

11. Beaver
    Posted April 27, 2015 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Going for a **/***,about right for that jaded Monday feeling. Lots of amusing clues, liked the surface reading of 16d.Thanks to M and K for the brilliant blog pics , loved 25d,particularly apt as I watched the film last night-not for the first time-loved Mary Badham as Scout, believe she once had a date with Mick Jagger-the mind boggles, also reminds be of the prison scene in the Wallis and Grommit film when Grommit was reading Crime and Punishment by’ Fido’ Dostoevsky!

12. omar
    Posted April 27, 2015 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

1ac and 28ac held me up, but otherwise ok – good puzzle, all logical and nothing obscure!

13. JonP
    Posted April 27, 2015 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Straightforward solve with the 10ac and 6d crossers being last to fall. Thanks to MP & K and Rufus 1.5*/3*

14. SheilaP
    Posted April 27, 2015 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

I love Mondays and especially Monday cryptics. Finished without resort to hints and in reasonable time for us. Lovely day here in Scarborough. Thank you to M & K. And to the Monday setter of course.

15. Miffypops
    Posted April 27, 2015 at 1:28 pm | Permalink
    • Paso Doble
      Posted April 27, 2015 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

They are wearing hats! Can that be construed as being bereft of garments?

Posted April 27, 2015 at 6:52 pm | Permalink

The watering can is pretty effective as a ‘garment’ if you ask me!

• Kitty
          Posted April 27, 2015 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

At the moment the weather here is forecast to be cloudy, so no need for hats. It will rain midweek, but a watering can might nonetheless be a good idea.

• Liz
      Posted April 27, 2015 at 9:48 pm | Permalink

No chance…….not on this East Coast with an onshore wind…….Shiver me Timbers, Jim Lad aaraghh!!

Posted April 27, 2015 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

Mr CS and I got up at 4 am and went off to near Leeds Castle for a hot air balloon flight which was absolutely wonderful. Got back for early lunch and the Rufus puzzle which didn’t take very long at all. I particularly liked the ‘rolling stones’ Thanks to Rufus and the Monday Two.

Now if only BT Email wasn’t playing silly whatsits, I could print off two puzzles I was sent to test last night and go and find a sheltered spot in the sunny garden to solve them. I’ll have to do the Rookie while BT sort themselves out.

Posted April 27, 2015 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

I might have to go for nearer 3* difficulty and 3* for enjoyment.
    The extra * for difficulty was because I did something extremely stupid with 17d – just don’t even ask because I’m not saying but http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_redface.gif
    Having done that I couldn’t do 21, 27 or 28a – once I sorted it out everything else fell into place.
    10a/6d took a while as did 7d – no excuses for that one.
    I interpreted 26a as the ‘note’ from the clue being a musical one preceding the word meaning qualified.
    I liked 11 and 21a and 1 and 16d. It took me years to find out that Harper Lee is a woman. My favourite was 10a.
    With thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops and Kitty – well done, again.
    Off to the garden while the sun is out – Rookie Corner later on.

18. Paso Doble
    Posted April 27, 2015 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Glad to see that Rufus is still in possession of all his 1d. Delightful clue!

19. Robin
    Posted April 27, 2015 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

1 down. Clue – The Rolling Stones? Hint begins – “Nothing to do with music.” How true, how very true.

20. fran
    Posted April 27, 2015 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

Lovely puzzle but over with too quickly */**** : thanks to Kitty for explanation of 6d and Rufus for making me smile .

21. pommers
    Posted April 27, 2015 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

Finally back home! Visited Manchester, Oxford and Truro over the last 10 days and flew in and out of Birmingham so 995 miles covered in 1.2l Corsa – http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-phew.gif Nice break though and all aged parents and friend’s parents OK, or at least no worse!

Archy would like to say thanks to Mehitabel for the tea and brownies and a very pleasant couple of hours sitting in her garden. Really nice to meet at last.

Rufus has provided a splendid return puzzle to which we’ll give */****. Fav was 1d but I have to say the chestnut alarm was ringing a bit but I like to see old friends from time to time.

Thanks to the Monday duo and Rufus.

Posted April 27, 2015 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

. . . and Mehitabel would like to say thanks to archy for making the time to visit, and lovely to meet you at last too. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

22. mebebob
    Posted April 27, 2015 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

What I class as a ‘proper cryptic’. For me too the really clever 6d and 10a were last in.

Posted April 27, 2015 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

Thank you Rufus for a lovely Monday puzzle. I thought 1a was very good. Thanks Miffypops and Kitty for your review and hints. Sunny day at Minsmere – wonderful to hear nightingale again. We don’t hear their beautiful song up Norf.

• Hilary
      Posted April 27, 2015 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

We are just up the coast from Minsmere and it certainly has been a lovely day, OH got the lawns cut and put some dressing on them. Crossword a lovely Monday treat to cheer my up because I did something silly and my hip has been agony all day. Better now so off to do quick crossword and have some supper.

Posted April 27, 2015 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

After battling over in rookie corner it’s been a relaxing experience to solve Rufus.
    Thanks to MP and Kitty for the usual entertaining review.
    Happy birthday to No1 Paso.

25. Jane
    Posted April 27, 2015 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

Golly – it takes almost as long to read through the blog as it does to do the puzzle, what with the long nautical ditty and half an hour of Hancock. What a great series that was – my favourite is the one where TH is stood by the corner of a shop window, raising one arm and leg to create the impression of a slightly deranged fellow doing jumping jacks!

As with others, the 6d/10a combo was last in although I also had a slight dither over 1a (that wretched missing apostrophe trap again) and worried that all the 1d’s I can recall have been made out of glass.

Think I’ll go for 21a as favourite – not only a clever anagram but a great surface read. 2*/3* for me.

Thanks to Rufus and many thanks to MP and Kitty for a bright and breezy Monday blog. Kitty will doubtless lap up the gratitude of RD for the pic. at 5d and I loved the intelligent feline at 25d. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

Now – is there time to fit in the Rookie, I wonder. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_scratch.gif

Posted April 27, 2015 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

Is there time to fit in the Rookie depends on how much time you’ve got – I’m really struggling. Good luck and we’ll compare notes in the appropriate place later on. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

• Kitty
      Posted April 27, 2015 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

It’s not obligatory Jane. I am only just about to watch MPs video. And the Rookie will have to wait for a rainier day too because I don’t think I can face him tonight.

• Jane
        Posted April 27, 2015 at 9:28 pm | Permalink

I know it’s not – but it’s always such fun!
        Good luck with the Rookie, I’ve just about given up on it. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif

• Tstrummer
      Posted April 28, 2015 at 1:06 am | Permalink

I think you may have confused Hancock with Harry Worth

26. silvanus
    Posted April 27, 2015 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

The usual welcoming start to the week, nothing too tricky and definitely a case of receiving one’s 1a.

Some delightful pictures above, especially accompanying 25d :-)

Thanks to the setter, and of course M & K.

Posted April 27, 2015 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Id was my favourite and I liked 10a for its smooth surface.Thanks kitty and Miffypops.
    The thought of naked gardening ! We are promised snow here.

• pommers
      Posted April 27, 2015 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

Naked gardening would work in Spain apart from the thorns on the bougainvillea. Oh, and the cacti and the other thing we have who’s name remains a mystery but has thorns on its thorns.

28. Liz
    Posted April 27, 2015 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

A really great puzzle without too many difficulties. A nice easy start to the week! I particularly liked 1d which I got straight away…first one in. I have a large collection of these little beauties which I use as decorative pieces in glass jars. Used to have many more and some very pretty, unusual ones, but gave a load away….wish I hadn’t now. I also liked 22d… A very neat and clever clue I thought. Had a bit of a holdup with 27a an couldn’t work out the anagram …..could only come up with ‘Easter egg’ until the penny dropped. Also a bit slow to get 17d which is amazing as I live right next to it! Otherwise, no problems and didn’t need to use the hints for a change. Thanks to setter and to MP and Kitty. */*** rating today.

Posted April 27, 2015 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

10a was probably the clue that gave us most delay. We are so used to seeing ‘criminal’ as an anagram indicator that we must have looked at every possible combination of the letters in ‘an old’ before abandoning that tack. Good fun that all went together very smoothly.
    Thanks Rufus and the two bloggers.

Posted April 27, 2015 at 9:10 pm | Permalink

Very gentle (1*) but by no means without its pleasures. A few too many anagrams for my taste, but that’s a minor quibble. As is the fact that I’ve only ever seen 28a as two words. Still, l enjoyed the puzzle, and particularly 1d. VMTs to Rufus, and to K&M for the review.

31. Tstrummer
    Posted April 28, 2015 at 1:15 am | Permalink

After the first pass on the train home, I thought I might struggle with this friendly offering from Rufus, but once home, with the London Pride neatly poured, it all fell neatly into place. I particularly liked 10a and 25d. So thanks to Rufus and to Kittypops for the splendid review (good to see Hancock again, with all those stalwarts of British comedy). 2*/2* for me.
    PS: why do people think it’s all right to put their feet up on the seats while they stare at their telephones in late-night trains? I always feel like standing up in the carriage with a megaphone and shouting at them, but reckon I would be killed to death if were to try it.

32. Bruce
    Posted April 28, 2015 at 7:58 am | Permalink

An enjoyable and relatively gentle puzzle . Was it only me who wanted 8dn to be raiser , sharp rises ?

Posted April 28, 2015 at 9:45 am | Permalink

Welcome to the blog, Bruce.

• Miffypops