Sloggers and Betters 11

Sloggers and Betters 11

What? The 11th annual “Sloggers and Betters” gathering for crossword setters and blog contributors and readers will take place in London, following on, as in previous years, from the annual lunch for Times setters.

When? 2:00pm onwards on Tuesday 19th May 2015.

Where?

London – meeting at the George, Borough High Street, Southwark, SE1 1NH

The George, Borough High Street, Southwark, SE1 1NH

And later? Anyone still standing will be heading towards a nearby restaurant.

Who? Anyone who is interested.

Why? It is hoped that most of the Times setters and several of the Telegraph, Guardian, Independent and FT setters will put in an appearance. There should also be a cross-section of bloggers and readers from this site, Times for the Times and Fifteensquared. This is your chance to meet us!

How? You can just turn up on the day, but feel free to indicate your intentions by leaving a comment.

If you’ve never been before, these are very friendly functions and you have the opportunity to meet other like-minded people.

1. Kitty
    Posted April 4, 2015 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

It’s in my diary, and I shall be there unless circumstances dictate otherwise :).

Posted April 4, 2015 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

My day off is already booked – just trying to make up my mind which (free) exhibition to visit in the morning to get the most out of the cost of my train ticket.

• Heno
      Posted April 4, 2015 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

I’d recommend the new Tate.

3. dutch
    Posted April 4, 2015 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

Fully intend to be there

Posted April 4, 2015 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

I’m up for it.

Posted April 4, 2015 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

WOW. Since we first started looking at the blog, we have looked enviously at the photos from theses events and wished that we could be part of one of them. And now, by a sheer stroke of good fortune, we are going to be in London at that time. We will be there!

Posted April 4, 2015 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

• Toro
      Posted April 4, 2015 at 11:01 pm | Permalink

• Miffypops
      Posted April 27, 2015 at 11:07 am | Permalink

That post has got me thinking

• Deep Threat
      Posted May 12, 2015 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Sadly, I am leaving the country to go on holiday that day, so won’t be able to make it.

6. Tstrummer
    Posted April 4, 2015 at 9:25 pm | Permalink

As this is just around the corner from my shiny new office, I can pop in for a bit before work. This is a splendid pub, haunt of Shakespeare (probably) and Dickens (definitely)

7. Toro
    Posted April 4, 2015 at 11:04 pm | Permalink

I’ll be there too and look forward to it hugely

8. Sil van den Hoek
    Posted April 4, 2015 at 11:22 pm | Permalink

Now that I enjoy a sabbatical I can, for once, be there – at last!
    Looking forward to it.

9. Paso Doble
    Posted April 5, 2015 at 12:07 am | Permalink

After the thoroughly enjoyable afternoon outing at the Cruciverbalists Convention in Maida Vale, we will definitely be there.

10. gazza
    Posted April 8, 2015 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

I intend to be there.

• 2Kiwis
      Posted April 8, 2015 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

We are so pleased about that. You are one of the people we really wanted to meet when we are in your country.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

Posted April 8, 2015 at 10:58 pm | Permalink

… and I wanted to meet you two and I look forward to doing so.

11. Beet
    Posted April 20, 2015 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Hadn’t confirmed before because job situation was up in the air, but looks like I will be a lady of leisure in May and therefore looking forward to seeing you all there.

12. Khinjan
    Posted April 26, 2015 at 6:20 am | Permalink

Hello

I thoroughly enjoyed meeting the S & Bs in Cambridge on Saturday. As I live in Oundle, it was great to have a “local” event..

Myself and “The Management” will see if we can get to Southwark for the next event.

I the meantime, my thanks go to the organisers and indeed to those attending the perspiring towers.

What a great bunch of people.

13. flashling
    Posted April 27, 2015 at 7:54 am | Permalink

Shame, Cath & I will be out the country this time.

14. Miffypops
    Posted April 27, 2015 at 11:10 am | Permalink

I will be on holiday in Cornwall so was not going to attend. Now those two pesky Kiwis have announced that they will be there how can I miss it? Decisions Decisions.

15. tilsit
    Posted April 28, 2015 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Tickets all booked.

• Bufo
      Posted April 29, 2015 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

Ditto

16. Micawber
    Posted May 6, 2015 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Aiming to pop in during my break for an hour or so around 3.30.

17. Shropshirelad
    Posted May 12, 2015 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

A gap has opened up on my schedule, so I will hopefully be there on the day. I will be wearing a red carnation and carrying that day’s DT. You will obviously recognise me as I will be the only one stark naked http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

• Jane
      Posted May 12, 2015 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

So where are you planning on pinning the carnation? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif

• Shropshirelad
        Posted May 12, 2015 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

You’ll have to turn up and seehttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

Anyway, who said anything about ‘pinning’?http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_whistle3.gif

• Jane
          Posted May 12, 2015 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

Well…. sticking or stapling won’t work, but I guess you could always……. no, that’s too silly, it would just make your eyes water.
          Sadly, can’t be with you all as I’m away for the week – hoping I might make the next birthday bash, if BD decides to arrange one.
          Have a great time. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

18. Shropshirelad
    Posted May 13, 2015 at 10:50 pm | Permalink

Please forgive me but, never having been to one of these shindigs, how do I recognise anyone?

• Jane
      Posted May 13, 2015 at 11:22 pm | Permalink

Having described your outfit for the day, I don’t think you need worry – everyone will find YOU quite easily. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

19. Sprocker
    Posted May 14, 2015 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Yay, the stars have aligned for me, and I’ll actually be in London that day, so I’ll be able to make this http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

Posted May 15, 2015 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

Just decided to hop off my fence where I’ve been sitting for quite a while – I’ll be there. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

21. Snape
    Posted May 16, 2015 at 10:26 am | Permalink

I’ll be there, in my role as lurker, as my contribution so far has been one Rookie Corner crossword and a couple of comments. I’ve seen some of the photos with crosswords scattered about – are contributions expected? I’ve got a couple that were going to go in to RC (once my effort that’s in the queue has appeared and I can adapt the latest clues to avoid the same mistakes) but I can bring them along. I will happily leave it to people who know what they are doing, though.

Good to see that someone has rated the event as 3*.
    Disappointed that my name and e-mail address only received a 1* rating.

And I’m glad Shropshirelad mentioned his attire. I hate it when you turn up somewhere, and someone’s in the same outfit. I will change my plans.

Posted May 16, 2015 at 10:52 am | Permalink

Crossword contributions aren’t essential – just turn up and meet all those people you only know so far as ‘names’

22. silvanus
    Posted May 17, 2015 at 11:37 pm | Permalink

I shall be there too, it will be great to meet so many people “in the flesh” – or perhaps I should rephrase that in view of Shropshirelad’s comment?!

A good turnout in prospect from Rookie Corner by the look of it, both in terms of setters and regular solvers :-)

23. Paso Doble
    Posted May 19, 2015 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Blinking ‘eck…we’re going to be late owing to unfavourable weather conditions.

24. Shropshirelad
    Posted May 19, 2015 at 11:22 pm | Permalink

Just to let you all know that I am back home safe and sound after a fantastic day out in the ‘Smoke’. What a pleasure it was meeting you all today, so thanks for a thoroughly enjoyable day out. Hopefully, I will see some of you again at future shindigs. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

Keep up the good work BD, I think you have created something brilliant.