Hints and tips by Deep Threat

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment ***

Good morning from South Staffs

As usual from Giovanni, one or two words which may widen your vocabulary, but clued in a way that makes them solvable. Reasonably straightforward as far as I was concerned.

In the hints below, the definitions are underlined. The answers are hidden under the ‘Click here!’ buttons, so don’t click if you don’t want to see them.

1a           Good ear features — they are rounded (6)
GLOBES Good followed by parts of ears.

5a           Left-winger with frivolous warning (3,5)
RED LIGHT – The colour associated with Left Wing politics, followed by an adjective meaning frivolous or not serious.

9a           Not against old lover having enough say (3,7)
FOR EXAMPLE – Put together a word for ‘not against’, the usual former lover, and another word for enough, or more than enough.

10a         Beginning or end of dream in corporate bedroom (4)
DORM – The first letter of Dream, OR (from the clue), and the last letter of dreaM.

11a         ‘Footballer has quiet time’ — where might you see that? (4,4)
[Paper version: ‘Footballer has quiet time’ — where might you see that? (But not here!) (4,4)]
BACK PAGE – A defender in a football team, followed by the musical symbol for quiet and a period of time, giving the traditional location for sports news in a newspaper, but not the Telegraph, as the paper version reminds us. Sadly, the presence of a large advert means that today’s paper crossword is not ‘here’, so the clue doesn’t quite work.

12a         Country that could trouble USA, sir! (6)
RUSSIA – Anagram (could trouble) of USA SIR.

13a         Go away from fire wasting little time (4)
SHOO – Remove the Time from a verb meaning to fire a gun, and you get an instruction to go away.

15a         Eastern objects, about a hundred artistic items (8)
ETCHINGS Eastern plus a word for objects (or a quality in yesterday’s crossword!), with the Roman numeral for a hundred inside it, giving the artistic items that hopeful suitors invited young ladies to come up and see.

18a         Most open row interrupting celebratory party (8)
FRANKEST – A row of soldiers on parade inside an abbreviated form of a word for a big celebration.

19a         Worry when vehicle has sign of no petrol? (4)
CARE – A motor vehicle followed by the letter often found on a fuel gauge at the end of the scale which indicates a lack of fuel.

21a         Skilled in poetic style (6)
VERSED – Double definition, the first describing someone with a detailed knowledge of his or her calling.

23a         What can indicate disapproval, love, anger? All in a teacher’s role (8)
TUTORAGE – Put together a voiced expression of disapproval, the letter that looks like a love score at tennis, and a word for anger.

25a         Still gripped by magical moments (4)
CALM – Hidden (gripped by) in the clue.

26a         No cost ever worked out for motorists’ temporary requirements? (5,5)
COVER NOTES – Anagram (worked out) of NO COST EVER. Do these still exist?

27a         Holly had these insects (8)
CRICKETS – these insects were also Buddy Holly’s band.

28a         Having a band, Salvationists must have basic accommodation (6)
SASHED – The initials of the organisation which Salvationists belong to, and a building often found at the bottom of the garden.

2d           Drug supplied by naughty lad outside work (1-4)
L-DOPA – Anagram (naughty) of LAD wrapped around the abbreviation for a musical work.

Image result for l dopa

3d           Stop working in short holiday away from Oxford? (5,4)
BREAK DOWN – A short holiday followed by the term used to describe an Oxford student leaving the university.

4d           Army prisoner could undermine this ultimately? (6)
STALAG – This is an all-in-one clue. The final letter of thiS is followed by the initials of the former name of the Army Reserve and one of the usual prisoners. The whole thing is one of those establishments which plucky Tommies tunnelled out of in any number of war films.

5d           MPs perhaps disturbed by inveterate press (15)
REPRESENTATIVES – Anagram (disturbed by) of INVETERATE PRESS.

6d           Actress has choice of food that’s full-flavoured (8)
DIETRICH – This actress was probably singing Lili Marlene in the film in 4d. A day by day choice of food followed by a word for full-flavoured.

7d           River business — try to escape from it (5)
INDUS – Remove the TRY from a word for an area of business, to get an Asian river.

8d           Messenger is alcoholic almost, one inclined to overindulgence (9)
HARBINGER – Remove the final letter (almost) from an adjective which when applied to liquor indicates that it is alcoholic, then add someone who overindulges in food or drink.

14d         Dispose of a shire right here! (5,4)
HORSE FAIR – Another all-in-one clue. Anagram (dispose) of OF A SHIRE and R(ight), giving you somewhere you might dispose of a Shire, or a Clydesdale or a Percheron.

Image result for horse fair

16d         Run up debts, showing no concern to learn? (9)
INCURIOUS – A word for ‘run up’ or bring upon oneself, followed by a familiar expression for debts or promissory notes.

17d         Principal dealt with a rebellious fighter, a source of worry (8)
HEADACHE – another word for a school principal, followed by A (from the clue) and Crosswordland’s usual Communist rebel.

20d         Supplies rushed aboard ship (6)
STORES – A word for rushed or hurried, inside the usual crossword ship.

22d         Tot caught hugging a tree (5)
SUMAC – To tot or add up, and the cricket abbreviation for Caught, placed either side of A (from the clue).

Image result for sumac

24d         Birds emerging from these eggs the wrong way (5)
GEESE – Hidden in (emerging from) the clue in reverse (the wrong way).

The Quick Crossword pun BAWL + BUOY = BALL BOY

1. omar
    Posted March 27, 2015 at 11:04 am | Permalink

Nice puzzle, although 4d had me stumped until I read your hint…..

2. bifield
    Posted March 27, 2015 at 11:17 am | Permalink

I enjoyed this one this morning, no real problems. Thanks to Giovanniand to Deep Threat for the review.

3. Giovanni
    Posted March 27, 2015 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Thanks for the feedback. Point of information: in 14D you also need right=R to complete the anagram

• Deep Threat
      Posted March 27, 2015 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Many thanks. I’ve amended the hint.

• Liz
      Posted March 27, 2015 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

I got this one without even realising it was a anagram! Shire- horse; Right – fair . Brain in overdrive.

• John
        Posted March 27, 2015 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

Same here….

4. Hanni
    Posted March 27, 2015 at 11:23 am | Permalink

***/***

Ahh Giovanni. How I struggle with you. Today I struggled with 7d…had to check it was a real river, 4d was just a guess as was 23a.

However I thought that the whole puzzle was really rather good.

Favourite clue is 6d.

Many thanks to The Don and to DT for a fine blog.

I hope that everyone has a lovely weekend.

5. George
    Posted March 27, 2015 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Very straightforward romp for me this morning. I did not understand what 26a had to do with motorists though.

I was not sure if 27a was referring to a female wielders of willow or the Band, knowing the many sports references in these crosswords. The latter does make more sense, I suppose. In any case, I guessed the solution before using Google to check out the wordplay.

Other than that an enjoyable enough puzzle. Thanks to setter and DT.

1*/3*

• Deep Threat
      Posted March 27, 2015 at 11:39 am | Permalink

The answer to 26a is what insurance brokers used to issue to a motorist taking out a policy, pending preparation of the formal documentation. These days, when everything is done online, I’m not sure they still exist, as I commented in the hints.

• George
        Posted March 27, 2015 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

Ah – that is not the way it is here in Canada. I had forgotten such a system for insurance in the UK.

6. Beaver
    Posted March 27, 2015 at 11:38 am | Permalink

A complete range of clues from the obvious to the difficult, so a 2.5*/*** for me today, and like Hanna i thought it was ‘rather good’. Apart from initially inserting ‘rumac’ for 22d-which fitted the clue quite well (despite not being a tree!) all fell nicely into place. 4d seemed obvious but took a while to work out why-another dreaded ‘all in one’ liked 14a and 14d.Thanks DT for the pics- will play Buddy when I get home.

• Deep Threat
      Posted March 27, 2015 at 11:43 am | Permalink

It’s worth it. The patronising intro from the presenter, and the young ladies standing watching in their posh frocks, are priceless.

• Hanni
        Posted March 27, 2015 at 11:48 am | Permalink

It’s fantastic DT. The presenter slays me, she’s marvellous fun. I’ve watched it twice now.

• Beaver
          Posted March 27, 2015 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Just watched it at work-not allowed sound! brilliant, the presenter looks a bit like Lady Isobel Barnet-or someone of that ilk from ‘ what’s my line’-lip read Buddy and if I’m not mistaken its Peggy Sue !

• Hanni
            Posted March 27, 2015 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

Spot on! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

• George
            Posted March 27, 2015 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

It reminded me of Ed Sullivan introducing the Beatles on their first US tour.

Just a changing of the times. But then I would be much the same if I had to introduce a rapper! Just don’t get that ‘musical’ form.

• Miffypops
              Posted March 27, 2015 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

I am with you reference rap music. As far as I am concerned it begins with a silent C

• Paso Doble
                Posted March 27, 2015 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

I agree with you Miffypops. although some other members of the household are quite keen on it. They think my interest in art begins with a capital F.

• Hanni
                Posted March 27, 2015 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Quite!

• Kitty
        Posted March 27, 2015 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Crikey.

7. Miffypops
    Posted March 27, 2015 at 11:40 am | Permalink

After my abject failure yesterday it was pleasing to find today’s puzzle on the lighter side of Giovanni’s capabilities. Well reviewed by Deep Threat with excellent illustrations and clips. Ta to all. See you on Monday.

8. Poppy
    Posted March 27, 2015 at 11:52 am | Permalink

Thanks DT for saving my sanity! And what a clip of Buddy Holly with those amazingly dressed girls in the background standing completely still – with one having the correct little foot in front of the other!! All great fun. So thanks to the setter. No prize for guessing my fave – 14d of course. Greetings to allhttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

9. Wayne
    Posted March 27, 2015 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable and straighforward solve today. No hitches or hold ups. **/***** for me.
    Shouldn’t be any controversy about todays’ Quickie pun.
    Thanx to Compiler and DT for the usual excellent review. (From a dedicated Buddy Holly fan).

10. Owdoo
    Posted March 27, 2015 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

Not many chuckles in today’s puzzle.
    Took me far too long, but in retrospect I can’t really see why. I must be slow this morning.
    On the plus side, I learned two new things: A type of tree and a drug.
    3*/2*
    Thanks to DT and Giovanni.

11. Harport
    Posted March 27, 2015 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

I was completely stumped by 6d even though I had all the crossing letters.
    I think I’ll go and play ‘Sag mir wo die Blumen Sind? as only she can sing it.

12. Kitty
    Posted March 27, 2015 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Swift enough progress … straight into a wall. Sought a little help at the end. Ah well.

I will go for 24d as favourite. In a little while I shall go and check that the local family of these still has six little cute fluffy bitesized members. They ware all present and correct yesterday, despite having to run pretty swiftly into the water when a dog chased them :(.

13a is a word the Kitties use affectionately when one needs to go but is reluctant. One more day until it will be needed again. This makes me a sad panda http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cry.gif.

I may or may not find time to pop in tomorrow, so will wish you all a happy weekend now.

• Kitty
      Posted March 27, 2015 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

Gah – forgot to thank the setter and DT. Your hard work is much appreciated.

Posted March 27, 2015 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed this. The only one I was not familiar with was 1D but it was easy enough to work out. Knew 22D. We have them around here. 27A was my favorite. Unfortunately, I haven’t been here long enough to recognize who the presenter was or what show the clip could have come from. Thanks Giovanni and DT.

• Expat Chris
      Posted March 27, 2015 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Good. Got it. that would have been bothering me all day. It’s from a show called American Bandstand that began in the 50s and ran for decades.

Posted March 27, 2015 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

For the second day running, I am going to be different and say wrong envelope day again, unless of course it was just me being so far away from Giovanni’s wavelength. I wish the crossword could be on the 11a all the time. Thanks to G and DT.

The Toughie is fun while it lasts (read into that what you will ;) )

• Expat Chris
      Posted March 27, 2015 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

Funny how things go. I had no trouble with this but I’m struggling to get into the toughie today!

• Steve_the_Beard
      Posted March 27, 2015 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

If by “wrong envelope day” you mean that there was rather more GK required than I would have expected today, then I am with you, Sister!

I’ve never heard of 2D before, I think that I may have seen 22D once before and it’s a very, very long time since I’ve come across the name for 27A.

Howsomever… Il Maestro was on great form as usual, and the clueing and checkers made even these difficult ones possible.

Hats off to the Don, and thanks to DT too.

• Liz
        Posted March 27, 2015 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

L Dopa is used to treat Parkinson’s disease

• Steve_the_Beard
          Posted March 27, 2015 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

Yes, I used the dictionary once I had a candidate answer… but I’d never heard of it up to that point :-)

• Paso Doble
          Posted March 27, 2015 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

it certainly is Liz. My grandfather was prescribed this when he was suffering from Parkinson’s disease and I think the after effects are very similar to a drug which many people used to take for fun particularly during the 1970’s,

• Hanni
      Posted March 27, 2015 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

I think it means that a Friday Toughie may be doable without tears/swearing…delete as necessary.

• Brian
      Posted March 27, 2015 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

With you all the way (as Harry Secombe was quoted ie The audience was with me all the way but managed to lose them at Watford)

Posted March 27, 2015 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Thank you DG, never easy for me on a Friday, but managed this one OK. Useful to have had the river in a recent puzzle. Thanks DT for your review and hints. I did think of “hostel” for 28a initially until the penny dropped with 20d !

16. toadson
    Posted March 27, 2015 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

An interesting and quite enjoyable puzzle I reckon. As the review says, a couple of new words, but able to be worked out. Have a good weekend all.

17. Mebebob
    Posted March 27, 2015 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed this site for a while but never joined in as I usually rise late. Today we are baby sitting and as the tot has agreed to kip for a while I’ve managed an early afternoon finish. Some very witty offerings but 2 and 22 down new to me.

Posted March 27, 2015 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog, Mebebob. Now that you’ve de-lurked I hope that you’ll join in on a regular basis.

• Miffypops
      Posted March 27, 2015 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

And a big hello from me too. We too welcome the moment sleep overtakes our grandson

18. John
    Posted March 27, 2015 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

I knew this was going to be difficult, when one of the first clues answered was 21a, and my irrational fear of German sausages and their homophones came to the fore. I always fear the wurst.

Having said that, I managed to get across the finishing line, except for 2d and 22d, neither of which I have heard of before (though I’m not too worried about not having heard of a drug!)

Favourite today, I think that’s going to be 14d.

With regard to the clip supplied by DT for 27a, could this song not be adapted by one of those reputable companies, you know, the “have you been involved in an accident that wasn’t your fault” type, to encourage people to take legal action. The mere addition of a comma would give the instruction / suggestion “Peggy, Sue!!” (though had my ex been called Peggy, she’d have needed no such encouragement)http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_negative.gif

• Even Deeper Threat
      Posted March 27, 2015 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

Our local supermarket tried putting signs up above their departments with the team leader’s name. So in one corner there was a large sign “Sue your friendly fishmonger.”

19. SheilaP
    Posted March 27, 2015 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Probably not the hardest Friday offering, but still tricky in parts for us. As is usual, on a Friday, one or two unusual words, but we looked them up in our electronic gadget. Thank you to the Friday setter and to DT.

20. Liz
    Posted March 27, 2015 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

I really enjoyed this one and give it a **\**** For some reason I missed the anagrams in 14d and 2d and just went straight to the answers! What’s happening?? I had never heard of 22d, but guessed it must be that. The only Sumac I know of was a singer called Ema Sumac who a fantastic voice range I think she was from Peru or some other S American country. Thanks to setter and for the clues which thankfully I didn’t need to use too much today. If only it was always thus!

21. Paso Doble
    Posted March 27, 2015 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Loved todays puzzle! Must have woken up on form and in complete agreement with Deep Threat’s assessment.

22. Graham Wall
    Posted March 27, 2015 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

Really enjoyed this puzzle. I would rate it as ***/*** I needed the review as 22D had me stumped. Thanks to DT for his efforts.

23. pommers
    Posted March 27, 2015 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

I’ve just been out to get a new gas bottle for the kitchen heater which I fear has been a complete waste of time. The thermometer in the car says it’s 26C this afternoon so why was I buying more gas? Oh well, it will keep until December. The lazy wind of yesterday is gone and there is the feel that Spring has sprung http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

This puzzle was pretty good too. I’d heard of both the obscure ones although I thought the drug was called levodopa.

**/*** from us.

Thanks to Giovanni and DT

Posted March 27, 2015 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

I always used to look forward to Friday’s Giovanni but lately they have defeated me comprehensively. Am I alone in finding his puzzles of late very difficult indeed?
    Really struggled again today although the at least there is only one unknown word in 22d.
    Thx to all

• Angel
      Posted March 27, 2015 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

Brian, you’re certainly not alone today although I am somewhat reluctant to agree with an indefatigable rebel! The Don is not always too exacting for me but today he completely defeated me and I resorted to hints for probably two-thirds so not much fun was had. As I prepare for a classical music break in Leipzig I was pleased to be reminded of one of German superstar, Marlene’s, sexy offerings but I am afraid I can’t say the same for Buddy Holly’s Rock and Roll music. Furthermore his “debutantes” in the background really did look somewhat out of place! *****(first time ever)/*. Thanks Giovanni and DT for much help. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

Posted March 27, 2015 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Finished this but did need an explanation for 27a. Unlike Brian, I never could do Giovanni’s puzzles, and now, three weeks in a row, I’ve actually finished and enjoyed them.
    I had no internet yesterday, and looking at the comments, it appears that was a good thing!
    Thanks to Giovanni and to DT. Fave was 14d, loved it.

Posted March 27, 2015 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Just watched the Holly clip, unbelievable! The girls must have all been on 1d, not a foot moved to the beat.

Posted March 27, 2015 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Giovanni and Deep Threat. A very enjoyable puzzle today. I’m having a bad run of solving (non-solving) at the moment :-) Needed the hints for the last words of 5a&3d, and for 21a&22d. Favourites were 23a,8&16d sorry Kath. Was 3*/4* for me.

27. Werm
    Posted March 27, 2015 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

I am clearly being a bit slow but how does 10a work? I got the answer but still don’t get how it works? Beginning or end of dream I get but where is the explanation to put OR inside please? Surely not “in” , that doesn’t work for me. Nobody else has flagged this so I am clearly missing the blooming obvious http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

thanks setter and DT . Good weekend all.

• Physicist
      Posted March 27, 2015 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

The beginning or end of dream is d or m. Just leave out the spaces!

• Werm
        Posted March 27, 2015 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

told you….d’oh…..

btw that’s not what the explanation above says though hence I won’t tell myself off too much :-)

28. fran
    Posted March 27, 2015 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Spent loads of wasted energy on red alert , even though I knew it was wrong ; Top left corner also held me up although was aware of the parkinson connection struggled with 4d because I tried to fit pow into the bottom half.
    Challenging but a good solve thanks DT and the setter ***/***

• John
      Posted March 27, 2015 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Yes, “red alert” had me going for quite a while as well!

• Brian
      Posted March 27, 2015 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

Me too, red light to me suggests a district best not visited after dark!

• fran
        Posted March 27, 2015 at 11:37 pm | Permalink

Al Ert famous yorkshire comedian ? light , very flimsy

29. Shropshirelad
    Posted March 27, 2015 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Late on parade today due to a house malfunction so needed something to brighten my spirits. As a Friday back pager (nearly) from the Don normally lifts my mood I was not disappointed, but I do agree with some of the other contributors that it seemed to fall somewhere between back pager and toughie level. As is the norm a couple of new words to add to my vocabulary although for the life of me I can’t think where I’ll manage to drop 2d’s answer into a conversation.

Thanks to the Don for popping in and the puzzle and to DT for the review.

Haven’t had time for the Toughie today so I’ll save that for the morrow. Have a splendid weekend allhttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

30. Chris
    Posted March 27, 2015 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

I was on Giovanni’s wavelength today for a change, and the only real difficulty was that I wasn’t ever on Buddy Holly’s. Despite that minor hiccup it was good fun to solve. Many thanks to Giovanni for the enjoyment and thank you to DT for the review and the hilarious clip of the unknown qualities of Holly and his compere.

31. Jay legs
    Posted March 27, 2015 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

The calm after the storm (of yesterday) **/**** had not heard of 2d but thanks to the bloggers up to speed (unintended pun) ;) Thanks To DT and Giovanni :)

32. Mhairispiper
    Posted March 27, 2015 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

I’m not totally certain as to how your star rating works, but on the assumption that four stars are for difficulty and four also for enjoyment, I would give this one **/*****. Yes, I’ve added an extra star as I enjoyed it so much. I loved clues 5, 11 and 27 across. There was plenty more for me to enjoy, so my thanks to the setter.

33. Framboise
    Posted March 27, 2015 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

No problem solving today’s Giovanni. Must have been on the same wavelength. Thought of LSD for 1d but of course I was short of two letters! Was able to work it out from the clue as most of us did. Curiously enough my last one was 28a… 14d was my favourite. 2.5*/4* with many thanks to setter. Enjoyed Buddy Holly and Marlene so many thanks to DT for an entertaining review. We had lunch at Jean-Luc’s restaurant today…

Posted March 27, 2015 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

Another well crafted Friday puzzle. We did actually know all the obscurities apart from 26a, but it was easily guessed and then checked in BRB. Much appreciated and enjoyed.
    Thanks Giovanni and DT.

35. silvanus
    Posted March 27, 2015 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

A puzzle of two distinct halves……the right hand side went in fairly quickly, but most of the left hand side had to be coaxed out.

There were some terrific clues, 6d, 8d and 27a (my favourite) all stood out and brought a smile or two in the process.

2d was new to me, but perfectly solvable.

Many thanks to Giovanni and to Deep Threat.

36. Ora Meringue
    Posted March 27, 2015 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

I’m afraid I was totally rubbish at this one.
    But, to quote Scarlett, tomorrow is another day.

Posted March 27, 2015 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

Started slowly but finished well within 2* time. 3* for enjoyment, though, and l enjoyed 27a particularly. Thanks to Giovanni, and to Deep Threat for the review.

38. Nickinchester
    Posted March 27, 2015 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

I’m sorry but I hate puzzles like these. Couldn’t remotely finish it. 2d for starters. ** people – really? And so many clues which when you have the answer, you can just about workj out the tenuous links, but when looking at yeti on there are so many possibilities. Awful, sorry. Makes me want to take up sudoku

39. JonP
    Posted March 27, 2015 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

Needed to look up a couple prior to the hints coming out but found this mostly straightforward (bar said couple). Thanks to Giovanni for an enjoyable puzzle and thanks to DT 2.5*/3*

40. Jane
    Posted March 27, 2015 at 9:36 pm | Permalink

This was on target to be my second ‘easy’ Giovanni in a row and then I hit the wall with five to go. 2d I’ve never heard of (maybe fortuitously), 4d I probably should have been able to work out, 22d I’d got as Saman (small man hugging ‘a’) so 27a was never going to work – and 28a I thought was really weak. 3*/2* as a result, when I was hoping for a 2*/4*. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

Never mind – thanks to Giovanni for all the rest, particularly 16d which made me smile and many thanks to DT for a great review.

Brilliant day’s birding with the target bird – Marsh Tit – well on show but then home to a family crisis which took the shine off the day and possibly made me more ‘cross’ about the clues I couldn’t answer. Apologies to the Don.

• Hanni
      Posted March 27, 2015 at 10:44 pm | Permalink

Hi Jane,
      Is everything OK? Glad your birding went well. Having a Kath moment. Have you noticed that Hilary has not been around much? Anyway I do hope you’re less ‘cross’. Have a http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif

• Jane
        Posted March 27, 2015 at 11:11 pm | Permalink

Hi Hanni – thanks so much for your concern but no, things are far from OK – don’t really want to talk about it just yet. Give me a little while.

As for Hilary – yes, now you come to mention it. Oh dear, I hope she’s just away on hols or something. Maybe she’ll check in and let us know.

• Hanni
          Posted March 27, 2015 at 11:36 pm | Permalink

Hi Jane,
          Whatever it is, my thoughts are with you. Daft as it sounds, given we’ve never met, I consider you a friend.

Goodness you get the ‘golf’ thing!

You’re right…hopefully she’ll check in over the weekend.

Posted March 27, 2015 at 11:22 pm | Permalink

What a great Friday back page.
    Enjoyed every minute of it.
    Being on a double today, I just finished and 27a was my last one.
    Great clue.
    Loved 6d also.
    For 4d, Colditz kept popping into my mind and it took me a while to remember the name of these camps.
    Nice to see Framboise and John at lunchtime.
    Thanks to the Don and to DT for the review.

42. Gwizz
    Posted March 28, 2015 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

I seem to making a habit of being last to comment. I must get up earlier…
    No, maybe not.
    A lovely Friday crossword from the Don; a slow start and a slow finish also actually but good fun along the way. 27a was my favourite, and thank you DT for the clip. 2.5*/3* overall.
    And now for Saturday’s challenge….

43. fortis70
    Posted March 29, 2015 at 11:36 am | Permalink

i thought it was pretty straightforward but for stalag which i got easily enough although i didn’t know why until i read the blog, i had twigged the lag bit but not the beginning, only after reading the blog did i catch on to the territorial army which goodness knows we have often enough but i didn’t connect with this clue. thank you for the explanation