ST 2784 (Hints)

Sunday Telegraph Cryptic No 2784 (Hints)

Hints and tips by Big Dave

As is usual for the weekend prize crosswords, I will select a number of the more difficult clues and provide hints for them.

Some hints follow:

1a    Clubs pursuing goal for victory (8)
A charade of C(lubs) and a phrase meaning pursuing a goal (2,5)

10a    Something got from parent for boy — or girl, we hear (4)
This a unit of heredity which is transferred from a parent to offspring is also a boy’s name, and sounds like a girl’s name

11a    Cautious piano duo (6-6)
A word which describes the musical notation piano is repeated (duo)

13a    Cooked very badly, needing something done about it (8)
V(ery) and an adverb meaning badly or not well inside (needing … about it) an action or something that is done

16a    Design tool or material for carpenter, mostly (4)
A design is derived from most of a tool that might be used by a carpenter or some material that might be used by a carpenter

20a    Ring pulled back and forth (6)
The letter that is shaped like a ring followed by the reversal (back) of a word meaning pulled

27a    Messenger carrying extreme letter from tyrant for king’s follower (8)
A messenger around (carrying) the final (extreme) letter of [tyran]T

28a    Commanding attention with small spear or missile (8)
S(mall) followed by a spear or a controversial ballistic missile

2d    Exaggerate merits of love poetry, two lines (8)
O (love) followed by some poetry and two L(ine)s

3d    Expression of uncertainty using odd quotes in religious book (8,4)
An anagram (odd) of QUOTES IN followed by a religious book of the New Testament

6d    Express oneself badly as single female covering summit (8)
A single female, as opposed to a married one, followed by (covering in a down clue) a summit

12d    Female isn’t passionate about king that’s timid (5-7)
F(emale) followed by a four-letter colloquial word for isn’t and an adjective meaning passionate, the latter around the Latin abbreviation for king

16d    Chance of success for religious group seizing power (8)
A prefix meaning for and a religious group around (seizing) P(ower)

17d    Overly fussy editor, under pressure, opposed to chapter (8)
ED(itor) preceded by (under in a down clue) P(ressure) and followed by a word meaning opposed to and C(hapter)

22d    Speak indistinctly in mass, say (6)
M(ass) followed by a verb meaning to say or articulate

25d    Miss no longer hugging a heavenly body (4)
The tile given to a married woman around (hugging) the A from the clue

Today it’s Happy Birthday to Roger “Rufus” Squires (83)
Rufus, aka Roger Squires, the Guardian cryotic crossword compiler

1. Framboise
    Posted February 22, 2015 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Happy birthday to Rufus! Another excuse for an extra Kir tonight, so there. Not too taxing but a gentle tickling of the grey cells for a Sunday exercise… 2*/4* for me with 11a as favourite. Many thanks to setter and to BD for the review. Had to check 13a as was not sure of my answer.

2. Poppy
    Posted February 22, 2015 at 11:36 am | Permalink

Grateful for the hints, BD, as I’d got 13a without being able to work out why. Thank you. Birthday greetings to Rufus too, and many thanks to setter for a pleasant tussle.

Posted February 22, 2015 at 11:42 am | Permalink

2*/4.5*. Excellent Sunday fare as always. Lots of smiles and very entertaining throughout. I particularly liked 10a (including BD’s nostalgic video clip!), and 23a, with 11a my favourite.

BD, I parsed 16a slightly differently. I took “design” as the definition with most of either a carpenter’s tool or a material a carpenter might use as the wordplay.

Many thanks to Virgilius and to BD, and a very happy birthday to the wonderful and seemingly ageless Rufus.

• mary
      Posted February 22, 2015 at 11:46 am | Permalink

I took 16a as you too RD

• Posted February 22, 2015 at 11:51 am | Permalink

You’re right. I did try to fit the carpenter’s tool into the wordplay but missed the either/or scenario. The hint is duly amended.

4. mary
    Posted February 22, 2015 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Happy Birthday to my still favourite setter ‘Rufus’ http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif , I enjoyed todays puzzle with 11a and 25d being my favourites, awww come on Kath, I haven’t been here much lately, surely I can have two favourites today http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif
    Have internet at mo very slow but at least its on, new cables been laid through village so sometime in March things should improve http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted February 22, 2015 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Nice to have you back again, Mary. Let’s hope that March is the dawning of a new era for you and that you will once again be able to be a regular contributor.

• mary
        Posted February 22, 2015 at 11:49 am | Permalink

I can but hope RD … thanks

5. Hilary
    Posted February 22, 2015 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

Lovely morning albeit chilly in Suffolk, lovely sparkly crossword to match. Seem to have emerged from my slough of despond and yes I did have to jot down the anagrams and yes I did have a teeny bit of electronic help but I got there. Perhaps I will keep crosswording after all. Thanks to setter and BD. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-phew.gif

• mary
      Posted February 22, 2015 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

A few years on Hilary after starting cryptics and I still use my electronic friends and my Chambers crossword dictionary, there is nothing wrong with that, deciphering the clue in the first place is the hard part as far as I’m concerned! Sometimes I just cant think of the right word or don’t even know it! A Rufus crossword was the first one I solved without any help at all but there aren’t that many since! So keep crosswording and keep on this blog and you are bound to improve and hopefully enjoy … thus endeth the sermon!!!! Well I haven’t said much lately :-)

• Hilary
        Posted February 22, 2015 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Thank you and welcome back. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif I had a very bad week last week but realised that I would miss BD’s gang so will stay with it for the time being,

Posted February 22, 2015 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Nice to ‘see’ you again, Mary even though you’re already causing trouble with your two favourites rubbish!!
        Just to add something to what you said about being unable to think of the right word or not even knowing it – if in doubt invent one, such as ‘perservate’ or ‘perservation’! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

• mary
          Posted February 23, 2015 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

Now why didn’t I think of that Kath!!! :-)

6. Owdoo
    Posted February 22, 2015 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

A bit trickier than yesterday’s puzzle I thought, but all the better for it. I took a while to get going, but a pleasant sense of achievement on completion.
    Favourite clue was 19d, sounds like quite a cocktail!

Thanks to Virgilius for another enjoyable puzzle, and to BD for the blog, plus a happy birthday to Rufus.

Posted February 22, 2015 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

Are the 3 (or possibly more ) double definitions a nod to Roger Squires bithday ?I see the double definitions as his signature clue.Great puzzle , as usual. Thanks V and BD.

8. dutch
    Posted February 22, 2015 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

Nice puzzle today after a week’s break.

I had parsed 22d as a most awful homophone ************* [this is a prize puzzle! BD]! I laughed with relief when I read the review.

Many nice clues. I particularly liked 20a (ring pulled back.. reminds me of not being able to pull the ring tag off a beer can). I also liked 11a, and 23a (warden won’t let you feed it).

Happy Birthday Rufus

9. mary
    Posted February 22, 2015 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Have to go now … band practice got a flute that needs tooting … maybe back later depending on internet http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_negative.gif

10. George
    Posted February 22, 2015 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Yes, a very good Sunday puzzle as usual. 2*/4* for me today.

Posted February 22, 2015 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

Very late night, too much to eat, too much to drink so a bit fuzzy round the edges today. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif
    I didn’t have too much trouble with the crossword so either I’m not as fuzzy as I feel or it was fairly gentle for a Sunday – the usual good fun anyway.
    It took me ages to see why 13a was what I thought it had to be.
    Having decided that 4a was one of the dreaded lurkers I managed to invent a French designer but he started one letter earlier – he doesn’t exist. Oh dear.
    I liked 11 and 23a and 14 and 25d.
    With thanks to Virgilius and to BD and a very Happy Birthday to Rufus.

Posted February 22, 2015 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

Re 4d, I know exactly what you did because I spent far, far too long looking for the same French designer who does not exist.

12. Steve_The_Beard
    Posted February 22, 2015 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Very pleasant, with several smiles, but over all too quickly (a new PB).

Happy Birthday, Rufus :-)

BTW I usually warm up by doing the Quickie. Today, in the online version, the answer to 8A is the same as the clue. What does the paper version say?

Posted February 22, 2015 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

The clue in the paper for 8a is Backlash.

• Steve_The_Beard
        Posted February 22, 2015 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Thanks Kath :-)

Posted February 22, 2015 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

Thanks. I was going mad trying to find any word that would fit.

• Framboise
        Posted February 22, 2015 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

Ah, no wonder I could not get anything else than the same word as the clue and was really puzzled! Thanks Kath.

13. SheilaP
    Posted February 22, 2015 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable puzzle so thank you to the Sunday setter and to BD.

14. JonP
    Posted February 22, 2015 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Usual excellent crossword from Virgilius. I took a while to get 1ac but after that it all fell into place quickly. Thanks to Virgilius and BD **/****

15. Gwizz
    Posted February 22, 2015 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

i enjoyed solving this puzzle which for me was the usual ‘a little more tricky then the Saturday one’. Some very good clues including 11a, 17 and 19d, but my favourite was 25d.
    Many thanks to Virgilius(?) and BD for his hints.
    Happy Birthday Rufus…. keep ’em coming!

16. Gwizz
    Posted February 22, 2015 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

PS I forgot. 2*/4*.
    And thanks for asking Steve the B, I thought I was being stupid having spent 20 minutes or so going round in circles on the Quickie. Well, I suppose I was come to think of it…

Posted February 22, 2015 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

Thank you Virgilius, I thought that was a bit harder than recent Sunday’s puzzles, but nevertheless enjoyable as always. Too many favourites to list ! Thanks BD for the hints.

Posted February 22, 2015 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Virgilius and to Big Dave for the hints. A super puzzle as usual, but quite tricky. I also have 2 Favourites (sorry Kath) 20&23a. Last in was 19d. Struggled to make progress then suddenly all fell into place. Was 3*/4* for me. Happy Birthday to Rufus.

Posted February 22, 2015 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Oh dear! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_negative.gif

Posted February 22, 2015 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

I’ve got two favourites (at least) too – but as the lucky reviewer of this doubly delightful crossword, I can mention as many as I like in the review as by the time the 5th of March comes, Kath will have forgotten to check up on me http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_whistle3.gif

Posted February 22, 2015 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

. . . oh no I won’t – I’ll be on special sentry duty! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_negative.gif

• mary
            Posted February 23, 2015 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

Looks like a losing battle Kath … http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

19. RichardW
    Posted February 22, 2015 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

About time I de-lurked….http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

I’ve been a long time attempter of the DT crosswords, but only recently thought I must be able to do better. This site has helped enormously http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

Finished both today’s and yesterday’s without even opening the dictionary or resorting to the hints!

Odd things though, crosswords, there were 3 this week that mostly got * or ** difficulty, but I could do less than half of them. Hey ho, onwards and upwards http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cool.gif

Posted February 22, 2015 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

Welcome Richard – hope that now you’ve delurked, you’ll be back on a regular basis.

• RichardW
        Posted February 22, 2015 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

Thanks Sue, look in most days, so expect I will dig my oar in!

Posted February 22, 2015 at 10:26 pm | Permalink

Welcome from me too – I’m all for people de-lurking and sticking their oars in – it’s what makes this such a brilliant blog – the more the merrier!http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

Posted February 22, 2015 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Pleasing, but rather gentle, l feel. 1*/3* overall. 13 and 20 across were nice, and the former gets the nod for favouritism from me. Many thanks to the setter and to BD, and birthday greetings to Rufus.

21. Paso Doble
    Posted February 22, 2015 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

2*/4* for us. A really enjoyable puzzle today with 13a the last to go in. Thanks to the setter and to Big Dave. Happy Birthday to Rufus.

22. pommette
    Posted February 22, 2015 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

Not done todays crossword yet, will attack it later.
    But just thought I’d say happy birthday Rufus

Posted February 22, 2015 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

A very Happy Birthday, Rufus, my co-favourite setter. Can I have a co-favourite Kath? I always look forward to Sundays and Mondays.
    Today was no exception, and I think a little on the easier side for Virgilius. Like CS, so many clues are candidate for fave, but I think I’ll keep in Kath’s good books and choose just one, 11a.
    Thanks to Virgilius for another gem, and, of course, thanks to BD for his review.

Posted February 22, 2015 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

Glad that you did the same as I did with 4d (not 4a which is what I said earlier). You can have a little http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif for the one favourite in today’s crossword but I might have to think a bit about the new phenomenon of co-favourite. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

24. Angel
    Posted February 22, 2015 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Just the right level of challenge for me and several te-hees along the way. NW corner last to go in and stupidly failed to fathom 10a – d’oh Thanks Virgilius and BD. ***/***.

Posted February 22, 2015 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

We don’t usually comment on the weekend prize puzzles but will make an exception this week so we can add our Happy Birthday Rufus wishes to the list.
    We enjoyed today’s Virgilius puzzle as we do every Sunday.
    Thanks Virgilius and BD.

Posted February 22, 2015 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

Found it a bit harder than last week too. But managed in the end without help apart for my thesaurus for the double definitions.
    Happy birthday to Rufus.
    Thanks to Virgilius and to BD.

27. fran
    Posted February 22, 2015 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

Happy Birthday Rufus and many of them . Nice to put a face to a name. Needed one hint but a very enjoyable crossword ***/****

28. gingerpickles
    Posted February 25, 2015 at 8:22 am | Permalink

Enjoyed this weeks crossword and thought it was a bit harder than Saturday but it has been the other way around recently. Doing these crosswords is a family tradition but my dad only has 2 pens to show for over 30years. What is everyone else’s experience?

• spindrift
      Posted February 25, 2015 at 10:26 am | Permalink

That will be 2 more than most of us here! Well done Dad but by my reckoning the cost of postage over a 30 year period means that he could have probably bought the Mont Blanc factory by now but good on him for perservating.