Hints and tips by Miffypops

BD Rating – Difficulty *Enjoyment ***

I think the seasoned withered old veterans of the cryptic world will find this a breeze. Less experienced solvers should get there with perseverance. The clueing is altogether fair and the checking letters assist throughout. If you falter, find words that fit, bung them in and work backwards to see why they do or do not work. Do not look for deviousness, go for the straightforward.

The hints and tips below are there to help and guide you. I hope they serve their purpose. Definitions are underlined. If you still need an answer after reading the hint then press click here and the answer will be revealed.

On a lighter note it is always nice to see a bit of food and drink provided in a crossword but the fruit and drink here is a little on the feminine and light side. Could the setters please supply something a little more hearty?

5a    Round of applause before dance that’s kind of foul (8)
HANDBALL: Take an informal noun meaning a round of applause and add another noun meaning a social gathering for dancing to reveal a foul in association football punishable by a free kick or a penalty attempt. Those of you with little footballing knowledge should be able to solve this one from the wordplay.

8a    Keen to embrace that woman in bright red (6)
CHERRY: Place a three letter word meaning to keen or weep and place it around (to embrace) a word meaning that woman to reveal a bright red colour

10a    Little bit of dough adds about middle (6)
CENTRE: Dough is an informal term for money. Use the smallest (little bit) of American coinage and add our usual abbreviation for about. This will give a word meaning middle.

11a    Bones from Wounded Knee? Lots (8)
SKELETON: Anagram (Wounded) of KNEE LOTS

12a    Public school to plan residence welcoming the Queen (12)
CHARTERHOUSE: This plan appeared yesterday at 3d. It can be a map showing coastlines and water depths. The residence is what we all live in. The Queen pops in between these two words (welcoming) and very nice it is to see her too. Perhaps we should offer her a little 15ac and a bowl of 8ac

15a    White wine — some bucellas tippled (4)
ASTI: A lurker. This white wine is hiding away in the clue. It will not be the winner of the hidden word championships.

17a    Opinion expressed by soldiers evicted from apartment building (5)
TENET: This type of apartment building was common in the Glasgow of yesteryear. From this we need to remove (evicted from) the ordinary members of the armed forces as distinct from the officers.

18a    Hear about old system of weights (4)
TROY: To hear as in sit in judgement in court around (about) the letter o(ld)

19a    Splits up       firm producing vehicle components? (5,7)
PARTS COMPANY: A double definition as indicated by my separation and underlining of the words in the clue above. I hope those of you who have been misdirected into thinking that the twelve letters of the words SPLITS UP FIRM were the fodder for an anagram as indicated by the word producing will hold your heads in shame at your great waste of the world’s resources

22a    Dance enthusiast circling with energy (8)
FANDANGO: Place a three lettered conjunction inside a three letter word meaning enthusiast and follow that with a word meaning energy or drive.

24a    Bishop with book in bed (6)
BORDER: Use the B(ishop) from the clue and add a word meaning to reserve something. The bed you find will not be in the bedroom, or for that matter in the house at all.

25a    Capital city, captured by Cézanne, I viewed reflectively (6)
VIENNA: This capital city is our second hidden word of the day. It will be harder to spot because it is written backwards as indicated by the word reflectively

26a    Unnecessary to sew fringes of skirts (8)
NEEDLESS: To sew as a verb is followed by the outside letters (fringes of) S(kirt)s

1d    Journalist cycled over carrying it (6)
EDITOR: Take the past tense of a word meaning to sit on and control a bicycle and reverse it (over). Put the word IT inside (carrying)

2d    Power shown by champion dog, race’s early leader (4-6)
PACE SETTER: P(ower) followed by a word meaning champion or a person who excels at a sport will give the first word to this answer. The second word is a breed of gundog. Together the give the name of the chappie who sets the speed of a race and then waits for the glory boy to overtake him at the last lap Well done Chris Brasher (yes, he of the boots) and Chris Chataway.

3d    Spots name inside card (4)
ACNE: Place N(ame) inside the highest value playing card to find these spots mostly associated with one’s teenage years.

4d    Strong macho types kept in check (8)
VEHEMENT: Place a word split 2,3 meaning macho types inside (kept in) a verb meaning to make a careful and critical examination of something.

6d    Devious mate’s pocketing your old gemstone (8)
AMETHYST: Anagram (Devious) of MATES containing an old word for “your” but which can still be heard in regular use in the north of England.

7d    Lots terribly low after workers suffered a heavy defeat (4,5,4)
LOST HANDS DOWN: The first word is an anagram (terribly) of LOTS. The second and third words can be found by placing a word meaning low, sad or depressed after another word for workers to find this term for a heavy defeat

9d    Fleece  man on board (4)
ROOK: A double definition, the second and easiest being a chess piece

13d    Duel arranged — relaxed Burton’s kept calm (10)
UNTROUBLED: A clever double anagram with one anagram inside the other. DUAL (arranged) is one. BURTON (relaxed) is the other which fits inside (kept) the first. . You may treat the two together as one big anagram, the end result will be the same.

14d    Deliveries for doormen (8)
BOUNCERS: This term for doormen is also the term for a cricketing delivery

16d    Disrespectful, lacking foresight right away (8)
IMPUDENT: Remove the letter R R(ight away) from an adjective meaning not showing care for the consequence of an action.

20d    Conditional release initially playing a part (6)
PAROLE: A term for release from prison under restriction (conditions) can be found by taking the P from P(laying) as indicated by the word initially and the A from the clue and adding a word for a part in a theatrical production.

21d    Duty on one vehicle (4)
TAXI: A chestnut of a clue. Pace another word for a duty which may be levied upon earnings above (on) the roman numeral which looks like ONE to find a vehicle which plies for hire

23d    Japanese drama about a Hebrew patriarch (4)
NOAH: This type of Japanese theatre rears its head all too often in crosswordland so it is well worth remembering. Place it around the letter A from the clue to find the geezer that built the ark.

Thanks to Stevie Winwood and the rest of the members of Traffic for their magnificent reproduction of their 1973 tour On The Road. I saw this tour on 20th March 1973 at Birmingham Town Hall and replay it regularly

RIP Dave Dingle. Best before 18/01/2015

The Quick Crossword pun: quire+buoy=choirboy

1. Angel
    Posted January 20, 2015 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Thanks Mr. Ron. IMHO this was a great improvement on yesterday and much enjoyed by me. As you say MP, it was somewhat of a breeze for this seasoned withered old veteran but no complaints about that being the case now and then. Thanks for your hints anyway. I wonder whether Kath liked the double entente in 14d! Keen synonym in 8a was new to me. **/***. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

2. dutch
    Posted January 20, 2015 at 11:49 am | Permalink

Nice straightforward puzzle. Not sure what you are saying in 4d miffypops, i think to vet as a verb just means to check, or to examine/test.
    In 22a i made my life harder than it needed to be by parsing “circling with” as an anagram (which would be indirect, I realise now) of “and” – have seen a few anagrams of and recently.

I liked 10a (little bit of dough),19a (splits up firm) and 1d (journalist cycled over..). I hadn’t heard of the Japanese Drama before but could work it out.

Now i’m wondering – are chess pieces men also when they are a horse or a castle?

Many thanks setter and miffypops, not in the least for a great Dylan track.

• Miffypops
      Posted January 20, 2015 at 11:58 am | Permalink

Hello Dutch. I misread the clue for 4d when writing the hints and found a vent that wasn’t there when I removed the machismo types. . Vet I fully understand. I think all chess pieces are referred to as MEN even the horses and the castles. There are only two songs I know with the word fandango in them and the other one is the most irritating song ever. Dylan will always win out anyway. I will alter the hint for 4d

• jean-luc cheval
        Posted January 20, 2015 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

Oops. I’ll never mention that song again, I promise.

• Miffypops
          Posted January 20, 2015 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

We could have skipped a light fandango -Procul Harem. whiter Shade Of Pale

• Sheepdog
            Posted January 20, 2015 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

It also gets a mention in New Fangled Tango by Lena Horne

• Tstrummer
            Posted January 21, 2015 at 12:12 am | Permalink

And in the awful Bohemian Rhapsody, which is now stuck in my head for the duration of this pint of London Pride. Damn

3. dave hartley
    Posted January 20, 2015 at 11:59 am | Permalink

I think the explanation for 6d may have a surplus ‘but’, but given an extra t it would have an interesting surface reading.

Posted January 20, 2015 at 11:59 am | Permalink

The only clue that held me up was 18a. I never heard of it unless it’s a deformation of the French “treuil”.
    22a reminds me more of Bohemian rhapsody from Queen than Bob Dylan. Sorry MP.
    Funny how words reappear from one day to the next. In Sprocker’s rookie yesterday we had tenement also.
    Thanks to the setter and to Miffypops for the review.

Posted January 20, 2015 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Troy is derived, not from the French word treuil but from the French town Troyes.

• jean-luc cheval
        Posted January 20, 2015 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Thanks Gazza. I should have checked. I was thinking in the line of ropes and pulleys. Didn’t know the troy weights.

5. skempie
    Posted January 20, 2015 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

Almost a write-in today but still quite enjoyable. Very hard to pick a favourite though, possibly 14D as we just thumped India this morning.

6. fran
    Posted January 20, 2015 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

A relatively simple solve today . Thanks skempie was just off to watch the England v India cricket . I had avoided all possible sources of the result . V Small world

• skempie
      Posted January 20, 2015 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

Sorry http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_redface.gif still worth a watch though

• fran
      Posted January 20, 2015 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

No problem. I will enjoy the game in a relaxed mode .I was at old trafford on the first day we had the Indians 8 for 4 at one point , Anderson was in magnificent form.

7. Clarky
    Posted January 20, 2015 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable romp through this one today with a few grins on the way. Overall favourite 7d. */***
    Thanks to setter and MP.

8. Beaver
    Posted January 20, 2015 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

For some reason took ages to get last in 24,so will have to go for a **/***.Thanks to Miffypops for the pics, Mr Dylan is certainly in the Marmite category, critics views are poles apart-even at the same concert!

Posted January 20, 2015 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Thank you setter, good fun I thought and on the easier side – but with one or two tricky clues. Thanks MP for your review and hints. Having got 13d, I avoided the anagram trap at 19a. But I must confess that it did cross my mind before seeing the light !

10. Rick
    Posted January 20, 2015 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

A breeze indeed but for me also tired and predictable, particularly the four-letter answers. Sorry Mr. Ron but 1/1* is the best I can give it.

Posted January 20, 2015 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

No crossword is ever a complete write-in for me but this one came pretty close to it – I agree with 1*/3*.
    My last two answers were 10 and 24a – don’t know why but they just were.
    I did try to make an anagram out of 19a – oh dear – but on the plus side I did manage the football clue, the cricket clue and found both the lurkers so it’s not all bad.
    I liked 8 and 22a and 2 and 7d. My favourite has to be one of those.
    Thanks to Mr Ron and to Miffypops.
    It’s a bit nippy round here – going to have a go at the Toughie.

12. Ginny
    Posted January 20, 2015 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

Thank you very Setter and MiffyPops. Hope you had a good time. This certainly took a little perseverance and I rather inanely needed hints for 24a and 25a. The clues were all enjoyable. Favourites were 12a, reminding me of yesterday’s liqueur and 25a for a little diversion onto the painter’s bio on Wikipedia. Thanks!

13. Chris
    Posted January 20, 2015 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

I am so heartened that at least two other people took a while over 24a because it took me ages and when I’d done it I could see nothing hard about it; I thought it was just me. Enjoyable and fairly quick otherwise, and my honours go to 8a because having got half the letters on a plate the final three were much more difficult with such an ingenious use of ‘keen’. Many thanks to the setter and to Miffypops for the amusing review (and the chance to see that Derek Guyler (if I’m right wthout looking it up) appears not to have aged a bit).

14. Paso Doble
    Posted January 20, 2015 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable. Thanks to (pace) Setter and MiffyPops. Favourite clue was 14d. We did have to google 18a to make sure we weren’t making it up!

Posted January 20, 2015 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Mr Ron and to Miffypops for the review and hints. A very straightforward, but enjoyable puzzle. Raced right through it, then had a mental block on 24a. Couldn’t even get it from the hint, had to look it up, was last in. Favorite was 11a, was 2*/3* for me.

• Miffypops
      Posted January 20, 2015 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Probably because the word order meaning to book no longer exists. Now we have to pre order. I get fed up being asked to pre order things and say I just want to order my goods but they look at me gone out or tell me on the telephone that I have to pre order. Now see what you have done. Set me off on a rant. Perhaps the clue should have had a construct that told us to remove the word pre because as it stands the only fair solution in today’s mad world is BPREORDER.

• Framboise
      Posted January 20, 2015 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

Yes, it was an easy one today and most enjoyable to boot. Silly me got stuck on 24a and like Heno had to look it up! Many thanks to setter and MP. 1.5*/4* for me with 14d as favourite.

16. Vancouverbc
    Posted January 20, 2015 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

I found this harder to do than most I suspect. MP (thanks for the hints) was correct about bunging in and working out later. I did this for 14 and 20d and then the lights went on. Thanks also to the setter for an interesting challenge and 19a which had me scratching my head for ages.

17. Hanni
    Posted January 20, 2015 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

*/***

Not the toughest back page in history! In fact had I been able to read my own writing I would place it as one of the easiest, but I liked it.

So my hold up was reading the last letter of 22a as a ‘D’. Trust me it’s not easy trying to fit a reasonable answer in when you have a ‘D’. In fact I fancied a hearty drink when I realised my mistake. But as it was 10.30 in the morning I had a cup of tea.

Many thanks to the setter and to Miffypops for a very thorough blog.

• Miffypops
      Posted January 20, 2015 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

That’s why I like the iPad Hanni. I cannot read my own writing. Great weekend 607 metres up and snow past my knees. We got up we got down we had a beer or two and some soup. We then walked a few flat miles and went back up but not so high (still in the snow) we got back down and guess what was right there in front of us?

• Hanni
        Posted January 20, 2015 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

Cliffie Hodgson up to his thighs in snow, stood outside a pub, holding a tray of beer and singing the hits of Bob Dylan, Bellowhead and Bare Naked Ladies full belt?

Alright that was a guess but I stand by it. Was I close?

N.B…I don’t subscribe to the Telegraph so it makes it a little harder to do online.

• Miffypops
          Posted January 20, 2015 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

No. Cliffie is South African and knows nothing except Rugby. Actually it was a pub. I could have lain down and gone to sleep I was so knackered. Good long walk with danger and difficulty. Right up my street.

• Hanni
            Posted January 20, 2015 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

Difficult winter ascent/descent, decent craic, alcohol and that feeling that you just want to lie horizontal in the pub afterwards. Know it and love it. In fact I have a photo of me doing just that at a pub in Scotland.

I’m very impressed that you managed to stick to your non-meat diet and avoid the pork pies. Besides vegetarian hot beef baguettes are much nicer. I’m quite a big fan of vegetarian lobster and monkfish.

• Miffypops
              Posted January 20, 2015 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

The cows only ever ate grass therefore suitable for vegetarians.

• Hanni
                Posted January 20, 2015 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

I can’t argue with that logic.

However if you ever pre-order vegetarian game pie, make sure you ask for it to come with meat. Much nicer.

• Miffypops
                  Posted January 21, 2015 at 12:38 am | Permalink

I refuse to pre order

18. pommers
    Posted January 20, 2015 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

I’m in the 1* club but would go 4* for the fun. Just ‘cos it’s easy doesn’t make it less entertaining, just shorter.

Thanks to Mr Ron and MP.

• andy
      Posted January 20, 2015 at 10:37 pm | Permalink

Wrote 24a in without parsing until revisiting. As a total grid nerd am increasingly , maybe wrongly, noticing the amount of answers starting with an unchecked is on the up in DT, both back page and another place. Thanks MP and setter

• andy
      Posted January 20, 2015 at 10:42 pm | Permalink

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04xrl8t you and Pommette met the fragrant Arachne didn’t you? Derby? Link courtesy of Franco

19. Gwizz
    Posted January 20, 2015 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

I thought today’s crossword was very good. I completed it ‘sans’ hints in a reasonable time (for me) and 11a was my favourite clue simply because I initially missed the indicator and almost got myself into trouble.
    Thanks to the setter and MP for his revue.
    PS. Don’t forget ZZ Top re: Jean-luc at no.4

Posted January 20, 2015 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Great fun if not too taxing but I did get held up on the right hand side. Needed the hint for 4d then the others yielded. Never thought of he men!
    Best clue for me was 5a which I thought very clever but a mention in dispatches for 19a.
    Thx to all

Posted January 20, 2015 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

One star for me too, but stilll fun as pommers said, just shorter.14d was my favourite as well, with19a getting an honourable mention.Thanks Miffypops and setter.

22. Tony Triphook
    Posted January 20, 2015 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

The easiest I’ve seen for a long
    time.

23. Jane
    Posted January 20, 2015 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

Easy but delightful – all finished before Kitty’s breakfast time! Yes, I did toy with the idea of an anagram at 19a but decided the available vowels made it fairly unlikely – and yes, MP, I did decide BEFORE wasting any of the earth’s resources!
    9d was last in because I always think of boats first when ‘on board’ comes up.
    22a made me smile – it’s such a lovely word, but I was rather hoping for a bit of Procul Harem with the review (should have known better!).
    Hard to choose a favourite, could be any one of 17a, 2,4 and 7d.
    1*/4* for me with many thanks to Mr. Ron and to Mifypops – who has so far remained rather quiet re: the rugby match. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

• Miffypops
      Posted January 20, 2015 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

Lots of respect to both Wharfedale and also to Coventry for a great game which could have gone either way. Fantastic hosting by Wharfedale RFUC. Wonderful beer (Lots of it) As a non meat eater I left the hot pork pie and peas alone and stuck with the beef, gravy and mustard baguettes. The night in The Forresters was pretty good too with singing and joke telling. How we did the big snowy walk on Sunday I don’t understand. Great weekend which really began with a friends car skidding into a ditch before Fridays walk. I knew it would be messy. It was messy. Cinderford’s at home this Saturday. Bring it on

• Kitty
      Posted January 20, 2015 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

How do you know what my breakfast time is Jane? Still, I have no doubt that your crossword was done and dusted well before I opened my bleary eyes this morni today http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif.

• Jane
        Posted January 20, 2015 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

Sounds as though you’re really making the most of this fortnight! As for your breakfast time – it was just a wild guess, but I was ‘done & dusted’ by 8.30 and thought – bet Kitty hasn’t had her breakfast yet. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

• Hanni
        Posted January 20, 2015 at 9:25 pm | Permalink

It sounds like you two are having a brilliant time. :-)

24. Collywobbles
    Posted January 20, 2015 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

Usual Rufus enjoyable puzzle and quite easy but, as we have said before, that does not detract from the enjoyment – Thank you Rufus. Because of this I did not need to use the hints MP but one or two references were necessary for confirmation for which thanks MP

Posted January 20, 2015 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

Collywobs – Rufus? You just could have stolen my thunder! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cry.gif

• Collywobbles
        Posted January 21, 2015 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Apologies, I could have sworn it was a Rufus puzzle. I must be losing it at last

• Miffypops
      Posted January 20, 2015 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

Rufus yesterday. Mr Ron today. The reviewers are mixed up. The 2ks are missing tomorrow too.

25. Kitty
    Posted January 20, 2015 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

This was a perfect crossword for a hangover. Just enough challenge for a diversion and gently enjoyable. No stand out favourites but I liked 7d and several of the acrosses: 5a, 8a and 19a … and 11a’s lots of bones generated a chuckle, though I can’t imagine why http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cool.gif.

I learnt a new word in 23d. Well, I say learnt, but suspect that without some reinforcement it may be soon forgotten.

2d and 14d took longer than they should have, but were worth the time. We did cave and look at the hint for 24a though – grr!

Thanks to the setter and MP for the entertaining review.

Posted January 20, 2015 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

I too am in the 1*/3* club today which was convenient as I was out until this evening. The Japanese drama was new to me and I’ll take MP’s advice and try and remember it for the future.

Many thanks to Mr Ron and to MP.

Posted January 20, 2015 at 11:17 pm | Permalink

Yes, 1*/3* is about right. I liked 14d – reminded me of nicer weather, white flannels and the sound of willow on leather. Thanks to Mr Ron, and Miffypops.

28. Catnap
    Posted January 21, 2015 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

This was a fun puzzle, I thought. Like several others, 24a took me quite a while to get. I came adrift on two clues, though.Stupidly, I took the definition in 14a to be ‘Hear about’ when I noticed ‘told’ actually lurks in the clue. No wonder I couldn’t understand what ‘system of weights’ was doing there.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_redface.gif That’s not all. I had a total mental blank re 14d. I knew the ‘deliveries’ were related to cricket, but didn’t know how. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_redface.gif Oh dear! What blunders! I cheer myself up by saying I had followed the parsing of the remainder of the clues correctly.

Many thanks to the setter and to Miffypops for a delightful review.

• Catnap
      Posted January 21, 2015 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

Sorry, I meant 18a (not 14a which doesn’t exist).