Hints and tips by 2Kiwis

BD Rating – Difficulty *** – Enjoyment ****

We have got to the end of what has been a busy time for us. The last of our visitors has been delivered to the railway station. “The Book” has been successfully launched. (Check out the link at the end of the post if more detail is required.) All done in time to let us enjoy this clever, slightly tricky puzzle from Jay.

Please leave a comment telling us what you think of today’s puzzle.

1a     Not at all amused, reply angrily dismissing daughter (2,8)
MY PLEASURE : Anagram (angrily) of AMUSE(d) REPLY with d(aughter) removed. What you might reply to someone saying thank you.

6a     Measure of a ruler‘s progress? (4)
INCH : The measure that we used to see on rulers before they went metric. It can also mean to move ahead slowly.

9a     Civilisation finds remedy imprisoning Unionist officer (7)
CULTURE : A four letter word for a remedy encloses (U)nionist and an abbreviation for a junior officer.

10a     The charms of West Africa must include Italian cocktails (7)
MOJITOS : A word for charms or talismans from West Africa includes the two letter abbreviation for Italian.
images

12a     Earth’s revised opinion? (6,2,5)
CHANGE OF HEART : A reverse anagram, the first two words of the answer tell you what to do with the third word to give you EARTH.

14a     New honesty boxes left in a sneaky way (2,3,3)
ON THE SLY : Anagram (new) of HONESTY includes (boxes) (L)eft.

15a     Emphasise a little money in Europe captures carbon (6)
ACCENT : A small money unit in Europe or USA or New Zealand etc with (C)arbon included.

17a     Edge that projects, initially from different angle (6)
FLANGE : The first letter (initially) of from followed by an anagram (different) of ANGLE.
images

19a     Almost get wind of a venue for carnival setting (8)
SCENARIO : Take a word to get wind of as a tracking animal might do, remove the last letter and add the South American city famous for its carnival.

21a     Rather alert, possibly grabbing gold eventually (6,2,5)
SOONER OR LATER : A synonym for rather, or would prefer to, then the heraldic notation for gold and an anagram (possibly ) of ALERT.

24a     Worker engaged in heart-to-heart is antagonistic (7)
ARTISAN : The answer is hidden in the clue.

25a     Round of applause given to fish expert (3,4)
DAB HAND : A type of flatfish found mostly in cryptic crosswords is followed by a word for a round of applause.

26a     Positive response by European viewers (4)
EYES : (E)uropean and then the common short positive response word.
images

27a     Annoys son unloading lorry for no reason (10)
NEEDLESSLY : A seven letter word that means annoys, (S)on and the first and last letters (unloading) of lorry.

1d     Illegal scheme set up to get coats (4)
MACS : Reverse (set up) a word for an illegal scheme.

2d     European hypocrisy dismissing new mammal (7)
POLECAT : A citizen of a specific European country and then a word for hypocrisy with (N)ew removed from it.
images

3d     Hazard of university? (8,5)
EDUCATED GUESS : A cryptic definition of what a reasoned opinion by a well informed person might be.

4d     One mesmerises subjects ultimately leaving in a confused state (8)
SVENGALI : Start with the last letter (ultimately) of subjects, and then an anagram (in a confused state) of LEAVING.
6a00d83452366769e200e54f35badb8833-800wi

5d     Casanova‘s city love (5)
ROMEO : Italian city and the tennis score love.

7d     Compound charge applied to idiot (7)
NITRATE : A three letter synonym for idiot and then a word for charge.

8d     Indecision of the man with one in position (10)
HESITATION : Male two letter personal pronoun, then Roman numeral 1 included in a word for a position in life.

11d     Policeman chasing Gospel artist (4,9)
JOHN CONSTABLE : Start with the fourth of the New Testament gospels and then a bobby that you used to see walking the beat.
imgres

13d     Seize dissident factions in church (10)
CONFISCATE : An anagram (dissident) of FACTIONS inside the two letter abbreviation for the Anglican church.

16d     Sort of weather front Dec could set right (8)
OCCLUDED : An anagram (set right) of DEC COULD.
images

18d     Trouble with private English child under one’s wing (7)
ADOPTEE : Three letter word for trouble, three letter abbreviation for private and (E)nglish.

20d     Has another look at sentence concerning engineers and adverts (7)
REREADS : Three abbreviations strung together 2,2,3.

22d    Weight when university’s given acceptance? (5)
OUNCE : A synonym for ‘when’ has (U)niversity  inside.

23d     Starts to eat and drink, getting you nervous (4)
EDGY : First letters of four words in the clue.

Favourite for us is the one we started with, 1a.
Here is the link that we promised in the heading.  http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/63582866/alice-may-parkinson-a-woman-wronged

Today’s Quickie pun  Moth + Erin + Lore = Mother-in-law

1. dutch
    Posted December 17, 2014 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Straightforward and very enjoyable puzzle today. Worked top down and last one in was 27a, which I liked because of “unloading lorry”

other favourites are 1a, 10a (cocktail), 26a and 23d, with many other elegant clues.

Many thanks Jay and 2 Kiwis, and congratulations on the book!

Posted December 17, 2014 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Very hard today, nearly gave up but persistence paid off in the end. One lovely clue I thought in 19a but needed 2kiwis explanation for another 8 answers! Had a week of getting the answer from part of the clue so many thanks to the Bloggers.
    Despite the difficulty i thought it was very enjoyable so Thx to the setter.
    Playing golf all day tomorrow so won’t be tempted to even look at my nemesis offering.

Posted December 17, 2014 at 11:31 am | Permalink

I have spent the last three hours wondering whether to recommend today’s Toughie to you. You should be able to do most of it so why not have a go and see how far you get.

• pommers
        Posted December 17, 2014 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

The Toughie is well worth a look but I recommend the wearing of the “Slightly Mad Hat”.

• Kitty
          Posted December 17, 2014 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

Isn’t that hat the one generally worn around here?

• Brian
        Posted December 17, 2014 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Got just over halfway but now stuck! Think I need a cup of tea to get the grey matter working again. Very enjoyable though.

Posted December 17, 2014 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

I don’t think that tomorrow will be your nemesis, Brian. He was last Thursday and, usually, does alternate weeks.

• Hanni
      Posted December 17, 2014 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

The Toughie is definitely worth a ponder today Brian. I still have one to go and then to finish Rookie corner before the school play.

3. bifield
    Posted December 17, 2014 at 11:36 am | Permalink

Definitely found this tricky today. Needed the hints to explain some of my answers but overall found it quite enjoyablt. Thanks to Jay And 2Kiwis for the hints.

Posted December 17, 2014 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Thank you Jay, enjoyable puzzle again and thanks to 2 Kiwis for your review and hints. Back to Christmas Markets in Manchester now !

5. XCoder
    Posted December 17, 2014 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Not easy but quite enjoyable. Whilst the construction of 7d is obvious I have a problem with the clue being simply compound. There are a very large number of compounds to choose from and I’m not sure there’s anything in the clue which indicates any characteristic of this one. 10a possibly my favourite. My rating 2/3

6. overtaxed
    Posted December 17, 2014 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Definitely into *** territory for me. Rt hand slotted in but some of the left hand side gave considerable challenge. Some clever clues made this a good challenge. Liked 12a and 19a. Last one in was 18d but when the penny dropped, I’m not sure why.
    Thanks to Jay and 2 Kiwis, though didn’t need the hints today.

7. skempie
    Posted December 17, 2014 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

Sorry to be a bit different to one and all, but I found this almost a write-in. It took a bit longer than it should have due to me skipping a clue and putting 25A in 24A’s gap D’Oh. Didn’t really help that I’m finding it a bit hard to write since I managed to catch a bowl slipping of the draining board while holding a glass resulting in an awful lot of plasters covering one hand – the perils of spending my youthful summers playing wicket-keeper.

Favourite today is 3D – very clever.

Off now to attemp wrapping presents and getting stuff back in loft – could be interesting one-handed

Posted December 17, 2014 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

Oh dear, that sounds nasty – as one one handed person to another I sympathise. I grabbed the handle of a pan which had been out of a hot oven for only a few minutes and now have a massive blister right in the middle of my hand – luckily it is at least the left one.

• Expat Chris
      Posted December 17, 2014 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

One-handedness has hit my house, too. Mr. Expat fractured his left wrist almost two weeks ago…and he’s a lefty!

Posted December 17, 2014 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Please, all of you, be more careful and watch what you’re doing. We can’t handle any more one-handedness before Christmas!

8. Beaver
    Posted December 17, 2014 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

On my wavelength today, enjoyable with a wide range of clues, but none as good as yesterdays 1A, a**/*** for me. Liked 4d and remembered Trilby, also 19a.Just finishing off the Christmas cards as I heard it was the last posting day!

Posted December 17, 2014 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

second class today, first class Saturday.

Posted December 17, 2014 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Anyone else laugh out loud at the Matt cartoon today – placed as it was in the middle of an article about The First Signs of Life on Mars?

Posted December 17, 2014 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

• Hilary
      Posted December 17, 2014 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

Definitely, Matt has a magic way of lifting me and is the first thing I look at when I pick the paper up from the mat.

Posted December 17, 2014 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

I agree that this was a bit tricky in places so 3* difficulty and 4* for enjoyment from me too.
    The hidden answer in 24a wasn’t my last one in today – it was my second to last! Oh dear! 3d was my last one by which time I had alternate letters in.
    I was also pretty slow with 21a and 16d – could see it was an anagram and it still took ages.
    I liked 10 and 14a and 4 and 16d. My favourite was 3d.
    With thanks to Jay and the Kiwis, and congratulations not only on the book launch but also the ability to combine that and multiple visitors and doing the hints. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

Posted December 17, 2014 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Jay for another great puzzle. Happy Christmas to you and the 2Kiwis too.

12. Michael
    Posted December 17, 2014 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

I found this pretty tricky today and had to resort to the blog to finish it, this always takes the enjoyment out of it for me but hey-ho – tomorrow is another day!

Onward and upward – possibly! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif

13. Hanni
    Posted December 17, 2014 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

**/****

Please Sir, I want some more?

I loved that. It wasn’t exactly a write in so it gave a few challenges.

17a…I pencilled in ‘Fringe’. Why? Who knows. The anagram was clearly there but it certainly caused a bit of confusion for 18d. Got there in the end with lots of smiles on the way.

Favourite clue today in 1a with 27a getting a thumbs up.

Many thanks to Jay for a lovely puzzle and to the 2Kiwis for a fantastic blog. Congratulations on the book…what a fascinating story.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

I am off later to see youngish daughter in the school Christmas production of Scrooge. Given the last few school things we’ve seen I expect this one to be just as hilarious. There is a song that involves burgers in a cellar.

Dickens at his best.

14. Tony
    Posted December 17, 2014 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

On first read I confidently put in ‘learning curve’ for 3d which, for some strange reason, added something to the general challenge of the remainder of the puzzle. I’ve never had a 10a – but from the picture, it does look tempting! Once I had extricated myself from my initial disaster, I found this a very enjoyable puzzle. Thanks to all.

15. Gwizz
    Posted December 17, 2014 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

It’s probably a good thing that I found this puzzle to be almost a write in. It means I have less of an excuse not to go out and do some outstanding Xmas shopping. Some nice clues involved of which 1a was my favourite.
    Thanks to Jay and the 2Kiwis.

Posted December 17, 2014 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

No hold-ups for me at all, which is a good thing since I have a busy day ahead. Favorite is 12A. Thanks to Jay and the 2Kiwis.

• Expat Chris
      Posted December 17, 2014 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

And many congratulations to KiwiCarol on the book!

17. SheilaP
    Posted December 17, 2014 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

Lovely puzzle today, just my cup of tea. I like lots of two and three word answers, and there were quite a few of those so thank you to the Wednesday setter and to the 2Kiwis. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

18. fran
    Posted December 17, 2014 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

18d last in but missed 24a initially , once that was sorted it was fine . Fav 27a but some amusing clues . e.g.3d . Sometimes feel I have a time lock on my brain which normally releases around 10.30 am **/*** Thanks 2Kiwis

19. pommers
    Posted December 17, 2014 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

The usual Wednesday wizardry but possibly with a few more anagrams than usual from Jay. **/**** from us with 1a clear favourite, or perhaps 3d?

Thanks to Jay and the Kiwis and congrats on the book.

20. George
    Posted December 17, 2014 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

Straightforward enough with some very good clues – 3d, 11d – getting to be more knowledgeable about cocktails too lately – I had to Google this one as I had never heard of it!

So 2*/4* rating from me.

21. Miffypops
    Posted December 17, 2014 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

I managed to spell the cocktail at 10ac with an H instead of a J right at the start. When I got to look at 11d I bunged in Hugh Constable which seemed Ok to me but scuppered 10ac. Soon sorted and it was a good fun puzzle. Ta to jay and Ta to the 2ks. Well done with the book. I hope it sells well.

22. Graham Wall
    Posted December 17, 2014 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

Really enjoyed the offering today but it was a bit of a plod. My misspelling the answer to a couple of the clues did not help. Had to revert to the blog for reassurance on two of my answers. I would rate this 3.5/4 My thanks to 2Kiwis for the review.

Posted December 17, 2014 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

It took me ages to get into this today, but what a super puzzle once I got going!
    I tried really hard to get “voodoo” somehow into 10a, but that is Caribbean obeah, however, it probably originated in West Africa, I’ll have to get my google button out.
    Loved 1a, but I am settling on 12a as my fave; just a three-word clue, how neat.
    Good luck with the book Kiwi, my admiration for you is boundless.
    Thanks to Jay and 2Kiwis for the review.

24. raymondo
    Posted December 17, 2014 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Now this is why I gave this silly pastime up…..not a great day for me.

25. Irene
    Posted December 17, 2014 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

This is the first Wednesday puzzle I’ve needed help with in a long time – 18d had me completely stumped. Thanks for the hint!

• raymondo
      Posted December 18, 2014 at 6:16 am | Permalink

I was completely at sea with 18d Irene…..as I was with rather to many of this one. Entirely missed the point of 12a but heyho ……will no doubt attempt todays with renewed optimism.

• raymondo
      Posted December 18, 2014 at 6:19 am | Permalink

I was completely at sea with 18d Irene…..as I was with rather to man of this one. Entirely missed the point of 12a but heyho ……will no doubt attempt todays with renewed optimism.

26. Angel
    Posted December 17, 2014 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Another relatively easy ride but a few hiccups along the way. Having missed the anagram indicator I, like Hanni, had fringe for 17a which made life difficult in 18d. Thanks Jay and the 2 Kiwis (good luck with the book). Somehow 25a tickled me. ***/***. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

Posted December 17, 2014 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Good morning everyone. One of is now up to see what you are all saying on the blog while Carol is still in bed sipping a cup of tea. Maybe our life will get back to normal again now, but probably not as we will be having a total family invasion for Christmas. Ah well, at least we can’t complain that life is boring!
    Cheers.

Posted December 17, 2014 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

Have a wonderful Christmas. One of the joys is the gathering of the closest and dearest, and it sounds like you have it all planned. I have no family but I do have very close friends and I get included in the loving, for which I am always grateful!

• Hanni
      Posted December 17, 2014 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

Forgot to add that I hope you both have a wonderful Christmas and a great 2015. Thank you for all your blogs. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif

28. JonP
    Posted December 17, 2014 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

Straightforward and highly enjoyable (as usual) puzzle from Jay. Thanks to the 2Kiwis and Jay **/****

29. Jane
    Posted December 17, 2014 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

Think I liked the two and three-word answers the most – 1&14a in particular. Needed the 2K’s review to justify a couple of answers, both of which I should have been able to work out for myself!

Thanks to Jay for an enjoyable puzzle and to 2K’s for finding the energy to write the review despite having what sounds like a very busy time.

30. Dave B
    Posted December 17, 2014 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable and not too taxing. Got 21a though couldn’t figure why for the first word. Favorites were 12a and 25a

31. Kitty
    Posted December 17, 2014 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

Jay never disappoints! A breeze in the East, but I made a bit of a meal out of the West. It was a tasty meal though :).

Even though I couldn’t parse it, I stupidly thought 18d was protege, so 17a and 24a were held up until I’d sorted that out. Especially as I wasted time trying to fit an ant into 24a http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_rolleyes.gif. I could attribute that to my doziness or the elusiveness of the lurker, but instead I’m going to blame it on the appearance of Dec (16d).

I stared blankly for a while at a grid with four remaining: 3 & 4d and 1 & 9a. Then I realised I’d blithely put 1d in as 1u. Turning that on its head made 9a easy, then I finally twigged 3d. So my last two in were both anagrams – argh! I hate missing anagrams and it’s happening more and more…

Favourite has to be 1a because it describes the crossword as a whole and the definition was neatly hidden. 27a is a close runner-up. Several others I could mention too. 7d is on the podium for making me smile, and now that I’m used to reverse clues, I very much liked 12a.

Many thanks and Merry Christmas to Jay and the 2Ks. Congrats too on the book, Carol – it does sound interesting. Glad that things turned out okay for her in the end.

Posted December 17, 2014 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

Having completely missed the hidden bit of 24a, just for a change, and with A blank T at the beginning I was also convinced that the worker was an ant . . . .

• Kitty
        Posted December 17, 2014 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

The annoying thing is that if I’d put in that ant at the beginning, I might not have been so silly with 18d and maybe wouldn’t have got into such a mess with those two clues. It took me ages to spot the hidden answer, but in my defence, it’s only a couple of hyphens away from having two redundant words – very sneaky!

• Miffypops
          Posted December 17, 2014 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

I too had 1up instead of 1down

32. Vancouverbc
    Posted December 17, 2014 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable puzzle probably because I didn’t struggle too much. A **/**** for me. Thanks to the setter and the 2Ks for an enjoyable but not needed set of hints. Its been a very lazy start to the day so time to shift gears.

33. Chris
    Posted December 17, 2014 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable and several good clues. My last one in was 24a as I totally failed to spot the hidden word until all the checking letters were there. 2*/4* .
    Many thanks to 2K and Jay

Posted December 17, 2014 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

Kiwi Carol here. I’m out of bed now and reading the blog. Thank you everyone for your kind comments. The book is dear to my hearthttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_mail.gif

Posted December 17, 2014 at 11:10 pm | Permalink

And so it should be – well done to you, Kiwi Carol, and a big http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif and a little http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif too.

• Ginny
      Posted December 19, 2014 at 11:43 am | Permalink

And a belated but sincere congratulations from me to on your great book. I enjoyed reading the article very much. Thank you for all your help on the blog!

• 2Kiwis
        Posted December 19, 2014 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

Thank you Ginny, that is very much appreciated Kiwi Carol http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

Posted December 17, 2014 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

Definitely tricky, which was just as well as it passed the time, along with the toughie, while mother -sitting.She did the quick. I liked 1a, 21a and 3d in particular. Thanks Jay and the Kiwis.

36. Hilary
    Posted December 17, 2014 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

Not surprising but I did struggle, requiring a fair number of 3ds and a few 12as but with just a small amount of help from the supertoy I did complete before reading the 2Kiwis masterly write-up. Thanks also to Jay for a nice cerebral work out. One day I will manage to finish a whole crossword without any help. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-phew.gif. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-phew.gif

Posted December 17, 2014 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

Very late on parade day, but thankfully I hit the right wavelength from the word go and polished it off quickly. Nevertheless I thought it was superbly enjoyable, so my rating is 1*/4*.

My three top clues were 1a, 12a & 3d but I can’t choose between them.

Many thanks to Jay and to the 2Kiwis.

Posted December 17, 2014 at 11:12 pm | Permalink

. . . sneaky, or what?

38. F1lbertfox
    Posted December 17, 2014 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

I always look forward to Jay’s crossword puzzles and today’s offering was another very enjoyable solve. Having spent this morning being entertained by not one but two Christmas plays at the school where my two older grand-children attend and other ‘business’ this afternoon, I didn’t get started on 27675 until quite late. Some lovely clues today, with 12 & 21 across and 3 & 18 down among my favourites. Having read some other comments I think I’ll have a look at the Toughie next. Thanks Jay and thanks also for your efforts 2Ks, not that I needed any hints, but your ‘take’ on a puzzle is always well worth a read. :-)

• Hanni
      Posted December 17, 2014 at 9:53 pm | Permalink

Hope the children’s plays went well! :-)

• F1lbertfox
        Posted December 18, 2014 at 11:58 am | Permalink

Both were stars, Hanni, especially the younger one – he sang a duet which ended up as largely a solo, whilst the other child mostly yawned through the song, lol. No one else in our family has the nerve to sing in front of an audience, so we’re all very proud of him – he’s only seven – aaaaaaaaaaaaah ;-)

39. ruthie
    Posted December 17, 2014 at 10:00 pm | Permalink

Only the right side of my brain was working today – thanks for the hints!http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

Posted December 17, 2014 at 11:33 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Jay and to the 2 Kiwis for the review and hints. A very enjoyable puzzle, some really difficult clues. Managed it in the end. Favourite was 17a. Major problems caused by putting in “aileron” for 18d, luckily I realised my error and then managed to proceed. Last in was 10a. Was 3*/4* for me.

41. Tstrummer
    Posted December 18, 2014 at 1:33 am | Permalink

Great stuff from Jay to round off a hard day, my nose firmly to the grindstone. A good puzzle helps me to cast off the cares before bedtime (beer helps, too) and this was good puzzle. Many thanks to Jay and K-squared for another exemplary blog. Must now check the link to see what all this book business is about. 2*/4*

Posted December 18, 2014 at 11:40 pm | Permalink

Clipoty clop clipoty clop. Slowly catching up with the back page.
    Only got the first paper on Wednesday. Distribution problems again. And I have been concentrating on the toughie.
    This one was quite fun with some great clues.
    I also wish our 2kiwis a lovely Christmas and look forward to 2015.
    Thanks to Jay .

• 2Kiwis
      Posted December 19, 2014 at 12:03 am | Permalink

Thank you Jean-Luc and Joyeux Noel to you too.