Prize Puzzle – November 2014

Monthly Prize Puzzle No 30 (November 2014)

Missing Link by Prolixic

+ – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

Why not have a go at our latest Monthly Prize Puzzle?

The winner will receive their choice of any of the Telegraph Crossword Books published by Hamlyn.

Please note that, due to punitive postal charges, while the competition is open to all, the prize is only available to UK solvers.

A review will follow after the closing date (15th November 2014).

The puzzle is available by clicking on the above grid.

I’ve left this post open for comments, but if you don’t want your comment to be deleted then avoid asking for or giving help with the clues.

1. Pegasus
    Posted November 1, 2014 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable puzzle, favourites were 1d 4d and 28a thanks to Prolixic.

Posted November 1, 2014 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

I found the theme early, which helped to get the rest of the seven in soon after, then went on the fill in the grid. I struggled with a few (1A, 6D and the wicked little 15A ) but I’m stuck on 7A. I know I don’t need it to submit my answer, but I would like to have a complete grid!

I’m pretty sure I have the missing link, but before I submit my entry, I have a question. I’m not eligible for the prize, so it would only be for HAG, but if I were by some miracle to be first out of the hat, would there be a second drawing or would the prize be shelved for the next puzzle?

3. KiwiColin
    Posted November 2, 2014 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

A day later than usual getting on to this one. Like Expat Chris, I had sorted out the probable answer well before I had filled the whole grid but did want to have the whole thing sorted out before submitting an entry. Have now got to that point apart from the pesky 7a. Have decided to submit anyway and keep ruminating on it. Good fun.
    Thanks Prolixic.

• KiwiColin
      Posted November 2, 2014 at 11:36 pm | Permalink

A walk around the beach and estuary, and inspiration came for the parsing of 7a. Very clever.

• Jane
        Posted November 3, 2014 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Glad to hear that inspiration has come to someone! Still driving me mad at this end – maybe I should try a walk along the beach?

4. Jane
    Posted November 2, 2014 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

Amazingly, I think I’ve done it! Well, apart from being able to justify ANY answer for 7a. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif
    Can someone tell me what the next step is to try for the MPP prize?
    I did try FAQ – honestly.

Posted November 2, 2014 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

Scroll down to the bottom on the page containing the grid, fill in all the fields and press send.

• Posted November 2, 2014 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

“Solvers should enter just their solution in the answer box below.”

Surely you don’t expect me to explain that in the FAQ?

• Jane
      Posted November 2, 2014 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

Oh dear – I just knew it would turn out to be something really simple. Thanks for your patience, gazza.

BD – yet again, I have to apologise. One day I’ll get everything sorted out. For now, I’m just extremely grateful that this site has improved my crossword solving abilities beyond my wildest dreams.

5. Beet
    Posted November 4, 2014 at 9:53 pm | Permalink

Thanks Prolixic, my favourite was 25d, 7d was a thinker but got there in the end, I can’t parse 20d, so I’ll check back in when you publish the answers. I’ m not entirely sure I prevented the ipad from autocorrecting my answer so apologies if it’s gobbledygook.

Posted November 9, 2014 at 11:04 am | Permalink

Well. This is as far as I can go. First time I try to solve one of these prize puzzles as I am not very often in front of a real computer. As usual I am left with only the odd letter missing here and there. Very much enjoyed it and now I am going to have a try at one of Gazza’s puzzle which I downloaded at the same time. I had a quick read of the clues and didn’t understand anything yet. Sure it will come to me. Thanks to prolixic for this very regal puzzle.