DT 27618 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 27618 (Hints)

There’s still time to enter the October Monthly Prize Puzzle.

Some hints follow.

1a    Curt comedian abandoned without popular support (12)
An anagram (abandoned) of CURT COMEDIAN

9a    Woman who’s left Nazi without resentment (7)
This woman who is left a legacy is derived by putting the surname of the last Nazi prisoner in Spandau around some resentment

10a    Fashionable costumier, poet is dressed by me (7)
Put an archaic word for a poet inside (dressed by) ME

12a    Had too much of composer in regressive act (7)
Put an Italian composer inside the reversal (regressive) a two-letter verb meaning to act

13a    Surrealist shows seabirds with head on wrong end (5)
Start with some seabirds and move the initial letter (head) to the other (wrong) end

16a    Ban girl coming out with topless dress (9)
A girl making her first appearance in society followed by a dress or article of clothing without its initial letter (topless)

23a    Saddle hurtful with one aboard little horse endlessly (7)
An adjective meaning hurtful or bad and I (one) inside (aboard) most of (endlessly) a young (little) horse

Don’t if you are prudish!

25a    Boy keeps tumbling down mountain (7)
Put a boy around an anagram (tumbling) of DOWN

26a    Bribe with £500 someone to fix things (6,6)
A verb meaning to bribe followed by the slang term for £500 gives this colloquial term for a mechanic (someone to fix things)

1d    Northern Ireland company aboard vessel finding mythical beast (7)
Put the abbreviations for N[orthern) I(reland) and CO(mpany) inside a vessel used to hold ashes

2d    Least shallow river — nuisance going under (7)
The Jolly Miller’s river followed by a nuisance – “There was a Jolly Miller once; lived on the River …”

5d    Mini maybe parked by a daughter’s home (7)
The kind of garment of which a mini is an example (maybe) preceded (parked) by the A from the clue and D(aughter)

6d    One shoddily rinsed one’s privy (7)
I (one) followed by an anagram (shoddily) of RINSED gives someone who is privy to exclusive information

7d    MI5 after tender meat dishes (9,4)
Those working for MI5 preceded by (after) a person who tends his flock

19d    Steer three characters from Istanbul to join Yale, say (7)
The final three letters of [Istan]BUL followed by a product famously manufactured by Yale, among others

20d    Half of them drily cooked, as French hens appear at Christmas? (7)
The first half of TH[em] followed by an anagram (cooked) of DRILY

22d    Kid persuaded by speech (5)
This type of leather sounds like (by speech) a verb meaning persuaded or influenced
The Crossword Club is now open.

The Quick crossword pun: bake+alight=Bakelite®

1. George
    Posted October 11, 2014 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Garg – as a teenager on a motor cycle many years ago, I remember even in thick clothing how cold it could be on UK roads – good luck to that pair – sure looks a bit nippy to me!

A good puzzle today- a new word for me in 10a which is always good! Other than that no problems but not a write in by any means.

2*/4* by me.

2. Angel
    Posted October 11, 2014 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

Saturday puzzles are more fun these days. Thanks Mr. Ron and BD. No real problems except 22d and can’t now believe I needed help. ***/***. Cool and damp in W. Sussex so will warm up by making some Apple Chilli Chutney!

Posted October 11, 2014 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

2*/2*. I found this a bit dull and uninspiring today. Thanks to setter and to BD.

Posted October 11, 2014 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed this but started off thinking that, for the third day in a row, I was going to have trouble.
    Once I got going everything sorted itself out without too many problems.
    Apart from 1a I was slow with the long answers round the outside. I know that we’ve had 26a before but that was my last answer and I didn’t know the first bit of 8d.
    I liked 14 and 25a and 3 and 15d. My favourite, even though it’s the kind of clue I often miss, was 18d.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and BD.

• Jane
      Posted October 11, 2014 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

Hi Kath, so pleased to read that you had a better time with this one. Haven’t tried it but am off to start the NTSPP soon. In case you missed it – my late post last night was by way of an apology. Put it this way – if you’ve finished counting the marbles, please could I borrow some? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

Posted October 11, 2014 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Thanks – yes, much better today. No apologies needed but I don’t think I have enough spare marbles to be throwing them around! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif
        Have fun with the NTSPP.

5. SheilaP
    Posted October 11, 2014 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Really enjoyable offering today, for us,much easier than yesterday, though by no means a write in. We managed to get a good start and with minimal help, finished. There’s nothing like telling people not to do something to make sure that it’s the very first thing they do, see 23a. I can’t see anyone on this site minding very much about that picture though, you would have to be very easily offended to mind. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

6. SheilaP
    Posted October 11, 2014 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

Sorry, forgot to thank the setter and BD, again.

7. Kevin
    Posted October 11, 2014 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

at least she is wearing a crash helmet

Posted October 11, 2014 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Was it just me or did anyone else find this just plain poor?
    A lot of not very well constructed clues such as 10a, 12a, 5d, 6d and 22d. No fav today.
    Even when finished I can’t say I enjoyed it much. For me it was ***/*.
    Never mind, it’s been a good week for crosswords up until today.
    Thx for the hints.

Posted October 11, 2014 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

PS – I’ve never liked the big red scary notice that jumps out on Prize Crossword days – I like him even less now that he leaps about. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

• Heno
      Posted October 11, 2014 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

I’m just glad it goes. Before I used to have to click it many times to get rid of it, when using my phone.

• Jane
      Posted October 11, 2014 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Thank goodness you said that – thought it was my computer screen acting up – AGAIN.

• Hrothgar
      Posted October 11, 2014 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

Made me jump!
      Thought I’d done something wrong.
      But, I imagine it has the desired effect.

Posted October 11, 2014 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and to Big Dave for the hints. A very nice puzzle, with some clues that made me smile. Favourites were 13a&26a. Was 2*/3* for me.

Posted October 11, 2014 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

Bring on the fountain pens and free notepads. Not a very challenging puzzle. Although some clues were well written. Faves were 15d, 17d and 23a. And a few others. 20d is a bit early for the season. It’s still summer down in Hyères, despite a short thunderstorm early this morning (the tail end of a cévenol episode), everybody is eating alfresco. Thanks to the setter and BD for the review.

12. Caravaggio
    Posted October 11, 2014 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

I was late starting today’s puzzle and I agree with Rabbit Dave who used the word ‘uninspiring’ because there were no ‘Eureka!’ moments again… It would have been warm enough to play cricket in South Cheshire today, although it’s clouded over at the moment – ideal conditions for swing bowlers.

13. Sarah
    Posted October 11, 2014 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Couldn’t really get started without resorting to a few hints. Obviously the brain is still asleep as I can’t believe some of the ones I’ve missed! Have saved the Bletchley one to do this w/e. Hope it’s more inspiring. Thanks to BD for the help today

Posted October 11, 2014 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

I needed the hints to figure out they “why” of 13a and the answer to 22d, otherwise, pretty straightforward for me. I like it, maybe not exhilarating but certainly not uninspiring. I liked 7d, and it’s my fave. Thanks to setter and to BD for the review.

15. F1lbertfox
    Posted October 11, 2014 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

Oh IMHO it wasn’t a bad puzzle at all. Some fun clues/answers providing a few chuckles, especially so with 7 & 22 down and 12 &13 across. Agreed it wasn’t overly mind bending, but for a Saturday with heaps of other stuff to do, who needs to be tied to a crossword puzzle for hours? Needed no hints, except to ask ‘Mrs Filbert’ what the slang for £500 was, as I couldn’t remember. Thanks to the setter, I enjoyed the solve. Now to attempt the General Knowledge crossword – that one’s a ‘teamwork’ puzzle which we have never finished without a cheat or three ;-)

Posted October 11, 2014 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Thank you setter, about my level of difficulty and so more fun than yesterday’s. Thanks for the hints BD – always important to check my answers ! Your 23a photo looks like one from Scchua’s portfolio of tasteful images http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif

17. Hilary
    Posted October 11, 2014 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

I am sorry for those of you who moaned today but I had a super time, just about my level with one or two giggles and a big pat on the back when I dredged one answer out of my antique memory. Off to do GK with assistance from Google.

Posted October 11, 2014 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

Thanks Mr Ron for a pleasant puzzle, and Big Dave for the associated entertainment (and l’m glad I’m not prudish). I would score this at about 3*/3*, and 22d is my favourite.

Posted October 11, 2014 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

I thought it some interesting clues but mostly I just guessed , which doesn’t give quite as much fun as working it out. Thanks to setter and BD.

20. Mike
    Posted October 11, 2014 at 11:20 pm | Permalink

Anybody into fashion?

21. RobinNewman
    Posted October 12, 2014 at 6:53 am | Permalink

very enjoyable-specially with the hints !