Hints and tips by Miffypops

BD Rating – Difficulty ***Enjoyment ***

One moment we are singing and the next we cry with pain.

1a    Determined to get result of hunt put in pot (7)
SKILLET:    Here we go. Take a three letter word meaning determined or established (or about a million other definitions) and put the appalling result of a foxhunt inside.

5a    Income from flat in Parisian street (7)
REVENUE:    Place an adjective meaning flat and smooth inside the French word for street

9a    Get ecstatic with Northern bird (5)
RAVEN:    Nevermore Quoth this bird – a verb meaning to get ecstatic followed by N(orthern)

10a    An off-break (4,5)
SICK LEAVE:    Time taken away from work or school when ill or when pretending to be ill. I am pleased to say that I have not taken much of this in my life.

11a    Convincing vice-consul is complicated (10)
CONCLUSIVE:    Golly. An anagram. All of the components are there. The indicator is rather obvious. The fodder or the letters that will be used in the anagram are there. There are ten of them and as always they either immediately precede or immediately follow the indicator. Finally we have a definition which in this case would work perfectly as a single clue in The Quickie. Off you go then.

12a    Name has to be changed? So be it (4)
AMEN:    I am tempted to write “see above” and leave it at that. As long as Big Dave is happy with that I will do so. [Golly an anagram … BD]

14a    Untimely errors made by chairman’s son (12)
ANACHRONISMS:    I hang my head in shame. This anagram (see both clues above) needed pen and paper to solve even though I had all of the checking letters in. My clue of the day. See the above two hints

18a    A treat for spectators — no support being required (4-8)
FREE STANDING:    The first word in the answer is indicated by the word treat and means at no cost. The whole phrase means not attached to or supported.

21a    One’s QC  material (4)
SILK:    A material or a Queen’s Counsel until she dies and Charlie boy takes over, then they will be King’s counsel which will mean that a great deal of stationery will have to be changed and they can put their punitive fees up even more. My careers officer failed to tell me about this gravy train. How do I sue him for loss of earnings?

22a    Female supporter at the match (10)
BRIDESMAID:    A lovely clue with a good surface read and misdirection aplenty. The match is a wedding and the female supporter who will be looking after the lucky lady standing at the altar. The illustration is Saint Sharon and my Niece Sophie. June 2003. Our wedding day.

25a    Insulting  attack (9)
OFFENSIVE:    A double definition. I could help more but once the checking letters are in it will become obvious

26a    Consumers requiring faultless service in United States (5)
USERS:    I like this clue. One of the seven deadly sins makes an appearance albeit well hidden. The word faultless is telling us to take it away. We are then told to put the remaining letters into the U(nited) S(tates). The result will mean consumers. The more I write this stuff the more I am convinced of the benefits of Quickie Crossword solving to Cryptic Crossword solvers.

27a    Everyone is in to try for the highest qualification (7)
TALLEST:    Our regular three letter word for everyone needs to be placed into our regular four letter word for try. The result will provide an adjective referring to those of the highest stature

28a    Stand up, showing refinement one has to receive the sweep (7)
DUSTPAN:    Anagram (showing refinement) of STAND UP

1d    Smart  deal (6)
SPRUCE:    A double definition. The second being a type of timber

2d    In a hole? Use your ingenuity (6)
INVENT:    IN followed by a hole – to create or design something that has not existed before.

3d    One illness to suffer in isolation (10)
LONELINESS:    I do find blogging anagrams boring. This is an anagram. (to suffer) of ONE ILLNESS

4d    There’s initial demand to get second jobs (5)
TASKS:    Take the initial or first letter of T(here’s) and add a verb meaning demand or to say something in order to obtain an answer and S(econd)

5d    Well, now (9)
RECOVERED:    To have rallied after an illness for which you may have needed some 10ac

6d    Goodbye  depression! (4)
VALE:    This is a clever double definition. The first word of which is used more commonly in The USA than it is here in The UK [and even more so in Ancient Rome! BD]

7d    Narrow escape from mean girl (4,4)
NEAR MISS:    The word “mean” in the wordplay means tight or miserly.

8d    All the same, head makes a regular appearance (8)
EVENNESS:    Regular, level or smooth followed by a geographical term for a headland

13d    Where coffees are served and drunk (2,4,4)
IN ONE’S CUPS:    A term meaning to be drunk and quite literally where coffees are served.

15d    What skiers may need to reach their peak (9)
CHAIRLIFT:    The means by which a skier might travel to reach the upper slopes of a mountain

16d    Branch is not on fire (8)
OFFSHOOT:    The opposite of on followed by a term used in oikball meaning to kick a ball with intent to score a goal

17d    Appetite satisfied? One’s more than enough! (8)
BELLYFUL:    A rather coarse term for a quantity of food sufficient to fill ones stomach

19d    Compensate with cosmetics? (4-2)
MAKE UP:    A double definition. The second referring to the slap women use to enhance their appearance

20d    Inventor is done for misrepresentation (6)
EDISON:    This is our final anagram today. The answer is a bloke we all know as an inventor but he didn’t really invent much at all. He improved a lot of other people’s inventions and was very good at commercial exploitation of a good idea. His first two names were Thomas Alva.

23d    Daily leader studied in awe (5)
DREAD:    D(aily) leader gives us our start letter and “studied” gives a clue to the rest. Studied at university perhaps.

24d    Part of link needing a joint (4)
KNEE:    This a lurker. A type of clue I particularly like. They hide away within the clue tempting us to find them. The words “part of” indicate the hidden word.

Karen Lawson. Best before 5th October 2014 My beautiful Sister-in-law.

The Quick Crossword pun: court+arise=cauterise

1. SheilaP
    Posted October 6, 2014 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

Last bit in, was the NW corner, but we managed to finish just before the hints came up on my iPad, otherwise I might have been tempted to do a little peeping. Thank you to the setter and to Miffypops. Winter has arrived here on the East coast today,and for about the first time since June I feel quite cold. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

Posted October 6, 2014 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

2*/3* for the usual Monday fare from Rufus – light but fun.

12d meaning drunk was a new expression for me, as was the specific meaning of the first word of the answer to 7d. 17d was my last one in and the delightful anagram 14a was my favourite.

Many thanks to Rufus and to MP.

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted October 6, 2014 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

I mean 13d not 12d of course.

Posted October 6, 2014 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Very spooky – returned from 10a this morning having 99% 5d from a nasty lurgi sweeping East Kent.

Thanks to Rufus for even more straightforward than usual start to the week and thanks and condolences to Miffypops and family.

4. Graham
    Posted October 6, 2014 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Sorry to hear of your loss, as for the crossword the only one I struggled with was 13D never heard of the expression but then I’ve led a sheltered life.No real standout clues for me but it has helped on a wet and drab day, many thanks to the setter & Miffypops for his review under difficult circumstances.

5. Beaver
    Posted October 6, 2014 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Pleasant start to the week, nothing too taxing ,a **/*** for me ,agree with Miffypops that 14 a was the best clue, all for quality anagrams, you know they are good if you don’t spot them-mea culpa! took a while to get 1a,wanted to put ‘bag’ in somewhere until i solved 3d.

6. F1lbertfox
    Posted October 6, 2014 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

13 down took almost as long for me to be convinced that I had the right solution as did pretty much the remainder of the puzzle. In the end I ‘cheated’ and checked the expression on Google – and discovered one I’ve never come across before, but no doubt I will find an opportunity to use it in the future ;-) A pleasant start to the week and plenty of smiles in this crossword, which brightened what was a horrible wet start to the day here in Shropshire. Its off out with the dog for ‘walkies’ now the weather has dried up a bit. Definitely not an afternoon for wearing shorts though, but I’m not putting them away quite just yet. Thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops also

7. BigBoab
    Posted October 6, 2014 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Gentle joy, what a nice way to start the week, many thanks to Rufus and to MP for very amusing and enjoyable review.

8. Ginny
    Posted October 6, 2014 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Thank you setter and Miffypops. I don’t know the details but sincere condolences to you and your family.. If only life didn’t have to be this way. Thank you for the hints which I will read when finished. Lovely picture of Sharon on a happier day. I enjoyed 2d and 6d.

9. happy days
    Posted October 6, 2014 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Pleasurable puzzle from Rufus, as always
    I didn’t care for 17d, but what’s perfect?

10. George
    Posted October 6, 2014 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Straightforward enough today – but I dispute the answer to 1d as Deal is a member of the Pine family – a very different tree. 2*/4*

Posted October 6, 2014 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

There are trees called Spruce Pines.

• George
        Posted October 6, 2014 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

Hmm – are you sure, Kath? The only Spruce Pine I know is a town in North Carolina. Ah, but it did not make much difference to solving the puzzle – I am just being pedantic!

Posted October 6, 2014 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

Yes – I’m sure, but who cares really?

11. Vancouverbc
    Posted October 6, 2014 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Almost a read and write for me which is not often the case. The NW corner slowed me up though so a 2.5/3. I liked 16d the best.

12. Owdoo
    Posted October 6, 2014 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

2*/3* for me. Average Monday puzzle with some nice touches. 14d was my favourite, and you can add me to the list of those unfamiliar with the expression at 13d.
    Thanks Rufus and Miffypops. Sorry to hear your sad news.

I had a chap laying some new turf in my back garden today. Originally I was feeling a bit guilty not doing the job myself but as it was pouring with rain all morning it turned out to be worth every penny!

• Miffypops
      Posted October 6, 2014 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

I hope you kept shouting “Green Side Up ” to him

• spindrift
        Posted October 6, 2014 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

I had a mate once who remarked that he wished he could afford to send his lawn away for cutting every time a lorry load of turf went past our office.

13. Jill
    Posted October 6, 2014 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

Mostly pretty straightforward except for the north-west corner which slowed me down somewhat. A good puzzle overall so many thanks to Rufus. Miffypops – I didn’t need your help but your contribution was appreciated nonetheless ! **/***

Posted October 6, 2014 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

Tricky but very enjoyable. Don’t quite understand why ‘qualification’ for 27a, doesn’t really add anything. Don’t see why ‘mean’ in 7d. What has near miss to do with being tight or miserly?
    Best clue was def 10a even it has nothing to do with the world’s greatest game (sorry Kath).
    Thx to all

Posted October 6, 2014 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

The ‘qualification’ bit of 27a makes the reading of the clue better and I think the definition is ‘highest qualification’ anyway.
      7d – look up mean (or near) in the BRB – near means ‘tight-fisted’ or mean and the miss is the girl.
      As for the worlds greatest game – well, all I can say is http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_rolleyes.gif

• Brian
        Posted October 6, 2014 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

Thx Kath, now I understand. Thx for ur patience
        Dear me, no cricket, no golf and no decent rugby until the 6 nations,
        Will have to settle for watching Spurs lose (well most of the time anyway).
        Depressing!

• Rick
          Posted October 6, 2014 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

Chin up – there’s the rugby autumn internationals next month.

• Jane
          Posted October 6, 2014 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

Can someone enlighten me as to what is the ‘world’s greatest game’?

• Hanni
            Posted October 6, 2014 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

Conkers. End of discussion. ;-)

• Jane
              Posted October 6, 2014 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

Like your style! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

• andy
              Posted October 6, 2014 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

And in my part of the world next weekend hosts many championships for conkers :)

Posted October 6, 2014 at 10:00 pm | Permalink

Brilliant – Jane and Hanni – please don’t ever stop commenting. At last I have allies! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

• Hanni
          Posted October 7, 2014 at 8:50 am | Permalink

Always…though it’s somewhat unrepeatable what the other half said when I mentioned conkers!

15. Jane
    Posted October 6, 2014 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

Anyone else find this one a little strange – almost as though two setters had collaborated?
    14a was the run away favourite for me.
    Second part of 8d – to my addled brain – had less to do with headlands and more to do with the number of times amateur photo’s appear apparently showing Nessie’s head rising out of the loch. OK – but it got me the answer! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif
    As for the review MP – to judge by the comments you sometimes make, I think St. Sharon should be the one to determine whether or not she was a ‘lucky lady’. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

16. karl
    Posted October 6, 2014 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

anyone have struck for one down. only one wrong ;-(

• Whybird
      Posted October 6, 2014 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

You are not alone! And not knowing deal equating to timber makes struck just as decent answer, until I was enlightened. Very enjoyable all the same. Thanks Setter and Miffypops.

Posted October 6, 2014 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

Apart from a couple of hold-ups I didn’t have too much trouble which, after the weekend we’ve had, is probably just as well – think I’ll leave it at that! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-phew.gif
    I’ll go for 1*/2* difficulty and 3* for enjoyment today.
    I have to confess that I started off with ‘onslaught’ for 25a but other answers put paid to that pretty quickly.
    I also confess that even with pencil and paper and having all the right letters for the 14a anagram I didn’t get it until I had alternate letters in – it was my last answer.
    I think 17d has two definitions, the second being the last four words of the clue as in “I’ve had a 17d of whatever you’ve had enough of”!
    I liked 5 and 14a and 2 and 7d. My favourite was 17d.
    With thanks to Rufus. Thanks to Miffypops and condolences to him and his family. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif

• Jane
      Posted October 6, 2014 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

So nice to discover that even the best of you resort to paper and pen from time to time – pommers will be disgusted with more than just a handful of us today. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif
      Sorry you had a bad weekend – hope it wasn’t down to the cushion covers!

Posted October 6, 2014 at 10:09 pm | Permalink

I’m not one of the best – I always use paper and pencil even if an anagram is really obvious because I’ve been caught out too many times – it’s usually an ending that goes wrong and totally screws up a whole corner. I don’t think pommers would be too ashamed of us – think it’s Miffypops who disapproves of it.
        As for the weekend – well, no not cushion covers – more just the kind of family stuff that even Andrea Newman couldn’t have come up with . . . ! Yet again http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-phew.gif

• Jane
          Posted October 6, 2014 at 11:31 pm | Permalink

Oh heck – think I’m confusing my MPs with my pommers – not a nice situation for a girl to find herself in. Since I’ve learnt to associate both with the consumption of alcohol I plead whichever amendment will get me out of it. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif

• Miffypops
        Posted October 6, 2014 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

I don’t really care how anybody solves a puzzle. I just like to tease and wind people up. Since I got the iPad I rarely have to reach for the pen and paper. Patience is a virtue when it comes to solving anagrams. One can always wait for more checkers.

• Kitty
          Posted October 6, 2014 at 11:04 pm | Permalink

I quite often input the letters in the wrong order on my Tab, then shuffle them around, and wonder whether that counts the same as using paper and pen…

• Jane
            Posted October 6, 2014 at 11:26 pm | Permalink

That’s even worse – you can keep shuffling things around without leaving any evidence behind! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

• Kitty
              Posted October 6, 2014 at 11:31 pm | Permalink

Shhhh! Oh, why did I give away my guilty secret? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_lol.gif

18. Hanni
    Posted October 6, 2014 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

**/*** today. The NE corner held me up a little as I managed to quickly misspell 3d, therefore causing problems with 9a. 14 and 22a were my favourites. In fact 14 was just delicious. Off to do the wind battered school run. Many thanks to the setter and MP.
    Miffypops, sincere condolences to all your family this week. Hanni.

19. Angel
    Posted October 6, 2014 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

Miffypops please accept my sincere sympathies for whatever loss you have sustained. I thank you and agree with your ***/*** grading for this unusual puzzle – at first it struck me as possibly being rather Rookie-like but gather it was a Rufus so thanks go to him. I agree with SheilaP in finding NW corner most challenging and I also messed up 22a leading to problem with 23d which was sorted by online help.

Posted October 6, 2014 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Excellent start to the week thank you Rufus. All good fun. Thanks MP for your review and hints. Rain all day in N Norfolk.

21. dutch
    Posted October 6, 2014 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Sorry to gather condolences are called for MP, I wish you much strength and thanks all the more for doing the blog, boring anagrams and all.

I hadn’t heard the13d expression for drunk and was pondering many alternatives.

I loved the untimely errors (14a) anagram clue, and i also liked the faultless service (26)

other novel clues of often seen words are 5a 19d and 20d – very clever

• Miffypops
      Posted October 6, 2014 at 9:49 pm | Permalink

The anagrams are not boring. Blogging them is.

Posted October 6, 2014 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

Sincere condolences to you and your family, Miffypops. You deserve a special thanks for making the effort at this time to entertain us all with your blog.

Usual enjoyable fare from Rufus, I do love his style. I have no argument with the anagrams. My fave is also 14a. Thanks to Rufus; this is the second time that autocorrect insists on capping Rufus.

23. Poppy
    Posted October 6, 2014 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

Apart from two mad moments – wondering whether 17d had an i in it, and forgetting 8d had two ns – this was fairly straightforward for a change. Love 9a so that has to be my fave, after reading Lorenz’s book King Solomon’s Ring and discovering that they fly upside down for sheer joie d’vivre. Heartfelt condolences to Miffypops, and much gratitude that you took the time to give us some splendid hints. Thanks to setter also.

Posted October 6, 2014 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

1a and 1d were the last in, otherwise not too tasking and very enjoyable.18a and 22a were my best liked.Condolences to MP and family.And thanks for blogging anyway.

25. Chris
    Posted October 6, 2014 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

I found it very tricky today, mainly by getting 18a wrong. (I started it with ‘hard’, which left lots of problems in the SW corner.) Very grateful to MP, for the help from his usual excellent review, and also to Rufus.

• Chris
      Posted October 7, 2014 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

And apologies and much sympathy to MP and family – so sorry that I too had missed the final line.

Posted October 6, 2014 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops for the review and hints. Condolences to Miffypops and family. A very nice start to the week, a tricky puzzle. I counted 6 cryptic definitions, and 3 double definitions and 6 anagrams. A very good mix of clues. I managed ok without the hints, but had not heard of 13d meaning drunk. Favourite was 10a, last in was 13d. Was 3*/3* for me.

Posted October 6, 2014 at 6:45 pm | Permalink

Condolences Miffypops. Usual good Monday stuff. We also found 14a took a little time to unravel and are totally at a loss to explain why it was more difficult than most anagrams to work out. Initially we had tried to put ‘grandstand’ in for 22a until the penny dropped. The correct word was a much better answer.
    Thanks Rufus and Miffypops.

• Angel
      Posted October 6, 2014 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

I too went for grandstand for 22a but sought help when I couldn’t solve 23d. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

• Jane
        Posted October 6, 2014 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

I was in the grandstand too – but the extra ‘d’ kept bothering me. V. hard to get the ‘stand’ out of your mind when looking for an alternative!

Posted October 6, 2014 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

For anagram lovers , todays FT puzzle has 9.

29. Little Dave
    Posted October 6, 2014 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

Found this pretty straight-forward but had never heard of 12d before. Otherwise a gentle start to the working week. With thanks to BD et al. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif

30. Hilary
    Posted October 6, 2014 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

Am I the only boozer who had heard of 13d what with marc and hock last week must be my age? NW corner also held me up but got there in the end. Sincere thanks as always to Miffypops and BD I don’t know whether or not it is a coincidence but my success rate has certainly gone up since I joined BD’s gang I seem to have gained confidence.

Posted October 6, 2014 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

No – you’re not the only boozer who’d heard of 13d. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

Posted October 6, 2014 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

I wouldn’t call myself a boozer but I had certainly heard of 13d!

Posted October 6, 2014 at 10:36 pm | Permalink

I would call myself a boozer and have heard of 13d.

• Jane
          Posted October 6, 2014 at 11:36 pm | Permalink

I’m not even going to comment – too busy opening the bottle. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif

• Kitty
            Posted October 6, 2014 at 11:44 pm | Permalink

If you’re in the same time zone as me, Jane, isn’t it time for bed? :). That’s where I’m headed now, anyway http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-yawn.gif. Goodnight!

• Una
      Posted October 7, 2014 at 12:36 am | Permalink

It’s quite an old fashioned phrase , something Rumpole of the Old Bailey might say.

31. andy
    Posted October 6, 2014 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

Condolences Miffypops., I’m in the 13d clueless club , oh the irony, Saturday spent at Ascot 8th Camra beer fest in the grandstand. Thanks to Rufus and Miffypops

32. Tstrummer
    Posted October 6, 2014 at 9:36 pm | Permalink

Thoughts go out to MP and St S – and thanks for taking the time to blog, although I didn’t need you today, Rufus being his usual pleasant, playful and untaxing Monday self. 2*/3*

33. Kitty
    Posted October 6, 2014 at 10:42 pm | Permalink

Couldn’t concentrate on the crossword today, then the preamble made me sad :(. And what a great review, despite the loss you have suffered. Whatever has happened, you have my deep sympathy.

And my thanks for the hints, of course. In the end I didn’t need them, except to check 13d. I could have looked that up elsewhere, of course, but why go anywhere but here? Thanks also to Rufus.

34. Kitty
    Posted October 6, 2014 at 11:42 pm | Permalink

How did I not read the bottom line? Now I know what I’m offering them for, I’ll add my condolences again to you, MP, and your family. I hope our wittering in the comments is welcome and helpful at this sad time. Not least, because wittering is one thing I can do.

35. Ginny
    Posted October 7, 2014 at 1:44 am | Permalink

Have also just read the bottom line. Very sincere condolences to Saint Sharon. A very hard year !

36. Angel
    Posted October 7, 2014 at 8:57 am | Permalink

Miffypops and St. Sharon – my apologies, I too omitted to read the bottom line but, having done so, now sincerely reiterate my sympathies.

37. Hilary
    Posted October 7, 2014 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

For Miffypops and Sharon – Sorry it’s a bit late but I had to look it up
    They are not dead who live
    in hearts they leave behind.
    In those whom they have blessed;
    they live a life again.