ST 2762 (Hints)

Sunday Telegraph Cryptic No 2762 (Hints)

Hints and tips by Big Dave

As is usual for the weekend prize crosswords, I will select a number of the more difficult clues and provide hints for them.

Some hints follow:

1a Person making dough around clubs as supporter (6)
Put a tradesman who makes dough from flour around C(lubs)

8a United‘s defensive blunder in tie (8)
The two-letter abbreviation for a defensive error in football inside a verb meaning to tie or fasten

11a In a frenzy, brief reassurance about my condition (4)
Split as (2,2) this could be a brief reassurance about my condition

13a Where journalists may be found after crowd largely dispersed (5,7)
A crowd or throng followed by an anagram (dispersed) of LARGELY

20a Soil inside grave I removed? That’s defamatory (10)
Some soil or ground inside an adjective meaning grave from which the I has been removed

21a After cold, ring doctor to sort out shock, in a way (4)
C(old) followed by the ring-shaped letter and one of the usual abbreviations for a doctor gives a verb meaning to sort out a shock of hair

22a Silly person  that entrusts nest egg to others (6)
This silly person is also a bird that is noted for depositing its egg in the nest of another bird

25a Experience confinement, kept under observation (6)
Split as (2,4) this could mean to experience confinement unwillingly

1d Reserve currency no longer used — reminder placed in work (8)
A four-letter verb meaning to reserve a place followed by a currency that was replace by the Euro gives a reminder that can be placed in a work of literature

2d Arrest for threatening announcement by player (5)
This verb meaning to arrest or bring to a standstill is also an announcement by a chess player about an impending threat

3d Repeating speech so boring, left 50 per cent out throughout (7)
A signature Virgilius clue – leave out the first half (50 per cent) of three words in the clue

7d Shed adjoining building slowly covering area (4-2)
The musical notation for slowly around (covering) A(rea)

9d Part of Bible filling clergymen briefly with joy (11)
To get this book (part) in the Bible, start with an three-letter abbreviated form of a clergyman, make it plural and then insert (filling) joy or delight

17d Workers rising within a unit in plant (7)
Some workers reversed (rising in a down clue) inside the A from the clue and a unit or singleton

19d Shed in swampy area (6)
This verb meaning to shed or cast off an outer skin is also a swampy area

OK it’s an alternative clue, but I’m allowed to break my own rules and I couldn’t resist this one!

21d Hiding-place pronounced ready (5)
Sounds like (pronounced) ready money

Today it’s Happy Birthday to Liam Gallagher (42) and Bill Murray (64)

1. George
    Posted September 21, 2014 at 11:49 am | Permalink

Another R&W – I am surprised at how some days it all seems to flow in so easily, and then on others it is such a challenge. Are the Prize puzzles easier for some reason?
    1*/3* for me on this one

• Posted September 21, 2014 at 11:53 am | Permalink

The cynics amongst us would say that The Telegraph in particular sets a low difficulty level for its Prize Puzzles in order to be able to harvest more names and addresses for its marketing campaigns.

Posted September 21, 2014 at 11:50 am | Permalink

2.5*/4*. Another Sunday joy! 25a was my last one in and singlehandedly pushed up my solving time over 2* for difficulty.

My page is littered with asterisks: 10a, 11a, 13a, 22a, 2d, 3d, 14d with 8d my absolute favourite. But that’s not to say all the other clues weren’t great as well!

Many thanks to Virgilius and to BD.

3. Dutch
    Posted September 21, 2014 at 11:58 am | Permalink

last entry was 22a: the checking letters gave this silly person a bit of a fright..

favourites are United’s defensive blunder in 8a and the outlaw with the weapon in in 10a.

Not very difficult, just as well on this sunday morning..

many thanks setter and Dave

Posted September 21, 2014 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

I didn’t find this a read and write, I thought it was an interesting challenge, letting the solutions swim in focus and justifying them afterwards.Thanks BD and Virgilius.

5. Hrothgar
    Posted September 21, 2014 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

Raced through it in record time.
    But didn’t understand the why in 11a.
    I must be thick.
    Many thanks Virgilius and BD.

Posted September 21, 2014 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

Another enjoyable puzzle thank you Virgilius. Following the usual pattern, difficult to get started, but once under way the fog clearing ! Thanks BD for your hints. I needed the BRB for 19d. and your hint confirmed the answer.

7. Walt
    Posted September 21, 2014 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

Hi BD. Thanks for the – as ever – helpful hints. As I’ve said before, I’m quite a newbie to this, and to hear some people just read and write makes me very impressed! I’m having an issue with the final one I can’t get, unfortunately though! And it’s with the “usual” word for something in crossword land. However, maybe I’ll leave it and come back later! For me full marks for enjoyment though! Walt

• Posted September 21, 2014 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Read the prologue and you will find what I mean by “usual” in the hints!

8. Vanvouverbc
    Posted September 21, 2014 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Started late again but fairly reasonable challenge. A **/*** for me. The one clue I didn’t like was 21d which I got but found the link to the answer tenuous.

• Posted September 21, 2014 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

By spelling your alias incorrectly, your comment went into moderation. I corrected it last time in case it was a one-off, but this time I’ve left it for you to see.

Posted September 21, 2014 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

I look forward to Sundays for my Virgilius puzzles. Great stuff. I needed the hints to know why my 3d was correct as it couldn’t be anything else; how clever was that. Now for a fave, so difficult, I like 9d and 14d, but I think 13a is it. Thanks to Virgilius for the entertainment and BD for the review.

10. Franco
    Posted September 21, 2014 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Somewhat disappointed by the Telegraph’s cryptic puzzles this week-end!

They cannot get any easier? Can they?

Posted September 21, 2014 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Virgilius and to Big Dave for the hints. A very enjoyable puzzle, but quite straightforward. Just needed the hint to parse 3d. Favourites were 8&25a. Was 1*/3* for me.

12. JonP
    Posted September 21, 2014 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

Needed a hint for 25ac – just couldn’t see it… Also struggled with a couple of other clues but have been stressed these last few days and it’s funny how (for me) it manifests as complications in solving crosswords. Looking at a completed grid, I reckon that it was definitely one of Virgilius’s easier offerings and had I been firing on all cylinders, it wouldn’t have caused as many hold-ups – if any. Enjoyable nonetheless, and thanks to BD and Virgilius **/****

Posted September 22, 2014 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

Just how late is this? Life overtook me yesterday. I don’t remember the last time that I didn’t do at least one crossword in a day – terrible withdrawal symptoms.
    Having already done the Rufus and the Rookie Corner crosswords today I’ve only got to yesterday’s recently.
    I agree with others that it wasn’t too tricky but it was very enjoyable as Sunday puzzles always are.
    I was slow and dim with 8a and 3d but apart from those two, and a minor hiccup with 22a until I got 17d, I didn’t have too many problems.
    I liked 11 and 12a and 5 and 21d. My favourite was 22a.
    With terribly belated thanks to Virgilius and to BD.