DT 27492 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 27492 (Hints)

Hints and tips by Gazza

There’s still time to enter our Monthly Prize Puzzle.

BD is going to the knees-up at Derby today so I’ve been called off the bench as a substitute. As is usual for the weekend prize crosswords, an assortment of clues, including some of the more difficult ones, have been selected and hints provided for them.

Some hints follow:

Across Clues

8a What Lisa might do when at sea (4)
The definition is the whole clue and it’s an anagram (when at sea) of LISA.

13a Grim film you and I should leave (5)
Start with a film genre and remove from its beginning the pronoun meaning you and I.

15a Puzzler continued unnoticed to give an example (7)
Continued and unnoticed are both 9-letter words – have you spotted what else they have in common?

17a States the woman may identify herself with I… (7)
A woman with a specific name may introduce herself with the words ‘I ** *****’. Unfortunately the legendary Ms. Roe, the Twickenham streaker, spelled her name with a K, otherwise I might have risked a different picture.

22a Prompt soldier’s going west, getting aboard in Washington, say (9)
In an across clue ‘going west’ means reversing so we need to reverse the abbreviation for an ordinary soldier in the USA and insert it (getting aboard) amongst IN (from the clue) and what Washington (the one on the west coast, not the capital) is an example of.

28a Very popular ordinary drink (4)
This is neat because the whole clue could describe the answer. String together the abbreviation for very, a short word meaning popular or trendy and the abbreviation for ordinary.

Down Clues

1d Very strong players joining club (4-4)
The collective name for the players in a film or stage production followed by a type of golf club.

3d Support upcoming boy with record set out on opposite course (4-5)
Start with a verb to support or endorse. Now string together a boy and the abbreviation for an old vinyl format and reverse it (upcoming, in a down clue).

21d Story about right to intercept drug (6)
A preposition meaning about or concerning is followed by R(ight) going inside (to intercept) an informal word for cannabis.

24d Poetic creature‘s ‘Boat Poles’ taking first place (5)
The imaginary creature hunted in Lewis Carroll’s nonsense poem is a Biblical ship preceded (taking first place) by both geographical poles.

Feel free to leave comments or ask for further help but please take note of the rules in red below.

The Quick crossword pun: {PICK } + {KNICKERS } = {PICNICKERS}

1. Caravaggio
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Good morning, Gazza, and salutations from South Cheshire where it’s a lovely day and I’ve been able to sit out in the garden and complete the puzzle. I particularly liked 15a because I hadn’t noticed the connection previously and I’m not going to say any more for fear of finding myself on the naughty step…

Posted May 17, 2014 at 11:32 am | Permalink

2*/4* for a most enjoyable puzzle for a lovely Saturday morning.

I can’t make up my mind if I like or loathe 17a, but I certainly did like 15a which was my favourite today. 24d was my last one in.

Many thanks to Mr Ron and to Gazza.

P.S. Gazza, isn’t a homophone a good enough excuse for a picture of Ms Roe of Twickenham? In fact the YouTube video title of that memorable event is misspelled!

• Hrothgar
      Posted May 17, 2014 at 11:57 am | Permalink

When I fully comprehended 17a, I thought it a brilliant clue.
      I certainly would not have minded M/s Roe’s first name being misspelt with a photo of her considerable assets.

• Collywobbles
        Posted May 18, 2014 at 8:51 am | Permalink

I am proud to say that I was there

Posted May 17, 2014 at 11:47 am | Permalink

A lovely crossword and a lovely sunny morning. 2* difficulty and 4* for enjoyment.
    I had the last two letters of 9a wrong to begin with – yet again if you can’t explain your answer it probably isn’t right.
    I agree with RD – can’t make up my mind about 17a and, also like RD, 24d was my last answer.
    I thought there were some really good clues – – 9 and 15a and 24d, eventually. My favourite was 5d because it was silly.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and gazza.

4. Carrie
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Very enjoyable and in the beginning it seemed quite easy. However, I got stuck in the NE corner. I just had a mental block because with hindsight and the answer they do seem obvious.

Does the quietness here point to a lot of people being in Derby?

I’m stuck in London, the weather is okay but I have a stinking cold so feeling quite sorry for myself

Thank you setter for crossword and Gazza for Hints and Tips

5. Derek
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Pleasant solve today.

Faves : 15a, 26a, 3d, 7d & 24d.

6d had an Irish flavour!

6. neveracrossword
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 11:55 am | Permalink

2*/4* for me. I’m another fan of 15a. Thx to Gazza and setter.

7. Angel
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

One of the most entertaining Saturday offerings I can remember with slightly more of a challenge and a host of good clues including 15a (penny dropped after writing this in), 1d, 3d, 6d and 24d and so on. **/****. Thanks Mr. Ron and stand-in Gazza. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gifhttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

8. Baa
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

Help! I’ve can’t do 5D. I have ***** and can only think of one word, which doesn’t really seem to fit.

Is it breaking the rules if I ask for a clue? I don’t really want to sit on the naughty step as it’s beautiful weather outside and I have a lawn which needs mowing, and some sweet peas which need planting, and some seedlings to pot on ………

Posted May 17, 2014 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

It’s ok to ask for a hint but please don’t supply individual letters of the answer.

5d Biting fast (5)
      It’s a double definition.

• Caroline
      Posted May 17, 2014 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

I was stuck on 5d too for ages – my last one in. This may get me banished or even worse “moderated”, but think of biting as being descriptive of weather. Personally I don’t think biting and ***** as being interchangeable!

Posted May 17, 2014 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

I thought of it slightly differently. 5d certainly means fast and if someone had a dog with a rather dodgy temperament they might advise people not to touch her (or him) as he (or she) can be a bit 5d. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

Posted May 17, 2014 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

You may be right but I favour Caroline’s take. Your explanation is a bit cryptic so would probably have needed a question mark at least.

Posted May 17, 2014 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Oh dear – one chance to be right – oh well . . . http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

Posted May 17, 2014 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

You may be right – we’ll probably never know which was the setter’s intention.

• Caroline
                Posted May 17, 2014 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Interesting! I favour Kath’s interpretation. My link is tenuous, to say the least. Whichever, I hope Baa can solve the clue now!

• Expat Chris
                Posted May 17, 2014 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

I agree with Kath. That’s how I interpreted it also.

• Tantalus
                  Posted May 17, 2014 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

Great minds think alike!

• stanXYZ
                    Posted May 17, 2014 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

I agree with Kath …

… “Great Minds”? (Include me out!)

• Hrothgar
                      Posted May 17, 2014 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

Another name for **************.
                      So my grandfather tells me.
                      Is that the naughty step?

Posted May 17, 2014 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

Posted May 17, 2014 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

In spite of the overwhelming support for Kath’s theory I’m sticking to Caroline’s original view (before she turned traitor and joined the opposition :D ). For the answer the BRB has ‘pungent, biting; nimble, quick (informal); niggardly; (especially of weather) very cold, frosty.

Posted May 17, 2014 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

No mention of a badly brought up dog then? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_whistle3.gif
                    Just to change the subject as I’ve had enough of that one now can someone explain what “permalink” means – it’s next to the “reply” thingy. I wanted to put a little face waving goodbye to Hrothgar when he was sent to the naughty corner but there’s no reply thing there, so I couldn’t.

• Hrothgar
                      Posted May 17, 2014 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

Sorry.
                      I blame my grandfather.

Posted May 17, 2014 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

Permalink is the permanent address associated with the comment which you can store/send to others/etc. When you use it, it will always bring you back to the relevant comment within the relevant blog.
                      You don’t see the Reply button when we’ve reached the maximum level of indentation (10) within a comment.

• F1lbertfox
        Posted May 17, 2014 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

To give you a different clue to go on – *********. Now that’s giving my age away just a little!

[PLEASE read the bit in red about not giving alternative clues]

• F1lbertfox
          Posted May 17, 2014 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Oooops, sorry. Dint know that. :-(

Posted May 17, 2014 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Thank you setter, I found this harder than the usual Saturday puzzle and it took me a while to finish it. Last in were 13a and 15a. Many thanks Gazza for providing hints for those two. I had the answers, but just could not get the wordplay. I was wrestling with “**” instead of “**” for 13a. and completely missed the thrust of the 15a clue.

[Edited to remove parts of the answer. Gazza]

• Sweet William
      Posted May 17, 2014 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

Apologies Gazza.

Posted May 17, 2014 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

I hope all those in Derby have a great day. I would’ve loved to have joined you, but as my team are in the FA Cup Final, that takes preference :-)

11. stanXYZ
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

15a – Many Thanks, Gazza, for the explanation. Like it!

• stanXYZ
      Posted May 17, 2014 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

I may regret this for some considerable time but I’ve just printed out today’s NTSPP!

Why did I do that?

• Expat Chris
        Posted May 17, 2014 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

I did, too. The 5-hour time difference (9 am here) gives me the whole day to work on it….not that I think it will help, having had a quick read through!

Posted May 17, 2014 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

Me too – I’ve managed two answers but that’s one more than I’ve ever done with an Elgar crossword before.
          I also have a four letter answer but there are five spaces – I don’t understand but suspect it’s deliberate and all will become clear . . .
          Plenty of time to carry on trying – it’s a lovely sunny day and I was gardening but now have a MASSIVE bee swarm in the garden so have come in and shut all doors and windows.

• Tantalus
        Posted May 17, 2014 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Mrs T heading to VT today so may start a new routine with a new xword and new Mrs T.

12. SheilaP
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

Absolutely not on this setters wavelength at all today I’m afraid. Usually Saturday’s puzzles are fun but not this one for us. Managed to finish with a struggle. Rooting for Hull in today’s Cup Final. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

13. SheilaP
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Oops….forgot to thank Setter and Gazza. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_redface.gif

Posted May 17, 2014 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

I liked this a lot. 15A was the last one in but first past the post. I also rather liked 26A. Didn’t need the hints, but appreciate Gaza’s review and, of course, thanks are extended to the setter.

15. Little Dave
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

All done. Favourites were 12 and 15a. Beautiful day watching my son play cricket. Thanks the The Setter.

16. Baa
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Thank you everyone who came forward with a clue. It was Caroline’s reference to the weather that got me there in the end! So thanks Caroline.

Been out to mow the lawn and the mower’s packed up. Going to lie down in a darkened room and wake up for the new series of Wallender tonight.

• Tantalus
      Posted May 17, 2014 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Thanks to anagrozz for a fun acetylcholine filled morning. LOI was 7d, we hated 6d but den big an torking like ease tenders…. Maybe she put too much strychnine in my tea this morning. Check the obits in the Boston Globe please.

Posted May 17, 2014 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

I am so glad to hear there’s a new Wallender series, great news. It’ll take a few months to come our way but I look forward to it.

Posted May 17, 2014 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

It’s the last series (6 episodes) apparently. Krister Hendriksson only returned to the part on condition that he got an irrevocably final swansong.
        I still haven’t got over the fact that Sarah Lund won’t be coming back.

• Caroline
          Posted May 17, 2014 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

Glad to be of assistance! Now that I’ve read Gazza’s BRB definition, I’m back to favouring my explanation (sorry Kath!). Forgot to say earlier, but thanks to setter and hintmeister!

Posted May 17, 2014 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

Is there a word for being treacherous twice – off with your head would do. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

• Expat Chris
              Posted May 17, 2014 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

I am absolutely still with you on this one. Live dangerously…that’s my motto!

• Caroline
              Posted May 17, 2014 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

Mercurial?http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

Posted May 17, 2014 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

I recall that Churchill said that anyone can rat, but it takes great talent to re-rat.

17. Badger
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

I have filled in 20a but can’t justify it -tumble drier ??
    Anyone else have trouble?

Posted May 17, 2014 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Badger.
      20a Foam from really old tumble-drier, hot to start with (5)
      It’s the starting letters from five words in the clue.

• Tantalus
      Posted May 17, 2014 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

Is this Badger from Pangbourne?

18. Owdoo
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

Did this sitting on the swing seat in the garden enjoying the sunshine and birdsong. Very pleasant and it seemed just the right level of difficulty for a Saturday.
    15a and 16a I thought were particularly clever.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

This time next week I’ll have swapped this for some Mediterranean sun. I might have to take a book of puzzles with me as my better half has suggested we take no internet connected devices with us!

19. Annidrum
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

I found that a very pleasant not too taxing solve . 15a a very clever clue but didn’t understand it until I saw gazza’s hint .Thanks to setter & gazza.

20. Kingsley
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

Pleased to say that I finished today’s (rather challenging, I thought) puzzle without the Hints. But I have to admit that I “solved” some of the clues by having the checking letters, seeing the obvious word that fitted, and then working out the wordplay, for example 15a, which I thought was a VERY clever clue and 24d (my last one in). I had never heard of the poem mentioned in 24d before but googled the word and that confirmed my answer.

Posted May 17, 2014 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

I found this tricky for a Saturday but enjoyable. I didn’t see the double duty of 15a, thanks to Gazza, that is definitely my favourite. Never did get 24a, needed hint for that. Thanks to setter and Gazza. Hope they’re having fun up north.

22. Robbo
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

Having a complete mental block on 7 down if there are any hints it would be much appreciated

Posted May 17, 2014 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

7d Biblical food reportedly in fashion (6)
      The answer is a homophone (reportedly) of food from heaven. The homophone may or may not work for you – it doesn’t for me.

23. Badger
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

Thanks Gazza,
    I had the right answer but can see why now -Dohhhhh!,

Has anyone ever won the notebook & pen?

I’ve sent in every week for nearly 6 months but no joy (thanks to you bloggers!

• Little Dave
      Posted May 18, 2014 at 6:59 am | Permalink

Hi Badger yes pleased to report I have won the runner-up prize once – about 18 months ago. Admittedly had taken about 19 years of almost religious entering. The note book and pen are nothing special but the prestige lives long in the memory. I am told over 5000 entrants a week (and that was before you could submit on-line).

Best of luck (I still enter).

• weekendwanda
        Posted May 18, 2014 at 8:29 am | Permalink

I always wonder whether the number of entries varies according to the difficulty of the puzzle but so far as I know the DT has never been forthcoming about the number of entries or how they are affected by level of difficulty or other factors. It is just the luck of the draw of course – like the Lottery and Premium Bonds. Picked up £25 from each this week.

• weekendwanda
      Posted May 18, 2014 at 8:23 am | Permalink

I only submit occasionally but have won the notebook and pen once

24. Angel
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

Badger you’re a mere beginner – how about over 20 years and a nil return!

25. A G Brown
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 9:52 pm | Permalink

Back on crossword after saying goodbye to Canadian visitors would give it ***\**** today no help needed thanks to setter for an enjoyable puzzle

26. A G Brown
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

Badger have been sending in D T crosswords for years never a sniff of a prize I don’t think prizes are randomly picked ,but more on a regional basis. looking at winners over the years has drawn me to that conclusion

• weekendwanda
      Posted May 18, 2014 at 8:32 am | Permalink

I think randomly. A wealthy acquaintance of mine has won three times. Two consolations and a first prize when it was a Mont Blanc pen. There’s no justice……

• Angel
      Posted May 19, 2014 at 4:21 am | Permalink

I too have wondered about prize-winner selection being governed on a regional basis and I feel the same applies to Letters to the Editor although I do admit to having succeeded occasionally with that. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_mail.gif

27. Dutch
    Posted May 17, 2014 at 10:44 pm | Permalink

I gave up mailing the solutions years ago.. Must admit, I’m still pretty keen on a pen.

• Sweet William
      Posted May 18, 2014 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

Having read your post Dutch, I have dashed upstairs to check that my Dupont pen is still safe ! It appears that I won it in 1998 puzzle No 22,544 ! I think that at that time runners up won book tokens and I was lucky enough to collect some of those. More recently I won the notepad and pen twice in a month ! So, I would like to take this opportunity to apologise to all the expert solvers who post on this site and have never won anything. I have to admit that it does seem wrong that a 24 handicap crossword hacker like me should be so lucky – to the disadvantage of far more talented people.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_redface.gif

Posted May 18, 2014 at 1:32 am | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and to Gazza for the review and hints. A very enjoyable puzzle that was tricky in places. Favourite was 12a , last in was 15a. Great entertainment, was 3*/3*for me. Great win by the Gooners!

29. weekendwanda
    Posted May 18, 2014 at 8:36 am | Permalink

Thanks setter for a very enjoyable puzzle and to Gazza for the hints. Did not need the hints for the answer but to confirm I was right where I did not get the wordplay – particularly 24d. With regard to 15a – no Gazza I had not spotted what the words had in common. Got the answer and when I understood why it was right I thought it was brilliant.

30. Badger
    Posted May 18, 2014 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

This Badger is not from Pangbourne !

I did win a book token back in the 80s but never bothered to send in after that.

However, I kept the published prize list with great pride…..!

31. Little Dave
    Posted May 18, 2014 at 8:55 pm | Permalink

Somewhat sadly I have saved my winning entry announcement and the crossword that I got the runner-up prize for – and even laminated it. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_mail.gif

32. Bazza
    Posted May 18, 2014 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

Pretty thin help! Bring back BD. but thanks Gazza nonetheless for stepping in. I should have gone to Derby.
    17a is contrived in my opinion… Bazza

Posted May 18, 2014 at 10:09 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Bazza.