Hints and tips by Deep Threat

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment ***

Good morning from the Camping Club site at Chipping Norton, where we’re spending a few days in the Cotswolds.

Today’s Giovanni came in just within ** time for me, with 19d the last one in.

In the hints below, the definitions are underlined.

7a           Company member tells stories and toes the line (8)
{ COMPLIES } Put together an abbreviation for company, a member of the House of Commons, and a verb for telling stories which are untrue.

9a           Think logically about a potential heir? (6)
{ REASON } The Latin word for about or concerning, followed by A (from the clue) and a male heir.

10a         Firm  seeking excitement? (4)
{ FAST } Double definition: firm or solid; and a rather dated description of those women who, with slow horses, were the ruin of many young men of means.

11a         Chat, spiel designed to enthral customers ultimately (5,5)
{ SALES PITCH } An all-in-one clue which contains an anagram (designed) of CHAT SPIEL with the last letter of customers inserted.

12a         Sensible, with heart of emotion concealed? (6)
{ STOLID } A sort of all-in-one. The middle letter of emoTion hidden inside a word for sensible, giving a word for unemotional. I’m not over enamoured of this clue. Thanks to BD for helping out with the parsing.

14a         Adult participating in a pretty silly sort of celebration (3,5)
{ TEA PARTY } An anagram (silly) of A PRETTY with Adult inside it, giving a celebration often linked with vicars or chimpanzees.

15a         Insect almost caught by ape in upper area of trees (6)
{ CANOPY } Remove the final letter from a worker insect, and put the result inside a verb meaning to ape or imitate.

17a         Row in lake between two similar points (6)
{ SERIES } One of the Great Lakes in between two identical compass points.

20a         Tender having lost tail, animal hides out of sight (3-5)
{ OFF-STAGE } Remove the final R from a verb meaning tender, and put a large Highland animal inside it, to get someone who is out of sight in the theatre.

22a         The sun going down for barking animal? (6)
{ SETTER } This variety of dog could also be the sun at the end of the day.

23a         Something living in the deep, see, grabbing a man, one struggling (3,7)
{ SEA ANEMONE } Anagram (struggling) of A MAN ONE inside SEE (from the clue).

24a         Painter shows one boy facing left (4)
{ DALI } The Roman numeral for one and a word for a boy, all reversed.

25a         Stick of explosive embedded in central part (6)
{ COHERE } The defini9tion is a verb. An abbreviation for high explosive is placed inside the central part of an apple.

26a         Waters flowing back trapping chaps in grounds (8)
{ SEDIMENT } Reverse a word describing the ebb and flow of the sea, and put another word for chaps inside it.

1d           Wild rubbish about bloke in charge (8)
{ ROMANTIC } A bloke inside a word for rubbish, followed by the abbreviation for ‘in charge’, giving something which is wild compared with the order of the Classical.

2d           Sizzled in quarrel (4)
{ SPAT } Double definition, the first describing what meat on a barbecue did.

3d           Failed to become veiled in speech (6)
{ MISSED } This word for failed or fell short sounds like (in speech) a verb meaning to become veiled.

4d           International competition that could give a jolly group dreadful scare (4,4)
{ ARMS RACE } A (from the clue) followed by the abbreviation for the regiment whose members are known as jollies and an anagram (dreadful) of SCARE.

5d           Somewhere like London is spot ultimately for businessperson? (10)
{ CAPITALIST } A city like London, Paris or Berlin, followed by IS (from the clue) and the last letter of spoT.

6d           Yob outside toilet possibly revealing too much? (3-3)
{ LOW-CUT } A word for a yob wrapped around an abbreviation for a toilet.

8d           Honour least surprising university received (6)
{ SALUTE } Anagram (surprising) of LEAST with University inside it.

13d         Sort of designer — plans cedar possibly (10)
{ LANDSCAPER } Anagram (possibly) of PLANS CEDAR.

16d         Cell with plaque on lease (8)
{ PLATELET } A type of blood cell is made up of another word for a memorial plaque followed by a verb meaning ‘to lease’.

18d         Bird in grass passing surreptitiously (8)
{ STEALING } An aquatic bird inside another slang word for grass or squeal.

19d         Watery grave from which one must escape (6)
{ SEROUS } Remove the I (one must escape) from a word meaning grave or solemn, to get an adjective describing a watery body fluid (in which 16d can be found, I think).

21d         Live off money paid? Fellow may go under! (4,2)
{ FEED ON } The money paid for a professional service, followed by a university Fellow.

22d         How boy and girl are going to have regular meetings? (6)
{ STEADY } If a couple meet regularly they may be described as going this.

24d         Mother with energy, a noble lady? (4)
{ DAME } The mother of a thoroughbred horse, followed by Energy.

The Quick Crossword pun { PLANES }{ PEAKING } = { PLAIN SPEAKING }

1. Graham
    Posted May 2, 2014 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Nice puzzle & agree with DT ratings. I must admit I was struggling to make an anagram for 13 D but looked across at the lovely charlie advert opposite on the paper editions & bingo! Many thanks to the setter & DT for the review.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

2. MikeT
    Posted May 2, 2014 at 11:12 am | Permalink

There were certainly a few here where I wasn’t totally convinced that I’d arrived at the right answers, which I found unusual for Giovanni’s clues – as they generally leave me in no doubt. Good workout though. Thanks to setter and DT for the review.

3. Kfb
    Posted May 2, 2014 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Due to me completing both of the crosswords appearing on my iPad yesterday , I had the strange phenomenon of a completed crossword appearing today .

I now have no excuse for cutting the grass this morning .

Good puzzle , agree witH DT on ratings . 21 d was my final one .

4. Dave Hartley
    Posted May 2, 2014 at 11:34 am | Permalink

I’m probably missing something, but the reference to romantic being wilder than classical didn’t help much. Romantic seems a very strained meaning of wild to me.

Posted May 2, 2014 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

I wasn’t very happy about wild being the same as romantic either but BRB disagrees with us.

• Carrie
        Posted May 2, 2014 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

It may be alluding to the romantic period which was really interested in nature and the power it has.

5. skempie
    Posted May 2, 2014 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Can’t say I’ve ever heard of 19D before, but the clue was pretty straightforward and Goggle confirmed it. Like DT, I wasn’t overly happy with 12A, but had to be what it is. Other than that, a really good fun solve today (see, got that pesky D key unstuck) with 14A probably being my favourite.

Still dull and overclouded hear (so threatening rain IMHO) so it looks like I may be able to put the grass cutting off until tomorrow (I did give it a quick strim yesterday).

Posted May 2, 2014 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-phew.gifI found this really difficult – more so than yesterday’s Giovanni Toughie – think he mixed his envelopes up this week. Nearly 4* difficulty and 3* for enjoyment.
    It’s taken me ages but now I can’t quite see why – looking at it again I thought there were some good clues.
    I liked 11 and 14a and 13 and 19d (the stuff that the white cells, red cells and platelets float around in is plasma). My favourite was 6d.
    With thanks to Giovanni and Deep Threat.

• neveracrossword
      Posted May 2, 2014 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

Harder than yesterday’s Toughie?? You cannot be serous!

Posted May 2, 2014 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

I really thought it was – don’t know why.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

Posted May 2, 2014 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

So far above my pay grade I can only look up in wonder. Is there a ****** for difficulty?
    Managed about 6 answers. Beaten well and truly, going to retire with my tail between my legs.

Posted May 2, 2014 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Mrs B is furious! There are no platelets in serum! And as she is a qualified haematologist I for one am not going to argue.

• Steve_the_beard
      Posted May 2, 2014 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Surely you’re confusing two entirely separate clues?

Posted May 2, 2014 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

Brian – I agree with Steve_the_beard. You’re mixing two separate clues and sticking them together.
      It’s also partly my fault – Deep Threat said, in his hint for 19d, that 16d (platelets) are in serum. I said that the wet bit of blood, in other words what all the other components are floating around in, is plasma. As an ex-ward sister on a general medical and haematology ward I stand by what I said but will check with husband (a general physician and clinical haematologist) when he gets home in case I’ve forgotten everything I ever knew, in which case I apologise.
      Am I forgiven for stirring things up?http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

• Una
      Posted May 2, 2014 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

How could Mrs B let her blood pressure go up over a crosssword clue ?Actually I think the word refers to “seres”, which are levels covered by the incoming tides on a beach for ecologists ?Actually I think I am totally confused.

9. Carrie
    Posted May 2, 2014 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Just picked up the crossword. It’s been a difficult week, my mother is unwell and reluctant to take any medical advice regarding improving her condition. Thankfully she is calmer/more stable and I can take some time out to focus on today’s crossword.

Posted May 2, 2014 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

I’m sorry your mother is poorly and understand completely how difficult it can be – do hope that things carry on improving for her and you.

• Carrie
        Posted May 2, 2014 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

10. Wahoo
    Posted May 2, 2014 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

A great puzzle just into 2** for difficulty – delayed with 25a (good opening misdirection) and 19d (because I over complicated the reading of the clue looking for something to do with death!). Thanks to Giovannia and DT.

Visiting the UK in a week’s time so keep the weather reports coming please! A balmy 31 degrees (C!) here.

11. SheilaP
    Posted May 2, 2014 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

I thought there were some clever clues and one or two which were a bit iffy. I wonder just when it was that romantic meant wild? Anyway we found it quite hard and needed a fair bit of help from DT so thank you very much, and thank you to the setter, but you are too clever for us. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_scratch.gif

12. BigBoab
    Posted May 2, 2014 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

Thanks to giovanni and DT, enjoyable enough crossword and an entertaining review.

13. Angel
    Posted May 2, 2014 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

Good fun and a bit of a challenge – thanks setter and DT. ***/***. 6d and 22d amused and 19d helps to increase my vocabulary but agree that 12a is dubious.

Posted May 2, 2014 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

I’m with Kath on this one with a rating of 4*/3*. Parts of this were very tough but I did find it much more enjoyable than usual for a Friday. I even thought it might be obscurity-free but 19d, which was my last one in (and only completed after looking at DT’s hint), knocked that notion on the head.

Many thanks to the Don and to DT.

15. Dutch
    Posted May 2, 2014 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

Really Needed the cross clues today, wasn’t the first bird I thought of in 18 down or the first watery that came to mind for 19d, nor the first meaning of wild for that matter in 1d. For 19d, it helped me guessing the last letter would be an S ( reverse plural in the cross clue 26a) . Favourite clues 11a and 12 a, I thought they were clever all-in-one clues. Last entry 10a – again, not the first synonym to come to mind. Thanks for a nice puzzle.

16. bifield
    Posted May 2, 2014 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

The first anagram I came up with for 13d had nothing to do with designers but it made me laugh. Overall I found it a bit more difficult than usual for a Friday but completed in 3* time. Thanks to The Don and to Deep Threat for the review.

Posted May 2, 2014 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Now I want to know what your first anagram for 13d was – I’m all for having a laugh.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

Posted May 2, 2014 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

lap dancers?

Posted May 2, 2014 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

I too found it really quite difficult and accepted a couple of hints.Still I loved 11a and 15a and 5d amoung others Thanks Giovanni and DT.

18. A G Brown
    Posted May 2, 2014 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Did I not like that had to get help thanks D T don,t like getting aid but was bogged down .Weather is improving ,look on the bright side ,tomorrow is another day

19. Annidrum
    Posted May 2, 2014 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

I found that quite difficult today and had to give in and look for for a couple of hints ,so thanks DT. I like the word “romantic” and would never have considered it a synonym of wild and I feel quite disappointed to find it is.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

• Bluebird
      Posted May 2, 2014 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

Gertrude Jekyll’s planting has been described using both adjectives, although, of course the description “wild” in her case would be ” designer” wild, rather than genuinely wild.

Posted May 2, 2014 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

Thank you DG, took us a while, but got there in the end. New words as usual for a Friday puzzle. On Wednesday I thought that the puzzles were getting harder as the week progresses – and nothing has happened to change my view. All good fun though. Thank you DT for your review and hints. A lovely sunny day in Suffolk – Honesthttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_biggrin.gif ( my first use of an emoticon – hope it works )

Posted May 2, 2014 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

Was slogging along with this, not doing very well, when the workers next door (building a brand-new house) managed to sever the gas line so we all had to get out. Did it ever make a huge whooshing sound and the stink was awful. Three fire engines and several police cars later, we were able to return home. The dogs very bored at having to hang around in the street. I am far, far too old for such excitements!

Crossword: Very difficult, never did get 19d and 21d. Fave 11a. I did enjoy though, so thanks to DG and DT for review. I think it’s time to get in the pool and relax.

Posted May 2, 2014 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

Oh dear – poor you – sounds as if you’ve had a very “exciting” day. It must have been a bit scary too – I don’t care for gas, water and electricity, mainly because I don’t understand any of them and when they go wrong they can have such disastrous results. I hope you and your dogs have now recovered.
      I thought today’s was very difficult too.

22. Carrie
    Posted May 2, 2014 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

I especially love a crossword when I learn new words or facts. I did not know the regiment referred to as jollies and 19d is a new word (for me)

Like 9a and 17a.

Thank you setter for enjoyable crossword and DT for hints

Posted May 2, 2014 at 11:41 pm | Permalink

I got hung up in the SE corner and needed a DT hint to complete, so l can’t assess this at less than 3.5* for difficulty. I’d never heard of 19 d either, so that didn’t help. Nice one, Giovanni, and l can only apologise to any ladies present for the fact that my favourite was 6d! Thanks too to DT for getting me over the line.

Posted May 3, 2014 at 12:35 am | Permalink

Thanks to Giovanni and to Deep Threat for the review and hints. A very enjoyable puzzle. Was beaten by 10a. Was 3 */3* for me. Late commenting due to the Reading Beer Festival.

25. Tstrummer
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 1:42 am | Permalink

Started this one at work and got nowhere fast. Came home and filled it in in no time at all. Funny how some places are better than others for solving crosswords. I can’t do them on planes or trains, for example, but on the sofa with a pint to hand and the freedom to smoke, it becomes so much easier (mostly). Thanks to DG for the clues (esp 11a and 6d) and to DT for the well-illustrated review. 3*/3*