Sloggers and Betters 10

Sloggers and Betters 10

What? The 10th annual “Sloggers and Betters” gathering for crossword setters and blog contributors and readers will take place in London, following on, as in previous years, from the annual lunch for Times setters.

When? 4:00pm onwards on Wednesday 14th May 2014.

Where?

London – meeting at the The Town of Ramsgate, Wapping

The Town of Ramsgate, 62 Wapping High Street, London, E1W 2PN

And later? Anyone still standing will be heading towards a nearby restaurant.

Who? Anyone who is interested.

Why? It is hoped that most of the Times setters and several of the Telegraph, Guardian, Independent and FT setters will put in an appearance. There should also be a cross-section of bloggers and readers from this site, Times for the Times and Fifteensquared. This is your chance to meet us!

How? You can just turn up on the day, but feel free to indicate your intentions by leaving a comment.

If you’ve never been before, these are very friendly functions and you have the opportunity to meet other like-minded people.

Posted April 16, 2014 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

Day off already booked – just trying to decide what to do in the morning to get full value from my rail ticket.

• Expat Chris
      Posted April 17, 2014 at 3:23 am | Permalink

Matisse cut-outs exhibit? Stunning.

2. bifield
    Posted April 16, 2014 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

Unfortunately I will be out of the country on that date but I will definitely come to another of these get-togethers some time in the future.

3. andy
    Posted April 16, 2014 at 9:53 pm | Permalink

Huge favours already called in to look after Cynthia and Cuthbert for the Derby do on the 17th, shall try to be there for this one but doubt it :(

4. gnomethang
    Posted April 16, 2014 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

If I am working anywhere near I shall be there.

5. Miffypops
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 12:50 am | Permalink

There is an outside chance that I will be able to make this. If Saint Sharon puts the kybosh on it I will definately be there.

6. Tstrummer
    Posted April 18, 2014 at 12:55 am | Permalink

This is just around the corner from my office but, annoyingly, I shall be working from 4.30pm until 12.30am, so will unlikely to make it,. I can, however, heartily recommend Il Bordello Italian restaurant about 250 yards east on the other side of the road. The portions are delicious and vast, the staff friendly and the prices almost acceptable. Just preload with alcohol to avoid restaurant prices.

Posted April 18, 2014 at 10:44 am | Permalink

some of us are bound to be there long before 4 – why not pop round and say hello?

• Tstrummer
        Posted April 21, 2014 at 11:38 pm | Permalink

I’ll do my best, if only for half an hour or so. Won’t be able to drink though, not with the toad work squatting on my shoulders

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted April 18, 2014 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

I’m with you on Il Bordello! Wonderful restaurant – in spite of its name. You could never possibly leave there hungry.

• Tstrummer
        Posted April 21, 2014 at 11:40 pm | Permalink

Exactly. My tip is don’t have a starter, because if you have a starter and a main course, you will need to be carried to the station on a sack truck

• Rabbit Dave
          Posted April 22, 2014 at 11:34 am | Permalink

And don’t even think about calzone for the main course. One portion is more than enough for four people!

7. Jason
    Posted April 30, 2014 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

I can’t make it I’m afraid, but I’ll try and make one in the future, I really enjoyed the one in The Cornubia.

8. Dutch
    Posted May 1, 2014 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Just bought rail ticket for this, coming from macclesfield near manchester. I’m a newbie compiler-wannabe ( no experience yet), and am looking forward to meeting you guys. Richard.

• Posted May 1, 2014 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Dutch

I’m sure that you won’t be disappointed.

9. Andy Wallace
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

I’ll try and make a detour on the way home from work, but probably won’t be able to stay all night. I’ll be going to Derby on the Saturday too though.

• Posted May 5, 2014 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Welcome to our blog Andy

[For those of you that don’t already know, Andy runs the Times for the Times website.]

10. Brendan
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

I live in Wapping so will see you all there.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

11. Miffypops
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 12:12 am | Permalink

Saint Sharon says No way Hose. See you there then.

12. Vigo
    Posted May 13, 2014 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

Really hoping to join you but will probably not be able to get there until after 8 as I have an extra child staying due to unforeseen circumstances and don’t feel I can delegate bath and bedtime in this instance. Will you still be there later on?

13. RobF
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 10:39 pm | Permalink

Just got home from the Sloggers & Betters. Thanks to everyone for making me so welcome – it was so nice to meet you all and put faces to the pseudonyms. To the setters, I look forward to tackling the fruits of your labours with a new insight, and In the future I’ll try to be more of a blogger than a lurker The evening was capped off by Tower Bridge opening as I was crossing it on my bike on the way home – an amazing sight, as well as a fantastic piece of engineering. Thankfully, despite the full moon, I wasn’t tempted to try to recreate the ET bike-jump scene…!! See you all next time.