Cruciverbalist Convention (Feb 2014)

Cruciverbalist Convention

+ – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

5 Years Old

It really doesn’t seem like 5 years since I started this blog, but the time to celebrate has come round again.  This time we have decided to get together in Bristol on the 8th February – any time between 12noon and 7.00pm – at The Cornubia in Temple Street, which is within 10 minutes walk of Temple Meads Station.

The Cornubia

142 Temple St, Bristol, Avon BS1 6EN ‎

From Temple Meads Station cross into Victoria Street, go past the Novatel Hotel and the Kings Head and turn right into Temple Street.  The road bends left and you will find The Cornubia on the left, set back from the road and hidden from view until you are nearly there.  It has an excellent selection of Real Ales and Ciders, and is CAMRA listed.  The food is somewhat limited – traditional Cornish Pasties and hand-made pork pies with a wide selection of chutneys and pickles – but this is a small price to pay to have such an excellent range of beers.  Although the pub is not very large, there is an adjacent heated and covered area should our numbers exceed predictions.

As well as myself, Bufo, Crypticsue, Gazza, Gnomethang, and Prolixic have already indicated that they intend to be there.  All are invited, but it will help Crypticsue to decide on how big a cake to bake if you leave us a comment.

Simple Google Map

1. McMillibar
    Posted January 19, 2014 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

Hi Dave,
    I would like to but don’t know about my schedule yet for Feb. I will soon though.
    Will pencil that in.. not a lot of use for your numbers but it’s the best I can do.

• McMillibar
      Posted January 26, 2014 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Have my diary fixed now and arrive back from Jo’Burg that am. If I were to try to make it I would be there in body only. Next time maybe. Have a great day all.

2. Lancastrian Bluenose
    Posted January 19, 2014 at 8:20 pm | Permalink

Hi Dave

I will be there.

Regards
    Colin

• Posted January 19, 2014 at 8:23 pm | Permalink

That’s great news Colin.

When is your Mastermind semi-final being shown?

Posted January 19, 2014 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cry.gifI can’t do 8th February – we have ten people coming for supper – only arranged two days ago. I will be there in spirit and hoping that you all have a really good day.

4. Nubian
    Posted January 20, 2014 at 9:21 am | Permalink

Have a great day Dave, still following you in the background. Congratulations on another birthday.

5. bifield
    Posted January 20, 2014 at 10:46 am | Permalink

Not far from my home so barring any major disasters I will certainly be there. It will be nice to meet some of the bloggers. Not too much cake for me, I don’t have a sweet tooth.

6. andy
    Posted January 20, 2014 at 10:53 am | Permalink

Look forward to seeing you all there. I can remember the 3rd birthday at Bridge House, where do the years go :)

7. spindrift
    Posted January 20, 2014 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

A bit of a schlep from West Bridgford to Bristol so I won’t be there. I hope everyone enjoys the occasion though & raises a glass (or two) to the big fella!.

8. Coconut
    Posted January 20, 2014 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

Hi Dave, are part-timers allowed as well? :) I am in Brisle and as long as there is coffee can eat cake. Still following but by the time my wheels have ground it is usually too late for a relevant posting. Just finished NW corner of Friday’s with your blogs help! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cry.gif

• Posted January 20, 2014 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Of course you can – there’s no restriction on who can come.

9. gnomethang
    Posted January 21, 2014 at 11:45 am | Permalink

I’ve just booked the train – in to Bristol Temple MEads 11:42 and back out at 17:30. See you all there!

• andy
      Posted January 21, 2014 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

My trains will be about 4hrs each way via Kings X and paddington, so much easier Norf Sarf than East west, but it’ll be worth it.

• gnomethang
        Posted January 22, 2014 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

Andy, I don’t suppose you are on similar trains? If so I’ll meet you chez Paddington or KingsX. I go to Saint Pancras then over on the Circle/Metropolitan line.

• Prolixic
          Posted January 22, 2014 at 8:32 pm | Permalink

If all goes to plan, I will gatecrash your party at Reading.

Posted January 22, 2014 at 8:59 pm | Permalink

And I’ll be getting on the same train but at Swindon !

• gnomethang
              Posted January 22, 2014 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

Coach D Seat 56 for me. You can’t have that one!

• gnomethang
                Posted January 30, 2014 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

Correction. C12 down and D56 up.

• andy
      Posted January 22, 2014 at 10:00 pm | Permalink

Not booked yet just been checking routes, will make sure I’m on the same train from Paddington. Will make contact when plans made.

• gnomethang
        Posted January 24, 2014 at 11:03 pm | Permalink

Ace – Andy I have one left over unknown andy on my phone and I dont think it is you. Pls give me a shout on travel (or at least share number for curry/taxis !

10. skempie
    Posted January 21, 2014 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Hope to be there, just need to decide whether to take the car, the bus or the phone (as in ‘Honey, any chance of a lift pretty please’)

• Posted January 22, 2014 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

Parking might be a bit expensive – the car park adjacent to the station charges £2.00 fro 2 hours, £4.50 for 4 hours and £9.00 all day. By comparison, my train fare (with Senior Railcard) from Great Malvern is £10.55 return.

• skempie
        Posted January 23, 2014 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

That’s quite cheap for Bristol, might talk Mrs skempie into dropping me off

• Posted January 23, 2014 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

It will be great to see so many new faces (and the old ones!).

11. Brian Greer
    Posted January 24, 2014 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

Have a great time. I will be in Kells Irish pub in Portland watching Ireland play Wales.

Maybe someone can raise a glass to Mike Gibson who, on the 8th February, 1964, played his first game for Ireland against England at Twickenham. Ireland won 18-5, including the famous cross-over try finishing between the posts behind which I was standing.

12. Vigo
    Posted January 25, 2014 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

Sadly I won’t be able to join you as we have children’s parties and theatre tickets tying us to London that day. I’ll be thinking of you all as I enjoy Mr Marvel’s magic and puppet show!

13. Gerry
    Posted January 25, 2014 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

I’d love to be there but unfortunately am working. I hope it’s a great day!

14. Jeff
    Posted January 25, 2014 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

Really miss the real ale, but it is too far to come from Spain

Posted January 25, 2014 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Jeff.

15. Jason
    Posted January 27, 2014 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

I don’t know any of you but I like this post so I’ll try to come along. No idea where The Cornubia is though (we tend to drink round St Michael’s hill).

• Posted January 27, 2014 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Jason

There’s a map and directions on this post – i hope you can find us

16. andynew2
    Posted January 29, 2014 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

As I live in Bristol, I have no excuse not to be there too.

17. Roydo
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Does anyone mind me asking what goes on a at such a convention? Do folks just pop in for an hour or so, have a drink, meet fellow crossword enthusiasts from here, or is there more to it?

I am close to Bristol, so am tempted to pop along!

• Posted February 3, 2014 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

It’s just an excuse to have a few bevvies – so pop in and stay as long (or short) as you like.

• Roydo
        Posted February 3, 2014 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

Well that sounds like fun!

I had this image of loads of us just doing crosswords for 7 hours!

Will check with work, and hopefully make an appearance.

Thanks Dave.

• gnomethang
          Posted February 3, 2014 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

As Dave says – meet and greet with online and real friends. Its a fine day.

18. Tstrummer
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 2:26 am | Permalink

I’d love to come, but that will depend on me persuading my dearest to drive me down from London – I can’t drive myself if there’s all that beer to be sampled. This site attracts the nicest people, so I know she would be welcome too, although her crossword expertise is confined to the Saturday general knowledge one. Pencil me in for pork pie and pickles.

19. Miffypops
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 10:53 am | Permalink

The prospect of my pub being full for an afternoon and evening of Rugby and with the Scotland England game kicking off at 5.00pm means I will not be able to make it. With 12 real ales and 5 scrumpy ciders to try it is probably best that I don’t although I will do my best to drink the equivalent. I hope all those that do get there have a lot of fun and enjoy meeting up with like minded people. It is always nice to put names and faces together. Maybe next time. Sorry

20. mary
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 10:58 am | Permalink

Hope everyone has a great day, sounds like real fun http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

• mary
      Posted February 4, 2014 at 11:21 am | Permalink

I really wish I was coming but I would drive myself and everyone around me crazy with this cough!!!!

Posted February 4, 2014 at 11:35 am | Permalink

Get yourself some Allens Pine and Honey Balsam (Sainsburys have it) – it is one of those foul old-fashioned cough mixtures that makes your body decide that if it has come to having to take that, it will get better. I can always tell that No2 son is really poorly when he takes to what we call the ‘brown jollop’

21. williamus
    Posted February 6, 2014 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

Hi Dave

Apologies for the late post, but I’m “unexpectedly available” on Saturday. Can I come too, please?

Armed with a complimentary London Midland day rover from Birmingham and a day return from Worcester to Bristol Temple Meads, I can complete the journey for £8.40… how good’s that? It’s a much longer way round and a tad more basic than the Crosscountry version but it’ll give me longer to do the crossword without being interrupted by all that complimentary refreshment business… however I shall be ready for a pie and a pint (or two) by around 12:45.

Cheers

Jon

• Prolixic
      Posted February 6, 2014 at 9:22 pm | Permalink

Jon,

You will be welcomed with open arms, a pint of beer and a slice of celebration cake – Crypticsue is being very coy about her work of art but has been muttering darkly about the embellishments!

The invite is to everyone who lurks, blogs, comments, etc. The more the merrier.

• Posted February 6, 2014 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

I can’t emphasis it enough – all are very welcome.

• gnomethang
      Posted February 6, 2014 at 10:38 pm | Permalink

Veto that – you can’t come.
      Only joking! Look forward to seeing you!

Posted February 6, 2014 at 9:59 pm | Permalink

We are soooo envious of you all. Have a really great time and take lots of pictures for us to look at. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

• Posted February 6, 2014 at 10:43 pm | Permalink

BD got a new camera for Christmas and is looking forward to using it.

Posted February 7, 2014 at 9:01 am | Permalink

BD still hasn’t put the Centenary celebration pics in the Gallery!

• andy
          Posted February 7, 2014 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Nor Elgars 50th….

Posted February 7, 2014 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

But has he learnt how to use it yet? Only joking – please take lots of piccies then all of us who can’t be there can look at them.
        I hope everyone has a really good time – Happy Birthday to this brilliant blog.

• Posted February 7, 2014 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

I’ve taken a couple of dozen test shots, but have not used it for real!

23. Hieroglyph
    Posted February 8, 2014 at 8:31 am | Permalink

Hi all, I’m afraid I can’t make this today, but hope you all have a cracking time. Congratulations to Big Dave & all the sloggers and betters for reaching the five year mark! Hope to be at the next celebration :-)

24. Vigo
    Posted February 8, 2014 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Have a great day. Happy Birthday blog. V x

25. bifield
    Posted February 8, 2014 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

Have just returned home from this celebration and I was made most wecome. Anybody who is cocerned about going to one of these affairs should not worry, please come and I can assure you. you will have a good time and leave with pleasant memories.

26. Tstrummer
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 12:52 am | Permalink

Thirded!

27. williamus
    Posted February 10, 2014 at 1:59 am | Permalink

A slightly belated thank you to Big Dave for an excellent day on Saturday. It was really good to put faces to so many names. Although nobody was bragging about how many puzzles they did or how quickly they did them (no… honestly) it was humbling to be in the presence of such an exalted company. A memorable day combining an interesting railway journey, a couple of Geocaches, an overdue visit to the derelict (but awesome) Temple Church, wonderful ales & pies in a lovely pub and, of course, the opportunity to meet Big Dave and his merry band of bloggers. Not to mention the Rugby result! Can it get any better? Well, there’s always Mr Squires’ puzzle to look forward to later on :-)

• andy
      Posted February 11, 2014 at 11:30 pm | Permalink

As a mere commenter Williamus I can only echo your sentiments. A good day had by all methinks.

28. Jason
    Posted February 11, 2014 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

Hi, sorry for the late reply, I really enjoyed and it was nice to meet you all. Looking forward to the next one (are they usually in London?) already. And great to meet Big Dave, especially since his alma mata is my current post. See you next time.

• andy
      Posted February 11, 2014 at 11:22 pm | Permalink

Good to see you too. Not always London, watch the “upcoming events” top right under calendar. Cheers