DT 27361 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 27361 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Crossword Club

Don’t forget the December Prize Puzzle.

Congratulations to Hieroglyph on his national debut in The Independent today.  Online users will have to wait a further week as the Indy doesn’t publish prize puzzles on their website until after the closing date.  His NTSPP puzzle, originally scheduled for today, has, by mutual consent, been postponed until a later date.  His next NTSPP puzzle will be a New Year special on 4th January 2014.

Could new readers please read the Welcome post and the FAQ before asking questions about the site.

Some hints follow:

1a           One might have stock to sell (7)
A cryptic definition of someone who might sell garden plants like Virginia stocks

5a           Muslim leader’s free to make a comeback somewhere in Morocco (6)
A Muslim leader followed by the reversal (to make a comeback) of a verb meaning to free

11a         Off hurried Spanish hero (6)
A verb meaning hurried by an 11th Century Spanish hero

12a         Article about unknown author (4)
The two-letter indefinite article followed by a word meaning about

13a         Made more sour beer in Eastern Mediterranean (10)
Some beer inside E(astern) MED(iterranean)

17a         Dismantle empty box, revealing series of drawings (5,7)
a verb meaning to dismantle followed by a box with O (nothing) inside it (empty)

21a         Bridge — after shuffle, ace is held by academic or cleric (10)
A bridge followed by an anagram (after shuffle) of ACE inside (held by) an academic

24a         Strike loafer (8)
Split as (3,5) this means to strike or attack someone) violently

26a         Learner left daughter by waterway (1-6)
L(eft) and D(aughter) followed by a waterway

2d           The Parisian seller’s perfume (8)
The French definite article followed by the alternative spelling of a seller

3d           About to organise second showing (5)
A two-letter word meaning about followed by a verb meaning to organize

4d           Common plant in the main? (7)
A cryptic definition of a plant found in the ocean (main)

10d         Diving boat on river trapped by current from a hot region (11)
The three-letter abbreviation for a diving boat followed by R(iver) inside an adjective meaning current or up-to-date

18d         Hastily announce: ‘Dance cancelled’ (4,3)
A Scottish dance followed by a word meaning cancelled or postponed

22d         Originally desert, ultimately becoming an international Gulf city (5)
The initial letters (originally) of five words in the clue

The Crossword Club is now open. Feel free to leave comments.

The Quick crossword pun:  {camp} + {Anne}+ {ology} = {campanology}

1. Collywobbles
    Posted December 14, 2013 at 11:25 am | Permalink

BD, I have trouble seeing the printed puzzle and the other day you did it for me. Can you tell me how you did it?

• Posted December 14, 2013 at 11:28 am | Permalink

I told you in my comment – i took a screen print and edited it offline. It would take ages to explain fully, and you may have different software available anyway (I use Microsoft Office 2010 Picture Editor).

• Collywobbles
        Posted December 14, 2013 at 11:31 am | Permalink

All I wanted to know is how you took the screen print

• Jezza
          Posted December 14, 2013 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Try pressing the button on the keyboard that says Print Screen, then paste it into an application such as Paint.

• Collywobbles
            Posted December 14, 2013 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Many thanks Jezza for your help

• Collywobbles
              Posted December 14, 2013 at 11:56 am | Permalink

I’ve just tried it Jezza and it works. I’ve got a nice big copy and I can read the clues properly. Many thanks for being so helpful

• Tantalus
                Posted December 14, 2013 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

And on mac try Command Shift 3. (I think – too cold here in Boston for me to leave my nice warm bed and Mrs T to check).

• Catnap
                Posted December 19, 2013 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Well done, Collywobbles.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_lol.gif Am getting sore eyes from these puzzles, especially the Sunday ones which are miniscule. My laptop simply will not do a print screen/screen dump. It never has! Maybe ‘cos it’s Vista!!! Back to the magnifying glass… http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

Posted December 14, 2013 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Thank you setter. Thank heavens for anagrams – enabled me to get a start. Thanks BD for your hints and dedication to the task !

3. Caravaggio
    Posted December 14, 2013 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Like Sweet William, I saw the anagrams fairly quickly and everything else seemed to fall into place with little difficulty. May I take this opportunity to wish the Compliments of the Season to Dave and to the other contributors to this wonderful site.

4. simon power
    Posted December 14, 2013 at 11:50 am | Permalink

agree with sweet william. the anagrams started me off and then forward from then on. many thanks to all on this site.

Posted December 14, 2013 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

A very enjoyable but untaxing puzzle on a pleasant Saturday morning here in London. My rating is */***

I was initially flummoxed by 2d because I have always spelled the seller in question with a different penultimate letter, but, as confirmed in the BRB and mentioned by BD in his hints, there are two spellings.

11a was my last one in as I was mislead by “Spanish hero”. I thought his appellation was always two words not just the second one.

Many thanks to Mr. Ron and to BD

• Posted December 14, 2013 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

The first word of the Spanish hero’s name is the Spanish for “The”, so it’s a bit like dropping “The” from “The Times”.

Posted December 14, 2013 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

A fairly typical Saturday puzzle just right in the middle of a busy day. Thanks to Cephas and BD.

I can recommend the NTSPP – it is ‘different’ but very satisfying when you finish it.

• Toni
      Posted December 14, 2013 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

Please could you help me get the NTSPP. I have across lite on my ipad but since the operating system iOS 7 update, it just says “download” failed when I try to get it. Thanks to anyone who can help.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

Posted December 14, 2013 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

I have emailed you a pdf which if you can print it off, is the best way to solve this particular NTSPP

• Toni
          Posted December 14, 2013 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

Thanks a lot. I can’t print from the ipad but I can pick my emails on the laptop.

7. Angel
    Posted December 14, 2013 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Another entertaining Saturday romp without much call for cerebral exercise. Thank you Cephas and BD although hints not needed. Now no excuse for not getting on with boring task of writing Christmas cards – better late than never! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

Posted December 14, 2013 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Good luck with the Christmas cards. I took mine to the post box yesterday on my way to do some shopping – unfortunately I had my shopping list in my hand while I was posting the cards . . . http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_rolleyes.gif

• Rabbit Dave
        Posted December 14, 2013 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

I made a bigger faux pas a few days ago. I split my cards into two – UK ones, on which I had put stamps, and overseas ones, which I needed to take the Post Office to get weighed and stamped. I scooped them all up, walked to our local Post Office and put all my cards in the pillar box outside. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_redface.gif

Feeling very stupid I confessed all to the postmaster. Fortunately, as a regular customer there for over ten years, I knew him very well, and he turned out to be a good samaritan. He asked me how many unstamped overseas cards I had put in the box and said he would ask the postman to look out for them during the next collection which was due imminently. I went back a couple of hours later and he had kept them aside for me!

Long live local Post Offices!

I wonder if he would he have been so obliging if I had posted a shopping list by mistake http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_question.gif

Posted December 14, 2013 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

What a nice postmaster – lucky old you.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

Posted December 14, 2013 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

. . . not that I’d ever dream of calling anyone old!

• Angel
          Posted December 14, 2013 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Giving myself 5 minutes to recover from writer’s cramp! Unfortunately a cri de coeur calling “long live local Post Offices” doesn’t always work – we’ve lost ours in the village but fortunately still have a small shop and a separate renowned first-rate butcher – long live both of those, I say, because a vast Tesco’s is perilously close. Hope you/Santa Claus managed to remember all the shopping items you needed, Kath! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

• Tantalus
            Posted December 15, 2013 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

Hambleden?

• Hrothgar
          Posted December 14, 2013 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

I posted a birthday card which I didn’t mean to once.
          I went to the local sorting office, 2 miles away, and they said come back in six hours time.
          I did, and they gave it to me.
          Good old Royal Mail.
          Phew!!

Posted December 14, 2013 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

Superb puzzle, thoroughly enjoyable. Nice mix of easier clues to get you going and some trickier ones to make you think. Best clue for me def 1a, thought of every meaning for stock except the correct one! Last one in but worth waiting for.
    Many Thx to the new setter and of course to BD for hints which today were not needed.. Hope Kath gets time to do this one, I feel she would also enjoy it. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

Posted December 14, 2013 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

The ‘new’ setter is in the Independent. I think today’s DT is by Cephas.

• Rabbit Dave
        Posted December 14, 2013 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

Like Brian I misinterpreted BD’s remark as meaning today’s DT puzzle was set by Hieroglyph, so I was puzzled when both you and Angel thanked Cephas.

All is now clear, thank you.

Posted December 14, 2013 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Just me then? I found this quite tricky while I was doing it but can’t quite see why now that I’ve finished it.
    I completely missed 9a and so that, and consequently 2d, were my last two answers – don’t ask me why – neither was very difficult.
    I also missed the first letter bit of 22d so, although it couldn’t have been anything else, I didn’t see why for ages.
    I enjoyed the battle with this one and thought there were some good clues.
    I liked 1, 17 and 23a and 10d. My favourite was 24a – even that took me a long time – think I’m having another dim day!
    With thanks to Cephas (CS seems to think this is one of his – don’t know how she knows but she’s usually right) and BD.

NTSPP looks a bit scary but will have a go later.
    Congratulations to Hieroglyph.

Posted December 14, 2013 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

The DT Saturday puzzles usually run Cephas then Mysteron. The blogging rota is two weeks of Saturdays, then two weeks of Sundays. The changeover matches the Telegraph ‘rota’ so I should be blogging today’s Cephas puzzle and next Saturday’s Mysteron puzzle, while reminding Gnomey from time to time about his Sunday puzzle blogging duties http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

Posted December 14, 2013 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Blimey – that all sounds terribly complicated to me.

Posted December 14, 2013 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

Hence the http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif although as Gnomey’s working all weekend he’ll miss the significance!

10. McMillibar
    Posted December 14, 2013 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

An easy puzzle */*** after yesterday’s which I spent a quick ten minutes with and then ran away from. With the ipad it’s a doddle to enter the comp – no need to break out the fountain pen out and lick stamps. Son and I are cooking (or trying to) this evening so first, its off for a bit of hunter-gathering at the supermarket. Have a good w/e everyone.

11. pommers
    Posted December 14, 2013 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

We thought this was going to put up a fair old fight after only getting 4 of the acrosses on first pass! Fortunately the downs came to the rescue (9) and then it all fell together nicely.
    **/**** from us with 17a favourite.

Thanks to setter and BD

Congrats to Hieroglyph, looking forward to next Saturday.
    Now for the NTSPP!

12. james
    Posted December 14, 2013 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Maybe it’s my phone but hints to 6d and 8d are missing.
    Great help as ever!

• james
      Posted December 14, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Sorry, it’s Saturday. I’ll go back to bed.

Posted December 14, 2013 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

james,
      You’ve changed your alias so these two comments needed moderation. Both aliases should work from now on.

13. SheilaP
    Posted December 14, 2013 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable puzzle today. I liked 11a because it was so easy & not very cryptic. Some of the others though took a bit of working out. Thank you BD, again!! & to the setter of course. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_mail.gif

14. Magmull
    Posted December 14, 2013 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

Can anyone tell me why the setters of the cryptic are not given their due acknowledgment? They appear to be known and recognised by all you clever clogs, so it can’t be a secret – or not much of a one, anyway. The toughie publishes the names of its contributors, so why not the cryptic? Is it some esoteric convention from time immemorial? Only askin’.

Posted December 14, 2013 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

Who sets the crosswords each day is in the FAQ bit at the top. I could spot a Ray T puzzle a mile off because he does have lots of trademarks but he’s about the only one I recognise easily – he sets alternate Thursday crosswords, well, roughly alternate – sometimes there’s a gap and then occasionally there are two of his in a row – I think they do it to confuse us!
      I’ve also often wondered why the setter’s name isn’t in the paper – most of the other papers seem to do it.

• Tantalus
      Posted December 14, 2013 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Praise from a stranger is like Rabbit Dave’s unstamped cards. It’s the thought that counts!

Posted December 14, 2013 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

What a difference to yesterday, loved it! No problems and just enough to make me work for the answers. Perfect! Thanks BD for your review, not needed today. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

16. Little Dave
    Posted December 14, 2013 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

All over rather too quickly and done while listening to the football. Did anyone else have a cartoon character in the paper grid today – SW corner? What is the significance? I have not seen this done before. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

17. Dawn
    Posted December 14, 2013 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

NE corner took me too long and last lot of clues in. Bottom half went in like a dream.

After checking with Dad and being told my answer was not what he had, the penny dropped and I staggered to the finish :-)

Thanks as ever to BD for the hints, most of which I didn’t need for once, but very grateful they’re there.

Posted December 14, 2013 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

All done now, although the north -east corner held me up.I think I have 20d right, but I don’t understand or see any connection to the word I have and study.There is a fish in my answer.Thanks to Big Dave and Cephas. It is amazing how often we meet that cleric in 21a, although I’ve never actually met one.

Posted December 14, 2013 at 8:33 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Cephas and to Big Dave for the hints. A very enjoyable puzzle, a bit tricky in places, I needed the hint for 1a, not being a gardener, I’d never heard of that context of stock. Also needed the hint for 3d. Favourite was 2d. Was 2*/3* for me. Officials did no favours whatsoever to the Gooners in Manchester. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_negative.gif

20. stanXYZ
    Posted December 14, 2013 at 11:11 pm | Permalink

A very enjoyable crossword today from ?.

But now back to the serious stuff – MPP -19 by Radler.

I still can’t finish it – but my abacus is nearly ready!

Posted December 14, 2013 at 11:34 pm | Permalink

I’m completely resigned to being unable to do this one – I have three answers so far. I always find Radler’s puzzles difficult at the best of times – bunging in two languages that I can’t do at all make it not the best of times but might have another go over the next few days.

21. Hieroglyph
    Posted December 15, 2013 at 11:32 pm | Permalink

Many thanks for the congratulations. Look forward to gracing these pages again in January! :-)

• Catnap
      Posted December 16, 2013 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Congratulations, Hieroglyph!http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gifHave just completed your super Indy puzzle. Wonderful! Greatly looking forward to your New Year Special…

22. Catnap
    Posted December 19, 2013 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

Thought this a rather delightful puzzle.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_biggrin.gifJoint faves 2d and 11a. Didn’t need Big Dave’s excellent hints, but appreciate them nonetheless. (Apologies for the late posting of this comment.)
    Thank you both very much, Cephas and Big Dave.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif