ST 2720 (Hints)

Sunday Telegraph Cryptic No 2720 (Hints)

Hints and tips by Big Dave

There is still no word from Telegraph Towers as to the cause of the outage which has hit the online puzzle site.  Surely as subscribers we deserve some sort of explanation for the loss of the service for which we have all paid.

As is usual for the weekend prize crosswords, I will select a number of the more difficult clues and provide hints for them.

Could new readers please read the Welcome post and the FAQ before asking questions about the site.

Most of the terms used in these hints are explained in the Glossary and examples are available by clicking on the entry under “See also”. Definitions are underlined in the clues.

7a           Salt retained by exposed crustacean (8)
The chemical formula for salt inside an adjective meaning exposed

10a         Ignorantly or carelessly, for example, one splits an infinitive (6)
Ignorantly or carelessly are examples of this part of speech which is often controversially used to split an infinitive, as in “to boldly go where no man has gone before”

12a         Bit of brass tool used by meteorologist (4,10)
This bit of brass is found in an orchestra, although it could be a tool used by a meteorologist

15a         Birdcage in store not broken (4)
Take a store of the kind found on nearly every high street and drop the hyphen (not broken)

17a         Followed, so to speak, religious work in area (5)
What sounds like (so to speak) a verb meaning followed is actually either a religious work or an area

23a         Record collection classical quartet stored in vaults (8)
The Roman numeral for four (classical quartet) inside some architectural vaults

28a         Alarming changes on border (8)
An anagram (changes) of ALARMING

1d           Knave covering king or queen – or ace, or ten … (4)
A knave around the Latin abbreviation for king or queen

3oman emperor’s head has been turned – it’s love (4)
Start with a Roman emperor and turn his first letter (head) through 90° (either way!)

5d           Coats painter put on fashionable pottery, we hear (8)

Rainwear

6d           Like behaviour of the kind that’s wrecked chair and other furniture (10)
An anagram (wrecked) of CHAIR followed by another item of furniture

16d         Play one’s part, with good casting (8)
A phrasal verb meaning tp play one’s part (5,2) followed by G(ood)

21d         Painter found in area south of Rio Grande, say (6)
A prominent Mexican painter is derived by putting A(rea) under (south of in a down clue) the type of geographical feature of which the Rio Grande is an example (say)

22d         A loose woman among one’s relations (6)
The A from the clue followed by a verb meaning to loose or free

26d         Pressure of part in theatre (4)
Hidden (part in) inside the clue

If you need further help then please ask and I will see what I can do.

Today it’s Happy Birthday to Bette Midler (68) and Woody Allen (78)
Bette Midler Woody Allen

Posted December 1, 2013 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

A little tricky in places, but an excellent puzzle! 3*/5* for me.
    Thanks to Virgilius, and to Big Dave for the hints.

2. Moja
    Posted December 1, 2013 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Another good ‘un today – with some unusual constructs. Loved 3d!
    4/4

3. Newminster
    Posted December 1, 2013 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

I had another go at the Telegraph about this breakdown but as usual got nowhere.
    As you point out, Dave, and Mrs N made the same point this morning, we are paying for this service and I would have thought we were at least entitled to some sort of progress report.
    I must say that the alternative download option for those of us who prefer to print the crosswords, etc. is excellent but that’s not really the point, is it?
    I don’t know whether their IT department is in-house or a contractor but either way a change is needed.

4. Derek
    Posted December 1, 2013 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable puzzle from the Sunday maestro.

Faves : 10a, 17a, 20a, 13d & 16d. 3d was a good laugh!

5. una
    Posted December 1, 2013 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Good but hard I thought. I didn’t get 1d until the hint.I loved 7a, 12a 19a and the artist clues amoung many others. Now I see the explanation, 3d is brilliant. I didn’t see the anagram in one of the longer across clues until after the event.Thanks to Virgilius and BD.

Posted December 1, 2013 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Wondered if it was our family playing Monopoly in the background with associated noise or whether the puzzle was a bit trickier than normal – so am relived to hear that others found it a bit harder than the usual Virgilius Sunday. Thank you Virgilius for the puzzle – a real battle ! and thanks Dave for the hints.

7. SheilaP
    Posted December 1, 2013 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

Got most of it done, but was glad when the hints appeared just to help finish it off. Thank you to the setter & to BD. Liked 20a, because the answer wasn’t what I was expecting. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_biggrin.gif

Posted December 1, 2013 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

Superb – and its my turn to enjoy it twice over http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

Posted December 1, 2013 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Virgilius and to Big Dave for the hints. A very enjoyable but tricky puzzle. I’ve used 4 hints so far. Did the top half ok, but struggling with the bottom half. Favourites were 7&12a. Was 4*/4* for me. Blue sky now in Central London.

Posted December 1, 2013 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

3.5*/4* rating today for yet another lovely Sunday puzzle.

I found the top half fairly straightforward, but the bottom half was much more of a challenge with 21d my last one in and I wasn’t 100% convinced my answer for this one was correct until I looked as BD’s hints.

I failed miserably with 3d and needed BD’s help to get this one.

I marked a lot of clues as especially good with 7a, 23a, 1d & 16d getting double asterisks.
    Now that I finally understand 3d that gets my vote as favourite.

Many thanks to Virgilius and to BD.

• spindrift
      Posted December 1, 2013 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

3d gets my vote too. Thanks to V & to BD as per.

I wonder if the site will be fixed tomorrow or if someone at the DT will strap a pair on & explain what has gone wrong, why it has gone wrong and, most importantly, when it is going to be fixed?

Posted December 1, 2013 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

That’s a pic of the DT puzzles IT person!

• Hrothgar
        Posted December 1, 2013 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

It seems that Customer Relations isn’t the DT’s strongest point.
        I find it incredible not to have even an update, let alone taking over a week to sought it out.
        Still, small mercies – at least we get a download.
        Perhaps one should contact Sark!

Posted December 1, 2013 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Took me a long time to get going and I finished without hints, but not without a good bit of effort. Some very clever clues. I absolutely loved 7A, 10A, 3D and 5D.

Many thanks to Virgilius for a lovely puzzle and to BD for the review.

12. stanXYZ
    Posted December 1, 2013 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

I always start the Sunday Virgilius by quickly scanning all the clues looking for his famous “hidden” ones.

25a – eluded me for quite some time today! Do’H!

A lot more difficult than usual … but as always … most enjoyable!

Posted December 1, 2013 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Blimey! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-phew.gif I’ve just been reminded of how difficult I used to find Sunday crosswords – in pre-blog days I would have given up but because of how much I’ve learnt I finished it.
    I’m glad it wasn’t just me who found it tricky today.
    I had three answers from the across clues but did the 10a form of 28a better with the downs. After that I did get going a bit but it’s taken me a long time.
    I’m slightly embarrassed to say that 2d was my last answer – perhaps not the most difficult clue but just couldn’t see it, or the first word of 12a, and lots of others too.
    I thought there were several very typical Virgilius clues.
    I liked far too many to put them all down so just a few are 7, 12 and 25a and 14d. My favourite is either 3 or 22d.
    With thanks to Virgilius and BD.

Posted December 1, 2013 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

PS 4* difficulty and 5* for enjoyment from me today. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif and http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

14. Roger
    Posted December 1, 2013 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

I received a boiler plate response (from a robot?) to an email I sent in to telegraphenquiries, I am not sure what annoys me most. Being taken for a fool or being lied to. They claim that the site is down for “essential site maintenance”. Now I like others who have been in IT know that the professional way to approach something like ‘essential site maintenance’ is to have a project plan. And that plan should have a Change Management component of which an essential part is ‘communication to end users’.

If it is ‘essential site maintenance’ then where is the project plan and why can’t they say how long it is going to take.

Someone tomorrow at the Telegraph is going to get their ear bent good and proper. It won’t be a call centre agent as it’s not down to them but I intend to push on as high as I can get because I am well and truly narked. I am going to insist on cancelling and a refund.

Posted December 1, 2013 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

This is a disease of techie progress … sorry, you IT types, but it is. Ever have a problem with the telephone company? You can’t get past the little dolly in Ulan Bator or Philippines. Or maybe a charge on your credit card that’s questionable? Same thing. I could go on and on. Good luck with getting to the top, ain’t going to happen I think.

• Robert Page
      Posted December 2, 2013 at 10:42 am | Permalink

Look forwarc to hear how you get on and if you hear from the BRAINS-l remember last time went on for yonks– if the Guardian can have a super online x word why the hellcant the DT :-(

Posted December 1, 2013 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Crikey, this was HARD, HARD, HARD! I never did get 15a or 16d. The top half was easier, relatively speaking, but I’ve now had enough, I’ll just revisit the missing two later and see if I can make sense of the hints. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-phew.gif

Posted December 1, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Sorry, manners … thanks to BD for hints and setter for making me sweat bullets today!

Posted December 1, 2013 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

I’m not doing down your crossword ability but as a US resident I’m not sure you will get 15a. I can’t even think of a different hint. Good luck. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif
      I’m just about to email Poppy.

Posted December 1, 2013 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

I did get both soon after my comment, by getting 16d first, then the other popped in. I agree, being this side of the pond, 15a is not really a familiar. Let us know what Poppy says, thanks.

• Expat Chris
        Posted December 1, 2013 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

I’m a US resident and I got it. I don’t think current place of residence has much to do with it. I suspect that most of the overseas commenters here were either born and raised in the UK, as I was, or have spent some years living there and are familiar with words that have long been a part of the vocabulary. But since I haven’t lived in the UK since 1979, I do have some difficulty with more recent slang terms.

Posted December 1, 2013 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

I agree, I was just THICK! Cheers …http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

Posted December 1, 2013 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

OK Merusa and Expat Chris – apologies and I give in. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif

16. pommers
    Posted December 1, 2013 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

That was a brilliant puzzle even by the high standards I’ve come to expect on a Sunday :grin: ***?***** from us! Favourite was 3d but it’s not fair to pick one out of all this good stuff.

Really enjoyed it so thanks to Virgilius and BD.

17. Toni
    Posted December 1, 2013 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

Definitely needed help today. Thanks to both. I couldn’t have done it without you!
    Just one niggle, a brass ********* is not a **** *********. They have a reed.
    Guess a lot of people wouldn’t know that. Just thought, flutes piccolos and recorders are **** ********* without reeds but they’re not brass!

• Posted December 1, 2013 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

Chambers disagrees with you – both types are included in the category given by the answer. I’m sure crypticsue will have more to say in her review next week – you are confusing two types which I am not prepared to explain here.

• Toni
        Posted December 1, 2013 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

Oops sorry for revealing the answer.
        We have 2 of each players in this house.

Posted December 1, 2013 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

I had a look at the BRB before adding some extra lines to my draft review. It is worth looking at the entry for ‘brass’ too.

18. Hrothgar
    Posted December 1, 2013 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

I found this quite difficult, it took an age even to get started.
    But perservation is the key!
    Didn’t help thinking, stupidly, the Rio Grande was a mountain range!
    Some quite brilliant clues eg 16d, 15a (cheeky!) and 10a.
    All in all, thoroughly enjoyable.
    Many thanks,Virgillius and BD

19. neveracrossword
    Posted December 1, 2013 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

After a first sitting, I was left with a few clues outstanding. However, after a splendid roast dinner provided by Mrs n, the remaining obstacles were soon overcome. A bit harder than usual for a Sunday. Thanks to BD for explaining the subtleties of 15a, my last one in.

20. XCoder
    Posted December 1, 2013 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

I remain perplexed about 5d. I am confident that all the checking letters are correct and that means only one word seems to fit, and if the answer is a three part, then I fail to see how the third part works. Quite tricky today, so maybe I need to take another look tomorrow

• Posted December 1, 2013 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

5d Coats painter put on fashionable pottery, we hear (8)
      The usual 2-letter painter and a 2-letter word meaning fashionable are followed by what sounds like (we hear) some pottery.

• una
        Posted December 1, 2013 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

Another problem from the missing telegraph site emerged when I read this hint, as I had the wrong answer (I’ve got it now) but because I couldn’t “submit “, I didn’t know it.My message to the Telegraph, ENOUGH ALREADY.

Posted December 1, 2013 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

What a horror! I normally expect Sundays to be tough but this is the far side of tough.
    Way above my pay grade. Zero fun because it is unintelligible .

• Posted December 1, 2013 at 9:28 pm | Permalink

You are entitled to your opinion, but being “way above your pay grade” does not qualify it for being “a horror”. It is certainly not “unintelligible” and, as I have said many times before, it is a Prize puzzle. Others who follow this blog, like Kath and Mary, seem to have progressed over the last few years, but if you whinge every time you find it difficult you will never improve.

Posted December 1, 2013 at 10:50 pm | Permalink

Oh BD – don’t be mean to Brian – as you say he is entitled to his opinion – and his opinions are pretty good value in general and provoke other comments which surely has to be good for the blog.

• una
      Posted December 1, 2013 at 10:54 pm | Permalink

Well, you did get one right, even if you don’t know it.By the way, when I started blogging you were way ahead of me.I used to long to be able to solve the puzzles you enjoyed.

Posted December 1, 2013 at 11:01 pm | Permalink

Careful – naughty corner for you and it’s late and chilly . . .

• una
          Posted December 1, 2013 at 11:42 pm | Permalink

you are right , I shouldn’t be mean .

• Posted December 1, 2013 at 11:06 pm | Permalink

• Expat Chris
        Posted December 1, 2013 at 11:52 pm | Permalink

Clever!

• Expat Chris
      Posted December 1, 2013 at 11:18 pm | Permalink

Brian, there are some setters that I find to be “above my pay grade” inasmuch as I just can’t make headway with their puzzles. Elgar springs to mind. He defeats me more often than not. However, I respect his skill. This puzzle was more challenging than the usual Sunday offering, certainly, but far from unintelligible, since most of us here today managed to do quite well. I suspect you rather enjoy playing the role of the miserable old git down at the pub who never has a good word to say about anyone or anything. But honestly, it’s wearing thin. Nothing wrong with admitting you had difficulty, but blaming the setter for your shorcomings is not on.

Posted December 1, 2013 at 10:58 pm | Permalink

Here I go again on a non-crossword topic. We’ve just watched the last ever episode of Agatha Christie’s “Poirot” with David Suchet followed by a long interview with him on “Being Poirot”. What an absolute star he is – I’ve heard him interviewed lots of times – he is SO lovely. He isn’t John Thaw http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cry.gif but he and Martin Shaw come pretty close, in my opinion anyway.

23. Myk
    Posted December 1, 2013 at 11:05 pm | Permalink

13d (so do ritual) differently

• Posted December 1, 2013 at 11:07 pm | Permalink

… and your point is?

• una
      Posted December 1, 2013 at 11:48 pm | Permalink

It’s an anagram (wrongly) .

24. Roger
    Posted December 2, 2013 at 7:35 am | Permalink

Monday morning…have to do these a day later now. Way way way outside my capabilities. Not a clue. Not even a sniff with the hints. Given up. Grump.

• Roger
      Posted December 2, 2013 at 10:03 am | Permalink

subscription cancelled. refund on its way.

25. Catnap
    Posted December 2, 2013 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

I thought this puzzle superb. Tricky in places, but what brilliant clues! Very difficult to chose a fave from among them, but I really liked 17a, 23a, and 3d. I managed without Big Dave’s excellent hints. No matter how careful or attentive to parsing the clues I may have been, with a Virgillius puzzle I am always left wondering what subtleties I may have missed! I await the full review with much interest…
    Big thanks to both Virgillius and Big Dave.

26. Robin
    Posted December 3, 2013 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

Still can’t get 5d even with all The acrosses what am I missing?

Posted December 3, 2013 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Robin.
      BD has given a hint for 5d at comment #20 above.

• Posted December 3, 2013 at 8:41 pm | Permalink

I’ve added the hint to the main post – along with an appropriate illustration.