Crossword Centenary Convention

Sloggers, Betters and other Cruciverbalists’

Centenary Convention

+ – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

To commemorate the centenary of the crossword, we really should have a proper get-together for all the regulars, be they high-profile or lurkers.  Everyone, from novices to occasional solvers to the all-correct Listener élite, is welcome.

So we have booked the basement bar (very spacious and not claustrophobia-inducing, just in case ‘basement’ worries you) at Penderel’s Oak, 283–288 High Holborn, London WC1V 7HP (where the recent 3-D crosswords event took place) from 12:00 midday until 7:00 pm on Saturday 21 December, and we hope as many of you as possible will be there (even if you can only make it for a while).

Although they haven’t confirmed yet, we are very much hoping that Alan Connor, John Halpern (Paul, Mudd), and Mick Hodgkin will be there to sign copies of their recently published books (last-minute Christmas* shopping, anyone?), and maybe to say a few words.

We are not planning to organise food, because it’s very easy to order your meal at the bar.  Please do so, because this pub has been very helpful to our crossword community, and the food is pretty good.

So that we can give the pub an idea of numbers, we’d hugely appreciate it if you could let us know of your intentions.  Please email [email protected]. You might not get an individual reply, though I have set up an auto-response, so you should know your mail has been received.

*… oh yes, and there’s that Christmas thing coming up, too. That’s got to be worth a drink, at least!

View Larger Map

Posted November 21, 2013 at 1:18 am | Permalink

I’ll be there, no football that day. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_lol.gif

Posted November 21, 2013 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

I’ve filled in my permission slip (as if he’d dare say no!) and emailed to say that I will be there.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

Posted November 21, 2013 at 10:04 pm | Permalink

I’d really like to come to this but there are lots of buts. We’re not sure yet but we may be up to fourteen over Christmas and I don’t just mean for Christmas Day itself but for several days around it. If that is the case then whether or not I come to London depends on how organised we are – knowing us that will mean probably not! How late can I make up my mind? I really don’t want to make things difficult for the organisers.
    The other thing to celebrate on 21st December is that it’s the shortest day – after that it can only get better! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

• Posted November 22, 2013 at 12:03 am | Permalink

Jane just wants to get an idea of volumes. Feel free to turn up unannounced on the day, but do let her know if you are definitely going.

Posted November 22, 2013 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

OK – thank you. I think it’s fairly unlikely!

4. mcmillibar
    Posted November 25, 2013 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Would love to make it but I am away for work. Never been to a Geekfest.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_biggrin.gifhttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_biggrin.gif