Hints and tips by Gazza

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment **

This seemed like ‘all our yesterdays’ with a politician, a sportsman, an entertainer and a manager all from about fifty years ago. I didn’t think that it was one of Giovanni’s more inspired efforts. Do let us know how you got on and what you thought of it.

If you want to see an answer you’ll need to highlight what’s concealed between the brackets beneath the clue.

Across Clues

1a  Unusually large  component of motor vehicle (6)
{BUMPER} – double definition.

4a  Look at row on grandstand less full? (8)
{SCANTIER} – a charade of a verb to look at carefully and a row of seats.

9a  Insect‘s place revealed by entomologist ultimately (6)
{LOCUST} – a word, from Latin, meaning place is followed by the ultimate letter of (entomologis)T.

10a  Cruel article penned by trendy philosopher (8)
{INHUMANE} – the indefinite article is contained (penned) inside an adjective meaning trendy or popular and the surname of an eighteenth century Scottish philosopher.

11a  Report of former champion jockey in Midlands city (9)
{LEICESTER} – this city sounds like (report of) the forename of an old champion jockey.

13a  Put soldiers around, befitting the Queen? (5)
{ROYAL} – a charade of a verb to put and the abbreviation for ordinary soldiers is all reversed (around).

14a  Name that is seen in capital, say — an entertainer of yesteryear (6,7)
{LONNIE DONEGAN} – insert N(ame) and the abbreviation for ‘that is’ inside our capital city. Then add the abbreviation for say or for example and AN (given in the clue).

17a  Not favouring valley odours? They’re not so bad as they have been (13)
{CONVALESCENTS} – string together a) a word meaning not favouring (the opposite of pro), b) a poetic word for valley and c) odours or distinctive smells.

21a  Look less than half serious, as one generally inept? (5)
{LOSER} – start with an exclamation meaning look or behold then add less than half the letters of serious.

23a  Sailors at home occupying temporary accommodation keeping off the rum? (9)
{ABSTINENT} – the abbreviation for sailors or able seamen is followed by an adverb meaning at home inside (occupying) temporary accommodation.

24a  RIP? Dispense with the slightest sign of grief (8)
{TEARDROP} – a rip or rent is followed by a verb meaning to dispense with or discard.

25a  Gosh — that’s literature? Don’t get so excited! (4,2)
{COOL IT} – an old-fashioned exclamation of surprise and then the abbreviation for literature.

26a  Opinion about American President’s initial apprehension (8)
{SUSPENSE} – put an opinion or feeling around an abbreviation for American and the initial letter of P(resident).

27a  Knight will go round trailing society woman? Rubbish! (6)
{DEBRIS} – reverse (will go round) the title awarded to a knight of the realm and place it behind the abbreviation for a young woman ‘coming out’ into society.

Down Clues

1d  Blooming daughter must get locked up, plainly! (6)
{BALDLY} – this was my last answer. An old-fashioned euphemism for bloody, like blooming,  containing D(aughter).

2d  Fellow embracing Prince’s wife? Not a prime minister! (9)
{MACMILLAN} – a male person containing (embracing) the current wife of the Prince of Wales without her first A.

3d  Manager of Beatles records, number one included (7)
{EPSTEIN} – the abbreviation for old record formats and then a two-digit number with I (one) inside.

5d  Denies identity set up in legal documents (11)
{CONTRADICTS} – reverse (set up, in a down clue) the abbreviation for identity inside legal documents.

6d  Particle of dust finally spotted in cell (7)
{NEUTRON} – the final letter of (dus)T can be seen inside a nerve cell.

7d  Country‘s one match — winger for Arsenal left out (5)
{ITALY} – I (one, in Roman numerals) followed by a verb to match or correspond with one of the outside letters (wingers) of Arsenal omitted.

8d  Wine mature but lacking power? Chuck! (8)
{RIESLING} – an adjective meaning mature lacks its P(ower). That’s followed by a verb to chuck.

12d  Travelling around, spot erratic old creature (11)
{TRICERATOPS} – an anagram (travelling around) of SPOT ERRATIC.

15d  New Testament exponent shows energy, one going through the letters (9)
{GOSPELLER} – this word (sometimes preceded by ‘hot’) describes a zealous preacher or evangelist. It’s a charade of a word for energy or zest and someone who laboriously reads letter by letter.

16d  Cosy tale about ecclesiastical helpers (8)
{ACOLYTES} – an anagram (about) of COSY TALE.

18d  A bony bit between the eyes shows cut (7)
{ABRIDGE} – A (from the clue) and a bony facial feature between the eyes.

19d  Disgusting refusal is nothing to this person (7)
{NOISOME} – a word signifying refusal precedes IS, the letter that looks like zero or nothing and the objective form of the pronoun which the setter uses for himself.

20d  Conditions in parts of America (6)
{STATES} – double definition. America has fifty such parts.

22d  Birds, pale and sickly, landing aboard ship (5)
{SWANS} – an adjective meaning pale and sickly goes inside (landing aboard) the abbreviation for steamship.

My favourite clues today were 2d and 18d. How about you?

Today’s Quickie Pun: {KNIGHT} + {MAYORS} = {NIGHTMARES}

Message from the Puzzles Editor:

Subscribers can now access the Quick crossword via a drop-down menu, such as the Quick listing in the “Puzzles” menu on the Home page.  You won’t be able to access it via the “Today’s Puzzles” panel until it is re-run later today.

1. Michael
    Posted October 11, 2013 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Struggled to get going today – my final answer was 1d as well – I couldn’t ‘parse’ the answer to 2d – the present wife of the Prince of Wales didn’t occur to me!

I can’t say this was fun – a bit of a slog.

2. Graham
    Posted October 11, 2013 at 11:23 am | Permalink

Wow some good old raves from the graves,found parts of this tough going guess im not on the same wavelength as the setter, got there in the end with a little help from gazza (thanks).Wishing all a good weekend weather permitting.

Posted October 11, 2013 at 11:57 am | Permalink

3*/3* for me today. Last one for me was 4a, as i immediately saw ‘row’ as tier, but then tried to fit ‘grandstand’ somewhere into the wordplay! Thanks to Giovanni, and to Gazza.

I quite enjoyed the debut puzzle from the new toughie setter.

• Expat Chris
      Posted October 11, 2013 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Can’t even get started on the toughie! I have one 3-letter answer and a headache…

Posted October 11, 2013 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

I absolutely loved this puzzle. It took a while to get going and I completed it from the bottom up but so many smiles along the way. 1D and 11A and 14A were standouts for me. Many thanks to the setter for a nice start to my day and to Gazza for the review.

Posted October 11, 2013 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

Blimey!! Maybe it’s just me but I found it very difficult – at least 4* and maybe 3* for enjoyment.
    I took absolutely ages to even get started and just carried on very slowly – eventually finished but it’s really taken a long time.
    I thought the capital letters at the beginning of the clue for 24a was pretty sneaky – well, it fooled me anyway. I’ve never heard of the 10a philosopher. Untangling 14a nearly defeated me, and I never know the ‘dinosaury thingies’ so 12d took for ever, especially as I missed the anagram indicator.
    I liked 1, 7 and 18d. My favourite was 25a.
    With thanks to Giovanni and gazza.
    Raining and chilly in Oxford.

• Steve_the_beard
      Posted October 11, 2013 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

May I recommend, as an aide-memoire for philosphers’ names, Monty Python’s Philosophers song?

Apparently, “David Hume could out-consume Schopenhauer and Hegel”

:-)

6. mary
    Posted October 11, 2013 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

I’m finding this tough today going for walk down beach – will be on my 3rd attempt at it when I get back! Definitely more than 2 * for me gazza

Posted October 11, 2013 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Perhaps you’re too young to remember all the old names, Mary. They were all of the right vintage for me.

Posted October 11, 2013 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Me too – apart from the 12d, of course! :D

Posted October 11, 2013 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

Right vintage for me, and I was living in UK at exactly that time, but I still failed to get 14a, I had forgotten all about him.

• mary
        Posted October 12, 2013 at 9:30 am | Permalink

I wish gazza… ;-) but thanks for nice thought

Posted October 11, 2013 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

PS It’s very quiet here so far. Maybe I’m not the only one to find it difficult and everyone else is still battling!

• mary
      Posted October 12, 2013 at 9:34 am | Permalink

Welcome back Kath, hope you had a great and relaxing time, I was longer down the beach than I thought, then I took Shadow for a walk, then eldest son arrived unexpectedly for food! so I didn’t get back to this :-(

8. Bluebird
    Posted October 11, 2013 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

I also completed the bottom half and struggled a lot with top. The four I did get there didn’t help much and I found the clues slightly tricksy….no problem with that per se but it was the hardest of the week for me ***\**.

12d was more reminiscent of a toughie clue because there was more than one anagram possibility (erratic and travelling around as indicators) Was held up for ages trying to make something out of “old creature” when it was “spot erratic”. It was a clever clue though, no question.

Vile weather….

9. Franny
    Posted October 11, 2013 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Well, I thought what fun! But maybe it’s just the euphoria having finished my radiotherapy. When I printed it off this morning I thought I wouldn’t be able to do any of it. Nothing but swans and states the first time through, but then it all started falling into place. 1a and d were last in and I enjoyed 2d and 25a. Many thanks to G&G. :-)

• Expat Chris
      Posted October 11, 2013 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

So glad you’re through with radiotherapy, Franny. It’s a great feeling.

Posted October 11, 2013 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Good for you. I bet you’re so pleased. Hope all goes well from now on.

Posted October 11, 2013 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

Further, if they put you on tamoxifen, be fully aware that it puts weight on some people very rapidly.

• mary
      Posted October 12, 2013 at 9:32 am | Permalink

Hope you’re doing ok Franny, sorry I didn’t know you were going through all that ((((((((((hugs)))))))))

10. BigBoab
    Posted October 11, 2013 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Many thanks to Giovanni for a very enjoyable if un-taxing crossword and to Gazza for the usual immaculate rewiew. ( The toughie by Sparks today is definitely on the easier side for those who would like to start trying them)

• stanXYZ
      Posted October 11, 2013 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Today’s Toughie – Easy?

Ah cannae e’en start th’ bludy thing! Ah dinnae kin.

11. Steve_the_beard
    Posted October 11, 2013 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Why has Gazza put a picture of Frank Skinner next to 11A?

:grin:

• Miffypops
      Posted October 11, 2013 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

I am wondering why Gazza missed an obvious picture opportunity at 4ac

12. una
    Posted October 11, 2013 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

Slow start and I needed several hints, but still fun. Favourite 17a, from lots of others.Thanks to Giovanni and Gazza.

13. Beaver
    Posted October 11, 2013 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

Going for a **/***,like Gazza,1d last in . Remember 14a having 3 consecutive number ones in the 50 ‘ s, and 12d from Jurassic park (lying down injured). Liked 2d and 15d -must say I expected an accompanying Gazza pic of a suitably attired ‘hot’ version of 15d,missed opportunity there!

14. Miffypops
    Posted October 11, 2013 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

A bit of a slog today with too many interruptions to really get going. A nice set from Bob Dylan in Oslo last night. Hopefully my tickets for English shows will turn up tomorrow, Coventry Rugby Club will beat Old Albanians (St Albans, not Albania) and a few beers will make for a very nice day. Thank you very much whatever you do for this site or crosswordland. see you on Monday

15. Attila Thehun
    Posted October 11, 2013 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

This was a slog. Maybe it was just as well I hadn’t finished before Clapham Junction, as there was no Quick Crossword in the iPad edition … which, with the Sudoku, rounds off my morning commute. [I can’t say where my commute starts, as that would give my completion time away. ;-) ]

In passing, the Telewag’s app developers might have fixed some bugs in the latest release, but they’ve introduced some more, annoying ones, especially with the puzzles.

• Toni
      Posted October 11, 2013 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

If you reload the paper, the quick crossword appears.
      Don’t like the new format of the sudoku and if you navigate away from the page it turns all your small numbers into “1”s.

16. Gari
    Posted October 11, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

This Cw would have been alright if I was a quiz expert.

17. Derek
    Posted October 11, 2013 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

This was a VG reminder of the good old days.

Faves :14a & 13d.

Pouring down all day here in NL.

Fish & chips tonight with a dash of Sancerre blanc then mango + cream!

Posted October 11, 2013 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Probably my worst attempt at a Giovanni. At least a 3 star for difficult and probably only a two star for enjoyment. Some really horrible clues today in 4a (scantier does not mean less full but less covered), 14a, 26a, 1d (for including a word NOBODY will ever have heard of surely ) and the worst of all 7d.
    Did like 8d but that was about it for me. Sorry Sir but it’s just my opinion.Thx to Gazza for the much needed hints.

• Posted October 11, 2013 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

Brian

Like you I didn’t enjoy this puzzle, but you are wrong about scantier.

Chambers:

• Deficient
      • Skimpy
      • Lacking fullness
      • Parsimonious

19. Jon Myles
    Posted October 11, 2013 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Whoa….couldn’t get going with this one at all at first.
    Not helped by the DT failing to deliver to the iPad until after 8am again.
    Thought 14a was just too clever for its own good.
    Clever, mind you. But come on…..you’d have to know the name even if you worked it out for the clue. And how many people under 50 would?

Posted October 11, 2013 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

This was way off my wavelength and I missed several answers, needing Gazza’s hints for several. The bottom half saved my sanity. I got 2d and 3d, eventually getting 11a, but missed a lot of others in the top half. At least **** difficulty for me, but a good exercise nevertheless.

21. angel
    Posted October 11, 2013 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Quite a tussle today and not particularly entertaining for me. First read through of Across clues yielded zero answers but then a couple of Down ones dawned and I eventually completed but after much head-scratching and use of reference books. 12 d foxed me even appreciating it was anagram. ****/*.

Posted October 11, 2013 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

Thank you Giovanni, I found this quite difficult, plus I am never very good at puzzles with a lot of general knowledge clues. As it was impossible to stand up at Cley and Salthouse, I managed to finish the puzzle whilst sitting in the car waiting for the rain to stop, and was quite surprised to complete it. Thanks Gazza for the review and hints.

23. neveracrossword
    Posted October 11, 2013 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

6d reminded me of an old entertainer as well – Olivia Neutron-Bomb. I couldn’t remember her name at first and enquired of my wife: “Who was that female singer in Grease?” She replied: “Nana Mouskouri”.

Posted October 11, 2013 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

Loved Nana Mouskouri

Posted October 11, 2013 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the two G’s. Not my favourite puzzle, managed the bottom half ok, but needed 4 hints to finish. I remember all the old names, but didn’t like any of the clues. Favourite was 25a. Was 4*/2* for me. Late commenting due to doing the new Squash Ladder Leagues, still raining in Central London. Going to the pub to suffer watching England :-)

25. Little Dave
    Posted October 11, 2013 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

Tricky and the hardest for a while. Top half particularly tough and did not finish it. Maybe not tuned in? Anyway, come on England!

Posted October 11, 2013 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

The NW corner was the one that held us up longest, in, what for us, was a fairly slow solve.
    Thanks Giovanni and Gazza.

27. Estella
    Posted October 11, 2013 at 11:14 pm | Permalink

I generally enjoy the Telegraph crossword and your blog, thank you, which has got me started doing the puzzles.
    But really, am I the only person under 50 doing it?
    Today’s clues were so old and stuffy I despair – they really have no relevance to me at all.
    And I’m in my 40’s!

Posted October 12, 2013 at 7:22 am | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Estella.

28. Brendan
    Posted October 11, 2013 at 11:21 pm | Permalink

Easily the most enjoyable puzzle of the week. Thanks to Gazza for some excellent comments and to Bufo for getting back to me yesterday.

29. fortis70
    Posted October 12, 2013 at 11:36 am | Permalink

i put boldly for i down that is quite plain as well

Posted October 12, 2013 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

But how does bolly mean blooming?

30. Estella
    Posted October 15, 2013 at 11:18 pm | Permalink

Thanks Gazza and sorry to start on a negative note, I enjoy the puzzles very much but sometimes feel I’m in the wrong generation for them!!

• Una
      Posted October 16, 2013 at 1:28 am | Permalink

I’m in my fifties, and I find some references beyond my experiences. However, most clues don’t need memories of tv shows from long ago, etc, so do keeep blogging !
      P.S you should press the “reply ” button to respond to a remark.