ST 2712 (Hints)

Sunday Telegraph Cryptic No 2712 (Hints)

Hints and tips by Big Dave

Don’t forget that there is a new Monthly Prize Puzzle.

Could new readers please read the Welcome post and the FAQ before asking questions about the site.

Most of the terms used in these hints are explained in the Glossary and examples are available by clicking on the entry under “See also”.  Definitions are underlined in the clues.

7a Warm kind of fire that’s a contradiction in terms? (8)
When this adjective meaning warm is followed by fire it becomes a contradiction in terms

11a Close family wrapping son in fur (8)
A verb meaning to close and a three-letter word for family around (wrapping) S(on)

12a Good ensemble in dance performance, mainly in royal residence (8,6)
An adjective meaning of good behaviour and an ensemble, perhaps one performing a play, inside most of (mainly) a classical dance performance

15a Like Northern people as part of race, you might say (4)
These Northern people sound like part of a race

20a Put right about wrong I, perhaps, interpreted incorrectly (14)
A verb meaning put right or repaired around an anagram (wrong) of I PERHAPS

23a Bloomer as second doctor comes in immediately before operation (8)
S(econd} followed by the abbreviation for D(octo)R, the latter inside (comes in) a three-letter word meaning immediately and OP(eration)

28a Maiden spoke and spoke, in barely audible way (8)
M(aiden) followed by a verb meaning spoke

1d Guitar piece that makes one experience anxiety (4)
Two definitions

2d Boundaries set up by male — that’s unfair to females (6)
Some boundaries scored in cricket are reversed (set up in a down clue) and followed by M(ale)

6d Unlike readers, the writer will perform repeatedly (10)
The abbreviation for the writer will, in the first person, followed by a verb meaning to perform repeatedly

8d Movement in no hurry to follow left-winger (3-4)
A verb meaning to follow and then someone with left-wing political views

14d Unsociable type‘s side-splitting joke? (5)
This unsociable type could be built by taking a three-letter joke, as in “have you heard the (joke) about”, inside (splitting) the two sides [Thanks to Crypticsue for the improved explanation]

16d Weapon the old man has for response to challenge (8)
Split as (2’1,5) this could describe a weapon belonging to the old man

26d A border that’s said to require attention (4)
The A from the clue followed by a border

If you need further help then please ask and I will see what I can do.

Today it’s Happy Birthday to Ricky Hatton (34) and Britt Ekland (70)

1. jezza
    Posted October 6, 2013 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

I found this a little trickier than normal, perhaps as a consequence of last night’s revelry! Very enjoyable as always though…
    Many thanks to Virgilius, and to BD.

2. Catherine Smith
    Posted October 6, 2013 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

please could you give a clue for 22 down

• Prolixic
      Posted October 6, 2013 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

The abbreviation for new followed by a word meaning strange and the abbreviation for editor give a word that indicates a sign of approval

• Catherine Smith
        Posted October 6, 2013 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

Many thanks

3. mary
    Posted October 6, 2013 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

Found this really difficult and had to resort to Dave’s hints for a few, thanks Dave, no favourite clue today, no real complaints, just too hard for me!

4. neveracrossword
    Posted October 6, 2013 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

3.5* for me. Last one in was 26d because I was thinking of another kind of border whose letters fitted.

Posted October 6, 2013 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

Too tough for me today. Managed the top half -just- but most of the bottom is a mystery. Too many complex clues for my liking and no true anagrams.
    Even with BDs clues I can’t answer 26d, 16d, 14d or 20a.
    Still at least the sun is shining and I can pick some more apples from this years bumper crop.

• Brian
      Posted October 6, 2013 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Stop press! Mrs B got 14d and the rest then fell into place.
      Last in was 26d which was a really clever bit of misdirection.
      Still think it was tough with complex clues but Thx to BD (more thought unravelled the hints) have completed it.

Posted October 6, 2013 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Well done Mrs B – had you thought of printing off her own copy of the puzzle for her and having a competition ? :)

• steve_the_beard
          Posted October 6, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Sounds like a recipe for disaster, that! :-)

• Tantalus
            Posted October 6, 2013 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

Give the Mrs her own copy? CS can’t be serious?

6. una
    Posted October 6, 2013 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

A really fabulous puzzle though I just can’t make out the second word of 8d, despite the hint !I have to go out soon but I’d love to finish this first . Help!

• una
      Posted October 6, 2013 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Got it , finally. Thanks to Virgillus and BD, lots of favourites, but perhaps 9a wins out, or 19a.

7. Roger
    Posted October 6, 2013 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Oh so tough…so very very tough.

8. Poppy
    Posted October 6, 2013 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

Apart from being completely stumped by 16d in spite of having all the checking letters, I was delighted to finish this. 26d made me laugh and I see I put a few asterisks beside other clues that I especially enjoyed – but won’t go for a plurality of faves as even tho Kath is away (we miss you Kath & hope you’re having a sp,ended break) she might be watching :-) . Thank you setter & BD. We’ve just had a huge cooked ‘breakfast’ post Harvest Festival and now need to walk it off with Poppy’s enthusiastic help. Loved the chatter yesterday, even tho couldn’t join in. Greetings to all.

9. Poppy
    Posted October 6, 2013 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

P.S. if anyone can give me a pointer to 16d in addition to BD’s kind hint I’d be most grateful. I’m being very slow to catch on today…..

Posted October 6, 2013 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

BD’s hint is very clear. Look at the defnition – put a weapon (5) after a way of saying belonging to ‘the old man’.

• steve_the_beard
        Posted October 6, 2013 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Assuming that the old man is a gentleman, of course :-)

• mary
      Posted October 6, 2013 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

I think the definition here Poppy i.e. the answer your looking for is a bit obscure – you are looking for a word that means response to challenge, in this case it is a verbal response, I think I am allowed to say that, although these days it is often used on computers too, you want a three letter word for ‘the old man has’ followed by a weapon

• Poppy
        Posted October 7, 2013 at 7:29 am | Permalink

Thanks so much – a real d’oh moment (yet again)! Not helped by my blunder over a wrong first letter so no wonder I was travelling nowhere at the speed of light.

Posted October 6, 2013 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Virgilius and to Big Dave for the hints. Found this very enjoyable, but quite tricky. Lots of really good clues, favourite was 6d, which was last in. Was 3*/4* for me. A lovely day in Central London, got a run in this morning. Come on the Gooners!

11. Tantalus
    Posted October 6, 2013 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Naughty Kath bans livid dingus for praise (6,2,3,8)

Praise to our leader and the setter from anagram (naughty) of KATH BANS LIVID DINGUS.

• Heno
      Posted October 6, 2013 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

David’s in his blankgut ?

• Tantalus
        Posted October 7, 2013 at 12:27 am | Permalink

Thanks bd and Virgilius!

• Only fools
          Posted October 7, 2013 at 12:37 am | Permalink

What’s an R between friends ?

• Heno
            Posted October 7, 2013 at 9:35 am | Permalink

No wonder I couldn’t solve it !

Posted October 6, 2013 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

After struggling with a few puzzles this past week, I was right on wavelength here. It wasn’t read and write in, but got the answers with just a little thought. I wish you hadn’t put the illustration for 11a, that is my pet peeve. I did enjoy this, sorry it’s over. Thanks to Virgilius and BD.

Posted October 6, 2013 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

Lovely stuff. I thoroughly enjoyed this. 8D was the last one in and is an expression I’m not familiar with. Faves are 3D, 6D 16D, 26D and 17A. Thatnks to BD for the review and to Virgilius for the fun.

Posted October 6, 2013 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

Thank you Virgilius – got there in the end with help from Mrs SW. Found this hard compered with many Sunday puzzles and wasn’t the usual good fun with a lot of laughs ! Thanks BD for the hints – I did check them all to check my answers, ‘cos I was so unsure ! been slacking this p.m. – sitting on the beach at Cley in the sunshine instead of tramping round the reserve !

15. Tantalus
    Posted October 6, 2013 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

We are stuck on the final two 25a and 22d, help please. Got 22d (doh).

Thanks BD and Virgilius.

• mary
      Posted October 6, 2013 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

25a- Tantali – (as there are two of you) or are you Tantuluses? Anyway I digress……a three letter word for strike, as in hit, comes after a three letter word for base, to give you a word for ‘confused situation’ as in *** **** ** * ****** ******* ****** ( I think)

• mary
        Posted October 6, 2013 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

Sorreeee :-(

16. Toni
    Posted October 6, 2013 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

All I could see in 8d was *** ****.. Don’t think I’ve broken any rules there!

• mary
      Posted October 6, 2013 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

Depends who’s on duty for the crossword police! You may have given a couple of letters away…

• Posted October 6, 2013 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

I’m watching you!

• mary
          Posted October 6, 2013 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

Ooops, thought you’d be watching Arsenal ;-) Looks like Liverpool will stay top :-)

• Heno
            Posted October 6, 2013 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

Dave’s a Spurs fan, maybe he was watching us to see us lose :-)

• mary
              Posted October 7, 2013 at 9:49 am | Permalink

Well done Arsenal even though they knocked us off the top, at least one of my sons and grandson no 4 will be happy

• Posted October 6, 2013 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

“please don’t put any ANSWERS, whether WHOLE, PARTIAL or INCORRECT … … in your comment”

• mary
      Posted October 6, 2013 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

You see what I mean – never can get past the crossword police! You and I will be picking up crumbs in the naughty corner Toni!!!!

• Toni
        Posted October 6, 2013 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

Oops sorry, it definitely woudn’t have helped anybody unless they were daft :)

17. Toni
    Posted October 6, 2013 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

Now I have to grovel and ask for help with 13d please.
    I haven’t got 27a but that may fall into place if I get the down one.

Ps not keen on cake, is there any chocolate in the naughty corner?

• Michael
      Posted October 6, 2013 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

Err…think of a wind instrument with ‘in’ in the middle – then take out the ‘in’.

Secondary clue – ******** ********* ******!

• Toni
        Posted October 6, 2013 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

Got them both with your hints. Thanks for the help.

• Heno
      Posted October 6, 2013 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

13d another word for friend written around a word for preparing to fight.

• una
      Posted October 6, 2013 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

Am I allowed to suggest concentrate on the end of the clue ? 27a is obvious, especially after you’ve got it.

Posted October 6, 2013 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

Yet another great crossword for a Sunday! My rating is 2.5* for difficulty and 4* for enjoyment.

As seems to have been my pattern throughout this week, one quarter (the SW today) took me longer than the other three put together. 15a was my last one in.

Even though I got the answer for 14d quickly, I struggled for a while to understand the wordplay until I finally got the joke. 

A long list of great clues, with special mentions for 12a, 20a, 2d and 15d.

Many thanks to Virgilius and to BD.

19. ade
    Posted October 7, 2013 at 12:56 am | Permalink

9a. whats that all about then?

• Posted October 7, 2013 at 8:15 am | Permalink

You have changed your email address – both should work now.

• ade
        Posted October 7, 2013 at 9:25 am | Permalink

Sorry yes I have a couple of domains. Question is still how does 9a work though, even though I think, in fact (!) I have the answer ?

• mary
          Posted October 7, 2013 at 9:46 am | Permalink

You need a five letter word for ‘make a recovery’ around i.e. ‘without’ the one letter abbreviation for a certain drug to give you ‘in fact’